NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library
Letter/label or bar

Letter/label or bar

Picture button

Letter/label or bar

Letter/label or barLAUDIUS JONES, deceased, was for many years an important figure in the commercial circles of Seward county, who contributed much to the progress of the community. He was a man of the utmost personal honor and business probity; earnest and pushing in his own affairs; kind and sympathetic in his neighborhood relations, with a kind word, and a helping hand for every uplifting and forward movement.

      Claudius Jones was born in Orleans county, New York, in 1827, and was a son of David and Cynthia Jones. His father was a native of Wales, who on coming to the United States settled in New York state, where he followed farming as an occupation until the time of his death.

      Mr. Jones spent his boyhood days in the county of his nativity receiving his education from the schools of that county, after which he engaged in farming for a number of years, but owing to a feeble constitution he was compelled to leave the farm, and was shortly afterwards married to Miss Harriet I. Weed. She was a native of the same county, her parents being among its earliest settlers. To this union were born two sons and three daughters, four of whom survive him: Harry T. Jones, Hattie L. Tipton, Anna B. Brown and Emma T. Jones, three of whom now make their home in Seward county, Nebraska.

      In about the year 1859 Mr. Jones removed to Chicago, Illinois, and was engaged in business in that city for several years. On the breaking out of the Civil war he gave proof of his patriotism and love of country by assisting in organizing a regiment in that city, of which he was to have been colonel. His ill health prevented him from accepting this position, but he was allowed to name its commanding officer.

      After remaining several years in Chicago Mr. Jones removed to Monmouth, Illinois, where he assisted in the organization of the First National Bank of that city, and served as its cashier until 1870, when on account of failing health he was compelled to dispose of his interests there, and the same year removed to Lincoln, Nebraska, where for a time he engaged in the handling of state and county warrants.

     In 1873 Mr. Jones became a resident of Seward county, and established the State Bank of Nebraska, of which he was president and sole owner. He successfully con-



ducted this business until 1879, when his health again failed him, and he disposed of this bank and turned his attention to farming and cattle raising, and was thus profitably and pleasantly engaged for many years. In 1883 he established the Jones National Bank and was its president until 1895. At the time of his death, which occurred in November, 1896, he was the most extensive real estate owner and farmer in this section of the state, as well as director of the Jones National Bank, thus showing what energy and perseverance can accomplish in spite of poor health and a feeble constitution.

      Mr. Jones was a man of public spirit and a strong conviction of duty; besides attending to his own extensive interests he ever found time to take an active part in public affairs. When the bonds for the A. & N. railroad, amounting to $75,000,000, had been issued in this county and in a manner which he believed to be fraudulent, he took a strong ground in opposition to this proposition and at once set about to defeat them in the courts. This he accomplished only after a bitter fight and the free use of his time and money, saving Seward county an immense sum of money, but for his services he received nothing in return.

      The name of Claudius Jones is inseparably connected with the history of Seward county; each step of progress bore the marks of his handwork, and he has left behind him monuments that will survive him and his posterity for many years. His widow is still living and is tended with care by her children. A portrait of Mr. Jones appears on another page of this volume. 

      HARRY T. JONES, the only living son of Claudius Jones, is well known as one of the successful bankers of this part of Nebraska, He was educated in this (Seward) county, and prepared himself for a business career under the careful supervision of his father. In 1883 he entered the Jones National Bank as its cashier and in 1891 secured a controlling interest in this well known financial institution, and is at the present its president and active manager. Besides giving his personal attention to the management of the bank, he is the largest owner of farmland in Seward county.

      In 1894 he was united in marriage with Miss Emma Totten, and this union has proved a happy one in every way. Socially he is a member of the Masonic fraternity, being a Knight Templar, and he is also a Knight of Pythias. In politics he is an ardent Republican and is considered one of the leaders of that party in this county, but has never sought political office. He is managing an extensive business and has important interests in his hands, and finds life sufficiently full for him without the excitement of political ambition. 

Letter/label or barON. CHARLES ARTEMUS WARNER, an extensive land-owner, and an old soldier with a most enviable record, is one of the best known citizens of Fillmore county, Nebraska. His residence is located on section 18, in Chelsea township, near the city of Geneva.

      Mr. Warner was born in Ogle county, Illinois, October 7, 1846, the son of James and Jemima (Hammond) Warner, the former a native of Germany, and the latter of the state of Vermont. The parents both died in Ogle county, Illinois, the father at the age of seventy-six years, and the mother at the early age of thirty-five years.

      Upon the death of his mother, young Charles A. Warner, then ten years of age, started out to make a living for himself. For several years following he worked for various parties, attending the public schools during the winter months, until at the breaking out of the war of the Rebellion, he enlisted in the service of his country, and was enrolled in Company F, Thirty-fourth Illi-



nois Volunteer Infantry, on the 7th day of September, 1861. December 22, 1863, his entire regiment enlisted as veterans, and thus preserved their old organization intact.

      The subject of this sketch took part in many of the most bloody struggles of the war, and innumerable skirmishes, among which the following may be named: Shiloh (Pittsburg Landing), Siege of Corinth, Clayville (Kentucky), Laverne (Tennessee), Triune, Stone River, Liberty Gap, Mission Ridge, Rocky Face, Resaca, Rome, Dallas, Kenesaw Mountain, Peach Tree Creek, Siege of Atlanta, Jonesboro, and various skirmishes through the state of Georgia on the march to Savannah. Also in the campaign of the Carolinas, including Averysboro, Bentonville, Goldsboro and Raleigh. Our youthful soldier was in all of these battles, and upon two occasions came near being killed or disabled. At Resaca, while crossing an open place in the face of the enemy, his Springfield rifle being on his shoulder, caught an ounce ball between the lock-plate and the stock. He preserved that ball for many years, but it was finally lost in the fire which destroyed his father's house. The second incident occurred at Rome, Georgia, when on May 1, 1864, his regiment with the army was making a charge on the enemy's line, he was struck by a grape-shot upon the buckle of his belt, and undoubtedly it was owing to the weight and thickness of the buckle that his life was saved. He was never in the hospital but once, and that was for a period of two weeks, during an attack of the measles.

      At the time he enlisted in the army he was but fifteen years of age, but his weight and size enabled him to pass the required tests, his weight at that time being one hundred and forty-seven pounds. In 1862, when only sixteen years old, he was made a corporal, and on March 1, 1864, he was promoted to be sergeant, and at the time of his discharge, July 12, 1865, he was acting orderly sergeant of his company, being at that time not yet nineteen years old. He attended the great review at Washington, and after nearly four years of arduous service he returned to his home to follow the peaceful pursuits of a farmer, but not until after Johnston had laid down his arms to General Sherman.

      After his return home he rented a farm and undertook to make a home for himself. In April, 1871, he converted his holdings into money and went to Nebraska, where he homesteaded a tract of land, comprising the northeast quarter of section 18, in Chelsea township, where he still resides. He has added tract after tract to his original holdings, until he is now the owner of 700 acres of excellent land in Chelsea township.

      On January 18, 1874, Mr. Warner was united in wedlock with Miss Hattie Leonard, daughter of Abram G. and Catherine (King) Leonard. Mrs. Warner's antecedents on her father's side are of German descent, and on her mother's side of Scotch lineage. Mr. and Mrs. Warner are the parents of five children, named in the order of their births as follows: Lula, Harry A., Charles J., Leonard H. and Orpha Luella. Harry A. was married January 17, 1897, to Miss Hattie Robinson. They live one mile east of the old home place. The other children are all at home except Leonard, who is a volunteer soldier, enlisted in Company G, First Nebraska Volunteer Infantry, and is now in Manila with his regiment, and owing to his happy disposition, as well as that of his messmates, who occupy the same tent with him, they are known as the "Happy Four."

      Mr. Warner's services to his community have always been of the highest order. For the past twenty-five years the schools of his district have demanded much of his attention, and he has always taken a great interest in educational matters, and done what he could to advance their welfare in every



way possible. In 1873 he was elected sheriff of Fillmore county, and re-elected for two succeeding terms. He relates a story to the effect that at one time he was directed to arrest a party charged with some crime, and there being no place for keeping such prisoners, he had to bring him to his own home, and during the time he was thus keeping him, our subject was invited to a wedding. He was not long in deciding what to do under the circumstances, so he took his prisoner with him and they attended the wedding together.

      In 1890 Mr. Warner was again called upon to serve his community and county, being unanimously elected state senator from the district composed of the counties of York and Fillmore. He was instrumental in procuring the passage of the laws establishing the Industrial Schools for Girls, which have been of so much benefit to the state, and Mr. Warner is especially proud of his record in connection with these measures, as it was largely due to his untiring efforts and influence that the measures were enacted into law. Mr. Warner is an old-fashioned Republican, having cast his first vote for John C. Fremont, and his last for William McKinley as president. In religious sentiment he is a Baptist. 

Letter/label or barON. B. D. REMINGTON, the present treasurer of Seward county, is a gentleman of unusual ability and large experience, and is discharging the duties of his responsible office in a most satisfactory manner. He is a farmer by occupation, and represents the best type of his kind. Because he tills the soil, he has never thought it necessary to shut himself within the lines of his home farm. He has for years taken a deep and intelligent interest in public affairs, and on more than one occasion he has served his community in matters of vital importance. It is the opinion of his friends that his career is not to be terminated at the end of his present term.

      Mr. Remington was born in Rock county, Wisconsin, May 7, 1849, into the family of Amos and Matilda (Munger) Remington. His father was from Ohio and his mother from New York. The senior Remington was a farmer and settled in Wisconsin in 1842. He spent something like a quarter of a century in that state, and in 1867 removed to Missouri in search of a balmier climate. Two years later he bought a home in Page county, Iowa, where he lived until his death in May, 1896. He was the father of one son and two daughters who survived to reach maturity. The son, whose name introduces this article, spent his youth and early manhood in Wisconsin. He attended the public school of his own community, and was a student for three years at the Evansville Seminary, an institution which has been the only alma mater for some of the most successful men of the West. He accompanied his father to Missouri and Iowa, and followed farming in his association. He determined to try the possibilities of Nebraska and came into this county in 1883, and bought a farm near Seward. He was engaged in its cultivation until elected to his present position in 1897. He took charge of his new office January 5, 1898, and gives it his most careful attention.

      Mr. Remington was married in 1879 to Miss Florence L. Morgan. She was born in Illinois, but was a resident of Missouri at the time of her wedding. To this happy union have been born four children, whose names are Guy A., Darlien, Fay and Wilemma B. They are all living and constitute a most interesting family. He is an active and zealous Mason, and is a member of two fraternal insurance orders, the United Workmen and the Maccabees. In politics he is identified with what is known as the Independent party, and was a delegate to the national convention of that organization



which was held in Cincinnati in 1890. He was on the congressional committee for a number of years. He was chairman of the county board for two years and was a member of the state legislature in 1885. He is one of the best known men of the state, and is everywhere respected for his manly qualities. 

Letter/label or barOSEPH S. GALAWAY, deceased, was identified with much of the earliest history of York county, and will be remembered by pioneers of this part of Nebraska as a man of good character and lofty sentiments. When a good man dies the entire community suffers a loss, although his influence may abide in good lives that have been kindled and inspired by him. So when Mr. Galaway was called home, many felt a personal sense of loss due to a knowledge of his unassuming goodness, public spirit and habits of industry and prudence.

      Mr. Galaway was one of the earliest settlers of York county, having made a preemption claim to one hundred and sixty acres of land in section 24, Hays township, as early as October, 1869. He constructed a dug-out on the banks of the creek that bears his name, into which he moved his family, consisting of his wife and five children. His personal property did not exceed a wagon and four horses, and his household furniture was of the simplest description and of home construction. Boxes served for table and cupboard, benches from native timber took the place of chairs, and beds were made from willow branches, and in this way he started to make a home for himself and family. The accomplishment of such an undertaking represented many years' hard work and a vast amount of discouraging experiences. The nearest market was over fifty miles distant, money was scarce and prices were high. Lumber used to make a door cost fifty dollars per thousand feet, and other building material was correspondingly high. It is not a matter of wonder then that the pioneers of York county at that time were compelled to live in sod houses and dug-outs.

      When Mr. Galaway had proved up on his land, he sold out, and moved to section 14 of the same township, where he took up eighty acres under the homestead law, and bought a quarter section in addition, thus making him a large and satisfactory farm. It was all wild prairie, and his entrance upon the new farm was practically a renewal of pioneering. For a few years the family residence was a dug-out, but made many substantial improvements, and put up a commodious residence, where his widow still resides. He died June 26, 1895, and his passing recorded the death of an honored pioneer, and a highly respected and popular citizen. During the first two weeks spent here they were visited by over five hundred Indians at one time.

      Joseph Galaway was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, December 26, 1833, and was a son of John and Lear (Smith) Galaway, who were also natives to the state. He was bred a farmer, and sent to the district school, and when seventeen years of age removed to Meigs county, Ohio, in company with his parents. There the earlier part of his manly years were spent, and there he married and engaged in farming. In the fall of 1856 he removed to LaSalle county, Illinois, and later to Marshall county of the same state. He made his appearance in York county in the fall of 1869, making the trip overland by wagon, and Mrs. Galaway says for more than a month she was not inside a house. This estimable lady married Mr. Galaway April 30, 1855. Her maiden name was Anna Maria Foley, and she is a daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Wilson) Foley, and with her parents claims Virginia as her native state. Thomas Foley brought his family to Athens county, Ohio,



in 1842, and at a later date removed from there to Meigs county, where he still lives at the venerable age of ninety years. His wife died in August, 1894, at the ripe old age of seventy-eight years. Mrs. Galaway is the mother of seven children: Thomas M., Elizabeth J. (deceased), James S., David Sylvester, William H. and Harriet C. and John J. She holds the respect of the community in a marked degree, and is very popular in all the circles of the old settlers as well as among the people of the new generation. The declining years that stretch away in front of her are thickset with the benedictions of those who know how kind and good and true a wife and mother, friend and neighbor she has been. 

Letter/label or barON. MILTON A. MILLS, ex-state senator, and a prominent attorney of Osceola, has for twenty years enjoyed a successful and lucrative practice at the bar of Polk county, and as the result of his untiring labors, his ambition, his energy and well directed efforts he is to-day the possessor of a handsome competence. He is a native of Ohio, born September 19, 1841, in Marion county, Ohio, where his parents, Versailles and Rebecca (Makeever) Mills, were married in 1839. The maternal grandfather, Patrick Makeever, came to this country from County Donegal, Ireland, and settled in Greene county, Pennsylvania. He was in religious belief a member of the Church of England. The father of our subject was a native of Vermont and a son of Dr. Mills, who belonged to an old and prominent New England family. In early life Versailles Mills engaged in teaching school, and subsequently became one of the first traveling salesmen in this country, and died while on one of his trips at Fort Wayne, Indiana, in 1844. Later his widow, with her two children located on a farm four miles west of Rensselaer, Indiana, where she made her home until 1893, when she went to live with her son in Missouri, dying there November 9, 1895. Our subject is the older of the two children, the other being James Versailles, a musician, who was a member of an Indiana regiment in the Civil war, and now resides at Ridgeway, Missouri.

      Milton A. Mills was reared on the farm near Rensselaer, Ind., and obtained his early education in the district schools of the neighborhood. He graduated from the Iowa State Law School with the class of 1870, and was admitted to the bar by the supreme court of Iowa in 1869, after which he engaged in practice in Leon, that state, until coming to Osceola, Nebraska, in 1878. He is now the oldest attorney in this place, is engaged in practice in all the courts and takes front rank among his professional brethren in the state. Financially as well as professionally he has met with success, and is now the owner of an excellent farm lying partly within the corporate limits of Osceola, besides four hundred arid eighty acres of land elsewhere.

      On the 10th of April, 1873, Mr. Mills was united in marriage with Miss Emma J. Dawson, a native of Defiance county, Ohio, born November 25, 1854, and a daughter of J. B. and Susan (Webster) Dawson, now residents of Osceola. Her mother belongs to the same family of which Daniel Webster was a member. Mr. Dawson is a native of England, and during our Civil war three times enlisted, but was never accepted on account of physical disability. There were only two children in the family: Mrs. Mills, and Helen, wife of Prof. Des Islets, who is professer (sic) of Greek in the college at Allegheny City, Pennsylvania. Mrs. Mills was educated in the High school of Leon, Iowa, and by her marriage has become the mother of seven children: Frank D., who is now a Lieut. in Co. H, 3d Reg. Neb. Vol. Inf.--(Colonel Bryan's regiment); Ralph, who was injured in a fire at Osceola and died from



the effects of the same September 5, 1895; Blanche, who is a student in the State University; Tom, who is in the office of his father; Milton A., Jr.: Webster; and Emma A. The wife and mother is an active and prominent member of the Methodist Church.

      For a quarter of a century Mr. Mills has affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, and has been a member of Royal Arch Chapter for twenty years. Politically he is a free-silver Democrat. He has been honored with a number of important official positions, being county attorney of Polk county, a member of the state senate in 1885, and president of the school board. He is a genial, courteous gentleman, a pleasant entertaining companion, and has many stanch and admiring friends among all classes of men. As an energetic, upright and conscientious lawyer, and a gentleman of attractive social qualities, he stands high in the estimation of the entire community. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM M. BUNTING, president of the Central Nebraska National Bank, of David City, Nebraska, stands in the front rank among men of enterprise, public spirit, and business ability, who have built the prosperity of Butler county upon a sure and permanent foundation.

      William M. Bunting was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, November 25, 1838. His father, Ebenezer Bunting, was a native of the same county, where he followed the occupation of a farmer until 1840, when he removed to Preble county, Ohio. He remained there but one year, when he went to Richmond, Wayne county, Indiana, where a portion of the time he was conducting a farm and a portion of the time engaged in the butcher business. In 1850 he went to Millersburg, Mercer county, Illinois, and conducted a hotel. In the spring of 1871 he located in Butler county, Nebraska, where he died in April, 1872, in the sixty-second year of his age. His father, Walter Bunting, was also a native of Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, and the Buntings trace their lineage back to the time of William Penn, through six generations, and the farm on which our subject was born was purchased direct of that noted Quaker philanthropist, and is still owned by a cousin of our subject, Walter Bunting. The family is of Scotch-Irish descent. The maiden name of our subject's mother was Susan Moore. She was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, and was a daughter of David Moore, a native of Pennsylvania, of German descent. She died in Butler county, Nebraska, in the fall of 1893, at the age of seventy-eight years. Ebenezer and Susan Bunting were the parents of seven children, all of whom are now living. Mary E., wife of David Stevens, of Mercer county, Illinois; William M., our present subject; Harriet, wife of James Gilmore, of David City, Nebraska; James, of David City, Nebraska; John, of St. Clair county, Missouri; Leah, wife of Eli Shotwell, of David City, Nebraska; and Orrick, of Butler county, Nebraska.

      William M. Bunting was but two years old when he went with the family to Preble county, Ohio, and but a year older when they went to Richmond, Indiana. There he remained until 1850, when he went to Mercer county, Illinois. He attended an old fashioned subscription school at Richmond, Indiana, and later the public schools of Mercer county, Illinois. In 1862 he enlisted in Company G, one hundred and second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, as a private, he was promoted to the rank of corporal and was discharged as such at the close of the war, June 6, 1865, at Washington, D. C. He was with Sherman's army on its famous "March to the Sea" and was wounded in the battle of Resaca, Georgia on the 14th of May, 1864, in the left shoulder. He remained in the hospital four months, and



then returned to his regiment before Atlanta, and witnessed the surrender of that city. He was in the battles of Averysburg and Bentonville, North Carolina and a number of minor engagements. After an army experience of about three years he was honorably discharged, and returned to Mercer county, Illinois, and engaged in farming.

      In 1870 Mr. Bunting went to Butler county, Nebraska, and filed a homestead claim to section 32, Franklin township, one and a half miles southeast of David City. He was the first settler on the "Table Land," in that township, and erected the first landmarks of civilization there. He constructed a sod house 12 x 14 feet, in which he lived one year. He built a frame residence 20 x 24 feet, which he "sodded" outside and lathed and plastered inside, making it a most comfortable and cosy abode, it being one of the first houses to be thus constructed in the west. In the fall of 1871 he returned to Mercer county, and on November 26th of that year, was married to Anna Maury, a native of Mercer county, Illinois, and a daughter of Dr. James and Elizabeth (Long) Maury. They spent the winter in Mercer county, returning to Nebraska in the spring, and in April 1872, they located on their homestead near David City. At the fall election in 1873 Mr. Bunting was elected treasurer of Butler county, and shortly after moved to David City. Two years later he was re-elected to the same office, and at the expiration of his fourth year of service as county treasurer he opened a real estate office in David City, and was appointed land agent by the Union Pacific Railroad Company having received this appointment the year previous. He remained in this capacity until their lands had all been sold, or until about the year 1888. He also was collector for the same company. He conducted his business in partnership with E. S. Runyon from about 1878 until 1892. In 1887, upon the organization of the Central Nebraska National Bank, Mr. Bunting was. elected president of that institution, and has discharged the duties of that position since. The capital stock was $100,000 at the organization of the bank, but three years later it was decided to reduce it to $50,000. The other officers are Geo. R. Colton, cashier, and I. E. Doty, vice-president.

      Mr. Bunting is one of the largest landowners in Nebraska, his holdings aggregating over 3,000 acres. Not least important of these tracts is the old homestead, which he still owns, and which has never been under mortgage. Many of the best business blocks and substantial residences of David City owe their existence to the enterprise of Mr. Bunting, and he is the largest contributor to the revenues of Butler county. He was at one time engaged extensively in cattle dealing, and he is now interested in the breeding of Shetland ponies, his herd now consisting of twenty-four head.

      Mr. and Mrs. Bunting are the parents of four children, two of whom are now living: Wanetta M., educated at the State Normal School; and Archie M. The first daughter was Hattie, who died at the age of eighteen months. Lester was the third child, and died at the age of four years.

     Mr. Bunting is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and holds membership in Fidelity lodge No. 31, of David City. In political views he is a Democrat, and aside from his early service as country treasurer he has not sought political honors. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM M. REDFORD, the present mayor of Seward, Nebraska, has helped to make the city and county in a very marked degree, and is a man of broad views and positive character. He possesses good business habits, and is known far and wide as a reliable and trustworthy trades-

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller