GAGE COUNTY 397
braska, coming here during the days of its early settlement, he has been the privileged witness of the many changes which have passed over the face of the country, and in its growth and prosperity has borne no unimportant part.
Mr. Bartlett, soon after striking the soil of Gage County, concluded there were few better places to locate, and secured a tract of land which had been homesteaded by another party, who had retired in disgust from the undertaking of becoming a permanent resident of the then Territory of Nebraska. This tract embraced 160 acres on section 33 of Blakely Township, and was in its primitive condition. Our subject began the cultivation of the soil in a modest way, in keeping with his means and facilities, and, by a course of study and economy, in the course of time began to realize the result of his labors. What had seemed a barren waste began to respond to the hand of the husbandman, and in due season Mr. Bartlett found himself on the road to prosperity, with capital for making the necessary improvements. Gradually there arose the farm buildings which the traveler observes with interest to-day, together with the machinery for the prosecution of agriculture after modern methods. A goodly assortment of live stock began to grow up, together with fruit and shade trees planted by the hand of the proprietor, so that now the well-appointed country estate not only appears, as a credit to its owner, but is a credit likewise to the township and county.
When we consider that Mr. Bartlett built up his little fortune from the foundation, coming here poor in purse and without other resources than his own indomitable will and persevering industry, it will be granted that he has accomplished much where many a man would have failed. A native of Wiltshire, England, he is of that stanch, substantial ancestry which has ever been noted for its reliable qualities of citizenship. He was born Feb. 7, 1848, and is the son of Henry Bartlett, who was a weaver by trade, and worked in the woolen-mills of his native town several years before coming to this country. He made two visits to the United States before settling permanently, and is now settled on a good farm near the town of Pickrell, this county, living with his fourth wife, a German lady.
The mother of our subject was in her girlhood Miss Elizabeth Whatley, and departed this life in, her native England, when her son, our subject, was less than a year old. The latter lived with his father and step-mother until after reaching his majority, coming with them to the United States and assisting them in the maintenance of the family. They landed in Beatrice, this county, on. the 6th of December, 1869, and soon afterward located on a farm in Blakely Township among its earliest pioneers. When ready to establish domestic ties of his own Mr. Edward Bartlett was united in marriage with Miss Martha, daughter. of Isaac and Isabella Lamb, the wedding taking place at the home of the bride in Blakely Township, July 1, 1873. Mrs. Bartlett was born in Marion County, Iowa, Dec. 6, 1855, and was a young girl when her parents came to Nebraska. The latter were natives of Ohio, and are now residents of Blakely Township. Mrs. B. received a common-school education and remained under the home roof until her marriage. Of her union with our subject there have been born eight children, one of whom, Elizabeth, died when nine months old. Those living are Charlotte, Henry, Emma, Arthur, Anna, William and Isabella. They form a promising family group, and will be given the advantages suited to their station in life. Mr. Bartlett takes a lively interest in educational matters and is the friend of progress generally. Politically, he gives his support to the Democratic party.
HOMAS P. TEAGARDEN is a prosperous, young farmer residing on section 36, Elm Township. His father, George W. Teagarden, was born in Virginia in 1826, and his mother, Maria (Pees) Teagarden, was born in Ohio in 181. The father was a blacksmith by trade, and was engaged in business in Washington, Pa., in which place he married. In 1862 he enlisted in the 2d Corps, Company D, 140th Pennsylvania Infantry, and in the time of his service he was engaged for thirteen months as the army blacksmith, serving the remainder of the time in the ranks as a loyal soldier.
During one of the engagements the father of our
398 GAGE COUNTY
subject was shot in the forehead, but the bullet glanced to one side and the wound did not prove fatal, though he was incapacitated for service for a few months and suffered extreme pain. He was mustered out in April, 1865, and upon his release from the service of the country he went to Prosperity, Pa., where he remained for two years, and then removed to Marshall County, Ill. Thence he went to Livingston County, and again changed his residence, to Bureau County, in which place both father and mother are now living. He is engaged in the vocation of his earlier days, and is also selling machinery. There were nine children in their family, our subject being the second.
Mr. Teagarden was born in Washington, Pa., on the 30th of April, 1854, and he remained at home until he reached the age of twenty-three years. He received a good common-school education, and after his school days were over he farmed for a period of two years in Livingston County, Ill., and again for two years in Bureau County. He then moved to Johnson County, this State, where he remained for one year, and in 1884 he came to this county and bought eighty acres of land in Elm Township, on which he makes his home. He has made all the improvements except the building of the house, and his farm presents a very attractive appearance.
On the 24th of December, 1878, while he was living in Illinois, our subject was married to Miss Clara Carse, who was born in Bureau County, on the 12th of February, 1854. She is a daughter of Andrew and Cornelia (Anthony) Carse, both of whom were born in Ohio, and at present reside in Livingston County, Ill. They had a family of nine children, of whom the wife of our subject is the third child. She received a thorough education, and took a course of instruction in the State Normal, at Normal, Ill., and was thus well fitted to engage in the profession of teaching. In that capacity she was occupied for eight years previous to her marriage, and her intelligence and ladylike manners insured her eminent success in the noblest of vocations. She is as admirable a wife and mother as she was exemplary as a schoolmistress.
To our subject and his wife there have been given four children--Frank S., George Roy, Maude, and a babe unnamed. Both Mr. and Mrs. Teagarden are much interested in educational matters, the former having held the office of School Director for three years, and in every way they lend their support to the measures by which the highest enlightenment of the community can be secured. Our subject is a strong Prohibitionist, and is prominent among active and public-spirited men.
MBROSE STRAWDER carries on an extensive and prosperous business as farmer and stock-raiser on section 28, Hooker Township, and is widely known as a man of great business ability and unimpeachable character. He is a son of Isaac and Lucinda (Wimer) Strawder, who were both natives of Virginia, and lived in their native State for a time after their marriage. Grandfather Wimer participated as a brave soldier in the War of 1812, and lived to the extreme old age of one hundred and two years, while Grandfather Strawder attained the age of ninety-six years. The father of our subject was engaged in farming in Virginia until 1865, when he moved to Kansas, but he did not long survive in his new home, departing this life soon after his removal to that State, at the age of fifty-two years. The mother is sixty-four years old, and still lives at her home near Lincoln, having cared for a family of six children, namely: Ambrose, William T., Isaac N., Philip A., Solomon G. and Sarah C.
Our subject was born on the 30th of October, 1852, near Franklin, Va., and spent his early days on his father's plantation. The educational facilities were much limited, and the only schools which he attended were the "rate schools," in which he gained a thorough acquaintance with the elementary branches of learning. He remained at home until he was twenty-four years old, and then he came to Nebraska, stopping in Cass County, where he worked on a farm near Plattsmouth for two years and then rented a farm in Otoe County. In the following year of 1880, he was married to Miss Sarah B. Miles, a daughter of A. C. and Eliza (Lockwood) Miles.
Mrs. Strawder was born on the 20th of May,
© 2004 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller