NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



afterward the Twenty-second Infantry. He rendezvoused three months at Governor's Island during the cholera quarantine of 1866. He served on the plains of North and South Dakota till July, 1869. After this time he worked on a farm in Iowa till the year 1872 when he entered a printing office at Victor, Iowa, and learned the printer's trade. Being of an earnest, naturally intelligent disposition, he had been during all of this time improving his spare moments in the cultivation of his mind and had succeeded so well that in September, 1873, he helped to found the Butler County Press, and became one of its first proprietors.

      He served in the lower house of the state legislature during the winter of 1885, and was in the state senate in 1887 and in the lower house in '93 and again in '95.

      In 1895 he. was appointed member of the visiting and examining board of the soldiers' homes of Nebraska, and is secretary of the board; was also a member of the state commission and secretary of the state board of the Trans-Mississippi International Exposition.

      He has always been active in the councils of the Democratic party, was chairman of the first Democratic committee and now holds this position. He is the oldest permanent resident of David City, a man of unusual ability, and as a politician, soldier and statesman, ranks among the most prominent men of Nebraska. 

Letter/label or barAMES N. PLUMB, M. D.--Among L those who devote their time and energies to the practice of medicine and surgery and have gained a leading place in the ranks of the profession is Dr. Plumb, of Fairmont, Fillmore county, Nebraska. His skill and ability is attested by the liberal patronage he enjoys. He is a general practitioner, but his specialty is the diseases of the eye, ear and throat, and he is considered one of the best representatives of that branch of the profession in this section o. the state.

      Dr. Plumb is proud to claim Nebraska as his native state, his birth occurring in Richardson county, January 19, 1868. His parents, Lewis E. and Mary (Shaff) Plumb, were both natives of Ohio. The father is a carpenter by trade and followed his chosen calling until the breaking out of the Civil war, when he enlisted in the Fifty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry and served as clerk in the provost marshal's office at Camp Chaser Licking county, Ohio, having control of the rebel prisoners there, while his wife had! control of the cooking department of that camp. At the close of the war, in 1865, they came to Nebraska and located in Richardson county, where they still reside, the father being engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1880, since which time he has been engaged in the lumber trade. They are numbered among the honored pioneers of the county, and are held in the highest respect and esteem by all who know them. In their family are two sons: Perry E., also a practicing physician of Nebraska; and James N., our subject.

      The primary education of Dr. James N. Plumb was acquired in the common schools of this state, and was supplemented by a four years course in York College, and two years in the State University. Leaving the latter institution in 1889, he commenced the study of medicine, and at once entered the medical department of the State University of Iowa, where he spent one year. In the early part of 1890 he read in the office of Dr. Farley, of York, and in the fall of that year matriculated at Rush Medical College, Chicago, where he was graduated in 1891. Purchasing the practice of Dr. Johnson, he opened an office in Fairmount, where he has since successfully prosecuted his chosen profession. In 1895 he took a post graduate course at the Poly-



clinic College, of Chicago, and another course at the same institution in 1898. In this way he has kept well posted on the advances made in the science of. medicine and surgery, and is to-day numbered among the most progressive, as well as one of the most successful, physicians in this region. He assisted in organizing the Fillmore County Medical Association, of which he was elected the first president. He also belongs to the State Medical League and the International Association of Railway Surgeons, having filled the position of local surgeon of the St. Joe & Grand Island railroad. He holds membership in the Modern Woodmen of America, the Ancient Order of United Workmen, the Royal Highlanders and the Loyal Mystic Legion, and is local medical examiner for each.

      In October, 1892, Dr. Plumb was united in marriage with Miss Ella E. Graves, of York, Nebraska, a native of Illinois, and to them have been born two daughters, Helen M. and Florence P. Mrs. Plumb was for some years one of the leading teachers of York county, and she also spent one year in the Woman's Medical College, of Chicago. She and the Doctor are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in the best social circles of their community occupy an enviable position. In his political affiliations he is a Republican, but has never sought nor desired public office. Wherever he goes he wins friends, and has the happy faculty of being able to retain them, and this, combined with his skill and ability in his chosen calling, has brought to him a well-merited success. 

Letter/label or barAMUEL CLINE, a well-known and highly respected farmer of York county, has been identified with the interests of his locality since pioneer days, with the exception of five years spent in South Dakota. Most of his life has been passed amid frontier scenes, for he was born in Iowa when that state was still a territory, his birth occurring in Bowens Prairie, Jones county, April 2, 1845.

      His father, Philip Cline, was born in Martinsburg, West Virginia, October 15, 1807, a son of Philip and Elizabeth (Newman) Cline, who were both natives of Pennsylvania and died in Ohio at an advanced age, the latter being ninety years old at the time of her death. At the age of fifteen years Philip Cline, Jr., accompanied his parents on their removal from West Virginia to Ohio, and on reaching man's estate was married there, on the 31st of January, 1828, to Miss Rebecca Murphy, a native of Hampshire county, Virginia, born December 4, 1805. In 1829, with his wife and one child, he emigrated to McLean county, Illinois, where he made his home on a farm until 1844, which year witnessed their arrival in Jones county, Iowa. After our subject came to York county, Nebraska, the parents also moved here in the fall of 1872, making this county their home until called to the world beyond, the mother dying in 1891, when past the age of eighty-five years, and the father in 1892, at the age of eighty-five. They enjoyed the respect and esteem of all who knew them.

      Until he was twenty-four years of age Samuel Cline remained under the parental roof, and on leaving home went to Lancaster county, Nebraska, but in 1871 we find him a resident of York county, where he made a selection of an eighty-acre tract of land in the northwest part of the county. On the 2nd of April, 1873, he was united in marriage with Miss Adelaide Manchester, a daughter of Thomas W. and Rachel G. (Flandreau) Manchester. Her father was born about 1825, at Barnett, Caledonia county, Vermont, and was twice married, having by his first union four children, of whom she is the oldest, the others being Ella, Frank and Rachel G., the latter dying



in infancy. The mother died in California at the age of thirty-one years. Mr. Manchester was later married in New York state, in 1867, to Mrs. F. E. VanDusen, and they removed to Hamilton county, Nebraska, in the spring of 1872. Mr. and Mrs. Cline have a family of six children, who according to age are as follows: Minnie R., Frances R., Philip Jay, Jr., Wilmer S., Lafayette F. and Mary G. Only three of the number are now living and are attending the public schools of York county.

      After his marriage Mr. Cline resided on his homestead until 1872, when, becoming restless, he sold his farm and moved to South Dakota, where the following five years were passed. At the end of that time, however, he returned to York county, where he is now engaged in agricultural pursuits. In his younger years he was a Democrat in politics, but now votes with the Populist party, and is a firm and uncompromising advocate of the free and unlimited coinage of silver. For over thirty years he has affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, is also a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and with his wife and son Wilmer, belongs to the Degree of Honor. Mr. and Mrs. Cline are both earnest and consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church, take an active part in its work, and are held in high regard by all who have the pleasure of their acquaintance. 

Letter/label or barOSEPH W. TALMAGE, ex-county treasurer of Fillmore county, and one of the leading and prominent business men of Fairmont, is to-day enjoying the reward of his painstaking and conscientious work, having by his energy, perseverance and fine business ability, secured a comfortably competence. Systematic and methodical, his sagacity, keen discrimination and sound judgment have made him one of the prosperous merchants of the place, as a dealer in farm machinery.

      Mr. Talmage was born in La Grange county, Indiana, January 20, 1841, and is a son of Elisha and Lucy (Williams) Talmage, both natives of New York. The paternal grandfather, Enos Talmage, was also a native of the Empire state, who entered land in La Grange county, Indiana, at an early day, but lived and died in Onondago county, New York. He was a farmer by occupation. In his family were eight children, six sons and two daughters, of whom one son and the two daughters are still living. Elisha Talmage, our subject's father, was born near Albany, New York, in 1813, and in that state was reared and educated. Learning the carpenter's trade during his youth, he followed it in New York until 1836, when he moved to La Grange county, Indiana, and took up a farm in Springfield township, to the cultivation and improvement of which he devoted his energies until called from this life in 1891. He was married in 1840, to Miss Lucy Williams, a daughter of Joseph and Lucy Williams, who spent their entire lives in New York. Five children were born to this union, two sons and three daughters. The mother died in April, 1849, after which the father was again married, his second union being with Miss Jane A. Griffin, by whom he had ten children, and who is still living in La Grange county, Indiana.

      In the county of his nativity, Joseph W. Talmage was reared and educated, and by assisting his father in the labors of the home farm he acquired an excellent knowledge of agricultural pursuits. In 1861 he laid aside all personal interests to aid his country in her struggle to perserve (sic) the Union, enlisting in the first company to start from La Grange county, it being Company A, Twenty-first Indiana Volunteer Infantry, under command of Captain William Roy. He participated in the battle of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. in



August, 1862, and at the engagement at Port Hudson, in May, 1863, was under fire for over thirty days. In 1863 he was transfered (sic) to the artillery service. Prior to being transferred he saw much hard fighting with the bushwhackers in Mississippi, Louisiana and other southern states, but fortunately escaped being wounded. For almost five years he was in the service, being honorably discharged with the rank of sergeant in January, 1866.

      After being mustered out, Mr. Talmage returned to Indiana, but in 1868 went to New York state, and the following year went by way of the Soo canal to the Lake Superior region, where he remained until 1871. He then returned to La Grange county, Indiana, but in 1872 we find him en route for Nebraska. Arriving in Butler county, he homesteaded a claim near Surprise, but did not locate thereon until in 1875, the intervening time being spent in Minneapolis and St. Paul. He successfully engaged in farming in Butler county until 1883, when he came to Fairmont and embarked in business as a dealer in agricultural implements, in which he is still interested. In the fall of 1885 he was elected county treasurer of Fillmore county, and on retiring from office at the end of one term, he resumed business in Fairmont.

      In 1875, Mr. Talmage was united in marriage with Miss Alice Nichols, a daughter of Philo Nichols, a pioneer of La Grange county, Indiana, and to them has been born one child, Mary N. Religiously Mr. and Mrs. Talmage hold membership in the Congregational church, and socially he is connected with the Masonic fraternity and the Grand Army of the Republic. In politics he is prominently identified with the Republican party, and has been an active factor in insuring its success in his community. Besides the office of county treasurer, he has filled other official positions of honor and trust, serving as a member of the town board and as city treasurer to the entire satisfaction of all concerned. He enjoys a large acquaintance in this section of the state and is held in universal respect. 

Letter/label or barARL KOCH is the fortunate owner of one of Seward county's finest farms, and it is situated in section 24, H precinct, near the village of Malcom. Mr. Koch is a son of Carl and Caroline (Kulke) Koch, both of whom are natives of Germany and spent their lives in the vicinity of their birth.

      The subject of our sketch was born in Germany, February 7, 1842, the third of a family of seven children, six of whom are still living, and is the only one of the family who came to America. He was educated in the common schools of Germany between the ages of six and fourteen, and at fourteen years of age was also confirmed in the Evangelical Lutheran church. Subsequently he served three months in the German army. He began to learn the trade of manufacturing cigars at the age of fourteen and served three years and soon became very skilled in this line of work. At the age of twenty-seven he migrated to America, landed at New York, and from there he went to Missouri where he started a cigar factory.

      March 4, 1868, Mr. Koch was united in marriage to Miss Wilhelmina Schaberg, and in the spring of the following year they came to Seward county, Nebraska, and took a homestead claim of eighty acres. On this farm their first residence was a dugout, but later they built a sod house, which was their home for several years. He then built a frame house, but unfortunately a fire soon after swept everything and left Mr. Koch and his family without shelter, clothing or food. Subsequently he built another sod house into which he moved his family, but in 1886 he built the beautiful residence which is still his home. Mr. and Mrs. Koch



are parents of seven children, six of whom are now living, and their names in the order of their birth are as follows: Charles E., Edward H., Margaretta, Adolph A. H., Arthur and Minnie. Edward H. is a very successful teacher, as are also Arthur and Margaretta. These obtained their preliminary training in the public schools of Seward county, where only the best teachers are employed. Mr. Koch always took a great interest in the education of his children, and when they completed the course in the common school, he sent them to the high schools of Lincoln, and finally to the university, which stands second to none in the state. The rest of the children mentioned are still living with their parents.

      Mrs. Koch is a daughter of Adolph and Catherine (Rethwilm) Schaberg. Her father was but eighteen years of age when he came to America and settled in Missouri, where he was married. To this union were born five daughters, three of whom are living, and of whom Mrs. Koch is the oldest. The names of her sisters are Lizzie and Sophia. The first is married to Larken Boehmer and lives in Montgomery county, Missouri, and the latter is the wife of Ernest Fenewald, and lives in St. Joseph, Missouri. Their father died in Missouri at the age of forty-five years and their mother at the age of twenty-six years. They were earnest Christians and devoted much time to the moral training of their daughters while they lived; but both passed away in the prime of life. To this early training is due much of Mrs. Koch's firmness of character and strict Christian integrity. She is a model housewife, wrapped up in the affairs of her household, and the kindest of mothers. Mr. Koch also is a man of the very best character, thorough and systematic as a farmer, pleasant to meet, and is held in high esteem by all with whom he comes in contact. He has served his fellowmen in the capacity of several of the local public offices and also some of the county offices; and in every instance he faithfully discharged every duty that came in his way to the satisfaction of his constituents and with credit and honor to himself. 

Letter/label or barEORGE DOUBLEDAY is one of the older citizens of Bradshaw township, and brought to the work of pioneering in York county a wealth of experience that has made it all the easier for him to take a front place in the workers of the county. He is upright and fair, and means to do what is right and honest, and it is the work of such men as he has proved himself to be, that has made Nebraska the garden and the pride of the west.

      Mr. Doubleday was born April 24, 1838, in Onondaga county, New York. His father was Harvey Doubleday, and all his life was comprised within the limits of the state of New York. His grandfather was Daniel Doubleday, who died in the northern part of the state when he was about seventy-five years old. His mother was Marcia Loomis, who was born in Connecticut, near Hartford, in November, 1813. She is still alive, and lives on the same farm that her father opened out of a heavily timbered country long ago. She is a lady of venerable appearance and has attained the age of eighty-five. She is a daughter of Aaron and Lydia (Pierce) Loomis, who were married in Connecticut, and moved to Broome county, New York, about the year 1825.

      George Doubleday was the second child in the family. His father died when he was not two years old, and he made his home with his mother until he reached the age of sixteen. He struck out at that early age and began working for himself. When he was twenty-five he was married to a daughter of John and Sarah Meeker, whose ancestors had come to the American colonies before the Revolution. They were of



Scottish birth, and possessed many of the best traits of their native land. His marriage occurred November 17, 1863, and he remained in his wife's native county for two years, when he came to Dekalb county, Illinois, where he bought a farm of eighty acres. His wife died in 1875, and he still continued to work the farm, and keep his family together. He was married September 17, 1876, to Miss Emma Smith, a daughter of Charles and Polly Smith. They lived on the Illinois farm for ten years, when they sold it and re-located in Bradshaw township on the southwest quarter of section 27, township 11, range 4 west. He built a frame house, and proceeded to improve the land and set out trees. He has over one hundred apple trees and his orchard shows apricots, cherries and small fruits in abundance.

      Mr. Doubleday's daughters, May and Delia, are both married. May is the wife of Eugene Walrod, and has her home on one of her father's farms. Delia is Mrs. Garner, and lives in Bradshaw. Her father is a Republican, and he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. When they came to this state and selected their farm three-fourths of a mile from the laid-out site of Bradshaw, they saw nothing before them but what seemed an interminable sea of unbroken prairie. The tall blue-stemmed sunflower and the golden rod waved in the breeze, but now there are great fields of ripening grain and the acres upon acres of corn are waving and flashing in the sunlight. 

Letter/label or barLIVER P. FISHER, one of the honored pioneers and prosperous citizens of Fillmore county, is now retired from the active labors of life and occupies a comfortable home in the town of Fairmont. His has been a long and busy career, with little time for idleness along the thoroughfare of life, where he has left his mark and may truly feel that he has not lived in vain. The object of respect by young and old, his familiar figure is greeted with affection and esteem, and in his declining years he is enjoying the reward of a well-ordered life and one in which he has exerted himself to do good to those around him.

      Mr. Fisher was born June 14, 1823, in the town of Orwell, Rutland county, Vermont, now Addison county, and is a worthy representative of an old and honored New England family which is of English descent. His great-grandfather was William Fisher, a native of Dartmouth, Massachusetts, in whose family were the following children: Ephraim, born January 27, 1751; James, January 26, 1754; Jemima, September 12, 1755; William, February 28, 1758; Abraham, May 22, 1760; Isaac, May 10, 1761; and Phebe, August 11, 1765. Of this famly (sic), Ephraim Fisher, the eldest, was the grandfather of our subject. He was born at Dartmouth, near Bedford, Massachusetts, and was the father of five sons, whose names and dates of birth were as follows: James, December 1, 1780; Gardner, October 23, 1782; Freeman, November 2!, 1784; William, June 4, 1788; and Isaac, January 15, 1798. In the family were also six daughters: Esther, Huldah, Abigail, Phebe, Betsy and Matilda. The family removed from Massachusetts to Vermont about 1786 or 1787, and were among the earliest settlers of Orwell, Addison county. Ephraim Fisher, who was a farmer by occupation, acquired a good property and died there.

      Isaac Fisher, the father of our subject, was born after the removal of the family to the Green Mountain state, and on his father's death inherited the old homestead, on which he engaged in agricultural pursuits throughout life, dying there in 1865. In early manhood he married Miss Mehitable Persons, a native of Massachusetts, who died several years prior to his death.



      Their children were Ira, born December 11, 1820; Oliver P., our subject; Mason I., born October 10, 1825; William H., born December 25, 1827; and Phebe E., born August 17, 1831. Ira was the only one of the sons who remained at Orwell, Vermont.

      Oliver P. Fisher pursued his studies in the district schools near his boyhood home, and assisted his father in the operation of the farm until 1844, when he removed to Kendall county, Illinois, and purchased land in Little Rock township, where he developed and improved a fine farm, making his home thereon for twenty-three years. He then removed to the town of Plano, the same county, and resided there until coming to Fillmore county, Nebraska, in 1876. The year previous he had visited this region and selected a location, and after locating here devoted his attention to general farming for some years, but is now living retired in the town of Fairmont, though he still owns a section of valuable farming land which he rents.

      Before leaving Vermont Mr. Fisher was married in 1843, to Miss Marietta Royce, also a native of Addison county, and a daughter of Levi and Philomela (Bascom) Royce, who were among the pioneer families of that state. They had removed from Massachusetts on horseback, taking with them all of their effects on one horse. Mr. and Mrs. Fisher became the parents of three children, all born in Illinois. George R., the oldest, married Louise A. Hibbard and they have three children: Maude A., now Mrs. Neesley, lives at Grand Rapids, Michigan; Alice and Earle. They still reside in Kendall county, Illinois. May A. is the wife of I. W. Allen, of Sandwich, DeKalb county, Illinois. Carrie E. is the wife of F. M. Chapin, of Fairmont, Nebraska. They have three children, Harriett, Mason J., and Guy. The parents both hold membership in the Baptist church, and have the respect and esteem of all who know them. In politics Mr. Fisher is a Prohibitionist, and while a resident of Illinois capably filled a number of local offices, but has taken no active part in public affairs since coming to this state. 

Letter/label or barR. HENRY RUNYON CRAIG, a popular and highly respected citizen of Ulysses township, Butler county, was one of the early settlers of that community, locating on section 34 of the above-named township January 28, 1876. He was born in Warren county, Ohio, August 30, 1839, a son of Joseph Craig, who was also born in Ohio. Our subject's grandfather, Eli Craig, migrated from Pennsylvania to Ohio early in this century. His great-grandfather was an Irish boy and was kidnapped by British soldiers and brought to this country. Our subject's mother bore the maiden name of Felitha Runyon, and her father was a soldier in the war of 1812.

      Henry R. Craig, the subject of this sketch, was the second son in the order of birth of his father's family. He was reared on a farm and when about eighteen years of age he started the battle of life on his own responsibility. When the family moved from Ohio to Illinois he remained in Ohio and worked at farming, railroading and stationary engineering. In 1862 he enlisted in Company E, Seventh Ohio Cavalry, and served in that capacity until the close of the war. At the time of his enlistment he was in Georgetown, General Grant's native home, and was acquainted with the Grant family, and had leather tanned at Jesse Grant's tannery at Georgetown. Mr. Craig's war record is a very eventful one, as he participated in over thirty engagements, many of them the historic events of the war. The following is a list of the most of the important battles and skirmishes in which he participated: Brookville, Ken-



tucky, September 20, 1862; Mt. Sterling, Kentucky, February 22 and 23, 1863; Hazel Green, Kentucky, March 5; Monticello, Kentucky, April 30 and May 1. In the Tennessee raid, Wadsburg, June I5, 1863; Crossing Clinch River, June 19, 1863; Kingston, June 20; Knoxville, June 21; Strawberry Plains, June 22; and the capture of General Frazer at Cumberland Gap, September 19; Jonesboro, September 28; Blue Springs, October 10, and at this place he had a gun shot from his hands; Rheatown, October 11; Blountville, October 14; Rogersville, November 6; Morristown, December 12; Russelville, December 14; Rutledge, December 18. Dandridge, December 24; Mossy Creek, December 27-28; second Dandridge, January 17-18, 1864; Fair Garden, February 1. During this time our subject was engaged most of the time in irregular service, in the independent cavalry. July 4, 1864, he started to Atlanta, and at Franklin, Tennessee, November 30, he took part in one of the hottest battles of the war, in which General Cleybourn and all his staff were killed. He also participated in the Saunders raid in eastern Tennessee and Wilson's raid through Alabama and Georgia, and it was during this time that he first heard of Lee's surrender. The most severe fighting in which Mr. Craig took part was at Nashville, where his company made five charges. At Rogersville he was injured by the falling of his horse and was wounded in battle at Monticello and at Blue Springs. At Monticello he was wounded by a machete in the hands of a stalwart Texan.

      After the close of the war, Mr. Craig returned to his home, and after following the occupation of a farmer for a time, he engaged in the clothing and furnishing goods business at Georgetown, Ohio. When he discontinued this business he intended to go to Tennessee, but he first went to Butler county, Nebraska, to visit his brother, took a fancy to the country and decided to locate there. In Nebraska he began the occupation of farming and now has a fine farm and pleasant home just outside of the limits of the village of Ulysses and is one of the substantial and leading men of the vicinity. He has served the people of Butler county in the capacity of county commissioner, has been township assessor and justice of the peace. Politically he was formerly a Democrat but is now a supporter of the cause of free silver. Mr. Craig was married in 1859 to Miss Mary Stump, daughter of John B. Stump, of Virginia, and before he enlisted in the army his only son, John B. Craig, was born. 

Letter/label or barON. JOHN D. JENKINS, deceased, of whom a portrait appears on the opposite page, was for many years one of the most highly esteemed and valued citizens of Fillmore county. In his life span of fifty years he accomplished much, and left behind him an honorable record well worthy of perpetuation. He was born in Worcestershire, England, November 15, 1846, and was a son of George and Sarah (Gibson) Jenkins, also natives of that country. The grandfather, John Jenkins, was a large land owner and spent his entire life in England. The father, as a surgeon in the English army, passed the greater part of his life in India, but died in his native land. In his family were eleven children, two sons and nine daughters, of whom our subject was the second son; five daughters are still living, being residents of England.

     John D. Jenkins, of this review, was educated in some of the best schools of his native land, among which were those in Danby, Sedgeley Park, Staffordshire, Radcliffe Downside and Somersetshire, the oldest Benedictine school in England. At the age of sixteen he went to Australia, landing on the west coast, where he en-



Picture button


Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller