NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



afforded ambitious and industrious young men for advancement, and accordingly at the age of eighteen years emigrated to this country and first located in Chicago, where he was employed for seven months in the nursery of P. S. Peterson, at Rose Hill. He then worked on a farm at Belvidere, Illinois, for a year and a half, and then engaged in house-moving and later in teaming at Evanston, that state. After the great fire in Chicago he worked at the carpenter's trade there until 1872, when he made a trip to Colorado, but returning to Evanston, he continued to work at the carpenter's trade until 1885.

      That year witnessed Mr. Nelson's arrival in York county, Nebraska, and he located on section 19, Stewart township, where he had purchased land some years before. Twenty-five acres were already broken and during the five years he resided thereon he made many improvements upon the place. At the end of that time he traded that property for his present farm of one hundred and sixty acres, all of which is now under excellent cultivation with the exception of eight acres. He has rebuilt the residence, so that he now has one of the best homes in Stewart township, has also erected corn cribs and made other improvements amounting to twelve hundred dollars. Since coming to this state he has given the greater part of his time to agricultural pursuits, but has also worked some at the carpenter's trade.

     On September 23, 1874, Mr. Nelson was united in marriage with Miss Lena Maria Johnson, who was born in Sweden, in 1855, and they have become the parents of seven children Charles Alfred, Edward Frederick, Frank William, John Ernest, Wendel Monroe, Harry Bernhart and Victor Nathaniel. The parents are sincere and active members of the Swedish Methodist church, of Stromsburg, in which Mr. Nelson is serving as trustee and class leader, and they also attend English services of the same denomination at Gresham. They are members of the Degree of Honor at that place, and he also affiliates with the Ancient Order of United Workmen and belongs to the Swedish Mutual Benefit Society. Politically he is a Populist, has been a delegate to the conventions of his party, was director of school district No. , for three years, and is at present road overseer. Industry, energy and economy are his cardinal virtues, and have brought a merited success to crown his efforts in business life. The genial, generous and sociable character of both himself and wife have endeared them to all with whom they have come in contact, and they merit and receive in the highest degree the respect and confidence of the community in which they live. 

Letter/label or barON. WILLIAM A. BROKAW.--One of the active, prominent and enterprising citizens, as well as one of the honored pioneers of Seward county, is the gentleman whose name heads this sketch, and who is at present engaged in agricultural pursuits on section 14, J precinct. He made his first appearance upon the stage of life in Fairview, Illinois, June 12, 1843. His father, Isaac I. Brokaw, was born in Somerset county, New Jersey, January 2!, 1800, and at an early age enlisted in the United States army; serving as lieutenant when only eighteen years old, and later as captain and major. In 1824 he was one of General La Fayette's escort on his last visit to this country. He was married in New Jersey, in 1825, to Miss Alletta Schanck, a daughter of Josiah Schanck, who served as baggage master in George Washington's army. Our subject is the sixth in order of birth of the seven children born of this union, of whom four are still living.



      William A. Brokaw is indebted to the common schools of Illinois for his educational privileges, and his business training was obtained upon the home farm. On the 14th of October, 1863, he was united in marriage with Miss Jane A. Hageman, of Fairview, Illinois, by whom he had four children, namely: Frank H., Alletta, Addie C. and Willie H., all of whom are married and living in Seward county with the exception of Willie H. who is now twenty-one years of age and is at home. Mrs. Brokaw, who was a devoted wife and loving mother, was called to her final rest March 12, 1894, and was buried in Mt. Pleasant cemetery. Our subject was again married July 3, 1898, his second union being with Albina Cox, of Seward county, a daughter of Jefferson Cox.

      It was in 1869 that Mr. Brokaw came to Nebraska and took a homestead of eighty acres in J precinct, but he now has three hundred and twenty acres of the finest land in Seward county, it being under a high state of cultivation and well improved with good buildings. His first home here was a dugout, and he was compelled to haul his lumber from Nebraska City, the round trip being one hundred and fifty miles. It was therefore slow work to get a building erected. Groceries could be bought in Lincoln, but a railroad had not yet been built, the first road into that city being completed in 1870. The town of Seward contained only a few stores and Milford was somewhat the larger at that time, while the few settlers were widely scattered over the prairies of Seward county. In 1874 the grasshoppers entirely destroyed the corn crops, and the following year the wheat crop was destroyed by the same insects.

      Mr. Brokaw has ever taken an active and prominent part in public affairs, and has filled a number of local offices, such as treasurer of his township, assessor, supervisor two terms and school district treasurer for twenty-five years. In 1895 he was also the choice of the people to represent the twenty-ninth district of Nebraska in the state legislature, and filled that position with credit to himself and to the entire satisfaction of his constituents. As a citizen he ever stands ready to discharge every duty devolving upon him and justly merits the esteem in which he is uniformly held. 

Letter/label or barR. JOHN HERSCHEL EAST, whose portrait appears on another page, readily takes his place as a leading physician of Rising City, Nebraska. While it would be invidious to attempt to award first place and rank to any one member of the profession in this part of the state, yet no one would deny a high standing to this enterprising and capable physician and druggist, who has solved that problem that so many find impossible, how to combine the keenest professional skill and devotion with a practical business sense. He is a physician of acknowledged ability, and a business man whose success speaks for him.

      Dr. East is a native of the state of Iowa, and was born in Elvira, Clinton county, December 14, 1857. He received instructions in the higher range of learning at Carthage, Illinois, and at the State Agricultural College, where he was graduated in the literary course. He received his medical degree from the Iowa Medical College with the class of 1883. He did post-graduate work at the New York Polyclinic, and also at the Chicago Polyclinic, and has recently completed a postgraduate course at the Polyclinic College of Philadelphia. He began the practice of his profession at Dayton, Iowa, where he remained one year. He saw business possibilities in Nebraska, and collecting all his accumulations he came to Rising City with two hundred and fifty dollars, which was borrowed money, and an old horse and buggy. He has achieved a re-



Picture button




markable success. He is regarded as one of the leading physicians of this part of the country, and has very extensive property interests. He owns four hundred acres near Rising City, and is the proprietor of the South Side drug store, a fine brick block of modern construction, and occupies one of the finest residences in the city. He owns a far western ranch of something over three thousand acres. He keeps pace with all that is new and best in his profession, and has done much to lift the practice of medicine up to high standards in Butler county.

      Dr. East belongs to an ancient Scottish family, who trace their ancestry back to Norman-French origin. His father, Thomas East, was born in Edinburg, and his mother, Anna Killham, in Northumberland, England.

      Dr. East was first married in 1884 at Marshalltown, Iowa, to Miss Eva M. Emerson. They had three children, two of whom, L. May and John H., are now living. Their mother died January 12, 1898. The Doctor was again married in July, 1898, to Miss Emma Tolman, a native of New Hampshire, and a daughter of Daniel and Mary (Reed) Tolman. Her father's people came from England in 1650, and the farm on which she was born has been owned by the family for two hundred and twenty years. 

Letter/label or barRANK P. HAWLEY is the owner of a fine farm of one hundred and twenty acres of highly productive and fertile land, on section 7, Stewart township, York county, which he has by industry and good management, with its attendant hard labor, brought to a high state of cultivation. The buildings which he has erected are of a neat and substantial character, and all the improvements are made with a view of convenience in his business.

      In Wirt county, West Virginia, Mr. Hawley was born July 6, 1853, a son of A. and Pamelia (Van Valkenburg) Hawley, both of whom were natives of New York. They removed to Marshall county, Indiana, at an early day and there the father taught school before the Indians left that region to seek homes farther west. He also engaged in the boot, shoe and leather business at Plymouth, the same county, for fifteen years, and was numbered among the most reliable and highly respected business men of that locality. He died in 1892 or '3, but his wife is still living and now makes her home in LaPorte county, Indiana. She is a member of the Methodist church. They reared a family of six children, namely: Mrs. Mary Funk; Calvin, who served for three years and a half in the Union army during the Civil war; James, deceased; Mrs. Jennie Stevens; and Frank P.

      The subject of this sketch was principally reared in Indiana and acquired his education in the district schools of that state. On leaving home in 1873, he came to Nebraska, where he worked by the month as a farm hand for nine years, and then purchased eighty acres of land on section 6, Stewart township, York county. In 1884 he married Miss Ellen White, a native of Wisconsin, and they made that farm their home until 1890, when he traded it for his present property, which at that time was only partially improved. He now has one hundred and five of the one hundred and twenty acres under cultivation, has enlarged the house and barn, and has also put in a tubular well. In connection with general farming, he is also interested in stock raising, and has upon his place a fine herd of shorthorn cows.

      To Mr. and Mrs. Hawley have been been born three children: Calvin, Charles and Harry Delos. Socially he is a member of the ancient order of Ancient Order of United Workmen at Gresham, and politically is identified with the Republican yarty (sic). He has capably filled the office of



road overseer in his township. His uprightness, integrity and public-spiritedness, have won him the confidence and esteem of his neighbors, and he is classed among the most respected representative citizens of his community. 

Letter/label or barETER D. WEIS.--Among the sturdy and stalwart citizens of Fillmore county, whose place of birth was the faraway German Fatherland, and who, with the industry and thrift so natural to the people of that country, are rapidly progressing toward that financial condition so much coveted by all, is the subject of this personal history. For many years he was prominently identified with the agricultural interests of the county, but is now successfully engaged in the livery business in Geneva.

      Mr. Weis was born in Luxemburg, Germany, October , 1859, and was a lad of ten years when he came to America with his parents, Peter and Katrina (Schmidt) Weis, landing in New York City in the spring of 1869. After visiting relatives in Wisconsin, the family proceeded to Henry, Marshall county, Illinois, and finally located in La Salle county, that state, where the father engaged in farming for two years. In the spring of 1871 they started for Nebraska and arrived in Fillmore county, May 1. The father homesteaded a tract of land on section 14, Momence township, and was assisted by our subject in improving and cultivating the land for about eleven years, at the end of which time the father gave to him one hundred and sixty acres of land and he began farming oil his own account. For about seven years he and his brother worked together in the operation of their farms.

      On the 7th of January, 1878, Peter D. Weis was united in marriage with Miss Susan Sampont, a daughter of Jacob and Anna (Strauss) Sampont. They have become the parents of four children, named as follows: Charles J., Arthur, Lawrence, Peter and Cordilla. The two oldest are now attending the schools of Geneva and are making rapid progress in their studies.

      After his marriage Mr. Weis continued to work with his brother for a year, and then built a house and located on his own farm, to the further improvement and cultivation of which he devoted his energies for nine years. Since then he has made his home in Geneva and engaged in the livery business, having purchased a stable which he has stocked with a good line of carriages and fine horses. He and his wife have labored hard to secure a home and competence and the success that has crowned their combined efforts is certainly well deserved. Both are devout members of the Catholic church, Mr. Weis having been confirmed at Sutton, Clay county, Nebraska, his wife at Port Washington, Wisconsin. They now attend church at Turkey Creek or Geneva as the opportunity presents itself. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM A. CARPENTER, vice president and manager of the South Platte Creameries, one of the largest and most widely known butter-manufacturing institutions in Nebraska, is the pioneer creamery man of York county.

      Mr. Carpenter was born in Rhode Island, in 1846, was educated in the high schools of his native state, and made his home there until twenty-four years of age. He then operated a dairy farm near Worcester, Massachusetts, and was bookkeeper for a produce firm in that city for a number of years. In 1878 he moved to Monticello, Iowa, and bought an interest in a creamery in Jones county, and operated same for three years. He then returned to Worcester, Massachusetts, and for several years operated a dairy farm near that city.

      In 1882 Mr. Carpenter again went to Iowa and engaged in the creamery business



at New Hampton for one year, and in 1884 he moved to Sutton, Nebraska, and assisted in the founding of the Sutton creamery, which was among the first in the state. Our subject was connected with this institution until 1889, when he went to Aurora, Nebraska, and organized a creamery company at that place. Then in company with J. H. Smith and E. J. Hainer, he organized the South Platte Creamery Company. The officers of this company are as follows: Jerome H. Smith, president; William A. Carpenter, vice-president and manager; and E. J. Hairier, secretary and treasurer. The general office is at Aurora, Nebraska, and the general manager's office is at York, Nebraska. The first plant was erected at Aurora, and since then plants have been purchased and erected at the following places: Osceola, Wahoo, Ulysses, York and Arborville, in addition to several other smaller plants at various places. These plants are among the largest in the West, and the most modern and up-to-date in operation. They produce over one million pounds of butter per year and find market for their produce in Boston and other eastern cities, as well as Denver and many of the western cities.

      Mr. Carpenter is not only the pioneer creamery man of York county, but is also one of the pioneers of Nebraska, and has done much to develop and build up these interests in the West. He is a member of the State Dairyman's Association and has filled the office of president and director of that organization. He is also a member of the Masonic fraternity and the Royal Arcanum. Mr. Carpenter is a man of excellent executive ability and understands thoroughly the intricate affairs of the business with which he is connected. He has been very successful in all the business enterprises in which he has embarked and has become very popular throughout the county and many parts of the state as one of its leading and most prominent business men, but has taken little interest in politics. 

Letter/label or barLBERT WALKER MAINE.--When a good man dies the entire community suffers a loss, although he may leave an influence that widens as the years roll by, through the better lives of those who were directly benefitted by him. So when the late Albert Walker Maine was called from time to eternity, many felt a personal sense of loss due to their knowledge of his unassuming piety, good citizenship, and habits of industry and prudence. An old settler of Butler county, he had become known to a large circle, and had pursued a career that had won an abundant reward in a financial sense.

      Mr. Maine was born in Windham county, Connecticut, June 11, 1843, and his father, Jonathan W., and also his grandfather, Fenner, were both natives of Connecticut. Our subject's mother was a lineal descendant of John Robinson, of colonial fame. The early life of our subject was spent in teaching school, but he was later employed by the Willimantic Linen Company in the capacity of bookkeeper. He was married, April 30, 1873, to Miss Lois Palmer, of Windharn county, Connecticut, a daughter of Alfred and Caroline (Parkherst) Palmer, the latter a descendant of Lord Percy, of Wales, and the former a son of Ephraim Palmer and a grandson of Joseph Palmer, who served in the Revolutionary war. The last-named was a son of Seth Palmer and a grandson of Walter Palmer, who came from England in the colonial days and settled in Stonington, Connecticut.

      In January, 1883, Mr. Maine came to Nebraska with his family to visit relatives, and upon examining the country he decided to locate there. He accordingly purchased a farm in Ulysses township and improved it, but a year later he moved to the town of



Ulysses, and purchased an interest in a banking business and was thus engaged until death, which occurred March 30, 1889. Too much cannot be said of the executive ability of Mr. Maine as exhibited in the management of his own private business, and the more intricate affairs of the banking institution with which he was connected. He had a brilliant education and was a man of excellent abilities, and thoroughly understood the details of the institution of which he was the head. In all public matters and in all projects tending to the development and improvement of Ulysses he has taken an active interest, and during his life in Butler county he was closely identified with its growth and development. His wife, Lois (Palmer) Maine, and his three daughters, Flora, Beulah and Ida P., survive him.

      In politics he was a Republican, and served for several years as a member of the board of county supervisors and was chairman of the same for some time. 

Letter/label or barSAIAH PAISLEY, who was one of the brave defenders of the Union during the dark days of the Civil war, and is now a leading farmer of Polk county, Nebraska, residing on the southwest quarter of section 2, township 14, range 1 west, is one of the honored sons of Ohio, born in Harrison county, January 25, 1843. His parents, Hugh Curley and Mary Ann (Haines) Paisley, were natives of the same county, the former a son of John Paisley, who was born on the ocean while his parents were emigrating from Scotland to America, and the latter a daughter of John Haines. On leaving Ohio in 1851, Hugh C. Paisley, with his family, removed to Clark county, Illinois, and three years later went to Louisa county, Iowa, where the mother died, being laid to rest in the cemetery at Morning Sun. Subsequently, in 1882, the father came to Nebraska, where his death occurred, and his remains were interred at Shelby, Polk county. In their family were ten children, of whom nine reached years of maturity, namely: Samuel F., who died June 20, 1862, at Corinth, Mississippi, while a soldier in the Union army; Isaiah, of this review; Francis T., who was a member of the Eighth Iowa Cavalry during the Civil war, and is now a resident of Morning Sun, Iowa; Ezra S.; Mrs. Eliza Jane Dodson; Ira; Mrs. Mary Lockhart; Mrs. Annie Peel, and John Henry.

      Isaiah Paisley accompanied his parents on their removal to Illinois, and later to Iowa, and most of his education was acquired in the schools of Morning Sun. Prompted by a spirit of patriotism, he enlisted October 4, 1861, in Company C, Sixteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and his first engagement was the two-days battle of Shiloh under General Grant, which was followed by the siege of Corinth, the battle of Iuka, the race against Price and Van Dorn at Corinth and the battle at that place, and the engagements at Bolivar Heights and Holly Springs. He spent Christmas at Memphis, and then, with his regiment, went by boat to Milliken's Bend and back to Vicksburg, participating in the entire siege of that place. After the battle of Meridian, Mississippi, under General Sherman, they returned to Vicksburg, where they re-enlisted for the remainder of the war and were granted a thirty days' furlough which Mr. Paisley spent at his home in Iowa. After rejoining Sherman's army at Big Shanty, Georgia, he took part in the battle of Chattahoochie, and was in all the engagements leading up to Atlanta. On the 22nd of July, 1864, his regiment was surrounded by the enemy, and after using up their one hundred rounds of cartridges the Rebel regiments in front threw down their arms, raised a white flag and, surrendered. A company from the Sixteenth Iowa Regiment was detailed to



march the prisoners to the rear, but here the Rebel force was so strong that they retook their men and also the company guarding them. They next surrounded the remainder of the Sixteenth, including our subject and captured them all. They were first taken to East Point, Georgia then marched to Griffin, that state, and by cars were sent to Andersonville, where Mr. Paisley was confined from July 22, 1864, until the 19th of September, following. He has often seen men shot down on the dead line, and saw the poor starving fellows eat beans that had passed through other men. The death rate here was about one hundred every twenty-four hours, and he contracted chronic diarrhoea besides losing many pounds in weight. He was exchanged at Rough and Ready, Georgia, under the arrangement of General Sherman and General Hood, and was then with the former commander on his celebrated march to the sea. They supported Hazen's brigade on the charge on Fort McAllister and were in the Carolina campaign. At Newburn, North Carolina, Mr. Paisley was sent to the convalescent camp and later to Troy, New York, and on leaving there rejoined his regiment at Washington, District of Columbia, where he participated in the grand review. At Louisville, Kentucky, he was mustered out, and discharged at Davenport, Iowa, in August, 1865, with the rank of second corporal. His regiment was a part of Crocker's brigade, and was composed of as brave and fearless men as could be found anywhere in the service.

      For some time after the war, Mr. Paisley traveled a great deal through Iowa, Kansas, into the Rocky Mountains, Colorado, back again to Kansas, then to Southwestern Missouri, and finally returned to Iowa. In February, 1873, he came to Polk county, Nebraska, and the following April secured a homestead--the farm on which he is still living. At that time there was but one frame house between Blue River and The Bluffs. He erected a sod house and at once began the improvement and cultivation of his place. He owns a quarter section, of which one hundred and thirty acres are now under a high state of cultivation and improved with good and substantial buildings. At Christmas, 1892, he removed to the village of Shelby, and the following May was appointed city marshal, a position he acceptably filled for three years and ten months. On the 1st of March, 1897, he returned to the farm, which he is now successfully operating.

      Mr. Paisley was reared in the Presbyterian faith, and socially is a member of R. O. D. Cummings Post, No. 102, G. A. R., of Shelby, in which he has served as commander for four years. He has been a stanch Republican in politics since casting his first vote for Abraham Lincoln when only twenty years of age, while in Georgia during the war. He has always taken an active and commendable interest in public affairs, was the first constable of Canada precinct, which office he filled for six years, and he was also elected justice of the peace, but refused to qualify. He is one of the most valued and honored citizens of his community. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM UFFELMANN is a farmer and the owner of a well-kept place on section 2, Beaver township, and has done his share in converting a flower-loaded prairie into a grain-bearing garden of the world. He has lived in York county for nearly if not quite a quarter of a century and in that time has witnessed a magical change. In 1872 a cautious student of the west might have been willing to concede its settlement in a hundred years, but he would have insisted upon time as the first requisite in making an empire west of the Missouri. But the door was opened, and the word went out, that homes and farms were wait-



ing for a nation and the rush began. Almost before people were done coming to seek new homes the state was filled, and the great transformation completed.

      William Uffelmann, as his name might indicate is of German extraction, and is a native of the kingdom of Prussia, where he was born October 13, 1844. He reached the years of maturity while still in his Prussian home, and after having good educational advantages he was sent to learn the trade of a baker. He did in old country fashion, and when he was a journeyman baker came to America. This was in 1868. He remained in New York one year, and followed his trade. He spent some time in St. Louis, and then, feeling that his trade was too close and confining, engaged in farm work in Missouri. In 1872 he entered this state and made a homestead entry of the farm which he owns and occupies at the present moment. He threw up the inevitable sod house, and in 1875 erected a neat frame house. This was anticipatory of his marriage with Miss Matilda Schmidt, which occured the same year. She is a sister of Mrs. J. H. Naber, and has been a good wife to the man of her choice.

      Mr. Uffelmann raised a little sod corn in 1873 and the next year harvested quite a yield of wheat. In 1887 he had grown so opulent that he felt warranted in the erection of his present family residence at an expense of eleven hundred dollars. It is a modern house, and is a credit to the town. He has now a farm of four hundred acres, well improved and equipped with modern machinery. He raises grain and sends it to market in the shape of beef and pork, and is a capable and progressive farmer. He is the father of nine children: Clara, August, Carl, Helena, Arnold, Frederick, Ernest, William and Theodore, and four that are dead. He and his good wife are members of the Lutheran church, which he has served as treasurer for several years. He has voted and acted with the Republican party in recent years, and has been road overseer. He has been on the school board of the district in which he lives. His children attend both the German and English schools, as he wishes them to keep the language of their parents. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM Q. DICKINSON, a prosperous farmer and highly esteemed citizen of the city of Seward, Seward county, belonged to an old and honored Virginia family of Scotch and English descent. His grandparents, Eligah and Anna (Quarles) Dickinson, were both natives of the Old Dominion, the former born in 1795. The father. John Q. Dickinson, was born in Kentucky, July 7, 1820, and on reaching manhood married Miss Eliza J. Major, who was of French descent. Her parents were Chastine and Johanna (Hopkins) Major, the latter a daughter of Captain Hopkins, of Christian county, Kentucky. Her father was born May 25, 1800, and was a son of John Major, who settled at Stouts Grove, McLean county, Illinois. It was in 1835 that the Dickinson and Major families emigrated to Illinois, the former locating at Walnut Grove, Woodford county, and their members became quite extensive farmers and stock raisers of that state. John Q. Dickinson is still living and now makes his home in California, but his wife, the mother of our subject, died September 9, 1890, and was laid to rest in the cemetery at Danvers, Illinois.

     For several years John Q. Dickinson was one of the leading breeders of high grade horses and cattle in the state of Illinois, and was a wealthy farmer and one of the most influential men of his community, taking great interest in public improvements and new inventions and encouraging every enterprise calculated to advance the general welfare, especially along educational lines. He

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller