NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



St. Mark's branch of the Catholic Workman in 1896, and completed the organization of the congregation.

      After five years' stay in America he undertook a trip across the ocean to visit the Bohemian Ethnological exposition, which was held at Prague, Bohemia, in 1895. Upon his return he organized four branches of the Catholic Workman, viz.: At Brainard, Weston, Dwight and Touhy, and in 1898 was elected state chaplain to this fraternal and benevolent association.

      His ecclesiastical standing is illustrated by the fact that, in the Diocesan Synod, held at Lincoln, Nebraska, February 17, 1898, from names proposed by election of the clergy he was selected by the bishop as a member of the bishop's council and as synodal examiner of the junior clergy.

     Father Klein is a hardworking and faithful clergyman, but he has found time to devote to the muses, and is favorably known in literary circles, both in this country and in Europe, by the contribution of poems and prose articles to the leading periodicals of the day, which have been recognized as full of artistic feeling, melting melody and classical language. He has translated a number of the works of Washington Irving and Charles Lamb into Bohemian, and also from the German of Dr. Carl May. He is a welcome contributor to the "Ottuv Slovnik Naucny." This work is the largest Bohemian encyclopedia and is published at Prague, Bohemia, since 1887. The work, when completed, will consist of about thirty volumes. His friends anticipate a brilliant future for him. 

Letter/label or barOHN STOLLAR, one of York county's earliest settlers, and an old soldier with an enviable war record, has his home on section 22, Henderson township.

     John Stollar was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, May 17, 1840. His father was William Stollar, and his grandfather was Andrew Stollar, who came of Pennsylvania-Dutch parentage, and his occupation was that of a farmer. William Stollar, the father of our subject, was born in Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania, and removed to Washington county, of that state, about the year 1826. The mother of our subject bore the maiden name of Ann Rockefeller, daughter of Nathan Rockefeller, who came of Irish lineage, and of a family who were millers and fullers by trade. John Stollar worked on his father's farm in Washington county, Pennsylvania, and grew to manhood with but little opportunity for education, as the farm on which they lived had been little less than a forest, which had to be cleared and put in condition for cultivation. This required all the time and attention of every member of the family during his boyhood, so that his training was in the line of hard work and patient and untiring effort to overcome the most stubborn obstacles, and this training undoubtedly influenced his after life. When he was twenty-one years of age, John Stollar went to work for his grandfather Rockefeller, continuing thus employed until 1861, when on the 16th of August, of that year, at his country's call, he enlisted in Company B, First West Virginia Volunteer Cavalry. They were stationed near Wheeling, on an island in the Ohio river, but were shortly after sent to Clarksburg, Virginia, where many weeks were occupied in drilling and military discipline. His regiment was employed in scouting and picket duty until the second battle of Bull Run, which was the first great battle in which his regiment participated. In this engagement his horse was shot under him, and he was left on foot amid the awful confusion, until chance gave him another horse which had lost its rider. At one time he was with a portion of his regiment on picket duty at Washington junction, when they were at



tacked by a squad of Mosby's men, and after a sharp fight were captured, but their captors being in turn attacked by the Sixth New York, were driven off and the prisoners released. At another time while his regiment were doing rear-guard duty near Brandy Station, they were cut off from the main army by a body of Confederates. General Custer, who was with the regiment at the time, seeing the state of affairs, quickly formed the regiment, and placing himself at its head, cut through the enemy's lines, extricating themselves without the loss of a man. With the exception of the battle of Cedar Creek, which was fought while he was on a thirty-day sick leave, John Stollar was with his regiment in every raid and march and battle in which it was engaged from the time of his enlistment till the close of the war-at Appomattox. Mr. Stollar still has an officer's sword, taken by him from a Confederate officer a few days before the surrender of General Lee.

      About one year after his return to his home in Pennsylvania, John Stollar removed to Iowa, locating in Appanoose county, near Centerville. There he remained about four years, when he sold his farm, and in March, 1871, located in York county, Nebraska, filing a homestead claim to the southeast quarter of section 22, in Henderson township. At that time there were but few families scattered along the banks of the West Blue, while to the north and the south for many miles there was only unbroken prairie. The lumber of their buildings they hauled over sixty miles in wagons, bringing it from Lincoln. But our subject was young, and trained to arduous toil, and he found his farm duties, clearing and plowing the prairie lands and planting trees and crops more pleasant than playing hide and seek with death on southern battlefields and the lonely watch of the picket. His cheerful industry and patient labor' have born rich fruit. He is now the owner of two hundred and forty acres of fine and fertile lands, well improved and stocked, and, his well-filled bins and granaries, his stacks of yellow grain, and his waving fields tell to the evening winds a tale of peace and satisfaction grateful to the ear of him to whose toils this homestead owes existence.

      Through all his trials and hardships, his difficulties and triumphs, one has been by his side who has ever been his faithful helpmeet and counsellor. On November 2, 1865, John Stollar was married to Miss Rachel Riggs, daughter of James and Susanna (Earnest) Riggs. They were married in Pennsylvania about one year before they began their western journeyings. Mrs. Stollar's parents are still living and reside in Greene county, Pennsylvania, the father at the age of eighty-six and the mother seventy-nine years of age. They were the parents of sixteen children, fifteen of whom grew to maturity. Eleven of these children were boys and four of these sons enlisted in the Union army. Two of them, twins, enlisted in the Eighth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, one of them being killed at the battle of Fredericksburg. Two of the sons enlisted in the Eighty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. One of them came home on account of sickness, but the other two sons served to the end of the war and returned home at its close. Mr. and Mrs. Stollar are the parents of nine children, seven of whom are now living. Their names are as follows in the order of their birth: J. William, H. Sheridan, Ida May, Alethia Della, C. Herbert, Bertha Maud and Zelma Fern. Alethia Della is now the wife of Henry F. Hecht, the son of William and Mary Hecht, their wedding day being March 1, 1893. They have one daughter, Freda Carrol, now nearly four years old. They are farmers and live in York county, not far from the old homestead. Mr. and Mrs. Stollar are both consistent Christians and hold membership in the United Breth-



ren church at Lushton. Mr. Stollar is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, Hayes Post, No. 306, at Lushton, where his long and heroic services are commemorated. He is a Republican, having cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln, and has stood faithfully by that party ever since, casting his last presidential vote for William McKinley. Mr. and Mrs. Stollar firmly believe in the future of the great state of Nebraska, and their experience and knowledge of that state make a solid foundation on which to base hopes for coming generations. 

Letter/label or barNTON BRECHTEL, a well-known and successful farmer residing on section 22, Leroy township, York county, was born in Germany, February 3, 1836, and is a son of Mathias and Helen (Saner) Brechtel, also natives of Germany, where they spent their entire lives. The father was a successful farmer of that country and our subject soon became quite familiar with all the labors and duties which fall to the lot of the agriculturist. At the age of twenty years he became a member of the regular German army, in which he served for two years, and later worked on a farm for several years in his native land.

      In February, 1861, Mr. Brechtel was united in marriage with Miss Theresa Hauser, also a native of the fatherland, born April 15, 1841. This union has been blessed with twelve children, namely: Christina; Caroline; Charley; Frank, deceased; Helen; Anna; Theresa; William W.; Emma; George, Maud and Susie.

      After the death of his father, Mr. Brechtel came into possession of the old homestead, which he operated for a time. Being dissatisfied with the old country and hearing of the wonderful opportunities afforded in the United States, he decided to emigrate to America, and in the fall of 1872, with his wife and six children, he crossed the Atlantic, having first sold his farm in Germany. He located in Stephenson county, Illinois, where he bought sixty acres of land, and upon that place engaged in agricultural pursuits for seventeen years. In the spring of 1889 he sold his Illinois farm and came to York county, Nebraska, purchasing one hundred and sixty acres in Leroy township, where he has since lived. He has made many excellent improvements upon the place which add greatly to its value and attractive appearance, and now has a fine farm under a high state of cultivation and equipped with good buildings. In political sentiment he is a Democrat. His honor and integrity are unimpeachable, and he merits and receives the esteem and respect of the entire community. 

Letter/label or barEORGE THEOBALD, one of the most prosperous and successful farmers of Franklin township, Fillmore county, Nebraska, has made his home upon his present fine farm on section 32 since 1887. He is a man of great energy and perseverance and has effected many improvements upon the place since taking possession. He was at once recognized as a valued addition to the community, a man possessing excellent judgment, and giving his support and encouragement to those enterprises calculated for the general welfare.

      Mr. Theobald was born in Ohio, October 30, 1859, a son of William and Elizabeth (Hauser) Theobald, natives of Germany, who in early life emigrated to Pike county, Ohio. They were married in Germany. They came to this country with the hope of securing a competence and were very successful in carving out a fortune for themselves and family. They died not only rich in this world's goods, but also in the honor and high regard in which they were uniformly held. The father passed away at the age



of sixty-one, the mother at the age of fifty-nine, leaving a host of friends as well as their immediate family to mourn their loss. Their remains were interred in the cemetery at St. Joseph, Illinois. They were faithful members of the German Methodist church, with which they united in their youth. In their family were the following children: Conrad, George, Henry, Philip, William, Isaac, John, Kate, Maggie and Barbara.

      During his boyhood and youth George Theobald pursued his studies in the common schools, and when his education was completed he turned his attention to agricultural pursuits which he has made his life work. On the 10th of February, 1889, he was united in marriage with Miss Dora Walter, who was born in Germany, December 19, 1861, and was educated in the public schools of Illinois. Her parents, Henry and Elizabeth (Tidka) Walter, were also natives of Germany and after their marriage emigrated to the new world, locating in Mason county, Illinois, where the father engaged in farming throughout the greater part of his life. Later he removed to Havana, Illinois, and spent his last days in retirement from active labor. Like our best German-American citizens, he was thrifty, industrious and honorable in all his dealings and was ever true to his duties of citizenship. Both he and his wife were life-long members of the Lutheran church, and had the respect of all who knew them. Their children were William, Frederick, Minnie, Louisa and Dora. The father died in Illinois at the age of fifty-nine years, the mother at the age of thirty-eight. Mr. and Mrs. Theobald have two children: Pearl, now ten years old; and Goldey, five years.

      Soon after their marriage our subject and his wife came to Fillmore county, Nebraska, and in Franklin township purchased an improved farm of two hundred and forty acres, upon which they have since resided, his time and attention being devoted to its cultivation and further improvement. Prosperity has crowned his efforts, and although still a comparatively young man, he has already gained a comfortable competence as well as the confidence and respect of all who know him. 

Letter/label or barOSTER MARTIN REYNOLDS, deceased.--In the death of Mr. Reynolds, of Center township, Butler county lost a worthy citizen and excellent farmer, as well as one of the early settlers of the county. The estate upon which he had been living since 1868 is situated in section 35, of the above named township, and bears a full line of improvements, including every convenient arrangement in the way of buildings and adornments with which persons of good taste surround themselves.

      Mr. Reynolds was born in Pennsylvania, in November, 1847, and was reared there. He first moved to Butler county, Nebraska, a single man, but in 1868 he returned to Pennsylvania and was united in marriage to Miss Charlotte E. Reed, a native of that state and a daughter of John Reed. Returning to Nebraska, he lived for one year in Otoe county, where Edgar C. Reynolds, their first son, was born. Edgar C. was reared in Butler county and there received a common-school education which he supplemented with a course at the David City High School, and finished at the Wesleyan University, at Lincoln, Nebraska. He was married, in 1896, to Miss Minnie I. McGee, who moved to that county from West Virginia, as a teacher. She is a daughter of William McGee, of West Virginia. To this union has been born one son, upon whom they have bestowed the name of Foster, after his grandfather. Edgar C. Reynolds is following his father's plan of life and is quite extensively engaged in farming and stock raising. He is a man of good education and a practical knowledge of



farming and will doubtless soon be recognized as one of the substantial and leading agriculturists of Butler county.

      Three children were born to our subject's first marriage, viz.: Edgar C., Burdette M. and Scott. Burdette M. was prepared for a teacher at the Wesleyan University and the Lincoln Normal School, and is now engaged in teaching. Scott is living on the old homestead. Mrs. Charlotte E. Reynolds, our subject's first wife, died in 1876, and he was subsequently married to Mary E. Crumley, of Nebraska City, who, with the six children born to this union, Roy, Winnie, Mabel, Izetta, Carl and Sarah, survive him. Throughout his career in Butler county, Foster Reynolds, the subject of this sketch, was loyal to the principles of Christianity, and showed himself to be a man in whom all might place the highest confidence. In business matters he was quite successful and accumulated considerable means and made a pleasant and comfortable home. He was a loyal citizen and an earnest and enthusiastic supporter of everything which tends to develop and bring prosperity to the locality in which he lived. In addition to his farming interests he was a leader in the Prohibition party and was a member of the state central committee. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and also of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, Mr. Reynolds died in Butler county, Nebraska, and is buried in the Ware cemetery. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM S. McCOY.--Among the prominent men now living in David City who have won an honorable name as citizens of that thriving town, none is better deserving of representation in a volume of this nature than William S. McCoy. He is still in the prime of vigorous manhood, but has already risen to a position of considerable prominence, and has done so by dint of his own efforts, backed by the indomitable will and powers of mind which have come to him as a heritage from industrious and thrifty ancestors.

      Mr. McCoy was born in Montgomery county, Indiana, November 6, 1856, a son of Rev. Lindsey McCoy. The father was also born in Indiana, and by occupation was a farmer and a minister of the gospel. He died January 1, 1888. His father, Stephen McCoy, was a native of Kentucky and moved from thence to Indiana in about the year 1820, located on a farm and there spent the remaining years of his life. He was of Scotch and Irish descent. Our subject's mother, Sarah J. Cowan, was also a native of Indiana and died in her native state in July, 1896. Her father, William H. Cowan, was a native of the state of Ohio, and moved to Indiana in an early day. He was also a farmer by occupation.

      Rev. and Mrs. Lindsey McCoy were the parents of a family of six children, all of whom grew to maturity, and of whom our subject is the oldest. He was reared in the county of his nativity, and attended the public school of the district in which his boyhood was spent. He afterward took a course in the Valparaiso State Normal School, leaving there in 1876. Two years later he went to Butler county, Nebraska, and spent two years on a farm with his uncle, J. F. McCoy. He then went to Rising City, Butler county Nebraska, and was there engaged in the general merchandise business until 1888. During that year he began the practice of law in that city and followed the practice of that profession at that place until March, 1894. He then moved to David City and opened a law office there, and has since made that his base of operations. He was appointed city attorney in 1896, and the following year he was elected city clerk.

      November 4, 1880, Mr. McCoy was united in marriage to Miss Lucinda C.



Jones, a native of the state of Illinois and a daughter of A. H. and Elizabeth (Ritchey) Jones, and to this union have been born two children: May, and one who died in infancy. Mr. McCoy has been a lifelong stanch Republican, and cast his first presidential vote for James A. Garfield in 1880. He was the nominee on the Republican ticket for county judge, but was defeated by a small majority. He and his wife are both members of the Christian church. 

Letter/label or barILLIAM P. HAGER is a prosperous representative of the agricultural interests of Nebraska, and has a well kept farm on section 7, Hays township. He is still a young man, counts his age still in the thirties, and is brimful of ambition and energy. He came to York county with his parents, Oliver P. and Elizabeth A. (Show) Hager, who were among the earlier settlers of this region. His father filed a soldier's homestead claim to the southwest quarter of section 8, Hays township, in spring of 1871, and located his wife and family there in the fall of the following year. He and his wife were natives of Pennsylvania, and came from that state into Illinois, where they spent six years in LaSalle and Marshall counties before their appearance in this state. They are now living in retirement in the city of York.

      Mr. Hager was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, June , 1861, and was four years old when his parents went to Illinois to live, and about ten when they entered York county to spend the balance of their days. He grew to manhood on their York county homestead, receiving such schooling as the neighborhood afforded, and taking a practical common sense view of life. In 1880 he went to farming on his own account, and for three years tilled a rented farm. He then bought eighty acres, which constituted the nucleus of his present farm.

      He has added to this first tract enough from sections 17 and 7 to increase his acreage to a half section, which has become under his unflagging industry a highly improved and finely cultivated farm. He has a reservoir near his residence which is stocked with edible fish. From this he draws water to irrigate his garden securing an abundance of summer vegetables. He has an extensive ice house, putting up every winter crystal comfort for the the (sic) summer. He is enterprising, pushing, and unusually successful.

      Mr. Hager was married in November, 1883, to Miss H. E. Morss. She was born in Ripley county, Indiana, and is a daughter of John M. and Ann (Purdue) Morss. Her father now lives in York county. She came to this county with her mother in 1881. Mr. and Mrs. Hager are the parents of four children, three of whom are now living. Their names are John, Claude, Roy and Chauncey B., who died April 7, 1898, aged thirteen months. Mr. Hager is a member of the Ancient Order of the United Workmen, and takes a thoroughly independent course in all political and other affairs. He believes in honesty, independence and truth, and is not willing that any convention or party should dictate his vote to him. He stands well among his neighbors, and is regarded as a man whose future is promising. He has since purchased the old homestead of one hundred and sixty acres. 

Letter/label or barHOMAS A. MOORE, one of the most extensive and successful stock raisers and feeders of Polk county, his home being on section 4, township 15, range 3, Platte precinct, was born on the 10th of June, 1842, in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, a son of Andrew and Hannah (Whitson) Moore, also natives of Pennsylvania, and members of the Society of Friends. In the family were four children, three sons and one daughter, and the former were all



numbered among the boys in blue during the Civil war. Joseph was a member of the Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry, and was in battles of the Army of the Potomac for four years; Jeremiah, now a resident of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was an orderly sergeant in the same regiment. The sister, Dr. Rebecca Moore, is a graduate of the Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia, and is a well-known physician of that city.

      As his parents died when he was very young, Thomas A. Moore was reared by a maternal uncle, who was a farmer and miller of Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, and our subject, before he attained his majority, had acquired an excellent knowledge of both lines of business, while his literary education was obtained in the schools of Maple Grove. On the 11th of June, 1863, he enlisted in Company C, Fiftieth Pennsylvania Militia, as corporal, and after doing guard duty on the Susquehanna river for a time, he proceeded with his company to the state capital and later to the Potomac. About a week after the battle of Gettysburg he assisted in capturing seventeen notorious guerillas (sic) at Peach Bottom, surprising them while at supper, and all surrendered at once although their captors were mere boys. Later the regiment operated along the Potomac, was in a three hours' fight under General Couch at Hagerstown, did guard duty at Williamsport, Falling Waters and Clear Springs. On the expiration of his term of enlistment, Mr. Moore was honorably discharged at Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and returned home. In February, 1864, he went to Ypsilanti, Michigan, where he engaged in farming for a time, but subsequently enlisted as a private in Company A, Twenty-fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry, which was ordered to Springfield, Illinois, to guard prisoners. They also acted as military escort at the burial of President Lincoln. The war having ended and his services being no longer needed, Mr. Moore was mustered out July 3, 1865, and returned to Ypsilanti, Michigan, where he engaged in farming, dairying and stock raising.

      On the 12th of March, 1867, he was united in marriage with Miss Eliza A. Kelley, a native of Ypsilanti, and a daughter of Christian and Sarah Ann (Steers) Kelley, who were honored pioneer settlers of Michigan. Her grandfather Steers was a pilot for Commodore Perry on Lake Erie, and was drowned about a year after the memorable naval conflict at that place. Mrs. Moore was born September 28, 1846, and was educated at Ypsilanti. By her marriage to our subject she has become the mother of four children: Arthur K., who married Ella Gardner; Ella Gertrude, wife of A. B. Campbell, by whom she has two children, Mary M. and Lillian; Clinton T., at home; and Charles Starr, deceased.

      Mr. Moore came to Polk county, Nebraska, October 13, 1887, and has since resided upon his present fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres, giving his entire time and attention to the stock business. He owns a fine gasoline engine which operates a pump, supplying water through a two thousand foot pipe to a large number of horses, cattle, sheep and hogs. It is also used in grinding cornmeal, etc. Mr. Moore is thoroughly up to date in his methods of carrying on his ranch, being one of the most enterprising and progressive business men of his community, and the success that has crowned his efforts is certainly well deserved. By birthright he is a member of the Society of Friends. Fraternally he belongs to the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and Ellsworth Post, No. 29, G. A. R., of Silver Creek, in which he served as commander for two years, and for the same length of time he was also commander of the district, now known as the Platte Valley District Reunion. Since casting his first vote for Abraham Lincoln, he has been unswerving



in his allegiance to the Republican party, but has never cared for the honors or emoluments of public office, only serving as a member of the school board of his district. As a citizen, friend and neighbor, he is true to every duty and justly merits the esteem in which he is held. 

Letter/label or barEORGE W. SWARTS, an agriculturist of energy and ability, who is residing on section 6, West Blue township, Fillmore county, Nebraska, is a native of Canada, his birth occurring in Brant county, November 9, 1842. His parents, William and Sarah (Edmunds) Swarts, were natives of New York and Pennsylvania, respectively, but the greater part of their lives was passed in Canada, where their deaths occurred.

      Reared in his native land, George W. Swarts was educated in its public schools, and there received his business training upon the home farm. In 1864, he removed to Livingston county, Illinois, where he bought land and made his home for nineteen years, during which time he met with excellent success in his farming operations. The year 1883 witnessed his arrival in Fillmore county, Nebraska, and here he purchased two hundred and twenty-five acres of rich and fertile land, besides a tract of one hundred and sixty acres in York county. This property was practically unimproved, but with characteristic energy he set to work to make it one of the best farms in this region, and his efforts have been crowned with success, for the land is now under excellent cultivation and supplied with all conveniences and accessories found upon a model farm of the nineteenth century.

      On the 27th of March, 1872, in Livingston county, Illinois, Mr. Swarts was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Rook, a native of Delaware and a daughter of William and Mary (Beckett) Rook, who in an early day removed to Illinois, where his father is still living. The children born of this union are as follows: Emma S., now the wife of L. A. Frederick, who lives near the Swarts homestead; William, Harvey J., Clara B., and Olive L., all at home.

      In his social relations Mr. Swarts is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and in political sentiment is a stalwart Republican, being one of the leaders of the party in his community. He has served as a delegate to county conventions, but has never sought nor desired official honors. As a business man he has been remarkably successful and his course in life has ever been such as to commend him to the confidence and esteem of all with whom he has come in contact either in business or private life. He is a public-spirited and enterprising citizen, who is thoroughly interested in whatever tends to promote the moral, intellectual and material welfare of his community, and gives a liberal support to all objects for the public good. 

Letter/label or barENJAMIN A. JOHNSON, deceased, was one of the honored pioneers of York county, and was highly respected by all who knew him. He was born in Wapello county, Iowa, May 25, 1849, a son of Nicholas Johnson, a native of Indiana, who removed with his family to Iowa at an early day, being among the first settlers of Wapello county. As his mother died when he was only two years old, our subject was reared by an elder sister, and grew to manhood upon a farm in his native state. He then operated his father's farm until the latter's death, when he decided to try his fortune in Nebraska.

      In July, 1872, accompanied by his wife and daughter, Emma J., Mr. Johnson came to York county, and bought a homestead right to eighty acres of land on section 20,



McFadden township. He immediately built a sod-house, 14 x 22 feet on the inside, with two foot walls, a dirt floor and dirt roof, into which he moved his family. While to the present generation it might appear to be a very crude abode, it nevertheless proved to be a comfortable home and was expremely (sic) warm in winter and corresponding cool in summer. The following year a pine floor was added to the dwelling which was many times referred to by the housewife with a pardonable degree of pride, as it was one of the first in the neighborhood. Mr. Johnson was fortunate in having bought a homestead right to a place on which had already been planted wheat and corn, as he arrived late in the season and had something to live on the first winter. He went to work with a will to establish a home for his family, but before he was able to make many improvements, he was taken ill with lung fever and after a brief illness died June 15, 1876. His death was deeply mourned by the early settlers, for wherever known he was held in high regard and had already made many friends in this community.

      In Iowa Mr. Johnson was married, August 3, 1870, to Miss Ann Howell, who was born in England, March 18, 1847, and came to America in the fall of 1860, with her parents, Matthew and Jane (Watkins) Howell, mention of whom will be made on another page of this volume in connection with the sketch of Matthew Howell. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, namely: Emma J., now the wife of Joseph Cudaback, a farmer of Hays township, York county; William H., who died September 24, 1874, at the age of ten months; and Frank D., who was born May 31, 1875, and resides with his mother, having charge of the farming operations.

      Considering the fact that Mrs. Johnson was left a widow with two children to care for at a time when the. country was practically unsettled and undeveloped, and with no other improvements upon the homestead than a sod house, she deserves much credit, for the manner in which she has conducted her business affairs by herself, as well as rearing and educating her children. The farm is now under a high state of cultivation and supplied with modern improvements. America's youth owe their successful traits of character to mothers of such mettle. In addition to the original homestead and its many improvements, Mrs. Johnson has bought and paid for forty acres, and she still continues to personally supervise and successfully manage her own business affairs. She is one of the original members of the Pleasant Ridge United Brethren church, and contributed liberally to the fund for the construction of the present house of worship. In an early day meetings were held in the sod houses of the settlers, later in school houses and finally in their own church edifice. 

Letter/label or barRRICK BUNTING.--Among the prosperous farmers and extensive stockraisers of Butler county, Nebraska, the record of whose lives fills an important place in this volume, it gives us pleasure to commemorate the name of this gentleman, whose home is on section 34, Franklin township. He was born in Mercer county, Illinois, May 17, 1855, and is the youngest in a family of nine children. A sketch of his parents is given on another page of this work in connection with that of his brother, William M. Bunting.

      The first seventeen years of his life Orrick Bunting spent in the county of his nativity, aiding in the labors of the home farm and attending the district schools of the locality. On coming to Butler county, Nebraska, in 1873, he took up his residence upon the farm where he still continues to reside, and at once turned his attention to the improvement and cultivation of his land.



      He was married, December 19, 1874, to Miss Susan Wolfe, a native of Hancock county, Illinois, who, when a girl of fourteen years, came to Butler county with her parents, Henry and Mary (Fielder) Wolfe. Mr. and Mrs. Bunting began housekeeping upon the farm which he had previously secured, and there they have made their home continuously since, with the exception of one year spent in Missouri. All the improvements made upon the place has been the work of his hands, the fields are well tilled, and the place, comprising one hundred and sixty acres, is one of the most desirable farms of its size in the county. Mr. Bunting has given special attention to stock-raising, and now has a fine herd of two hundred and five head of cattle upon the place. He does all his own shipping, thus saving the commission usually required, and in this branch of his business has met with marked success, being to-day one of the well-to-do citizens of his community.

      Mr. and Mrs. Bunting have the following living children, all born in Butler county, namely: Ora, now the wife of Ed. Wonderlech, a resident of David City; Walter, Arthur, Ernest, Vera and Leona, all at home. Mr. Bunting is one of the most energetic and progressive citizens of Franklin township, and is actively identified with all its interests. In politics, he is a stanch Populist, and is a warm supporter of the principles and beliefs of that party. 

Letter/label or barAMUEL BARLEAN.--The subject of this personal history is a well-known resident of Olive township, Butler county, living on section 34, and is highly esteemed as a man of industry and enterprise, besides being a worthy citizen and having to his credit an unblemished war record.

      Mr. Barlean was born September 24, 1838, in Ashland county, Ohio, which at that time formed a part of Richiand county. His father, Michael Barlean, had settled in that state at an early day, having removed there from Pennsylvania, where his ancestors had made their home for four or five generations. Reared on a farm in his native state our subject acquired his education in the public schools of the neighborhood, and early became familiar with farm work in its various departments. At the age of nineteen years he removed to Knox county, Illinois, where he remained for one year, going overland to Mahaska county, Iowa, in 1858, and making his home there until coming to Butler county, Nebraska, on the 3rd of April, 1871, when he took possession of his present farm of one hundred and sixty acres on section 34, Olive township. The place is now under excellent cultivation and well improved with good farm buildings, which stand as monuments to his thrift and industry. The farm is also. well stocked.

      Feeling that his country needed his services during the dark days of the Civil war, Mr. Barlean enlisted in 1862 in Company C, Thirty-third Iowa Volunteer Infantry. The following year he was with the command that met Kirby Smith and his forces at Helena, Arkansas, and after the engagement at that place proceeded to Little Rock, thence to New Orleans and Mobile Point, Alabama, where the army was re-organized. When the war was over and his services were no longer needed Mr. Barlean was honorably discharged and returned to his home in Mahaska county, Iowa, to resume farming, quite willing that the sword should be be (sic) beaten into ploughshares.

     In 1868, Mr. Barlean was married in Mahaska county, to Miss Sarah Cecil, a daughter of Andrew Cecil, a native of Kentucky, and they have become the parents of nine children who are still living, namely: Cora Abby, who was born in Iowa, and is now the wife of George McLaughlin; Clarabelle, now Mrs. John Pinney, of Butler

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2
Next page

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller