NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



ler county, Missouri, which was also his destination, and he soon made arrangements to accompany them. By eleven o'clock of that day, he and his children were on their way to their new home, and they were among the first settlers of that locality, their nearest market at that time being Canton, on the Mississippi river, a distance of about sixty-five miles. Mr. Chattin bought two hundred and forty acres of government land at one dollar and twenty-five cents per acre, and began life in true pioneer style. At that time a spinning wheel could be found in every cabin, and shoes, clothing, etc., were all made by hand. The father prospered in his new home, and at the time of his death, which occurred in 1863, was the owner of over six hundred acres of valuable land. In his family were eight children, four sons and four daughters, of whom John was a sailor and was lost at sea at the age of twenty-two years. The others were Mary A., Edward, Sarah, deceased, Ann, Emma, Henry and William. The last two were soldiers of the Civil war, serving in Company C, Seventh Iowa Volunteer Infantry until the close of the war, and being with Sherman on the celebrated march to the sea. They participated in many hard-fought battles, re-enlisted as veterans, and were finally mustered out at Louisville, Kentucky.

     Edward Chattin was about fourteen years old when he came to America, and he remained with his father until the latter's death, when he came into possession of the old homestead in Missouri. In the fall of 1882 he sold his property in that state and came to York county, Nebraska, where he purchased land on the northeast quarter of section 18 Leroy township, on which he still continues to reside. His fine farm is pleasantly located within two miles of the city of York, and its neat and thrifty appearance testifies to the careful supervision and good business ability of the owner.

     On the 30th of November, 1868, Mr. Chattin was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Baker, a native of Taylor county, West Virginia. Her grandfather was a major in the war of 1812. Her parents, David and Elvina (Means) Baker, were natives of the Old Dominion and were among the pioneer settlers of York county, Nebraska, locating four miles west of York about the year 1870. The father died February 16, 1874, at the age of seventy-one years, the mother November 30, 1888, at the age of eighty-two years, honored and respected by all who knew them. Mr. and Mrs. Chattin have three children: John C., William H. and Clarence C.

     While a resident of Missouri Mr. Chattin served as postmaster at Cherry Grove, and since coming to York county has filled the office of school treasurer to the entire satisfaction of all concerned. He is a stanch Republican in politics, which party members of the family have always supported. His public spirit and unquestioned integrity have rendered him a desirable citizen of his adopted county, and he enjoys the respect and esteem of all who know him. 

Letter/label or barRANK A. LAMDIN, a well-known business man of Tamora, Seward county, is a man whose sound common sense and vigorous, able management of his affairs have been important factors in his success, and with his undoubted integrity of character have given him on honorable position among his fellow men. Although he is still interested in agricultural pursuits in precinct F. he makes his home in Tamora and gives the greater part of his attention to the buying of grain.

     Michigan claims him as a native son, his birth having occurred in Jackson county, that state, July 17, 1856. His parents are Arnold and Maria (Miller) Lamdin. The



father was a native of England, born near London, and when a child was brought to this country by his parents who settled at Pontiac, Michigan, where they died. In that state Arnold Lamdin was reared and educated, and after attaining to man's estate engaged in farming and hotel keeping there, his death occurring in Jackson county.

     Our subject, who was the only child of the family, pursued his studies in the schools of his native county, acquiring a fair education. When young he went to Wisconsin and for some time he worked in a cheese factory in Milwaukee, after which he conducted a store and engaged in farming in that state until November, 1888, when he came to Seward county, Nebraska. Locating at Tamora, he operated a farm near there for three years, and then commenced buying grain in connection with his agricultural pursuits, meeting with good success in both lines of business.

     While in Wisconsin, Mr. Lamdin was married, in 1877, to Miss Margaret Thomas, a native of that state and a daughter of Amos and Jane (McKay) Thomas, who were natives of Indiana and Scotland, respectively, and settled in Milwaukee county, Wisconsin, as early as 1838. Three children have been born of this union, all still living, namely: Joseph A., Frank A. and Margaret.

     In his social relations, Mr. Lamdin is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the Modern Woodmen of America, and the Woodmen of the World, and in political sentiment is an ardent Republican. He has never cared for official honors and has only served in the office of school treasurer, filling that position for seven years. 

Letter/label or barOSEPH E. HOOVER, a leading lawyer of Benedict, is now serving as justice of the peace of Morton township, York county, a position which he has filled for five years with credit to himself and satisfaction to his constituents. He is thoroughly impartial in meeting out justice, his opinions being unbiased by either fear or favor, and his fidelity to the trust reposed in him is above question. He is regarded as one of the leading and most highly respected citizens of Benedict, and it is, therefore, consistent that he be represented in a work whose province is the portrayal of the lives of the prominent men of this section of the state.

     Mr. Hoover was born in Tuscarawas county, Ohio, February 1, 1851, a son of Solomon and Elizabeth (Everett) Hoover, the former a native of Maryland, the latter of Ohio. It was in 1829 that the father removed to Ohio, where he at first engaged in blacksmithing and shoemaking, but later in life learned civil engineering, and for twenty years most capably served as county surveyor of Tuscarawas county. His death occurred in New Philadelphia, Ohio, at the age of sixty-five years and his wife died in the same state at the age of eighty-one. Their family consisted of four sons and one daughter.

     During his boyhood and youth Joseph E. Hoover obtained a good practical education in the schools of New Philadelphia, from which he graduated on the completion of the prescribed course. In 1870 he began the study of law under Judge Hance, of that place, and also took up engineering under his father's direction, but owing to ill health he was obliged to give up both. In 1875 he came to York county, Nebraska, and took up a timber claim on section 22, Morton township, planted his trees and improved the same. While thus employed he also engaged in teaching school and again took up the study of law. In 1877, when conducting a school in Polk county, he walked to the city of York, a distance of twenty miles, for the purpose of securing admission to the bar, but as the judge was



not there he became so disgusted that for time he gave up all thought of entering the legal profession. In 1894, however, he again took up his studies along that line, and the following year was admitted to the bar, since which time he has successfully engaged in practice in Benedict.

     Mr. Hoover was elected justice of the peace in 1893, and so acceptably did he fill the office that he has twice been re-elected. He has also served as assessor for six years and filled other minor offices. Politically, he is a Populist, and in 1894 at the convention of his party held at Grand Island, this state, he was York county's candidate for the nomination to the position of secretary of state--a fact which indicates his great popularity. Socially he affiliates with the Modern Woodmen of America. 

Letter/label or barOSIAH V. HOUSEL is one of the honored pioneers of Butler county, who has borne an important part in developing its wild lands into rich and fertile fields and thus contributing to the general advancement and progress of the locality. His life has been an honorable and upright one, commanding the respect and confidence of those with whom he has been brought in contact. His residence is situated on section 26, Franklin township, and the many improvements on his excellent farm indicate the enterprising and progressive spirit of the owner.

     Mr. Housel was born in Trumbull county, Ohio, April 20, 1839, and is of German lineage, the family having been founded in America by the great-grandfather of our subject, who emigrated from Germany in the eighteenth century. His son, Peter House], was born in Pennsylvania, and at a very early day removed to Ohio. He served his country in the war of 1812, and was a worthy and highly respected citizen. Anthony Housel, father of our subject, was born in Pennsylvania, and was reared in Ohio. In his youth he learned the tailor's trade, but during the greater part of his life followed agricultural pursuits. Having attained his majority, he married Margaret Fansler, who was born and reared in Trumbull county, Ohio, and was a daughter of David Fansler, who was born in Pennsylvania. By trade he was a carpenter, and in addition to that occupation he followed agricultural pursuits. His father was a native of Germany.

     Josiah V. Housel is the eldest in a family of eight children, all of whom reached years of maturity. The days of his boyhood and youth were passed in the county of his nativity, and his elementary education, acquired in the common schools, was supplemented by an attendance for two terms at the seminary in West Farmington, Trumbull county. In the fall of 1859 he accompanied his parents on their removal to Washington county, Iowa, and after the inauguration of the Civil war, in 1861, he loyally responded to his country's call for troops, enlisting in the Union service as a member of Company I, Thirteenth Iowa Veteran Volunteer Infantry. He was promoted to the position of corporal, with which rank he served for two years. He participated in the battles of Shiloh, Iuka, second battle of Corinth, the siege of Vicks-. burg, Holly Springs, the battle of Atlanta, and went with Sherman on the celebrated march to the sea. At the battle of Shiloh he was wounded, but after three weeks was again on active duty, and remained in the service until August, 1865, covering a period of almost four years. He received his discharge at Louisville, Kentucky, and with an honorable war record returned to his home in Washington county, Iowa.

     At the time when Mr. Housel re-enlisted as a veteran he received a thirty days' furlough, and during that time was married to Miss Harriet Romine, who was born in



Franklin county, Ohio, March 10, 1839, and is a daughter of Levi and Elizabeth (Taylor) Romine, who were natives of Baltimore, Maryland. They have now five living children: Mary E., wife of Nelson Allard, of Boone county, Nebraska; Newton A., of Valparaiso, Nebraska; Menzo O., of Lincoln, this state; Myrtie C. and Lillie B., at home. They also lost four children: Estella, who died at the age of seven years; Lewis F., who died at the age of five years; and two who died in infancy.

     After the war Mr. Housel carried on farming in Washington county, Iowa, until 1871, when he removed with his family to Butler county, Nebraska, waking a claim of one hundred and sixty acres of land, which he entered from the government. He hastily constructed a little cabin, twelve by sixteen feet, and began the improvement of his land, which he has transformed into an excellent farm. Upon the place he has five acres of timber planted by his own hand and an excellent orchard of one hundred and fifty trees, from which he gathered six hundred bushels of apples in 1897. He also raises the cereals best adapted to this climate and the well-tilled fields and substantial buildings upon the place indicate the thrift and enterprise of the owner, who is accounted one of the leading agriculturists of the county. When he arrived here his township contained only twenty-three voters, most of whom came at the time of his emigration.

     Mr. Housel is independent in his political views, supporting the men whom he thinks best qualified for office, regardless of party affiliations. His fellow citizens, appreciating his worth and ability, have called him to positions of public trust and for six years he was township assessor, was also census enumerator and for a long period was justice of the peace. He discharged his duties with marked impartiality and won the commendation of all fair-minded citizens. He holds membership in Abraham Lincoln Post, No. 10, G. A. R., of David City, and belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church there. His life has been one marked by fidelity to principle and by earnest support of all which he believes to be right, and in all business transactions his name is a synonym of honor. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM ELLIS, a representative farmer of York county, is pleasantly located on section 25, Leroy township, where he is maintaining his place among the progressive and intelligent men around him. A native of Ohio, he was born in Clinton county, May 30, 1836, and is a son of Joseph and Eliza (Stillings) Ellis, also natives of that state, where the father engaged in agricultural pursuits for many years. Late in life he came to York county, Nebraska, and died at the home of his son soon after locating here. The mother died in Ohio about twenty years ago.

     William Ellis is indebted to the public schools of his native state for his educational advantages, and his business training was obtained upon his father's farm. As a lifework he chose the pursuit to which he had been reared, and for several years operated rented land in Ohio. On coming west he first located in Missouri, where he spent three years, later was a resident of Otoe county, Nebraska, and in 1879 came to York county, where he purchased one hundred and sixty acres, on which he stilll (sic) resides. Adding to the original purchase he at one time owned the north half of section twenty-five, Leroy township, consisting of three hundred and twenty acres, but he has since disposed of a portion of this and now owns only the tract first purchased. The well tilled fields and neat and thrifty appearance of the place, testifies to his skillful management, and shows conclusively that he thoroughly understands his chosen voca-



tion. Politically he is an ardent Republican, and as a public-spirited, progressive citizen, he takes a commendable interest in public affairs.

     In 1860 Mr. Ellis led to the marriage altar Miss Caroline Barlow, who was born in Belmont county, Ohio, a daughter of Perry and Philena (Sherwood) Barlow, also natives of that state. The children born of this union are as follows: Frank L., Dora L., Nettie H., Allen N., Clyde and Ray H. The youngest son is now pursuing a course at Lincoln Business college. 

Letter/label or barOHN R. LAWYER.--Among the energetic and enterprising citizens of Seward county who have selected agriculture as their vocation in life and are meeting with excellent success in their chosen calling, is the subject of this biographical notice, whose fine farm is pleasantly situated in precinct F. He is a native of Illinois, born in McDonough county, December 1, 1852. His parents, Thomas and Catherine (Corner) Lawyer, were both born near Columbus, Ohio, while his paternal grandparents, John and Massa Lawyer, were natives of North Carolina and Ohio, respectively. The Lawyer family were pioneers of the Buckeye state, and there the great-grandfather of our subject was killed by the Indians at an early day. In 1833, Thomas Lawyer, our subject's father, accompanied his parents on their emigration from Ohio to Illinois and in the latter state he made his home until called from this life on the 14th of December, 1891, at the age of sixty-five years. The mother, however, is still living. In the family were seven children, five sons and two daughters.

     Reared in his native state, John R. Lawyer acquired his education in its district schools, and as soon as old enough to be of any assistance, he began, to aid in the farm work, soon becoming a thorough and systematic agriculturist. He continued his residence in Illinois until 1883, which year witnessed his arrival in Seward county, Nebraska, and in precinct F he has since successfully engaged in fanning. Before leaving Illinois he was married on the 20th of April, 1876, to Miss Matilda E. Skiles, also a native of that state, and a daughter of Charles F. and Mary (Reno) Skiles, and two children bless this union: Leither (sic) and Otis L.

     Socially, Mr. Lawyer belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America, and politically is a stanch Democrat. He has made many warm friends since coming to this state and has the confidence and respect of all with whom he comes in contact. 

Letter/label or barANIEL BROBST, deceased, was one of the leading farmers and stock raisers of Thayer township, York county. He was widely known and honored, and in his death the community, whose interests he had so much advanced by his enterprise, has lost a valuable citizen. His integrity of character, sterling worth, and never-failing courtesy, made him beloved by all who had the honor of his acquaintance.

     Mr. Brobst was born in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, June 2, 1835, a son of Christian C. and Catherine Brobst, who spent their entire lives in that county. By trade the father was a tailor, and made that occupation his life work. Our subject was reared and educated in the Keystone state, and during his youth learned the blacksmith's trade, which he continued to follow in Pennsylvania, until May, 1878. It was in that month that he came west and took up his residence in York county, Nebraska, buying a quarter section of land in Thayer township, on which his widow now resides. The tract at that time was entirely unimproved, and to its development and cultivation he devoted his energies untiringly until



it became one of the best farms in the locality.

     On the 28th of October, 1858, in Pennsylvania, was consummated the marriage of Mr. Brobst and Miss Elizabeth Miller, a daughter of John and Sarah Miller, natives of Pennsylvania, where they continued to make their home until called to the world beyond. The father followed the occupation of blacksmithing. The children born of this union are as follows: Sarah C., William F., Emma J., Andrew J., Samuel V., Lenora, George N. and Wesley H., all living, and Catherine C., deceased.

     Mr. Brobst used his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the Republican party, and was for some time an efficient member of the school board in his district. As a business man he met with a well deserved success, and his upright, honorable methods gained for him the confidence and respect of all with whom he came in contact. In religious belief he was a Lutheran, and his life was ever in harmony with the teachings of that church. His death occurred June 6, 1891. 

Letter/label or barAMES GRAY is one of the enterprising and reliable citizens of Polk county who has borne his part in the upbuilding and development of this region by the improvement of a fine farm on section 8, township 13, range 1. He is one of Ohio's honored sons, his birth occurring in Butler county, that state, December 24, 1854. His father, Richard Gray, was born in the same county, in 1815, and on reaching man's estate married Miss Mary Webb, who was born in Indiana, in 1813, a daughter of Rev. William Webb, a pioneer Baptist minister of the Hoosier state. The paternal grandparents of our subject, William and Mary (Hanna) Gray, were early settlers of Ohio, where the former died in 1833. From Butler county, Ohio, our subject's parents removed to Louisa county, Iowa, at a very early day, and later to Jefferson county, the same state, where from the wild land the father developed a good farm, making it his home until called to his final rest in 1896. The mother passed away many years previous, dying in 1863. She was a consistent member of the Baptist, and he held membership in the United Presbyterian church from the age of eighteen years. Their children were Mary, deceased; Anna; and James.

     The boyhood and youth of James Gray was principally passed in Iowa, where he also acquired his literary education and obtained a good knowledge of farm work in its various departments. On attaining his majority he started out to make his own way in the world, and for some time engaged in farming in Jefferson county, Iowa.

     On the 16th of March, 1876, Mr. Gray was united in marriage with Miss Zaluma Spencer, who was born July 3, 1853, in Washington county, Iowa, to which locality her parents, William and Lizala (Wilcox) Spencer, had removed from Vermont at an early day. Her mother died in 1888, and her father departed this life in 1895, Both were earnest and consistent members of the Methodist church. In their family were eleven children, namely: Mrs. Triphena De Hart, Jasper, Samantha, Elvira, Albert, Mrs. Rozelpha Gilson, William, and Mrs. Zaluma Gray, and three that died in infancy. Of these, Albert was a soldier of the Civil war. To Mr. and Mrs. Gray have been born four children: Maud, now deceased; Mabel L., Guy and Robert.

     It was in 1876 that Mr. Gray and his bride located upon their present farm in Polk county, Nebraska, on which a sod house had previously been erected and a few acres broken. Ten years later their primitive dwelling was replaced by their present comfortable home; and Mr. Gray has placed acre after acre of his land under the plow



until to-day he has one hundred acres under a high state of cultivation, leaving only twenty acres unimproved. Besides this valuable property, he owns a fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Deuel county, Nebraska, which place he has also improved. He is engaged in both farming and stock raising, making a specialty of a fine grade of hogs. His political support is always given the men and measures of the Democratic party, and in his social relations he is an honored member of the blue lodge of the Masonic order, at Osceola. He has been a member of the school board in district No. 30, and his sister, who is now serving as county superintendent of schools in Keith county, Nebraska, held the same position in Polk county for two years. Public spirited and progressive, he takes a deep interest in all enterprises calculated to advance the intellectual, moral, or material welfare of his township and county. 

Letter/label or barARKHURST SHURLOCK, who calls at Bradshaw post-office, York county, for his mail, is a man whose integrity, character and industry reflect credit upon the state, for he is one of a vast number who have given their best life into the work of making it rich and great. He is a farmer, and in the tilling of the soil, the smell of the newly turned furrow, and the odor of the new made hay, the song of the birds, and the contact with nature, he has found the happiness and glory of life. He has done well, and in his old age holds a warm place in the hearts of many friends.

     Mr. Shurlock was born in Lawrence county, Pennsylvania, December 16, 1836, and belongs to a family that has long been distinguished in English annals. The Rev. William Shurlock, an English bishop, was among his progenitors. His grandfather was a captain in the British army, and was under Lord Cornwallis at Yorktown. He re turned to England and died in that country. Samuel Shurlock, the father of the subject of this biographical history, was born in Devonshire, England, June 9, 1796, and was a well educated man. He taught school in the United States when he was a young man. He was with General William Henry Harrison in his celebrated expedition into the northwest. After teaching some years he purchased a farm in what was then known as Beaver county, Pennsylvania, and settled down to farming, and made his home there until his death in 1887. His wife was Elizabeth Stinson, who was born in Ireland, and died in 1840 on the Beaver county farm.

     Parkhurst Shurlock lived with his father until he was twenty-two years old, and then he penetrated into the wilderness of what was then called the west, and spent a year in the Scioto valley. He came to Pennsylvania, to work in the Wampum coal mines, where he was when the war broke out. He enlisted in Company D, One Hundredth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, known as the Roundhead regiment. He enlisted in 1861, and in 1864 was made corporal, and then sergeant. He took part in the following battles with his regiment: Port Royal Ferry, Port Royal, James Island, Bull Run, Chantilly, South Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Vicksburg, Blue Springs, Campbell Station, siege of Knoxville, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House, North Anna river, Cold Harbor and Petersburg, the mine explosion before that city, Weldon Railroad, Poplar Grove, Hatcher's Run, Fort Stedman, and the final assault on Petersburg, and many other engagements that did not rise to the dignity of battles. He was wounded in the side while acting as a sharpshooter before Petersburg, but lost only two weeks in the hospital, and never was sent to a hospital again during his services. At Cold Harbor he had his Enfield rifle cut in two by a ball, which



drove it out of his hands. He served three years and eight months, and was honorably discharged at Harrisburg.

     When he had become somewhat wonted to the ways of peace he took a trip through Iowa, Kansas and Nebraska in the spring of 1866, and was married the following year to Miss Elizabeth Miller, a daughter of Aaron and Eliza Miller. They were residents of Beaver county, and immigrants from Germany. Her great uncle was in the Revolutionary army, and did his part in obtaining the freedom of the colonies. She had four brothers in the Union army, two of whom were killed. Samuel Miller was captain of Company K, Pennsylvania Reserves, and was killed at Cold Harbor, and Robert Miller was killed near Winchester in the Shenandoah valley. A brother-in-law, William Graham, was in the army and died in the army from disease. Another brother-in-law, Richard L. Hudson, was honorably discharged, and died on the Puget Sound.

     Mr. and Mrs. Shurlock made their home for five years on their Pennsylvania farm, and came to this state April 6, 1872. They entered a claim to the southeast quarter of section 20, township 10, range 4 west, and commenced in earnest to open a raw prairie farm, which they have so well succeeded in doing. They lived and labored on this farm for eighteen years, when they sold the homestead and purchased other land at a less price. He now owns one hundred and sixty acres, clear of all encumbrances. He has a fine dwelling in the village of Bradshaw, which has been his home for thirteen years, during that time. He has been a man of strict business habits, and no man has ever held his note. He is the father of two children, Carrie D., who is now married to Samuel Morrison, and William Charles, who was married to Miss Laura Miller.

     Mr. Shurlock is a supporter of bi-metallism in politics, and is a strong supporter of the Democratic party. He does not vote for partisan considerations but for principles and men. Neither he nor his wife is connected with any secret order, but she belongs to the Presbyterian church. They keep up with the events of the times, enjoy friends and neighbors. 

Letter/label or barOHN A. DURLAND, one of the first settlers on the Blue river between Staplehurst and Ulysses, resides on section thirty-five, precinct C, Seward county, where he is actively and prosperously engaged in agricultural pursuits. The present flourishing condition of this section of the state, with its splendid farms, many comfortable dwellings, fine churches and substantial school buildings, a monument to the perseverance and labors of the brave men who, like our subject, patiently endured the trials of pioneer life that they might develop the wonderful and varied resources of this region, and make for themselves and their children a pleasant home in this fruitful and and goodly land.

     Mr. Durland was born in New Jersey,. October 23, 1839, a son of John M. and Sarah (Wolf) Durland, also natives of New Jersey. The father, who was a miller by trade, moved to Illinois in 1841 and settled in Fulton county, where he followed milling until his death in 1855. He had three sons,. our subject being the only one to locate in Nebraska. He was reared and educated in Illinois, and assisted his father in the mill until the latter died. He then turned his attention to farming and followed that pursuit in Illinois until 1864. The next year we find him en route for Nebraska, and on his arrival in Seward county, he took up a homestead on section 35, precinct C, where he still resides. He was the first white settler in that locality, but Indians were numerous, and wolves and other wild animals held full sway. The log house he erected



is still standing near his present fine home, and the wild, uncultivated land he soon transformed into a valuable and productive farm. He has successfully engaged in general farming and stock raising, and now owns four hundred acres of good land, all improved. He has not only gained a good home and comfortable competence, but has secured the respect and confidence of all with whom he has come in contact by his honorable and blameless life.

     In 1859, in Fulton county, Illinois, Mr. Durland was united in marriage with Miss Lucy J. Roberts, a daughter of John Roberts, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this work. Their family comprises five children:--three sons and two daughters living namely: George B., Samuel C., Albert E., and Rosie B., now the wife of Philip Merritt, and Lillian E.--and two dead Susan A. and Charles A. The parents are earnest and consistent members of the Christian church and the family is prominent in social circles. Mr. Durland is a Democrat in politics but at local elections votes for the best man regardless of party ties, and has creditably filled the office of township assessor. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM C. EMERY.--The deserved reward of a well-spent life is an honored retirement from business, in which to enjoy the fruits of former toil. To-day, after a useful and beneficial career, Mr. Emery is quietly living at his pleasant home in Garrison, Butler county, surrounded by the comfort that earnest labor has brought to him. For many years he was identified with the agricultural and commercial interests of the county, but has now laid aside all business cares.

     Like many of the best citizens of this state, Mr. Emery is a native of Pennsylvania, born in Butler county, March 12, 1832. His father, William Emery, Sr., was born in the eastern part of that state about 1792, and during his youth removed to Butler county, where he served as a minute man in the war of 1812. There, he met and married Miss Lydia Harlan, and of the eight children born to them, our subject is the seventh in order of birth and the third son, the others being as follows: Anna, Mary, David, Silas, Rebecca, Lydia, and John B. The four oldest are now deceased, while Rebecca is now the wife of James B. Marshall, of Garrison, Nebraska; Mrs. Lydia Morrison is a resident of Indiana; and John B. makes his home in Ohio.

     In his native county, William C. Emery, of this sketch, grew to manhood and was married, January 22, 1857, to Miss Mahala Boston, daughter of George and Nancy Boston, of Butler county, Pennsylvania. There two children were born to our subject and his wife: Mary E., now the wife of M. G. Haynes, of Union township, Butler county, Nebraska, by whom she has five children, Lillian, Charles, Georgie, Ethner and Leina; and John W., who married Miss Lizzie Ward, an English lady, and has four children, Ward Covert, Fannie, Mahala and William.

     After his marriage, Mr. Emery engaged in farming near Greenville, Pennsylvania, until he laid aside all personal interests to aid his country in defense of the Union during the dark days of the Civil war, enlisting in Company D, One Hundred and Sixty-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, which was assigned to the Army of the Potomac. When his term of service expired he was honorably discharged and returned home. In company with two of his old army comrades--J. S. Marshall and A. H. Coon--Mr. Emery came to Nebraska in the spring of 1871 and first located on a farm on section 24, Union township, Butler county. He continued to engage in agricultural pursuits until the fall of 1882 when he moved to the village of Garrison, and in company



with J. S. Marshall embarked in general merchandising under the firm name of Marshall & Emery. Four years later the firm was changed to Emery & Howser by the retirement of Mr. Marshall, and in the fall of 1887 Mr. Emery purchased his partner's interest, making the firm Emery & Son. He has since sold his interest to the junior member, and now lives retired. His residence, which was the second erected in the town, has been enlarged and remodeled by him, converting it into a most comfortable home. Besides this, he is still the owner of extensive and valuable farming property.

     Politically, Mr. Emery has always been identified with the Republican party since its organization, and fraternally he affiliates with A. Lincoln post, No. 10, G. A. R. He has been a prominent factor in the growth and development of his adopted county, is invariably numbered among its valued citizens, and on the roll of its honored pioneers his name should be among the foremost. 

Letter/label or barRS. JULIA BICK, of Brown township, York county, Nebraska, has been for twenty years or more a resident of the state, and in that period has made many friends by her womanly qualities. She has kept a good home, has proved a kind mother, and her door has been invitingly open.

     Mrs. Bick was born January 3, 1837, at Steubensville, Ohio, and is a daughter of Henry and Louisa Albrecht. Her parents moved to Iowa City, Iowa, not many years after her birth, and there she was very well educated, and there she was married when seventeen years old. She remained on the farm with her husband for a number of years, but concluded it best to remove to Missouri in the fall of 1865, where they bought a farm in Lewis county. They remained in that state six years, but the climate did not prove congenial, and Mr. Bick sold out and returned to Iowa, where he rented a farm, which he tilled for seven years. About this time stories of the great possibilities of the Nebraska farming country began to disturb the peace of renters and small farmers east of the Missouri. Mr. Bick listened, and was convinced. Nebraska was the haven of desire, and he made his way to York, arriving there in the fall of 1877. He had a brother already established on a farm fourteen miles north of the city, and to him the home seeker repaired. Mr. Bick made a homestead entry on the north half of the northeast quarter of section 22, township 10, range 4 west, and immediately proceeded to open up his new farm. He built a frame house, and made substantial improvements. He was disappointed, however, in the hope that his removal west of the Missouri river would restore his health, which had been much impaired by his stay in Missouri. He continued, however, in spite of ill health, to till his little farm, and care for his family, and give his children such opportunities for education as the new country might afford. For many years somewhat frail and delicate, he yet attained a very considerable age, and died January 27, 1897, when he was in sight of his seventy-first birthday. He left all his property, both real and personal, to his life-long companion and helpmeet, Mrs. Julia Bick, who had indeed proved herself worthy of such trust and honor. He was a Republican, and with his wife was associated with the Methodist Episcopal church, of which they most worthy and acceptable members. They have never been members of any secret society, feeling that home and church and school afforded a wide field for the exercise of the highest and finest emotions. He was born in Germany about 1824, and came to Ohio with his father's people when about the age of fourteen years.

     Mr. and Mrs. Bick have had nine chil-

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller