NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



Picture button




he furnished his table with all the deer and bear meet the family could eat. There he and his wife spent the greater part of their lives. The farm on which they lived contained not more than thirty acres and had thirty-four corners marked with stone stakes and trees. During their early residence there the nearest cabin was fifteen miles from their home, and no wagon could be driven within twenty miles of this hunter's paradise. There they reared their children. Some of them reached man and womenhood unable to read and write; and in fact not one had ever seen a newspaper or book of any kind, or had been in a schoolhouse until past middle life. The boys were experts with the rifle and also with the hoe, the only agricultural implement in use among those hills; while the girls were taught to grow and spin flax and and weave all the cloth used in making the various garments worn by all.

      It was in this mountain home, and amidst these surroundings that Armisted Hatfield grew to manhood. He was born in Fentress county, Tennessee, March 9, 1809, and on reaching man's estate married Miss Mary Richison, a native of East Tennessee. After their marriage they left the mountain wilds and moved to southeastern Indiana, settling on a farm in Greene county, in 1828, where he made his home for thirty-two years, while devoting his energies to the development and cultivation of his land.

      Dr. Hatfield is the youngest of the family of twelve children, of whom ten reached years of maturity. In the county of his nativity he spent his boyhood and youth and attended the public schools. At the age of twenty he married Miss Martha Rush, a daughter of B. Rush, and they have become the parents of one son, Homer R., who has also chosen dentistry as a lifework, and is now a student at the Northwestern University at Chicago.

      The Doctor continued to work with and for his father until he attained the age of twenty-five years, when his father, who had accumulated considerable property, sold his farm and left our subject and his wife free to seek other employment. He then commenced the study of dentistry in the office of Dr. Driscoll, with whom he remained for a year, and then entered the dental department of the University of Indiana, at Indianapolis. On leaving college he returned to his old home, and among the people who had known him all his life he opened his office, remaining there four years. He then came to Nebraska and settled in the growing city of York, where he soon succeeded in establishing a large and lucrative practice, which he still enjoys. In political affiliations he has been a life-long Republican, while socially he is a member in good standing of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and his wife of the Daughters of Rebekah. For over a quarter of a century they have been faithful members of the Christian church, and are honored and highly respected citizens of York, where they have found a pleasant home. A portrait of Dr. Hatfield appears on another page. 

Letter/label or barOLOMON SHRADER, one of the representative and prominent agriculturists of Butler county, residing on section 6, Read township, has for almost a quarter of a century been identified with its interests, and has been an important factor in the growth and upbuilding of the community.

      Mr. Shrader was born July 18, 1829, in Union county, Pennsylvania, and is a worthy representative of an old Pennsylvania Dutch family, his paternal grand-faer (sic) being a resident Berks county, that state, while his father, Frederick Shrader, was for many years a well-known and highly respected farmer of Union county. In the county of his nativity our subject was reared upon a



farm, early becoming familiar with every department of farm work, and acquiring his literary education in the public schools of the neighborhood. He was married in Union county, in July, 1852, to Miss Catherine, daughther (sic) of Frederick Catherman, of that county, and there they began their domestic life. At the end of two years, however, they removed to Centre county, Pennsylvania, where the following three years were passed. An older brother of Mr. Shrader had emigrated to Illinois and on his return to Pennsylvania induced our subject to sell his property there and remove to the Prairie state, which he did in 1857, settling on a farm in Carroll county, where he experienced all the hardships and privations incident to pioneer life. To the cultivation and improvement of his land he devoted his energies for many years.

      Before leaving the east three children had come to bless the union of Mr. and Mrs. Shrader, namely: George, Rosa B. and William; and in Illinois the family circle was increased by the following: Frances, Edwin, Fred, Kate, and Alberta. Of these George, is engaged in farming in Butler county, Nebraska, William is a resident of Osceola, Nebraska, Fred, a young man of especially bright prospects, was educated at Shenandoah, Iowa, and died shortly after his graduation in 1891, his death proving a sad blow to his family and to his host of friends and admirers among all classes. Rosa B. is the wife of George U. Warner, of Polk county, Nebraska; and Kate and Alberta, at home, are bright and facsinating (sic) young ladies of liberal education and superior talents.

      In the spring of 1874 Mr. Shrader came to Nebraska to visit his oldest daughter--Mrs. Warner--and before returning to Illinois purchased a quarter section of land in Butler county, on which he located March 15, of that year, after disposing of his property in Illinois. Here his experiences as a pioneer were duplicated, and from the wild unbroken land he has developed a fine farm, whose well-tilled fields and neat and thrifty appearance plainly indicate the perseverance, industry and enterprise of the the owner. Mr. Shrader and his family have taken a prominent and active part in the public affairs of the locality, and are justly numbered among the valued and useful citizens of the community. 

Letter/label or barAMES SHIPP. --The life of this gentleman is a striking example of perseverance and industry. He has had somewhat remarkable experience in his struggle with the world, but prosperity has at length crowned his efforts, and he is now the owner of a valuable farm on section 26, Baker township, York county. He was born in Cambridgeshire, England, March 2, 1846, a son of Thomas and Mary (Tubbs) Shipp, farming people of that country, who with their family emigrated to America in 1858, and located in Warrick county, Indiana. For several years they made their home in that county, but finally sold their farm and removed to Gibson county, the same state, where they spent the remainder of their lives.

      The subject of this sketch was twelve years old when he accompanied his parents on their removal to the United States, and in Warrick and Gibson counties, Indiana, he grew to manhood. His summers were wholly devoted to farm work, and while attending school during the winter season, he worked nights, mornings and Saturdays for his board. In Gibson county, he was married February 24, 1870, to Miss Angeline Broadwell, a native of Warrick county, Indiana, and a daughter of David and Cathanne (Welty) Broadwell, a sketch of whom will be found on another page of this volume. Mr. and Mrs. Shipp have become the parents of nine children, namely: David, now deceased; Jonn; Charles; May; Will-



iam; Richard; Nellie; Marcia, deceased; and Clyde.

      The first three years of his married life, Mr. Shipp passed in Warrick county, Indiana, but in the fall of 1873 came to York county, Nebraska, having bought the supposed right to eighty acres of land on section 26 Baker, townshisp (sic), of Lee Matteson, a young man from Iowa. He paid Mr. Matteson three hundred and fifty for his claim which he found out later did not exist but he never saw his friend (?) Matteson nor the three hundred and fifty dollars again. He afterward made up his mind that all men were not honest. Going to the land office, Mr. Shipp filed a homestead claim to the land and has lived upon the same ever since. The only improvement on the land was a dugout near its eastern border, and in this he, his wife and one child made their home during the winter--together with his brother-in-law, James White, with his wife and child--this rude habitation serving as a home for two families. Mr. White had homesteaded eighty acres adjoining that of our subject, and in 1874 they broke twenty acres of land spiece, having one team between them. While Mr. White broke his land, Mr. Shipp planted sod corn, using an ax to make the neceassry (sic) excavation in the sod. The corn grew in fine style, and the prospects for a crop were good, but the grasshoppers came and destroyed it totally, together with all their vegetables. All they raised that year was a little wheat, and the hardships they were forced to endure can he little realized by the present generation. In the fall of 1874 Mr. Shipp built a comfortable sod house on his land, and after living in it for seven years was enabled to build a frame house 16 x 24 feet, which now serves as a kitchen to his present residence, which was erected in 1890, and is i6 x 26 feet, and two straies (sic) in height. He has placed his land under a high state of cultivation, and having rented two hundred and sixty acres of land, is now successfully carrying on farming operations on an extensive scale.

      Mr. Shipp has always taken considerable interest in educational affairs, and for fifteen years has been the efficient treasurer of his district. In 1895 he also served as assessor of Baker township. Politically he is a stanch Republican in politics, is an active party worker, while socially he affiliates with the Ancient Order of United Workman at Charlston; and religiously both he and his wife are leading members of the Methodist Episcopal church at the same place, of which he is one of the trustees. 

Letter/label or bar. H. TAYLOR, a wealthy and prosperous farmer of West Blue township, York county, enjoys the distinction of being one of the very oldest settlers in this part of Nebraska. He has been here now a full third of a century, and has counted step by step all the slow and difficult process by which history has been made west of the Missouri. He knows all the story of the state by experience. He was part of it. He lives on section 8, and loves to dilate upon the story of the past. It is to him and to all who have come through it a history of surpassing interest.

      Mr. Taylor was born December 20, 1837, in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, and was a son to William and Hester (Shaffer) Taylor, and by his paternal ancestry is of German extraction. His father and mother have always lived in Fayette county, and there he spent his life until he had reached full manhood. He was one of a family of five girls and four boys who reached maturity. Four are now living. His parents were members of the Methodist church, and were in every way excellent and worthy people. Our subject had one brother, John, who served in the Union army during the Civil war, and was taken prisoner and confined in Andersonville.



      The subject of this writing began for himself in the great world of business soon after reaching his twenty-second year. He had been very fairly educated in the public schools, and felt quite prepared for the struggles and competitions of business. He left the overcrowded east, and found work as a farm hand in Livingston county, Illinois, in the year immediately preceding the firing on Fort Sumter. That direful event shook the country, and sent hosts of brave and ardent young men to the front. He was among the very first to enlist, and his record shows his enlistment April 18, 1861, as a member of Company D, Twentieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He was attached to the drum corps as a fifer, and was with the regiment fourteen months. Its arena of operations was in Kentucky, Tennessee and Missouri, and for the greater part of this time was under the immediate command of General Grant. He was in the battles of Fredericktown, Missouri, and Fort Henry, and was taken sick at this latter point from exposure and hardship. He was in the hospital for more than a year, and was discharged in June, 1862. It was a blow to the ambitious soldier, but it could not be helped. He returned to his Illinois home, and began work selling coal out of a coal yard. He also worked in an elevator, and applied himself heartily to whatever opportunity was offered him. In 1865 he came to Nebraska and took up a homestead where he now resides. His nearest neighbor was four miles away. Indians were plenty, and at times inclined so be dangerous. His market town was Nebraska City, one hundred miles to the east. The township, county and state were without organization. In 1866 he broke the prairie and the next year raised his first crop. The first three years of his stay in the state he spent in Missouri, chopping wood, but after that his farm became important enough to demand all his time. He lived in a dugout three years, and moved from that into a log cabin, and into his present residence in 1884.

      Mr. Taylor is the proprietor of a quarter section of as fine land as the sun shines on, one hundred acres of which are devoted to cultivation. His is a general farming, and he devotes all his energies to his farm. He was married in 1870 to Miss Sarah Ong, a native of Pennsylvania, where she was born in Fayette county, August 6, 1849. She is a daughter of Isaac Ong, who came to York county in 1868, and now resides at McCool. She is the mother of one child, and is a member of the Christian church. In politics Mr. Taylor is a stanch Republican. He was the first constable in West Blue township, and held that position ten years. He has been district treasurer and moderator of district No. 7. He helped to organize the first school district in York county, and walked thirty miles to engage the first teacher. He helped to organize the township, and had a hand in the organization of the county and state. He was present at the first election in the county and state. He voted for the first governor of Nebraska, and has retained a lively interest public affairs. 

Letter/label or barULIUS C. BOYE, one of the most progressive and enterprising agriculturists of Seward county, carries on operations on section 33, precinct N, where he has a fine farm. He is a native of Iowa, born in Linn county, May 19, 1848, and is a son of Harman and Isabel (Patterson) Boye, the former of Danish, the latter of Scotch-Irish descent. The father was born in Denmark, but when a child was brought to this country and grew to manhood in the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he worked at the cabinet maker's trade until his removal to Iowa in about 1830. He continued to follow his chosen occupation until



1850, when he was attacked with the "gold fever" and went to California, spending four years on the Pacific slope, during which time he was fairly successful. On his return to Iowa he purchased a farm and turned his attention to agricultural pursuits. It was in 1847 that he married Mrs. Isabel (Patterson) Grafton, widow of Dr. Grafton.

      The subject of this sketch lived with his father on the home farm and attended the common schools until twenty years of age, when he entered the Agricultural college in Story county, Iowa, where he pursued his studies for a year and a half, thus becoming well fitted for his life work. Returning home he aided his father in the work of the farm until twenty-three years of age, and during the following two years engaged in business on his own account as a farmer and railroad man. Collecting his hard-earned savings he crossed the Missouri river and landed in Seward county, Nebraska, March 14, 1874, with the intention of making his future home here. He purchased a farm on section 13, precinct M, built the usual sod-house and commenced to break and improve his land.

      On the 1st of October, 1874, Mr. Boye was united in marriage with Miss Esther Huffman, and took her as a bride to his new home, where they lived for three years. He then traded his farm for one hundred and sixty acres on section 33, precinct N, erected a frame house, and again commenced to develop a farm from wild land. Here his wife died in July, 1884, leaving him with three small children, the youngest only two months old. Being unable to conduct his farm and care for his children, he moved to the city of Seward, where their grandmother could assist him in attending to their wants. In March, 1888, he returned to the farm, and on the 18th of January, 1889, he married Mrs. Myra Hazelwood, who lived south of Seward, and with whom he had been acquainted for a number of years. To them have been born three children, but all died in infancy. Two of the children of the first marriage are still living: Mable M. is now the wile of Harry Miller, son of Arthur J. and Melissa Miller, and they have one child, Vera. They live upon a part of the old homestead, not over a half mile from her father's house. Julius Roy is now fourteen years old, and when not attending the district schools of the locality he assists his father in the labors of the farm. Mr. Boye is a firm believer in the advantages of a good education and proposes that his son shall attended higher institutes of learning and also prepare for a profession, if he so desires.

      Mr. and Mrs. Boye are the owners of four hundred and eighty acres of beautiful rolling prairie land, well watered and under a high state of cultivation. If good crops are an evidence of good farming as well as good land, the amount of wheat, corn, oats, barley and potatoes raised upon his farm will place our subject in the front rank of Seward county's best and most skillful farmers. He has always been a supporter of the Republican party, casting his first presidential vote for General Grant and his last for William McKinley. He and his wife are faithful members of the Evangelical Association, both being regular in their attendance at church and Sunday-school. There is a neat little church only a mile east of their farm, where they can be found each Sunday listening to the preaching of Rev. Keefer, the present pastor. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM CRISP is one of the honored veterans of the Civil war whose devotion to his country was tested not only by his service on the field of battle but in the still more deadly dangers of the southern prison den. This gallant soldier is now a leading citizen of Osceola, Polk county, having retired from farm work.




      Mr. Crisp was born January 9, 1834, in Cambridgeshire, England, but was brought to America in 1838 by his parents, Joseph and Martha (Webrow) Crisp, who lived for six years in New York state and then removed to Hillsdale county, Michigan, locating on a new farm in the town of Cambria. There the mother died in January, 1867, the father in 1869. In their family were seven children who reached years of maturity, viz: Ann, now deceased; Elizabeth, a resident of New York; Charles, deceased; John and Joseph who live in Michigan; William, of this review; and George, deceased. Three of the sons were soldiers of the Civil war, Charles being a member of the Eighteenth Michigan Volunteer Infantry, and dying from disease while in the service in Kentucky. George was a member of the Fourth United States Sharpshooters and was killed before Petersburg, Virginia. Thus two of the sons laid down their lives on the altar of their country. The father had been a member of the British army for seven years, first being under the command of Sir John Moore, and later under the Duke of Wellington. He was all through the Spanish peninsula campaign ending with the battle of Waterloo, where he was slightly wounded by a bullet just grazing his scalp.

      The subject of this sketch accompanied his parents on their emigration to America and on their removal to Michigan, and acquired his education in the public schools near his home. He was married, September 9, 1855, to Miss Elizabeth Wamsley, who was born September 6, 1838, a sister of Christopher Wamsley, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this work. Four children blessed this union: William, born November 11, 1856, died September 15, 1885. Cornelius Loca, born September 26, 1858, became a member of Company H, Fourth United States Infantry, regular army, and died October , 1883. Alice, born May 21, 1860, married Joseph James, and died December 17, 1896, leaving six children, five still living--Earle, Tod, Robert, Josiah and Ray. Mortimer R., born February 4, 1870, is now a Methodist minister.

      After his marriage Mr. Crisp located on a farm in Hillsdale county, Michigan, and to the cultivation and improvement of the wild land he devoted his energies until August, 1862, when he enlisted as a private in Company D, Eighteenth Michigan Volunteer Infantry. At that time excitement was very high, and while breaking land with a two-yoke team of cattle, he and his brother Charles got to talking about the war. They soon stopped work, unhitched the cattle and started off to enlist. His wife with a baby in her arms went to intercept him but missed him, and he soon afterward went to the front, leaving her with three small children. His command first went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and then under General Lew Walface went in pursuit of Buckner in Kentucky. Mr. Crisp was in the engagement at Danville, Kentucky, under Buell, and also in the siege of Cornith, and was on duty at Nashville, Tennessee, under General Mitchell. He was one of the train guards on the railroad between Chattanooga and Louisville, then went to Murfreesboro after the battle in that at that place, and proceeded with General Rosecrans to Chattanooga. Subsequently he was in the battles of Resaca, Decatur and Athens, and at the last-named place was taken prisoner September 24, 1864. After spending one night in the stockades at Meridian, Mississippi, he was sent to Castle Morgan, Cahawba, Alabama, where he was confined until March 24, 1865, his food being a pint of corn meal every twenty-four hours, it being ground cob, husk and all. Everything was done by the captors to torment the prisoners. The prison was located in the flats of the Alabama river, which in the spring of 1865



overflowed its banks, and for twelve days this prison pen was covered with from one to six feet of water, there being not a dry spot on the entire grounds. The prisoners were almost naked; their sufferings were intense; vermin could be measured by the hundred bushels; and the death rate was about fifty per day. After the flood subsided there were about five hundred bodies taken from the place. Vain efforts were made to break out, and they took their guards prisoners, but the next day two regiments of rebels and artillery were brought up and released the guards. As a punishment the prisoners were not given food for three days. During the raid of Wilson's cavalry in Alabama, the prisoners were taken across the Tombigby river to Gainesville, then to Meridian, and from there to Jackson, Mississippi. At Big Black river they were recaptured by the Union cavalry and went into camp near Vicksburg for six weeks.

      On the 24th of April, 1865, two thousand five hundred prisoners from the rebel prison pens were put on board the steamer Sultana, at Vicksburg, bound for St. Louis, but when just above Memphis, Tennessee, the boiler exploded, causing a total wreck, which was followed in a few moments by a fire, which entirely destroyed the boat. Only about six hundred soldiers were saved, one thousand nine hundred being lost. At the time of the explosion, between two and three o'clock, A. M, Mr. Crisp was asleep on the boiler deck only about sixteen feet from the boiler, and was suddenly awakened, finding himself under the boiler. He had to remain there, being fastened down by a portion of the boiler, and the heat was almost unbearable. After making a desperate effort he succeeded in crawling out and reached a crowd of men huddled together at the bow of the boat. Both arms, shoulders and a part of his body were scalded and burned terribly, and the left arm was rendered useless by a part of the boiler falling on it. The boat had headed down the stream, and when the advancing flames began to singe his hair, Mr. Crisp jumped into the river, but was immediately grasped by a drowning man and pulled under. Getting loose, he came to the surface and swam down stream and crossed to the Arkansas side, three and a half miles from the scene of the disaster. He landed on a tree standing in the water, where he remained for about four hours, being rescued by a Confederate soldier. He was taken to Memphis, where he remained in the hospital for two weeks and then sent to Cairo, Illinois, but could proceed no farther for twenty-four hours. By train he went to Indianapolis, .and after resting another day proceeded to Columbus, Ohio, where he was in a hospital for two weeks. He was then ordered in the stockade on reaching Jackson, Michigan. but instead went home. He had suffered so much during his three years' absence and was so terribly changed by his horrible experiences, that his wife did not know him. At the end of two weeks he reported again at Jackson, and was again ordered into the stockades, but obtained a leave of absence. He was finally mustered out at Detroit, Michigan, June 25, 1865, but Was unable to resume work for about a year.

      In July, 1873, Mr. Crisp came to Polk county, Nebraska, and secured a homestead -the northeast quarter of section 10, township 15, range 3. For a few months the family lived in a tent, then in a sod house for four years, and at the end of that time removed to a comfortable frame residence. The land being all wild, they raised nothing the first year, and the following year their crops were destroyed by the grasshoppers. Thus they were forced to endure all the hardships and privations of frontier life, but Mr. Crisp was persevering and industrious, and now has eighty acres under a high state of cultivation and improved with good buildings. In 1895 he laid aside business cares



and has since lived retired in Osceola, enjoying a well-earned rest. He is a leading and active member of the Methodist Episcopal church of that place, and has been a local minister for that denomination since 1856, laboring untiringly for the betterment of his fellow men. He is an honored member of the Grand Army Post at Silver Creek, and is an ardent Republican in politics, taking a very active part in the campaign of 1896, making a number of stump speeches throughout Polk county. He has efficiently served as school treasurer in district No. 57, and in days of peace is as true to his duties of citizenship as he was when he followed the old flag to victory on southern battle fields. 

Letter/label or barIETRICH BRANDT was the first homesteader in H precinct, Seward county, Nebraska, and has known the west in every stage of development and been identified with its growth and prosperity.

      Mr. Brandt was born in Germany, January 28, 1834, began school in that country at the age of six years, and continued same until ten years of age. At this time he migrated to America with his father and older brother, his mother having died about four years previous to this time. They landed in New York in the fall of 1845, and from thence proceeded to Adams county, Indiana, where they rented an eighty-acre farm for one-third of the crop it should produce, and made this their home for five years, and here the father, Conrad Brandt; died in the fall of 1850, at the age of fifty-two years.

      In the following spring, our subject and his brother went to Clayton county, Iowa, where, for a time, Master Dietrich made a living by working by the month. By the time he reached the age of twenty, however, he was able to purchase a fifty-acre farm at the rate of twenty dollars per acre. This farm, at the time Mr. Brandt purchased it, was entirely unimproved, but it soon yielded to the pluck and enterprise of its new owner and became quite a respectable habitation for our subject and the amiable lady who at that time became his wife.

     Mr. Brandt made his home on his Iowa farm for fifteen years, and then emigrated, with a covered wagon and team of oxen, for Nebraska. Arriving at Nebraska City, he left his wife and family of three children while he, together with Conrad Grotz and Louis Leibrock, went farther into the interior of the state on an exploring expedition. After locating his claim in H precinct, Seward county, our subject returned to Nebraska City for his family. They then moved to their new home, but for three weeks they were obliged to live in their covered wagon until the dugout could be completed. In this rude domicile, which was in size 16 x 18 feet, they spent two years, and from it every evening could be heard the sound of wolves, deer and antelope, mingled with the yells of the Indians. Later he built a log house in which he lived until 1890, and this structure is still standing as a relic of pioneer life. He then moved into his present spacious, and, indeed, very comfortable home. During the early part of his life in the west, Mr. Brandt had to drive to Nebraska City, a distance of seventy-five miles, to get his groceries, and, in fact, do all of his marketing, and consequently the supply of provisions would sometimes run low, and the good wife was compelled to use the coffee mill to grind wheat and corn to supply the family with bread and "Johnniecake." This mode of living is now a thing of the past with Mr. Brandt, and he is now the fortunate owner of a farm of three hundred and twenty acres that compares favorably with the best farms in the precinct and he is now enjoying the fruits of a life of industry and honest labor and the confidence

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller