NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



excellencies of character. The loss to her husband was almost unbearable, but he takes great comfort in the little son, Burt D. LeRoy, who was born to them in Nance county, June 6, 1890.

      After the death of his wife Mr. Miller abandoned farming and devoted all his time to teaching, and later sold his property in Nance county. As a teacher he met with remarkable success, and during the twenty terms followed that profession he commaded (sic) the highest salaries paid. Later he was interested in the real estate business and was also agent for a fraternal life insurance company. He still owns considerable property, including value land and town property in Platte, Merrick, York and Polk counties. At the age of fourteen he was confirmed in the Evangelical Lutheran church in Berks country, Pennsylvania, but subsequently joined the Methodist Episcopal church to which his wife belonged. Upright and honorable in all things, and esteem of those with whom he comes in contact and warm friends in his adopted state. 

Letter/label or barOHN DEDEN.--Many of the best citizens of Seward county have come from over the sea, particularly from the empire .of Germany. They have transported into the wilds of Nebraska the industry, thrift and economy of their native land, and have been very important factors in the rapid development and almost miraculous growth of this section. Of this class of honest, hardworking, alien born citizens, there is none that occupies a more prominent place then John Deden, one of the pioneers of the .county, who is now successfully engaged in agricultural pursuits in precinct 1. He was born in the province of Hanover, Germany, November 29, 1832, and attended the schools of his native land from the age of six to fourteen years. In the latter year he was confirmed in the Lutheran church. For seven years he was a member of the German army, and on being discharged he engaged in farming until his emigration to America. At the age of thirty-five years he was united in marriage with Miss Adelheid Bove and before leaving Germany one child was born to them; Annie, who is now the wife of John P. Stolz, of Seward county. The other children, Minnie M., Martha, Albert and Mary, were all born in this country and are at home with the exception of Martha, who is the wife of John Haganow, of Minnesota. The wife and mother departed this life in 1892 at the age of forty-nine years, leaving many friends as well as here immediate family to mourn her loss.

      In 1869, Mr. Deden with his little family crossed the Atlantic and a year later came to Seward county, Nebraska, taking a homestead of eighty acres in I precinct, where he now lives. He came on foot from Lincoln, passing no houses on the way and only a few dugouts. After constructing one of those rude dwellings on his own place the family moved in, and for several years underwent many hardships and privations such as are experienced by most pioneers. On foot Mr. Deden went to Nebraska City, a distance of sixty-five miles, where for two years he worked to earn the money to support his family. As soon as he was able to purchase a yoke of oxen he began to break and cultivate his land, but his team was stolen and one ox butchered. As he was in limited circumstances it was a hard matter to replace the team, and he also lost much during the grasshopper plagues and dry seasons. but at length prosperity crowned his efforts and he now has a good farm, on which he has set out many fruit trees of different varieties and erected good and substantial buildings. He is a pleasant, genial gentleman, well liked by all who know him. His first presidential vote was cast



for General U. S. Grant, and he has since been an ardent supporter of the Republican party. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM DU BOIS POST, a prominent citizen of Fillmore county, Nebraska, now living in retirement in the city of Geneva, was born June 24, 1846, near the village of Ontario, in Richland county, Ohio.

      The parents of our subject were Johiel and Elizabeth (Moorhouse) Post. Little is known of Mr. Post's ancestors, except that his grandfather came from England before the Revolutionary war. For some time he maintained his coat-of-arms, but finally grew weary of what he called "aristocratic playthings," and discarded it entirely. He was among those who, disguising themselves in Indian costume, helped to solve the tea tax problem, by emptying three hundred and forty-two chests of British tea into Boston harbor. When the war broke out he became a soldier of the Revolution.

      William Du Bois Post spent his childhood days on his father's little farm, near Ontario, Ohio. His mother died July 23, 1851, at the age of thirty-eight. His father died August 18, 1855, aged forty-six years. At this time William was but nine years old, and, having no relatives excepting his little brothers and sisters, he was placed by his guardian in care of William McBride until he should reach his majority. However, in 1864, when he was but seventeen years old, President Lincoln having issued a call for "one hundred day men," William enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Sixty-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He went with his company first to Washington, District of Columbia, thence to the army near Petersburg, then to Fort Pocahontas, thence to Powhatan, and finally to Columbus, Ohio, where, after his regiment had received the thanks of President Lincoln, he was honorably discharged, December 1, 1864.

      On returning home, our subject re-entered school, concluding his education at the academy at Savannah, Ohio. By the time he had reached the age of twenty-one, the greater part of his patrimony had been spent, but, being of a practical turn of mind, soon put a portion of his education to good use. He accepted an appointment as station agent for the railroad company at Ontario, which position he held until 1868. During this time he renewed his acquaintance with Miss Marilla M. Story, whom he had previously met at the home of an uncle. They were united in marriage June 28, 1868, in the Methodist Episcopal church of Galion, Crawford county, Ohio, by the pastor, Dr. Nelson. Mrs. Post was the daughter of John and Maria (Feiser) Story. Her father died at the early age of twenty-six years. The mother died six years later, leaving three young children in care of their grandmother, with whom Miss Marilla lived until her marriage to Mr. Post. Her father had commanded a company of militia for several years prior to his death, and, though young, was active and prominent in the community. Mrs. Post has one brother. He went west early in life and was with Kit Carson in many Indian raids and excursions. He enlisted in a Nebraska regiment of volunteers in the war of the Rebellion and is now a resident of southern Illinois.

      After their marriage Mrs. Post returned to her old home, while her husband ventured to try his fortunes in the west. He first located in Wyoming, but, having to live in a hut, he did not think it best to have his wife join him. He soon after returned to Eldora, Iowa, sent for Mrs. Post, and they made their home at that place for a period of six months, when he was appointed station agent at Steamboat Rock, Here they remained three months, when he was trans-



ferred to Albion, Iowa. He discharged the duties of this position for eight years, when his business, outside his railroad duties, increased to such an extent, that he was compelled to resign, that he might devote his attention to the grain business, having previously purchased the Farmers' Elevator. He conducted this business successfully until 1879. In November of that year, he removed, with his family, to the town of Bradshaw, eight miles west of York, Nebraska. Here, he erected a store building and opened a general merchandise store, at the same time taking charge of the telegraph and railroad station. He added a line of drugs and further extended the scope of his business by establishing a lumber yard and coal office. One year later he purchased the elevator and began dealing in grain and live stock. His excessive labors finally began to undermine his health and in 1885 he retired from active business. In order to have school advantages for his family, he removed to the city of York, but after five years again removed to Holyoke, Phillips county, Colorado, and opened a general merchandise business in 1892. Two years later, finding the high altitude unsuited to the health of his family, they returned to Nebraska, and located in Lincoln, where their children were given a literary and musical education.

      To Mr. and Mrs. Post four children have been born, named in the order of birth as follows: Leland V., Edna Zelda, Lillian Igurna, and Carl Mark. Leland V. died at the age of sixteen months. The others are at home, forming, with their parents, a most pleasant family circle. Miss Edna inherits her father's business traits. In August, 1898, she invested her savings in a small stock of general merchandise and opened a store in Geneva. She is attentive to her business, and with her father's counsel is destined to succeed. Miss Lillian, while a student in the conservatory of the State University, developed a contralto voice of remarkable strength and compass. Carl has had some commercial training, but his education is as yet unfinished.

      The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Geneva. Mrs. Post is an earnest worker and advocate of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union principles. Mr. Post takes little interest in political matters, voting for the best man, independent of party. For many years he has been a sufferer from a nervous ailment, but the quiet of retirement has done much toward restoring his former good health. He is a member in good standing of the Masonic fraternity, with membership at Holyoke, Colorado, and is also a member of the Ancient Order United Workmen, at York, Nebraska. 

Letter/label or barHOMAS HENAHAN, a well-known dealer in general merchandise at McCool Junction, Nebraska, is one of the oldest and most highly respected citizens of York county. In the spring of 1878 he came into this region from New York city, and bought one hundred and sixty acres of land in section 34, McFadden township, from an old soldier who had just "proved up" on it. There was a sod house and a well on the farm, and he "bached" it for eighteen months, and he "fried pork, boiled water and cooked slapjacks as good as anybody," according to his own report. Only fifteen acres were broken at the time of his purchase, and he set himself to the labor of improving and making a home on the wild prairie.

      Mr. Henahan was born in county Mayo, Ireland, December 25. 1845, and is a son of Thomas and Delia (Welsh) Henahan, who were also natives of the "Emerald Isle." There they lived and died. Thomas was reared on his father's farm, and had an education in the common schools. When



he was sixteen he took a position as a clerk in a dry-goods store. After working in the store for two years, he joined the Royal Irish constabulary, and served six years as a private, and received high recommendations for honesty and ability at his discharge. He reached these shores in 1871, and three days after his arrival secured a position in New York with A. T. Stewart, the well-known merchant prince. This position he held seven years, when he gave it up to come to this state. He was a farmer until 1887 when he secured the establishment of a post office and was appointed its first postmaster. In the fall of that year he opened a general store, which he has managed most successfully and profitably to the present time. In addition to the store and village property he owns two hundred and forty acres of land. He has served two terms as postmaster and has been a village officer most of the time. At present he is serving his third term as trustee. He is a stanch Democrat, and is active and influential in the party councils.

      Mr. Henahan was married to Miss Hannah Rea, November 3, 1880. She was born at Wapello, DeWitt county, Illinois, and is of Irish descent, her parents, Thomas and Margaret E. (Galvin) Rea, being born in the island. He is a member of the Ancient Order of the United Workmen and the Modern Woodmen of America at McCool Junction. He and his wife are members of the Catholic church at York. 

Letter/label or barRASMUS GRUBB, one of the prominent and influential citizens of Rising City, Butler county, is doing an extensive real-estate, loan and insurance business. He first went to Butler county in 1871, and at that time bought eighty acres of land, but did not locate permanently until 1876. He was born in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, August 4, 1850, a son of Charles Grubb, who was born in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, and moved with his parents to Crawford county when he was but three years of age, or in 1826. His father's name was Daniel Grubb. Charles Grubb, our subject's father, was married in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, in 1846, to Miss Dinah Davidson, a daughter of William Davidson, of New Jersey.

      Erasmus Grubb, the subject of this sketch, is the second in the order of birth of a family of eleven children, whose names in the order of their birth are as follows: Wayne, Susie, Erasmus, Garrett, Elizabeth, Ida M., Kate, George H., Charles, Louisa M. and Ella. Our subject was reared in Hancock county, Illinois, where his parents moved when he was nine years of age. He received his early education in the public school and supplemented it with a course in the Gem City Business College at Quincy, Illinois. In the fall of 1871 he went west on a prospecting tour, and upon reaching the vicinity of Rising City, which was then a wild prairie, he decided to make a small investment, and accordingly purchased eighty acres. He then returned to Illinois and remained until 1876. Upon his return to Butler county, Nebraska, in 1878, he entered the store of J. C. Paxton, the first, and at that time the only store in the city, in the capacity of bookkeeper and head clerk. He was thus engaged fifteen months and then resigned to accept the position of principal of the school at Rising City, the first school organized in that place. After severing his connection with the school work, Mr. Grubb embarked in the real-estate, loan and insurance business. Mr. Grubb is a man of good business qualifications and has met with eminent success in all the enterprises in which he has embarked, and especially in his present calling he has a large patronage and his business is one of the most extensive in that line in the county. He has also always in-



terested himself in all matters of a public nature and he has added much to the natural growth and prosperity of the community.

      In 1879 Mr. Grubb returned to his former home in Hancock county, Illinois, and was united in marriage with Miss Lulu Howes, daughter of F. M. Howes, of that county. Our subject is a member of the Congregational church, and socially he is identified with the fraternity of the Knights of Pythias. Politically he is a free silver Republican. 

Letter/label or barARRISON MUNDHENKE, a representative and leading farmer of precinct J, is a fair specimen of the sturdy agriculturists who have so largely assisted in the development of Seward county, and who are drawing from the soil the important elements of their future fortune. He was born in Stephenson county, Illinois, in 1855, and is a son of Frederick Mundhenke, a native of Germany, who when thirty years of age emigrated to this country with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Mundhenke, locating in Stephenson county, Illinois, where the grandmother of our subject died at the age of seventy years. The grandfather came with the family to this state and here passed away in 1876, at the advanced age of ninety-five years. Frederick Mundhenke married Mrs. Margaretta (Wittel) Stabler, a young widow, by whom he had four sons: George, Edward, Jacob and Harrison. For five years after his marriage Mr. Mundhenke continued to engage in fanning in Illinois, and then removed to Wisconsin, where he spent seven years, coming to Nebraska at the end of that time. Here his wife died in 1881 and was buried in the Evangelical cemetery in Seward county. Three years later he went to Oregon, and after purchasing property in the state of Washington, he returned to Portland, where he is now living on a farm. Prior to leaving Nebraska he was again married, and his second wife is also still living.

      The subject of this review received his education in the common schools of Illinois and Wisconsin, and was eighteen years of age at the time of the emigration of the family to Nebraska. This region was then a wild, undulating prairie, very thinly settled, and among the other hardships with which the early settler had to contend were the grasshoppers, and the seasons of 1874, 1880, 1890, 1893, 1894 and 1895 were so dry that very little was raised by the farmers, but mainly through his own industry, economy and good management Mr. Mundhenke has become quite well-to-do, and is now able to enjoy the fruits of his former toil, surrounded by all the comforts that make life worth the living. The father purchased a tract of railroad land from the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad Company at eight dollars per acre, and when our subject attained his majority he gave him one hundred and sixty acres of land in J precinct, Seward county, upon which he started to make a home for himself, breaking the prairie and erecting thereon good and substantial buildings. It is now one of the best farms and most beautiful and attractive homes in the locality. He now owns two hundred and forty acres of valuable (sic) land in J precinct, and four hundred and eighty acres in Kansas, making in all seven hundred and twenty acres, all free from indebtedness.

      At the age of twenty-three years, Mr. Mundhenke was united in marriage with Miss Fredericka Fix, who died in 1891, leaving five children besides her husband to mourn her untimely death. The children are Henry, Edwin, Oliver, Cora and Pearlie. Mr. Mundhenke has since married Miss Christina Stick, by whom he has the following children: Wallace, Abel, Ray and Clayton. Mrs. Mundhenke is a native of



Canada and a daughter of George and Christina Stick, who are still living in that country, the former at the age of seventy-three years, the latter at the age of seventy. By trade the father is a shoemaker. In their family are eight children, of whom Mrs. Mundhenke is the sixth in order of birth. The others are Conrad and Charles, who are also residents of Seward county, Nebraska, George, of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Englehart, of Michigan, and Elizabeth and Catherine, of Canada. All are married and have families.

      In his political affiliations Mr. Mundhenke is a Democrat and he ever takes an active and commendable interest in public affairs. When quite young he joined the Evangelical church, with which his family is also connected, and his life has ever been in harmony with his professions. 

Letter/label or barEORGE SHEPHERD, who was one of the valiant defenders of the Union during the dark days of the Rebellion, and is now an honored and highly esteemed citizen of York, was born in Georgetown, Brown county, Ohio, February 14, 1834, and is a son of William and Jane (Blair) Shepherd. His paternal grandparents were both natives of Scotland, and on their emigration to this country settled in east Tennessee, whence they later removed to Brown county, Ohio. The grandfather died in that state and the grandmother subsequently removed with her son William to LaSalle county, Illinois. Our subject's maternal grandfather was born in the north of Ireland, and when a young man came to the United States and after a short time spent in Pennsylvania, also became a resident of east Tennessee, where he married a young lady, who was a native of the Keystone state. At an early day they also removed to Ohio, as did the parents of our subject. On leaving that state William Shepherd and wife went to LaSalle county, Illinois, but three years later took up their residence in Morgan county, the same state.

      It was in the latter county that George Shepherd grew to manhood, remaining with his parents until he attained the age of twenty-five years. He then married Miss Mary Stevenson, a daughter of John H. and Ann E. (Jones) Stevenson, the ceremony being performed June 8, 1858. They began their domestic life upon a farm in Morgan county, and from there removed to a farm in Sangamon county, Illinois, and later became residents of Hillsboro, Illinois, where Mr. Shepherd opened a blacksmith shop and engaged in work at his trade until after the outbreak of the Civil war.

      On the night of the 13th of June, 1862, he dreamed that he was in battle with the forces in the field; he could see the Union lines; hear the cannon and small arms; and saw the flashes of fire from the cannon as they afterward appeared in reality on the battle field of Marksville Prairie, in what is known, as the Red river expedition under General Banks. The following day he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Seventeenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, at Camp Butler, and being a master mechanic he was soon appointed foreman in the post government shop at Memphis, Tennessee, where he often had more than forty men working under him in wood and iron. After nine months in that position he was promoted to regimental train master, later to brigade train master, and finally to division train master, and discharged his various duties to the entire satisfaction of every commander he served under during the remainder of his service. While stationed at New Orleans he was recommended by his superior officers for promotion to the position of quartermaster sergeant, but the division commander refused to let him be transferred, as his services had proved so valuable. During the two years he was trainmaster he



never lost his train nor even a wagon. At one time, while foraging for provisions, his little train was attacked by guerillas from behind bushes and trees, and while the bullets flew around him uncomfortably he fortunately escaped uninjured. He was never in the hospital but once-for about eight days-and then against his protests.

      On receiving an honorable discharge, Mr. Shepherd returned to Illinois, and in Jacksonville opened a shop, where he engaged in jobbing and manufacturing until 1869, when he returned to Hillsboro, where he had worked before the war. Six months later, however, he removed with his family to Springfield, Illinois, where the following year was passed, and then went to Williamsville, where he opened a shop of his own, conducting the same quite successfully for twelve years. He then came to Nebraska, arriving in York county in February, 1882, and has made his home here continuously since. Owing to ill health he has not actively engaged in business since 1883, and is now living retired in the city of York.

      Of the seven children born to Mr. and Mrs. Shepherd four are still living: Alice J., the eldest, married A. T. Hiett, and has one child, Earl Vance, a fine, healthy boy of twelve years, who holds his own among the school children of his age. Frederick G. married Ida Hagar, and they have one child, Arlo Guy, now fourteen months old. Nellie S. is a teacher in the high school of York, which fact speaks well for her ability, as this school ranks second to none of its kind in the state. She graduated with honors from the State Normal. Sarah E. married Charles E. Tracy, a son of John and Elizabeth Tracy.

      Mr. Shepherd cast his first presidential vote for Millard Fillmore, and since then has been a pronounced Republican, but believes in voting for principles and not for party. He and his wife were both reared in the Presbyterian church, and still cling to that faith, and their lives have ever been such as to merit the high regard in which they are uniformly held. Socially Mr. Shepherd is an honored member of Robert Anderson Post, No. 32, G. A, R., of York. He entered the-army a strong and healthy man, but after spending three years tramping from north to south through interminable swamps, across great rivers, and in engaging in skirmishes and hard-fought battles, his health became shattered, and he is now unable to perform any manual labor. He receives a small pension of twelve dollars. per month, which very feebly compensates. him for the hardships and sufferings occasioned by his army service. However, be has never repented following the dictates of his dream on the 13th of June, 1862. 

Letter/label or barLIVER WESTBERG, a prominent representative of the agricultural interests of Polk county, has since 1889 successfully carried on operations upon his present farm of eighty acres on section 33, township 14, range 2. Like many of the most industrious, enterprising and honored citizens of the county, he is a native of Sweden, born in Skona, October 2, 1862, and is a son of Nels and Anna Westberg, also natives of the same place. In 1867, with their family, they sailed for the new world, and first located in Moline, Illinois, where the father worked in a plow factory for seven years. In 1874 he came to Polk county, Nebraska, and settled on the northwest quarter of section 7, township 14, range 2, which was railroad land and entirely unimproved. After building a small frame house and sod barn, he commenced to break and cultivate his land, the first year raising some wheat and oats, but the grasshoppers destroyed his corn. To the development and improvement of his land he devoted his time and attention until life's labors



were ended. One day, while shelling corn, he slipped and fell, and catching his foot in the power, it had to be amputated. Gangrene afterward set in, from the effects of which he died November 5, 1887, at the age of fifty-one years. He was an upright, honorable man and a consistent member of the Baptist church, to which his widow also belongs. She now makes her home in Stromsburg. Their family consisted of seven children, namely: John N., Oliver, David, Ella, Bettie, Anna and Emma. John N. married Della Freeman, of Indiana, and now lives in Omaha, Nebraska, where he is serving his second term as city comptroller. David, a farmer of Osceola precinct, Polk county, married Hannah Ecklund and has one child, Gordon. Bettie is the wife of Ed Johnson, of Osceola precinct, and has one child, Jessie.

      Oliver Westberg began his education in the public schools of Moline, Illinois, and attended school to some extent after the removal of the family to Polk county, Nebraska. On attaining his majority he started out in life for himself, and owned and operated a farm, which he subsequently sold. In the spring of 1889 he located upon his present place and has since carried it on with good success, the well-tilled fields yielding golden tribute in return for the care and labor bestowed upon them. He raises both grain and stock, and is also engaged in shelling corn.

      On the 30th of December, 1888, Mr. Westberg was united in marriage with Miss Emma Gunnison, a native of Sweden, who came to America during childhood. They now have a little daughter--Ethel Beatrice, born May 11, 1890.

      Mr. Westberg is a member of the Scandinavian Mutual Insurance Company, of Polk county, and also belongs to the Odd Fellows' Lodge, of Osceola, and the Modern Woodman Camp, of Stromsburg. His political support is always given the men and measures of the Republican party, and he has frequently served as a delegate to county and state conventions of his party. For eight years Mrs. Westburg (sic) was one of the popular and successful teachers of Polk county, having acquired an excellent education in the schools of Lincoln, this state. She and her husband are widely and favorably known, and have a host of warm friends throughout the community in which they make their home.

      Ella Westberg has been a successful teacher, having taught the past eight years, and at present is teaching at Stromsburg. Miss Emma has taught three years, and at present teaches at Shelby, Nebraska. Miss Annie devotes her time to music, having taught music for a number of years. 

Letter/label or barUGUST JOHNSON came from Sweden when thirty years of age, bringing with him his wife and two children, and landed in New York with hardly enough money to pay his passage to Iowa. For the last twenty-six years he has been a resident of Bradshaw township, York county, Nebraska, and to-day is the owner of two hundred and forty acres of fine farm land, and has about him everything that is necessary to comfort or the successful prosecution of his business. Such a career is an epitome of American history, and shows what a blessing this country has been to the poor and the ambitious of the old world. He has accomplished these great results by no help except his own industry and character, and as he looks back over the years he may well be proud of the record he has made.

      August Johnson was born in Sweden in 1838, and in 1868 left his native country and emigrated to America. He landed in the city of New York in June of that year, in company with his wife and their two children. They have had ten children born to them, of whom six are now living, the youngest being fourteen



years of age: John C., Mary E., Emma C., Anna M., Ida S., and Carl A. Mr. Johnson left New York and took his family to Swedesburg, Iowa, where they found a home, and where he was able to secure work with the neighboring farmers at good wages for several years. He rented a farm when he had become familiar with American ways, and gradually grew quite forehanded. In 1872 he heard of the possibilities of Nebraska, and saw in the new state a home for himself and family. He put his effects into a wagon, and, taking his family, started for York county, which he reached late that year. He made a homestead entry of the south half of the northwest quarter of section 18, township 11, range 4, west, and on it he put up a sod house, which served to shelter his family one winter. This was then succeeded by a log house, in which he lived seven years. In the coming spring he was to find his eighty acres a wilderness of wild grass and waving flowers, which, however, fell beneath his breaking plow, and very soon was transformed into a highly cultivated farm. Here he remained for seven years, and then, receiving a good cash offer for his place, accepted it and purchased another farm, where he now resides, the southeast quarter of section 25, township 11, range 4 west, This new farm was also wild prairie, and he had thus to twice hew out his farm from the wilderness. He was strong hearted and active, and admirably succeeded in this larger undertaking. He now has a farm of two hundred and forty acres, thoroughly cultivated, and amply provided with all the necessities and conveniences of modern farming. His family have a pleasant and commodious home, and it is surrounded by such farm buildings as give dignity and character to the place. He has raised two orchards of apples, cherries, peaches and other fruit trees that the climate permits, as well as an abundance of small fruits.

      Mr. Johnson sees to it that his children attend the public schools, valuing highly the privileges of learning, which in his own boyhood were not lightly and easily secured. He and his wife are loyal members of the Swedish Lutheran denomination, and highly prize its inspirations and instructions. He belongs to no secret society, and in political matters has always acted with the Republican party. He has led an active career, and has endured many privations, but at sixty years of age is prosperous beyond the dream of his earlier life and commands the respect of a wide circle of friends and acquaintances. 

Letter/label or barBRAM COURTRIGHT, deceased, was for several years one of the most prominent and highly esteemed citizens of Seward county, within whose borders he located in 1866, Three years previous he had come to Nebraska, taking up his residence at Mt. Pleasant, near Nebraska City, in the fall of 1863, and remaining there until coming to Seward county, where he secured a homestead in precinct P.

      Mr. Courtright was born in Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, February 1, 1819, and was a son of Elisha and Sarah Courtright, representatives of an old and honored family of the Keystone state. For ten generations the names of Abram and Elisha have alternated between father and son in this family in the United States. Late in the forties, our subject, with his father and family, emigrated to Illinois and located at Dixon on the Rock river, where he learned the carpenter's trade. There he was married, on the 27th of August, 1849, to Miss Sally H. Gaunt, who was born in Muncy, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, April 27, 1828, a daughter of Richard and Hannah (Cook) Gaunt, who died when she was quite young. At the age of nine years she removed to Illinois with a married sister and first lo-



cated at Peru, but two years later went to Dixon, where she was subsequently married.

      In 1859 Mr. Courtright went to California, where he spent four years in quest of a fortune, and on his return east discovered the rich farm lands of Nebraska and decided to locate here. Reaching home, he loaded his effects into wagons, which were drawn by oxen, and with his wife and two children proceeded to Nebraska City. His first residence in Seward county was a dugout, where Mrs. Courtright extended the hospitalities of the home to the wayfarer of high or low degree. He soon became one of the leading and influential citizens in the early days of the county, and was held in high regard by all who knew him. He was a veteran of the Mexican war, was a true and loyal citizen at all times and under all circumstances, and commanded the respect and esteem of the entire community. Politically he was identified with the Republican party, and socially affiliated with the Masonic fraternity. His death occurred January 25, 1882.

      The children of the family, Elisha and Edith, received good educations, and were therefore well prepared to take a high place in the business and social world. The son now owns and successfully operates a large farm, where the family first located on coming to the county. He married Ella L. Cunningham, a daughter of James and Lucinda Cunningham, but she died in 1894, leaving two sons, Abram and James. Edith is the wife of George B. France, of York, Nebraska, and has two children, George N. and Era. 

Letter/label or barRS. MARY HANEY is a venerable lady who is passing her last days in peace and quiet in her rural home near the postoffice of Bradshaw, York county. She has known many of the sadder experiences of life, and through her pioneer days tales and scenes of want and suffering have often drawn upon her kind heart and sympathetic spirit. She is now advanced in years, but bears herself with admirable strength and vigor. She is in many respects a remarkable character and has had a varied career.

      Mrs. Haney was born in Waterford, Ireland, May 21, 1825, and her parents, Patrick and Mary (Buckley) Donnavan, were both born and married in that city. At her marriage with Peter Doyle, when she was about twenty years of age, they left her native country, and after some changeful years, brought up at Springfield, Illinois. Mr. Doyle came first to this country. His wife followed and found him at New Orleans, where he was engaged in dredging the Mississippi. Her parents came on in about four years, and the entire family was settled on American soil. Mrs. Haney has been the mother of thirteen children, all but two of whom are dead. Her son John, who now lives with his mother, was born in New Orleans, and her other son, Peter, was born in Springfield. The parents of both Mr. and Mrs. Doyle lived on farms in Sangamon county, and were well acquainted with Abraham Lincoln. Mrs. Doyle was one of the ladies, who, being his intimate friends, bought the cloth and made him a pair of pantaloons, each taking a few stitches, and presenting him with the garment as a token of personal esteem. She declares he was a good man and a friend of the poor, and her grey head shakes with emotion as she talks about the man the world has learned to love, and whom the people of central Illinois knew so intimately and revered so profoundly. In 1858 Mr. Doyle died in Sangamon county, and in a short time her parents died in Logan county.

     The widow Doyle removed to DeWitt county, where she met William Haney and married him in 1865. He was a teamster in the Union army, and when his time was

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller