NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



Illinois, at the age of eighty-five years; George W. emigrated to Marion county, Missouri, and died there; A. J. makes his home in Waynesburg, Pennsylvania, and William Henry Harrison lives in Clark county, Missouri.

      The subject of this sketch passed his boyhood and youth in the county of his nativity, and in Greene county, Pennsylvania, he was married, February 17, 1849, to Miss Nancy Chess, daughter of Peter Chess. In that state three children were born to them, namely: Sarah, now the wife of John Buckler, of Douglas county, Illinois; George, a resident of St. Louis, Missouri; and Peter. After the removal of the family to Illinois four others came to bless their union: John, of Butler County, Nebraska; Rosa, wife of William Fenderson, of David City; Lemuel E., of Omaha; and Della, wife of Charles Evans, of Greene county, Pennsylvania.

      From Pennsylvania, Mr. Sowers emigrated to Illinois in the fall of President Buchanan's election, crossing the Ohio river twelve miles below Wheeling, West Virginia, on election day. For seventeen years he resided in Douglas county, Illinois, and then come to Butler county, Nebraska, where he has since found a pleasant home, being now surrounded by a large circle of friends and acquaintances who appreciate his sterling worth and many excellencies of character. Politically Mr. Sowers was formerly a Whig, and is now an ardent Republican.

      The father, George Sewers, was twice married, his first wife being Christina Gardner. She had one son, but died giving birth to him.

      Our subject's wife died January 28, 1898. She was a member of the Missionary Baptist church for over forty years, and for many years belonged at David City. She died of heart disease, and was found dead in her bed. She was an excellent Christian woman and highly respected. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM M. BABCOCK.--Deeds of valor and of heroism have been the theme of song and story since the earliest ages, yet no more inspiring stories are told than of the American heroes, who in every war in which the country has been engaged have shown their loyalty and bravery to be equal to that of any race that the world has known. Mr. Babcock, of this review, is one of the faithful boys in blue who went forth to the defense of the Union in the Civil war and of his army record he has every reason to be proud. He is alike true to his country in days of peace, and now is numbered among the valued residents of York county, Nebraska.

      A native of Ohio, he was born in Newburg, November 18, 1837, a son of John M. and Catharine (Miller) Babcock, and a grandson of George and Margaret (Baker) Babcock, farming people and all natives of America. The Miller family is of Irish origin, but little is known concerning the early history of the Babcocks. William Babcock lost his father when he was only eleven years of age. The family removed to Wisconsin in 1845, locating on a farm fourteen miles northwest of Madison. That was in the territorial days of the Badger state, and the father was elected to the first constitutional convention, where he acceptably served, being regarded as one of the leading orators of that assemblage. He died in 1848 and his wife died about eleven years later, of consumption.

      William M. Babcock having received deeds from the entire family for the land comprising the old homestead, sold the property in 1860, and the following year, when twenty-three years of age, joined the Union army as a member of Company G, First Regiment of United States Volunteer Sharpshooters. The following winter they were stationed in Washington, D. C., and in March, 1862, went to Fortress Monroe, participating in the battle of Yorktown, April



5, 1862. This was followed by the siege of Yorktown, his regiment being one of the first to enter the city after its surrender. With his command Mr. Babcock then took part in the pursuit of McGreider toward Richmond, and on the 27th of May, with the Fifth Army Corps, was sent to that city to destroy the railroad communications, which was accomplished after the battle known as Hanover Courthouse. Mr. Babcock was also in the battle of Mechanicsville, and the Fifth Army Corps, under Fitz John Porter, held the field until almost dark when the forces were withdrawn to Gaines Mill, where another stand was made June 27, 1862, In this battle Companies C and G, of the First, rested on rising ground near the bridge and in the afternoon took a position one-half mile in front, crossing the bridge at night and camping on the other side of Bottam's bridge. On the 20th of June the sharpshooters were in the battle of Glen Dale, where they were twice exposed to a hot cross-fire of the enemy, and lost sixteen of their number, which was a heavy loss owing to the already depleted ranks. Next came the battle of Malvern Hill where Mr. Babcock's company was held in reserve, followed by the second battle of Bull Run, where he was struck on the leg by a broken shell but did not go the hospital. At the battle of Antietam his regiment was held in reserve but was brought to the front when Lee's army crossed the Potomac. Then came Chancellorsville, where our subject was struck on the hip by a spent ball, laming him for about two weeks, but he did not go to the hospital. Then came the battles of Fredericksburg and Gettysburg, the sharpshooters arriving on the second day of the battle, and on the 23d of July, 1863, the engagement at Waping Heights, where Mr. Babcock had his left eye knocked out, the ball sinking in the bones of the face. Unable to rise, he was carried from the field on a blanket, taken to the hospital at Washington and when he had sufficiently recovered was transferred to Company One Hundred and Thirteen, of the Second Battalion, Veteran Reserve Corps, with which he continued until the expiration of his term of enlistment brought him an honorable discharge, at Elmira, New York, November 3, 1864.

      Mr. Babcock then returned to his Wisconsin home, and on the 18th of January, 1865, married Agnes Clark. They began their domestic life on a farm there, making it their home until the autumn of 1870, when they started by wagon for York county, Nebraska, arriving at their destination October 13, 1870. Here he secured a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres on section 26, Henderson township, York county, and has since devoted his time and energies to farming. Much of his land is now under a high state of cultivation and he has made many excellent improvements on the place which are as monuments to his thrift and enterprise.

      Mr. and Mrs. Babcock have eight children: Mary May, who was married October 14, 1883, to George, son of O. P. and Catharine Stoninger, and now has four children:--Iona M., Alton G., Vertie and Victor H.; Myrtle C.; Maud Ida, who was married April 27, 1888, to E. L. Wagner, son of S. J. and Mollie Wagner, and now has four children: Leota Mable, Inez M., Attie M. and Erby; Mable A., who is the wife of Garret Thomas, son of W. A. and Margaret Thomas, and has three children, Guy W., Fay G. and Eunice I.; William A., Norma A., Clark O. and Eva I., all at home. The married children all reside near the parents.

      Mr. Babcock was formerly a Democrat, but says he will now vote for any party which pledges itself to the free and unlimited coinage of silver and will restore it to its old place as one of basic metals. The parents and five of their children are members of the United Brethren church of Lushton. All have high musical ability and can



play on some instrument, so that the home is often brightened by the popular, classic and sacred music. Mr. Babcock is a member of C. W. Hays Post, No. 336, G. A. R., and through this connection renews his relationship with his old army comrades with whom he aided in the defense of the starry banner that now floats so proudly over the united nation and has recently been unfurled in victory above some of the islands of the sea. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM G. HAINEY, one of the best known citizens of Fillmore county, is one of the earliest settlers of this state and the pioneer merchant of Grafton. A country has but one chief ruler, be he king, emperor or president. Comparatively few men can attain to the highest offices in civil and military life, but commerce offers a broad and almost limitless field in which one may exercise his powers unrestrained and gain a leadership in business affairs. Drawing the lessons which we do from the life of Mr. Hainey, we learn that the qualities necessary for success are a high ambition and a resolute, honorable purpose to reach the exalted standard that has been set up. From an early age he has been dependent upon his own resources and through his own efforts he has become one of the most prosperous and substantial citizens of Fillmore county.

      A native of Ohio, Mr. Hainey was born March 15, 1840, on the site of the present city of Cleveland. His parents, Robert and Margaret (Higgins) Hainey, were born, reared and married in County Longford, Ireland, and in 1839 they emigrated to America. After a short time spent in New York city they went to Cleveland, Ohio, where the father engaged in farming and stock raising for some years, and in 1848 removed to St. Louis, Missouri, where he was in the employ of the American Fur Company for three years, being engaged in assorting hides and furs. Later he engaged in business in that city for himself until called from this life in 1865. The wife and mother had passed away in 1854. In their family were five children, three sons and two daughters, of whom Walter was a member of the Twelfth Missouri Volunteer Infantry during the Civil war, and died from the effect of wounds received at the siege of Vicksburg, Mississippi; Major died in infancy; and the one daughter now living, Mrs. Sarah Ellis, is a resident of Detroit, Michigan. The paternal grandfather of our subject, James Hainey, was a farmer in Ireland, and was quite extensively engaged in stock buying and shipping.

      The boyhood and youth of our subject was passed in St. Louis, Missouri, where he attended schools and received a good business training by clerking in a store for some years. In 1859 he went to Pikes Peak, where he spent some time in mining, and later was given a position in the quartermaster's department of the regular army stationed on the frontier, in which capacity he served until 1863, traveling over Colorado and New Mexico. He then entered the employ of the Overland Mail Company, and on the south line drove a stage from Fort Lyon to Santa Fe, then to Fort Union and Fort Craig, and from there to Parajo, New Mexico, and made one trip over Death's Valley. Although the Indians were very troublesome at that time, he fortunately escaped an attack. In December, 1864, he resigned his position and came to Nebraska City, and the following spring began freighting across the plains to Denver, being thus engaged for three years, during which time he had three narrow escapes from the Indians. Mr. Hainey next located at Green River City where he made his home for a short time, but in 1869 returned to Nebraska City, where he remained until 1873, finding employment as a clerk for different



people. In 1873 he opened a general store in Dunbar, Nebraska, which he operated for two years, and on the 1st of October, 1875, came to Grafton, where he opened the first stock of general merchandise in the place. He is now the oldest merchant in years of continuous business in Fillmore county, and from the beginning his trade has constantly increased until it has assumed extensive proportions. He has not confined his attention wholly to mercantile pursuits, however, but has become interested in other lines of business, and served as president of the bank of Grafton for a short time. He owns an interest in the creamery at that place, and also owns and operates over one thousand acres of land in the county.

      In 1870, in Nebraska City, Mr. Hainey wedded Miss Mary B. Condon, a native of St. Louis and a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Condon. Six children blessed this union, namely: Walter, now a resident of Brooklyn, New York; Blanche, wife of F. E. Hand, of Hoboken, New Jersey; and Margaret, William R. and Lloyd, all at home. Forrest is deceased. The family are members of the Episcopal church, and socially Mr. Hainey is a member of the Masonic fraternity and the Independent Order of Odd fellows. Politically he is identified with the Democracy, and he has filled some minor offices, but cares nothing for political honors, preferring to devote his time to his business affairs. Thoroughness and persistency have characterized his entire business career, and have been supplemented by careful attention to details and by honorable, straightforward effort, that has gained him a most excellent and enviable reputation. 

Letter/label or barEORGE E. DIMICK.--The subject of this notice is certainly entitled to be considered not only one of the enterprising farmers of Polk county, but one of its respected and honored citizens, and a man of more than ordinary ability. His residence is pleasantly situated on section 35, townsship (sic) 1 range 4. He is a native of Henry county, Illinois, born September 26, 1860, and a son of Chauncey S. and Sarah A. (Lambert) Dimick. The birth of the father occurred in Ohio, August 26, 1836, and he was a son of Lucius Dimick, who had one son--Leurtis Dimick--who was captain of a company in an Illinois regiment during the Civil war.

      In Scott county, Iowa, Chauncey S. Dimick was married, October 29, 1857, to Miss Sarah A. Lambert, who was born in New Jersey, March 12, 1835, and they began their domestic life upon a farm near Orion, in Henry county, Illinois. About ten or twelve years later they removed to Cambridge, the same state, and later they came to Polk county, Nebraska, where the father broke three hundred and twenty acres of land the first year. He then returned to Illinois, and brought to this state two car loads of horses and one of lumber. He erected his residence and the next year raised a crop of wheat. He made all the improvements upon his place, set out eight acres in walnut trees and fenced four hundred acres. Dealing extensively in real estate, he became the owner of eight hundred acres of valuable and well improved land, and continued to make his home in Polk county until his death, which occurred at Osceola, August 21, 1889. His wife passed away July 16, 1897, while on a visit to her daughter in Fargo, North Dakota. They were widely and favorably known throughout the county, attended church, and she contributed to the erection of the Methodist Episcopal church in Osceola. Politically the father was a straight Republican. The children of the family were Lucius D., who was born August 19, 1858, and died February 21, 1860; George E., of this sketch; and Alice T., who was born



October 7, 1862, and is now the wife of William C. Resser, an attorney at Fargo, North Dakota, by whom she has three children-Duane C., Helen and Willie.

      Reared in Henry county, Illinois, George E. Dimick obtained a good practical education in the schools of Cambridge, that state, and of Scott county, Iowa, and he also gained an excellent knowledge of agricultural pursuits upon the home farm. On starting out in life for himself he located upon a farm on section 3, township 15, range 4, Polk county, Nebraska, and is now the owner of a valuable tract of four hundred and eighty acres, a half of which is under cultivation and well improved. In addition to general farming he is interested in stock raising, making a specialty of Hereford cattle.

      On the 14th of November, 1882, Mr. Dimick led to the marriage altar Miss Mary L. Rose, who was born in Mercer county, Illinois, December 20, 1860. Her parents John and Anna C. (Johnson) Rose, were both natives of Sweden, the former born September 30, 1821, the latter October 26, 1831, but in early life they emigrated to the New World, and have now made their home in Mercer county, Illinois, for the past forty years. By trade the father is a tailor, but is now living retired. He is a stanch Republican in politics, and he and his wife are worthy members of the Methodist church. Of their twelve children, six reached man and womanhood, namely: Theodore, now a resident of Hamilton, Montana; Matilda, wife of David Mace; Mrs. Dimick; Emma, wife of John Shank; Laura, wife of Ernest Stroburg, of Worth county, Missouri; and Emil.

      Socially Mr. Dimick belongs to the Knights of Pythias lodge and the Modern Woodmen Camp, No. 1220, both of Clarks, Nebraska. The Republican party has always found in him a stanch supporter, and during the campaign of 1896 he rendered effective service in its interest as secretary of the McKinley Club, while his wife was president of the Woman's McKinley Club. She is an earnest member of the Methodist church at Fairview, and presides with gracious dignity over their pleasant home, which is the center of a cultured society circle. 

Letter/label or barOHN MARTIN, JR., a systematic and progressive farmer successfully carrying on operations on section 22, West Blue township, Fillmore county, Nebraska, was born on the 24th of September, 1855, in Dane county, Wisconsin. His parents, John A. and Mary J. (Larmer) Martin, were both natives of Ireland and on their emigration to America, in 1848, located in Dane county, Wisconsin, where they continued to make their home until 1873. The year previous the father, who was also a farmer by occupation, came to Fillmore county, Nebraska, and took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres, it being the southeast quarter of section 20, West Blue township. To the improvement and cultivation of his land be devoted his time and attention for many years, but is now living retired in Grafton, enjoying a well-earned rest surrounded by many comforts secured by his former toil. During the Civil war he served for ten months, in 1865, as a member of Company I, Fifth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and under all circumstances has ever been found loyal to the interests of his adopted country. His estimable wife died in 1892. To them were born nine children, six sons and three daughters.

      The boyhood and youth of our subject were passed in Wisconsin, where he attended the common schools, and upon the home farm acquired an excellent knowledge of all the duties which fall to the lot of the agriculturist. He accompanied the family on their removal to Nebraska, and assisted in



opening up and cultivating the home farm. Later he engaged in the meat business in Grafton for a time, and then returned to the farm, which for the past twenty years he has so successfully operated. Prosperity has come to him in his undertakings, and he is now the owner of a quarter section of as fine farming land as is to be found in the county.

      On the 19th of May, 1878, Mr. Martin led to the marriage altar Miss Missouri Johnson, a daughter of Abraham and Sarah (Eckley) Johnson, natives of Ohio, where the father died. Later the mother came to Nebraska. Nine children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Martin, as follows: Mabel E.; Thomas L., deceased; Clara B.; Dora A.; Clarence L.; Hattie E.; Allen E.; James H.; and one who died in infancy. Mr. Martin is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and is an ardent supporter of the Populist party. He has been called upon to fill the offices of justice of the peace and road overseer, and his duties, both public and private, have always been most faithfully and conscientiously discharged. 

Letter/label or barEVEREND ALOIS J. KLEIN.--This is the name of the pious and scholarly pastor of Holy Trinity church at Brainard, who is widely known and much revered throughout this part of the state, not only for his learning and eloquence, but for his devout spirit and broad sympathies. His linguistic acquirements-besides the knowledge of Latin and Greek he speaks English, Bohemian, German and some French-make him an efficient worker in the arduous field of missionary life. He is still a young man, but his experience has given him the gravity of years, and there is a power in his speech that comes not only from the study of books, but also from a knowledge of men. A native of Bohemia, and devoted to the faith of the Roman Catholic church, he has chosen the life of a missionary priest among his people in the new world, and upon their hearts his name is ineffaceably written. His main work has thus far been found in the upbuilding of the Bohemian church of the Holy Trinity at Brainard, but he has rendered valuable service in other and minor mission movements. The Brainard church deserves careful treatment as illustrating not only the wisdom and solicitude of this pastor, but the loyal spirit of its people.

      The first Bohemian settlers, Matthias Slavik and F. Maixner located in the vicinity of Brainard in 1875. During the next two grasshopper years they were followed by Matthias Kabourek, Frank Novacek, Joseph Semin, Sr., Joseph Jakub and F. Dvorak. A more vigorous tide of immigration ensued in and after the year 1878, when the Stromsburg branch of the Union Pacific railroad was built through these parts.

      In 1883 there had already been a talk of a church in Brainard, and the first meeting was held at the Rejda public school-house, district No. 8, February 2, 1884, to consider its possibilities, which was attended by eighteen friends of the proposition. There could have been little thought of the present commodious structure devoted to their faith in later years. They were a feeble folk, but the spirit was strong, and the eighteen resolved to build. An organization was effected with Frank Dvorak, Mr. Kabourek and Louis J. Kavalec as trustees. Meanwhile F. Novacek offered ten acres of land on section 10 in Oak creek for that purpose, but it was decided in the meeting, held on October 12, 1884, to build in the village. On November 18, 1884, two lots were purchased by the new trustees, Mr. Kabourek, Vaclav Polivka and Frank Bures, in order to secure a place for the proposed church.

      Father Vaclav Kocarnik, O. S. B., now



Picture button




prior at Chicago, came from Plasi, Saunders county, to the house of Michael Flynn, two miles north and two miles east of Brainard, in November, 1884, to celebrate mass at his request, and this was the first time this holy service was held in this district belonging to the Holy Trinity parish. The land where the church now stands was deeded January 15, 1885, and consists of lots 11 and 12, block 7, first addition to Brainard, costing the modest sum of sixty-two dollars and fifty cents.

      In 1885, Ign. Dvorak, M. Kabourek and J. J. Smrz being trustees, two acres of land were purchased for a cemetery on April 25. The absence of a leading head in the person of a priest caused the necessity of very frequent meetings, and M. Kabourek was deputized to issue circular letters which were passed from family to family, inviting them to these meetings. In 1886, Vaclav Hlavac, Thomas Rehovsky and Joseph Coufal were chosen trustees. They succeeded in having a suitable fence erected around the cemetery, and on December 28, 1886, was organized a branch of the Bohemian Catholic Central Union, a benefit association, No. 130, which proved to be an important factor in the various financial, social and religious functions of the congregation.

      Services were held for the first time among the Catholics in the town of Brainard on Sunday, May 1, 1887, by the Rev. Jordan Stutz, who came over from Plasi to say mass in the public schoolhouse and baptized several children. He was called by the trustees, L. J. Lavalec, John Hotovy and Philip Novak, and later on visited Brainard, August 7 and November 6, in the same year. In the meeting of November 1, 1877, a congregation of thirty-two assembled and finally decided to erect a church. The building was begun November 6, 1887. From various causes, however, the original congregation of thirty-two who had determined to build, had dwindled to eighteen, but they went ahead and success crowned their labors. Joseph Semin, Sr., Th. Rehovsky and Anton Kucera, the building committee in 1888, exerted every possible effort to bring the matter to a successful conclusion. The church was completed in the spring of 1888 and was a tasty frame structure, 60 x 36 feet, and eighteen feet in height. It was constructed by the members of the church and is a lasting monument to their zeal and loyalty. The plans were drawn by Ign. Dvorak; he and F. Fiala, Sr., had charge of the carpenter work, while Charles Suchy was superintending the masonry.

      One year later from his first appearance Father Stutz said the first mass in the new church on Sunday, June 10, 1888. The worship thus begun has been maintained with regularity to the present time, and the large results of the formerly humble beginning attests its sincerity. The congregation received the services of Father M. Bor, of Wahoo, in March, 1889, who visited Brainard once a month for eight months. He then retired and on November 3, 1889, gave place to the present pastor, under whose administration the church had been greatly blessed.

      The zeal and generosity of the members did not stop at the moment the new church building was finished. Many benefactors arose who, besides the regular payments, furnished necessary church articles individually at their own expense.

      The mission of Brainard prospering greatly, Father Klein then located at Crete, determined to make a parish of it, and on February 21, 1893, he secured a handsome building for a new parsonage, which has been elaborately furnished and the grounds beautified. The original investment was one thousand six hundred dollars for two lots and building, but much more has since been expended, making it one of the most complete homes of the priesthood in Ne-



braska. The church had richly been ornamented and is now pronounced one of the pleasantest and most attractive, though not the largest in Butler county, and is free from debts. Its ecclesiastical precincts include the mission at Weston, where since September 5, 1893, regular services are held twice a month.

      Within the membership of the church are organized the following societies: (1) The Ladies' Rosary Society, founded in 1889, with eighteen members. (2) A branch of the Bohemian Catholic Central Union, No. 130, with a membership of twenty-four; it now bears the name The Western Bohemian Catholic Union, branch No. 11, and (3) St. Ivan's branch of the Catholic Workman, No. 16, organized January 6, 1896; it has a membership of thirty-five. The Western Union and the Catholic Workman societies have now resolved to erect a special ball for the purpose of holding their meetings and locating a library there.

      The church organization has greatly grown in the past few years and enrolls sixty-five families and its average congregation exceeds one hundred. Its financial standing being excellent, Father Klein is now planning the establishment of a parochial school. 

      FATHER ALOIS J. KLEIN is a native of the village of Frauenthal, near the famous town of Prachatic, Bohemia, where he was born February 6, 1866. He was a son of Bohemian parents, his father being the proprietor of a linseed oil factory, flour mill and shingle mill. They gave him a good education in the German public school of his birthplace and in the German school at Prachatic, where he was thoroughly trained in the German language and common branches, and then manifesting marked ability, he was sent to the Bohemian Gymnasium at Budweis. He entered this famous school in September, 1878, and for eight years attended its instruction, holding first place in his class during nearly all that time.

      In 1886 he became a student at the clerical seminary in the same place, where he spent one year in the special study of theology. From here he passed to the German University at Prague, where he devoted leisure hours to the study of French and English. And it was at Prague that he formed the determination to devote his life to missionary work among his compatriots in the new world, where his parents had emigrated already in 1881. With the consent of Bishop Bonacum, of Lincoln, Nebraska, he left in 1888 for Klagenfurt, Carinthia, where he finished his studies for the ministry and was promoted to the priesthood June 15, 1889, a special dispensation being necessary on account of his youth.

     The young priest spent three months in the village of Vitejic, Bohemia, and then came to America, first touching these shores October 31, 1889. He immediately reported for duty in Nebraska, and was at once appointed rector of St. Wenceslaus' church, in Wahoo, where in two years he paid off the last farthing of indebtedness on the parsonage and erected an elegant new church building. He had charge of missions at Weston and Brainard, visiting each once a month. December 10, 1891, he was transferred to the St. Ludmila parish, of Crete, but he retained the charge of Holy Trinity and of the Weston mission, and occasionally attended the mission of Wilber. He extricated the Crete congregation from its embarrassing situation by paying off a considerable portion of its outstanding debts. September 5, 1893, he came to Brainard as its first resident pastor. His labors at Weston may briefly be enumerated thus: In 1891 he enlarged the church building, at the same time furnishing and adorning the inside of it; two years later secured valuable additions to the church property there, started

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller