NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library




Mrs. Struckmeier was Katie Albert, and she is the sister of Eberhart Albert, a well-to-do farmer of Clatonia Township, a sketch of whom will be found elsewhere in this volume.

To our subject and his wife there have been born eight children, seven living, namely: Ella, Minnie, Henry, Otto, Anne, Lydia and a babe unnamed. Mr. Strucknieier many years ago identified himself with the Republican party. which he still supports, and he is a member in good standing of the German Methodist Church. As an agriculturist he has been thorough and skillful, and as a member of the community. is numbered among its most valued men. he takes a genuine interest in everything pertaining to the progress of his adopted country, appreciating her free institutions and being proud to be numbered among her worthy and valued representatives. None are more worthy of a place in a work of this kind than the German pioneers who have contributed so largely to the development and prosperity of the Great West.

Letter/label or doddle

Letter/label or doddleAMUEL WYMORE. The gentleman whose life is herein sketched is the founder of the city bearing his name, and has done more for its advancement than any other one individual, and in recognition of his service in that regard, unsought for by him, the city received its name in his honor. He is the owner of a large farm adjacent to the city, which is operated upon the line of general farming and stock-raising. The residence of our subject overlooks the city, and is a very fine modern building erected as recently as 1883, one in every way worthy the founder of so beautiful and prosperous a place. In addition to his farm and residence he is the owner of a large amount of improved property, over 100 city lots, and has a large interest in the Touzalin Hotel, the finest in the State outside of Lincoln and Omaha. He was one of the leading promoters of the city railroad, and was the first to drive a car over the newly laid track. He has owned and subdivided about 340 acres into town lots, all of which, with the exception of those above mentioned, have been sold and occupied.

 Our subject was born on the 20th of November, 1835, on Cole Creek Prairie, near the line between Park and Montgomery Counties, Ind. Not very long after his birth his parents removed down to Sugar Creek in the same State. There he lived until 1844, when his parents went to Mahaska County, Iowa, and lived there until the spring of 1855, then he went to Atchison County, Kan., and remained for about one year. By this time he had reached his majority and made his preparations to start in the world for himself. With this in view, he went to Davis County, Mo., and there was married to Isabella L. Scott. upon the 6th of August, 1856, then returned home and worked with his father for another year.

Upon Sunday evening. April 24, 1858, our subject and wife drove to Johnson Creek near Pawnee, in Pawnee County, Neb., took up land, and pressed forward with the improvements as rapidly as possible. Their log cabin was built within a week, during which time they lived in their wagon. His wife was busy putting in the garden while our subject was erecting their dwelling. During the first year he worked out sufficiently to enable him to purchase his breaking-plow, with which he broke about twelve acres, and had everything ready by fall to allow them to return to Missouri and winter. In coming out to Johnson Creek he had driven an oxteam, a team of Texas steers and stag, also a drove of yearling heifers, a cow, and a pair of two-year-old steers, all hitched ahead of one wagon. These he took back with him to winter in Missouri.

Upon returning to his claim in the spring Mr. Wymore found trouble, for where his house had stood and his hay had been stacked, was nothing but black, charred, fire-consumed heaps. He then purchased a house of his uncle and put it up, and about one week after he began to occupy it this was also burned, and with it all the property of our subject contained therein. These losses made their circumstances very complicated, and but for their mutual companionship and encouragement would probably have overwhelmed them, but although hampered and straitened, our subject was not dis-







heartened; inspired and aided by his faithful wife he gave battle to adversity and became victor over all. Among the great trials of life is that of enforced loneliness, and her sisters will be enabled to sympathize with Mrs. Wymore in the loneliness of her life at this time, so far as the companionship of her own sex is concerned, for while upon the claim she did not see the face of a white woman for seven months. In 1861 our subject sold this farm and went down to Kansas to assist his father, his brothers having gone into the army. There he remained one year, then returned to the vicinity of his former property, and bought land upon the west branch of the Pawnee, improved this and lived upon it for a little over two years, and then sold it and removed to Missouri, but first came to this place, purchasing 270 acres of land now covered by the city of Blue Springs, with the exception of seventy acres that he half a mile east of Wymore. Upon returning to Missouri he purchased a farm and lived upon it for about two years, then came back to Wymore and became the owner of the southwest quarter of section 21, and lived upon the same for one year, then took up a homestead where Wymore now stands. This was in the year 1868. There were then but three houses this side of Bills Creek. Our subject lived upon this homestead for eight years, occupying himself with the usual farm work and necessary improvements; then he removed and went to his land in what was then Wymore Township. About that time he bought sufficient land to bring the total of his possessions up to 438 1/2 acres. This he kept until 1877, when he sold thirty-eight and a half acres that had cost him $3 per acre, and received in exchange 900 acres. The remaining 400 of his original property he now made his home, and improved until the year 1880. When the town of Wymore was platted our subject owned 160 acres, all of which was within the city limits, and was of course laid out with the rest.  In this is included about three quarters of a mile of Main street, running north and south, upon which stands the Touzalin Hotel, and both railroad depots. There was quite a large demand for town lots, and our subject, of course, increased his wealth by the demand.

Recognizing at once from the sale the importance of having property in the vicinity, our subject in company with Mr. William Ashby purchased another 180 acres, laid it out in town lots, and held them for sale. Together they erected quite a number of dwellings, and the sale of these largely influenced that of lots in their neighborhood. From the commencement of the city's growth our subject has been prominent in every movement for its advancement. Among the more promising of these might be known his efforts which were finally successful in procuring for the town the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad, and this company suggested the name of the town and station after our subject. The street railroad,, which was built in 1885, the erection and fitting of the Hotel Touzalin, were other matters in which he was very active. He also did much for the establishment of the Wymore Building Association, arid from the year 1884 to 1886 was President of the Blue Valley Bank, and at the time owned all the stock, but has since sold out. At present Mr. Wymore owns 500 acres and one half-section in Norton County, Kan., eighty acres in Greenwood County, of the same State, 160 acres in Hodgrnan County, and three-quarters of a section in what was formerly Hodgman County, likewise in Kansas; and 160 acres in Wichita County, a total of 1,800 acres.

To Mr. and Mrs. Wymore there have been born seven children, of whom three still live. These are Mary Scott, Matilda M. and Samuel, Jr. Those deceased were named Nancy Ann, Sallie, James H. and Somerfield. Mrs. Wymore was born in DeWitt County, Ill., Oct. 14, 1837. When about five years of age, her parents removed to Mahaska County, Iowa, but after a short residence returned to Illinois, where they remained about two years, and again went to Iowa, where they made their home until 1855, and then with her mother and brothers she removed to Davis County, Mo. It was while living there that she met our subject, and was finally united with him. Her courage, womanly tact, enthusiasm and affection have been largely instrumental in enabling our subject to make the brilliant success which he to-day enjoys, and kept him from giving up under the many trials and losses of his earlier history. She has lived to see her children occupying honorable positions in society.







Mary S. Wymore, the eldest daughter of our subject, has become the wife of William O. Nicholls, of Sherman County, Kan., and has become the mother of one child. Her brother and sister are still at home in Wymore.

Among the social fraternities of Wymore our subject is prominent only in one, the Masonic, and if his reputation and character attest anything. it is that he has not stood in the illumination of the lights beside its altar without having fully realized the mysteries inculcated, and having given them a place in his daily thought and practice. The monuments to his character, manhood and patriotism are all around him in Wymore, and will speak louder and more effectively than any mere complimentary notice. It is, perhaps, therefore preferable to leave them to voice these sentiments.

None of the portraits of the esteemed and well-known people presented in this volume will be received with greater favor than those of Mr. and Mrs. Wymore. which we give in connection with this sketch.

Letter/label or doddle

Letter/label or doddleEORGE W. ZUVER, whose farm is situated on section 15 of Hooker Township, is one of the representative citizens of the county in all that goes to make the American gentleman, and not excluding that feature which is peculiarly incidental to this country, that is, the fact that he is a self-made man, having commenced life for himself at the age of sixteen years, with nothing but his education as a fulcrum, and his ambitious, irrepressible energy and good physique as the lever.

Our subject is the son of Solomon and Julia Zuver. (See sketch of B. P. Zuver). His father was a merchant in Canaan, Ohio, and was one of the prominent business men of the place, but by reason of an over confidence in the people among whom he lived he became financially embarrassed, and moved to Iowa in 1856, settled at Mason City, and there kept the Farmers' Hotel, which was liberally patronized, and also after a time was the owner of a valuable farm. Their family numbered five children, whose names are recorded as Byron P., Sarah S., John H. (deceased), our subject, and Henry (deceased). The wife and mother was laid away to her rest in Ohio, her death occurring when she was thirty years of age.

Mr. Zuver made his entrance upon the stage of the terrestrial on the 7th of December, 1846, at Kernan, Ohio, and began his schooling at the age of nine years, when his father had removed to Iowa. At fifteen years of age he began to work upon the farm, and remained on it for about one year, and then made his way to Idaho City in the Territory of that name. He crossed the plains in company with his father and several young men from Iowa, starting by the overland route in May, 1864, reaching Idaho City on August 15. He continued one year in the gold mines of that State, making $4 per diem. In the summer of 1866, with pick, shovel and frying-pan, he started on a prospecting tour through the mountains, and opened up a place known as Diamond Gulch, and here found that which repaid him for his toil, labor and danger. He remained here one year, and then returned to Waterloo, Iowa, with a harvest of $2,000.

Upon returning to Waterloo our subject bought an interest in the Valley House Hotel, which was run under the firm name of Solomon Zuver & Son, then entered the Western College, Linn County, and attended there for a short time, but after his life in Idaho it became somewhat irksome, and in July of 1867 he once more started West, and stopped to prospect at Brownville in this State, in company with his brother Byron. The following August he came on to Gage County and filed a claim upon his present farm, and as soon as he attained his majority he homesteaded it, and has since by continued labor marvelously improved it.

In 1870 our subject was united in marriage with Miss Martha J. Hildman, June 5. This lady is the daughter of John and Eliza Jane Hildman, and was born on the 5th of January, 1850, in the State of Pennsylvania. Her parents moved to Iowa when she was about five years of age, and she has obtained a fair education. She has presented her husband with five children, who have been named as follows: James Byron, Julia E., Phronia R., Sarah and Clarence.

Mr. Hildman was born in New York State, and was a prosperous farmer there; he removed to Iowa







in 1856, and three years latter settled in Nebraska, and upon his homestead in Gage County in 1861. His wife was a native of Pennsylvania, and was born about the year 1819. She became the mother of fourteen children, Mrs. Zuver being the seventh. She died in June, 1882, aged fifty-four years. Mr. Hildman, who is still living, is seventy-four years of age.

In 1884 our subject removed to Garden Plains, Sedgwick Co., Kan., and speculated there and in Missouri for a time. In Garden Plains he engaged in the livery business, which was afterward traded for a farm, which was presently exchanged for horses, and these later for the Avondale Hotel, and not long after this was exchanged for a farm in Harrison County, Mo. Thence he returned to his present home, in addition to which he owns the farm in Missouri, property valued at $2,000 in Wichita, and other real estate. Although quite a young man he is well-to-do, and takes his place among the leading citizens.

The School Treasurer's office has been filled by our subject for one term, to the satisfaction of all concerned. He is deeply interested in the political economy of the nation and all the questions arising therefrom, and is usually found with the Republican party in the campaigns. He is a man possessed of large reserve force, business push and enterprise, and continuously lends his heartiest assistance to those projects that promise the progress of affairs moral and temporal.

Letter/label or doddle

Letter/label or doddleALENTINE MEYERS belongs to that class of German citizens who have proved most loyal and enterprising, and an honor to any community. As a boy he was full of life and vigor, and as a man he has won distinction by his well-applied energy and self-reliance. He is engaged in agricultural pursuits on section 22, Rockford Township, and is widely and favorably known as a successful business man. His parents, Valentine and Catharine Meyers, were natives of Germany, the father having been born in Hesse-Darmstadt, and the mother in Weinheim. They were married in their native country, and lived there until the death of the mother. In 1849 the father came to America with his second wife and family, the mother of our subject having died in 1847, after having a family of seven children, named: Pitta, Philip, Lenhardt, Annie, Lizzie, Andrew and Valentine.

Our subject, the youngest of his father's family, was born on the 14th of June, 1825, in Weinheim, Germany, where he attended school from the age of six to fourteen years. He learned the blacksmith's trade, and for a time engaged in work, but having long had a wish to come to America, he gratified it in 1842 by starting out on the long voyage when but seventeen years old. He bade farewell to his father, brothers and sisters, and sailed on the 15th of March, placing his foot on American soil on the 2d of May. His destination was Lyons, Ill., and after he arrived in that city he started to work at his trade, which he continued for one year, and then went to Canada, where he worked for four years.

In 1847 our subject returned to the States, and made his home in Wisconsin, where he was married to Miss Rosina Schwartz, who was also a native of Germany, and was born on the 25th of November, 1827. She was twenty-two years old when she came to America with her brothers and sisters. Our subject followed blacksmithing, and was very comfortably located in his home in Milwaukee when his parents came in 1849. The father made his home with him until the time of his death, which occurred in 1852, at the age of sixty-six years. In 1850 our subject removed eleven miles northwest of Milwaukee, where he purchased a farm and continued his former vocation in connection with his farm work. He remained there until 1871, when he came to Nebraska, stopping at Nebraska City for three or four weeks, after which he came to his present farm. He bought 120 acres, of which only twenty acres had been broken, and beginning at once to make improvements, he worked industriously, and now has the whole farm in a splendid state of cultivation. He has built convenient and substantial farm buildings, all of which are in fair order.

The family of our subject and his wife comprises twelve children, bearing the names--Philip, Eliza, John, Carrie, Charlie, Teressa, Lizzie, Annie, Susie,




Prior page
Next page
© 2004 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller