NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



Army Post of Stromsburg, is an ardent Republican in politics, and has served as clerk of elections. Through his own resources and by his own energy and ability, Mr. Honess has prospered financially, and has not only succeeded in acquiring a comfortable home and competence, but has also gained the high regard of those whom he has come in contact either in business or social life. 

Letter/label or barLBERT A. PETERSON is the owner of a valuable farm of three hundred and twenty acres, pleasantly located in Arborville township, York county, and has made his home thereon for eighteen years. He is therefore accounted one of the pioneer settlers of the locality, having come to the state when York county was largely an unbroken wilderness, the prairies uncultivated and no improvements made. He has been especially active in developing the raw land and has ever borne his part in the work of progress and advancement.

      Mr. Peterson is a native of Walworth county, Wisconsin, born on. the 5th of October, 1856, and is a son of Oliver H. and Mary (Holderson) Peterson, both of whom were natives of Norway, whence they came to the United States, in 1846 and 1848, respectively. The father located in Wisconsin and still resides there, devoting his time and energies to agricultural pursuits. In his family are three sons and one daughter.

      In the public schools of his native state Albert Peterson acquired his education, and at an early age became familiar with all the duties and labors that fall to the lot of the farmer. He worked in the fields from the time of planting until harvesting was completed, and with the exception of his experience as a miner in the Black Hills, in 1882-3, he has always followed agricultural pursuits. He first came to York county in 1878 and purchased three hundred and twenty acres of land in Arborville township from the railroad company. Two years later he located thereon and has since made it his home, although he made several trips to Wisconsin after that. His first residence was a sod house in which he lived for a number of years. He has undergone the usual experiences of the pioneer farmer in developing wild land, but as the result of his industry is now the owner of a valuable property, his well tilled fields yielding to him a golden tribute in return for the care and labor he bestows upon them.

     In 1891 was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Peterson and Miss Mary Stout, a daughter of J. M. Stout, a prominent resident of the county. They have four children: Volma A., Alvin S. and Orma and Orville, twins. The parents hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church, and Mr. Peterson exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the Republican party, but has no desire for public office, preferring to devote his energies to his business interests in which he is meeting with excellent success. His reputation in business circles is unassailable and his many social qualities endear him to a large circle of friends and acquaintances. 

Letter/label or barLIJAH ARCHER, a prominent farmer in section 10, Chelsea township, was born August 20, 1835, in Delaware county, Ohio. He was a son of Ellison L. and Elizabeth (Street) Archer. His father was a native of Vermont, and came to Ohio when he was quite young. He lived there until 1836, and then moved to Coles county, Illinois, and purchased a farm near Grand View. Our subject received what meager education the common schools of the district afforded, and with this and his own natural genius, together with the practical knowledge that he acquired in after life, he



has made a successful fight with the battle of life. He remained at home until he was twenty-four years of age, helping his father on the farm, but finally the natural desire of youth to get away from home came over him, and in the autumn of 1859 he purchased a yoke of oxen and started for Missouri, where he secured work hauling iron ore and charcoal from the Iron Mountains to the smelting works at Valley Forge. He followed this work until 1862, when that part of the state became so thoroughly overrun with Confederates and guerrillas that a Union sympathizer was constantly in danger of his life, and he was compelled to abandon his work and go to Pilot Knob. Here he made a contract with the quartermaster of the Union army to haul supplies to the army, and made two trips, hauling sutler goods to the army in Arkansas, but as the work was so full of danger and hardship, he gave up the contract and came back to Pilot Knob, where he went out into the woods and turned his oxen loose, and came back and enlisted in Company C, Twenty-ninth Missouri Volunteers, which was being recruited in and around Pilot Knob. His regiment was immediately ordered to Benton barracks, and after spending a short time in drilling and preparing for active army life they were sent down the Mississippi river to Cape Girardeau. They were kept there for about a month doing guard duty, and having an occasional skirmish with the Confederates, and were then sent to Helena and from there to the vicinity of Vicksburg and placed under the command of General Sherman. The regiment formed a part of the detachment that was sent up the Yazoo river and attempted to take the fort on that side of the city. The Twenty-ninth Missouri went into this battle with eight hundred and sixty-seven men, and in the charge which was made lost all but two hundred and fourteen men, three-fourths of their number being left on the field of battle, killed and wounded. In this charge Mr. Archer had several narrow escapes from death as one bullet passed entirely through his canteen which he was carrying in his haversack, and another struck his gun, and remained firmly imbedded in the stock. The army was then moved and a few days later took Arkansas Post. From there his company made several moves, being sent to Young's Point, Deer's Creek and Milligan Bend, where they crossed the river and participated in quite a sharp battle at Jackson. From there they were sent to Vicksburg, crossing the Black river on a pontoon bridge. Vicksburg was at that time being besieged by the Union army and they remained there until that city surrendered in July, 1863. While at Vicksburg his health began to succumb before the hardships and privations of army life, and he was sent to the general hospital at that place, and later sent to the hospital at Jefferson Barracks, and was there transferred to the Second Battalion, Veteran Reserve, and did guard duty at St. Louis for about seven months, and were then sent to the Benton Barracks and remained there until June 29, 1865, when he received his discharge. He immediately went to his father's home in Illinois, and shortly afterward commenced farming in Douglas county, where he was married on August 17, 1869, to Miss Martha Mourer, a daughter of Isaac and Sarah (Scheilds) Mourer. After farming for two years in Douglas county, he determined to try his fortune in the west, and gethering (sic) together all of their goods they loaded them on a canvas-covered wagon and started for Nebraska. After a long and wearisome journey, accompanied by its usual dangers and hardships, he finally arrived in Fillmore county, and took a homestead in the southeast quarter of section 10, Chelsea township. After building a sod house and stable, he commenced the



task of converting the unbroken prairie into a cultivated farm, and by thrift and industry they have got it into a high state of cultivation, and is well improved, the sod house and stable giving way to large and commodious buildings. He has also an orchard that furnishes an abundance of fruit.

      To Mr. Archer's marriage have been born six children, five of whom are living; Laura A., who married Jasper Bortner; Rosetta, now married to Isaac Lightbody; John L., Annis and Frank, the last three living at home. He is a prominent member of the Wilson Post 22, G. A. R. Polictically (sic) he is an ardent Republican, and is an active worker in its ranks, and is greatly interested in the welfare of his county and state. 

Letter/label or barENRY A. SEAVER. --There is peculiar interest attached to the history of the pioneers of any portion of this great state, and particularly with that part of it with which we are closely connected. In this connection a brief sketch of Mr. Seaver will be of special interest, for he came to Polk county in March, 1870, locating on the north one-half of the southeast quarter of section 30, when there were only about a half dozen other settlers in that region. At that time wolves, antelopes and deer were plentiful, and most of the land was still in its primitive condition. He has borne his part in the work of development and progress which has transformed this section into one of the most highly cultivated and thriving counties in the state. For over twenty-eight years he has now made his home on section 29, township 14, range 1, where he owns three hundred and sixty acres, all improved, it being one of the best farms in the locality.

      His father, Welcome Seaver, was a native of Rhode Island, and the son of a Revolutionary soldier, who valiantly aided the colonies in their struggle for independence and spent his entire life in Rhode Island. The family is of English origin, and was founded in that state over one hundred and fifty years ago. Welcome Seaver married Miss Meloria A. Warren, a native of Windham county, Connecticut, and a daughter of Artemus Warren, who was one of the defenders of his country in the war of 1812 and died in the Nutmeg state. The marriage of this worthy couple was probably celebrated in Connecticut, but they made their home in Rhode Island, where Mrs. Seaver died about 1842, and her husband in January, 1859. By occupation he was a farmer and painter. Three of their four children reached manhood and womanhood, namely: Mrs. Sarah A. Chase, who died leaving one child, Delano E.; Henry A., of this review, and Albert E.

      In Greenville, Rhode Island, Henry A. Seaver was born March 1, 1837, and having lost his mother at the age of seven years, he went to live with his maternal grandfather in Windham county, Connecticut, remaining there until he attained his majority. He received a good practical education in the common schools of that county, and early became familiar with all the duties which fall to the lot of the agriculturist. At the age of eighteen years he started out in life for himself, and came to Nebraska in March, 1870, as previously stated. In 1867 his brother Albert had emigrated to this state, and after spending one year with James M. Palmer at Ulysses, he came to Polk county, in 1868, locating on the south half of the southeast quarter of section 30, township 14, range 1, Here our subject joined his brother, and together they kept batchelor's hall, first in a shanty and later in a frame house. The second year he raised a fair crop, and has since engaged in both farming and stock raising, making a specialty of Poland China hogs.

      On the 4th of December, 1888, Mr.



Seaver led to the marriage altar Mrs. Sallie F. Dennison, née Blair, who was born in Des Moines county, Iowa, March 31, 1854. Her parents, John Milton and Eliza R. (Mcclure) Blair, were natives of Pennsylvania, the former born March 31, 1823, the latter November I, 1829, and their marriage was celebrated in Iowa, October 1, 1851. The paternal grandfather, David Evans Blair, was from Maryland, and was a soldier of the Revolutionary war, while the maternal grandfather, William McClure, was from Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. John M. Blair continued to reside in Iowa until called from this life, and were the parents of eight children, of whom six reached years of maturity: Mrs. Fannie Newkirk; Mrs. Seaver; Bird L.; Mrs. Susie K. Robertson; William and David F. Mrs. Seaver was reared and educated in Des Moines, and first married Winfield Scott Dennison, who died leaving one child--Birdie L., born January 26, 1882. By her second union she has no children. Mr. Seaver is independent in politics. 

Letter/label or barENRY STUHR is a prosperous farmer in Beaver township, York county, and belongs to the younger generation of German-American agriculturists, who have exhibited on the soil of the new world many of the best traits of industry and society in the land across the seas where they tell us truth, integrity and honor reign. He remained in the old country until he was a strong and sturdy young man, and then came into this country with but little capital beyond a clear eye, a ready brain, and a strong arm, and now he is sole owner of a large estate which requires the labor of many men, and produces large results. It is a startling change from the penury and restriction of pioneer days, and shows over again what the career of thousands like him have made evident, that America has for a hundred years been the hope and relief of ambitious manhood the world over. It has opened the door of opportunity, and men like Henry Stuhr have dared to enter in and possess the richest treasures ever offered the poor and unfortunate of other lands. And now the closing years of the century tell the wonder of it.

      Mr. Stuhr was born in Oldenburg, Germany, July 7, 1850, and grew to manhood on German soil. He had such education as the private schools of his country afforded, and when he became a man applied himself to farming. But there was little hope of getting on and rising above the restrictions of his early life, and being a young man of spirit and resolution, he determined to seek the new world for that success in business which he knew beforehand was denied him on his native heath. He landed in Baltimore, Maryland, in 1873, and came immediately to York county, Nebraska, where he secured by homestead entry part of the large and desirable farm on which he now lives. The original application was made June I, 1873, and its retention through twenty-five years, many of them full of discouragements, shows the stuff the man is made of and the value of the land to which he has clung with such tenacity. The year of his arrival in the United States was signalized by his marriage to Miss Augusta Stoehr, a compatriot Oldenburger. They meant to succeed, and established themselves in a sod-house, which was their home for something like a dozen years. It was then replaced by their present comfortable and convenient residence, which is considered one of the most attractive and well appointed farm houses in the county.

      Mr. Stuhr broke the wild prairie in 1873 and the next year harvested a very profitable crop of wheat. He planted a large area of corn, but the grasshoppers attended to the harvesting of it. It was a tough time,



but he pulled through it, and in the large success that has attended his twenty-five years in the state can afford to smile over the hardships of the early days. His modest holding at the beginning has increased to seven hundred and twenty acres, all highly cultivated and very highly improved. He rents some land, but farms over four hundred acres himself. It is a magnificent farm which he has won by hard work and adventurous daring, and it puts him among the leading men of the county devoted to the soil. He is quite interested in blooded stock and has some very choice specimens of Durham cattle and Poland-China hogs. He believes in good blood and is farming for profit, and not simply for amusement.

      Mr. and Mrs. Stuhr are the parents of nine children, seven of whom are now living: Henry, John, Elbert, Lizzie, Charlie, Martha and Annie. They constitute a bright and charming family, and give promise of future usefulness. The parents are members of the Lutheran church, and the father is on the parochial school board. He is a trustee of the church, and was its cashier for three years. He takes a deep interest in the schooling of his children, and sends them to both English and German schools, desiring that they should have the best possible fitting for the trials and responsibilities of the future. He acts with the Republican party in all matters of political importance. He is a man of general good repute, and claims many friends in every class of the community. The silver wedding of this in many respects model couple was celebrated May 9, 1898, and was attended by the whole German settlement, including at least sixty families. 

Letter/label or barON. WILLIAM E. RITCHIE, who owns and operates a fine farm on section 14, precinct D, Seward county, is a gentleman of high character and a wide knowledge of men and the world. His place among the leaders of thought and action in this part of Nebraska is unquestioned, and in the responsible positions to which he has been called he has served his constituents with fidelity and success.

      Mr. Ritchie is a native of Waukegan, Lake county, Illinois, where he first inhaled the vital air October 21, 1847. He is the oldest of a family of five children born to A. D. and Harriet (Hoyt) Ritchie. His father was a native of Scotland, who came to Waukegan in 1846, and opened a blacksmith shop. He was a farmer in later life, and came to this state in 1873 and bought section 11, of this township, and improved it so that it became a very desirable farm. Later still he moved to Seward, and died there April 25, 1892. His wife still survives, and is much beloved and venerated by her children and grandchildren. She had three sons, William, Alonzo D. and Richard, and two twin daughters, Jennie and Alice. It was in Lake county that Wiiliam (sic) passed his boyhood and youth, and received a very good education in the Waukegan public schools. At the age of twenty-three he left home and undertook the work of carving a fortune for himself out of the varied interests of life. He came to this state in 1870, and filed a homestead claim on the quarter-section where he now lives, and for nearly thirty years he has lived and labored in a neighborhood that has come to know and honor him for his sterling manhood and genuine character. He was the first settler in this region for a wide distance. Ulysses had a postoffice and one store, and there were only a few buildings in Seward. He lived in a sod house, and applied himself heart and soul to the making of a home. He was married in 1871 to Miss Hattie Radford, a native of England and a woman of many excellent traits. They are the parents of seven children: John C., who died in infancy, George, Charles, Mabel, Elizabeth,



Alice and Ruth. Mr. Ritchie had a not very exciting but valuable experience in the Civil war. He enlisted in September, 1864, in Company D, One Hundred and Forty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. His company was on guard duty along the river, and was stationed the greater part of the time at Quincy, though he was on detached duty at Mt. Sterling. He was mustered out in August, 1865.

      As a Nebraska farmer the subject of this article has been remarkably successful. He owns today one thousand and forty acres of land, all highly improved and devoted to general farming and stock interests. He feeds every particle of grain and hay the land produces, and takes a justifiable pride in his herds of fat cattle. He has a number of short horns that are registered, and twelve head of high grade that have not yet been entered on the stock books, He is now farming three hundred and fifty acres, and rents the remainder of his farm. He has three sets of farm buildings and contemplates farther improvements at an early day. His own family residence has shown the effect of his improving fortunes. His family lived in a sod house for five years, and nine years in a small frame dwelling, and in 1884 moved into the very substantial structure where he is found to-day.

      Mr. Ritchie approaches the questions of the day from the standpoint of Democracy, and has been a faithful member of the party for many years. He has attended several state conventions as a delegate, and is widely known as a leading spirit in the party councils. He was a member of the lower house in the state legislature of 1891, and is now a member of the state senate, representing Butler and Seward counties. He was chairman of the committee on internal improvements, and on the committee on miscellaneous subjects. At the present time he is a member of the committee of agriculture, which reported the stock yards bill regulating charges. It passed both houses, and became a law, affecting favorably every stockman west of the Missouri. He has done well both for himself and for the public, and is one of the most popular men of the county at the present time. 

Letter/label or barENRY S. GERARD.--The farming interests of Alexis township, Butler county, have a worthy exponent in the person of the gentleman above named, who operates a farm in section 23. The entire tract is improved and tillable, and altogether makes up an estate whereon a remunerative business may well be done by a man who devotes himself closely and intelligently to his work. In the way of buildings every arrangement has been made for the economical conduct of the farm, and for the comfort of the family a nice residence has been constructed.

      Mr. Gerard was born near Maysville, Allen county, Indiana, May 12, 1858, a son of Abner and Hannah (Keys) Gerard. Abner Gerard was also a homesteader on section 22, Alexis township. Our subject moved to Butler county, Nebraska, with his parents in the spring of 1869, from Michigan and arriving March 26. Two years previous to this they had moved to Quincy, Michigan, from Allen county, Indiana.

      Henry S. Gerard, the subject of this sketch, is the oldest of the family of which he is a member, and he has one sister, Mrs. Weitzel, of Bellwood, Butler county, Nebraska. Our subject was married in Butler county, Nebraska, in 1882, to Miss Nettie Curtis, daughter of Henry Curtis, also a pioneer of Butler county, the date of his settlement being 1869. To this union have been born a family of three children, whose names in the order of their birth are, Daisy, Harvey and Charles. He is a pleasant and courteous gentleman and makes friends wherever he goes. He is a man of highest



character, and is esteemed as a warm friend and loyal citizen by all who know him. In politics he uses his influence and elective franchises in the support of the candidates of the Republican party. 

Letter/label or barHARLES W. PIPER, deceased, had been a resident of York county, Nebraska, fifteen years at the time of his death, and in that time had become one of the most popular and highly respected characters of the county. When children die we are consoled at the thought of their escape from the inevitable trials that are before all of us, and when the aged die it seems like the garnering of the ripened grain; but when a man like the subject of this sketch is suddenly cut down in the prime of his powers and at the maturity of his manly vigor, we can only say "What a loss!"

      Charles W. Piper was born in Grundy county, Illinois, September 12, 1857. His parents were John and Susan (Sleezer) Piper. The father was born in England, and the mother in New York. He was a farmer, and brought his family into Illinois in 1856. In 1882 he removed to York county, where he is now living. His son, Charles, was educated in the public schools of Livingston county, where the family had located during his youth, and began farming for himself at a very early age on rented ground. He came into this county in company with his parents, and bought one-quarter of section 12 in Morton township. He devoted himself to the improvement of this estate, and at the time of his death, which occurred August 18, 1897, it had become one of the choicest farms in the county. He was a bright and enterprising man, and studied his farm as a man would a profession. He raised all the grains and had some choice stock on the place, and was planning the up-grading of his cattle when he was killed by the explosion of an engine operated in connection with a threshing machine which he had managed for three seasons.

      Mr. Piper was married October 17, 1880, to Miss Lizzie Morehead, residing at that time in Gridley, McLean county, Illinois. She was born in Ohio, and is a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Galbreath) Morehead, both natives of Ohio. Her mother died in Ohio, but her father lived to spend some years in this county. She is the mother of four children, all of whom are living. Their names are Henry G., DeForest C., Nellie P. and Nora B. The family are members of the Baptist church, and are greatly esteemed by their associates in that religious order. Mr. Piper was a Republican, and took an active part in the general working of its various agencies. He took much interest in school matters, and insisted upon a good school in his home district. It should be said that he was a hardworking: an honorable and a successful man. He made a good home for his family, was a generous provider, and cared for his own. But his charity did not stop at his doorsteps. He felt himself a part of the community, and was ready for every good word and work. Long may his good name be remembered by those who loved and respected him. 

Letter/label or barRS. MARY E. BECHTEL, whose home is on section 34, Chelsea township, Fillmore county, Nebraska, is a most estimable lady and a worthy representative of one of the honored pioneer families of this region. She was born in Ogle county, Illinois, December 29, 1846, a daughter of Daniel and Mercy L. (Chester) Taylor, who were born, reared and educated in New York state and throughout life were farming people. Of the five children born to them only two are now living, namely: Mary E. and James F. One son, Ulysses D. Taylor, enlisted at Columbus, Ohio, in the spring of



1861, for service in the Civil war, becoming a member of Company K, Eighteenth United States Regulars, and he participated in the battles of Bull Run and Chickamauga and all other engagements in which his regiment took part. He was taken prisoner in the fall of 1863, and first confined in Andersonville prison and later in Libby, at Richmond, Virginia. Here his family lost trace of him and it is supposed that he died in prison.

      In 1870 Mrs. Taylor and her two children removed from Illinois to Nebraska and all located on section 34, Chelsea township, Fillmore county, the mother taking the southeast quarter, James F. the southwest quarter, while Mrs. Bechtel selected the northeast quarter and an uncle took the remaining quarter section. As Mary E. Taylor could not operate her land alone she hired Cyrus Bechtel to assist her, and on the 1st of January, 1879, they were united in marriage. He was born in March, 1848, and lived in Iowa until coming to this state in 1870. To them were born four children but only one is now living, Mary Carrie, who is now attending the district schools. Mr. Betchel died in March, 1886, since which time our subject's brother has lived with her. James F. Taylor lived alone upon his farm until he obtained a title from President Hayes, and then made his home with his mother until she was called from earth on the 25th of April, 1894, at the age of eighty-four years.

      When the family located upon their land their nearest neighbors were seven miles away, the country was all wild and unimproved and on the prairies roamed the yelping coyote, the antelope, deer and elk, but the buffalo or bison had all disappeared two years before. Tribes of Otoes and Sioux Indians often passed through the county and stopped at their little home, but it was not long before they sought other camping grounds, the wild animals soon disappeared before the rifle of the settlers, and the wild flowers and prairie grass were soon replaced by fields of waving grain as the country became more thickly populated. The Taylor family erected for themselves sod houses and barns, and in true frontier style began life in the west, laboring early and late to make for themselves homes, but all enjoyed good health, and it was not long before their lands were under excellent cultivation and and well improved. They still own their original farms. Mrs. Bechtel and her brother were reared in the Presbyterian church and she still adheres to that faith. In politics he was a Republican. 

Letter/label or bar. F. POINTER, a well-known farmer residing on the southeast quarter of section 8, township 14, range I west, Canada precinct, Polk county, was one of the brave boys in blue during the war of the Rebellion, rendering valuable service to his country upon the frontier. He is a native of Ohio, born in Highland county, August 26, 1843, and is a son of B. F. and Susan (Euvard) Pointer, the former a native of Virginia, the latter of France. They were early settlers of Ohio, where they spent their last days. The children born to them were B. F., Peter, now deceased, and William, who was also a Union soldier. By a former marriage the father had two children who are now living: Noah and Mrs. Jane Barr. The paternal grandfather of our subject was one of the defenders of his country in the war of 1812 and was killed in battle.

      Until eighteen years of age B. F. Pointer remained on the home farm in Highland county, Ohio, and there secured a common-school education. He then enlisted October 12, 1861, in Company B, Eleventh Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, as a private, and with his regiment was sent to St. Louis, then to Fort Leavenworth, Kan-



sas, from there to Fort Kearney, and on to Salt Lake City, guarding the overland mail against the Indians. Our subject was one of twenty-five men detailed to guard South Pass, where they built a picket fort and remained all winter. As the horses' feed had become very low part of the men were sent with some of the horses to the hills so the animals could graze, leaving only thirteen to guard the fort. On the 25th of November, it being very cold no picket guard was out, and in the night they were attacked by the Sioux and Cheyenne Indians, who besieged the fort for three days. The soldiers were then re-inforced and drove the red men away. They remained at that place until spring. Here Mr. Pointer took the scurvy and was sent to the hospital at Platte Bridge. On rejoining his company he went to Deer creek and Fort Laramie, and was on several expeditions against the Indians. On one of these while guarding an emigrant train to Rawhide creek, they discovered an Indian camp, took three ponies, buffalo robes and the camp outfit. In the winter of 1863-4 they built Fort Collins, Colorado. The following March Mr. Pointer re-enlisted as a veteran, and was granted a thirty days' furlough, which he spent at home. With his company he returned to Omaha where they had left their horses, and at once started for Fort Laramie. After scooting for some time in the Yellowstone district they returned to Laramie. In the fall of 1864 our subject was attached to Company H, which was stationed at Chimney Rock, and was promoted to the rank of sergeant. At the close of the war he left his horses at Omaha, and returned to Columbus, Ohio, where he was finally mustered out July 14, 1866. While at South Pass the Indians once attacked his company and killed two herders who were guarding the mules while pasturing, taking the animals away. On learning of this the soldiers started in pursuit, and after following the trail for three days caught sight of the red men near the head of the Missouri river. The Indians at length were forced to abandon the herd, which the soldiers brought back to camp. While on the frontier they lived principally on buffalo meat cooked on sage brush.

      After remaining at home for two months and a half, Mr. Pointer went to Iowa in October, 1866, and there spent one winter, but on the 14th of March, 1867, he went to Fort Kearney, where he secured a position with the government train bound for Fort Russell. He made several other trips the same summer between Laramie and Russell, and in November returned to Fort Kearney, Montana, where he engaged in freighting during the winter. He then went to Fort Russell, and in the summer took a hay claim and also engaged in gardening south of Cheyenne. There he and J. Dunn opened a ranch, which they finally sold, in March, 1869, and on the 28th of that month our subject returned to Iowa.

      On the 22nd of April, 1869, Mr. Pointer was united in marriage with Miss Abigail Farris, who was born in Highland county, Ohio, March 14, 1850, a daughter of Uriah and Sarah (Roush) Farris, also natives of Ohio. Her paternal grandfather, James Farris, was one of the first settlers of Highland county, that state, and the maternal grandfather, John Roush, was also a pioneer of Ohio. The father died in February, 1876, but the mother is still living and now finds a pleasant home with our subject. Her children are Mrs. Mary Ellen Phifer; Mrs. Pointer; Mrs. Becky Barr; James; Mrs. Elmira McDaniels, deceased; and John. Mr. and Mrs. Pointer have three children: Uriah F., Mrs. Sarah R. Zedicher, who has three children, Benjamin C., Susan Mabel and Pearl; and Mrs. Susan Dexter, who has one child, Charles.

      After his marriage, Mr. Pointer lived for five years in Marion county, Iowa, but since



1873 has made his home upon his present farm in Polk county, Nebraska, having secured his homestead April 18, 1872, when it was all raw land. He now has two hundred and thirty-one acres under excellent cultivation, and improved with good and substantial buildings which stand as monuments to his thrift and enterprise. Formerly he was a Republican in politics, but now supports the men and measures of the People's party, and takes an active interest in its success. He has been a member of the school board, and was a director in school district No. 21, for nine years. He is one of the leading and prominent members of the R. O. D. Cummings Post, No. 102, G. A. R., of Shelby, and is the present commander of the same. He has always been found true and faithful to every trust reposed in him, and for bravery received a bronze medal issued to him by the state of Ohio. 

Letter/label or barDWARD C. McDONALD, one of Butler county's prominent and substantial citizens and pioneer farmers, has a cozy home and profitable farm in section 22, Alexis township. He settled here in 1869 when he filed a homestead claim to eighty acres in section 22.

      Mr. McDonald was born in Oswego county, New York, July 19, 1836. His father, Jacob McDonald, was born in New York, in 1776, and died in 1860, at the age of eighty-four years. He was a butcher by occupation, and our subject was reared in the city until twenty-one years of age. He then went to Michigan and located in Van Buren county, in 1857. He lived in Michigan until the breaking out of the Civil war, and in June, 1861, he enlisted in Company B, Eleventh Michigan Infantry. He was discharged October 4, 1862, and re-enlisted, during the following December, in Company B, Eighth Michigan Cavalry, and served until November 11, 1864, and was mustered out after the Atlanta campaign.

      After the close of hostilities Mr. McDonald returned to his home in Branch county, Michigan, and was there married December 2, 1864, to Miss Mary Welch, daughter of H. S. Welch, of Branch county, Michigan, and this union has been blessed by the advent of a family of three children, Clara, Albert, and John. The oldest was born in Michigan, but Albert and John were both born in Butler county, Nebraska.

      In the winter of 1868-69, Smith Needham, who had been in Nebraska for a few years, returned to Michigan and gave such a favorable account of the country that he induced many of Branch county's citizens to migrate to that state, and our subject was one of the first to settle in Butler county. He reached Columbus early in March, 1869, and, in company with Abner Gerard, forded the Platte river, and came afoot to section 22, Alexis township, and each located a homestead. Mr. McDonald had just seventy-five dollars in cash when he reached Columbus with his wife and one child, Clara, who was then three years of age. He now owns and occupies a pleasant and remunerative tract of land on which he is pursuing the even tenor of his way, gaining a good support and is incidentally laying aside something for a rainy day. He has been a voter of this county ever since its organization and has invariably used his elective franchise in the support of the candidates of the Democratic party. He has also held many of the offices of trust and responsibility in the township and school district.

     Our subject's grandfather, John McDonald, was a native of Glasgow, Scotland, and came to America about the year 1760, and settled in Schoharie county, New York, and later served in the Revolutionary war. His son, Jacob McDonald, was a soldier in the war of 1812, serving in the United

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller