NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library




Picture button




tion 6, township 13, range 2, Polk county, and he and his brother kept bachelor's hall, their nearest neighbor being three miles distant. They built a shanty 14x 18 feet, cheaply constructed, and in the summer Mr. Buckley went down to the creek and made some mortar with which he plastered their cabin. He worked hard through the week, and on Sundays enjoyed excellent fishing in the Blue. Antelope furnished the table with meat and in the first fall after his arrival he joined a hunting party of nineteen white people that went out for buffaloes, which were very numerous on the prairies. Borrowing an excellent rifle from a Norwegian--brought from the old country--he brought down the first buffalo on which he fired. He then loaned the rifle to his partner, who put in the ball but forgot to put in the powder and in consequence the ball could not be extracted from the rifle until they returned home. The hunting, however, was carried on in a systematic manner, each man having some special work to perform, and Mr. Buckley succeeded in getting enough meat to keep him through the winter. During his first season, 1871, he planted twenty acres of sod corn, and in 1872 raised wheat, oats and corn. He remained on the homestead until 1874, and during the last year was all alone.

      In the spring of 1875 Mr. Buckley went to Camp Robinson, Nebraska, where he was employed for two years by the sutler. The Indians at that time threatened uprisings, but he continued at his post of duty until 1877, when he returned to Polk county and formed a partnership with Fred Peterson and A. G. Jones in the carpentering business. They also established a furniture store at Stromsburg, but after a time Mr. Buckley sold out and embarked in the grain and live stock business, which he carried on for about ten years. About 1885 he became interested in banking and is now at the head of the Stromsburg bank, his partners in the enterprise being John Buckley and Charles A. Morrill. In connection with his brother he also conducts a hardware store, and is still the owner of his old homestead.

      In the fall of 1880 Mr. Buckley was united in marriage to Miss Tillie C. Ross, a native of Nebraska City, Nebraska. They have two children, Newton Earl and Beulah B., the former a student in the high school of Omaha. The family is one of prominence in the community, and Mr. Buckley is a valued member of several civic societies. He belongs to the Ancient Order of United Workmen; has been Master of Stromsburg Lodge, No. 126, A. F. & A. M. and is a member of the Royal Arch Chapter, at York, Nebraska; Joppa Commandery, No. 17, K. T., of York; the Omaha Consistory, and, since November, 1889, has been identified with Sesostris Temple of the Mystic Shrine, of Lincoln, Nebraska. In politics he and his brothers have always been Republicans and he has taken an active interest in the success of his party. His wife was appointed postmistress of Stromsburg by President McKinley. Honorable in business, Mr. Buckley has won a success which results from straightforward dealing, unabating energy and close application, and has gained the confidence and respect of all by his upright life and genuine worth. In connection with this sketch portraits of Mr. and Mrs. Buckley are presented. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM F. MORRISON is one whose life record plainly demonstrates the opportunities which are open to young men of perseverance, energy, determination and ambition, for these qualities have brought to him substantial success, enabling him to overcome many obstacles and difficulties and work his way steadily upward to a position of affluence and of




prominence in the community in which he now makes his home. He is the owner of a fine farm on section 24, Bradshaw township, where for more than a quarter of a century he has made his home.

      Born in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, April 23, 1835, he is a son of William and Jane (Cunningham) Morrison, also natives of the Keystone state, and a grandson of Joshua and Mary Morrison. The father was a tanner by trade and also followed farming. His entire life was passed in the state of his nativity. In his family were six sons and five daughters. Our subject was reared under the parental roof, acquired his education in the public schools, and under his father's direction learned the tanner's trade, which he followed for some years. In 1862 he removed to Lee county, Illinois, where he engaged in farming, and in 1870 he came to York county, Nebraska. Here he pre-empted one hundred and sixty acres of wild land on section 24 Bradshaw township, and at once began to break and improve the same. He built a sod house, in which he lived for twelve years, and in 1883 erected a good frame residence, which was afterward destroyed by a cyclone, the inmates narrowly escaping death. The present residence was erected in 1890 and is a comfortable dwelling of modern style. Other good buildings add to the value and attractive appearance of the place and well tilled fields yield abundant harvests. Grasshoppers and dry seasons have brought discouraging times, but, never disheartened, Mr. Morrison has worked on and is to-day the owner of a finely improved farm, whose neat and thrifty appearance well indicates his careful supervision and progressive spirit.

      In Pennsylvania, in April, 1857, Mr. Morrison married Miss Virginia L. Lichtenberger, a daughter of Josiah and Eliza Lichtenberger, who came to York county in 1873, and secured a homestead on section 24, Bradshaw township, there residing until the mother's death in 1875. The father passed away in 1883. To our subject and his wife have been born ten children, eight of whom are living, as follows: Edwin W., Charles O., Samuel A., Josiah E., Fred W., Alfred E., Lee H. and George A. The deceased are Harry L. and Anna B. The parents belong to the Christian church and Mr. Morrison is a member of the Masonic fraternity. In politics he is a zealous and active Republican who has served as supervisor for six years, and for four years as township assessor, discharging his duties with marked promptness and fidelity. 

Letter/label or barOSEPH JACKSON, one of the prominent agriculturists and highly respected citizens of Arborville township, York county, was born in Frederick county, Maryland, January 28, 1820, and is a son of Joseph and Rebecca Jackson, natives of Germany, who came to this country at an early day. In his native state our subject was reared and educated in much the usual manner of boys of that day, and there he continued to make his home until thirty-five years of age. In 1856 he emigrated to Logan county, Illinois, where he worked at the shoemaker's trade, which he had previously learned and followed in Maryland, that occupation occupying the greater part of his attention for thirty-five years. In coming to York county, Nebraska, in 1881, however, he purchased a farm and has since successfully engaged in agricultural pursuits, owning at the present time a valuable farm of four hundred acres in Arborville township, which is under excellent cultivation and improved with good and substantial buildings.

      On the 27th of February, 1847, Mr. Jackson was united in marriage with Miss Jane Debilbiss a native of Frederick county,



Maryland, and a daughter of John and Maria Debilbiss, also natives of that state. The father's birth occurred January 19, 1800, Mr. and Jackson have a family of nine children, namely: William H., Joseph A., John IN., George L., Sylvia N., Minerva C., Eli D., Oliver C., Robert P., deceased, and Jennie E.

      For many years Mr. Jackson was an earnest supporter of the Democracy, but at present is independent in politics, casting his vote for the men and measures that he believes will best advance the public welfare regardless of party ties. He has already passed the Psalmist's span of life, of three score years and ten, but nature deals kindly with the man who abuses not her laws, and though his business cares have been extensive, age rests lightly upon him. All who know him esteem him highly for his genuine worth. 

Letter/label or barLEMENT E. MERCHANT, an industrious and thrifty farmer, has been prominently identified with the development and prosperity of Arborville township, York county, since poineer (sic) days, and while advancing his own interests has also materially promoted the welfare of his community by building up one of its best homesteads. He was born on the 6th of April, 1850, in Pottawattamie county, Iowa, a son of Lucius and Hortentia (Patrick) Merchant, both natives of Massachusetts. The father was born in that state in 1817, and in 1842 removed to Hancock county, Illinois. In 1851 he took up his residence in Harrison county, Iowa, and there his death occurred in 1895. He was married April 15, 1844, to Hortentia Patrick, and they became the parents of seven children, five sons and two daughters, of whom our subject was the second in order of birth.

      The boyhood and youth of Clement E. Merchant were passed in Iowa, where he acquired a fair common-school education, and after reaching man's estate he engaged in farming in his native county until 1872, which year witnessed his arrival in York county, Nebraska. In February, 1873, he located upon his claim on section 18, Arborville township, on which he first built a rude frame shanty, but that has long since given place to a more pretentious and modern dwelling, in which he now lives. He placed acre after acre of his land under the plow and has added to the original tract until to-day he has an excellent and well-improved farm of 320 acres.

      In 1871 Mr. Merchant led to the marriage altar Miss Kate Alter, who was born in Germany, of which country her parents, John and Martha (Geltz) Alter, were also natives. About 1852 the family crossed the Atlantic and settled in Pennsylvania, but in 1869 they removed to Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Merchant have an interesting family of four children: Frank E., Rollin E., Alice C. and Agnes I. The family hold membership in the Congregational church, and occupy a high position in the social circles of their community. The Republican party always finds in Mr. Merchant a stanch supporter of its principles. He is a self-made man in the fullest sense of that oftmisused term, his prosperity in life being due to his industry and integrity, and his life is a living illustration of what ability, energy, and force of character can accomplish. 

Letter/label or barOSEPH HOEPPNER, who is one of the representative farmers of Fillmore county, residing in section 4, Stanton precinct, was born in Germany, January 28, 1839. He was a son of Peter and Catherine (Bronsweick) Hoeppner, and was the first of five children born to their marriage. He received his education in the German schools, and served his time in the German




army. At the age of twenty-seven he came with his parents to America, and they settied at Peoria, Illinois, where they lived until their death. He got a position in the city, and worked there for two years, but having a taste for farming, he farmed on rented land for eight years. In 1882, seeing the advantages which were offered in the west as an agricultural section, he determined to go there. He came to Fillmore county and purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land, paying two thousand dollars for it. While this was slightly cultivated, yet it was not very well improved. The house was made of logs and its dimensions were fourteen by eighteen feet. He lived in that house for twelve years, and then replaced it by an elegant frame structure at a cost of one thousand eight hundred dollars. He has by hard and constant work improved the farm, and it is now a model of its class, having large and substantial buildings, and surrounded by a fine hedge fence which was planted by him the first year he bought it. While our subject accumulated a great deal of his wealth while farming in Illinois, yet he has added considerably to it since coming to Nebraska.

      On March 29, 1868, he was married to Miss Elizabeth Schonwolf, who was born in Frankfort, Germany, and died June 25, 1894. To their marriage were born seven children, six of whom are now living, as follows: Maria, who married Jacob Walter; Eva, who is in Lincoln; Carrie, who married Bruno Schneever; Amelia, now Mrs. H. Eaton; Anna and Clara, the last two named now living at home. He was married October 26, 1898, to Mrs. Kate (Ohlemiller) Hoeppner, a daughter of Sebastian and Margaret (Crane) Ohlemiller, to whom were born eight children, Mrs. Hoeppner being the fourth child, and was first married to Chas. Hoeppner, who died in 1881 and is buried in St. Joseph. She was born January 15, 1855, and was educated in the common schools of Peoria, Illinois. To her previous marriage were born three children, Maggie, Emma and Francis.

      Both Mr. and Mrs. Hoeppner are members of the Catholic church. Politically, he is a close adherent to the Independent party, and has done much to place that party in its present position in Fill more county. He takes an active interest in all matters that are connected with educational lines, and has filled the school offices at various times much to his credit. 

Letter/label or barOHN DAHLGREEN is a living illustration of the success that can be won in this country by the sons of far-away Sweden. They have gone everywhere in the United States, and have risen to very high positions or come into the possession of great power and influence. But it is to be doubted if any of them have exhibited more genuine manhood and real worth than the modest and unassuming proprietor of the farm on section 6, in the township of Morton, where Mr. Dahlgreen has delved and dug for so many years.

      John Dahlgreen is a native of Sweden, where he was born December 15, 1834, and was a son of Adam and Lena (Sanderson) Dahlgreen. To them Sweden was the center of the world, and in it they were born, lived, married and died. They had three sons, of whom John is the oldest. He was very fairly educated in the Swedish schools, and when he was old enough, he began farming. In 1868 he came to the United States, and found a stopping place in Marshall county, Illinois. He was for several years in the employment of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad. In 1872 he entered this county for the purpose of securing a home, and he made a homestead entry on section 6, Morton township. His first work was to build a sod-house, which was his home for eight years.



It gave way in 1880 to a modest frame structure, and in 1892 the present handsome and elegant structure arose from the ashes of his former home, which had been destroyed by fire. It is quite generally pronounced one of the very best in the county. He has followed general farming, and seeks the steady improvement of stock and land.

      Mr. Dahlgreen has been twice married. His first marriage was in Sweden to Miss Clara Anderson. She presented him with three children, Charles, Albert and Leda, and died in 1871. The next year he was married to Miss Annie Johnson. They have a family of six children, three sons and three daughters. They are Fred, Harry, Mabel, Lelia, Ethel and Floyd, and are all alive at the present writing. In politics he is a Populist, but he has never sought or filled any other office than school trustee. He has simply devoted himself to his farm and his family, and his neighbors have come to know and esteem him as an honorable and upright man. 

Letter/label or bar. M. CALDER is the junior member of the well-known hardware firm of Calder & Calder, who are now conducting a large and profitable business in Tamora, Seward county, Nebraska. As a business man he is enterprising, energetic and always abreast of the times, and is also upright and honorable in all his dealings.

      Mr. Calder was born in Clinton county, Iowa, May 26, 1863, and is a son of Lyman and Mary J. (Williams) Calder, natives of Ohio and Illinois respectively. His paternal grandfather, James M. Calder, was a native of Washington county, Ohio, his father having been one of the pioneers of that county, where he took up land from the government and developed a farm. Both died in the Buckeye state. Lyman Calder was born in Meigs county, Ohio, June 14, 1833, and there was reared and educated in much the usual manner of boys of his day. In early life he engaged in boating on the river for a number of years, but in 18 56 came west, first locating in Scott county, Iowa, where he resided until 1862. He then made his home in Clinton county, the same state, where he followed agricultural pursuits until 1879, when he came to Seward county, Nebraska, and in precinct E bought eighty acres of land, for which he paid five dollars and fifty cents per acre. To this he added the following year one hundred and sixty acres at eleven dollars and fifty cents, and in 1882 purchased another eighty-acre tract at twenty dollars. He continued to reside upon his farm and give his attention to agriculture until 1893, when he removed to Tamora, where he now makes his home and is interested in the hardware business with his son. In Scott county, Iowa, he was married in 1860 to Miss Mary J. Williams, a daughter of David and Susan (Thompson) Williams. Her father was born in Ireland in 1809 and came to the United States about 1822. Mr. and Mrs. Calder became the parents of two children: J. M., of this sketch; and Nettie, now the wife of E. S. McWhinney, of Alliance, Nebraska.

      J. M. Calder received his education in the schools of Iowa and Seward, Nebraska, having come to this state with his parents. He also followed farming until 1890, when he embarked in the hardware and general merchandise business in Tamora, under the firm style of McWhinney & Calder, but the following year his partner sold his interest and the firm has since been Calder & Calder. By fair and honorable dealing they have built up an excellent trade and won an enviable reputation in business circles. They are still interested in farming to some extent.

      On the 7th of July, 1897, was celebrated the marriage of J. M. Calder and Miss



Mamie G. Evans, a native of Illinois and a daughter of John and Louise Evans. They have one son, James M., born August 26, 1898. Mr. Calder holds membership in the Modern Woodmen of America, and in politics is a stalwart Democrat, taking an active interest in political affairs and efficiently serving as chairman of the central committee. 

Letter/label or barATRICK LARKIN.--A striking example of what can be accomplished by persistent industry and strict attention to business is afforded in the life of Patrick Larkin, one of the representative farmers and stock raisers of Morton township, York county, Nebraska. He is widely known as one of the pioneers of the county, and his name is a synonym for good fellowship. He was born in county Limerick, Ireland, in March, 1833, and is a son of John and Margaret (Nugent) Larkin. They were born in the same county as our subject, where they spent their entire lives. The father was a son of David Larkin, and he followed agricultural pursuits in his native land.

      Patrick Larkin was the youngest of a family of three children and is the only survivor, as one brother died in St. Louis, Missouri, and his sister died in Ireland. He was reared and educated in Ireland, where he resided until he was twenty years of age. In 1853 he came to Toronto, Canada, and made that place his home for eight years, engaged in railroading and farming. In i86 j he came to the United States, settling first at Port Huron, Michigan, where he resided for two years, and then took up his residence in Kalamazoo, of the same state. In 1874 he came west and landed at Fairmont, from whence he drove over to York county, Nebraska, where he purchased a piece of railroad land, upon which he erected a sod house. He later built a very fine frame residence, which is one of the best in the county. He has followed general farming and stock raising, in which by careful and economical management he succeeded in amassing a comfortable fortune.

      He was married in 1855 to Miss Catharine McCarthy, who was a native of county Cork, Ireland. They are the parents of eight children, seven of whom are now living, four sons and three daughters, viz: John, deceased, Michael, Daniel, Margaret, now Mrs. White, Richard, Ellen and Mary. Mrs. Larkin died in this county in 1893. The family are all members of the Catholic church. Politically our subject is a stanch adherent to the principles of the Democratic party. He possesses many estimable traits of character, is endowed with activity, persistency and a capacity for well directed labor, which have placed him in the vanguard of the prosperous farmers of the vicinity. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM ALEXANDER HAGUE, who occupies an influential and prominent position among the agricultural population of Butler county, has his homestead on section , Linwood township. He has not only been identified with the farming interests of the community, but was also for several years one of the leading educators of the county.

     Mr. Hague was born in Holmes county, Ohio, but at an early age was taken to Wayne county, that state, by his parents, Aaron and Ruth (Culbertson) Hague. His grandfather, William Hague, with his family, had removed from Pennsylvania to Ohio at an early day, and the Culbertsons were also Ohio people. By occupation the maternal grandfather of our subject was a blacksmith. When about seven or eight years of age, William A. Hague, who was the oldest child of the family, was taken by his parents to DeKaIb county, Indiana, where the mother still continued to make

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller