NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



Nebraska, where he first learned the tinner's trade, continued at same from 1876 to 1880. then gave his attention to the implement business with good success until 1890. After this date he turned his attention to the interests and improvements of his town (Ohiowa) and also served as representative of his district, the 37th, in the legislature in 1893, with credit and honor to himself, and universal satisfaction to his constituents.

     He was also a member of M. W. A. After 1893 he lived a practical life and attended to his business matters only, looking after his property interests. His death occurred December 22, 1894, while on a tour through the southern states. He was a shrewd, capable business man, upright and honorable in all his dealings, and had the confidence and esteem of all with whom he came in contact, either in business or social life. He labored earnestly for the good of his country and his fellow men, and was beloved by all. He erected the first large building in the town of Ohiowa and owned about one-half of the property there. He was called from life in the midst of his usefulness and was laid to rest in the Ohiowa cemetery. Mrs. Quinlan has displayed exceptional business ability in the management of her financial affairs since her husband's death, and has conducted all business in a most creditable manner. She is a devoted daughter to her aged father and a kind and affectionate mother to her three children: Jennie M., Rosalind and Le Roy. She is a lady of culture and refinement and is a member of Royal Neighbors, Court of Honor, Knights and Ladies of Security, and presides with gracious dignity over her beautiful home, extending a warm-hearted hospitality to her many friends. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM EDWARD HARLING, deceased, was for many years one of the leading farmers and most highly respected citizens of precinct N, Seward county, his home being on section 32, where his widow and family still reside. He was a native of England, born in East Kent, February 3, 1831, and was a son of William Edmund and Sarah (Phekings) Harling, well-known farming people of that country. The only educational advantages he received were three months, attendance at the public schools when quite young, and it was not long before his knowledge of school books was entirely forgotten. Until he attained his majority he remained at home assisting his father in the labors of the farms but in 1853, with the hope of benefiting his financial condition in the new world, he crossed the Atlantic, landing in New York city, whence he made his way to Iroquois county, Illinois. There he purchased forty acres of land and commenced making for himself a home.

      In 1862 Mr. Harling became acquainted with Miss Catherine Rinehart, and their friendship ripened into love; they were united in marriage on the 28th of January, 1864. They began housekeeping on the little farm in Illinois, which, under his labor and good management, had literally blossomed as a rose. On St. Patrick's day, March 17, 1886, he loaded his effects into two cars and started farther west, landing in precinct N, Seward county, Nebraska, where he purchased the southeast quarter of section 32, and again commenced to make for himself a new home. To the development and cultivation of his land he devoted his energies until failing health caused his retirement, and after a lingering illness of two years he passed away February 11, 1898. In 1877 he and his wife had joined the Methodist Episcopal church under the preaching of Rev. Van Pelt, but after coming to Nebraska united with the Evangelical Association under the preaching of Rev. J. P. Ash, and were earnest and consistent Christian people, commanding



the confidence and esteem of all by their upright and honorable lives. Politically, Mr. Harling was an ardent Republican and he and his sons cast their last presidential vote for William McKinley.

      Nine children were born to our subject and his worthy wife, five sons and four daughters, all of whom are still living. (1) William F., a farmer, residing on section 5, precinct N, Seward county, married Miss Clara Clark, daughter of Richard and Melissa (Collier) Clark, and they now have two children, Roy Edmund and Carl Forest. (2) Peter Edmund is unmarried and lives at Beaver Crossing. (3) Lewis H., who lives one mile north of the old homestead, on section 28, precinct N, married Miss Myrtle Fender, and they have two children: Ethel Anita and Harold Grant. (4) Eliza Jane, now Mrs. J. A. Carnahan, of Saline county, Nebraska. (5) James, who also lives on a farm near the old home, married Estella Ann Gibson, daughter of John and Dora (Head) Gibson, and they have one child: Lila. (6) Emma May, married Frank A. Murray, a son of Mr. and Mrs. N. Murray, and they live on a farm in Saline county, Nebraska. (7) Clarence is yet at home and assists his mother in carrying on the farm. (8) Samantha and (9) Nancy Maria are also under the parental roof. The children have all been provided with good common-school educations and have become useful and highly respected members of society, giving their support to all church and educational interests. Mrs. Harling, who is a most estimable lady, still resides on the old homestead, and also owns, in her own right, the southwest quarter of section 28, precinct N. She is a worthy member of the Evangelical Association at Beaver Crossing. 

Letter/label or barARVEY PICKREL is a noted horseman of York, Nebraska, and he is a familiar figure on the Grand Circuit as well as the western tracks, as he makes the round with fleet-footed horses. He owns some of the best stock in the west, and is such a genial, large-hearted man himself, that if he is not king of the turf, he does not have many rivals for the honor.

      Mr. Pickrel is a son of old Knox county, Illinois, where he was born on the last day of the year 1842. George Pickrel, his father, was born in Jackson county, Ohio, and his mother in Covington, Kentucky. Her maiden name was Maria Richmond, and she had that strength of character and determined disposition that were needed to sustain the female mind amid the trials and sorrows of the early days in the west. They made their home in Knox county in 1838, and continued there until their removal to Seward county, Nebraska, in 1871. He finished his earthly career in the fall of 1897, and his widow still resides in Seward. They were the parents of thirteen children, eleven of whom are now living. During the Civil war they were represented in the Federal army by two sons. Harvey and C. B. Pickrel. The father of this numerous and interesting family was engaged in farming, and for many years made a business of buying and selling grain. He was a man of affairs, and was widely known for his upright and candid business methods.

      Harvey Pickrel attained his majority under the parental roof, and received unusual educational advantages, for the public schools of that section of Illinois are conceded very superior, and for many years they have maintained a high reputation. He was raised a farmer, and when the great Rebellion came on was ready to take his part in the war for the Union. It was not until January 16, 1863, that he was able to carry out a long-cherished idea and enlist. He entered as corporal of Company A, Fourteenth Illinois Volunteer Cavalry, and participated in many fierce and bloody engagements. He was at Marietta, Georgia,



and in the campaign around Atlanta. H had a share in the celebrated raid on Macon, Georgia, and from that point was recalled to Louisville, Kentucky. These are the names of battles in which he fought when the regiment faced south again: Columbus, Franklin, and Nashville, where old "Pap" Thomas so gallantly stayed the northern flow of Hood's invading army. He was mustered out of the service at Pulaski, Tennessee, and paid off at Nashville. While crossing the mountains between Kentucky and Tennessee he received severe injuries, which gave him a furlough, and sent him home in time to vote for Abraham Lincoln. He was discharged from the service August 11, 1865, and for two years following that date was an invalid at home. In 1867 he recovered sufficiently to resume the occupation of farming, which he had abandoned to take up arms for his country. Ill health pursued him north, and he could not recover health and strength until his arrival in Nebraska. At that time he weighed one hundred and five pounds. To-day he lacks but two pounds of weighing precisely double that.

      Harvey Pickrel made his appearance in Nebraska in 1870, and spent nearly two years in Seward county. He made a homestead entry, where he now lives, in 1871, and from that time on here has been his home. When he first located here his nearest neighbor was seven. miles away. His first home was a "dug-out," but it gave way in 1873 to a modest frame structure, built to welcome the home-coming of his bride, Miss Millie Dilley. They were married February 6, 1873, from her father's home in Knox county, Illinois, where she was born and raised. She was a daughter of Washington T. and Mary (Biggerstaff) Dilley. Her father was a soldier in the Union army, belonged to the Eighty-third Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and is now a resident of California.

      Mr. and Mrs. Pickrel have made their home continuously on this place since their first arrival in the state, excepting two years spent in the city of York, that a daughter by a former marriage might attend the high school. His first wife was a daughter of H. S. Bradford, and a resident of Knox county. They were married in 1866, and she died four years later, leaving two children, Charles and Annis L. The present Mrs. Pickrel and her husband are popular in church and society. She belongs to the Baptist church, and he is a Mason of high degree. He was initiated into the order at Maquon, Illinois, and is now a Knight Templar. He also belongs to the Modern Woodmen at Waco, and is a stanch Republican, but has never been an office seeker. As an agriculturist and stock raiser he has achieved a great success. He has a full section of land under cultivation, and in the development of a rapid breed of horseflesh he leads all the rest. He began to take an interest in horses in 1875, and his present extensive plant has grown from very modest beginnings. He counts among his horses at the present more than ninety high-grade racing animals that promise unusual speed.

      Mr. Pickrel has sold some very fine animals, and has done much to improve the horse in the west. The head of his stable is undoubtedly Count Waldemar, a standard-bred horse of the very highest grade, and belongs to the bluest blood of the racing world. Count Waldemar was sired by King Rene, the dam being Evadne. He is a trotter, and made a record of 2:26 when only five years old. He took first premium at the Lincoln State Fair, and has a record of always taking first premium wherever shown. He is registered in Wallace's American Trotting Register, volume X, under rules I and VI., with the registration number 14396. Another horse he thinks much of is George Tuesday, 18748. This is a handsome bay animal six years old, and



made a record of 2:25 at Aurora, Nebraska. A third animal, scarcely less thought of on the Pickrel ranch, is Bill Daley, a bright bay. This is a son of Iroquois, and has done some great things in the days gone by on the track. 

Letter/label or barYMAN S. WHEELER.--York county has many well-to-do and successful farmers who are the architects of their own fortunes, and have been prominently identified with the growth and upbuilding of this section of the state, as well as loyal defenders of the Union during her hour of trial. Among these is the subject of this personal history, who to-day owns and operates an excellent farm on section 18, Leroy township, having converted the wild prairie land into highly cultivated fields.

      Mr. Wheeler was born in South Royalston, Massachusetts, April 11, 1837, and is a worthy representative of a good old New England family, his parents being Josiah and Martha (Foristall) Wheeler, natives of Massachusetts and New Hampshire, respectively. The father, who was a farmer by occupation, served with distinction as colonel in the war of 1812. Both he and his wife died in Massachusetts.

      Upon a farm in his native state Lyman S. Wheeler grew to manhood, acquiring his education in the common schools of the neighborhood, and remaining under the parental roof until he attained his majority, when he started out to make his own way in the world. For two years he engaged in farming and then turned his attention to railroad work. In September, 1861, he laid aside all personal interests and offered his services to the government, enlisting in Company I, Twenty-fifth Massachusetts Infantry, and veteranizing at the end of three years. He participated in the engagements at Roanoke, North Carolina, Newburn, White Hall, Kingston, Goldsboro, and during a skirmish, while on detached service in North Carolina, he was taken prisoner at Chowan river, it being three months before he was exchanged and able to rejoin his company. A portion of the time he was confined in Libby prison. Later, as a member of Hickman's Star Brigade, his command was the first to land at Petersburg in 1864, and there they remained all through the siege until the capture of that stronghold. Shortly afterward, at the battle of Jury's Bluff, Virginia, May 16, 1864, Mr. Wheeler was shot through the shoulder and arm, receiving six wounds in all, and was first taken to the hospital at Chesapeake, but later was sent to David's Island, New York, New Haven, Connecticut, Reedville, Massachusetts, and Worcester, Massachusetts, where he remained in the hospital until finally discharged April 18, 1864. It was over two years before he was able to use his left arm.

      On receiving his discharge, Mr. Wheeler returned to his home in the Bay state, but shortly afterward went to Bureau county, Illinois, and in July, 1865, located in Madison county, Indiana, where he engaged in the milling business for four years. He then returned to Bureau county Illinois, where he remained two years, and in the fall of 1872 came to York county, Nebraska, taking up a soldier's homestead, of one hundred and sixty acres, on the northwest quarter of section 18, Leroy township. There has not been a night since that time that some of the family have not been on the farm. The first winter in York county was passed in a dug-out, and the following spring a more pretentious house was constructed of sod. Starting here without capital, it has required years of hard work by himself and wife to bring the wild land to its present high state of cultivation, but it is now well improved with a good residence, barns, fruit and shade trees. The first orchard which was set out was destroy-



ed by the grasshoppers, who not only ate the leaves but also the bark of the trees. In connection with general farming, Mr. Wheeler is interested in the dairy business, and has a separator of his own on the farm.

      On the 16th of March, 1864, he wedded Miss Mary E. Barnard, who was born in Waburn, Middlesex county, Massachusetts, ten miles from Boston, November 26, 1834, a daughter of Simon S. and Lucy (Simonds) Barnard, who spent their entire lives in that state and were engaged in farming. To Mr. and Mrs. Wheeler were born four children: William B., who died in infancy; Charles E.; Lucy S.; and Frederick H. The parents are active and prominent members of the Congregational church in York, with which they have been connected longer than any of its present members. Mr. Wheeler is also identified with the Odd Fellows Lodge and the Grand Army Post of that place, and in political sentiment is a stanch Republican, but hot a politician in the sense of office seeking. He is a man of good financial ability and excellent judgment, and since becoming a resident of York county has won the respect and confidence of the community, and occupies a leading position among its influential citizens. 

Letter/label or barRANCIS A. BAKER, one of the most prosperous and highly esteemed citizens of Belle Prairie precinct, Fillmore county, has for twenty years successfully carried on operations as a general farmer on section 32. He was born in Iowa county, Wisconsin, September 12, 1847, and is a worthy representative of an honored family, distinguished for its Christian piety and many noble acts of charity. His father, Francis Baker, was born in Cornwall, England, December 24, 1817, and on his emigration to the United States, in the spring of 1837, located in Honesdale, Pennsylvania, where he wedded Miss Mary Dony, also a native of England. In the fall of 1844 they removed to Iowa county, Wisconsin, and took up their residence eight miles west of Dodgeville, where the father purchased land and engaged in farming throughout the remainder of his life. He met with excellent success in his undertakings and amassed a large fortune. His chief delight in life seems to have been to serve his fellow men, and helpfulness might be termed the keynote of his character. He was truly benevolent, and the poor and needy counted him among their friends, for no worthy one sought his aid in vain. He was a faithful member of the Methodist Episcopal church, in which he served as class leader for forty years, and was always an active worker in his Master's vineyard. He was of a modest, retiring disposition, and never sought prominence, but was always willing and anxious to do his part in building up the church or furthering any other good work. At one time he gave $500 as a gift to a religious institution, and in every possible way gave his support to those enterprises calculated to benefit his fellow men. He died at the ripe old age of seventy-nine years, eleven months and twenty-two days, and thus passed away one of the most beloved citizens of his locality, whose life stands as an enduring monument for all time to come. The funeral services were conducted by a Methodist Episcopal minister, and he was laid to rest in the cemetery of Spring Valley, Wisconsin. He left a widow and several children to mourn his loss. In the family were twelve children: William H., John IN., Francis A., Edwin A., Mary E., Julia A., Thomas J., Eva J., Sophia E., Oscar L., Florence I. and Eliza M. All are living with the exception of William H. and Mary E., who died in the prime of life. The former was an exhorter of the Methodist Episcopal church, and was located in Iowa at the time of his death. He left a widow and seven children. He also gave much of



his possessions to charitable institutions, and died, as many noble men do, rich in honor and beloved by all. Like his father, he tried to do all the good possible and was well prepared to meet his Maker when the summons came.

      In his native county, Mr. Baker, of this review, passed his boyhood and youth, receiving only a limited common-school education. On the 6th of April, 1874, he was united in marriage with Miss Jennie Glasson, who was born March 3, 1851, and also had very limited school advantages. Her parents, John and Harriet (Crothers) Glasson, were born, reared and married in England, and at an early day came to the new world. Here the father died, but the mother is still living in Wisconsin, at the age of seventy-eight years. Of their six children, three also survive: John, Elizabeth and Jennie. The children born to our subject and his wife are as follows: Cyrus E., died in 1880, at the age of six years, and was buried in Harmony cemetery, Fillmore county; Hattie M. and Frances E. died at the ages of three years and one year, respectively, and were laid to rest in the same grave in Harmony cemetery, December 21, 1880; Charles died in August, 1890, at the age of thirteen months, and was also buried there; Ira E., born December 30, 1881; Scott G., born October 27, 1884, and Amy Leota, born December 5, 1891, are still living, and are exceptionally bright children.

      For five years after his marriage, Mr. Baker operated a rented farm in Wisconsin, and managed to save four hundred dollars, which was his entire capital when he landed in Fillmore county, Nebraska, February 16, 1879. In Belle Prairie precinct he purchased of a speculator a tract of land of one hundred and sixty acres for eight hundred dollars, to be paid on the installment plan, and the same year bought a homestead of eighty acres for four hundred dollars cash, but had to borrow one hundred and fifty dollars of the money to pay for the same. This place is pleasantly located only a mile and a half from the thriving little village of Bruning, and is now entirely free from debt. In his new home Mr. Baker has prospered, and besides his valuable farm he owns two residence lots in York, Nebraska, two houses and five lots in Bruning, and one of the finest residences in Strang. This property has all been acquired through his economy, industry, good business ability and sound judgment. Politically he is a stanch Republican and cast his first presidential vote for General Grant. He never acts except from honest motives and in all his relations in business affairs and social life, he has maintained a character and standing that has impressed all with his sincere purpose to do by others as he would have others do by him. 

Letter/label or barOHN KRUMBACH is one of the most influential and public-spirited agriculturists of Polk county, his home being on section 5, township 13, range 1 west. His farm is conspicuous for the manner in which it has been improved and cultivated, and is evidently the homestead of one of the most enterprising men of the community. Like many of our best citizens, he is a native of the Fatherland, born in Prussia, November 6, 1843, and his parents, Erasmus and Helena Krumbach, farming people, spent their entire lives in that country. Of their fourteen children, eleven are still living, three being residents of the new world--Charles, Erasmus and John.

      Our subject remained in his native land until he attained the age of thirty years, receiving a good education in the German language, and also a thorough knowledge of farming and milling. He followed the latter occupation in Prussia for five years, and on coming to America had some capital. It



was in 1873 that he and his brother, Charles, crossed the broad Atlantic and took up their residence in Polk county, Nebraska, locating on the present farm of our subject, which, at that time, was all wild land, and there were no other settlers in that section. For about six months they lived by themselves in a sod stable, one side of which was used for the accommodation of their horses, and their kitchen was a hole in the side of a bank.

      In November, 1873, Mr. Krumbach was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Schumacker, who had just arrived in this country, being also a native of Prussia, born November 27, 1848. Her father was Anton Schumacker, a farmer by occupation, who was a member of the Prussian army for three years, and was in active service a part of the time. He and his wife both died in Germany, and three of their seven children are also deceased. Those living are Peter, Elizabeth, William and Louisa. Mr. and Mrs. Krumbach have spent their entire married life upon his farm in Hackberry precinct, and four children have come to brighten their home, namely: Helena, Erasmus, Christiana C. A. and Elizabeth H. S. The three oldest have been provided with excellent school privileges, having been students at the convent in Columbus, Nebraska.

      The first home of the family was a small frame house, i6 x 24 feet, but in 1889 this was replaced by a more commodious and modern residence, erected at a cost of one thousand three hundred dollars. It is surrounded by good barns and outbuildings, and two hundred and twenty acres of the two hundred and sixty acre tract is under excellent cultivation, the whole place denoting the thrift and industry of the owner, who thoroughly understands his business and is successfully engaged in both farming and stock raising. He and his family are devout members of the Catholic church, and he was a member of the building committee at the time the house of worship was erected in Shelby. He is one of the leading and prominent citizen of his community, is a stanch Democrat in politics, and has served as treasurer of school district, No. 30. 

Letter/label or barEORGE W. MILLER, who is now practically living retired upon his fine farm on section 24, Hays township, has resided in York county since March, 1882, and has here met with a well-deserved success in his chosen calling, being numbered among the well-to-do and prosperous agriculturists of his community. He was born in Rensselaer county, New York, May 23, 1835, a son of Cornelius and Elizabeth (Harrington) Miller, also natives of New York, the former of German, the latter of English descent, The parents of Cornelius Miller settled in Rensselaer county at a very early day, when the country was one vast wilderness, covered with a heavy growth of timber. The father of our subject died there about 1847, being survived by the mother for many years, her death occurring in that state in August, 1897, when she had reached the advanced age of ninety-two years.

      Upon a farm in his native county, George W. Miller spent his boyhood and youth, and when a young man went to Le Seur county, Minnesota, where he pre-empted one hundred and twenty acres of land, which he proved up and afterward sold. He then went to La Salle county, Illinois, where he was married to Miss Frances McGinnis, a native of that state and a daughter of John McGinnis, but less than two years after their marriage Mrs. Miller died. After a trip to New York our subject located in Livingston county, Illinois, where he bought eighty acres of land, and there carried on agricultural pursuits until coming to York county, Nebraska.



      He was married in Fairbury, Illinois, January 4, 1872, to Miss Margaret J. Wallin, a native of Putnam county, Illinois, and a daughter of William and Sarah (Teeters) Wallin, who were born in Columbiana county, Ohio, and were among the pioneer settlers of Putnam county, Illinois, having located there in 1836. There they made their home until called from this life Mr. and Mrs. Miller are the parents of two sons, George C. and Albertus R, who are now successfully operating the old home farm.

      On coming to York county, Nebraska, in March, 1882, Mr. Miller purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 24, Hays township, and successfully engaged in its cultivation and improvement for several years, but is now living retired, enjoying a rest which is justly merited, for he has been an untiring worker, and his success in life is due entirely to his own efforts. In politics he is independent, always voting for the man whom he thinks best qualified to fill the office. 

Letter/label or bar. B. HULT, one of Polk county's representative and prominent farmers, residing on section 20, township 14, range 3, was born at Döderhult, Sweden, December 17, 1844, and is a son of John P. and Kajsagreta Hult, who were born in the years 1811 and 1806, respectively, and were married in 1832. The paternal grandfather, Lars Olson, was a prominent lawyer and merchant, and it is said that he never lost a case. At one time he was the richest man in Kristdala, Sweden, but being very benevolent and generous, as well as somewhat extravagant, he left his children penniless and poorly educated. He died at a hospital in Kalmar, and his wife passed away many years previous. Their children were: Olaf, Agnita, Anna, Stingreta and John Peter. Our subject's maternal grandfather, Nels Swanson, was a well-to-do farmer of Döderhult, Sweden, and also reared a family of five children: Nels, Charles, Malena, Kajsagreta and Kristina. His wife died at the advanced age of ninety-three years.

      Our subject's father began life for himself at the age of fourteen years, and for seven years was in the employ of others. His wife had been left some property by her father, who died several years prior to her marriage, but was cheated out of it by her guardian. The young couple began their domestic life with no outside aid, their capital consisting of willing hands, industrious habits, and a determination to succeed. They rented a farm in Ösjöhult, Döderhult, Kalmar, and surrounded by most beautiful scenery, consisting of mountains, valleys, woods and lakes, they spent the greater part of their lives. The whole population of the little hamlet consisted of five families, of which the father of our subject was appointed supervisor, being held responsible for their moral welfare, and the duties of that position he faithfully discharged for twenty-eight years. During his last six years in Sweden he rented a large farm in Veningehult. In 1866 he and his wife came to America, and made their home with our subject and their son, Olaf, in Henry, Marshall county, Illinois, and then came with the former to Nebraska, remaining with them until their deaths.

     On Sunday morning, October 20, 1878, a prairie fire came from the south, going northwest of Mr. Hult's farm into the Platte valley. In the afternoon the wind changed, blowing a gale and driving the fire southeast at the rate of three miles in two and a half minutes. The flames swept fiercely over the east part of his farm, burning all his machinery, trees, bushes, etc., but fortunately did not consume either the granery or house. He and his family were at church, and on running home he found his aged parents trying to guard the property



Picture button


Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller