GAGE COUNTY 371
and are fully supplied with everything necessary for their efficiency. One of the chief products of the farm, beyond that of the grain growth, is the raising of hogs, and of these our subject ships seldom less than three or four carloads per annum. Mr. Meserve has preserved one exceptionally fine and well-situated piece of ground, upon which, in the near future, it is proposed to erect a handsome and commodious dwelling, which will then take the place of the present residence.
For ten years Mr. Meserve has been serving as Postmaster of the Meserveville post-office, the office being situated at his residence. He has at all times been exceedingly active in every enterprise for the advancement of the interests of the community, as is evidenced in the work he did in order to aid the organization of the township. He was one of the first Justices of the Peace appointed under that organization, and has been School Director for eight years; also a member of the Circuit and Petit Jury several times. At the Republican Convention of the county he was selected as a delegate to that body; he was a member of the State Convention at Des Moines, Iowa, and moved the nomination of Abraham Lincoln for the second term. By a family connection on the father's side he is a second cousin of ex-President Hayes.
The political sympathies of our subject have always been with the Republican party; he has always been one of its strongest supporters and stanchest friends. His first Presidential vote was cast for John C. Fremont, in 1856. A brilliant success has attended our subject. as a result of his manly effort, coupled with the encouragement lent him by Mrs. Meserve. Often, especially at the time of their financial trial, has the faithful and affectionate partner of his life infused new hope and brightness into the counsels and plans of her husband, by which he has taken fresh heart, and once more braced himself for the struggle that has resulted so favorably.
In the Christian Church Mr. and Mrs. Meserve are among the most energetic, consistent and devout members. A new church of this communion is to be built upon the northeast corner of section 20, the site being the gift of our subject, who is an Elder of the church, and has served in that office, and also as Sunday-school Superintendent in Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska. The portrait of this esteemed gentleman appears on an accompanying page.
ACOB W. MUMFORD. Upon section 8 of Logan Township is found the stock farm of the gentleman whose life is here briefly sketched, who, in addition to the responsibilities devolving upon him in connection therewith, is the popular, much respected and most efficient Postmaster of Freeman. The father of our subject, John Mumford, was born in Worcester County, Md., in 1785, and afterward followed the occupation of farming. In 1840 he migrated to Adams County, Ohio, but was taken sick upon the way with measles, while in Westmoreland County. Pa., and died. His wife, who accompanied him, remained in Ohio for some time after his death. In 1853, accompanied by two sons, she removed to Argyle, Wis., and died at Willow Springs in time same State, in 1863. Her maiden name was Mary Perkins, and she was born in Worcester County, Md., July 4, 1794. Besides our subject, there were four children born to his parents, one of whom died about 1873. The names of the surviving children are as appended: George W., John B., our subject and Mary.
Our subject was born on the Maryland farm, on the 20th of October, 1834, and made his home with his mother until he was twenty years of age. He had received a good practical education in the usual institution, where he had shown an aptitude for study, and had developed a mental power and ability for work that was prophetic of his future. Upon the removal to Argyle, above mentioned, he farmed for one year, and then went onto a farm at Willow Springs, which is situated near Darlington, where he continued until 1865, although part of the time from the year 1862 had been spent in military service.
The date of the admission into the 23d Wisconsin Infantry of the gentleman whose history is here presented, dates from the 29th of August, 1862, and he was a member of Company B. He was mustered in at Madison, Wis., leaving his brother, John B., in charge of time farm. After seeing much hard
372 GAGE COUNTY
service and enduring cheerfully the many privations and hardships of campaign life for three months, he was taken sick from the exposure and strain, but after lying ill for some weeks in the third ward of the hospital at Louisville, Ky., he returned to duty, and served until the 6th of January, 1864, when he received an honorable discharge, owing to physical disability. In this period he had been one of the active campaigners, and had been an active combatant in quite a large number of the more memorable battles, besides an innumerable number of lesser but no less dangerous fights.
In 1865 our subject came to Logan Township, of this county, and took land on section 8, and also pre-empted a second claim. His prosperity has been marked; since that time he has purchased 400 acres of land in the same township, has erected a very pretty and commodious residence, has set out a very large orchard of choice trees, and many other improvements, in addition to the cultivation of his farm, which is all well fenced and hedged, and is constantly watered by a live stream, Bear Creek, which runs through his property. His farm is further improved and beautified by some exceptionally fine natural groves of forest trees, that are invaluable to him in addition to the elegance of their appearance.
In Fayette County, Wis., our subject was married, on the 3d of July, 1870, to Sarah M. Lindsey, a school mistress, who had taught school about fifteen terms. This lady was born in Pennsylvania, on the 20th of June, 1840. Her parents, Thomas and Mary (McFatridge) Lindsey, also natives of the Keystone State, were spared to reach an advanced age. Her father died some years ago; her mother, who is still living in Wisconsin, is seventy-five years of age. Mrs. Mumford died upon the 1st of February, 1874, leaving two children, to whom had been given the names Emma and Burton.
A second marriage was entered into by our subject on the 22d of December, 1876, when he became the husband of Annie R. Newton, who was born in Chester County, Pa., upon the 12th of June, 1850. Previous to her marriage she had taught school for two years. Her father, John Newton, was a native of Manchester, England, where he was born in 1826. He was by trade a hatter, but upon coming to this country and settling in Fayette County, Wis., he followed the pursuit of husbandry, and still resides upon his farm, although for some years he has lived a retired life. Her mother, Rebecca (Wilde) Newton, was born in the city of Manchester, in 1823, and died on the farm in Fayette County, in 1886. Besides her daughter Annie, the wife of our subject, she was the mother of two sons, named respectively Isaac and John. The family of our subject has by this second marriage been increased by the birth of four children, who still reside with their parents, and have received the names here appended: George S., John N., Stella and Oliver C.
In addition to his position as Postmaster, to which he was appointed some three years since, Mr. Mumford has filled the office of Assessor for three years, and School Director for twelve years; in each and every instance his attention to the business of his office, and manner of discharging the same, have won for him the hearty esteem of his fellow-citizens. Socially, he is connected with the order of the Grange, and has been Master of his Assembly. It will have already been surmised, and that correctly, that our subject's political sympathies are Democratic. Of this party he has for many years been a member, and by every effort in his power has done all that was possible for the advancement of the same, and will not be found wanting in the on-coming campaign or any future one, so long as he is spared in health and strength to participate. He recognizes fully the privilege of his citizenship, and will utilize the same to the fullest extent.
AMES I. SHAW comes of a family of military heroes, his ancestors having distinguished themselves in the French and Indian War, the Revolutionary War, and the Wyoming Massacre, and thus he inherited a military zeal and fervor by which he served his country in the capacity of a loyal soldier for a period of five years less one day. His parents, Stephen P. and Hannah (Hicks) Shaw, were natives of New York, the former having been born near the celebrated springs in Saratoga County, and the latter in
GAGE COUNTY 373
Dutchess County. The Hicks family of the present trace their ancestry to the Hicks family which came over to America on the second trip of the " Mayflower," landing at Plymouth in 1622. The great-grandfather of our subject was a soldier in the English army, and was among the men who sustained the loss known as Braddock's defeat in 1755. Being discharged he settled in the Wyoming Valley, Pa., and afterward served in the war of the Revolution, also in the Wyoming Valley massacre, in which he had two sons killed. The grandfather of our subject, Benjamin Shaw, also lived in the Wyoming Valley, and after the massacre he moved to Saratoga County, N. Y. The parents of our subject were married in Dutchess County, and in 1850 they moved to Wisconsin, making their home in Kenosha.
In 1857 the parents of our subject, in company with their sons and sons-in-law, came to Nebraska bringing their families with them. The father had two wagons and four teams of oxen. John had one team, William one team and wagon, and James and William Silvernail, the sons-in-law, had each a team and wagon. Thus with all their worldly effects, and happy at the thought that they were soon to be located in their new homes, they made their way through Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa to Nebraska, with their procession of six wagons. Once in Nebraska the question of location was to be decided, and the father bought 180 acres on sections 20 and 21 in Adams Township, Gage County, arriving at his new home on the 6th of July, 1857. He died in 1863, almost sixty-three years old, but the mother survived until 1886, and had reached the age of eighty-five years, longevity being a characteristic of her family. This household comprised a family of ten children, who were named William, Egbert, Margaret, Emaline, John, Almyra, Hannah, Rebecca, James I. and Stephen.
Our subject was born on the 30th of November, 1838, in LaGrange Township, Dutchess Co., N. Y., and was ten years old when his parents moved to Litchfield County, Conn. He resided there until he was thirteen years old, at which age he went to Wisconsin, thence to Nebraska when he was eighteen years old, and having attended the schools in New York, Connecticut and Wisconsin, he has had abundant opportunity to compare the educational systems of the different States. He ranks the schools of Wisconsin as best, those of Connecticut second, and of New York third in point of excellence. When he came to this State he drove a team for his father all the way, crossing the Mississippi River at Rock Island, and pursuing their course westward they passed through Iowa City, Des Moines, and crossed the Missouri River at Nebraska City. After locating in Nebraska he remained at home until 1860, when he went to Colorado, prospected there one summer, and returned to his home in the fall of the same year.
In 1861 the call was made for men to hasten to the defense of the country, and in response our subject enlisted in Company H, 1st Nebraska Regiment, under Gov. Thayer, who went out as Colonel of the regiment. They drilled at Omaha, departed for the field of battle, going south down the Missouri, and entered the Army of the Tennessee in 1862. In 1863-64 our subject was in the Department of the Missouri, and in 1865-66 he was in the Department of the Platte. His first engagement was at Ft. Donelson, and the next at Shiloh, where he was promoted to the rank of Orderly Sergeant, having been promoted Sergeant at Omaha. By order of the War Department his regiment was mounted and changed from infantry to cavalry, then transferred to the Division of the Missouri. He participated in the engagements at Cape Girardeau, Jackson Point, Clarendon, Ark., and Grand Prairie, besides assisting in a great deal of skirmishing. In the summer of 1864, his first term of three years having expired, he re-enlisted and came home on a veteran furlough. While he was at home the Indian troubles began, and his regiment was sent to the plain of the Platte to look after the mail service and protect it from the depredations of the Indians, with whom they had numerous skirmishes. The winter of 1864-65 will long he remembered by our subject and the other boys of the regiment as one in which they suffered extreme exposures, not being provided with winter quarters, and away off on the plains, cut off from communication with the rest of the country. Having re-enlisted for three years or during the war, our subject remained in the service until he was discharged at Omaha, having
374 GAGE COUNTY
served five years less one day. and received an honorable discharge with the rank of First Sergeant.
In 1867 our subject was married to Mrs. Virginia Stewart, daughter of John and Ann Amelia (Gray) Douglass, both of whom were natives of Scotland. The parents were married in Canada, then returned to Scotland, where they remained for four years, after which they returned to America. Mrs. Shaw was born on the Atlantic Ocean on the 10th of February. 1838, and spent her girlhood years in Canada, on the banks of the Chautauqua River, in the Province of Quebec, forty miles from Montreal and three and a half miles from the State of New York. She attended a graded school conducted on the rate system in Canada, and received a thorough education in the elementary branches of learning. Her parents had a family of eleven children, five boys and six girls, she being the third born. The father died in 1849, at the age of fifty years, and the mother in 1857, at the age of forty years, she and her children making their homes with her father after the death of her husband until the time of her death. Mrs. Shaw was married at the age of fourteen years to Edward Stewart, a young man of nineteen years, and they went to Quebec, where, through the influence of a wealthy uncle, Mr. Stewart obtained a situation as steward on a sailing-vessel. They then knew no home but on the watery deep for a period of three years, after which they went to Kenosha, Wis., thence removed to Chicago, in which place the husband died, leaving four children to the care of the young mother, none of whom, however, are now living. From Chicago Mrs. Shaw came to Omaha in 1867, where she met our subject, and by their marriage they are the parents of one child, named Egbert John.
Mr. Shaw owns 360 acres of land on section 30, Adams Township, which is devoted to the purposes of general farming, he is a Republican in politics, and is a man of broad views, generous and considerate, combining with his intellectual force a great deal of executive ability. The citizens of Adams Township have chosen him for Assessor and Justice of the Peace, which offices he has held with satisfaction and credit, and he has also served as Treasurer of the School Board for five or six years. He is one of the prominent members of the G. A. R. Post, of Adams, of which order he was chosen the first Commander, and as it fell to his lot to name the post, he bestowed upon it the name of his comrade, Sergt. James E. Cox, who was the first man from the Nebraska regiment killed in the battle of Shiloh. Under his command the post prospered well, and has become an organization of twenty-five members, our subject having been Adjutant of the post for the past three or four years. Two of his brothers, William and Eghert, enlisted in the 1st Regiment with him at the breaking out of the war, the former meeting his death at St. Louis by the running away of a team, and the latter serving out his time of three years.
Mr. and Mrs. Shaw are very courteous and hospitable, kind and considerate of the comfort and happiness of others, and are situated in such a manner as to enable them to spend their remaining days in ease and comfort. They are living happily without making a great show or pretension, and are always ready to welcome the coming guest. Our subject took up his homestead of 160 acres in 1869, which was among the last issued in the township as well as in the county. As a man descended from brave and illustrious ancestors, as a distinguished warrior and a most loyal citizen, as a man of executive ability and principles of the strictest integrity and philanthropy, he is entitled to the esteem and admiration accorded him by his fellowmen.
OEL SCHOCK. One of the best improved farms in Sicily Township, one of the most beautiful for situation, is that which is the property of the Assessor of the township, whose biography is herein epitomized. This gentleman is the son of George and Lucy Ann (Ware) Schock, who are natives of Pennsylvania, he of Union County, and his wife of Lehigh County. At the age of sixteen years the father of our subject accompanied his parents in their migratory journey to Ohio, and Miss Ware, at the age of thirteen, removed to the same State under similar circumstances, and in Seneca County, that State, the acquaintance and friendship which had grown up between them were transformed into the golden
GAGE COUNTY 375
bonds of wedlock. This interesting event took place in Seneca County, Ohio, in September, 1845, and they settled and continued to reside in Ohio until 1871, when they removed to St. Joseph County, Mich., which is still their home. Their family circle included nine children, all of whom are living, and with the exception of the youngest all are married and have homes of their own. Their names are recorded as follows: Benjamin F., John D., Joel, Polly, Eli, Sarah A., Hettie A., Lydia A. and Emma A. Mr. and Mrs. Schock are both members of the Reformed Church, at Three Rivers, Mich.
Our subject was born in Seneca County, Ohio, Oct. 29, 1851. His early school days were spent in the usual institution, but were afterward supplemented by the High School course at Three Rivers, and he then taught for several winters, five terms in Michigan, two in Nebraska, and one summer term in Ohio. During the summer, however, it was his custom to employ his time in farming.
Some thirteen years since, Mr. Schock purchased his present farm, but it was not until February, 1882, that he left his Michigan home and settled thereon. The property includes 160 acres, and is composed of a very fine soil for agricultural purposes, and well situated. To these natural advantages our subject has added a number of improvements in the shape of the general cultivation and various farm buildings. Whether barn, ice house, implement and machine house, milk house, granary or stabling be examined, the verdict would be "most excellent," which would apply to their construction, convenience and condition. The residence of our subject is most pleasantly situated, and is the embodiment of comfort, and to the weary worker at the close of the day is something to be appreciated indeed.
On the 4th of November, 1877, our subject was married to Miss C. Libbie Ulsh, of Michigan. The wedding service was held at the residence of the groom's father, and was attended by a number of relatives and friends. Mrs. Schock was born on the 25th of June, 1861, in Snyder County, Pa. When she was about three years of age, her parents, Joseph and Christina (Mover) Ulsh, removed to Sandusky County, Ohio. In the year 1869 another change was made, and they took up their residence in St. Joseph County, Mich. They became the parents of six children, of whom all are living, Mrs. Schock being the fifth child. In this latter place Mr. Ulsh died, Aug. 12, 1879, at the age of sixty years. After this his widow made her home with our subject and wife, whose family includes three children, who are named as follows: James E., born July 20, 1879; Mary E., Sept. 21, 1881; and Benjamin F., Feb. 6, 1884.
Our subject has made an enviable reputation in regard to the superior merits of his stock, and is very particular in reference to the variety and grade of the same. His specialty lies in thoroughbred Poland-China hogs and Short-horn cattle. In his political relations our subject affiliates with the Republican party, and is thoroughly loyal to his citizenship, and by his enthusiasm and thoroughness in the fulfillment of the duties of his office has won the highest regard of all concerned. With his wife, he is an earnest and devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and ever active in the advancement of that cause, and they are accorded that appreciation and regard which are justly due.
ACOB B. SWILER is a native of Cumberland County, Pa., where he was born on the 11th of April, 1831, and where he was reared to manhood. In 1850 he moved to Ohio, in which State he remained for two years, returning at the end of that time to his native State to claim for his wife Miss Rachel Boak, to whom he was married on the 12th of June, 1853. She is a daughter of Lewis and Rachel Boak, the former of whom was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. They were members of the United Brethren Church, and both died in Pennsylvania, the father at the age of fifty-four, and the mother when she was seventy-five years old. Mrs. Swiler was born in York County, Pa., on the 29th of June, 1833, and after her marriage with our subject they removed to Illinois, making their home in Warren County in 1857, where they remained until 1880. They then came to Nebraska, and located on the farm which is their present home, on section 9, Sicily Township. Nine children have been born in their family, of whom
376 GAGE COUNTY
five are living, and bear the names of Austin H.. Carton P., Minnie W., Mamie E. and John.
Our subject spent his early years on his father's farm, engaged in the various duties of an agricultural life until he was seventeen years old, at which time he began to learn the wool manufacturing business. This he followed for about two years, but was compelled to abandon it at the end of that time on account of his ill-health, and he afterward moved to Ohio, where he learned the plastering trade. He engaged in the latter occupation for about thirty years, and by that time his sons were almost grown, and he began in company with them to engage in agricultural pursuits in Illinois. They farmed for four years, and then came to Nebraska, where they have since made their home. Mr. and Mrs. Swiler are esteemed members of the Church of God, which religious denomination has an organization in this township. The former was initiated into the order of the I. O. O. F., Lodge No. 160, in Monmouth, Ill., about 1873, and was a charter member of the Encampment. At the time of the late war be applied to the Government as a volunteer, but his proffered service was rejected on account of his ill-health. He warmly advocates the policy of the Republican party, and favors the sentiment of prohibition.
When our subject came to his farm there had been very little improvement made on it, but by the exercise of constant diligence and much hard labor, he has brought it to a fine state of cultivation, and has erected a good house, barn, and all necessary out-buildings for the convenience of farm life. He has also made good fences, and has set out a fine orchard containing apple, cherry, and all kinds of small fruit trees, including 200 bearing apple trees, which have produced such fine varieties and such a delicious quality of fruit that it has taken several premiums at the county fairs when placed on exhibition. In various ways has he improved the appearance and utility of his farm, and has increased its value many-fold since it came into his possession, but he has attained these splendid results only by the greatest industry and most careful management.
Our subject is a son of Jacob and Agnes (Baker) Swiler, who were natives of Pennsylvania, the former of German, and the latter of Scotch parentage. The father died in the year 1853, at the age of seventy-two years, but the mother is still living with her daughter in Perry County, Pa., and has now reached the advanced age of ninety years, still being quite active and in good health. Since his residence in this county our subject has been prominently identified with its public affairs, having been a member of the School Board since time organization of the district, and is now filling the office of Justice of the Peace. He took a very active part in forming his school district, of which he has been Treasurer since its organization. and he has been no less active in the promotion of religious affairs, having been an Elder in the church and superintendent of the Sunday-school since their organization in 1883. He and his wife have freed their farm from all incumbrances, and are now situated in such a manner as to enable them to spend their remaining days in ease and comfort, enjoying the fruits of their early industry. They are highly respected citizens, and have endeared themselves to a large circle of friends and acquaintances.
URRAY B. VOORHEES. This gentleman, whose stock farm is situated on section 25 of Sherman Township, is the eldest son of Henry V. Voorhees, a native of Somerset County, N. Y., whence he removed as a young man to Peoria. Ill., and afterward to Jersey County, in the same State. During the earlier part of his life he was a farmer, but afterward engaged in the business of hardware and groceries, in Jerseyville, Ill., continuing in the same for about five years, and then returned to farming. In political matters he was a Democrat, but this did not prevent him being elected to most of the important offices of the township, including both that of Supervisor and Treasurer. In the year 1861 he became the husband of Matilda Bacon, a native of New York State. Her grandparents were English, but her parents were of American birth. They became the parents of six children, five of whom are
© 2004 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller