NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



character and standing in his own community. He brought his family to Nebraska in 1882. He made his first location on section 10 of this township, but after six years transferred his residence to his present quarters. It was then an untouched wilderness, but in the presence of such civilizing forces as the early settlers marshaled, it soon became fit for the dwelling place of a race of culture and advancement. He has put in all improvements, and made the place what it is. It cost hard work, but as we look over its broad acres we see that hard work pays. 

Letter/label or barHRIS C. WAMSLEY is a well known agriculturist of Polk county, whose home is on section 14, township 15, range 3. He evidences by the manner in which he carries on his business that he thoroughly understands the vocation in which he is engaged, and that success is attending his efforts toward acquiring a competence. Neatness and order prevail upon his place, which is managed, with regard to its cultivation, in a manner which reflects great credit upon the owner.

      A native of New York state, Mr. Wamsley was born February 24, 1837, between Lakes Seneca and Cayuga, and is a son of William C. and Mandana (Travis) Wamsley, also natives of New York. His grandfathers were Chris Wamsley and Cornelius L. Travis. In 1835 his parents removed to Hillsdale county, Michigan, locating upon the present site of the city of Hillsdale, and both the Wamsley and Travis families were pioneers of that region. Soon after the close of the Civil war William C. Wamsley and family located on a farm ten miles south of Battle Creek, later removed to Union City, and finally settled in Cedar Springs, Michigan, where he died in 1882. His estimable wife, who has now reached the age of eighty-four years, is still a resident of that place. Both were earnest and consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Their children were Louisa, Chris, Elizabeth, Mary Ann, Lorina, Edwin, deceased, Gilbert, Harriet, Ransom, Emma and Ella.

      Upon the home farm in Hillsdale county, Michigan, Chris Wamsley was reared to manhood and is indebted to the district schools of the neighborhood for his educational privileges. On leaving home at the age of twenty-one, he learned the carpenter's trade, but in the fall of 1862 he laid aside all personal interests and, in response to his country's call for aid, enlisted in Company G, Second Michigan Volunteer Cavalry, joining the regiment at Louisville, Kentucky. He took part in the battle of Perryville, under General Buell, assisted in driving Bragg out of Kentucky; and was in the engagements at Mossy Creek, Resaca, Georgia, and Lost Mountain, whence he was ordered with his regiment to Franklin, Tennessee. Under command of General Croxton they went to Florence, Alabama, to operate against Hood, and were in a skirmish at Shoal Creek Bridge, which was followed by the battles of Franklin and Nashville, where the Confederate forces were under the command of Hood. Mr. Wamsley was mustered out at Nashville, and was sent to Franklin, where he was detailed as post carpenter for two months, being honorably discharged in June, 1865. Fortunately he was never wounded nor taken prisoner, but he was always found at his post of duty, gallantly defending the old flag and the cause it represented.

      Returning to Hillsdale county, Michigan, Mr. Wamsley operated the home farm until his father removed to a place near Battle Creek. He was married November 18, 1866, to Miss Mary Josephine Foster, who was born in Lorain county, Ohio, June 16, 1845, a daughter of J. C. and Julia Ann (Drake) Foster. Her maternal grandfather, Ziba Drake, entered the Con-



tinental army for service in the Revolutionary war when only sixteen years old. Her parents were born, reared and married in New York, whence they emigrated to Lorain county, Ohio, in 1840, and in 1851 moved to Defiance county, that state, where they made their home for fifteen years. In March, 1865, they settled upon a farm in Calhoun county, Michigan, where the father died May 29, 1867, but the mother is still living at the age of eighty-five years a resident of Branch county, Michigan. They held membership in the United Brethren church, and were the parents of ten children, seven of whom reached years of maturity, namely: Erwin, Lydia, Charles, Ralph, Mrs. Wamsley, Alice and Judson. The sons, Erwin and Charles, were gallant defenders of the Union in the Civil war. Two children were born to our subject and his wife, but only one is now living--Charles Edwin, who married Laura Comfort and has two children--Minnie Audrey and Lloyd Oral.

      In 1870, Mr. and Mrs. Wamsley removed to Battle Creek, Michigan, but the following year came to Nebraska and took up their residence upon their present farm in Polk county, when the country round about was still in its primitive conditions, the nearest improvements being seven or eight miles away. At Silver Creek there was a depot, sod store and saloon; there were no roads; and the Pawnee Indians far more numerous than the white settlers. They not only endured the usual hardships and privations of pioneer life, but also passed through the grasshopper scourge and the dreadful storm of April, 1873. For three years they lived in a sod house 11 x is feet, which was then replaced by a little frame residence. The first year Mr. Wamsley raised two and a half acres of corn and broke twelve acres with oxen, but to-day has one hundred and forty acres of his two hundred-acre farm under the plow, has set out a grove of six acres, and has made many other improvements upon the place which add to its value and attractive appearance. He has formerly a Democrat in politics, but is now a supporter of the People's party, and takes quite an active interest in public affairs; has served as road supervisor; and assisted in organizing school district No. 54, in which he has served as a member of the board for ten years. He and his wife are leading members of the Methodist Episcopal church and Sunday School, give liberally toward their support, and he is now filling the office of trustee. 

Letter/label or barOHN B. ALLEN, one of the early settlers of Leroy township, York county, was born in Lawrence county, Indiana, March 15, 1838, a son of James and Margaret (Phillips) Allen. The father was a native of North Carolina and moved, when about five years of age, with his father, John Allen, to Indiana. James Allen was the oldest of a family of seven sons and three daughters. He died in Iowa, in 1884, and wife also died in the state of Iowa in the year 1869. They reared a family of ten children, seven sons and three daughters.

      Our subject was educated in Indiana, and began farming in that state when quite young. He moved with his parents to Iowa, and engaged in farming on his own responsibility in Madison county. In 1871 he moved to York county, Nebraska, and located a homestead claim in section 24, Leroy township, being one of the earliest settlers of the township. His first habitation in this state was a sod house, as his capital at that time was very small, but, by his industry and economy, he soon built for himself and his family a comfortable home, and soon became one of the leading agriculturists of the community.

      In 1862 Mr. Allen was married in Kansas



to Miss Helen M. Howard, daughter of H. M. and Isabell Howard, and to this congeial (sic) union have been born twelve children, upon whom they have bestowed the following names: Clara B., Edward S., Laura B., Arthur P., Ida M., Estella, Clark E., Albert H., Ernest H., Ethel, Leroy and Goldie I., all of whom are living. In politics Mr. Allen was formerly a Democrat, but has since joined the ranks of the Populist party. He has served as a member of the school board and in some of the other minor offices. 

Letter/label or barOSS P. ANDERSON, a resident of Seward, Nebraska, and one of the older lawyers of the county, has a professional standing not second to any attorney in this portion of the state. He is a master of legal tactics, and deeply versed in the most fundamental theories of the science and practice of law. He is a judicious counsellor, and a pleader of ability, and whether in the privacy of his office or before the court, be bears the interest of his client, and subordinates everything to that consideration.

      Mr. Anderson was born in Guernsey county, Ohio, May 4, 1854. His father, Andrew Anderson, was a native of Pennsylvania, and his mother, Mary Findley Anderson, of Ohio. The senior Anderson was a harness-maker, and moved to Ohio at an early day. He brought his family to Iowa in 1856, where his wife died the following year. He died in 1876. His father, the grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was a miller, and died in Ohio. Ross Anderson obtained his education in Iowa, and was a graduate of Simpson college, of Indianola, Iowa, in the class of 1877. He was a law student in the office of Bryan & Seevers at Indianola, Iowa, and under their instruction prepared for his admission to the bar. This occurred in 1879, and in the following year he opened an office for the practice of his profession in Seward. His success was immediate and pronounced, and he has never regretted his removal to this state. In the eighteen years in which he has practiced law in this county he has been associated with many important cases.

      Mr. Anderson was married September 6, 1883, to Miss Lydia A. Boyd, daughter of Rev. Joseph Boyd, of Washington, Iowa, She was born in Pennsylvania, and has long since taken her place in the society of Seward as a lady of diversified talents and kind instincts. She is the mother of two children, Elizabeth M., and Russell B., both of whom are living. They are members of the Congregational church. He is a member of several fraternal circles, and is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Modern Woodmen of America. He is a Republican, and was county attorney for eight years He has a good practice, which is growing every year, and is widely known as a well read, experienced and reliable lawyer. He was re-elected as county attorney at the November election, in 1898, and is now serving as such. 

Letter/label or barLBERT B. TAYLOR is a member of the law firm. of Harlan & Taylor and occupies quite a conspicuous position among the members of the bar in York county. He has become well-known, not only as a gentleman well vessed (sic) in law, but of fine education, mentally gifted and courteous, and who has been a potent factor in the political and legal life of York county.

      Mr. Taylor was born in Washington county, Iowa, April 14, 1856, a son of Thomas J. and Martha E. (Beard) Taylor, the father a native of Tennessee and the mother a native of Virginia. Thomas J. Taylor was a farmer by occupation, and came west in 1855 and settled in Iowa. In



1873 he moved from thence to Saline county, Nebraska, and later to York county. The mother died in 1890.

      Our subject was educated in the public schools of Washington county, Iowa, after which he learned telegraphy and followed that vocation for one year at Beatrice, Nebraska. He then made his home for a time in Saline county and taught school and read law. He was admitted to the bar in Saline county, Nebraska, in 1886, and at once went to Imperial, Nebraska, and was engaged in the practice of his profession at that place for nine years, and during that time served as city and county attorney. January 1, 1895, he moved to York, Nebraska, formed a partnership with Mr. Harlan and they have since practiced law in partnership in that city. In politics Mr. Taylor is a Republican and on that ticket was elected, in May, 1897, to the office of city attorney. Although he has been in York but a few years, he is fast becoming popular and is building up an extensive law practice and is recognized as one of the leading members of the York county bar. Thoroughly learned in law, always a student as well as a practitioner; with not only a quick but comprehensive mind, earnest in his convictions and able in his assertion of them; devoted to the interests entrusted to his keeping, he has few superiors as a well equipped practitioner, an able advocate and a thorough lawyer.

      Mr. Taylor was married in 1877 to Miss Mary Kortright, of Nebraska, and their home has been blessed by the presence of two daughters; Nellie B., and Grace M. Socially our subject affiliates with the Masonic fraternity and also the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He is a loyal citizen, and an earnest and enthusiastic supporter of everything which tends to develop and bring prosperity to the locality in which he lives. He has been especially interested in all matters pertaining to education and has contributed much of his time toward the advancement of such interests. He has been a member of various boards of education for more than fifteen years, and since locating in York has been a trustee of York college for two years. 

Letter/label or barORGAN PROBST, M. D., is one of the successful physicians of Fillmore county, and a prominent resident of Geneva. He has much natural abililty (sic), but is withal a close student and believes thoroughly (sic) in the maxim "there is no excellence without labor." His devotion to the duties of his profession, therefore, combined with a comprehensive understanding of the principles of the science of medicine, has made him a most successful and able practitioner (sic), whose prominence is well deserved.

      The Doctor was born in Pendleton county, West Virginia, on the first of May, 1850, his parents being Adam and Susan (Snyder) Probst, also natives of the same state. In 1853 the family removed to Scott county, Iowa, and in the spring of 1860 went to Taylor county, where the parents spent their remaining days. The subject of this review was a lad of ten summers at the time of the removal to Taylor county, and there under the parental roof he grew to manhood, acquiring his education in the graded schools of Taylor and Scott counties. From his boyhood he was deeply interested in the science of medicine and spent much time in physicians' offices. Determining to make its practice his life work, he pursued his preliminary professional studies in the office and under the direction of Dr. King, of Taylor county, Iowa, and in 1882 entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons, at Keokuk, Iowa, from which institution he was graduated in the spring of 1884. Soon afterward he located in Geneva, where he has succeeded in building up a large and lucrative practice. He is now one of the pen-



sion examiners of the city, and a member of the Fillmore county Medical Society.

      The Doctor was married October 8, 1871, to Miss Mary J. King, a native of Taylor county, Iowa, who was born, reared and married in the same house. Her parents are Isaac and Mary (Hawkins) King, the former a native of Delaware and the latter of Ohio and both pioneers of southwestern Iowa. Dr. Probst and his wife have three children,--Waldo E., Clyde A. and Carl V.; the last named now serving his country at Manila, as a member of Company C., First Nebraska Volunteers. The Doctor is a member of the Masonic and Knights of Pythias fraternities and his life exemplifies the benevolent teachings of those orders. In politics he is unwavering in support of the Democracy, and on that ticket was elected a member of the city council of Geneva, in which capacity he is now serving. 

Letter/label or barYMAN MILLER a prosperous farmer and old settler of Leroy township, was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, March 16, 1851, a son of Amos and Sarah (Thompson) Miller, a sketch of whom will appear on another page of this volume.

      When about three years of age, our subject moved with his parents to La Porte county, Indiana, and there attended school and helped his father on the farm. When about fifteen years of age he accompanied his parents to Marshall county, Iowa, and three years later moved to Iowa county, where the family lived one year. In 1870 the family settled in York county, Nebraska, and as soon as he attained his majority, our subject filed a homestead claim to eighty acres of land adjoining his father's claim, and has since made that his home. For two years after their settlement in Nebraska, the family was obliged to haul all their water, both for household use and also for their stock, from Blue river, three miles distant, and yet the first well in the entire community was sunk on the Miller homestead. The family first lived in a dugout, upon their settlement in York county, but this habitation soon gave place to a sod house, and immediately after taking his claim, our subject erected a sod house for his new home.

      Lyman Miller was married October 5, 1873, to Miss Alice Babcock, who was born in Dane county, Wisconsin, January 18, 1854, daughter of John J. and Sarah (Martin) Babcock, both natives of Vermont and early settlers of York county. Immediately after his marriage, Mr. Miller began housekeeping in his sod house. He had his full share of reverses, as the first year after his marriage his entire crop was destroyed by the grasshoppers, and he has often sustained loss from drouth, but he has persevered, and his large barn, furnished with good buildings, and the general appearance of his home bespeak the success that has attended his efforts. His farm now consists of two hundred and forty acres of land, and embraces his father's homestead, which he purchased from the heirs.

      Our subject has been a member of the county board of supervisors two terms, and in that capacity served on the building committee for the new court-house. He has served as assessor and also as director of the school district. In politics he is a Bryan Democrat. Socially he affiliates with the Masonic and Modern Woodmen lodges at York. Mr. and Mrs. Miller are the parents of a family of three children--Clifford E., Bertha L., and Georgie R. 

Letter/label or barOHN R. PIERSON.--"Earn thy reward; the gods give naught to sloth," said the sage, Epicharmus, and the truth of the admonition has been verified in human affairs in all the ages which have rolled their course since his day. The subject to




whose life history we now direct attention, has, by ceaseless toil and endeavor, attained a marked success in business affairs, has gained the respect and confidence of men, and is recognized as one of the distinctively representative citizens of York, Nebraska, where he is filling the responsible position of cashier in the City National Bank.

      He was born in Delaware county, New York, in 1858, and belongs to one of the old families of that state, where his people followed farming. To the public schools near his boyhood's home he is indebted for his educational privileges received in early life. Later he continued his studies in the Delaware Literary Institute, and on putting aside his text books he turned his attention to agricultural pursuits, which he followed until he had attained his majority. Thinking to benefit by the superior advantages offered young men in the west, he removed to Iowa, in 1879, taking up his residence in Charles City, where he successfully engaged in school-teaching for three years. He then entered the private bank of Matthews & Lyon, of Rockford with whom he remained three years, in which time he acquired a thorough understanding of the business, and became imbued with a desire to make it his life work. Subsequently he entered the First National Bank, at Watertown, South Dakota, in the position of bookkeeper, serving in that capacity for three years, on the expiration of which period he came to Nebraska. He has engaged in banking in Imperial, Stanton and Sterling, and in 1893 he came to York, where he assisted in the organization of the City National Bank, which had been a state bank, capitalized for twenty-five thousand dollars. The capital stock was increased to fifty thousand dollars, and the following officers were chosen: E. H. Brown, of Lincoln, Nebraska, president; D. S. Zimmerman, vice-president; and J. R. Pierson, cashier. Our subject has since held the office, and it is practically due to his management that the enterprise has been attended with success. This is the only national bank which was organized in Nebraska during the financial panic of 1893, but though it was established during "hard times," it has been attended with prosperity, its business constantly increasing as it has demonstrated its right to the public confidence and trust.

      In November, 1886, Mr. Pierson was united in marriage to Miss Alice Childs, then a resident of Iowa, and in York their circle of friends is almost co-extensive with the circle of acquaintances. Mr. Pierson is a valued member of the Knights of Pythias fraternity and of the Modern Woodmen of America. His political support is given the Democracy, but he has never held office, preferring to devote his time and energies to his business, in which he is meeting with signal success. All who know him esteem him for his inflexible integrity, his fidelity to duty and his sterling worth, and his name is engraved high on the roll of York's prominent and honored business men. 

Letter/label or barIELS BJERRUM, a well-known and prosperous farmer of Seward county, is one of the worthy citizens that Denmark has furnished to the new world, being born in that country, March 24, 1845. His parents, Jens and Johanna (Larson) Bjerrum, were farming people who spent their entire lives in Denmark. They had two sons, but our subject is the only one now living.

      Like most lads of his native land, Niels Bjerrum was reared and educated, and his training in farm work was not meager. It was in 1871 that he first came to the United States and took up his residence in La Salle county, Illinois, but subsequently removed to Grundy county, that state, and in 1879 we find him a resident of Seward county, Nebraska, where he bought a tract of railroad land south of Staplehurst. Upon his place he



erected a small house and began to break the land, but finally sold his farm and moved to Hamilton county, Nebraska, where he purchased property. Disposing of the latter farm in 1884, he returned to Denmark and took charge of the old homestead, which he operated for five years. Feeling convinced that he could do much better in America, he returned to this country and again came to Seward county, Nebraska, where he bought his present farm of one hundred and sixty acres, to the cultivation and improvement of which he has since devoted his energies with marked success. He is engaged exclusively in general farming and now has one of the most attractive homes in his community.

      In 1872, Mr. Bjerrum was united in marriage with Miss Mary Wedsted, also a native of Denmark, who came to America in 1871 and settled in Illinois. To them have been born six children, who are living, namely: Johanna, now Mrs. Swanson; John B.; Hannah; Louis; Annie and Leana, and one that is dead. They attend the English Lutheran church, are highly esteemed by all who know them, and Mr. Bjerrum is a supporter of the Democracy. He has filled some minor office and has ever proved a loyal citizen of his adopted country. 

Letter/label or barUDGE GEORGE OSTERHOUT, now interested in the business of real estate and loans in David City, Nebraska, was born in Albany county, New York, May 5, 1828. His father, Nicholas Osterhout, also a native of Albany county, New York, was by occupation a farmer, was in the war of 1812 a colonel in the militia and ranked second in the state at the time of his resignation. He died at the age of eighty odd years. His grandfather, George Osterhout, was born in New York, supposed to be in Albany. He had two brothers in the Revolutionary war. He lived to be ninety-three years of age. All of his paternal ancestors were long-lived. He was of Holland descent. The two brothers came from Holland and settled in New York at an early day.

      The mother of the subject of our sketch, Anna Warner, was born in Albany county, New York, and was reared there. Her death occurred there in the year 1828, at the time our subject was born. Her father, Peter Warner, was also a native of Albany county, New York, where he died aged ninety-five.

      Nicholas Osterhout was the father of fourteen children, six of whom were by his first marriage. George Osterhout was the youngest and on account of the death of his mother at his birth was reared by his father's parents, with whom he lived until he had attained the age of eighteen years. At about that age he went to Thorndyke, Massachusetts, where he was a layer and cutter of stone. He made this point his home for about ten years and in 1856 he came to Stephenson county, Illinois, where he was engaged in the lumber and stone business, as well as being a contractor for bridge work for the railroad, etc. He first came to Butler county, Nebraska, in 1870, and in 1872 he moved his family and located on a farm that he still owns on section 7, Franklin township, one mile north of David City. He made great improvements on this farm of one hundred and sixty acres.

      In 1879 he was elected county judge, and in 1881 was re-elected to the same office and moved to David City, where he has resided ever since and rents his farm. Was supervisor in Stephenson county, and held the same office in Butler county for several years. He was married September 12, 18 50, to Margaret Francis, who was of Scotch descent, coming to America when quite young, with her parents, and was reared in Newport, Rhode Island. In Hamp-



den county, Massachusetts, she was married to our subject. They were the parents of four children, one daughter and three sons: Agnes, wife of Geo. W. Becker, a lumber man of David City; Geo. W., a lumberman of David City; Frank M., also a lumberman of David City; and Earl H., a railroad man of Chicago, Illinois.

      The judge is one of the earliest settlers of Butler county. In 1884 he engaged in the business of real estate, loans and insurance, which business he still conducts. He is a stanch Republican, a member of the Masonic order, Fidelity Lodge No. 51, King David Chapter No. 31, is one of the trustees of the Congregational church and was a trustee of the Methodist Episcopal church many years before coming to Nebraska. He has been most successful in his career of whatever nature the undertaking may have been, is a most honored and highly esteemed member of the community in which he lives and a man who is destined to influence the lives of those with whom he comes in daily contact. 

Letter/label or barOTTLOB HOFER has through twenty-seven years been identified with the agricultural interest of York county, but now, after a long, active and honorable business career, he is living retired in the enjoyment of a rest which he has richly earned and truly deserves. He was born March 24, 1831, in Wurtemberg, Germany, and is a son of Ludwig and Catharine (Waltermut) Hofer, also natives of the same land, where the father carried on farming. He died during the early childhood of our subject, and the mother passed away in 1861.

      Reared to manhood in the land of his nativity, Gottlob Hofer acquired his education in the public schools and when fourteen years of age began learning the cabinetmaker's trade, at which he served a three years' apprenticeship. In order to complete his trade and become thoroughly competent in that line, he traveled, according to custom, and worked at his chosen occupation in Switzerland, France and Italy. In 1861 he came to the United States, landing in New York, whence he went direct to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. In that city, he secured work at his trade for a time, but as the war progressed business fell off and he could find nothing to do at cabinet-making. Accordingly he purchased a small farm in Washington county, Wisconsin, which he operated successfully until, disposing of his land, he turned his attention to general merchandising in Wisconsin, carrying on business there until February, 1871, when he sold out and came to York county, Nebraska.

      He was one of the first settlers of this county, and has since been an important factor in its development and progress. He first purchased one hundred and sixty acres of government land on section 2, township 10, and erected a frame residence, sixteen by twenty-eight feet, at that time the most pretentious and the only frame residence in the township. The rest were sod houses, and in the town of York there were only two buildings. Upon the farm which Mr. Hofer purchased was a half-sod and half dug-out place and twenty acres of land had been broken by its previous owner, a Mr. Pick, who had homesteaded the land and lived there one season, selling his interests and right, in 1871, to Mr. Hofer. The latter continued to live on the farm for seventeen years and brought it under a high state of cultivation. In 1881, he purchased the northwest quarter of section 2, Baker township, and in 1887 located on his new farm, since making it his home. Here, he has three hundred and twenty acres of valuable land, pleasantly and conveniently located within a half mile of the city limits of York. The fields are well tilled and all modern accessories and conveniences are



found on the place. In 1887 he erected his present brick residence, one of the finest homes in the county. In addition, he owns one hundred and sixty acres of land in Lockridge township, and another quarter section in Brown township, making six hundred and forty acres in all. This is now rented, while Mr. Hofer is living retired, in the enjoyment of the fruits of his former toil.

      He was married in Wisconsin, in 1865, to Catharine Klein, a native of Germany, who came to America in 1848, with her parents, Ben and Victoria (Beichler) Klein, who located first in New York, and two years later removed to Wisconsin, where they spent their remaining days. Mr. Hofer is a member of the Lutheran church, his wife of the Catholic church, and in politics he is a Democrat. His life has been a busy and useful one, and though he entered upon his business career with no capital save a strong determination to succeed, by resolute and unfaltering purpose, indefatigable labor, and great enterprise, he has overcome all obstacles and gained the prosperity which is the just reward of his efforts. 

Letter/label or barRANKLIN A. MARSH, M. D., enjoys the somewhat unique distinction of being the only homeopathic physician of Seward county, and though he is without professional assistance, he worthily sustains the good name of his school, and conciliates both by his personal character and healing skill. He has his home in the city of Seward, and responds to calls from a wide distance around, doing his best to cover the field.

      Dr. Marsh was born in Quincy, Illinois, September 14, 1856, was a son to Augustus C. and Hannah (Alvord) Marsh. His father was a native of Massachusetts, and was engaged in banking. At the time of his death in 1865 he was president of the First National Bank of Quincy, Illinois. He was a man of considerable financial ability, and left what was a very fair fortune in those days. He was the father of two sons.

      Dr. Marsh spent his childhood and youth in Quincy, and passed through the very excellent schools of that city. In 1881 he taught school in Mills county, Iowa, and was then engaged as a drug clerk for several years. About this time he began reading medicine, and in 1886 became a student in the homeopathic department of the Iowa State University. He took the full course and was graduated in 1889. He opened an office for the practice of his profession the year of his graduation, but in 1892 he came into this county and established himself at Seward, where he has secured a very flattering and profitable practice. He was married in 1877 to Miss Martha J. Ward, who was born and bred in Illinois. They have one daughter, Mabel A. He is a member of several of the fraternities that are established at Seward, principally, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Ancient Order of United Workmen, the Modern Woodmen of America, and the Royal Highlanders. He is a member of the State Homeopathic Society, and for a time was secretary of the Seward county Medical Society, and is now a member of the board of pension examiners. He is a Republican, but the only office he has ever been willing to accept was a membership of the board of education of the city of Seward. 

Letter/label or barHERON H. SEDGWICK, the well-known editor and proprietor of The York Times, was born in Bloomingdale, Ill., September 2, 1852, and is a son of Parker and Hepsebah (Goodwin) Sedgwick, of whom further mention is made in the sketch of Judge S. H. Sedgwick, on another page of this volume. Our subject completed his




literary education at Wheaton college, Wheaton, Ill., and later was a student for one year in the law department of the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor. During the years 1873 and 1874 he read law in Chicago, and on his admission to the bar at Oconto, Wisconsin, engaged in practice at DePere, that state, for some years. While a resident of that city he served as county superintendent of schools for Brown county, and filled other minor offices to the entire satisfaction of all concerned. On coming to York, Nebraska, he opened a law office here, but was soon forced to abandon his profession on account of losing the sight of his right eye. In the spring of 1880 he founded the Weekly Times, which is now the leading paper of the county, and in 1888 began the publication of the York Daily Times. In the same year he started the Nebraska Newspaper Union, which is one of the largest concerns of the kind in the west, supplying newspapers in seven different states, and handling a full line of printers' supplies. This plant is owned jointly by our subject and his brother, S. FT. Sedgwick.

      In 1874 Theron E. Sedgwick was united in marriage with Miss Adalaide Thurston, of Dupage county, Illinois, and they have become the parents of three children, one son and two daughters. Mr. Sedgwick has been recently appointed postmaster of York by President McKinley. The family is one of prominence in social circles, their friends and acquaintances being among the best people of the city. Since attaining his majority Mr. Sedgwick has been a stanch supporter of the Republican party, and his paper is the recognized Republican organ of the county. In 1894 and 1895 he served as secretary of the Republican state central committee; was secretary of the state senate in 1894 and 1895, and has also been a popular and efficient member of the city council of York. 

Letter/label or barRED GUBSER, who resides on section 30, Union township, Butler county, owns and operates a valuable farm whose neat and thrifty appearance well indicates his careful supervision. Substantial improvements are surrounded by well tilled fields, and many of the accessories and conveniences of a model farm are there found.

      Mr. Gubser is a native of Iowa, born in Davenport, May 19, 1856, and is a son of Anton Gubser, whose birth occurred in 1818, at Wallenstat, canton St. Gallen, Switzerland, whence he emigrated to America in 1843. In his native land he learned the stonemason's trade, which he continued to follow for a time after coming to this country and locating in Davenport, Iowa. In that city he was first married, but his wife being a consumptive, only lived a short time thereafter. His second union was with Catherine Rogge, a daughter of Gottfriedt Rogge, a Prussian by birth, and to them were born the following children: Fred, John, Genovefa, George F., Henry, Nicholas J., Mary M., Joseph, Louisa, Benjamin and William. Of these, Nicholas J. is a graduate of the Highland) Park Normal College, and is now professor of languages and economics at the Lincoln Normal School, Lincoln, Nebraska. John is a resident of Butler county.

     Early in life Fred Gubser removed with his parents to Atchinson county, Missouri, where he was reared upon a farm, early becoming familiar with all the duties which fall to the lot of the agriculturist. On the 1st of October, 1881, he led to the marriage altar Miss Rachael Woolsey, daughter of John and Amanda Woolsey, who removed to Missouri from Tennessee before the war, first settling in Caldwell county, where Mrs. Gubser was born, but removed to Atchinson county when she was a child. Our subject and his wife began their domestic life in that county, where they made their home for two years, and then came to their pres-

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller