NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



Picture button




sary sergeant until the spring of 1867, when. he was placed on detached service as an escort to the surveying corps of the Union Pacific Railroad company. Later in the fall of 1867 he was sent to Fort Sanders, where he did garrison duty until the following spring and then went to Fort Bridges, Wyoming, until January, 1860, the expiration of his term of enlistment.

      During his service in the United States army, Mr. Walker saw much of the western country and was favorably enough impresed (sic) with it that, after his return to his home in Ohio, he was easily persuaded to move to and settle in the state of Nebraska by his brother, Thomas A. Walker, who, with several of his neighbors, had sold his interest in the native state and gone to Nebraska. Thomas Walker, having located a few years previously, had taken one hundred and sixty acres between the Union Pacific and the Burlington & Missouri River grants, but when our subject arrived, this was all taken and he had to go inside of the railroad grant and file a homestead claim to the north half of the northeast quarter of section 22, township 14, range 2. After he had lived on this claim for two years, Congress passed a law allowing discharged soldiers to add to their original claims enough to aggregate one hundred and sixty acres. Under this law he secured an additional eighty acres, the north half of the southeast quarter of section 8, township 14, range 2. Being unmarried, he lived on his claim in a sod house until 1875. He then moved to Garrison, which had just been located, and began to buy grain and later engaged in the mercantile business in partnership with Mr. C. H. Sargent, under the firm name of Sargent & Walker, and they built and conducted the first store in Garrison. Our subject later sold out his interest in the store and entered into the lumber business in partnership with Charles A. Harvey & Company, and was thus engaged until 1890.

      He then severed his connection with this firm to accept the office of county treasurer of Butler county, which the citizens of that county had seen fit to bestow upon him. After the expiration of his term of four years, he returned to his farm on section 20, Union township, where he now resides. Since then he has been engaged in farming and grain and stock buying, and is now buying grain for the Trans-Mississippi Grain Company, at Millerton.

      In 1881, while in partnership with Mr. C. H. Sargent in the mercantile business at Garrison, our subject was united in marriage to Miss Mary Schafer, of Phillipsburg, New Jersey, whom he met while she was visiting her sister, Mrs. Meacham, of Butler county, living near Garrison. To this union have been born a bright, interesting family of five children, upon whom they have seen fit to bestow the following names: Louisa, Ida, John Matthias, Helena and Olive. Mr. Walker is a Royal Arch Mason, his membership being with the Chapter. He is also a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and of the A. Lincoln post, No. 10, Grand Army of the Republic. In politics he is a Democrat. His many friends will be gratified to find a portrait of Mt. Walker in connection with this sketch. 

Letter/label or barETER EHLERS.--The gentleman whose name stands at the head of this sketch is one of the pioneers of Thayer township, York county, who, by developing a good farm from the wild prairie land, has materially aided in its growth. He is meeting with a well-deserved success in his calling, and his fine, well-ordered farm, which is pleasantly situated on section 23, with its carefully cultured fields, its neat buildings, and all their surroundings, denote the skillful management, industry and well-directed labors of the owner.

      Mr. Ehlers is a native of Germany, born



in the province of Hanover, December 1, 1849, and is a son of Luetje and Margaret (Fisher) Ehlers, who were natives of the same province. The family emigrated to the United States in 1868 and first settled in Wisconsin, where our subject found employment in the pine woods for ten years. In 1878 he came to York county, Nebraska, and bought a quarter section of railroad land on section 23, Thayer township, to the cultivation and improvement of which he at once turned his attention and upon which he built the first house on the section. The following year he was joined by his father and mother. Here the former made his home until called to his final rest in 1886. The mother is still living.

      In 1868, in Wisconsin, was celebrated the marriage of Peter Ehlers and Emma Cornell, also, native of the Fatherland, and they have become the parents of ten children, all still living, namely: Margaret, Louie, Hannah, Peter, Frederick, William, Emma, George. Mary O. and Elfie V. Mr. and Mrs. Ehlers and theis (sic) family are communicants of the Lutheran church, and are widely and favorably known throughout the county. His political support is always given the Democracy, and in 1891 and in 1892 he filled the office of supervisor of his township, with credit to himself and to the entire satisfaction of all concerned. He is justly numbered among the self-made men of the county, for he has been the architect of his own fortunes and has builded wisely and well. 

Letter/label or barOSEPH P. MOOR owns and occupies a farm of one hundred and sixty acres on section 13, Belle Prairie township, Fillmore county, Nebraska. As an honest man and a good citizen, pursuing the even tenor of his way and giving his strict attention to his own concerns, he is contributing in an unobtrusive manner to the development of his township, and augmenting its attractions as a desirable place of residence for an enterprising and intelligent class of people. He has effected all of the improvements which we see to-day upon his place, and which in their character speak in a forcible manner of his industry and perservance.

      Mr. Moor was born in Cedar county, Iowa, February 14, 1857, and is a son of J. W. Moor, who was born in Ohio, July 5, 1826, and was educated in that state. In early life the latter married Miss Mary Ann Humphrey, also a native of Ohio, born in Columbiana county, December 25, 1830. During pioneer days they removed to Cedar county, Iowa, where at the outbreak of the Civil war the father enlisted in Company C, Twenty-fourth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and after three years of arduous and faithful service on southern battle fields he was honorably discharged. He then returned to his family. He was called from this life June 13, 1886, at the age of sixty years, his remains being interred in the cemetery at Buckley, Iroquois county, Illinois. He was a true and earnest Christian, a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and was held in high esteem by all who knew him. The wife and mother is also a devout and faithful member of that church. Her children--Francis L. died in infancy; William M resides in Colorado, John H., Joseph P., Mary L. in Illinois; James W., Marion W., George W., Harry F. and America A., all of whom are now residents of Nebraska. Marion W. and George W. are soldiers in the volunteer service of the United States at Manila--Marion W. in Company F, First Idaho Infantry, George W. in Company F, First Colorado Infantry.

      The early education of Joseph P. Moor was acquired in the common schools, but that was supplemented by seven months at Grand Prairie Seminary, and at the age of nineteen years commenced teaching school, a profession which he successfully followed



for two years. He then went to Colorado, and worked in the mining regions for about eight years. On the 12th of October, 1881, he was united in marriage with Miss Rachel W. Perry, a native of Logan county, Illinois, who died in Colorado, December 21, 1881, after a brief married life of fourteen months, and her remains were taken, by our subject, back to Pike county, Illinois, and interred beside her mother. He returned to Colorado, and in 1886 was called to Illinois by the serious illness of his father, who died shortly after his arrival.

      In the spring of 1887, Mr. Moor came to Nebraska and rented a farm, which he operated for some time, his mother acting as his housekeeper. Subsequently he again spent a short time in Colorado, but since then has made his home uninterruptedly in this state. On section 13, Belle Prairie township, Fillmore county, Nebraska, he purchased his present farm, consisting of one hundred and sixty acres of fine prairie land, pleasantly located only a short distance from Ohiowa. He has placed the land under a high state of cultivation and made many improvements thereon, so that it is now one of the best farms in the locality.

      Mr. Moor was again married, March 25, 1891, his second union being with Miss Pauline Grone, who was then living in Belle Prairie township, whither her parents had moved from Iowa. She was born in Wisconsin, November 10, 1859, and was educated in the common schools of that state and Iowa. She learned the trade of dressmaking and followed that occupation for several years. Her father, John F. Grone, was born in Bremen, Germany, October 14, 1823. Mrs. Moor's father began his education in the schools of his native city, and after coming to the United States, in 1837, he attended the Duquesne street school, New York city, where he became familiar with the English language. After leaving school he learned the tailor's trade and followed that occupation while he remained in New York. From the east he removed to Wisconsin at an early day and there followed farming. He was a successful farmer and stock raiser and for twenty-five consecutive years held office in his township. On the 26th of December, 1849, he wedded Miss Wilhelmina Albertus, a daughter of Carl H. and Christina (Becker) Albertus, also natives of Germany. Mr. and Mrs. Grone are now living retired in Bruning, Nebraska, and are highly esteemed by a large circle of friends and acquaintances, who appreciate their sterling worth and many excellencies of character. Religiously they are members of the German Evangelical Association. Their children are Johanna Carolina, Christina Augustine, John F., Paulina A., wife of our subject; Mary M., Arthur U., Wilhelm H., George W. and Franz J.

      Mr. and Mrs. Moor have three very bright, loving children, namely: Wilson Frederick, Russell Albertus and Mary Hazel. The parents are both faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal church, with which they have been connected for several years. Socially, Mr. Moor is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and politically is identified with the Republican party. He served as supervisor of Belle Prairie township in 1894 and 1895, and his duties, both public and private, have always been most faithfully, and conscientiously performed. He and his wife are both widely and favorably known, and are very popular and influential in the circle in which they move. 

Letter/label or barHARLES P. STEPHENSON, a representative and prominent agriculturist of precinct F, Seward county, is a veteran of the Civil war and bears an honorable record for brave service in the cause of freedom




and union, and in the paths of peace he has also won an enviable reputation through the sterling qualities which go to the making of a good citizen.

      Mr. Stephenson is a native of Illinois, his birth occurring in Madison county, August 2, 1842. His parents, Preston B. and Nancy (Ready) Stephenson, were born in Kentucky and Virginia respectively. They removed to Illinois at an early day, and there spent the remaining years of their lives. They reared a family of six children, four sons and two daughters. The paternal grandfather, Robert Stephenson, was a native of Kentucky. The father died December 24, 1881, and the mother passed away July 28th, 1883.

      The subject of this sketch, who was the only one of the family to come to Nebraska, grew to manhood in Illinois, his education being obtained in a primitive log schoolhouse. At an early age he began to assist in the labors of the home farm, and continued to engage in agricultural pursuits until he attained the age of twenty years. In August, 1862, however, he donned the blue and offered his services to his country, becoming a member of Company D, One Hundred and Seventeenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He took part in the battles of Queen's Hill, Fort Dursia, Pleasant Hill, Clouterville, Lousiana, Marksville Plains, Yellow Bayou, Lake Chicot, Arkansas, Tupelo, Mississippi, Old Town Creek and Hurricane Creek, Mississippi, Franklin, Missouri, Nashville, Tennessee, and the siege of Spanish Fort and Fort Blakely. Though in many hotly contested battles he was never wounded, and when hostilities ceased he was honorably discharged August 5, 1865, with the rank of sergeant, which he had won by meritorious conduct on field of battle.

      Returning to his Illinois home, Mr. Stephenson remained there until the fall of 1868, when he removed to Logan county, the same state. He lived there until 1883, which year witnessed his arrival in Seward county, Nebraska, where he bought the farm on which he has since resided. It now consists of four hundred acres under a high state of cultivation and improved with good buildings, which stand as monuments to his thrift and enterprise. He has never regretted his removal to this state and has an abiding faith in its future welfare. In his political affiliations he is a Republican, and fraternally he is an honored member of the Grand Army of the Republic.

      On the 24th of October, 1867, as celebrated the marriage of Mr. Stephenson and Miss Susan S. Sisson, who was born in Illinois, and is a daughter of John W. and Martha J. (Eaton) Sisson, the former a native of Virginia, the latter of Kentucky. Mr. and Mrs. Stephenson have become the parents of four sons, namely: Charles I., Oscar H., Thomas B. and Ralph N., all living. Mrs. Stephenson's great-grandfather, was Henry Eaton, a native of Wales, born in 1750; was a soldier in the Revolutionary war and settled in Philadelphia in 1773, and died in 1782. The grandfather of our subject was Robert Stephenson, a native of Kentucky, who removed to Waynesville, Illinois, and died at that place. He was a farmer and stock raiser. He married Miss Harrison, a cousin of William Henry Harrison. He raised thirteen children and gave the most of them a college education, and some of them entered the ministry and others practiced medicine and law. His maternal grandfather was Charles Ready, who was a son of Charles and Mary (Robinson) Ready. They were natives of Virginia. His wife was Sarah Mason and her parents were Gilbert and Sarah (Dale) Mason. Gilbert Mason died about 1776, aged fifty years.

      Mrs. Stephenson's paternal great-great-grandfather was Bryant Sisson, a native of England, and died in 1771. His son, Caleb Sisson, came to the United States and



settled in Botetourt county, Virginia. He in turn had five sons, three of whom were in the American Revolution. His son Abner was the grandfather of Mrs. Stephenson. He had two sons; one of these, John W., moved to Kentucky with his mother in about 1825, but died in Illinois, December 27, 1886. Mrs. Stephenson's maternal grandfather was Thomas Eaton, a native of Pennsylvania; he was born in 1780, and died in Madison county, Illinois, in 1849. He married Sarah King. They had three sons and three daughter that grew to man and womanhood. 

Letter/label or barNDREW KING, one of the most prosperous and wealthy citizens of Belle Prairie township, his home being on section 14, has through his own exertions attained an honorable position and marked prestige among the representative agriculturists of Fillmore county, and with signal consistency it may be said that he is the architect of his own fortunes and one whose success amply justifies the application of the somewhat hackneyed but most expressive title, "a selfmade man."

      Mr. King was born in Bloomfield, Pickaway county, Ohio, in 1838, and is a son of Andrew King, Sr., a native of France, who when a young man emigrated to America and here married Miss Magdalena Hook. To them were born five children, but only three are now living: Elizabeth, Augustus and Andrew. Our subject received only a limited common-school education, as his father died when he was young and he was early thrown upon his own resources for a livelihood. He went to Illinois and there enlisted in the Union service for ninety days, subject to a three years' call, and when hostilities ceased he received an honorable discharge.

      At the close of the Civil war, Mr. King returned to Illinois, and there married Miss Amanda E. Gray, who died in the prime of life and was laid to rest in the Monticello cemetery, in that state. She was a devoted wife and affectionate mother, and left a family of five children, besides her husband, to mourn her loss. They are as follows: James E. married Louisa Davison and lives at Decatur, Illinois; Susan A. S. is the wife of William Coberley, of Sturges, Missouri; William E. is a successful teacher; Richard I. also taught school for some time, but is now a skilled dentist and artist, residing in Chicago; he married Daisy Means; and Sheldon C., a farmer.

      In Missouri, Mr. King was again married, March 23, 1887, his second union being with Miss Mary Josephine Regnold, a teacher of instrumental music, who was born in New Jersey, October 27, 1850, and was educated in Illinois. Her parents, Ambrose and Rosina (Cook) Regnold, the former a native of France and the latter a native of Germany, came to the United States and were married in New Jersey, where they purchased a small farm. Of the ten children born to them eight are still living, namely: Charles A.; William H.; Mary J., wife of our subject; Carolina; Mary Anna; Joseph A.; John M. and Ella B. From the east the parents removed to Platt county, Illinois, where the father purchased 160 acres of land and engaged in farming and working at the mason's trade. He died at at the age of fifty-eight years, but the mother is still living on the old homestead in that county at the age of seventy-four. Both were devoted Christians and were highly respected by all who knew them.

      Immediately after his second marriage, Mr. King came to Fillmore county, Nebraska, and on section 14, Belle Prairie township, he purchased a quarter section of land for $3,800. It was then only partially improved, but to its further development and cultivation he has since devoted his energies with most gratifying results. As



his financial resources have increased, he has extended the boundaries of his farm, until now he has 400 acres of the finest land in Belle Prairie township, all acquired through his own labor, economy and good management. He has made many excellent improvements upon his home farm the first quarter-section purchased-so that it is now valued at $8,000. Although amply able to lay aside all business cares and live retired, he is too energetic for so idle an existence and still continues to successfully manage his magnificent farm. Politically he is a stanch Democrat. He has won the admiration and esteem of all who know him by the success that he has achieved and by his upright, honorable life. 

Letter/label or barLETCHER DEAL, manager of the Fillmore County Poor Farm, was born December 7, 1855, in Jackson county, Ohio. He was reared in that county, and received his education in the common schools, and acquired such an education as the meager advantages of the schools afforded, but as he was of a practical turn, he managed to fit himself in a fair way for the struggle with the world. He remained in Ohio until 1876, when he went to Peoria, Illinois, and after a two-years' stay in that place came to Fillmore county, in November, 1878. On his arrival here he at first started working by the month on a farm, but later rented a farm and started farming on his own account. He remained here for some time, but finally removed to Illinois, but on December 7, 1882, he again returned to Fillmore county, and after a stay of a few years, in 1885 moved, with his family, to Sheridan county, Kansas, and there purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land, paying $1,000 for it. He soon became dissatisfied with life in Kansas, and came back to Fillmore county and was elected as overseer of the poor farm in 1889 and also in 1890. He held this position until 1892, when he was retired. He removed to Gosper county, Nebraska, and there bought a farm of one hundred and sixty acres of raw land and paid $1,600 for it.

      After living on this farm for three years, by request of the board of supervisors of Fillmore county, he again came back and took charge of the institution, and since that time has had the same position. Under his successful management, the county farm, which consists of one hundred and sixty acres of land, has been well stocked and placed in a high state of cultivation. This institution, while under the supervision of Mr. Deal, is under direct control of the county board of supervisors. The home was started in 1878, and at different times has been under the management of the following people: Cyrus Macey, two years; A. D. Stephens, six years; J. C. Coburn, eighteen months; Elmer Vincent, eighteen months; O. D. Southerland, three years, and Fletcher Deal has held the office for eight years at different periods. On December 9, 1890, the main house was entirely destroyed by fire, but soon after was replaced by a more modern building. Our subject was the son of James and Nellie Ann (Watson) Deal, who were married in Ohio. To their union were born eight children, of which number Fletcher was the third. James Deal is still living, and is now residing in Peoria, now seventy years old, but the mother is dead, having lived to be forty-five years of age. On December 12, 1882, Mr. Deal was united in marriage to Miss Liddie L. Shreffler, who was a daughter of Edmund J. and Mary E. (Saylor) Shreffler, who were native of Pennsylvania, but who removed to Illinois, and later in 1870, removed to Fillmore county, and took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres, three miles west of Geneva, and upon which they have continued to live since that time. To them were born twelve



children, of whom Liddie L. was the sixth, and was born October 11, 1864. To the marriage of our subject there have been born five children: James, who is now fifteen years of age; William Anson, thirteen years of age; Aaron W., eight years of age; Mary Luella, who died at the age of three years; and Minnie Manilla Fayetta, six months of age. By his strict adherence to duty, by the careful management of the office entrusted to his care, Mr. Deal has won the respect of all who know him. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM PRICE.--It is quite interesting to observe, in noting the various members of a community, how they are gathered together from different countries, states and localities, and how well usually they combine to form an intelligent and prosperous community. The subject of this sketch is a native of Wales, born June 9, 1861, and is to-day one of the leading and prosperous agriculturists of New York township, York county. A sketch of his father, Benjamin Price, appears elsewhere in this volume.

      At the age of seven years William Price was brought by his parents to the United States, and for three years they made their home in Green county, Wisconsin, where he pursued his studies in the public schools. In the spring of 1872 the family came to York county, Nebraska, and the father took up a homestead in New York township, where our subject was reared to manhood amid pioneer scenes. When quite young he began herding cattle for his father, which occupation he continued to follow for four years, and then worked on the home farm until he attained the age of twenty-three years. The following four years he rented the place and continued to operate rented land for about ten years. In 1892 he purchased an eighty-acre farm in New York township, which he sold in the fall of 1897.

      He now lives on section 33, and is successfully engaged in general farming and stock raising.

      In York county, in 1885, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Price and Miss Sarah J. George, a daughter of Edward and Jane George, both natives of Wales, who, on coming to America, settled in Wisconsin, and in 1881 came to Nebraska. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Price are as follows: Annie O.; Minnie O., deceased; Charles William; Ray B.; Harold M., and Bessie J. The parents and children are all consistent members of the Church of God, and in his social relations Mr. Price is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. His political support is always given the men and measures of the Republican party, but he has never cared for the honors or emoluments of public office, preferring to give his undivided attention to his business interests. He has prospered in his business ventures and has also gained the good will and friendship of all with whom he has had business relations by his honorable dealing and courteous manner. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM WALLACE COX.--The subject of this sketch was born in Cattaraugus county, New York, November 12, 1832, and was named for the great Scottish chief. In 1835 his father and mother, Mordeci and Catherine Cox, removed to what was then the wilderness of Sangamon county, Illinois, and after a couple of months the father died, and the widowed mother soon moved with her children to Green county, Wisconsin, near Monroe, where she died in 1838 On her dying bed gave young William to the care of James Hawthorn, a wealthy and respected neighbor, with whom he lived until he was eleven years of age, when he went to live with some relatives. Mr. Cox is a well educated man, having attended Monroe seminary of



Wisconsin, and from there became a student in Oberlin College of Ohio, and later at Knox college of Galesburg, Illinois. From 1850 to 1855 be was prominently connected with the public school system of Illinois, occupying a high rank as an educator. He came west in 1858, and, alter several moves, finally settled in Seward county, where he took up a homestead. For many years he was engaged in business in Seward, and always occupied a high position in the minds of the people of his city and county. Politically he has always been an ardent Republican, but has never aspired to any office, but has always taken an active part in any matters pertaining to the welfare of his county and state. 

Letter/label or barICHARD B. PRICE is associated with the early history of Thayer township, and has a wide acquaintance throughout York county, where he sustains the character of a hard working and upright man. He came to this country in 1871 with twenty-five cents in his pockets, which represented his entire cash capital, and by industry, thrift and business sagacity, has gained his present enviable standing.

      Mr. Price was born in Radnorshire, Wales, February 21, 1842, and was a son of Benjamin and Ann Price, mention of whom appears in this volume in connection with the name of Thomas Price. He received his education in his native land, and at an early age undertook his own support. He was bred to farming, and in 1866 crossed the ocean to continue that industry in this country. He found employment in Green county, Wisconsin. Alter a stay of four years in that state, he located on the York county farm which he now owns and occupies. It is on section 26, and it was a homestead entry of eighty acres. His first home was a dug-out overlooking the creek. This gave way to a log house, and he now dwells in an elegant frame mansion. His original modest holding of real estate has been increased to five hundred and sixty acres of good land, the greater part of which is under cultivation. He gives his personal attention to all the details of farming and stock raising. He yearly markets from three to five cars of stock and at least one car of hogs.

     Mr. Price was married in Wisconsin to Miss Susan Edmunds. She is a daughter of John and Ellen Edmunds, who were Welsh compatriots with her husband. They emigrated to the United States in 1855, and make their home in the state in which their daughter was married. The mother died there, but the father came to Nebraska, and died in this county. Mr. and Mrs. Price are the parents of seven children, John R., Abraham A., Benjamin T., Elner N., David William, Susan M., and Elfie B. They are all living, and, with their parents, are closely identified with the York Baptist church. He is a stanch Republican, and has served as justice of the peace for many years. For twenty-five years he was a member of the school board, and chairman of the town. He is a Mason and Modern Woodman, and holds the esteem of his neighbors much beyond the common average. 

Letter/label or barREDERICK C. JOHNSON and his wife, Sarah Johnson, are justly entitled to prominent mention in the history of this section of the state, for no couple have taken a more active part in its development and prosperity. It has been said that only those lives are worthy of record that have been potential factors in the public progress in promoting the general welfare, or advancing the educational or moral interests of the community. During the thirty-six years that Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have been residents of Butler county they have ac-

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller