NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



careful management in business have brought him prosperity, and his life record illustrates what may be accomplished by the man of ambition and determined purpose.

      Mr. Ward was born in Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, February 6, 1854, a son of Thomas and Bridget (Ferguson) Ward, the former a native of Ireland and the latter of New York. The father came to America when a young man and in 1848 located in Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, among its pioneers. He entered eighty acres of heavily timbered land from the government, being compelled to pass by the prairie land and take a claim which would supply him material to build a house and also furnish him fuel, as he had only forty dollars in money. He built a log cabin, and while clearing his land also worked in a brick-yard to a limited extent in order to gain some ready money. At length he developed a good farm and is now worth twenty thousand dollars. He is living retired on the old homestead which is operated by his sons. His first wife died in 1864 and he afterward wedded Mary Reilly, a native of Ireland, who died in the spring of 1897. There were seven children by the first marriage and two by the second.

      John M. Ward, the eldest of the family, was reared on the old homestead and early trained to habits of industry and economy. He assisted in the arduous task of clearing the wild land and developing new fields, and in the district schools of the neighborhood acquired his education. He remained with his parents until his marriage, which was celebrated in 1878, Miss Aurilla Matteson becoming his wife. She was born and reared within three miles of the Ward homestead in Fond du Lac county, and by her marriage has become the mother of four children, George R., Ella, Harry and Percy.

      In 1879 Mr. Ward brought his little family to Fillmore county and located on a farm of one hundred and sixty acres, two and a half miles west of Exeter, which he purchased from the railroad. It was a tract of raw prairie for which he agreed to pay five dollars and a half per acre. In six years it was free from all indebtedness and he then sold it for twenty-eight hundred dollars, after which he purchased his present farm, consisting of the west half of section 13, Geneva township. The purchase price was six thousand, half of which he paid down and the balance in six years. He has made many excellent improvements, has erected a good residence and substantial barns and out-buildings, has secured the latest improved machinery and has upon the place all the accessories and conveniences of the model farm. In addition he owns eighty acres on section 14, making four hundred acres in all. This has been acquired entirely through his own efforts, and for his success he certainly deserves great credit. His business methods are honorable, his labors energetically prosecuted and he has not only won prosperity but has gained the confidence and regard of all with whom he has had dealings.

      In politics Mr. Ward has always been a Republican, and has ever been active in support of its men and measures. He has served as assessor of Geneva township, and is now serving his second term as a member of the county board of supervisors. For many years he has been a faithful and exemplary member of the Masonic fraternity and also holds membership with the Modern Woodmen of America. For twenty years a resident of Fillmore county, he has ever been loyal to its interests and well deserves mention in its history. 

Letter/label or barHOMAS E. BENNETT.--Among the leading attorneys now living in York county, may well be noted Thomas E. Ben-




nett. He has resided in York for about sixteen years and his record as an honorable and upright citizen is without a blemish. He was born in Clark county, Indiana, November 9, 1847, a son of William N. and Abigail (Nealey) Bennett, the former a native of North Carolina and the latter a native of New York. The father was a Methodist minister. He moved to Indiana with his parents when quite young, and entered the ministry in that state. He moved to Illinois in 1857 and settled in Adams county and made that his home until his death, which occurred in 1888.

      Thomas H. Bennett, the subject of this sketch, was educated in Illinois, in the common schools and the Shaddock College. He began reading law in 1874, at Quincy, Illinois, and in January, 1877, was admitted to the bar and at once began the practice of his profession. He continued in Quincy until 1882, and then moved to York county, Nebraska, and has made his home here continuously since. Mr. Bennett is a man of marked distinction in the community, and his standing as a good citizen is irreproachable. Several important offices have been entrusted to his care, and he has never failed to justify the confidence placed in him by the people. He was elected police judge of the city of York in 1885, and in the fall of the same year he was elected county judge of York county and served for two years and a half. He has been a member of the York city council and for one term was president of the same. He was city attorney for three years and has also performed the duties of many other minor offices. In connection with his professional work he also handles real estate and loans on farm property. He is a man of excellent business capacities, having met with eminent success in all the enterprises in which he has embarked. At whatever line of business he has engaged he has made many friends by his push and energy. In politics he affiliates with the Republican party but is an independent thinker.

      Mr. Bennett was married in 1887 to Miss Victoria L. Brown, a resident of York county, and their wedded life has been blessed by the advent of a family of six children, all of whom are living. Our subject is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and also of the Knights of Pythias, and has held the position of grand representative in the latter fraternity for three terms. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM CHERRY.--There is no man in Stromsburg precinct, Polk county, wider or more favorably known than Mr. Cherry, who came to this section of the country in poineer (sic) days, and is recognized as one of the important factors in its progress and development. His farm, located on section 20, township 13, range 2, is one of the most highly cultivated tracts to be found in the county.

      A native of Canada, he was born in Mallorytown, Leeds county, February 28, 1835, a son of Leon and Philinda (Althouse) Cherry, also natives of the Dominion, whence they removed to New York about 1841, spending two years near Pulaski. For nine or ten years they made their home near Gouverneur, St. Lawrence county, that state, and in 1854 emigrated to DeKalb county, Ill., settling near Syracuse, where the following six months were passed. In the fall of 1854 they went to Lafayette county, Wisconsin, where they spent their remaining days. They were the parents of three children: Thomas, William, and Fred Alfred, who was a soldier in Company I, Sixteenth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry during the civil war, and was wounded in the right shoulder in the first day of the battle of Shiloh.

      William Cherry accompanied his parents on their various removals until they finally located in Wisconsin, where he be-



gan life for himself. Hardly had the echoes from Fort Sumter's guns died away when he enlisted April 22, 1861, as a private in Company H, Third Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and with his regiment he went to Hagerstown, Maryland, where they were armed. They arrived at Sandy Hook, that state, on the day of the battle of Bull Run, and participated in the following engagements: Harper's Ferry and Bolivar Heights; did provost duty at Frederick, Maryland; was in the Shenandoah Valley under Banks; participated in the battles of Buckston Station and Winchester; was in the campaign under Pope; in the battles of Cedar Mountain, Beverly Ford, second battle of Bull Run, Chantilly and Antietam, where Mr. Cherry received a gunshot wound through the right wrist, being confined in a hospital at West Philadelphia until his wound had healed. On rejoining his regiment they went into winter quarters at Stafford Court House, and when the campaign of the following year opened, they took part in the battles of Chancellorsville, Beverly Ford and Gettysburg. They were sent south to Stevenson, Alabama, chasing Wheeler's cavalry, and then proceeded to Wartrace, Tennessee, where Mr. Cherry was granted a veteran furlough after re-enlisting. He rejoined his command at Tullahoma, Tennessee, and participated in the battles of Resaca and New Hope Church, where he received a gunshot wound through the left thigh. He was first sent to the Nashville hospital, but on the 27th of June, 1864, was transferred to the hospital in Murfreesboro. Gangrene setting in, he was confined there until January 8, 1865, when he was ordered to rejoin his regiment at Goldsboro, North Carolina, where General Joseph E. Johnston surrendered. The troops then proceeded to Raleigh, and on to Washington, District of Columbia, by way of Richmond, and participated in the grand review at the capital. At Louisville, Kentucky, Mr. Cherry was mustered out, July 18, 1865, and returned to his home after over four years of arduous and faithful service, during which time he often displayed great heroism. At Antietam he was twice wounded, and at New Hope church received three wounds. He was promoted to the rank of corporal and later to sergeant of his company, being mustered out as such.

      After the war Mr. Cherry returned to his Wisconsin home, but a year later went to Oil City, Pennsylvania, and afterward spent two years at Meadville, that state. On again going to Wisconsin, he was married April 8, 1868, to Miss Jane Holcomb, who was born in Connecticut, September 6, 1835, a daughter of G. C. Holcomb. They have become the parents of three children: Mary Alice, now the wife of Edward Bloomquest, by whom she has one child, Florence; Frank S., who married Nettie Surley, and has two children, Willie and Burness; and Azel, deceased.

      Mr. Cherry continued to reside in Wisconsin until 1873, when he came to Nebraska, and has since lived upon his present farm in Polk county. For ten years his home was a sod shanty, but it has long since been replaced by a comfortable frame residence. On locating here his farm was unbroken prairie land, and the first year he raised only a small crop of sod corn, and the second year the grasshoppers destroyed everything except his wheat. With characteristic energy he overcame all obstacles and difficulties, however, and now one hundred acres of the one hundred and sixty acre tract have been placed under the plow and it yields a bountiful return for the care and labor bestowed upon it. Since attaining his majority he has been a stanch supporter of the men and measures of the Republican party, and he has creditably served as a member of the school board in district No. 34. He is one of the leading and prominent members of J. A. Mower Post,



No. 9, G. A. R., of Stromsburg, in which he has served as commander, junior and senior vice-commander, officer of the day, and quartermaster for many years. 

Letter/label or barRS. PERMELIA LONG, a worthy representative of one of the oldest and most highly esteemed families of Seward county, was born in Kentucky, in 1826, and is a daughter of Thomas and Mary (Bivens) Rogers, who were natives of Pennsylvania and Ireland respectively and were married in Kentucky. She is the third daughter in their family of ten children, of whom seven are still living. From Kentucky the family removed to Indiana and later to Illinois, and in 1862 her parents came to Nebraska, locating on a farm of one hundred and sixty acres in J precinct, Seward county, where they spent the remainder of their lives. The father, who throughout life followed agricultural pursuits, died May 13, 1876, the mother in April, 1867, and the remains of both were interred in Union cemetry (sic) in J precinct.

      As there were no public schools during the childhood of Mrs. Long, she was deprived of educational advantages. On the 1st of March, 1843, in LaPorte county, Indiana, when only seventeen years of age, she was united in marriage with Samuel Long, a native of Virginia, where he was reared and educated in the public and high schools. His parents, however, were Pennsylvanian people. At the age of twenty-one he went to Indiana, and after his marriage continued to engage in farming there for some years. In the spring of 1861 he and his family started with teams for Seward county, Nebraska, crossing the Missouri river on the 10th of June. He took a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres in J precinct and with the assistance of his children converted it into a most desirable farm, operating it quite successfully until his death, which occurred April 4, 1887, when he had attained the age of seventy-five years and four month. He was a true husband and loving father and had a host of warm friends throughout this region. Politically he always supported the Democratic ticket and his aid was never withheld from any object he believed calculated to prove of public benefit.

      Mrs. Long can relate many interesting incidents of pioneer days when this section was a desolate prairie inhabited mostly by Indians, and when buffaloes, antelopes, deer and prairie wolves were numerous. For a short time the family lived in a little log house minus both doors and windows, but soon a new double log house was erected, making a very comfortable home. They commenced at once to break and improve the land, and soon acre after acre was placed under the plow until the entire amount was converted into a rich and productive farm. Mrs. Long, who is a most estimable lady, beloved by all who know her, now makes her home with her youngest daughter.

      Six children, one son and five daughters, were born to Mr. and Mrs. Long. Elmira E., born July 12, 1844, married Doc Nihart, by whom she has one daughter, and died January 16, 1867, being laid to rest in Union cemetery. Lavina N., born March 23, 1846, is the wife of Simeon Snow and lives in Ruby, Nebraska. Elva S., born May 16, 1848, married William Waite and also lives in Ruby. Their marriage, which was celebrated September 23, 1866, is the first recorded as performed in Seward county. Simeon A., born January 12, 1854, died at the age of six years, six months and three days, and was interred in Union cemetery. Loila, born August 6, 1861, was married June 27, 1887, to F. Gowey and lives in Ruby. Luena Catherine, born February 11, 1867, was married March 16, 1887, to Irvin Neff, and they



have four children: Grover Adelbert, aged ten years; William Spencer, aged eight; Lyman, aged four; and Jona, aged six months. 

Letter/label or barARLOW S. BALLARD, a leading and substantial citizen of Arborville township, is now the owner of an excellent farm of two hundred acres, where he located in 1881, and from the uncultivated soil has built up a valuable homestead, which will remain as a monument to his industry and enterprise for generations to come. While laboring for his own advancement he has in nowise set aside the interests and well-being of the community around, but has aided all enterprises for the public good.

      Mr. Ballard was born in Broome county, New York, October 12, 1827, and is a son of Erasmus and Jamison (Pellett) Ballard, native of Vermont and Connecticut, respectively. During early life they removed to New York, where the father followed farming throughout his active business life. He died in 1862, but the mother is still living. Of their two sons, one is still a resident of the Empire state.

      The subject of this review passed his boyhood and youth in a manner similar to most farmer boys of the period, aiding in the work of the farm and attending the public schools when his services were not needed at home. He followed farming in New York until 188, when he emigrated to Nebraska and purchased land in Arborville township, York county, where he has since made his home, and where he has carried on operations as an agriculturist with most gratifying results.

      In 1853 Mr. Ballard was married to Miss Sarah McFarland, a daughter of Thomas and Mary (Frazier) McFarland, who were natives of New York. Our subject and his wife have four children, namely: Floyd D.; Clara A., now Mrs. O. Cole; Frank C.; and Horatio K. The family are members of the Congregational church, and socially Mr. Ballard in identified with the Masonic fraternity. In politics he is a free silver Republican and has never sought political honors. He has not only been financially successful since coming to Nebraska, but has gained the respect and esteem of all with whom he has come in contact. 

Letter/label or barL. G. JOHNSON is one of the stalwart and substantial citizens of Butler county, residing on section 6, Linwood township, who are of alien birth, and who have, by their own unaided exertions, raised themselves from the state of comparative poverty in which they came to this country to their present prosperous condition. He is engaged in general farming and stock raising, and is one of the well-to-do and highly respected citizens of his community.

      Mr. Johnson's early home was in Sweden, where he was born November 19, 1828, and he is a son of John Johnson and Lena (Anderson) Johnson. At the age of twenty-two years he took passage on a vessel bound for America, and on reaching Rockford, Illinois, found himself seven dollars in debt to a companion for his fare from New York. At St. Charles, Illinois, he worked for Elisha Foot for eight dollars per month for the first month and six dollars for the following three months. Although this was during the harvest season of 1852, when the work was exceedingly hard, he considered his wages good.

      Mr. Johnson was married, in 1857, to Miss Ann Bracken, of Rockford, who was born in Ireland, and was a daughter of Michael Bracken, of Staten Island, New York. Seven children blessed this union; five, Leonard, Seward, Henry, Lena and Dwight, all born in Illinois, and the other two, Harvey and Howard, born in Butler county, Nebraska. The oldest son, Leon-



ard, is engaged in farming on section , Linwood township, Butler county; Henry is studying law, while Harvey and Howard are preparing for the ministry. The wife and mother, who was a most estimable lady, was called to her final rest in September, 1896, and was laid to rest in Edholm cemetery.

      Through A. J. White, who had been a neighbor of our subject in Illinois, Mr. Johnson decided to come to Butler county in 1871. In two covered wagons the family drove overland to their new home, arriving in August of that year. They brought with them five horses and four head of cattle, and on reaching their destination Mr. Johnson traded one team, with harness and wagon, worth $250, for eighty acres of land, on which he has since made his home. Upon his place was a little log shanty, 12x12 feet, which served as a shelter for the family until a more substantial house could be erected. In his new home Mr. Johnson has prospered, and his success is certainly well merited. He is a highly industrious man, and of rigid and sterling integrity, and his honesty of purpose and upright principles have won him the respect and confidence of every one with whom he has come in contact. He was one of the founders of the Christian church of Edholm, and he and his family take an active and prominent part in all church work. 

Letter/label or barAVID WALKUP.--A reputable standing among the agriculturists of York county, Nebraska, is accorded by all to the gentleman whose name heads this article. He is considered one of the substantial and highly esteemed citizens of the county. His home farm, which is located on section 2, of Lockridge township, is one of those fine tracts so common to the famous farming districts of the state of Nebraska. It is given over to farming on general lines, which Mr. Walkup carries on in the most modernized and improved methods, thereby winning due reward for his toil and forethought. He was one of the first settlers of Lockridge township, and has always sanctioned any project that had, for its ultimate object, the developing of the great natural resources of the county. He was born February 14, 1821, in Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania; and is a son of William and Margaret (Kuntz) Walkup, who were also natives of the Keystone state. The father was a farmer by occupation, and died in his native state, having been the father of eight children.

      David Walkup was the sixth child in order of birth of a family of eight, and received his education in the common schools of Pennsylvania. When he was still a young man be began work as a farm hand, and he made his home in his native state until he attained his seventeenth year, when he removed to Holmes county, Ohio, where he resided for ten years. While a resident of the last-mentioned place he learned the carpenter's trade with his brother, and followed that calling there for three years. In 1846 he moved to Jefferson county, Iowa, where he made his home for the following ten years, engaged in farming, and in working at his trade. In August, 1862, he enlisted in company D, Nineteenth Iowa Infantry, and served until April, 1864. He was in the Red River expedition, and participated in the battle of Prairie Grove, and also an engagement at the mouth of the Red River, where he received a wound, which later caused his discharge on account of disability. After his discharge from the army he returned to Iowa, where he remained until 1865, when he located in Nebraska (sic) county, Nebraska, and resided there until 1871. He then located permanently in York county, of the state, and took up a homestead which he now owns. It was wild and unbroken prairie when he took it, but he has brought it to a high state of cul-



tivation, and to-day he has one of the finest farms in the county, well improved, and adorned with a large and commodious dwelling.

      Mr. Walkup was united in marriage in Ohio in the year 1841, to Miss Elizabeth Brewer, a native of Pennsylvania, who died in Iowa in 1856. They were the parents of seven children, as follows: Alphus, John, of whom a sketch will be found on another page; Andrew, Margaret J., Sarah E., Minerva and Susie, all of whom are still alive. Mr. Walkup takes an active interest in the political life of the community, and is a stanch supporter of the principles of the Republican party, though he has never sought an office. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. He is considered one of the most substantial and highly respected citizens of the township in which he resides. 

Letter/label or barHARLES O. NORTON is a man whose successful struggle with adverse circumstances shows what can be done by industry and economy, especially if a sensible wife seconds his efforts to secure a home and competence. He has been obliged to make his way in life without any of the aids which are usually considered essential to success, but prosperity has at length crowned his efforts and he is now the owner of a fine farm on the southwest quarter of section 12, township 13, range 4, Polk county.

      Mr. Norton was born September 29, 1842, in Hillesocken, Sweden, and in the fall of 1849 started for America with his parents, Olaf and Catherina (Moller) Nordeen. While en route the mother died on a canal boat from cholera, but the father, with this three children--Lewis, Charles O. and Kate H.--proceeded to Henry county, Illinois, where they arrived in September.

      At three different times he owned homes, but never lived very long in one place, spending his time in this country in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois, and at length returning to Hille, Sweden, where his death occurred.

      Reared in Illinois, Charles O. Norton acquired a good education in the public schools of Andover, which he attended until eighteen years of age. On the 29th of February, 1864, feeling that his adopted country needed his services, he enlisted in Company A, Forty-third Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and joined his regiment at Little Rock, Arkansas. He took part in all the movements in which they were engaged, and was afterward appointed warden of the military prison at Little Rock, where he remained until mustered out of service in November, 1865. Returning to Andover, Illinois, he turned his attention to the more quiet pursuits of farm life.

      On the 8th of October, 1866, Mr. Norton wedded Miss Mary S. Hurty, who was born in Andover, November 15, 1849, and was educated there. They have three children: Eleanora H., now the wife of Albert Lind, by whom she has three children, Hannah, Florence and Nellie; John O. N., who has attended Bryant University at Stromsburg, and is now a student at University Place, M. E., at Lincoln, Nebraska, and Nettie, who completes the family. All have been liberally educated in both Swedish and English languages.

      In 1873 Mr. Norton came to Polk county, Nebraska, and homesteaded the tract on which he still lives. He built a small house thereon, and the first year planted ten acres of sod corn, three of wheat and five of oats, but rented the ground for the last two products. 1874 was the year of the dreadful grasshopper plague, and from the twenty-three bushels of oats which he sowed, he only reaped nineteen bushels, those insects taking the rest. They also destroyed a lot of poplar slips, two hundred rods of hedge and a number of apple trees which he had set



out, and although his wife tied a tablecloth, four double, over a pan of bread dough, they got in that. The next year, however, Mr. Norton raised good crops and has steadily prospered until he is now the owner of two hundred and forty acres of rich and productive land, all under cultivation with the exception of forty acres. He raises a fine grade of stock, and is to-day numbered among the most thorough and systematic agriculturists of his community. In 1888 he erected his present comfortable residence at a cost of two thousand dollars, and underneath it has an excellent brick cellar and also a brick cistern. All of the improvements upon his place stand as monuments to his thrift, industry and enterprise.

      Mr. and Mrs. Norton are leading members of the Swedish Methodist Episcopal Church, known as Swede Plain Church, of which he is a trustee and also local preacher, besides serving as superintendent of the Sunday school. Fraternally he affiliates with the Grand Army post at Stromsburg, and his political views coincide with the principles of the Republican party except on the money question, he being in advocate of the free coinage of silver. He has served as school director in district No. 44 for years, has been assessor of Pleasant Home precinct, and has been the candidate of his party for the state legislature, and also for county treasurer. Polk county has no more popular or influential citizen and he commands the respect and esteem of all with whom he comes in contact either in business or social life. 

Letter/label or barENRY MEINBERG, one of the most industrious, enterprising and reliable farmers of I precinct, Seward county, his home being on section 19, is a native of Illinois, born in Winnebago county, January 2, 1849, and is a son of Conrad and Emma (Baum) Meinberg, who were born, reared and married in Germany, where the father worked at the shoemaker's trade for many years. On their emigration to America they had four children and their family was later increased by the birth of two more. They made their home in Illinois, where the father died at the age of sixty-three years, and the mother subsequently removed to Iowa, where she passed away at the age of seventy-four. The farm in Illinois was divided among the children, who are all living with the exception of one daughter.

      Reared on the old homestead, Henry Meinberg assisted in the labors of the farm and attended the district schools of the neighborhood. He was confirmed in the Evangelical church at the age of fifteen. When twenty-four years old he was united in marriage with Miss Mary Getz, who was then twenty. Her parents, George and Mary Getz, were natives of Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, and they, too, located in Illinois on coming to the new world, operating rented land there for some years, but finally came to Nebraska with our subject and his wife. The father died in precinct J, Seward county, July 4, 1893, at the age of sixty-three years, but the mother is still living on her farm in that precinct at the age of sixty-four. On their arrival here they purchased eighty acres of railroad land. They reared a family of five children, four daughters and one son, of whom three of the daughters are still living.

      For two years after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Meinberg remained in Illinois and then boarded a train, finally landing in Lincoln, Nebraska, and thence proceeding by teams to Seward county. In precinct I he purchased eighty acres of land at eight dollars per acre, and for two months they lived with Mrs. Meinberg's parents in a sod house while their own little frame shanty, 12 x 14 feet, was being constructed. Our subject had four hundred dollars with which he purchased lumber for his house and barn



and also bought a few cows. He had brought with him his team, wagon and harrow from Illinois. During the three years following his arrival here he broke his first purchase of eighty acres of land, and then bought an adjoining eighty acres for nine dollars per acre. In 1898 he purchased another eighty-acre tract for two thousand three hundred and five dollars, and now has a valuable farm of two hundred and forty acres, which he has placed under a high state of cultivation and improved with substantial, buildings. With the assistance of his son he is operating the land with good success, raising seventeen hundred bushels of corn on fifty-five acres. Upon his place he has set out many shade trees, also one hundred and fifty apple trees, peaches, grapes, and fruits of all kinds.

      To Mr. and Mrs. Meinberg were born four children, three daughters and one son, namely: Mary, George, Emma and Marie. The oldest daughter was struck by lightning while sitting on her father's lap and died from the injuries received. He was also stunned and one end of the house was torn out. Among other hardships incident to pioneer life Mr. Meinberg had his leg broken by a kick from a horse and for an hour lay in the snow before anyone came to his aid. A storm raged furiously for some days and the doctor was unable to reach him, and it was about twelve weeks before the limb began to heal. In his political affiliations he is a Democrat, and he and his family hold membership in the Evangelical church, while in the social circles of the community they occupy an enviable position. 

Letter/label or barEORGE C. FISHER.--This gentleman is a representative general farmer and stockraiser of York county, Nebraska, who resides on an elegant farm on section 15, of Lockridge township. He is a man who is both widely and favorably known, and is also highly respected for his many sterling traits of character.

      Michael and Sarah (Stick) Fisher, the parents of our subject, were both natives, of York county, Pennsylvania, the former having been born in 1815, and the latter in 1821. The father was a farmer by occupation and followed that calling for many years. They were married in 1840 in Pennsylvania, and are the parents of ten children, six of whom are now living. In 1849 they moved to Hamilton county, Indiana, where they resided until 1858. They then removed to St. Joseph county, in the same state, where they still reside, the father in his eighty-third year, and the mother in her seventy-seventh.

      George C. Fisher was born April 23, 1845, in Maryland, and was given the benefit of a common school education in the district schools of Indiana, where he resided when a boy. He followed farming for many years and then learned the carpenters and cabinetmaker's trade, which he followed until 1875. In the last-mentioned year he entered the employ of the Studebaker Wagon Works at South Bend, Indiana, where he remained for three years. In 1880 he decided to go west and finally settled in York county, Nebraska, on the farm on which he now resides. His estate consists of one hundred and sixty acres of fine land, well improved and under a high state of cultivation. It presents a fine appearance, with a large barn and the necessary outbuildings, and the large and commodious dwelling. In fact, as it now stands, it is considered one of the most desirable pieces of property in the vicinity.

      Mr. Fisher was married on January 2, 1871, to Miss Mary E. Freehafer, a native of Huntington county, Indiana. Their union has been blessed by the birth of the following children, who are eight in number, and of whom we have the following record: Ivan A., born 1875; Elta L., born 1878;



Melvin E., born 1882; Charles C., born 1883; Jennie G., born 1885; Leila D., born 1887; Florence E., born 1890; and Mildred H., born in 1893. The family areall members of the United Brethren church, at which they are regular attendants.

      In politics Mr. Fisher was a Republican, but is now an ardent adherent of the free silver cause. He was road overseer, and also served two terms as township treasurer. Socially he is a member of the A. O. U. W. Mr. Fisher is a very pleasant neighbor, is congenial and warm hearted, and resides in one of the most hospitable homes in the county. 

Letter/label or bar. M. BAUGH owns a good farm of one hundred and sixty acres, pleasantly located on section 36, Morton township, York county, where he has been operating successfully since 1880. He is a thorough and skillful farmer and a man of more than ordinary business ability. He was born in Knox county, Ohio, December 14, 1852, and is a son of Levi W. and Cassie (Parrish) Baugh, also natives of the Buckeye state. The father, who is also a farmer by occupation, was born in 1823, and continued to reside in the state of his nativity until 1856, when he emigrated to Illinois, first locating in Fulton county, and later removing to McDonough county, where he still continues to reside. He has reared a family of four sons, two of whom now live in York county, Nebraska.

      C. M. Baugh, of this review, is indebted to the public schools of Illinois for his educational privileges, while his business training was obtained on the home farm, where he early acquired a good practical knowledge of all branches of agriculture. He continued to follow farming in that state until 1880, which year witnessed his arrival in York county, Nebraska. At first he leased eighty acres of school land on section 36, Morton township, but afterward purchased eighty acres, where he now resides. When he located thereon it was all raw prairie, but he has brought the land to a high state of cultivation, having added another eighty to his farm, and has erected a comfortable residence and a good set of farm buildings, to which each year he adds something to enhance the beauty and value of his property.

      In 1883, in Warren county, Illinois, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Baugh and Miss Hester Lybarger, a native of that state, and to them have been born three children, namely: Cassie J., Lulu M. and Bertha M. Socially he is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and politically is a stanch Populist, but has never cared for the honors or emoluments of public office. 

Letter/label or barARREN I. LANCASTER.--As an all-round prominent man of York county, there is probably no one of its citizens who more justly deserves the title than Mr. Lancaster. He is yet in the prime of vigorous manhood, intelligent and well educated, and as such is highly esteemed and respected. He is the present sheriff of York county and is also operating a livery business in the city of York. Our subject was born in Adams county, Illinois, May 18, 1860, a son of William and Isabell (Prather) Lancaster, natives of Ohio and Indiana respectively. The father was a farmer by occupation, and has always been engaged in that calling, but is now living in retirement, in Adams county, Illinois, where the greater part of his life has been spent. The mother is now dead.

     Warren I. Lancaster, the subject of this sketch, was reared on a farm and educated in the district schools of the county of his nativity. In 1885 he migrated to York county, Nebraska, purchased a farm

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller