NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



directors. The original plant was at Fairmont, and this was operated alone until 1889, when the Crete Creamery was purchased. Later were added the Tobias plant, in 1890; the Friend and Geneva plants in 1891; the Fairbury, Dewitt and Milford plants in 1892, and the Hebron in 1898. All are equipped with the most modern appliances, and besides these, they have thirty skimming stations. Mr. Wheeler, who was a charter member of the company, served as its president until his death, which occurred in 1897. Mr. Rushton was then elected to that position, while E. F. Howe, of Crete, was chosen secretary and treasurer, and Mrs. Wallace Wheeler vice-president. The product of these plants finds a ready sale at the highest market price, and is sold all over the United States and also exported in large quantities. Besides manufacturing about a million and a half pounds of butter annually, the company handles one hundred and fifty car loads of eggs, and their business has proved of inestimable value to the farmers and other citizens of this section of the state, as annually they pay out about $165,000 for butter, $50,000 for labor, and $150,000 for eggs. They have about $100,000 invested in plants, and under the able management of our subject and the other officials, they do a profitable and highly satisfactory business.

      Mr. Rushton was born in Manchester, England, in 1849, a son of George and Isabella (Hoyle) Rushton, also natives of that country. The father came to the United States in 1849, and settled in Illinois, where he followed farming until called from this life in 1897. In 1851 he was joined by his wife and child, and in Illinois our subject was reared and educated. For eight years he successfully engaged in teaching school in that state, being superintendent of the Plano, Illinois, schools six years of the time. While teaching, he began the study of law, and in 1879 was admitted to the bar in Chicago, after which he engaged in practice in Aurora, Illinois, for two years. On coming to Fairmont, Nebraska, in 1881, he opened an office here, and in connection with the practice of his profession, he was for four years engaged in the land and insurance business, but since then has devoted his entire time and attention to the affairs of the Fairmont Creamery.

      In Illinois, Mr. Rushton was married, in 1875, to Miss Minnie Putt, a native of that state, and to them have been born five children, namely: Grace, who is now attending Nebraska State University; George H.; Raymond W.; Arthur L.; and Alice. Fraternally Mr. Rushton affiliates with the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and politically is identified with the Republican party. He has never sought official preferment, but in 1888 most creditably and satisfactorily served as chairman of the county board of supervisors of Fillmore county. As a business man and citizen he stands high in the community where he makes his home, and wherever known is held in high regard. 

Letter/label or barEORGE ENGLEHAUPT is one of the prominent agriculturists of precinct N, Seward county, who arrived here in time to assist in its upbuilding. He has been one of the most interested witnesses of its progress and development and has been no unimportant factor in bringing it to its present proud position. As a man of influence, public-spirited and liberal, this brief record of his life will be of more than ordinary interest to his many friends and acquaintances.

     Mr. Englehaupt was born September 21, 1855, in Marshall county, Illinois, and is a son of Samuel and Amanda (Marshall) Englehaupt, the former born January 15, 1827, the latter September 29, 1827. In July, 1865, when our subject was only nine years old, the family emigrated to Nebraska,



the father securing a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 22, precinct N, Seward county, to the cultivation and improvement of which he devoted his energies until called to his final rest on the 16th of September, 1885. Before his death he willed the place to our subject on the condition that he care for his mother and pay to the other heirs a certain amount. This he has done and upon the old homestead still makes his home. He grew to manhood amid frontier scenes and early became familiar with the arduous task of converting wild land into rich and propuctive (sic) fields. He attended the common .schools of Iowa and Nebraska, but his literary education was far more limited than his business training.

      On the 8th of April, 1897, Mr. Englehaupt was united in marriage with Miss Etta M. Brown, a daughter of Edgar L. and Abigail C. (Marshall) Brown, of Chicago. Her paternal grandparents were Miner and Mary Brown, and her maternal grandparents were Nathaniel and Rebecca Marshall. She was educated in the common schools of Will county, Illinois, and for two terms successfully engaged in teaching, but on the removal of her family to Chicago she retired from that profession. She became acquainted with her future husband while on a visit to her aunt.

      Mr. and Mrs. Englehaupt occupy the farm on which almost his entire life has been passed, and it is one of the most beautiful homes in the valley of the West Blue, reminding one of the scenes so graphically described by Dr. Johnson in "The Happy Valley." There are the grassy banks of the little river, the white painted walls of the cottage, and the great red barn overflowing with wheat, corn, oats and other products of the past harvest; the whole surrounded and shaded by great oak, elm, ash, hickory, box-elder, maple and walnut trees, some seemingly a century old. When the writer visited the place the frost had already touched the leaves and they came fluttering down like wounded birds, by ones, tens and hundreds, red, yellow and brown in color, scenting the air and covering the ground with a carpet of softened colors. No wonder the little woman seemed contented with the exchange of a home in the great city for this cottage on bonny West Blue. She has held membership in the Baptist church, takes an active interest in church work, and is contemplating joining the Evangelical church, which is situated about two and a half miles southwest of the farm. Politically Mr. Englehaupt is a Republican, casting his first vote for Rutherford B. Hayes, and his last for William McKinley. 

Letter/label or barHILANDER B. ROYCE, one of Butler county's thrifty and well-to-do farmers, whose home is situated on section 32, Savannah township, was one of the early settlers of that community. He first located on section 22, of that township, April 6, 1870, homesteading the southwest quarter of this section.

      Mr. Royce was born in New Haven county, Connecticut, December 23, 1843, a son of Bennett B. and Julia Ann (Benham) Royce. Bennett B. was a son of Welcome Roys, and the name was spelled "Roys" until our subject's father changed it to " Royce." The record of the family can be traced back many generations, to Nathaniel Roys, who settled in Wallingford, Connecticut, in 1692, and some of the members of the family participated in the Revolutionary war and also in the war of 1812.

      Our subject left Connecticut when seventeen years of age, went to New York and enlisted in Company I, Sixty-first New York Infantry, and served nearly four years in Companies I, F and D, respectively. He participated in the battles of Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Bristow



Station, Wilderness, Poe River, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, Petersburg and many other engagements. In fact, he was in all of the battles in which the Second Army Corps, of the army of the Potomac, participated, except three, and was mustered out July 14, 1865, at Arlington Heights. Gen. Nelson A. Miles was colonel of his regiment.

      After the close of the war, Mr. Royce served one year on a whaling ship, in the Arctic regions. He returned to New York in 1868, and was married in Wayne county, of that state, to Miss Ellen A. Royce, a distant relative. After his marriage he lived in New York state and worked on a vessel on the lakes. He went to Nebraska to visit friends, and although he went with no thought of staying, he was so much pleased with the country and the advantages t offered that he decided to make that his home. He is industrious, progressive and is endowed with a good capacity for well directed labor, and he soon had a productive and well improved farm and a commodious and comfortable home. In politics he was formerly a Democrat but is now identified ,with the Populist party, and on that ticket has been elected county commissioner. Mr. and Mrs. Royce are the happy parents of a family of four bright, interesting children, upon whom they have bestowed the following names: Charles B., Alice L., Edward W. E. and Winnifred E. 

Letter/label or barOHN M. REEL.--As an enterprising and wide-awake citizen of York county, and one who, through his own efforts, has established himself among the prominent, influential and successful men of the community, we take pleasure in giving a brief biography of the gentleman whose name heads this sketch. Throughout his active business life his energies have been principally devoted to agricultural pursuits, and he now owns and successfully operates a fine farm on section 7, Baker township.

      Mr. Reel was born in Hardy county, West Virginia, August 10, 1843, a son of Jacob and Ann (Hogbin) Reel, also natives of the Old Dominion, where they were reared and married. The father still resides upon a farm in that state at the advanced age of eighty-two years. Amid rural scenes our subject grew to manhood, acquiring and excellent knowledge of farm, work but a rather limited district school education. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company E, Eighteenth Virginia Confederate Volunteer Cavalry, and served until the close of the war, carrying the flag of truce when his company surrendered at Lynchburg. / He participated in the battle a that place and at Gettysburg, Beverly, West Virginia, Williamsport, Maryland, Bunker Hill, Piedmont and many skirmishes and at the battle of Newmarket was wounded by a minie ball in the left shoulder.

      When the war was over, Mr. Reel returned home and worked on the farm by the month for a couple of years. In May, 1867, he removed to Logan county, Illinois, where he was similarly employed, and later operated rented land on his own account for several years. Having saved some money he came to York county, Nebraska, and purchased one hundred and sixty acres, of land in Baker township, where he now lives. Although he bought his farm in 1880, he did not locate thereon until 1884, in the meantime making a few improvements, including the erection of a residence in 1883. The land is now under a high state of cultivation, and the buildings thereon are models of convenience and comfort, all of which show conclusively that he understands his chosen calling most thoroughly, and is meeting with well-deserved success.

      While a resident of Illinois, Mr. Reel



was married April 21, 1870, the lady of his choice being Miss Anna Bryan, a native of Logan county, that state, and a daughter of John T. and Phoebe (Huffman) Bryan, who were born in Virginia.

      In his political affiliations Mr. Reel is a Populist; is an advocate the of free coinage of silver; and is a firm believer in equal rights to all and special privileges to none. He takes an active interest in political affairs, is a recognized leader in the ranks of his party in York county, and has been a delegate to many county and state conventions. He served on the school board for six years in the capacity of treasurer, and in all the relations of life has been found true and faithful to every trust reposed in him, thus gaining the confidence and esteem of all with whom he has been brought in contact. 

Letter/label or barEORGE E. TINDALL.--Among the leading and influential farmers of Seward county who thoroughly understand their business and pursue the vocation of their chosen calling in a methodical and workmanlike manner is the subject of this biography. He now owns and operates a fine farm on section 34, I precinct, and the grain he raises upon his place he feeds to his own stock, being quite extensively engaged in raising cattle and hogs.

      Mr. Tindall was born in Bloomington, Indiana, July 21, 1847, a son of Easton and Elizabeth (Launs) Tindall, who, during the childhood of our subject, removed to Illinois, where both died, the father in 1882, the mother in 1854, and the remains of both were interred in Glassford cemetery. In their family were ten children, of whom George E. is the eighth in order of birth, and seven are living at the present writing, in 1898.

      George E. Tindall pursued his studies in the common schools of Illinois, and at the age of sixteen years offered his services to his country during her hour of peril, becoming a member of Company D, Seventeenth Illinois Cavalry, under Captain Jones. He saw much hard fighting, was in many bloody battles, and when the war closed he was honorably discharged, after two years and a half of arduous service. At the age of eighteen years he learned the blacksmith's trade and followed it for some time, both in Illinois and Colorado, but on coming to Seward county, in-1882, he turned his attention to agricultural pursuits, in which he is still interested. He purchased two hundred and forty acres of land at twenty dollars per acre and has successfully, engaged in its cultivation and improvement ever since. He has set out many fruit trees upon his place and to-day has one of the best farms of the locality. Politically, he is an ardent Republican, having cast his first ballot for President Lincoln while in the army, and socially he affiliates with the Masonic fraternity, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Grand Army of the Republic. He also carries a policy in the Bankers' Life Insurance Company, of Lincoln, Nebraska.

      On the 16th of February, 1876, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Tindall and Miss Lydia Cunningham, and to them have been born four sons, namely: George E., James, Elisha and Vernie, all at home assisting their parents. The wife and mother was born November 22, 1853, and was educated in Wisconsin and Nebraska, having come to this state when a girl of fourteen years with her parents, James and Lucinda (Jones) Cunningham. Her father is a native of Pennsylvania and in early life went to Wisconsin, where he was married at the age of twenty-one to Miss Lucinda Jones, who was then sixteen. On the 27th of June, 1895, they celebrated their golden wedding and are now living retired in Milford, enjoying life to its fullest extent in the midst of a large circle of friends and acquaintances,



who appreciate their sterling worth and many excellencies of character. They are honored pioneers of Seward county, having -located here thirty years ago when the country was all wild and unimproved. The lather took up a homestead of eighty acres and also bought an adjoining eighty-acre tract, upon which he lived for fourteen years, but since then has made his home in Milford, where he owns some valuable real estate, including ten nice residences. He is now eighty-two years of age and draws a pension in recognition of his services in the Black Hawk war. Mrs. Tindall is the filth in order of birth in a family of eight children, of whom four are still living. Mr. Cunningham is one of the most prominent and influential men of his community, and has always been a stanch supporter of the Republican party since its organization. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM E. SMITH, the present supervisor of district 2, Fillmore county, is a prominent farmer residing on section 10, West Blue township. His operations here have been marked with uniform success, and, in addition to being a thorough and skillful agriculturist, he is a business man of more than ordinary capacity, wise and judicious in his investments, and taking advantage of the facilities afforded at this day and age by improved machinery and all other appliances required by the modern tiller of the soil.

      Mr. Smith is a native of the far-off state of Massachusetts, born in Berkshire county, October 10, 1853, and is a son of Eli and Mary E. (Chapin) Smith, natives of Connecticut and Massachusetts, respectively. The paternal grandfather, who was also born in Connecticut, was a farmer and preacher, and died in Massachusetts. The father also followed agricultural pursuits as a life work and made his home in the old Bay state, where he passed away in 1884, honored and respected by all who knew him. The mother is still living on the old homestead at the age of eighty years. To this worthy couple were born eight children, six sons and two daughters, of whom five sons and one daughter are now living. Two sons are successful physicians; one has been a deputy sheriff in Massachusetts for twenty years, and another was a member of the lower house of the Massachusetts legislature in 1895.

      In the county of his nativity, William E. Smith was reared and educated, attending both the district and high schools. During his youth he learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed during the summer season, while the winter months were devoted to school teaching in Massachusetts until 1878. That year witnessed his arrival in Fillmore county, Nebraska, and he has since resided upon his present farm, where he now owns two hundred and forty acres of valuable land, which he has fenced and placed under a high state of cultivation. In connection with general farming and stock raising, he is interested in bee culture and has the largest apiary in the county.

      In 1880 Mr. Smith led to the marriage altar Miss Carrie Bennett, who was barn in Windham county, Connecticut. Her parents, Frederick C. and Phebe A. (Hadsell) Bennett, were natives of Massachusetts and Connecticut, respectively, and came to Nebraska in 1875, their home being now in Fairmont. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have a family of three children: Harry W., born February, 1882;Leah M., March 30, 884; and Ethel M., December 28, 1892. The parents hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church in Fairmont, and socially Mr. Smith is a member of the Masonic fraternity and the Modern Woodmen of America. In his political affiliations he is a life-long Republican, casting his first presidential vote for R. B. Hayes, his last for



William McKinley. He most acceptably filled the office of justice of the peace for seven years, and in £895 was appointed to fill the unexpired term of J. M. Perkins as township supervisor, to which position he was elected in 1897, being the present incumbent. He is chairman of the committee on roads and bridges, arid is proving a most. popular and capable official, one who commands the respect and confidence of all by his straightforward and honorable course. In £879 he served one year as township assessor. Mrs. Smith, who is a most estimable lady, is a member of the Royal Neighbors of Fairmont. 

Letter/label or barDWARD C. OPITZ, one of the successful and enterprising farmers of York county, residing on section 8, Baker township, is numbered among the worthy citizens that the fatherland has furnished to this state. His life stands in evidence of the opportunities which are furnished in the new world to young men of energy and ambition, for by his own labors he has arisen from a humble position to one of affluence.

     He was born in Germany, July 24, 1844, and is a son of Hans M. and Hannah (Franke) Opitz, also natives of that country. The, father was a farmer and spent his entire life in the land of his nativity, but the mother is now living with our subject, arid has passed the eightieth milestone on life's journey. Reared on the family homestead, Edward C. Opitz is indebted to the public schools for the educational privileges which he enjoyed. At an early age he took charge of his father's farm for he was the oldest and only son in a family of five children. In 1868, in response to the urgent solicitation of his uncle he came to the United States and made his way from New York, where he landed, to Prairie City, Illinois, where his uncle was living and where Mr. Opitz arrived June 14. 1868. He worked for his uncle as a stone cutter until he had mastered the English language, and afterward followed that pursuit in the employ of others for several years. He finally rented a farm in McDonough county, Illinois, of James Hamilton, and operated that land until his removal to York county, in the spring of 1880. Although he had reached Prairie City with only twenty-eight dollars, he had by his industry and economy acquired some capital and in 1875 went on an excursion to Nebraska, where he purchased one hundred and sixty acres of York county land of James Moore, an old soldier, who had proved up the homestead. It was on this farm that Mr. Opitz settled in 1880, and it is still his place of residence. A sod house and fifteen acres of broken land constituted the improvements on it at the time;. the rest of the land was wild prairie and there were no trees or well. He lived in the sod house for three months until he could build a frame house, and with characteristic energy began the development of his farm; It is now a valuable place with well tilled fields, a modern frame residence, fine orchard and all the necessary outbuildings. By additional purchase the boundaries of the place were extended and he now owns two hundred and forty acres, and has given eighty acres to his son Otto.

      Mr. Opitz has been twice married. He wedded Amelia Rust, a native of Germany, and four children were born to them--Otto, Ella, Minnie and Setta. The mother died in August, 1882, and in 1886 Mr. Opitz was again married, his second union being with Fredericka Scheela, a native of Germany, by whom he has six children--Ida, Charley, Emma, Albert, Harry and Nellie, all yet at home.

      In his political views Mr. Opitz is a free-silver Republican.. He belongs to the Lutheran church and the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and is esteemed by all



who know him for his sterling worth. He has never had occasion to regret his emigration to America, for in "the land of the free" he has found a pleasant home, secured a comfortable competence and gained many warm friends. 

Letter/label or barLBERT A. BOUTON is one of the representative farmers and stock raisers of Butler county, and has been a conspicious figure in the development and extension of its great agricultural interests. He was one of the earliest settlers of the county, locating in section 12, Alexis township, in the fall of 1868. He came to Nebraska two years prior to this and located in Platte county, in 1866.

      Mr. Bouton was born in Schoharie county, New York, in 1837--October 28--and made that his home until twenty-one years of age. His father, Seth Bouton, lived and died in the state of New York, and his mother, Bettie (Lawton) Bouton, is still living in Fulton county, New York. Her father served in the war of 1812, and her ancestors also participated in the Revolutionary war. The Bouton family is of French descent. Mr. and Mrs. Seth Bouton were married in Schoharie county, New York.

      Our subject was reared on a farm, and in 1858 he moved from the state of his nativity and located in Berrien county, Michigan, where he made his home until he joined the army in 1862, with the exception of one season which he spent in a trip to Pike's Peak, in 1858. On his return from his trip to Pike's Peak, he located a Mexican war land warrant for one hundred and sixty acres, which he had purchased, in Platte county, Nebraska, and this afterward led to the settlement in that state. In 1862, Mr. Bouton enlisted in Company B, Twelfth Michigan Infantry, and served in that capacity for two years, participating in the battles of Shiloh, Hatchee River and many others.

      After the close of the war Mr. Bouton went to Barrington, Cook county, Illinois, where be met Miss Alice Stowell Strong, who was reared by her uncle, William N. Stowell. They were married at Junction City, Wisconsin, September 16, 1865. In 1866 they started with a team and emigrant wagon to Nebraska to locate on their farm in Platte county, with a cash capital of about fifty dollars. Two years later they moved to Butler county and settled on a claim of one hundred and sixty acres in section 12, Alexis township. Eighty acres of this farm was afterward homesteaded together with an adjoining eighty, and he has since added to this by purchase until he now has a fine farm of three hundred and twenty acres, furnished with a commodious and comfortable home and a neat set of farm buildings. To Mr. and Mrs. Bouton have been born the following family, whose names and the places of their birth are as follows: William A., born in Platte county, Nebraska; Ina J. and Guy A., born in Butler county, Nebraska, and two others, Gilbert A. and James A., both dead. James A. was killed by a runaway team October 4, 1889.

      Mr. Bouton is a Republican in politics but never sought or filled office. He is also interested in the grain firm of Belsley, Allen & Co., of Bellwood, Nebraska. 

Letter/label or barAMES P. SEELEY, a well known and prosperous farmer, whose farm is located near Milford, Seward county, Nebraska, is a native of Monroe county, New York, and was born February 21, 1845.

      His father, Thadeus O. Seeley, was born on May 21, 1808, and died in Delaware county, Ohio, at the age of seventy-nine years. He had been a member of the I. O. O. F. fraternity for fifty years. The



grandfather of our subject, Thadeus O. Seeley, was born in Orange county, New York, November 4, 1772, and was married to Miss Susanah Bailey, a native of the same place, born May 19, 1769. They were the parents of the following children: Eliza Ann, born January 20, 1799; Theron, born March 8, 1800; John D., born July 25, 1801 Thena, born March 13, 1803; Eugene L., born October 4, 1804; Laura, born October 22, 1806; Thadeus O., father of our subject, born May 21, 1808; Saline G., born February 17, 1810; Cleophus R., born June 9, 1811; Eliphalet, born March 27, 1813.

      The maiden name of our subject's mother was Caroline Bromley. She was the daughter of Herrick Bromley, who was born in Orange county, New York, March 16, 1783, and married Miss Mary Roe, who was born March 16, 1795, to whom were born the following children: Caroline, born January 28, 1814; Jane K., born April 14, 1816; Albert, born July 4, 1818; William, born March 5, 1823; Emily E., born June 14, 1825; Herrick, born June 28, 1827; Mary, born March 20, 1830; Orill, born November 26, 1832; Harriet, born July 15, 1835; Martin Van Buren, born July 13, 1837; Margaret, born April 29, 1840. Herrick Bromley, Sr., served in the war of 1812.

      Thadeus O. Seeley, our subject's father, was married to Miss Caroline Bromley, August 29, 1833, in Orange county, New York. To this union the following children were born: Herrick B., born December 18, 1835; Mary E., September 24, 1837; Josiah J., September 23, 1839; Albert T., September 3, 1842; James P. (our subject), February 21, 1845; Charles C., January 29, 1847; Susan J., May 5, 1849; Antoinette, July 15, 1852; Thadeus O., August 5, 1857.

      The subject of this sketch was married to Miss Margaretta J. Edwards, in Delaware county, Ohio, December 17, 1865. Mrs. Seeley is a daughter of James J. and Margarette (Rich) Edwards, to whom were born the following children: Margaretta J., born February 1, 1845, at East Ellington, England; Susan A., born December 23, 1853, in Genesee county, New York; Harriet J., born September 6, 1855, in Genesee county, New York; William J., born March 24, 1857, in Delaware county, Ohio; Carrie E., born November 12, 1862, in Franklin county, Ohio. Mrs. Seeley came to America with her parents when she was six years old. They made the voyage in a sailing vessel which occupied about a month in the passage, having lost its course, and, after touching at Portuguese and Faroe Islands, finally landed at New York city.

      Mrs. Seeley's father died at the age of forty-three years. Her mother died November 25, 1898, at the advanced age of eighty years.

      Mr. and Mrs. Seeley have one son, William J., who was born January 27, 1875, at Milford, Seward county, Nebraska. He was educated at the university at Lincoln, the Western Normal, and also graduated from the Fremont Commercial and Business College, where he afterwards taught. He is now principal of the schools at North Loup, Nebraska. He married Miss Carrie Collins, January 12, 1897. She is a graduate of the Fremont Normal and is a teacher in the same school with her husband.

      Mr. and Mrs. Seeley for three years after their marriage lived in Ohio, then removed to Nebraska. Lincoln was but a village and most of the trip was made in a stage coach. They took up a homestead claim of eighty acres in I precinct, Seward county, and have made it their home to the present time. The first seven years they lived in a sod house and here their son was born. (His wife also was born in a dugout in Valley county.) The settlers for many miles around traded at Milford, where there was a mill and a store, and where the county-seat was first located. A Congrega-



tional church and soon after an M. E. church were established. Mr. Seeley is now the owner of one hundred and sixty acres of fine farm lands thoroughly improved. Although his father was a Democrat, our subject is a Republican in political faith. He is a member of the M. E. church. 

Letter/label or barON. J. M. PERKINS.--The history of Fillmore county would be very incomplete and unsatisfactory without a personal and somewhat extended mention of those whose lives are interwoven so closely with its agricultural development. Mr. Perkins is a prominent representative of this class and during his residence here he has been a leader in local politics. He is one of the older settlers of West Blue township, and there he continues to make his home, his time and attention being devoted to agricultural pursuits on section 10.

      Mr. Perkins was born October 3, 1828, in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, near the town of Everett or Bloody Run, and is a son of Joshua and Rebecca (Knowlen) Perkins, the former native of New Jersey, the latter of Pennsylvania, born near Pittsburg. The maternal grand-father, James Knowlen, came to this country from Ireland. The paternal grandfather, Abraham Perkins, was also born the other side of the Atlantic, being a native of England, and came to America prior to the Revolutionary war, in which struggle he lost a leg while helping the colonies to achieve their independence. He lived for some years in Pennsylvania, but spent his last days in Columbiana county, Ohio. He was a farmer by occupation, as have also been most of his descendants. The father of our subject remained in the Keystone state, where his death occurred. In his family were two sons and two daughters, and the brother of our subject was a member of the Eighteenth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry during the war of the Rebellion. The father was twice married; his first wife was Millie Siegler, who bore him two sons and two daughters, the two sons serving in Pennsylvania regiments during the Rebellion.

      In his native state J. M. Perkins was reared and educated in much the usual manner of farmer boys of his day, and at the age of twenty began learning engineering, which he successfully followed for many years in Pennsylvania. On coming west in 1873 he located in Grundy county, Illinois, where he purchased a farm and turned his attention to agricultural pursuits. He made his home there until 1882, in which year he became a resident of Fillmore county, Nebraska, and bought the farm in West Blue township where he still lives, it comprising a half section of valuable land under a high. state of cultivation and well improved with good buildings. Here he follows general farming and stock raising and is meeting with well-merited success.

      On the 26th of December, Mr. Perkins was united in marriage with Miss Mary Blake, a native of Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania, and a daughter of James and Jane (Kluck) Blake, who were born in York county, Pennsylvania, and spent their entire lives in that state. To Mr. and Mrs. Perkins were born eleven children, namely: George A.; Harvey G., deceased; Charles W.; John A.; Edward D.; Alexander R.; Frank B., and four daughters deceased.

      For over half a century our subject and his wife have been consistent and faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal church, being converted November 20, 1852, and now belong to the church in Fairmont, in which he has filled all of the offices. He has served as an exhorter and local preacher and has always taken an active and prominent part in church work. His parents were connected with the same denomination. For forty years Mr. Perkins has also been a member of the Masonic fraternity



and is now a trustee of the lodge in Fairmont. He has been an ardent supporter of the Republican party ever since its organization in Grundy county, Illinois, and as one of the influential citizens of his community he has been called upon to fill a number of official positions of honor and trust, being county commissioner three years, justice of the peace three years and supervisor two years, resigning the latter office on coming west. In 1888 he was elected supervisor of West Blue township, Fillmore county, and served as such for seven years. He was elected to the lower house of the state legislature in 1895, and filled that position for one term with credit to himself and to the entire satisfaction of his constituents, during which time he was a member of the committee on agriculture, cities and villages. It will be of interest to state that Mr. Perkins had three uncles in the war of 1812, two serving five years and one seven years. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM BELL, deceased, was for many years one of the most prominent, enterprising and reliable citizens of Butler county, his home being in Oak creek township from the spring of 1870 until called to the world beyond. He was a native of Indiana, born in Greene county, on the 30th of March, 1833, and was a son of John Bell, who at an early day removed from his old home in Virginia to the Hoosier state.

      In the county of his nativity William Bell was reared and educated in much the same manner of boys of that period in frontier settlements. At the age of seventeen he accompanied the family on their removal to Henderson county, Illinois, where he grew to manhood. There he was married in 1863 to Miss Elizabeth Farrell, a native of Ogle county, Illinois, and a daughter of William Farrell, who had also removed to that state from Indiana. Mr. and Mrs. Bell became the parents of the following children: William and Edgar, who were both born in Wapello county, Iowa; Lakey, who was born in Fremont county, the same state; and Mary G., Thomas, Rosa, David and Eva J., who were all born in Butler county, Nebraska.

     As early as 1863 Mr. Bell came to Nebraska, and for some time Was connected with the Pacific railroad, but before coming to Butler county, he made his home for a time in Fremont county, Iowa. In the spring of 1870, however, we hod him located on a farm on section 6, Oak Creek township, Butler county, and, until life's labors were ended, he devoted his energies to the cultivation and improvement of his place, transforming the wild land into well tilled fields. He died on the 10th of May, 1897, and his remains were interred in the cemetery at Brainard. He always took quite a prominent part in local affairs, was one of the most influential and popular citizens of his community, and for two terms ably represented his township on the board of supervisors. It is but just and merited praise to say of him, that as a citizen he was honorable, prompt and true to every engagement, and as a man he held the honor and esteem of all classes of people. Mrs. Bell, who still survives her husband, was a true helpmeet to him, sharing his joys and sorrows, his successes and his trials. 

Letter/label or barOHN TOWLE, a well known farmer of Baker township, York county, is one of the honored veterans of the Civil war, who through three long years of that sanguinary struggle faithfully defended the old flag and the cause it represented, and only left the front when his wounds, received on the field of battle, rendered him unfit for further duty. He has always been loyal and true to his duties of citizenship and to every

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller