NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



her home. The father, who was a native of Fayette county, Pennsylvania, died when our subject was sixteen years of age.

      William A. Hague began his education in the common schools of northeastern Indiana, and later attended the Literary Institute in Stuben county, that state. After his removal to Branch county, Michigan, in April, 1857, he became a student in Hillsdale College, that state, and after leaving school he engaged in farming and teaching in that locality until the fall of 1865. In that year he married Miss Lida B. Rollins, a native of Portland, Maine, and a daughter of Sylvanus Rollins. Three children were born of this union: William Emerson, now a resident of Brainard, Nebraska; Susan R., now Mrs. Theodore C. Figge, of Chadron, this state; and Charles, who was adopted by F. C. and Sarah Johnson. The wife and mother died December 9, 1876, at the birth of her younger son. Mr. Hague was again married, March 20, 1878, his second union being with Mrs. Caddie McFarland, née Baldwin, by whom he has one daughter, Bertha L.

      The winter after his first marriage, Mr. Hague continued to engage in teaching school in Branch county, Michigan, but the following spring removed to Oceana county, that state, where he made his home from 1866 until 1872, while he devoted his energies to farming, teaching and clerking in a store. Through Rev. Amos Dresser, he came to Nebraska in April, 1872, with the hopes of securing a home for himself and family, and while looking up a location he engaged in bridge building. In the spring of 1873 he was joined by his wife and children, and they settled on section 5, Linwood township (township 16, range 4). During his early residence here he was employed as principal of the David City schools and his name was prominently mentioned as candidate for the office of county superintendent of schools in Butler county. He has been prominently identified with public affairs, and is a recognized leader in the ranks of the local Republican organization. Fraternally he belongs to the Masonic Order, and religiously he is a charter member of the Linwood Congregatioial church, with which he is still connected. His life is exemplary in all respects and he has ever supported those interests calculated to uplift and benefit humanity, while his own high moral worth is deserving of the highest commendation. 

Letter/label or barINCOLN CHESNUT, an energetic, enterprising and successful farmer residing on section 20, Geneva township, Fillmore county, was born in Logan county, Illinois, September 10, 1864, and is a son of Thomas J. and Margaret H. (Caldwell) Chesnut, the former born near Chilicothe, Ohio, the latter in Macoupin county, Illinois. They are still honored residents of Logan county. The father is a prosperous farmer and stock raiser of that county and is one of its leading and influential citizens, taking an active part in political affairs as a prominent member of the Republican party.

      Upon the home farm the subject of this sketch was reared to manhood, acquiring a good practical education in the common schools of the neighborhood. On attaining his majority he began life on his own account, and soon afterward, in the spring of 1886, came to Fillmore county, Nebraska, in company with his brother, Charles A. They located upon a farm in Geneva township, belonging to their father, and there our subject remained for two years. The following year he operated rented land, and then bought eighty acres, the nucleus of his present farm. To the original purchase he has added from time to time until he now owns two hundred and forty acres of excellent land, which he has placed under a



high state of cultivation. At the time of locating here the only buildings upon the place were a small house, i6 x 24 feet, and a corn crib, but he now has a more commodious and modern residence, good barns and substantial out-buildings, which add greatly to the value and attractive appearance of the place.

      On the 27th of June, 1889, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Chesnut and Miss Edwina Arrowsmith, who was born near Quincy, Illinois, and is a daughter of Thomas and Lucia (Williams) Arrowsmith, the former a native of New York, the latter of Ohio. Both parents are now deceased. Two children grace the union of Mr. and Mrs. Chesnut-Harry A. and Wallace L. The parents hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church at Geneva and Mr. Chesnut belongs to the Camp of Modern Woodmen of America at the same place. In his political affiliations he is a stanch Republican. 

Letter/label or barAMES LOGHRY, a well-known and honored citizen of Fillmore county, residing near the city of Geneva, has rounded the psalmist's span of three score years and ten, and although the snows of several winters have whitened his hair, he has the vigor of a much younger man, and in spirit and interests seems yet in his prime. Old age is not necessarily the synonym of weakness or inactivity, and Mr. Loghry is still identified with the agricultural and industrial interests of the county.

      He was born in Steuben county, New York, February 1, 1827, a son of John and Electa (Foster) Loghry. His paternal grandfather was William Loghry, and his great-garndfather (sic) bore the same name. The former, a native of Ireland, came to this country when a young man and located in the state of New York, where he married a lady of Irish birth, and there they continued to make their home throughout the remainder of their lives, the grandfather dying at the extreme age of one hundred and four years. He was a farmer by occupation, as were also his ancestors form any generations. The family was respresented in the war of 1812.

      James Loghry, of this review, remained on the home farm with his father until twenty years of age, and in the meantime attended the district schools as he found opportunity, but on account of the pressing work of the farm was unable to attend more than a few days each year. Later his father found him a place to learn the blacksmith's trade, at which he worked as a journeyman for two years. At the age of twenty-two years he became acquainted with Miss Lucy A. Cutler, who was teaching a district school in the neighborhood, and their friendship ripened into love. They were married January 10, 1850. She was born in Rutland, Vt., October 6, 1829, but when less than a year old was taken by her father to Worcester, Mass., and when she was seven the family removed to Orland, Ind., where the father died August 30, 1887, when in his eighty-fourth year. The Cutler family is of English origin and was founded in America by John Cutler, from whom Mrs. Loghry traces her ancestry through the following: Nathaniel, Nathaniel, Nathaniel, Simeon, Rev. Samuel, and John H., her father.

      After his marriage Mr. Loghry opened a blacksmith shop of his own in Branch county, Michigan, where he carried on business for three years, but later engaged in the operation of forty acres of land in connection with work at his trade. Removing to the village of Orland, Indiana, he engaged in the blacksmith business in partnership with a Mr. Carpenter, and then returned to farming, which he followed for four years. It was in 1865, (luring his residence in Orland, that he responded to the government's



call for more troops to help in putting down the Rebellion, enlisting for one year or dur- (sic) the war in Company K, One Hundred and Fifty-second Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and being mustered in March 16, 1865, but as the war soon afterward closed, he was discharged at Charleston, West Virginia, August 30, 1365, with the rank of corporal.

      Upon the return of peace, Mr. Loghry proceeded to his home in Indiana, and five days later had secured another shop and resumed business. A few months later he traded his entire property in the village for eighty acres of land, to which the family removed, but not succeeding in his farming operations, he built a shop upon his farm, and while the oats and corn were growing, kept the old anvil ringing. Four years later he again disposed of his property and started westward, landing in Fillmore county, Nebraska, March 12, 1871. Selecting a farm, he built a sod forge, covered his bellows with a canvas, and resumed work in the open air, pounding out the drill plowshares for the farmers who came from far and near to have work done. Here the honest blacksmith, with his hammer, sledge and strong right arm, has succeeded in making for himself and family a comfortable home, almost within sight of the place where he first unloaded his household goods on coming to this state. Many changes have since taken place, however, and the deer, elk, bison and nimble antelope have long since disappeared as the country became more thickly populated.

      To Mr. and Mrs. Loghry were born five children, namely: (1) Helen N. is the wife of Adam Huston, who lives three miles north of the old homestead, and they have seven children: James; Hugh, who married Viola Roylls; Ella and A. D., twins; Hattie; Pearl and Frank. (2) Leroy P. married Ida Platt and they live on a farm two miles from the old home. (3) Louisa A. is the wife of William H. Garret, who owns and operates a farm in Fillmore county, and they have seven children: Julia, Dora, Harry, Ida, Nellie, Amy and Hazel, who are all at home and are attending the district schools. (4) Jay, a resident of Wyoming, married Anna McPherson and they have one son, Frank. (5) The other child of our subject is deceased.

      Mr. Loghry cast his first presidential vote for John C. Fremont, and has since been an ardent supporter of the Republican party. He comes of a very patriotic and loyal family, in which four of the six sons were among the boys in blue during the Civil war and all lived to return to their homes. He was reared in the Methodist church, but is not connected with any religious denomination, while his wife is a member of the Congregational church of Geneva. They are widely and favorably known and have many friends throughout Fillmore county. 

Letter/label or barICHARD B. BRABHAM.--In the busy community located in the thriving village of Benedict, York county, we find several energetic and thorough-going business men, who have attained success through their own tact, good judgment and perseverance. Among the number is the gentleman whose name heads this biographical notice, and who is one of the leading grocers of the place. He is a native of Ohio, born in Washington county, October 30, 1845, and is a son of Enos and Catherine (Humphreys) Brabham, both natives of Virginia. The grandfather, John Brabham, was a prominent planter of the Old Dominion, and from that state removed to Ohio, spending his last days in Washington county. The parents of our subject, who were well-known farming people, also died in that state. They reared a family of ten children, four sons and six daughters.

      In his native state Richard B. Brabham



spent his boyhood and youth in much the usual manner of farmer boys of his day, assisting in the labors of the fields and attending the country schools when his services were not needed at home. In September, 1861, he donned the blue and went to the defense of his country as a member of Company H, Seventy-seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and among the engagements in which he participated was the famous battle of Shiloh. After two years of service, however, he was discharged on account of physical disability and returned to his home in Washington county, Ohio, where he remained until 1867. In that year he made a trip to Illinois, and subsequently visited other western and southern states, finally deciding to locate in York county. Nebraska. In 1871 he took up a homestead on section 28, Morton township, which he improved and cultivated until 1887, when he sold the place and moved to the village of Benedict. He was appointed its first postmaster, and most capably discharged the duties of that office for six years. He also opened a grocery store, and soon succeeded in building up a good trade, which he still enjoys, his patronage extending over a wide range of territory.

      On September 28th, 1872, Mr. Brabham led to the marriage altar Miss Martha Tapp, of Ohio, a daughter of Nathaniel and Harriet (Deacon) Tapp. To Mr. and Mrs. Brabham have been born two daughters, namely: Olie M. and Kittie C. Fraternally Mr. Brabham affiliates with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Ancient Order of United Workman; and politically is identified with the Democratic party, but has never been an aspirant for office, preferring to give his undivided attention to his business interests. In all transactions he has proved straightforward and reliable, and wins the confidence and respect of those with whom he comes in contact, either in business or in social life. 

Letter/label or barIRAM RODMAN is one of the well-to-do and substantial citizens of precinct K, of Seward county, and having commenced life with but small means, his financial position is ample evidence of the manner in which he has employed his time, and the good judgement of which he is the fortunate possessor. He has one of the best appointed homesteads in the township, and on account of his strict integrity and high character, is numbered among its most valued citizens.

      A native of Schoharie county, New York, Mr. Rodman was born July 1, 1827, and is a son of Asa and Olive (Culver) Rodman, who were born in Connecticut, but spent the greater part of their lives in the Empire state, where the father followed the occupation of farming until called to the world beyond. They reared a family of fourteen children--ten sons and four daughters. Our subject spent his boyhood and youth upon the home farm in New York, his education being obtained in the public schools of the neighborhood. He followed farming in his native state until the spring of r86, when he removed to Jackson county, Iowa, where he made his home until coming to Nebraska in 1872. He secured a homestead in K township, Seward county, adjoining his present farm, and erected thereon a sod house, in which the family lived for seven years, when it was replaced by a good frame residence. When he located here the Indians had not yet left this region and he saw many of them. He has steadily prospered in his new home, and is now the owner of an excellent farm of two hundred and forty acres, which he has placed under a high state of cultivation and improved with good buildings.

      On the 9th of November, 1851, in Delaware county, N. Y., Mr. Rodman was united in marriage with Miss Ethelinda A. Lyon, who was born in that state and is a daughter of Samuel and Catherine (Griggs)



Lyon, natives of Massachusetts. They are now the parents of three children: Ellen M., wife of W. B. Downs; Alonzo T. and Smith. The wife and mother is a sincere member of the United Brethren church and a most estimable lady. In his political views Mr. Rodman is a Democrat, and he has been honored with a number of township offices, and has also served as a member of the central committee of his party and in school offices. 

Letter/label or barOBERT W. READ.--Prominent among the representative citizens and respected and influential men of Morton township, York county, is found the subject of this biographical notice, who owns a fine farm of 240 acres. It is well improved and highly cultivated, and shows conclusively that the owner has not mistaken his calling in adopting agriculture.

      Mr. Read was born March 4, 1843, in Clearfield county, Pa., in which state his parents, Josiah and Mary (Wrigley) Read, spent their entire lives, engaged in agricultural pursuits. The grandfather, Thomas Read, was of Scotch descent, and was also a resident of Pennsylvania. In that state our subject grew to manhood and attended school when his services were not needed at home. At an early age he became quite familiar with the occupations of lumbering and farming, which he continued to follow in the east until 1879, which year witnessed his arrival in York county, Neb. Of the railroad company he purchased his present farm, which was then a tract of wild prairie land, entirely unimproved. He commenced at once to break the land, and soon acre after acre had been placed under the plow. To general farming and stock raising he still devotes his time and attention, and in his operations has met with a well-merited success.

      Before leaving Pennsylvania, Mr. Read was married, in 1871, to Miss Eliza Lytle, a sister of Mrs. Robert Lytle, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this work. To them have been born seven children, as follows: Verne R., Vergie E., Hugh L., Kate M., Mary, Josiah R. and Idilla. In the exercise of his elective franchise Mr. Read is not bound by party lines, but votes independently. He has been an active and efficient member of the school board for nineteen years, but aside from this he has never accepted office, his entire time being given to his farming interests. Socially he is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. 

Letter/label or barENRY W. NIPPERT, a leading and representative farmer of Fillmore county, Nebraska, is successfully engaged in the prosecution of his chosen calling on section 27, Bell Prairie township. He was born in Baraboo, Wisconsin, April 15, 1851, and is a son of George and Sarah (Hussinger) Nippert, natives of Germany, who emigrated to the new world when young and were married in Ohio, where they commenced life in limited circumstances upon a farm. Later they removed to Wisconsin, and as they had prospered to some extent they were able to purchase a farm, on which they reared their family of nine children, six of whom are still living, namely: Michael, Henry W., Jacob, Charles, Elizabeth and Emma. Finally, after the children were able to provide for themselves, the parents sold their farm in Wisconsin and moved to Pottawattamie county, Iowa, where in retirement from active labor they spent their remaining years upon a farm, enjoying a well-earned rest. The father died at the age of seventy-seven years, the mother at the age of seventy-five, and they now sleep side by side in a cemetery in Shelby county, Iowa. By all who knew them they were held in high regard,



and their friends were many. Their children, with the exception of our subject and Michael, who is a resident of Wisconsin, all make their home in Iowa.

      In the common schools of Wisconsin Henry W. Nippert obtained his education; when twenty-three years old he moved with his parents to Pottawattamie county, Iowa, where he was married five years later, February 18, 1880, to Miss Augustina Grone, who was born in Honey Creek, Sauk county, Wisconsin, September 22, 1856. Her parents, John F. and Wilhelmina (Albertus) Grone, were also natives of the fatherland, and emigrated with their respective parents to America, the former at the age of fourteen, the latter at the age of nine. They were united in marriage in Wisconsin and to them were born fourteen children, of whom eight are still living, namely: Augustina, Frederick, Paulina, Arthur, William, George, Joseph and Matilda, all of whom are now living in Nebraska. Several years ago three of the children removed to Furnas county, Nebraska, but, preferring this section of the state, they returned thither, where they are now comfortably situated. Mr. and Mrs. Grone are now living retired in Bruning, Nebraska, at the ages of seventy-five and sixty-four years, respectively, and enjoy good health. Here they are surrounded by loving children and a host of warm friends. Mr. and Mrs. Nippert have an interesting family of five children: John, Oscar, Warde, Joseph and Pearl.

      Our subject and his wife began their domestic life upon a rented farm for one year, when he purchased one hundred and twenty acres of raw land for nine dollars per acre, and to the improvement and cultivation of that place he devoted his time and attention until the spring of 1887, when he sold it for twenty eight dollars per acre. He then brought his family to Fillmore county, Nebraska, and in Belle Prairie township he purchased one hundred and sixty acres at sixteen dollars and fifty cents. It was only partially improved, and the only buildings standing thereon were a very small house and a smaller straw stable, but the place is now under a high state of cultivation and improved with good and substantial buildings, which stand as monuments to his thrift and industry, for he has worked hard to make it one of the best farms of the locality. It is all conveniently arranged in modern style and testifies t9 the enterprising and progressive spirit of the owner, who is recognized as one of the most thorough and skillful farmers of the community. Both he and his wife are held in high regard by all who have the pleasure of their acquaintance. 

Letter/label or barLARENCE H. POST.--Perhaps no man in all York county is so well known for his intelligence, active public spirit and thorough appreciation of the wants of his locality as the gentleman whose name heads this article. He came to the county at an early day, and has since been identified with all matters pertaining to the improvement and upbuilding of the better interests of Thayer township, in which he makes his home. His active participation in the public affairs has not been confined to his own township, but he has thoroughly acquainted himself and has been associated in all matters relating to the affairs of the entire county.

      Mr. Post is a son of John T. and Elizabeth A. (Chapin) Post, who were both natives of New York, and they settled in Illinois in 1853. The father followed the occupation of farming in Illinois until 1883, at which time he removed to Stromsburg, Nebraska, where they remained for awhile, and then removed to California, where Mr. Post now makes his home, his wife having died August 14, 1898. John T. Post was a son of Daniel Post, a native of New York,



who later removed to Illinois in i856, and from there he moved to Kansas. He died in Spring Hill county, of the above named state in 1885, having been the father of three sons. John T. Post is a veteran of the late war, he having served three years and nine months. He was a member of company D, One Hundred and Fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and held the rank of lieutenant. He was wounded in the head at the battle of Peach Tree Creek, and fought with great gallantry at Missionary Ridge "That far-famed battle above the clouds;" Chickamauga, and Lookout Mountain. He also accompanied Sherman on his famous march to the sea. He was the father of three sons, now living, our subject being the only one who resides in York county.

      Clarence H. Post was born in La Salle county, Illinois, on February 2, 1857. He was reared and received his education in his native state, and began farming at an early age. He followed agricultural pursuits in Illinois until 1880, when he settled in York county, Nebraska, where he purchased a farm in Thayer township, and has resided continuously ever since. He has given special attention to stock raising, and has had unparalleled success, as he feeds from three hundred to five hundred head every year.

      Mr. Post was united in marriage to Miss Carrie E. Carr, a daughter of Nathan S. and Adelia (Hodgaboom) Carr, who were natives of New Hampshire and New York, respectively. The mother came to Illinois when an infant and still resides there, but the father, who came to that state in an early day, died there in 1891. The marriage ceremony of our subject was performed in 1880, and to this union have been born three children, two of whom, Edith P. and Margie, are now living, and one son, Elmer P., who is dead.

      Mr. Post is a member of the Modern Woodmen, and in his political belief he is a stanch supporter of the principles of the Republican party. Being a man of excellent business qualifications and a character of the highest order, he has frequently been called upon to occupy various official positions. He has served for several years as district and township supervisor, and in every instance he has proven his efficiency by the able manner in which he administered the affairs of his office. He is now the chairman of the Republican county central committee, and is rapidly winning popularity for his rare fidelity and great executive ability. He has been very successful in all of his undertakings and enjoys the respect and confidence of all to whom he is known. 

Letter/label or barRICK JACOBS, one of the well-known residents and business men of Staplehurst, was born in northern Germany, May 15, 1856. His parents, Peter C. and Gardma (Peters) Jacobs, were both natives of Germany, and came to this country in 1855. They journeyed straight to this county, to spend the balance of their days in Staplehurst. The father died in 1893, and the mother is still living. They had two sons and four daughters. Erick and two of his sisters have their home in Seward county.

      The subject of this article was reared and educated in Germany, attending the common and navigation schools. He was also a student at an English school for three years, and was very well prepared for the practical duties of life. In 1872 he came to this country, landing in New York, and making his way immediately to Chicago. There he worked as a painter for four years, but, wearying of the noise and confusion of the great city, he sought a more peaceful scene, and found it in farming. To this occupation the rest of his life has been de-



voted. In 1880 he came to Seward county and purchased a farm and dwelt on it for two years. In 1882, in company with Peder Nelson, he engaged in the business of operating a grain elevator. This yielded such profitable returns that he was able, in 1886, with Mr. Jorgenson as his partner, to purchase the Bank of Staplehurst. He took the place of cashier until the death of his associate. That unfortunate event made necessary a re-arrangement of the bank officials, and he is now its president.

      In 1880 he entered into marriage relations with Miss Maria Fuchs, a native of Illinois, and a sister of Mrs. Nelson, who is now deceased. They have two sons and two daughters, William C., Anna E., Peter D. and Margaret, and have had no deaths in their family. He is a German Lutheran, and is an Independent in his politics. He has been township treasurer, and is a citizen who is highly thought of, not only for his shrewd business abilities, but greatly liked for his personal character. 

Letter/label or barOHN FITZSIMONS.--"Excellence encourages all life in general," says that thoughtful observer, George Eliot. This saying is true even in the case of that careful discharge of duty which leads to well-doing in worldly enterprises, but the life which reveals religious ardor and suggests the uplifting force of consecrated purpose does indeed demonstrate to humanity new and lofty possibilities. The life of Mr. Fitzsimons is a constant source of inspiration to those who see his zealous work in advancing the cause of religion as a local minister of the Methodist church. Since the spring of 1869 he has made his home on section 24, Bone Creek township, Butler county, and has since been prominently identified with the material as well as the moral development of this region.

      Mr. Fitzsimons was born on the 14th of August, 1825, in county Longford, Ireland, and is the oldest child in the family of Thomas and Elizabeth (Pope) Fitzsimons. In his native land he was reared and educated, remaining there until he attained his majority. It was in 1847 that he accompanied his parents on their emigration to the United States, and took up his residence in Muscatine, Iowa, where he was engaged in merchandising for several years. Owing to failing health he was forced to abandon that business and decided to turn his attention to agricultural pursuits. Through a friend, James McBride, who had come to Nebraska, two years before Mr. Fitzsimons learned of Butler county, and being favorably impressed with the account he had received, he removed here in the spring of 1869. The Indians at that time were quite troublesome, but they took kindly to the family of our subject. His first home in Butler county was a rude dug-out, where he lived in true pioneer style, experiencing all the hardships incident to life on the frontier.

      On the 3d of May, 1859, Mr. Fitzsimons was united in marriage with Miss Nancy Moss, a native of Dearborn county, Indiana, and a daughter of Harvey and Elizabeth (Stevens) Moss. The father was born in Massachusetts, of German ancestry, while the mother was born in Nova Scotia, of Scotch-Irish parentage. He was a wealthy farmer and also a local preacher, who was widely and favorably known in Muscatine, Iowa, and vicinity. Mr. and Mrs. Fitzsimons have a family of six children: Thomas Emmet; Dr. Albert Pope, now assistant surgeon of Third Nebraska Volunteer Infantry; Dr. Samuel V., now acting hospital steward in regular United States service at Jacksonville, Florida; Orlando; Jessie M. and George A. The parents were members of the first Methodist church established in Butler county, it being organized by S. V. Van Duser in the winter of 1869, and have always taken a



leading and active part in all church and benevolent work, Mr. Fitzsimons having served as a local preacher for several years. Their lives have been characterized by deeds of kindness, and their sterling worth and many excellencies of character have been justly appreciated by their many friends. 

Letter/label or barAMUEL G. PHEASANT.--Polk county has no more popular or honored citizen than Mr. Pheasant, the well-known grain dealer of Osceola. There are in every community men of great force of character and exceptional ability who, by reason of their capacity for leadership, become recognized as foremost citizens and bear a most important part in the development and progress of that locality with which they are connected. Such a man is our subject, who was born in Jefferson county, Iowa, July 17, 1846, a son of John and Margaret (Garrett) Pheasant, the former a native of Hagerstown, Maryland, the latter of Pennsylvania. The paternal grandfather, John Pheasant, Sr., was born in this country, of English ancestry. The parents of our subject were married, in Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania, but as early as 1839 emigrated to Jefferson county, Iowa, being numbered among its first settlers. By trade the father was a blacksmith, but after coming west improved a farm and devoted his energies principally to agricultural pursuits. He died in April, 1864, and his wife, who was an earnest member of the Methodist church, passed away in June, 1857. In the family of this worthy couple were nine children, of whom eight reached man and womanhood, namely: Harrison, who was a member of the Second California cavalry in the Civil war, and died in 1873; Alexander, deceased; Mrs. Louisa Montgomery, a resident of Jefferson county, Iowa; Alwilda, deceased; Charles, who was a soldier of Company K, Seventh Iowa Volunteer Infantry; Samuel G., of this sketch; Mrs. Luella Courtney, of Osceola, Nebraska, and William.

      On the old homestead in Iowa, Samuel G. Phesant grew to manhood amidst pioneer scenes, and is indebted to the schools of that locality for his educational privileges. On leaving home, in the spring of 1866, he went to Colorado, where he worked in a mill, engaged in teaming, and followed other occupations until the fall of 1868, when he returned to Iowa. The spring of 1872 found him a resident of Polk county, Nebraska, having taken up the southeast quarter of section 14, township 13, range 2 west, all wild prairie land, with no improvements. He had come with a party to this section, and lived in a little sod-house upon his place while he turned his attention to its improvement and cultivation. The second year his crops were destroyed by the grasshoppers, and in 1874 he removed to the town of Osceola, where he has since made his home, with the exception of two years spent in California. In 1883 he embarked in the grain business as a member of the firm of Blowers & Pheasant; two years later they built a mill, and carried on operations together until 1886, when our subject sold out and bought grain for others until 1887. The following two years were spent in California, returning to Osceola at the end of that time and resuming the grain business in the fall of 1892. He is an enterprising, reliable business man, who has the confidence and respect of all with whom he comes in contact, either in business or social life.

      Mr. Pheasant was married in November, 1875, to Mrs. Sarah J. (Stewart) Boatright, who was born in Highland county, Ohio, February 26, 1849. Hef parents were James and Louisa (Carr) Stewart, the former of Scotch and the latter of English extraction. From Ohio they moved to Macon county, Missouri, later to Jasper county, Iowa, and in 1871 came to Polk



county, Nebraska, settling in Stromsburg precinct. The mother is now deceased, but the father is still living and now makes his home in Osceola, He is an honored veteran of the Civil war. To Mr. and Mrs. Pheasant were born six children: Harrison Dale, deceased; Leon Ray; Nellie Gray; Gracie Ellen; Charles, deceased; and Louisa Luella. The wife and mother is a devoted member of the Methodiest (sic) church, and a most estimable lady.

      Mr. Pheasant takes quite an active interest in civic societies and is an honored member of the Masonic fraternity, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of the Maccabees, the Home Forum, and the Business Men's Fraternity. The Republican party has always found in him a stanch supporter of its principles, and he has rendered effective service in its interest. In 1873 he was elected sheriff of Polk county, and so ably and satisfactorily did he perform the duties of that office, that he was four times re-elected, serving in all ten years. At one of these elections he received every vote cast in the county with the exception of one, a fact which plainly indicates his popularity, and the confidence and trust reposed in him by his fellow citizens. Subsequently he was the candidate of his party for county treasurer, but was defeated. He has been a member of the town board of Osceola for two terms, and his public, as well as his private life, is alike above reproach. As a citizen he meets every requirement and manifests a commendable interest in everything that is calculated to promote the city's welfare in any line. 

Letter/label or barOHN J. WALKER was one of the early settlers of Union township, Butler county, the date of his settlement being the fall of 1869, and has been one of the conspicuous men in the development and growth of the community and the organization and establishment of the business interests of the town of Garrison. He was born in Highland county, Ohio, February 9, 1845, a son of Alexander Walker, also a native of the state of Ohio and a farmer by occupation. Our subject's grandfather, John Walker, migrated from Rockbridge county, Virginia, and located the homestead in Ohio, where our subject was born. Alexander Walker was married in Ohio to Miss Louisa Johnston, daughter of Abner Johnston, a relative of General Joseph E. Johnston.

     John J. Walker, the subject of this sketch, is the oldest son in his father's family. He was reared in Highland county, and from there he answered the call of the government for volunteers to aid in its defense at the time of the Rebellion in 1861. He was a mere boy of seventeen years when he enlisted in Company F, Sixtieth Ohio Infantry, in November, 1861. He served under General Fremont in the Shenandoah Valley, driving Stonewall Jackson out of that valley and following him to Harrisonburg and Cross Keys, Virginia, and then returned to Winchester, Virginia. From there the army retreated to Harper's Ferry, and there our subject was taken prisoner, paroled and sent to Camp Douglas, Chicago, Illinois, and was there discharged at the expiration of the term of his enlistment. He then returned to his home in Ohio and remained until January 1, 1866, and then enlisted in the Third Battalion, Eighteenth United States Infantry and was sent to Saint Louis, Missouri, where the regiment was organized. In the spring of 1866 the regiment, consisting of three battalions of nine companies each, was sent to Leavenworth, Kansas, and from thence marched across the plains, the company to which our subject belonged stopping at Fort Sedgwick, now Julesburg. Mr. Walker was a corporal and also served as acting commis-

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller