NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



ing two years were passed, and for the same length of time he made his home in Tazewell county, that state. It was in 1871 that he came to Fillmore county, Nebraska, and homesteaded the northwest quarter of section 20, West Blue township. Upon this wild tract he erected a small frame house, the lumber for which he bought in Crete, and then turned his attention to breaking and cultivating the land, which he soon transformed into productive and fertile fields. After six years spent upon his farm, he removed to Grafton, which was just starting, and for about four years he worked at the carpenter's trade. During the following ten years he was principally engaged in buying and shipping grain, and was later interested in the lumber trade until 1897, when he was appointed postmaster by President McKinley, and that office he still continues to fill to the entire satisfaction of all concerned. Since 1886 he has also conducted a furniture and undertaking store, and by fair and honorable dealing has built up an excellent trade in that line.

      On the 20th of February, 1868, Mr. Bosserman married Miss Lettie M. Marsh, a native of Illinois, and a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Forseman) Marsh. Four sons have been born of this union: Charles C., who is now engaged in teaching school in Fillmore county; John A., who is engaged in the undertaking business with his father; William E., a druggist of Grafton; and Harry E., who is still attending school.

      Mr. and Mrs. Bosserman both hold membership in the Congregational church, and he is also a member of the Masonic fraternity and James Shields Post, No. 33, Grand Army of the Republic. His political support is always given the men and measures of the Republican party, and he assisted in its organization in the county. He has filled the office of justice of the peace for four years, has been township treasurer two terms, and his public and private life are alike above reproach. His various official duties have been discharged with a promptness and fidelity worthy of all commendation. He is emphatically a man of enterprise, positive character, indomitable energy, strict integrity and liberal views, and is thoroughly identified in feeling with the growth and prosperity of the county. 

Letter/label or barSAAC J. FARLEY, deceased, a man of man of whom it might well be said "He prospered, because of his industry, supplemented by his genuine integrity," was born in Columbia county, Pennsylvania, August 14, 1847. His home was in Thayer township, in York county, near the village of Thayer, Nebraska.

      Our subject's parents, John and Emily (Reader) Farley, were natives of Pennsylvania. They contented themselves in their rural home in that state and never moved to any other portion of the country. They were the parents of eight children, six daughters and two sons. Our subject was the youngest child.

      Mr. Farley received a liberal education in Pennsylvania and for some years followed school-teaching. He also turned his attention to agriculture and finding his inclinations favored the latter pursuit, decided to move westward. and settle on a farm. He purchased eighty acres of unimproved railroad land in York county and on it erected a small frame house. A larger residence has taken the place of the original house and is a comfortable home in every particular. Mr. Farley added a quarter-section to his first purchase and the entire tract was under cultivation and highly improved at the time of his death.

      Our subject was united in marriage October, 1875, with Miss Anna C. Sidler, a daughter of John and Catherine Sidler, natives of Pennsylvania. To Mr. and Mrs. Farley were born six children: Catherine



L.; Samuel J., deceased; Christian C.; Hattie E.; Edgar and Isaac W.

      The family united with the Lutheran church, and Mr. Farley died February, 1895, an exemplary member of that denomination. He was a man of honor and commanded the respect of the community in which he lived. Mr. Farley's political views were Democratic. 

Letter/label or bar. B. CORY, an enterprising and prosperous agriculturist, residing on section 18, West Blue township, has been prominently identified with the farming interests of Fillmore county since pioneer days, and is one of those men who, while promoting his own individual interests, has not been unmindful of those round about him and has done all in his power to advance the public welfare.

      Mr. Cory was born in Wyoming county, New York, August 11, 1839, and is a son of Sanford and Ruth (Butler) Cory, also natives of the Empire state. The former, who was left fatherless during his childhood, was reared in New York, and there followed farming until accidentally killed by a falling tree when about forty years of age. The mother's death occurred in Crete, Nebraska. To this worthy couple were born four sons and five daughters. Two of the family are now residents of this state.

      J. B. Cory is indebted to the public schools of New York state for his educational privileges, and early in life he became familiar with all the duties which fall to the lot of the agriculturist, so that he is now one of the most thorough and competent farmers of his community. In his native state he followed his chosen calling until the fall of 1861, when he offered his services to the government to assist in putting down the rebellion, enlisting in Company G, Ninth New York Cavalry. He was in the service for three years and nine months and participated in the battles of Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Cedar Creek, Sperryville, Second Bull Run, Cedar Mountain, Brandy Station, Five Forks, Appomattox Court House; besides a number of other engagements and skirmishes in the Shenandoah valley. Near Old Church, Virginia, he was wounded in the side, and also received a slight wound on the head. At the close of the war he was mustered out at Alexandria, Virginia, and returned to his home in New York with a war record in which he may take a just pride.

      On leaving the east in 1866, Mr. Cory removed to Benton county, Iowa, where he made his home for six years, and in 1872 came to Fillmore county, Nebraska, and took up a homestead and also a timber claim. After the erection of a small frame house, into which he moved, he turned his attention to the cultivation of his land. Soon acre after acre was placed under the plow, and he now has an excellent farm of two hundred and forty acres, improved with good and substantial buildings. In 1874 the grasshoppers destroyed all his crops with the exception of the wheat, and although he has had other hardships with which to contend, he has, through his industry, perseverance and good management, become quite well-to-do.

      In York county, Nebraska, in 1881, Mr. Cory wedded Miss Nancy Sloniger, who was born in Ohio, and is one of a family of eleven children born to Oliver and Catherine (Norton) Sloniger, who were natives of Pennsylvania and Ohio, respectively. Two children have blessed the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Cory, viz: Clara, born April 30, 1882, died in 1893; and Perry N., born August 13, 1884. Mrs. Cory is a member of the Congregational church of Grafton, and our subject is connected with the Grand Army post at that place. He casts his ballot with the Republican party, but has never sought nor desired the honors or emolu-



ments of public office. He is a man of strong and earnest convictions, is honorable and upright in the daily walks of life, and fully deserves the reputation he has won of being in every respect a good citizen. 

Letter/label or barOSEPH SMITH CHAMBERLAIN, a prominent farmer and early settler of Butler county, Nebraska, was born in Northampton county, Pennsylvania, July 30, 1849. His home is located on section 24, Union township, near the village of Garrison, Nebraska.

      Christopher K. Chamberlain, the father of our subject, was born in Hunterdon county, New Jersey, December, 1816. During his early life he was engaged in the wire mills in South Easton, Pennsylvania, where he helped make the first Atlantic cable. Christopher K. 's father, Samuel Chamberlain, came from Scotland in the early days with his two brothers, and settled in New Jersey. Our subject's mother, Jemima Smith, was a daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Smith, of New Jersey. Christopher K. Chamberlain and Jemima Smith were married in New Jersey in 1837. They have three sons and five daughters now living: Samuel and Daniel in South Easton, Pennsylvania; Joseph, in Butler county, Nebraska; Emeline in Hayes Center, Nebraska; and Sarah, Anna, Alice and Irene, in El Reno, Oklahoma Territory. Our subject's father moved with his family in March, 1869, to Muscatine, Iowa, where they remained fourteen months. They then removed to Butler County, Nebraska, reaching Schuyler by rail, thence overland to their new home. Their first residence was the sod house of O. J. Hillman, Emeline's husband, who had located there the spring before.

      Our subject homesteaded the north half of the northeast quarter of section 24 and on it, in conformity with the homestead laws, soon after built him a house. It was a sod house and was afterwards used for a school house and in it the first school in this district was taught. Our subject's father homesteaded the south half of the same quarter-section.

      In October, 1880, Mr. Chamberlain was married to Nancy R. Spurgin, of Iowa, a daughter of Abraham and Hannah (Hobson) Spurgin. Abraham Spurgin was a native of Tennessee and his father was a merchant, formerly from North Carolina. Hannah Hobson was born in Indiana and married Abraham Spurgin in Henry county, Iowa. Her husband engaged in farming in Henry county, and later in Hardin county, and it was in the latter county Mrs. Chamberlain was born. She received her education in her native state, afterward going to Nebraska as a teacher in the district of which Mr. Chamberlain's father was one of the school directors. Her sister, Minerva E. Spurgin, is also a teacher and is at present engaged in Schuyler, Nebraska. Mr. and Mrs. Chamberlain are the parents of two children, Winifred H. and Lawrence S.

      Their present home, built on the site of the original sod house, is one of comfort and refinement. Both our subject and his wife are prominent in educational and literary circles and are members of the Garrison High School Library Board. They are constant readers of the best literature of the day and earnest workers in the interest of social reforms. They are faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Chamberlain was one of the organizers of the Garrison Cemetery Association and is its treasurer. He is also a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. 

Letter/label or barOSEPH CARNEY is a prosperous and honored citizen of Fillmore county, Nebraska, who has for over a quarter of a century successfully engaged in agricultural




pursuits on section 32, West Blue township. He commenced life for himself in limited circumstances, but being a man of sound judgment and good business ability, he has met with well-deserved success, and is now the possessor of a fine farm and comfortable competence.

      Mr. Carney was born in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, November 7, 1832, and is a son of Samuel and Susan (Stuckey) Carney, also natives of that state. The paternal grandfather, Joseph Carney, was also born in Pennsylvania, where he spent his entire life, but the maternal grandfather, Simon Stuckey, was a native of Virginia, though he became a resident of the Keystone state and there died. The parents of our subject also departed this life in Pennsylvania, the father dying in 1885, the mother in 1882. The former was a blacksmith by trade but during the greater part of his life engaged in farming. He had eight children, seven sons and one daughter, of whom four sons are now living in Nebraska, and all are following farming with the exception of one, who is engaged in the hardware business in Sutton.

      During his boyhood and youth, Joseph Carney obtained an excellent knowledge of all the duties which fall to the lot of the agriculturist and also received a fair public-school education. On starting out in life for himself, he chose the occupation to which he had been reared. During the Civil war, he enlisted in July, 1863, in the Pennsylvania State Militia, for three months, but saw no-active service. In December of that year he removed to Knox county, Illinois, where he made his home for nine years, and in March, 1872, came to Fillmore county, Nebraska, taking up a homestead on section 32, West Blue township. His first home here was a small frame house, in which he and his family lived while he converted the wild land into highly cultivated fields. By subsequent purchase he has added to his farm until now he has four hundred acres of valuable land, making it one of the best and most desirable places of the township. In connection with general farming he is also engaged in stock raising, and so successful has he been that he has never had occasion to regret his removal to this state.

      In Knox county, Illinois, Mr. Carney was married, in 1869, to Miss Mary Mills, a native of Maryland, and a daughter of William and Mary Mills, and of this this (sic) union four children have born, namely: William L., Margaret V., Mary A. and Susie M., all living. Mr. Carney and his family hold membership in the Congregational church in Grafton and occupy an enviable position in the best social circles of their community. Socially he affiliates with the Knights of Pythias and politically is identified with the Populist party. Upright, reliable and honorable, his strict adherence to principle commands the respect of all. 

Letter/label or barERDINAND FREDERICK FRANZ PLAMBECK, one of Milligan, Nebraska's, prominent business men, is a native of Germany, having been born in Eckernfoerde, Schleswig, Holstein, Germany, December 5, 1865. He was the son of Claus Joachim and Christina (Couscherung) Plambeck. His father is a man of wealth living in retirement in Germany, aged eighty-two years. Mr. Plambeck's brother, Chris, is a very wealthy dry-goods merchant of Germany and his sister married a very prominent business man, who belongs to one of the aristocratic German families. Our subject's mother died many years ago in her native land. Our subject is the only one of the family who ventured to America.

      Mr. Plambeck was educated in the public schools of his native land and also completed a gymnasium course at the age of sixteen years. He made a tour of the



European countries and held high positions in his own land, working part of the time for his father. In 1890 he emigrated to America and landed May 1st He came to this country in company with a family whom he aided financially, and immediately upon his arrival he was compelled to seek employment. He proceeded to Iowa and from Crawford county he removed to West Point, Nebraska, and was employed as a helper in a butcher shop. Later a friend from his native country used his influence in establishing him with a wholesale house in Omaha, Nebraska, and he was their representative for some time. His honest dealings won him the respect of business men and he is now established in a hotel in Milligan and is one of the substantial business men of his county.

      In 1888 Mr. Plambeck was married to Miss Anna Vurhring, who was born in Freidrichstadt in 1869. She died in 1889 and it was on account of his bereavement that Mr. Plambeck decided to come to the United States. Mr. Plambeck was married a second time, October 24, 1894, this time to Miss Mamie Chase, a daughter of Welch and Sarah (McLaughlin) Chase, who moved from Ohio and took a homestead in Saline county, upon which they are now living. Mrs. Plambeck is an ardent worker for the cause of temperance. She has two sisters living in Nebraska. Mr. and Mrs. Plambeck are the parents of two children, Everett and Frank.

      Mr. Plambeck is a stanch Republican and is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. 

Letter/label or barICHARD J. COOK, one of the early settlers and a widely known and honored citizen of Butler county, Nebraska, was born in Pickaway county, Ohio, November 18, 1827. His present home is on section 32, in Center township, near Garrison.

      Our subject's grandfather was a native of Maryland, but in an early day settled in Ohio, where John Cook, the father of our subject, was born. The son followed his father's occupation, that of farming, and was married to Hattie Halloway, a daughter of Armel Showell Halloway, of Maryland.

      Richard J. Cook was the oldest child and had three brothers and four sisters. One brother, Armel Cook, lived and died in Knox county, Illinois; one brother is now living at Hillsdale, Illinois; of the sisters, Ann Meredith married Jefferson Wright and settled in Oregon; Sarah Ellen married Harvey Onderkirk and lives in Knox county, Illinois, as does also the sister, Nancy J. Potts; Derinda E. Elwell lives near Ottawa, Kansas.

      Our subject was reared in his native state and county, and during his twenty-first year moved with his parents to Illinois, settling in Knox county, about fifteen miles southeast of Galesburg. Here Mr. Cook was married in 1852, to Nancy Godfrey, a daughter of Enoch Godfrey, a native of Maryland, who emigrated to Ohio when a young boy, afterward going to Knox county, Illinois, in 1833. Mrs. Cook has two sisters and one brother, all of whom are living in Nebraska; John W. Godfrey, living in Syracuse; Caroline Sharp, in Boyd county, and Elizabeth Simpkins, in Butler county. Mr. and Mrs. Cook are the parents of nine children, born in Illinois, and are named as follows: Benjamin A., Mary Elizabeth, Rufus B., Charles M., Hattie M., Rhoda B., Owen D., Thomas M. and Hettie. Benjamin A. Cook lives in Illinois and has a son, Fred A., and a daughter, Kittie. Mary Elizabeth Henderson lives in Polk county, Nebraska, and has four children, Lula, Frank, Albert and Elsie. Rufus B. Cook is in Garrison, Nebraska, and has five children, Effie, Myrl, Clyde, Nina and Laura. Charles M. Cook is in David City,



Nebraska, and has two children, Clem K. and Fay. Hattie M. Roberts is living in Butler county, and is the mother of three children, Charles A., Katie and Jackson C. Rhoda B. Beeson has settled in Indian Territory and is the mother of six children, Florence, Francis, Rufus, Arnold, Frank and Katie. Three children remain with their parents at home, Owen D., Thomas M. and Hettie.

      Mr. Cook is a man of sterling qualities and highly esteemed in the county in which he lives. He is well informed and strong in his political convictions, and, although formerly a Democrat, he now affiliates with the Populists. 

Letter/label or barENRY C. LANGHORST, a pioneer settler of Fillmore county, Nebraska, and a representative citizen of his state and county, from the early days, was a German by birth. He was born March 30, 1845, in Furstentown, Scharmer of Libba, Germany. His present home is on section 1, of Franklin township, near Ohiowa, Fillmore county, Nebraska.

      Mr. Langhorst's parents were Christopher and Mary (Wilkoenig) Langhorst, both of Germany and died in their native country. They were the parents of four children: Hans, Cindleman, Marie and Henry C.

      Mr. Langhorst received his education in the public schools in Germany. He engaged in farming for a time in his native land. August 3, 1861, he started to seek his fortune and the New World was his choice. He arrived in New York city, October 12, 1861. He started west, stopping in Chicago, where he was employed as a laborer and machinist. In February, 1870, he started for Nebraska and entered his homestead claim of one hundred and sixty acres, in Franklin township, Fillmore county, March 17, 1870. His first home on the Nebraska frontier was a sod-house, and a yoke of oxen served him in cultivating his land. He was employed most of three years in the railroad shops in Nebraska City, and thus provided for his family, who remained on the farm, during the perfecting of the homestead claim. He now owns three hundred and twenty acres in Franklin township and his home is nicely located on the half-section in the northeast corner of the township. His finely improved farm of the present day shows little evidence of the struggles of those early days and affords unusual comforts for a country home. It is attractive in every particular and Mr. Langhorst has given his personal attention to the arrangement of its groves, orchards, vineyards and all improvements. In the early days their trading post was at Beatrice, Nebraska, forty miles from his homestead, and Lincoln was the nearest railroad station. Mr. Langhorst has always been a strong advocate of Republican principles and has held several responsible public offices in the state and county. In 1895 he was elected to represent the thirty-seventh district of Nebraska in the twenty-fourth general assembly. His creditable public record won him the esteem of the entire community.

      Mr. Langhorst was married in Chicago to Miss Angel Marie Sassan, a native of Germany, and a daughter of Fred and Angel Marie Sassan. Mrs. Langhorst was educated in her native land and emigrated to America with her parents and located in Chicago. She was confirmed in the Lutheran church in Germany, as was also Mr. Langhorst. To them have been born seven children: Henry, Minnie, Caroline, John, William, Albert and Martha, all of whom are living in Fillmore county, Nebraska. Mrs. Langhorst died after a brief illness, July 12, 1884. Her remains rest in the Franklin county Lutheran cemetery. She is missed by all as a loving, devoted wife and mother, and a Christian lady.



      Mr. Langhorst is a highly esteemed citizen of his county and state and is contented with his home in the west. He came to the new world a poor boy, but his integrity and business capabilities have won him success, as a financier and a public-spirited citizen. 

Letter/label or barHOMAS STEWARD, the first white settler in Thayer county, Nebraska, and an ex-soldier, was born in Ireland in 1822. His present home is on section 1, in township 4, range 3, near Bruning, Nebraska.

      Our subject's father, Robert Steward, died in Ireland, aged ninety-nine years. Thomas emigrated to America in 1840 and landed at New York, and soon afterward located in Clarion county, Pennsylvania, and worked on a farm for twelve dollars per month. Mr. Brown was his employer, and he afterward became Mr. Steward's father-in-law. He continued in his employ for six years, and after his marriage, in 1852, moved to Iowa. He purchased eighty acres of land and engaged in farming, until, in 1861, he enlisted in Company A, Second Iowa Cavalry, under Captain Roberts. He immediately went to the front, and was engaged in many hotly contested battles, among them Nashville and Iuka, and in the latter made a bayonet charge. He was with Sherman on his famous march to the sea, and at the close of the war was in the grand review. He received his army pay and an honorable discharge, and was mustered out of the service at Davenport, Iowa. Soon after his return to his Iowa home, he sold his property and located in Nebraska. In 1871 he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres in Thayer county, and as they were the first white settlers in the county, they had many hardships to endure. They were many miles from a trading post, and Nebraska City was the nearest railroad station. Fairmont, Lincoln and Beatrice were but villages. Mr. Steward went to the Blue river and chopped and hewed logs for a 12X 12 house. This was their home for several years, but a frame dwelling now marks the spot where the white camp wagon stood, which sheltered the family for many months, until the small house could be built. Buffalo, elk and deer were frequenters of the locality, arid Indians made life anything but pleasant. The home of to-day has little trace of those early struggles, and Mr. and Mrs. Steward are now living in retirement in their comfortable home. Their resources on arriving in Thayer county consisted of two teams, three cows and some household furniture, and to-day they own two hundred and forty acres of highly improved land, well stocked and under cultivation.

      Mr. Steward was married to Miss Lizzie Brown in 1852. Mrs. Steward was born in Clarion county, Pennsylvania, in 1824, where her parents died, her father at the age of sixty-four and mother at the age of fifty-five. To Mr. and Mrs. Steward were born seven children, three of whom are living: Robert, unmarried, who has traveled extensively; William, married and residing in Thayer county, Nebraska; and Mrs. Elizabeth Sutton. Her husband died several years ago and his remains rest in Burrows cemetery, Thayer county. Mrs. Sutton owns a fine farm in Thayer county.

      Mr. Steward is a Republican and cast his first presidential ballot for Fremont. The family are devoted Christians and highly esteemed. 

Letter/label or bar. W. CHRISTIE, a rising attorney and J business man of Exeter, Nebraska, was born in Ontario, Canada, June 4, 1855. His parents, Robert and Mariah (Boyd) Christie, were natives of Scotland and emigrated to Canada in 1815, locating in




Ontario. His father was a merchant and also followed farming to some extent. He died in 1891 and the mother died in 1898. They were the parents of ten children. Our subject is the only one residing in Fillmore county.

      Mr. Christie received his education in the public schools of Ontario and engaged in farming there until 1882, when he came to the United States and located in Fillmore county, Nebraska, seven miles south of Exeter. He now has extensive farm lands in the county and engages in farming to some extent, although his law practice claims the greater part of his time. In 1883 Mr. Christie began reading law under Attorney John P. Maube, of Lincoln, Nebraska, and in 1895 was admitted to practice in both the supreme and federal courts. The same year he began his practice in Exeter and has prospered in his chosen profession. He is well known in his county and his name stands for equity and justice. For four years he was justice of the peace, having been elected to that office in 1892.

      Mr. Christie was married in 1880 to Miss Mary M. Kelly, of DeWitt, Iowa. Five children have blessed their home, namely: Laura, Louise, Robert, Thomas, and Marie. Mr. Christie is a gold Democrat. 

Letter/label or bar. F. PARDUE, a very proficient architect and building contractor of Geneva, Nebraska, who has planned and constructed some of the finest buildings in Fillmore county, was born in Lawrenceburgh, Indiana, January 13, 1847.

      Our subject is the son of Anthony and Rhoda (Greenham) Pardue. His father was a native of Cayuga county, New York. His mother emigrated to America when eleven years of age. She was the mother of thirteen children: Elizabeth; Myron died two years ago; Alice, living in Chicago; Mary; Albert died three years ago; Harriett; L. F., our subject; Wesley died in infancy; Hattie; Jennie; Carrie; Ida; Isabella died when one year of age. The family have exceptional musical talent. The father was a musician and Myron was cornet player in the war. Albert also served in the Civil war. The father died in Geneva, Nebraska:, in 1889, aged eighty-two years, and the mother died in Bureau county, Illinois, in 1869, aged fifty-eight years. Mr. Pardue's brothers and sisters have pleasant family surroundings and are comfortably located.

      Our subject was educated in the public schools of Indiana and in 1872, graduated from the Chicago Conservatory of Music. He followed music teaching until 1877, when he began the study of architecture. He soon put his profession to practical use and, after spending one winter in Iowa, went to Nebraska in 1879, to engage in contracting and building. He had but fifty cents when he located in Nebraska, in July, 1879, but within a year was able to purchase one hundred and sixty acres of land, paying for the same nine hundred dollars. He cultivated his land and also spent part of his time at his trade, and in 1881, he added eighty acres to his possession at a cost of four hundred and seventy-five dollars. On the land of his second purchase he erected his residence. In 1883 he added another one hundred and sixty acres, paying for the same one thousand five hundred dollars, and later purchased one hundred and sixty acres north of his present home. His interests have become varied since locating in Nebraska and he has prospered. In Geneva he has a large livery barn and owns eighty acres near Strang, Nebraska. He has spared no little time on his residence property in Geneva and has a model home in every particular.

      Public buildings as well as private resi-



dences have claimed Mr. Pardue's finest work. He has planned and supervised the construction of the court house in Geneva, the hotel and the Geneva high school. He is now giving his attention to the building of elevators and averages ten per year. He has constructed eight for one owner and during the past winter has built two.

     December 12, 1878, our subject was married to Miss Mattie Bradley. Mrs. Pardue was born in 1864, the daughter of John M. and F. E. (Thompson) Bradley. Her father died in 1890, aged seventy-two years, and his remains rest in the Geneva cemetery. He was a native of Vermont. Her mother, at the age of sixty-nine, has her home with Mr. and Mrs. Pardue. She was born in Montgomery county, New York, and was the mother of three children, all living: Fred F., Burt, and Mattie F., wife of our subject. Mr. and Mrs. Pardue have been blessed with three children, two of whom are living. Ralph, nineteen years of age, has the management of his father's livery business in Geneva. He is an industrious young man of exceptional ability and is destined to become one of Nebraska's influential men. Fay, aged seventeen, is a highly accomplished young lady. Both she and her brother Ralph are graduates of the Geneva high school. The family have a host of friends in Fillmore county and their cultured manners and upright dealings have won them the respect of all. Mr. Pardue is a Republican and stands stanchly (sic) for the principles of his party.


Letter/label or bar

Horz. bar

Prior page
TOC part 2

© 2002 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller