NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



and took up his residence in Brooklyn, New York, where he worked at his trade. ln Brooklyn he met and married Fredericka Holloch, also a native of Germany, born there in 1830. Her parents both died, and she came to America at the age of fourteen to join her brother Christian. After his marriage, Charles H. Wullbrandt removed to Lasalle county, Illinois, in 1856. For a couple of years he worked on a farm for wages, then rented land, and successfully conducted farming for himself. In the fall of 1869 he removed to York county, Nebraska, where he homesteaded eighty acres of land and pre-empted another tract of like extent. This land comprised the southwest quarter of section 14, McFadden township. He was among the earliest settlers and like many others, at that time, was poor, having only a team and household effects. At first their residence was a combination of log house and dug-out. Many years of hardships were endured, but by hard work and intelligent economy he finally overcame all obstacles and is now one of the wealthiest farmers in York county. His holdings in land aggregate seven hundred and twenty acres, all in McFadden township. For many years he was one of the most prominent men in that section of the state. He assisted in the organization of the township, and of school district No. 2, the second district organized in the county, and helped to build its school-house, the second in the county. It was a log-cabin structure, which has long since disappeared, having been destroyed by fire many years ago. Mr. Wullbrandt also served as a member of the county board of supervisors three years, and held a number of township and local offices. He and his wife now live in retirement in the village of Exeter; and perhaps none in York county could give a better account of its early history.

      When our subject, Charles C. Wullbrandt, went with his parents to York county he was but fourteen years old. The family consisted of five sons and two daughters, of which our subject is the eldest. He attended the log-cabin school in district No. 2, and worked on the farm by the month, almost from the time of their first settlement in the county until he reached his majority. He then located on a farm of his own, comprising the southeast quarter of section 23, McFadden township. At the time it had only forty acres broken. He improved it and added to it until he now owns four hundred acres, all in a body, three hundred acres of which are under cultivation, and the balance devoted to pasture and meadow. His residence is now situated on section 24.

      Charles C. Wullbrandt was married February 2, 1882, to Laura Mann, a native of Illinois, and daughter of William and Mena (Dunker) Mann. Mrs. Wullbrandt's father was a native of Pennsylvania, and her mother a native of Germany. They were among the earliest pioneers of York county, having located there in 1869.

      Mr. and Mrs. Wullbrandt are the parents of five children, named as follows: Eva L.; Eddie A. and Harry A., twins; Henry C., and Ralph R. The family attend the Bethel United Brethren church, of which the parents are members. Mr. Wullbrandt also holds membership in the A. O. U. W. and the M. W. A. at McCool Junction. 

Letter/label or barAMUEL T. MAPPS holds an honorable place among the pioneers of Lockridge township, and has seen the settlement of York county almost from the beginning. He owns a productive and well kept farm, and sustains a high reputation for business honor and personal rectitude.

       Mr. Mapps was born September 29, 1851, in Will county, Illinois, and is the oldest son of William and Elizabeth (Ken-




drick) Mapps. His father was a cooper by trade, and followed that occupation through the greater part of his life. He settled in Illinois in 1845 and lived there until 1889, when he moved to this county. Samuel Mapps received his schooling in his native county, and became a farmer. He is a tiller of the soil by choice. He loves the heart of nature, and believes in coming close to mother earth. In 1882 he purchased a quarter section of Lockridge township, and immediately entered upon its cultivation. From that date he has been associated with all the affairs of this county. The land was unbroken prairie when it came into his possession, and by unflagging industry he has brought it up to a great fertility. He is a Populist, and has been township assessor three years, and served one term as a member of the county board of supervisors. He was nominated for county treasurer in 1896, and though he made a gallant fight, fell short of election. As a testimonial of his ability and popularity as a citizen he was recently nominated by his party to represent York county in the state legislature. He has been twice married the first time in 1872, to Miss Sarah Mills. She died, leaving him one child. He was again married in 1888 to Miss Flora Thamer, whose home was in this township. They have three children, Howard H., Ralph H. and Hattie H. He is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and is generally recognized as one of the leading men of the county. 

Letter/label or barAINT MARY'S CATHOLIC CHURCH, Luxemburg Settlement, Butler county, Rev. Carl Stapf, priest. Between July 3, 1869, and the year 1873, the following parties settled in the vicinity of the present site of the above-named church: P. N. Meysenburg, Mike Demuth, Jac Demuth, John Marx, John Sprung, John Meysenburg, M. M. Meysenburg, Bernard Schlentz, John Birkel, Peter Medinger, Nic Steiner, Frank Steiner, P. Birkel, Nic Reisdorf, P. Demuth, John Gills and John Frieden.

      On April 16, 1874, at the request of the above named settlers, Rev. Uhing, pastor of West Point, celebrated mass for the first time in the settlement, and almost the whole community received the sacrament of penance and holy communion, and six children were baptized. May 18, 1874, Father Bernard first visited the mission and for nearly three years he made regular visits, except during the winter months. November 21, 1876, Father Bernard exhorted the people to build a church, as they had prior to that date held services at the residence of P. N. Meysenburg. In accordance with the wishes of Father Bernard the little society set to work and the following subscriptions were made: Nic Steiner, forty dollars; Frank Steiner, twenty-five dollars; M. Demuth, twenty-five dollars; P. Medinger, twenty-five dollars; Nic Reisdorf, twenty-five dollars; John Frieden, twenty-five dollars; M. M. Meysenburg, twenty-five dollars; P. M. Meysenburg, fifty dollars; Jac Demuth, twenty-five dollars; John Meysenburg, twenty-five dollars; P. Demuth, ten dollars; John Steiner, ten dollars; John Marx, twenty-six dollars and seventy-five cents; John Birkel, twenty-five dollars; B. Schlentz, thirty dollars; P. Birkel, twenty-five dollars; John Gills, two dollars; John Kosch, Sr., five dollars; J. A. Reed and J. Richardson, twenty dollars; and S. W. Watson, five dollars. There was then a committee appointed for the purpose of collecting the money subscribed, viz: Mike Demuth, president; Nic Steiner, treasurer; and John Meysenburg, secretary. Also a building committee: John Bernard, Nic Meysenburg, Sr., Mike Demuth, B. Schlentz and Frank Steiner, of whom the first two named were president and vice-president, respectively. This committee selected for



a location for the new church building, a two-acre strip of land which was deeded by John Meysenburg to the Rt. Rev. James O'Conner, Roman Catholic Bishop of Omaha, and to his successors for the use of the Catholics of Savannah township, Platte Valley, and vicinity, on the conditions that if the church should ever be removed the property should revert to the grantor of the deed or his heirs. On November 1, 1877, a subscription was taken up to the amount of ninety-two dollars and fifty cents for plastering the church, and on November 25, 1878, the new church was dedicated under the title: Presentation B. V. M., by the Rt. Rev. James O'Connor, Vicar Apostolic of Nebraska.

      The priests who have had charge of this mission are as follows: Religious--P. Ambrosius O. S. F., P. Anselmus O. S. F. Sr., P. Sebastanus O. S. F. Sr., P. Johannes O. S. F., all of whom were from the Franciscan Convent, at Columbus, Nebraska. The resident pastors--P. Cyrillus O. S. F., P. Seraphin O. S. F. and P. Bonifacius O. S. F. After the last-named priest severed his connection with the society, the church was presided over for several months from David City, by Rev. Reindorff, until he was taken sick and was removed to Columbus hospital, and again the Franciscans from Columbus took charge, in 1883, and P. Bonifacius O. S. F. presided. Secular Priests--In 1883, the church was given a resident pastor, Rev. Muller from 1883 to 1887, Rev. N. Stoltz from 1887 to 1888, and during the last-named year the Luxemburg had two more pastors, Revs. F. Schraffl and J. P. Bayer. In the beginning of the year 1889, J. H. Hansen was appointed and had charge until 1892, and was then succeeded by Rev. Felix Bronnenkant, who served from 1892 until 1895. In July, 1895, J. T. Reinhard was appointed, but was succeeded in November of the same year by Rev. Carl Stapf.

      Building of the New Saint Mary's church. After his arrival at the Luxemburg Mission, February 14, 1891, Rev. J. H. Hansen made an effort to build a new church. The subscription was taken by himself and P. N. Meysenburg to the amount of four thousand one hundred and thirty dollars. On July 28, 1889, the corner-stone of the New Saint Mary's church was laid, and the collection taken on that occasion amounted to seventy-seven dollars fifty cents. The building committee consisted of the following members: Nic Steiner, Treas.; John Frieden, Mike Demuth, P. Birkel, P. Medinger, John Kosch, P. N. Meysenburg and Nic Reisdorf. On February 2, 1890, services were held for the first time in the new church, and on the evening of the same day the building was entirely destroyed by fire, and again the old church was used for holding services. Steps were taken to rebuild the destroyed church and a meeting was called on April 13, 1890, at the old church for that purpose. The congregation elected as members of this committee: Nic Steiner, treasurer, John Morbach and Frank Steiner; and the pastor, J. H. Hanson, appointed, as the church trustees, P. N. Meysenburg and John Frieden. The contributions of the congregation were liberal and the pastor and committees were not only able to rebuild the church, but also to buy the sacred vessels and vestments for the sacred functions. The second new church was dedicated in 1891 by Rt. Rev. Thomas Bonacum, bishop of Lincoln.

      The present priest of Saint Mary's church, Rev. Carl Stapf, was born in Baden, Germany, in the year 1872. He was educated in the University of Louvain, Belgium, where he was ordained in 1895. He still lacked thirteen months of the required age of twenty-four years, but gained permission from Rome to take orders underage. He selected the diocese of Lincoln and came directly to Butler county, where he was



given charge of the Saint Mary's church of the Luxemburg settlement, in Savannah township. 

Letter/label or barDWARD C. BIGGS has been engaged in the practice of law for some years at Seward, Nebraska, and his career illustrates the value of clear and definite aims in life, and the concentration of energy upon their accomplishment. He is a lawyer, and to the law he has given all his power, and to say that he stands well before the court and the public as a reliable and well furnished practitioner, is to state the simple truth. He is still a young man, and his friends are certain that if he keeps his health large things are before him in the future.

      Mr. Biggs was born in Webster City, Iowa, July 10, 1863, and was a child of Clinton E. and Mary A. (Maxwell) Biggs. They came from Maryland and Virginia, and the husband and father was killed in the Civil war, when he was only twenty-one years of age He was in the Second Iowa Volunteer Cavalry, and his young life was but one of a vast number of the brave and true that were paid as the price of the safety of the Republic. The young and fatherless lad grew up in Webster City, where his education was begun in the public school. He attended an academy at Dixon, Illinois, and the State Agricultural college at Ames. He selected the law as his life work, and took a two years course in the law department of the State University at Iowa City, graduating with the class of 1888. He was a good student, and completed the required studies with credit. He made his way directly to this county, and immediately began the practice of his profession at Seward. He formed a partnership with H. P, Smith, under the firm name of Smith & Biggs, which continued for two years. The firm of Biggs & Thomas then came into existence, which lasted until the election of Mr. Thomas to the county bench in 1898. At present Mr. Biggs is carrying on his practice alone. Edward C. Biggs and Miss Nellie S. Startsman were united in marriage in 1890, and though the union has proved a fortunate one, the home is as yet devoid of the presence of little children. He has pleasant social and fraternal relations, and his face is often seen in mystic regions. He is a Mason of approved standing, and is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knignts (sic) of Pythias, and his is a welcome presence at any of these fraternal gatherings. He is a stanch Democrat, and was a delegate to the national convention of 1896. He is a leader of the party in this county, and his voice is often heard on the hustings. 

Letter/label or barHILIP B. HUFF.--The agricultural community of Lockridge township, York county, Nebraska, has a worthy representative in the person of the gentleman whose name heads this sketch. He resides on section 23 of the above-named township, and is well known and popular throughout the entire county. He was born in Tuscarawas county, Ohio, July 18, 1845.

      The grandfather of our subject, Charles Huff, served in the Napoleonic wars, during which the entire company of which he was a member was annihiliated (sic), he being the only one to escape. The saber which he used is now a family relic and belongs to our subject. The parents of the gentleman of whom this biography is written are Jacob and Catherine (Bamer) Huff, both natives of Germany, who emigrated to the United States in 1836. The father was born in 1815, and came to the United States to avoid serving in the German army, which every subject of the kaiser is obliged to do. He was a farmer by occupation, and upon his arrival in this country he first



settled in Ohio. From there he removed to Marshall county, Indiana, where he died in the seventy-eighth year of his life. He was the father of ten children, three sons and seven daughters.

      Philip B. Huff was the fourth child in order of birth of a family of ten children. He was educated in the common schools, in both English and German branches of study. He followed the occupation of a farmer until he had attained the age of twenty-one. He then secured a position in a sawmill, where he remained for the next seven years, after which he resumed his occupation of farming, which he followed for the following six years. In 1880 he came to York county, Nebraska, and purchased a farm which he now owns. The farm consists of three hundred and twenty acres of excellent land, which he has brought to a high state of cultivation, and is now the happy possessor of one of the best improved farms in the county. He has followed general farming exclusively since his arrival in the county, and has had unparalleled success in the pursuit of his chosen vocation.

      The marriage ceremony of our subject was celebrated January 3, 1868, in Marshall county, Indiana, the bride being Sophia Miller, a native of Ohio, and a daughter of Gideon Miller. To this happy union have been born nine children, on whom they have bestowed the following names: Emma Matilda, Wilbur G., John H., Charles E., Jacob E., Frank H., Philip G., Claud W., and Verna C. all of whom are still living. The family are all members in good standing of the United Brethren church, at which they are regular attendants. Mr. Huff is a Populist in his political life, but has never sought any office. Socially he is a member of the Ancient Order United Workman, and he is well known and highly respected throughout the entire county, where he has a host of friends and acquaintances. 

Letter/label or barOHN ROBBINS is a well-known and substantial citizen of York county, who is now directing his attention to the cultivation of his fine farm on section 30, Stewart township. He is one of the prominent, self-made men of the community--a man honored, respected and esteemed wherever known, and most of all where he is best known.

      Mr. Robbins was born in Jay county, Indiana, February 12, 1844, a son of Randolph and Mary Jane (Hewitt) Robbins, natives of New Jersey and Ohio, respectively. As early as 1840 the father located in Jay county, Indiana, where he cleared and improved a farm of one hundred and sixty acres, but subsequently he returned to Springboro, Ohio, where he conducted a shoe-shop for four years. The following two years he spent in Putnam county, Illinois, then lived in Mason county, that state, for five years, and two years in Jacksonville, Illinois. His next home was in Butler county, Kansas, where his death occurred in April, 1897. Both in Indiana and Ohio he served as a member of a light horse company in the militia. His wife died at the early age of thirty-three years, and three of their seven children are also deceased. Those living are Rhoda, John, Amos and Oella.

      Our subject spent the greater part of his boyhood and youth in Illinois, and he early became familiar with agricultural pursuits, but his literary training was very limited, as he only attended school about six months. He remained at home until twenty-two years of age, and was married, in 1866, to Miss L. J. Ragan, native of Ohio, and a daughter of C. C. Ragan, who died in Seward, Nebraska. Eleven children bless this union, as follows: Herman B., Collin R., Voorheis B., Burkby A., Weldon R., Dottie E. and Lavilda B., and four who are dead.

      For two years after his marriage, Mr.



Robbins lived on his father's farm in Mason county, Illinois, but in 1869 came to York county, Nebraska, and located upon his present homestead. For three months he lived in his wagon box while putting up a pole house and breaking prairie. For his mail he had to go to Seward, a distance of twenty-four miles, while his nearest market was Nebraska City, where corn sold at one dollar per bushel. Bacon was worth thirty cents per pound at Lincoln. In 1870 he sowed seven acres of oats and alike amount of wheat and corn. While breaking his land he sowed the corn in every third furrow, and in this way raised a good crop. From his seven-acre patches he raised two hundred and eighty bushels of corn, sixteen bushels of wheat, and one hundred and forty bushels of oats, and also raised thirty bushels of potatoes along the creek. In the fall of 1870 he replaced his pole house, daubed with mud, by a dug-out, in which he lived for one year and then built a double log house with a clay floor. Three years later a small frame house was built, and in 1896 his present comfortable and commodious residence was erected. He now owns eight hundred and eighty acres of valuable land, of which three hundred and sixty are under excellent cultivation, and upon his land are three sets of farm buildings. In January, 1892, he removed to the city of York, where he was engaged in the grain business until his return to the farm in 1895, since which time he has given special attention to the raising of wheat.

      Since coming to Nebraska, Mr. Robbins has been an important factor in the growth and upbuilding of this region, and is to-day numbered among its most honored and useful citizens. He assisted in organizing both his township and county, and has been a most efficient member of the school board since the district was organized with the exception of three years. He has also filled the offices of road overseer and treasurer of Stewart township to the entire satisfaction of all concerned. In his political sentiment he is a stanch Republican. 

Letter/label or bar. N. MEYSENBURG, one of the earliest of the Luxemburg settlers, whose home is now in section 35, Savannah township, Butler county, first located on section 30, township 16, range 3, July 3, 1869.

      Mr. Meysenburg was born in Luxemburg, Germany, December 11, 1838, a son of Nicholas Meysenburg, and the first twenty-five years of his life were spent in his native country. He left the old country April 29, 1863, and came to New York, and without stopping in that city moved directly to and settled in Cascade, Iowa, and made that his home until 1869. Here he was married, January 19, 1869, and shortly after started, with his wife, father, brother and sister, on a prospecting tour through Kansas and Nebraska. Upon reaching the Platte valley, July 3, 1869, he decided to locate there and lost no time in preparing a habitation and notifying his friends of the location of his new home, and many of them joined him later. In the following August he was joined by Jacob and Michael Demuth, who also moved to this locality from Cascade. They met Mr. Meysenburg on the prairie not far from his claim. Our subject bought his first farm for two dollars and fifty cents per acre, but he is now the proprietor of one thousand and six hundred acres of land that will compare favorably in value and fertility to the best in Butler county. Mr. Meysenburg is one of the substantial and leading members of the Catholic church in that community. He was one of the potent factors in the organization of a society in the township, first as a Franciscan mission and later as a charge of a secular priest, as will be seen in the sketch of Rev. Carl Stapf, on another page of this volume. His contributions, both for church



erection and the support of the society, have always headed the list and he has always wielded a powerful influence throughout the valley. For several years before the church was built, mass was celebrated in Mr. Meysenburg's home.

      Mrs. Meysenburg, who bore the maiden name of Miss Mary B. Dehner, is a sister of John Dehner, now of Bone Creek township, Butler county. To this union have been born six children, now living, upon whom they have bestowed the following names: John, Annie, Margaret, Carrie, Henry and Stephen, and five died in infancy. 

Letter/label or barOHN N. ROBERTS is one of the worthy and highly respected citizens of Seward county whose identification with its history dates back to poineer (sic) days, for here he has made his home for a third of a century, and has watched with interest the wonderful changes that have here been made. He has taken a most active and prominent part in the work of transformation, and on the rolls of Seward county's most honored pioneers his name should be found among the foremost.

      Our subject was born in Fulton county, Illinois, October 2, 1838, a son of John Roberts, now deceased, and there he continued to make his home until April, 1865, when he started for the west, driving overland and arriving in Seward county on the 2nd of May, of that year. He took a homestead on section 19, precinct G, where he now resides, and his was the first farmhouse west of the Blue river. It was a rail pen covered with boards, the lumber for which he hauled from Nebraska City, paying eighty-five dollars per thousand for cotton wood. Later he built a log house, in which he lived for many years and which was often filled with Indians who were traveling along the Blue river. As years passed by the comforts of civilization were added to his pioneer home, and as he prospered in his farming operations he at length became the owner of three hundred and twenty acres of valuable land, which now adjoins the city of Seward.

      On the 6th of August, 1863, Mr. Roberts was united in marriage with Miss Margaret Shreves, a native of Pennsylvania and a daughter of Samuel and Abigail (Cook) Shreves, who were natives of Maryland and Pennsylvania, respectively. Mr. and Mrs. Roberts have a family of five children: Samuel O.; Margaret L., now the wife of A. Y. Williams; Vernice L., and John F. and Julia R., twins. In politics, Mr. Roberts is a Populist, and he has been called upon to fill the offices of township treasurer and school director. In 1894 he was candidate of his party for representative to the lower house of the legislature, but was defeated. He is one of the most popular and influential citizens of his community, and by all who know him he is held in high regard. 

Letter/label or bar. HYMAS.--Among the worthy citizens that England has furnished to Nebraska is this gentleman, now a well-known and influential farmer of Waco township, York county, residing on section 12. He was born in the county of Essex, England, January 29, 1841, and is a son of Edward and Mary (Sewall) Hymas, both of whom died in the mother country, where Mr. Hymas followed agricultural pursuits as a means of livelihood.

      The subject of this review was reared to manhood in the land of his birth, was educated in the common schools and was trained to farm labor. In 1863 he chose as a companion and helpmeet Miss Harriet E. Garrard, and they were united in the holy bonds of matrimony. The lady is also a native of Essex county, England. In 1870 they crossed the briny deep to the new world and spent a short time in Canada, but the



same year removed to Lincoln, Nebraska. In 1871 Mr. Hymas secured the farm in York county upon which he now resides and has since made his home. There were few settlers in the county at the time and the greater part of the land was wild prairie, which had never been used for purposes of cultivation. Mr. Hymas had very little money and in those first years had to work on the railroad or at anything he could get to do in order to gain the means with which to purchase the necessaries of life. He built a small frame house and afterward made a sod addition to it, living in that home for about ten years, when it was replaced by his present comfortable residence. In 1872 he began breaking his land and raised some sod corn, pumpkins, melons, etc. The next year he raised a fair crop, but in 1874 the grasshoppers destroyed nearly everything. All things come to him who will but wait, however, and after several years the labor and care which Mr. Hymas had placed upon his farm was manifest in its splendidly improved condition. His possessions now aggregate three hundred and forty acres, and in addition to his York county farm he has one hundred and sixty acres in Keith county, Nebraska. On the home farm he has three hundred acres under a high state of cultivation, while the remaining forty acres is used for pasturage. The Keith county farm is also partially improved. He carries on general farming, raises a high grade of stock, and is recognized as one of the most progressive and enterprising agriculturists of the community.

      To Mr. and Mrs. Hymas were born thirteen children, nine of whom are living, namely: Harriet Elizabeth, Albert Joseph, Ada May, Jane, Alice Maud, Bertha, Willie Edward, Lillie V. and Rose M. The parents are members of the Presbyterian church, at Utica, and are people of sterling worth, having the warm regard of all. Mr. Hymas also belongs to the Ancient Order of United Workmen, of Utica. In politics he is a Republican, and is now treasurer of his school district. 

Letter/label or barEORGE W. KEIM, a representative and prominent agriculturist of Fillmore county, owns and operates a valuable and well improved farm on section 6, Chelsea township. He was born in Pennsylvania, June 27, 1842, and is a son of Daniel and Susan (Ulch) Keim, who removed from that state to Miami county, Indiana, when our subject was a lad of seven years. There the father purchased a farm, which he operated until well advanced in life. As his children had all left home and he was unable to care for so large a tract, he sold the place and bought fifteen acres in the same county, residing thereon until called from this life in 1880, when over eighty years of age. His wife survived him for some years, but they now sleep side by side in a little cemetery in Miami county.

      Mr. Keim, of this review, remained with his father until nearly twenty-one years of age, attending the common schools and aiding in the work of the farm. A few days before he attained his majority he enlisted in Company I, Thirtieth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, enrolling his name among the boys in blue March 27, 1864. He was soon transferred to Company E, and joined his regiment at Tunnell Hill, near the Tennessee river, it being a part of General Sherman's command. He participated in the battle of Resaca, followed by the engagements of Dallas, Kingston and New Hope Church. After crossing the Chattahoochee river the regiment went on the Atlanta campaign, and were in many battles and skirmishes, including that of Jonesboro, where our subject leaped over the breastworks and received a bayonet wound. Although it was quite severe he could not be prevailed upon to leave the ranks and go



to the hospital. Later the regiment, with. many others, was detailed to reinforce General Thomas, who had been ordered to check General Hood's army, which was following General Sherman's command. Then followed the battles of Franklin and Nashville, after which a part of General Thomas' army went into winter quarters at Huntsville, Alabama. From that place the Thirtieth Indiana was ordered to Butt's Gap, Tennessee, where they remained a week and then proceeded to Nashville. The command next went down the river to New Orleans, and from there to Victoria, Texas, and on to Goliad, that state, where they where mustered out November 25, 1865.

      Mr. Keim then returned home and resumed farming. On the 24th of February, 1867, at the home of the bride in Miami county, Indiana, he was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Christiana Smith, whom he had known since she was a child of eight years. She was educated in that county. Her parents, Adam and Barbara (Shutzbaugh) Smith, were both natives of Germany, and when young came to the United States, their marriage being celebrated in New York. They lived for a time in Ohio, but finally located permanently in Indiana. Mr. Smith was a tailor by trade, but gave as much attention to farming as to that business. Our subject and his wife have two children: Eli and Ella, who have received good common-school educations and now assist their parents in the farm work and household duties.

      After his marriage Mr. Keim located on a small farm in Miami county, Indiana, given him by his father, but in 1872 sold his personal property and came west, first locating in Washington county, Nebraska, where he rented a farm and lived for four years. The following two years were spent in Sonoma county, California, where he engaged in farming and in the fruit business. On the return of the family to Nebraska they stopped at Kearney, but finding no suitable location in that neighborhood, they came to Filmore (sic) county, landing in Geneva March 8, 1879. In Chelsea township Mr. Keim purchased a tract of railroad land on section 6, where he has since made his home. Although some of the land had been broken, no building had yet been erected, but he now has one hundred and sixty acres under a fine state of cnltivation (sic) and well improved with a good residence and substantial out-buildings. Upon the place he has planted apples, peaches, plums, cherries, currants, strawberries, raspberries, grapes, etc., and besides having enough for his own use, he has sold thousands of bushels of apples. Since casting his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln in 1864, Mr. Keim has been a stalwart supporter of the Republican party, and takes an active and commendable interest in public affairs. Both he and his wife were reared in the Luthuran (sic) church, but there being no church of that denomination near their home, they generally attend the Christian church. They are widely and favorably known, and their friends are many throughout Fillmore county. 

Letter/label or barHARLES M. TURNER, an enterprising and well-to-do agriculturist of Morton township, York county, is a native of Illinois, born at Freeport, Stephenson county, on the 27th of October, 1854, and is a son of John and Mary (Krutzfelt) Turner, who are both of German birth and in 1854 crossed the broad Atlantic and took up their residence in Illinois, where they still reside. In their family are four sons and one daughter who, are still living.

      Mr. Turner, whose name introduces this sketch, spent his boyhood and youth in Illinois, and on starting out in life for himself engaged in farming in that state, carrying on operations there until coming to Ne-



braska in 1883. In Morton township, York county, he purchased the farm on which he now resides, and to its cultivation and improvement has since devoted his energies, converting it into one of the most desirable places of the locality.

      In 1883 Mr. Turner led to the marriage altar Miss Rebecca May, a native of Pennsylvania, and to them has been born an interesting family of five children, namely: John W., Charles J., Alta M., Pearl E. and Minnie S. The parents are both earnest and consistent members of the United Brethren church and hold a high place in the estimation of their fellow citizens. In his political affiliations, Mr. Turner is a Populist. but has never held office, political honors having no attraction for him. He is public spirited, however, and an earnest promoter of the schemes to advance the material interests of his township and county, or elevate society. 

Letter/label or barLAYTON BURGESS is one of the prosperous and substantial citizens of York county whose lives have been devoted to agricultural pursuits, and who show in their successful career that they thoroughly understand their chosen calling and are likewise men of sound judgment and good business ability. Our subject's fine farm of three hundred and sixty acres is pleasantly located in Arborville township, and is to-day under a high state of cultivation and well improved with good buildings.

      Mr. Burgess was born in Kent county, Delaware, December 26, 1847, and is a son of William and Eliza (Burchard) Burgess, prominent farming people, who spent their entire lives in that state. The father was three times married and had fourteen children, eight sons and six daughters. The subject of this sketch was reared and educated in his native state, and since starting out in life for himself has devoted his entire time and attention to agricultural pursuits.. With the tide of emigration he came westward in 1867 and first settled in Fremont county, Illinois, but in 1869 came to Omaha, Nebraska, and later in the same year located in Harrison county, Iowa, where he made his home until 1874, which year witnessed his arrival in York county. Here, he took up a homestead of eighty acres, and as he prospered in his new home, he has extended the boundaries of his farm from time to time as his financial resources permitted until he now owns three hundred and sixty acres of valuable and highly productive land. Upon his land he first built a sod house, in which he lived while breaking his first tract, but to-day he has one of the best improved farms of the county, it. being all under fence and equipped with a fine set of farm buildings.

     In Hamilton county, Nebraska, Mr. Burgess was married, in 1877, to Miss Harriett M. Millsapp, a native of Iowa, by whom he has had ten children: William B.; Effie, deceased; Omar C.; Charles C.; Ethel; Roy; George W.; Edna; Hattie B. and Annie. The family attend the Methodist Episcopal church, in which the parents hold membership. Although a stanch Democrat in politics, Mr. Burgess has never sought nor cared for official honors, preferring to give his entire time and attention to his extensive business interests. He is, however, a public-spirited citizen, devoted to the best interests of his township and county, and as such has won the respect and esteem of all who have the pleasure of his acquaintance. 

Letter/label or barOSEPH K. WILLIAMS.--Few people remain long in Polk county without becoming familiar with this name, which is borne by one of its earliest pioneers and most enterprising men. Here he has made his home since the 7th of December, 1870,


Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller