NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center, On-Line Library




time of his death, and the business still represents a part of the substantial estate which he left. Mr. Luft was a man of boundless energy, was liberal and progressive as a citizen, and his admirable traits of character won and retained to him the high regard of all with whom he came in contact. He served about five years as vice-president of the Irrigators' Bank at Scottsbluff, his retirement from this office having occurred in 1905. The honors of public office and the activities of practical politics had no allurement for him, but he was aligned as a staunch advocate and supporter of the principles of the Democratic party. He was affiliated with the Masonic fraternity and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and was an active member of the Methodist Episcopal church, as is also his widow, who still maintains her home at Scottsbluff.
   At Harrisburg, Banner county, on the 8th of December, 1890, was solemnized the marriage, of Mr. Luft to Miss Clara B. Shumway, who was born and reared in Illinois, where she was afforded excellent educational advantages, including those of Knox Academy. She is a sister of G. L. Shumway, editor of this history of western Nebraska, and on other pages are found ample data concerning, the Shumway family. Mrs. Luft became one of the popular and successful members of the pedagogic profession in Nebraska, and in 1885 she had the distinction of becoming the first county superintendent of schools in Banner county, a position of which she continued the efficient incumbent until the time of her marriage. Mrs. Luft is a woman of most gracious personality and has been a leader in the literary and social circles of the city of Scottsbluff. The home life of Mr. and Mrs. Luft was ideal in its every relation, and thus to Mrs. Luft remain as consolation and compensation the gracious memories of a devoted companionship. She has no children.

    WILLIAM BRADDOCK, deceased, pioneer and one of the most prominent figures in the development and settlement of Dawes county, was for years one of the best known ranchmen and cattle breeders in western Nebraska, where he gained a high reputation for his introduction of thoroughbred cattle, being one of the first men in this section to realize that well bred stock paid the best. He won marked success with the able assistance of his wife who for years was the one whom he consulted in business matters.
   Mr. Braddock was born December 26, 1858, near Marshalltown, Iowa, the son of Martin and Deliah (Lepley) Braddock both natives of Knox county, Ohio, the father being of English and the mother of Pennsylvania Dutch descent. William was the fifth child in a family of eleven children, consisting of six boys and five girls. His father moved to Marshalltown, Iowa, in 1850, and homesteaded the farm where he lived the rest of his life. William was reared in the country, and worked on the farm in his younger days so that his school privileges were limited, but he came of stock that was thrifty and industrious and laid the foundation in his youth for the great accomplishments of after years. The school that taught him most was that of experience and he learned well. He first earned money as a young boy and early learned its value. Mr. Braddock remained at home most of the time until the. fall of 1884. He had already heard of the great opportunities open for a young man with grit and energy in the western part of Nebraska and came that year by rail to Valentine, the end of the road at the time, then joined a company of freighters to go the rest of the way. They reached Beaver valley on Thanksgiving day and Mr. Braddock often spoke of that memorable day and the beautiful appearance of the valley. He took a pre-emption at once which is still the property of his widow and heirs. As soon as possible Mr. Broddock built a dugout on his claim and prepared to pass the winter of 1884-95. In the spring he went over onto Bordeaux creek to get lumber for some building as there was a small saw mill then owned by G. W. Messenger. The distance was only about twelve miles but on the trip a hard snow storm came up and covered all the landmarks so that Mr. Braddock became lost and wandered in the white waste for two days before finding his dugout. That was a hard winter as the snow was the deepest ever known in this section and it laid three feet on a level from December to spring. One of the amusing experiences told by Mr. Braddock was of his winter in the dugout. He was lonely as neighbors were far apart and few and he did not trust the few prowling Indians as he believed they resented the settlers coming in and taking their hunting grounds, though they lived on a reservation. He spent many wakeful nights and heard many queer noises and after weeks of anxiety found that some sand mice had been carrying corn from his supplies up to a human skull that he had found on the prairie and kept on a shelf. After that he slept better. With the spring Mr. Braddock broke some of his land and farmed a little, took up a homestead and later



a tree claim. The tree claim was some distance from his other land and he found it impractible (sic) to handle and finally sold it, that being the only piece of land of which he disposed in his many years of ranch life. As soon as he made a little money Mr. Braddock would buy some cattle brand them and turn them out on the range. In the fall he would join in the round up with the large cattle owners and bring his cattle back to the home range. He kept doing this year after year until he had a large herd.
   March 28, 1899, Mr. Braddock married Miss Julia Anna Jacobson, who was born near Nevada, Iowa, the daughter of John H. and Dora (Tow) Jacobson, both of Scandinavian descent. in the spring of 1885, the Jacobsen family came to Sheridan county, Nebraska, and took a pre-emption northwest of Rushville, seven miles, where they lived twenty years then moved near Mullen, Hooker county and continued in the ranch business. Mrs. Braddock went through the common schools and was teaching at the age of sixteen. Later she attended the Rushville high school. She received only twenty-five dollars a month but invested what money she could in calves each year and when she was married added twenty head of fine cows to her husband's large herd. Of this accomplishment she was justly proud. After her marriage they worked harder than ever as both she and her husband toiled early and late. They attained a remarkable success however, and she feels that they were well repaid, as at one time they had twenty-five hundred head of cattle before the free range was done away with. After that the owners sold many cattle and kept smaller herds. Mr. Braddock was one of the first men to see far ahead and realize that irrigation was to be the great thing in western Nebraska and built nine miles of ditches on his ranch, as he had the priority water rights from Beaver creek along which his land streched (sic) for fourteen miles. His entire ranch is fenced with four wires and cross fenced with posts every rod so that that (sic) his improvements were some of the best in the west. The Braddock ranch has five hundred acres of alfalfa which is usually cut three times a season, two hundred acres are native wheat grass meadow which usually cuts three hundred tons of hay per year, and the ranch is one of the best located and most beautiful in the state, lying in the beautiful Beaver and White river valleys. It stands as an enduring monument to the man and woman who spent so many years of their life here, reclaiming the virgin prairie to productive farm purposes. In 1908, Mr. Braddock bought his first registered Herefords, gradually worked out of grades and into pure bred cattle. At the heighth (sic) of his career he died, January 7, 1917, a great loss to his community and mourned by all who knew him. After her husband's death, Mrs. Branddock (sic) with undaunted courage assumed the full control of her husband's business and has made an enviable record as a business woman in the northwestern country where she is widely and well known. Her large herd of Anexiety 4th cattle, some seven hundred in number, are said to be the finest in the country by experienced cattle men who are breeders themselves. Mrs. Braddock had the honor of having the first show herd of this kind of cattle exhibited at a National Stock Show, from Dawes county and the county boasts that it has more pure bred white faces than in any territory of its size in the United States. Mrs. Braddock exhibited at the Denver Cattle Show of January, 1921, where she won a premium on every animal exhibited. This in competition with veteran breeders who have been showing cattle for many years, a rather unusual honor for a woman. When asked by a friend, "Mrs. Braddock, were you not surprised?" She replied, "No, this was not thought out or accomplished in a day. Many months of careful watching of the development of different individuals are necessary in the selection of a show animal, and I have made an intensive study of the various types of beef cattle for several years. Right now I am planning and preparing for the 1922 shows."
   Mrs. Braddock is a woman of high culture and refinement as she has studied these many years in spite of the trials and hardships she endured on the ranch in the early days. She has two cultured daughters, Gladys Enid, who after graduating from the Chadron State Normal School, in Chadron attended the Nebraska State University, at Lincoln and is now attending the University of Chicago, and Wilma Doris, who is in the ninth grade of the normal school at Chadron. Mrs. Braddock has a beautiful home in Chadron and now lives surrounded by all the luxuries and comforts that wealth and culture can afford but she says that wealth is not all in life to live for and is desirous of assisting in the farther development and improvement of Dawes county where she has played an important part in stock raising and agriculture. She stands high in the community respected by her business associates and loved by the many old friends. Few women have been able to take up such a large business enterprise and make the success that she has.



   J. H. WILHERMSDORFER, county judge of Sioux county two terms, is one of the well known business men of this locality who has taken an active part in the development of the Panhandle for many years, and is today once of the leading automobile dealers of his section.
   Judge Wilhermsdorfer was born in Kirkwood, Illinois, October 16, 1866, the son of Solomon and Mary M. (Kness) Wilhermsdorfer. He was reared in Illinois and Iowa and received his educational advantages in the latter state, at Abingdon, where he completed his schooling. The early years of his business life the judge spent in Iowa but came to Nebraska in 1901, and located in Sioux county, where he at once began to take an active part in the civic life of Harrison, as he was an aggressive business man and took a deep interest in the general welfare of the town which he made his home. In 1904, he was elected county judge and took his seat on the bench of Sioux county, serving two terms, which attests to his ability as a judge and how well he satisfied the people of the county. The judge's third term in office was but recent, as he was elected in 1920. After locating here the judge began to look around for good property in which to invest, and chose ranching land, which he managed himself. For some time now he has owned a garage in Harrison, being the local agent of Ford cars and trucks in this part of the county. He has built up an excellent business which brings in most satisfactory returns.
   From 1898 to 1910, the judge was a member of the National Guard of Iowa. He is a Republican, a member of the Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias, and the Modern Woodmen of the World and A. F. & A. M.
   October 25, 1892, Judge Wilhermsdorfer married Miss Zua E. Bowman, at Fairfield, Iowa, the daughter of Samuel Bowman, and one son has been born to this union: Moritz, who is at home. He graduated from the high school and then entered the engineering department of the University of Nebraska, a member of the class of 1923. At the present time he is at home for the summer vacation.
   Judge Wilhermsdorfer is one of the substantial and progressive men of his community who is helping to "put the Panhandle of Nebraska an the map," as he has strong convictions about civic duty and is not afraid to voice them. He is progressive in his own business and believes in having the public business run in the same manner. While on the bench he served his county well and faithfully and gained a high standing as a result of his judicial duties.

    JOHN H. NEWLIN is a pioneer settler of the Panhandle, school teacher, rancher, and newspaper man. There are few people in what was old Sioux county who are not familiar with this man who has played an important part in the development of his section, and is today most highly respected and well fixed with worldly goods of his own accumulating.
   John Hamilton Newlin was born in Ripley, Brown county, Ohio, May 22, 1853, the son of Nathaniel and Melissa (Hamilton) Newlin.
   The father was born in Brown county, Ohio, March 4, 1820; he was left motherless when less than two years of age and was reared by Samuel Pangeburn, a prominent miller at Ripley. The mother was born near Cincinnati, Ohio, September 30, 1823; she was left an orphan when young and was reared by an uncle named William Gates, of Mason county, Kentucky. She met Nathaniel Newlin and they were married at Ripley, Ohio, March 15, 1843. Ten children were born to this union, of whom six still live, the oldest being seventy-seven years of age and the youngest fifty-seven years old. After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Newlin moved to Peoria, Illinois, in 1855, and three years later to Mendota, the same state, and from there came west to Dallas county, Iowa, in 1868. After two years there they removed to Guthrie county, where they continued to reside many years. Mrs. Newlin died in 1896, and her husband in 1898. They are buried at Bayard, Iowa. In early life Mr. Newlin was a cooper and followed his trade until he became a farmer, an occupation he followed after coming west.
   John H. Newlin received his education in the common schools of Illinois and later of Iowa. He early became a farmer and also was a school teacher, making a success of both vocations. In May, 1890, Mr. Newlin came to the Panhandle, locating in Sioux county, where he filed on a government claim in Hat Creek valley, becoming one of the early settlers of that section. He improved his land and was one of the homesteaders who became well known. From 1897 to 1903, he lived on rented land in Wyoming. Before coming to Nebraska he had lived on the frontier in Kansas, having gone there in 1877, but after spending four years in that unsettled country, returned to Iowa in February, 1881. He taught school there, also taught after taking up his land in the Hat Creek valley and later, during his residence in Wyoming, becoming one of the well known and popular teachers wherever he had a school.
   Having a natural bent for journalism, Mr. Newlin decided to engage in that profession



and on February 1, 1904, bought the Harrison Sun, of which he was the able owner and manager until June 1, 1921. During that long period he became one of the prominent figures among the newspaper men of western Nebraska, as he published a well printed sheet, containing all the latest news of the day, with able editorials upon important questions of the day and political matters, and supplied the territory which the Sun served with an up-to-date publication of which the people were proud, and one of benefit to the community. It was with regret that Mr. Newlin's friends learned that he was to retire from journalism. From first settling in the Panhandle, Mr. Newlin took an active part in all public affairs, as he served as treasurer of the Harrison school board for many years; was secretary of the Harrison Cemetery Association, and a member of the village board two years.
   He is a Republican in politics and says that he cast his first vote for President Hayes in 1876. He is a member of the Odd Fellows lodge, having filled all the chairs in that organization, and was delegate to the Grand Lodge of which he is also a member. He belongs to the Rebekah lodge, Palestine Encampment, Chadron, Nebraska, and is a member of the Methodist church.
   May 29, 1890, Mr. Newlin was married at Harrison, Nebraska, to Miss Ella M. Conner, the daughter of William W. and Nancy (Carson) Conner. Mrs. Newlin was born near Cullom, Cass county, Nebraska, December 8, 1863, and according to the family history is a distant relative of the famous Kit Carson of frontier days and fame. She was left an orphan at the age of fifteen years, but received a high school education and upon graduating taught school in Iowa, Nebraska, and Wyoming until she married. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Newlin: Jessie Eva, a graduate of the Chadron State Normal School and the holder of a life certificate in Nebraska and Wyoming, was married August 29, 1920, to Milo E. Wolff, at Hot Springs, South Dakota, and they now live in Wyoming; Bessie M., also a graduate of the Chadron Normal School, who holds a life certificate in this state, has taught in Nebraska and Wyoming. She is now at home, being a linotype operator in the Sun office; and Nellie B., who died September 26, 1903, in Harrison, aged three years.
   Mrs. Newlin, then Miss Ella Conner, came. to Sioux county from Guthrie county, Iowa, in April, 1888, and pre-empted 160 acres of government land in the Hat Creek valley, where she was living at the time of her marriage.

    FRED WILLIAM MEYER, the owner and editor of the Harrison Sun, is one of the well known newspaper men of the Panhandle, where he has taken a leading part in molding public opinion through the columns of his paper. No man wields a wider influence than one who is associated with the press of the country, and Mr. Meyer is no exception to this rule; for he has been enterprising and progressive in his own affairs and has reflected these qualities in the Sun, which supplies the Harrison district with the latest news of the day, encourages all movements for the betterment of the community and gives the people excellent service; for he is a practical man of affairs and is not merely theoretical in his views of politics and matters pertaining to public welfare. The people are to be congratulated that they have such excellent newspaper service and such an able man for its manager.
   Fred W. Meyer is a native son of Nebraska, born at Platte Center, May 20, 1886, the son of Fred and Evangeline (Rosekrans) Meyer, the former a native of Germany, while the mother was born in Pennsylvania. They came to this state about fifty years ago and located on a farm near Platte Center, became prosperous farmers and today live retired, enjoying the fruits of the many years of labor. There were eight children in the Meyer family: Minnie, John, William, Lena, Anna, Sena, Martha, and Fred W., of this review. He attended the excellent public schools of his district, then entered the high school of Platte Center, where he graduated in 1904. Being ambitious, Mr. Meyer then attended the Wayne Normal College at Wayne; spent three years there and, in 1907, entered the University Of Nebraska, receiving the degree of Bachelor of Science upon graduating. Entering upon the duties of his profession as teacher, he now holds a life state teacher's certificate. Mr. Meyer became superintendent of the city schools of Platte Center, a position which he held five years, which attests to his ability as an organizer and administrative head. He then accepted a position in the treasurer's office, which he filled four and a half years before resigning to become a member of the newspaper fraternity, having bought the Harrison Sun. In the meantime Mr. Meyer had invested in a large ranch, having taken a Kinkade homestead ten miles south of Harrison which he has improved and there demonstrated that the educated man makes a good farmer. In all these enterprises he had prospered, due to his ability, foresight, and excellent management.

Prior page
General index
Next page

   © 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller