NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



county, having made his home on section 18, Geneva township, since the spring of 1872, and is also an honored veteran of the Civil war.

      A native of Kosciusko county, Indiana, Mr. McCashland was born May 1, 1845, and is a son of Benjamin and Harriet (Foster) McCashland, who were born in Virginia and were among the early settlers of Kosciusko county. They spent their last days, however, in Nebraska, where the father died in January, 1889, the mother in November, 1893. At the age of seven years our subject was taken by his parents to Livingston county, Illinois, where he grew to manhood upon a farm.

      Although not quite eighteen years of age Mr. McCashland enlisted in February, 1863, in Company I, Fifty-third Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the engagements at Atlanta and Jonesboro, was with Sherman on the celebrated march to the sea and in the battles of Fayetteville, Bentonville and Raleigh, and present was at the surrender of General Johnston. When the war was over and his services no longer needed he returned to his home in Livingston county, Illinois, where he was married in 1868 to Miss Cynthia L. Myers, a native of Shelby county, Indiana. Her parents, John H. and Sarah (McConnell) Myers, were natives of Virginia and Ohio, respectively, and were pioneers of La Salle county, Illinois, whence they removed to Livingston county, where the father died in 1882, the mother in 1892. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. McCashland are as follows: Frank W., Charles I., Nora B., Clyde, Walter H., Ethel I., James R. and Ivan L.

      After his marriage Mr. McCashland continued to live on rented land in Illinois until coming to Fillmore county, Nebraska, in the fall of 187!, when he filled a soldier's homestead claim to one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 18, Geneva township, where he now resides. He then returned to Livingston county, Illinois, but the following February brought his family to this state, driving the entire distance. For six weeks the family lived in their covered wagon, but as soon as the frost was out of the ground a sod house, 12 x 16 feet was erected. This served as their place of abode for about three years, when it was replaced by a larger and more pretentious sod house, in which they lived until 1882, when a good frame residence was built. On arrival here Mr. McCashland had no capital, but owned a team and possessed an abundance of energy. He experienced many hardships and difficulties, but steadily overcame these, and to-day is the owner of a valuable farm under a high state of cultivation and well improved--the result of his own industry, enterprise and successful management. Socially he is a member of James Shields Post, No. 32, G. A. R., at Grafton, and in political sentiment favors the free coinage of silver. 

Letter/label or barEV. C. S. HARRISON, of Boston, Massachusetts, now located in York, Nebraska, as agent for the Oklahoma College, is the founder of the Congregational church of York, Nebraska, of which he was the beloved pastor for ten years. He was born in Otsego county, New York, in November, 1832, and when a lad of ten years accompanied his parents, Stephen and Sarah (Sears) Harrison, on their removal to Illinois. His father subsequently came to York, Nebraska, where he died in 1887.

      During his youth C. S. Harrison attended the public schools and academy of Chicago, for a time, and was later a student in Beloit College, of Beloit, Wisconsin, after which he engaged in teaching school for some years. In 1859 he was ordained a minister of the Congregational church, and was first assigned to work in Minnesota. Returning to Illinois, he filled the pulpit at Huntley for some years, and afterward had charge of



congregations in Iowa and Illinois until coming to York, in 1871. Here he organized the Congregational church, but spent another year in Illinois before he took charge regularly here. During the ten years of his pastorate here, he not only built up the church, but also took an active interest in the welfare of the city, and it was through his untiring efforts that York is now one of the pleasantest and best shaded cities in Nebraska. He was also the founder of the York Academy, which existed here for some time, and gave his support to all measures calculated to advance the moral, educational or material welfare of the community. On leaving York, he removed to Pueblo, Colorado, and was later was pastor of the church at Franklin, Nebraska, where he also took an active interest in the academy. He was a great temperance worker, being one of the principal workers in the interests of that cause in the state. Two of Mr. Harrison's sons are still residents of York, and are conducting one of the best known nurseries in the west. 

Letter/label or barUCIUS A. WARREN, president of the Bank of Surprise, has demonstrated the true meaning of the word success as the full accomplishment of an honorable purpose. Energy, close application, perseverance and good management--these are the elements which have entered into his business career and crowned his efforts with prosperity.

      Mr. Warren was born April 15, 1850, in Windham county, Connecticut, a son of Edmund L. and Lucretia (Parkhurst) Warren, well-known farming people of that state. His grandfather, Artemus Warren, was a son of Cleveland Warren, and was captain of a company in the war of 1812. The family was one of prominence in the community where they resided, and among the earlier settlers of eastern Connecticut.

      During his boyhood and youth, Lucius A. Warren received a liberal education which well fitted him for the teacher's profession, which he successfully followed for some years. On coming to Butler county, Nebraska, in the fall of 1871, he located on section 13, Read township, and for some time taught school during the winter months, while the summer season was devoted to farming. In the spring of 1879 he became interested in the hardware business in Rising City as a partner of C. E. Wilcox, whose interest he purchased in 1882, becoming sole proprietor. He continued to successfully engage in business along this line until December, 1887, when he sold out his hardware business and with A. Roberts he founded the Bank of Surprise, Mr. Roberts becoming president and Mr. Warren vice-president. A year later our subject purchased the interest of his partner and has since had control. The bank is one of the most reliable financial institutions in Butler county, and as a financier Mr. Warren ranks among the ablest. He has made good use of his opportunities throughout life, has prospered from year to year, has conducted all business matters carefully and successfully, and in all his acts displays an aptitude for successful management. In advancing his own interests he has not disregarded the rights and privileges of others, and has taken a commendable interest in public affairs, acceptably serving as one of the first trustees of Rising City, and as a member of the school board for fifteen years.

      Mr. Warren has been twice married; first in 1877 to Miss Esther Thomas, who died after a short married life of one year, leaving one child, Eddie L., that survived her about six months. Subsequently he wedded Miss Jennie M. Carpenter, of Aurora, Illinois, by whom he has nine children, viz: Lewis A., Merritt C., Elizabeth L., Willard B. and Henry C., now living,



and Marion D., Frank A., Edmund C. and an unnamed infant, all dying in infancy. In social circles the family occupy an enviable position. 

Letter/label or barSCAR M. BOND, an enterprising and energetic farmer residing on the southwest quarter of section 31, township 13, range 1, Polk county, was born on the 19th of November, 1854, in Cattaraugus county, New York. His parents, Henry F. and Martha (Ingalls) Bond, were also natives of the Empire state, the former born in Farmersville, January 16, 1823, the latter, December 7, 1824, and their marriage was celebrated in 1844. Henry F. Bond was reared and educated at Farmersville, New York, and there learned the harness maker's trade, and followed that calling for nearly twelve years. He also operated a foundry at Franklinville, for nearly three years, or until 1856, when he removed to Delaware county, Iowa, and engaged at farming there until 1881, when he came to Polk county, Nebraska, and died there in February, 1897. He took an active interest in politics, and was an ardent Republican, and filled some minor offices while residing in Iowa. He was married in 1844 to Martha Ingalls. He lived to celebrate his golden wedding, at which all of their children were present, and twenty-two grandchildren. His widow now make her home with her children. He was an active and prominent member of the Baptist church, to which church she also belongs, and wherever known they are held in regard. The paternal grandparents of our subject were Ora and Laura (Carpenter) Bond. Ora Bond was born at Rutland, Vermont, in April, 1798, moved to New York about 1819, and settled in Cattaraugus county, and cleared a farm there. He held the office of justice of peace at Farmersville, New York, for nineteen years, and also filled other offices. He was a prominent Whig in politics. He was married in that county in about 1821, to Laura Carpenter, a native of Massachusetts. They had six children, three sons and three daughters, five of whom grew to maturity as follows: Henry F. ,Eliza A., Mary E., Marshall O., Adrain (deceased) and Laura M. All are dead but two, Mary E. and Laura M.

      The maternal grandfather of Oscar M. Bond, was Amos Ingalls, who was born at Acworth, New Hampshire. He was the son of Jonathan Ingalls, who was a native of New Hampshire also. Amos Ingalls was a brickmaker by trade. He came to New York in 1820, and followed his trade in that state until his death at Lockport in 1827. He married about 1820 to Louisa Ann Flagg, who was born in Canada, but came to Vermont when quite young. They had four children born to them as follows: Louisa A., who died in infancy. Oscar P., who died in Washington, D. C. Martha, now living in Nebraska, and Robert E., who died in infancy. His widow married again, and became Mrs. P. Brown. She came to Nebraska, and died in York county, in 1886.

      Oscar M. Bond is the fourth in order of birth in a family of seven children, of whom the eldest is Mrs. Josiah Locke. Henry L., a member of the Fourth Iowa Cavalry during the Civil war, was born February 26, 1847, and was married December 20, 1870, to Luella Cruise by whom he has two children--Oscar and Louise. Leoni M., born March 17, 1851, was married August 10, 1873, to William Perry and has three children--Maud, Bessie and Joy. Frank O., born July 11, 1857, married Jennie Roth, and has five children--Ralph, Perry, Byron, Maud and Harold. Coleman E., born November 15, 1863, married Edith Roe, and has three children--Leon, Bertha and Earl. Fred I., born December 24, 1867, married Lesta Walker and has one child--Joy.



      The subject of this review was reared in much the usual manner of farmer's sons, attending the common schools near his home and aiding in the labors of the fields and meadows. He remained under the parental roof until he attained the age of twenty-three years, being married November 18, 1877, the lady of his choice being Miss Mettie Thompson, who was born in Kane county, Illinois, January 30, 1857. Her parents, George and Cynthia (Serbaugh) Thompson, were both natives of Virginia, and early settlers of Kane county, Illinois, whence they removed to Buchanan county, Iowa, in 1865, locating on a farm, where the father died in January, 1890. The mother still survives. Their children were as follows: Mary is the wife of August Preussner and has four children--Mrs. Mattie Morris, Fred, Albert and Emma. Martha is the wife of Aaron Conner and has two children--Arthur and Mrs. Ina Larson. Henry married Maggie Carr and has nine children--Mrs. Jennie Kehr, John, Harry, Japeth, Maud, Nellie, Bernard, Howard and Gladys. Bina is the wife of Edward Brigham, and has eight children--Guy, Grace, Leon, Roy, Robbie, Leslie, Earl and Dorr. Perre married Ella Tickner and has four children--Lulu, Orma, Nellie and Inez, Mrs. Bond is the next in order of birth. John married Sadie Coloney and has two children--George and Mary.

      In February, 1878, Mr. and Mrs. Bond came to Polk county, Nebraska, and the following year purchased their present farm, which at that time was all unbroken prairie land, with the exception of a few acres he had placed under the plow in 1878. He erected thereon a frame residence which has since been enlarged and remodeled, making a good, comfortable home. His energies are devoted to both farming and stock raising, and he has prospered in his undertaking, being now the owner of a fine tract of two hundred and forty acres, all of which are under a high state of cultivation, yielding golden harvest in return for the care and labor bestowed upon them.

      The home of Mr. and Mrs. Bond has been brightened by the presence of nine children, namely: George H.; Roy O.; Claud A.; John O.; Ora E.; Merle I.; Fay C. and Fern M., twins; and Fred E. The parents are both devoted members of the Wayland Christian church, and Mrs. Bond has been a teacher in the Sunday school. Socially Mr. Bond affiliates with the Ancient Order of United Workmen at Gresham, and he has been a member of the school board in district No. 33, and treasurer of the same for four years. Politically he is independent, always endeavoring to cast his ballot for the man best qualified to fill the office regardless of party ties. 

Letter/label or barOHN W. HOFFMASTER, an intelligent and enterprising farmer carrying on operations in his chosen calling in Thayer township, York county, Nebraska, is a native of Maryland, born February 17, 1827, at Pleasant Valley, Washington county, and is a son of George and Elizabeth (Eckle) Hoffmaster, who were also born in that county. From there they removed to Pennsylvania, and in 1840 went to West Virginia, settling near Charlestown, where they spent their last days. By trade the father was an iron worker, but also followed the occupation of farming.

      The subject of this sketch is the eldest in a family of nine children--six sons and three daughters--and accompanied his parents on their removal to Pennsylvania, where he was reared and educated. In early life he was employed as overseer on a farm in Virginia until the outbreak of the Civil war, when he joined the Confederate army, enlisting in the fall of 1861 in Company B, Twelfth Virginia Cavalry, and serving under General Jones and General



Rosser. He was in many important engagements in Virginia and around Richmond but fortunately he was never wounded. Just before the close of the war he was captured by the Federal troops and held a prisoner until hostilities ceased. He continued to make his home in Virginia until 1881, when he came to York county, Nebraska, and purchased a tract of railroad land in Thayer township, to the cultivation and improvement of which he has since devoted his energies. The well-tilled fields and neat and thrifty appearance of the place testifies to his skill and ability in his chosen calling, and also to his perseverance and good management.

      Mr. Hoffmaster was married in Virginia, in 1852, to Miss Rebecca Kirk, a native of the Old Dominion, and a daughter of Charles Kirk. Six children were born to them, of whom three are still living, as follows: Horace W., William J. and Laura. The wife and mother was called to her final rest February 1, 1898. She was an earnest and consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, with which Mr. Hoffmaster and his children are also connected. In politics he is a Populist, and has most faithfully served his fellow citizens in the capacity of justice of the peace and as a member of the school board. During the seventeen years of his residence in York county, he has made a host of warm personal friends, and gained the confidence and esteem of all with whom he has come in contact 

Letter/label or bar.ILLIAM V. POWELL.--The history of this gentleman, who is one of the leading agriculturists of Thayer township, York county, is a forcible illustration of the exercise of perseverance and resolution under the pressure of financial disaster as well as amid the sunshine of prosperity. He first opened his eyes to the light of day in Fayette county, Ohio, March 20, 1836, a son of John T. and Mary (Miller) Powell, both natives of Virginia. As a means of livelihood the father always followed the vocation of farming, first in Ohio and later in Indiana, finally coming to Nebraska in 1871. He spent his last days in Grand Island, this state, where his death occurred in 1884. His father was a native of Wales. The mother of our subject died when he was only one year old.

      In the schools of his native state William V. Powell began his literary education, and after removing to Indiana with his father he attended school in that state. During the Civil war he was numbered among the boys in blue, enlisting in August, 1861, in Company A, Thirty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and participating in the battles of Shiloh, Stone River and Perrysville. At the end of eighteen months of service, however, he was honorably discharged on account of physical disability and returned to his home in Indiana. In 1863 he removed to Jefferson county, Iowa, and resided there until coming to York county, Nebraska, in 1872. Here he secured a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres on section 6, Thayer township, which he still owns, but to-day it bears little resemblance to the wild tract on which he first settled, for a wonderful transformation has taken place. Now waving fields of grain are seen on all sides and the land is all under a high state of cultivation. The little sod house, which was the home of the family for nine years, has been replaced by a comfortable frame residence, and everything about the places denotes thrift and prosperity.

      Mr. Powell was married in Iowa, in September, 1864, to Miss Sarah A. Fansher, a native of Ohio and a daughter of Isaac Fansher. They now have a family of eight children, namely: Mary E., Charles, Jennie, Fred, Frank, Estella, James H. and Mag-



gie. Since 1866 Mr. Powell has been a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and has been indentified with the Republican party since its organization, but has never cared for official honors. He has not only gained a home and competence since coming to this state but has also widened the circle of his friends and acquaintances, for he is well and favorably known throughout York county. 

Letter/label or barAMES AHERN.--Among the self-made men of Seward county--men who have accumulated a comfortable competence through their own energy and thrift--may be numbered the gentleman whose name heads this sketch. He is also one of the honored pioneers of this region and on section 34, precinct N, has developed a fine farm. He not only began life in this country empty-handed, but also had to battle with new customs, for he is a native of the Emerald Isle.

      Mr. Ahern was born in the province of Munster, County Limerick, Ireland, December 29, 1837, a son of Michael and Kate Ahern. He learned to read in the schools of his native land, but his educational privileges were meagre, and at the early age of twelve years began working as a farm hand, being thus employed for five years. His older brother, who had come to America some years before, then sent him a ticket to cross the ocean in a ship belonging to the firm of Topscot & Company, on which he sailed from Liverpool, May 13, 1854, and after a long and stormy passage of forty-two days he landed at New York. One sailor was lost on this voyage during a heavy storm in mid-ocean. Having lost the letter containing his brother's address, Mr. Ahern sought employment on reaching New York and immediately wrote home for the address. Possessed of more than ordinary self-reliance, he went to New Jersey and hired out to work for a farmer, with whom he remained for ten months. In the meantime learning the whereabouts of his brother he paid him a visit, and on leaving the farm he obtained a position in Brooklyn with a contractor engaged in making streets, remaining with him six months. During the following three years he worked for a farmer in Kings county, Long Island, New York, and after disagreeing with his employer he worked for George Benson one month at fifteen dollars. His next employment was in loading and unloading ships at the wharf, and was later with the Camden & Amboy railroad for about seven years.

      While with that company Mr. Ahern was married, April 26, 1864, to Miss Margaret Hickey, whom he had known for about five years, and who is a daughter of James and Ann (Malone) Hickey. After leaving the railroad he and his wife removed to Wisconsin, where he worked at whatever he could find to do, being for some time in the employ of the Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad. Leaving his wife in that state he came to Nebraska, reaching Plattsmouth November 7, 1869, and in April, 1870, he selected a homestead on the east half of the northwest quarter of section 34, township N, Seward county, and made a dugout. He then sent for his wife who arrived in September of that year, but spent the winter in Lincoln while he built a frame house and broke twelve acres of land. In the spring of 1871, however, they began life in earnest at their new home and both set to work to redeem the raw prairie from a wilderness of sunflowers and blue grass, transforming it into highly cultivated fields. They also planted trees and erected good and substantial buildings which stand as monuments to their thrift and enterprise. Their fine orchard is now about ten years old, contains many varieties of fruits. To the original farm Mr. Ahern has added from



time to time as his financial resources would permit until he now has two hundred and forty acres of valuable and productive land.

      Nine children have been born to our subject and his wife and eight are still living. George on leaving home went to Omaha, learned bookkeeping and shorthand, and is now employed as express messenger by the Adams Express Company. He devotes all his leisure time to the study of law and expects soon to be admitted to the bar. He married a Miss Kall, by whom he has one son, Raymond F., and they live in Lincoln. (2) Mary is at home. (3) Eliza is the wife of James McElvany, a farmer of Saline county, and they have three children: Mary, Beatrice and James Francis. (4) John went to Kilbourn City, Wisconsin, after leaving school, and entered a railroad telegraph office, where he learned telegraphy in about ten months. He then worked as an operator at different places for fourteen months, but becoming tired of this wandering life he returned home, and it is now his intention to attend school and perfect himself in the commercial branches. (5) Thomas L. is at home. (6) Kate is now with her brother George, in Lincoln. She has successfully taught several terms of school and is now pursuing a more advanced course of study than previously taken and also shorthand. (7) Maggie and (8) Alice are both at home. The family is one of prominence in the county, and parents and children all hold membership in the Catholic church at Friendville, Saline county. Mr. Ahern votes the Fusion ticket and advocates the free coinage of silver. 

Letter/label or barLINTON C. COBB.--The pioneers of a country, the founders of a business, the originators of any undertaking that will promote the material welfare or advance the educational, social and moral influence of a community, deserve the gratitude of humanity. The name of C. C. Cobb at once suggests the early days of York for he is one of the pioneer merchants of that city, where he still carries on operations, and to-day ranks among the most prominent business men of this section of the state.

      Mr. Cobb is a western man by birth and training, for he was born March 1, 1842, in Milwaukee county, Wisconsin, and in that state was reared to manhood. His parents, George N. and Liny L. (Perry) Cobb, were natives of New York and Vermont, respectively, and in 1835 emigrated to Milwaukee county, Wisconsin, where the father erected the first frame building in the town of Oak Creek. Subsequently they removed to Oconomowoc, that state, where they made their home until called from this life. By occupation, Mr. Cobb was a farmer, and his upright, honorable life gained him the confidence and esteem of all with whom he came in contact.

      The subject of this review is indebted to the common schools of Wisconsin for his educational privileges, and during his minority he remained upon the home farm, gaining a good practical knowledge of agricultural pursuits and honorable business methods under the able guidance of his father. His loyalty to his native land was manifest in 1862 by his enlistment in Company C, Twenty-eighth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and during his two years and five months' service he took part in the battle of Helena, Arkansas, and many skirmishes in the southwest. He held the rank of sergeant and was mustered out as such.

      Returning to his Wisconsin home, Mr. Cobb resided there until 1871, when he came to Butler county, Nebraska, and secured a homestead. In April, 1873, however, he removed to the city of York and opened a general store, which he conducted as such until 1884, since which time he has handled nothing but dry goods. In business



affairs he is energetic, prompt and notably reliable, and his career proves that the only true success in life is that which is accomplished by personal effort and consecutive industry.

      In 1866, Mr. Cobb was united in marriage with Miss Eusebia M. Wells, also a native of Wisconsin, and to them has been born one daughter, Mabel. Mr. Cobb has never taken any active part in political affairs aside from casting his ballot for the men and measures of the Republican party, preferring to give his undivided attention to his business interests. He is a prominent member of the Masonic Order, having taken Knight Templar degrees, and in social as well as business circles, his genial, pleasant manner has made him popular. 

Letter/label or barEORGE H. MILLER.--Among the business enterprises that contribute to the welfare of the city of Surprise, in Butler county, the mills of which Miller Brothers are proprietors are certainly deserving of mention. This mill was the first building erected in the present town of Surprise and was built by our subject's father. This enterprise, from which the name of the village was afterwards taken, derived its name from its founder's expression of surprise that there was water enough at that point to run a mill. Although these mills are not of such dimensions that they are supplying a vast amount of territory, yet as far as they are known they have an enviable reputation for the excellent quality of their product.

      George H. Miller, the subject of this sketch, was born in Peoria county, Illinois, March 18, 1858. His father, George Miller, was born in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, in 1823, and in early life he learned the shoemaker's trade. He was married in Pennsylvania just before moving to Illinois, in 1852, to Miss Elizabeth Herford. Upon reaching Illinois he immediately began the milling business in Peoria county, and was thus engaged ten years. He then went to Lagrange county, Indiana, and was engaged in milling there for ten years. He then moved to Seward county, Nebraska, in 1872, with the expectation of discontinuing the milling business and devoting his time to farming. In a short time, however, he resumed his former occupation and from 1875 until 1878 he operated the Ulysses mill. In1881 he built the mill at Surprise and turned it over to his sons, George H. and Frank G. The father, George Miller, was accidentally killed in this mill in 1888. He had retired from active business and was visiting in the mill when his clothes became entangled in the gearing. The present firm of Miller Bros. is composed of George H., the subject of this sketch, and Frank D. Miller. Prior to the death of their father the mills were operated under the firm name of Miller & Sons.

      Our subject was married in Merrick county, Nebraska, in 1881, to Miss Anna Cummings, and their wedded life has been blessed by the presence of two children, Nellie M., who is now twelve years of age, and Earl Roy, eight years of age. The Miller Bros. laid out a part of the town of Surprise and have also been potent factors in its growth and development. In politics Mr. Miller is a stanch Democrat and for many years he has performed the duties of the office of township treasurer. Socially he is a Master Mason and also a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. 

Letter/label or barEORGE P. CHESSMAN.--This gentleman is entitled to distinction as one of the most progressive and enterprising business men of York, and has since 1873 been identified with this section of the state. Upon the commercial activity of a com-




munity depends its prosperity and the men who are now recognized as leading citizens are those who are at the head of extensive business enterprises. He is a man of broad capabilities who carries forward to successful completion whatever he undertakes.

      Mr. Chessman was born in Cumberland county, New Jersey, December 20, 1835, and is a son of William and Lydia (Griffith) Chessman, the former a native of Wales, the latter of New Jersey. In 1852 they emigrated to Illinois and located near Chicago, where their deaths occurred. The father was a shoemaker by trade, but followed farming the greater part of his life. In the family were seven children, five sons and two daughters, of whom George P. is the fourth in order of birth, and he and one sister are the only ones who make their home in York. In the district schools of New Jersey and Illinois he obtained a fair education, and he spent his early life in farm work. Later he learned the carpenter's trade, which he was following when the Civil war broke out.

      In response to his country's call for aid in putting down the rebellion, Mr. Chessman enlisted as a private September 18, 1861, in Company D, Eighth Illinois Cavalry, and was in active service until the war ended, being honorably discharged in July, 1865. With the Army of the Potomac, he participated in the seven days' fight in front of Richmond; was in the engagement at Williamsburg, Virginia, the battles of Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, and was then on detached duty, taking part in a great many skirmishes. He was always found at his post of duty, and was once wounded.

      At the close of the war Mr. Chessman returned to his Illinois home, where he engaged in farming until 1873, and then came to York county, Nebraska, where he purchased land and has since made his home. In connection with farming he engaged in the lumber, grain and agricultural implement trade until 1877, when he turned his attention to the grain business exclusively, and is now the owner of seven elevators on the B. & M. R. and Northwestern railroads. He continued in active business until 1890, but is now practically living retired in the city of York. A man of keen perception, of unbounded enterprise, his success in life is due entirely to his own efforts, and he deserves prominent mention among the leading and representative business men of the county. In his political views he is a stanch Republican, but he has never cared for the honors or emoluments of public office.

      Mr. Chessman was married October 31, 1865, to Miss Martha Harrison, a resident of Bloomingdale, Illinois, but a native of New York. They have no children. 

Letter/label or barOHN SKINNER.--It gives us as much pleasure to place in this volume a brief record of this gentleman, who occupies an important position among the pioneers of Polk county, and who is now successfully engaged in general farming on the northwest quarter of section 20, township 13, range 1 west, Hackberry precinct. He was born in Venango county, Pennsylvania, May 30, 1844, a son of James B. and Nancy (McClintock) Skinner, who were married in that state. The mother died when our subject was a small child, and three of her six children are also deceased. Those living are John, Edward, and George L., the two latter residents of Venango county, Pennsylvania. The father is a native of New York, and a son of James B. Skinner, Sr. He has been twice married, his second wife being Sophia Hall, who died leaving no children. Until the war he engaged in farming in Venango county, and then sold his first farm and purchased another in the same county, making his home upon it for several years. He has also been interested in the oil busi-



ness since the early '60s, and still owns and operates oil lands and wells, and also has considerable farming property, but he has retired from active labor and, at the age of eighty-four years, is living retired in Pleasantville, Pennsylvania. He is a consistent member of the Presbyterian church, and highly respected by all who know him.

      Reared on a farm, John Skinner obtained a thorough knowledge of agricultural pursuits and a fair literary education in the district schools of the neighborhood. In February, 1862, he enlisted as a private in the Third Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery, but was assigned to Battery L, Fourth United States Light Artillery, which he joined just before the campaign in the Wilderness, in which he took part. He was in the battle of Spottsylvania and was then located near Dutch Gap Canal, remaining with the Army of the James until after Lee surrendered. With his command he was stationed at Richmond, Virginia, until November, 1865, was then sent to Fortress Monroe, and from there to Philadelphia, where he was honorably discharged on the 29th of that month. Fortunately he was never wounded nor taken prisoner.

      After one year spent at his old home in Pennsylvania, Mr. Skinner removed to Cedar county, Iowa, where he engaged in farming until coming to Polk county, Nebraska, in 1872. He located upon his present farm on the 6th of June, of that year, constructed a sod house and began breaking prairie. During those early days he used to go to Seward, a distance of thirty miles, and Lincoln, a distance of sixty miles, to do his trading. He was in rather limited circumstances, and in common with the early settlers endured all the hardships and privations incident to pioneer life, but he steadily overcame all obstacles in the path to prosperity, and is now the owner of a fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres, all under a high state of cultivation with the exception of ten acres. The buildings upon the place are in perfect harmony with the well-tilled fields and everything betokens thrift and prosperity.

     In February, 1882, Mr. Skinner was united in marriage with Miss Anna Belle Anderson, who was born in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, December 11, 1856, a daughter of William H. and Marian (Negus) Anderson, also natives of Pennsylvania, where they spent their entire lives, the mother dying in 1883, the father in 1887. They were farming people and the parents of nine children, namely: Frank, Mrs. Emma King, Mrs. Sarah Kelly, Mrs. Skinner, John, deceased, Mrs. Rosie Smith, Mrs. Ida Baltzer, deceased, Mrs. Melda Weed and Mrs. Myra Perkins. Mr. and Mrs. Skinner have three children: Marian Pearl, Mabel Sophia and Nellie June. The parents are leading members of the Wayland Christian church, take an active part in its work, are teachers in the Sunday school, and Mr. Skinner is serving as deacon and trustee. He was the first commander and is the present quartermaster of B. F. Stephenson Post, No. 132, G. A. R., of Gresham, and is one of the prominent and influential members of the Republican party in his section of the county. He has been a delegate to a number of county and state conventions; and has served as a justice of the peace, and as a member of the school board in district No. 33, discharging his duties with promptness and fidelity. 

Letter/label or barOHN NELSON, an active and enterprising agriculturist residing on section 17, Stewart township, York county, is a native of Engleholm, Sweden, born November 2, 1849, and is a son of Nels Swanson, a farmer by occupation. His parents spent their entire lives in Sweden, but our subject resolved to try his fortunes in the new world where he believed better opportunities were


Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller