446 GAGE COUNTY
every instance an active, sharply intelligent and effective worker, and has devoted himself heartily to the upbuilding of the city of his adoption.
All that has been accomplished in the life of Mr. Klein, its development and business success, has been practically the result of his own unaided effort, his ambition and business tact, the enterprise and the irrepressible activity, and he is now simply reaping the harvest these have sown in other days. His political opinions are with the Democratic party, and the influence he wields is always in its favor.
Among the representative citizens of whom portraits are presented in this volume, the well-known features of Mr. Klein will be welcomed by a host of friends and the public in general.
EORGE M. STEECE. Among the citizens of Logan Township, there are few who surpass any attribute of worthy manhood and good citizenship the gentleman whose biography is herein sketched, who, although a representative farmer of the township, is also a member of the bar, and was at one time connected with the editorial staff of one of Iowa's well-known papers. The father of our subject. Archibald Steece, was born in Adams County, Ohio, in 1824. His chosen occupation in life was that of a stove molder. In 1877 he went to Benton County, Iowa, and is at present living with his son, our subject. The mother of our subject, whose maiden name was Ellen Sterne, was born in Rockingham County, Va., of which place also her father, William Sterne, though of German descent, was a native.
The grandfather of our subject was born in Maryland, and afterward removed to Lawrence County. There he founded and operated the Mt. Vernon Furnace, and made his fortune thereby. He died on the Missouri River in 1851, while visiting there with a view of prospecting for coal lands. His father, the great-grandfather of our subject, came from Holland, and was one of the very earliest settlers.
The only child born to Mr. and Mrs. Jonathan Steece was their son George, the subject of this sketch. He was ushered into life in St. Lawrence County, Ohio, on the 2d of July, 1852. He resided with his parents until he attained his majority; after passing successfully through all the classes of the common school he was graduated from the Ironton High School (Ohio), and was a classmate of the renowned Dr. C. F. Creighton, of Lincoln. In 1871 he entered the law department at the Ann Arbor University, Mich., and completed the course, being graduated with honors in 1873, but has never practiced his profession. In Iowa he taught school for several years, and was acknowledged one of the most successful teachers. For four years he was connected with the Benton County Herald, a widely circulating journal, and ably conducted. For three years or more our subject worked as its associate editor, and in this department his power was soon recognized. In 1881 he removed to Logan Township, and purchased the place which is still occupied by him, which comprises some 160 acres of well cultivated, amble land, which has been brought to a very high state of agricultural efficiency from its original condition of untamed prairie. It is abundantly furnished with all the improvements that one would expect to find upon any property owned by a gentleman of the ability, taste and education of our subject. Whether attention be directed to house, barn or farm buildings, to orchard, fields or groves, the result is the same, and from each inspection the verdict would be one of compliment and gratification. One feature of intrinsic value to the property is the Cedar Creek, which, passing through it, provides at all seasons an abundant supply of water.
In Benton County, Iowa, upon the 20th of January of the year 1879, our subject and Miss Eva Gamble were united in that closest of all earthly ties, and dearest of all earthly relationships. This lady was born in Wabash County, Ind., on the 3d of September, 1860. Her father, George Gamble, at present residing in Pipe Stone County, Minn., is a native of the same county. The maiden name of his wife, the mother of our subject, was Mary Squires, also born in Wabash County. She died March 12, 1878. Their family included four children--William. Irene, Homer and Eva. To
GAGE COUNTY 447
Mr. and Mrs. Steece have been given four children--Lottie, Jessie, Louis L. and Guy R.
Mr. Steece has always sustained an interest most intense in everything connected with education, and has filled the office of School Director for four years. Both he and Mrs.. Steece are devout members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and hold their membership at Summit. There are few families more popular or more highly esteemed than this, or more deservedly so. In his political opinions our subject is one with the Republican party. and his political principles are symphonious with theirs.
OHN LYONS, SR. Familiar among the earliest pioneers of this county is the name of the gentleman which heads this sketch, and who looked upon the face of the country in this section during its first settlement. Of substantial stock, the offspring of a sturdy race, his has been a life pregnant with many vicissitudes, and in which he has looked upon existence in all its phases. Not the least important among his experiences have been those among a pioneer people in the beginning of the development of the Great West, and in the labors which have resulted in the prosperity and wealth of this section of Nebraska, he has borne no unimportant part.
John Lyons was born Dec. 14, 1827, in Salisbury, Litchfield Co., Conn. His father, also John Lyons, was a native of England, and his mother, Charlotte (Bardsley) Lyons, was born in Brooklyn, N. Y. The ancestry of the father were among the earliest settlers of the now proud "City of Churches," and identified with its subsequent prosperity, which they helped to bring about. Their residence there dated from about 1810, and the Lyons family was widely and favorably known in that region for several generations.
The father of our subject left his native land early in life, and the parents were married in Brooklyn, N. Y., whence about 1818 they removed to Litchfield County. Conn. The father was a brickmason and plasterer, but died in 1833, at the early age of thirty-three years. The mother was married a second time, but of this latter union there were born no children. Of the first there were eight, namely: Amelia, David, Phebe, Mary and Julia, who died in infancy; Charlotte, John and Mary A. Of these but three are living, the two besides our subject being residents of Connecticut. The mother continued her residence in the latter State for some time, and later took up her abode with her daughter in Berkshire County, Mass., where she spent her last days, and where her death took place Feb. 11, 1884, after she had reached the advanced age of ninety years.
The subject of this history began in earnest the battle of life at time early age of seven years, at the death of his father being bound out to one Albert Selleck, of his native county, with whom he was to remain until reaching his majority. At the expiration of this time he was to receive a yoke of oxen, a suit of clothes and ten sheep. He labored with little rest and no advantages for education for a period of eleven years, in time meantime receiving harsh treatment from a merciless taskmaster. One of the examples of the cruelty of the latter was beating the boy with twelve apple sprouts until his back was a raw sore.
As he approached manhood young Lyons concluded to stand this mode of life no longer, and accordingly ran away. This procedure as considered a grievous offense. Mr. Selleck advertised him as a renegade who was neither to be harbored nor trusted. The boy. however, in spite of his "recommendations" found friends, and repaired to Dutchess County, N. Y., where he worked at farming until about 1846, and then went to Massachusetts. After becoming of age he returned to his native county, and the year following was united in marriage with one of its most estimable young ladies, Miss Almira Shaw, the wedding taking place at the home of the bride, Dec. 31, 1849. The young people began time journey of life together in Massachusetts, where Mr. Lyons engaged in farming. and lived there until 1852.
Mrs. Almira (Shaw) Lyons is the daughter of Stephen P. and Hannah (Hicks) Shaw, who descended from some of the finest families of the Empire State, and who were of solid old English stock. She was born in Dutchess County, N. Y., at the country home of her parents in LaGrange
448 GAGE COUNTY
Township, where she lived until a girl of twelve, reared among the quiet scenes of a Quaker settlement. Then she removed with her parents to Litchfield County, Conn., where she remained until her marriage.
The forefathers of Mrs. Lyons sailed from England in the ship "Fortune," which was the second to follow the "Mayflower." in 1621. Among them was Robert Hicks, of whom she is a lineal descendant, and who was a clothes dresser from London. The next ship, "Ann,'' brought his wife and children. They were reunited in the latter part of June, 1622. Hannah (Hicks) Shaw was of the seventh generation of the Hicks family in America. Nothing need here be said of the character and standing of the family in New England, for their history is familiar to everyone at all posted in regard to the early history of America. They were of the solid element of New England, who helped to lay the foundations of its future greatness, and who assisted to instill into its people the spirit of patriotism which eventually made them free.
Mrs. Lyons was but a maiden of seventeen at the time of her marriage, and on the 8th of November, 1850, became the mother of the only son of herself and her husband, whom they named John, and who is now one of the best known and most reputable citizens of this county, and is represented elsewhere in this work. 1n the spring of 1852 they determined to try their fortunes in one of the rising cities of the West. Accordingly disposing of his interests in Connecticut, Mr. Lyons and his excellent wife gathered together their personal effects, and bidding adieu to the friends and associations of their childhood and youth, proceeded by way of the lakes to Kenosha, Wis., and renting a farm in that State, followed agriculture for five years. Mr. Lyons then believing that he could do better in the newly opened Territory of Southern Nebraska, repeated the experiment of removal, taking up his residence among his friends in Adams Township on the 22d of November, 1857, and settling upon land comprising the farm now occupied by George Gale. Mr. and Mrs. Lyons lived squatter fashion in a log cabin for one year, and had in common with the people of that region their full share of hardship and privation. The Shaw family, who had preceded them, were the only settlers for miles around, while Indians roamed over the country, with eyes always open to thievery and mischief.
Mr. Lyons endured this sort of life until the spring of 1859. In May of that year he changed his location to the present site of Nebraska City. In May, 1865, the homestead Law having come into effect, he returned to the Nemaha Valley, and homesteaded 160 acres of land, forty on section 29. forty on section 28, and the balance on section 21. With a portion of this he afterward parted, and is now the owner of 120 acres. Upon this he has a confortable dwelling, and the outbuildings necessary to his convenience, besides the various other appliances gathered together from year to year, and which go toward the formation of the complete home, he has a fine apple orchard, the trees in good bearing condition, and an ample supply of the smaller fruits, currants, gooseberries, grapes and strawberries.
At one time Mi. Lyons was acquainted with nearly all the white people in the three counties of Clay, Gage and Lancaster. He was prominent in its public affairs, voted for the adoption of the State Constitution in 1860 and 1866, and officiated as Justice of the Peace for a term of three years. He cast his first Presidential vote for Zachary Taylor. and continued uniformly with the Republican party until the election of 1856, when he voted for James Buchanan. Since that time he has supported Republican principles, he united with the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1866, being one of its charter members in Laona. No man has entertained a deeper interest in the prosperity of Southern Nebraska, and none enjoy in a greater degree the respect of its people.
SAAC SEITZ, JR. The traveler in passing through the western part of Glenwood Township cannot fail to notice the fine and well-conducted farm embracing 248 acres of fertile land on section 19. This has been the property of the subject of this sketch since the fall of 1885, when he came to this locality from Lee County, Ill. He was born in Dayton, Ohio, Nov. 18, 1843, and was
GAGE COUNTY 449
taken by his parents when a child two years of age to Lee County, Ill., where he was reared to manhood and remained until coming to this county.
Mr. Seitz was reared as a farmer's boy, and to this occupation has given the labors of his manhood. Possessed with the proper conception of rural life, he has not only made of it a pleasure in the highest sense, but also a source of profit. His land has been brought to a productive condition, and thereon erected not only the buildings essential to the comfort and convenience of the cultured and intelligent household, but those necessary to the prosecution of agriculture after the most approved methods. The residence, neat and substantial, is flanked by fruit and shade trees, the fences are kept in good shape, and the sleek and well-fed live stock add to the interest of the premises. A well-appointed farm enhances the value of property around it, and thus its owner becomes a public benefactor. In this respect Mr. Seitz is one of the most useful members of his community.
Mr. Seitz commenced the struggle of life on his own account at an early age, and when twenty-six years old was married, Dec. 2, 1869, in Whiteside County, Ill., to Miss Susan Landis, who was born in Pennsylvania and reared in Illinois. They commenced the journey of life together near Dixon, in Lee County, Ill., and in due time became the parents of eight children, one of whom, an infant daughter, Ollie, died at the age of eight months. Those surviving are: Cora A., Ervin O., Isaac H., William A., Agnes M., Ora L. and Leslie J. They are all at home, being carefully trained to habits of industry and honesty, and given the education which will fit them for worthy members of an intelligent community.
The father of our subject, Isaac Seitz, Sr., was born in Lancaster County. Pa., and upon reaching manhood was married to Miss Elizabeth Flora, who was a native of Somerset County, that State. They soon afterward settled near Dayton, Ohio, but subsequently changed their residence to Lee County, Ill., where both parents spent the remainder of their lives. Their family consisted of six children, five sons and one daughter, of whom Isaac, Jr., was the youngest. The twin brother of our subject, Abraham, lives in Iowa, and his sister near Amboy, Ill.
The parents of Mrs. Seitz were Henry S. and Faulty (Stauffer) Landis, natives of Pennsylvania, where they were reared and married, and whence they removed to the vicinity of Sterling, Whiteside Co., Ill., where they still reside, and where the father is engaged in farming. Their family of thirteen children consisted of six girls and seven boys, of whom Mrs. Seitz was the fourth child. She was born March 17, 1850, and lived with her parents until assuming control of a home of her own as the wife of our subject. She has aided him in the establishment of one of the most desirable homes in the township. Mr. Seitz is numbered among the most enterprising men of the county, and avails himself of the progressive ideas of the day in regard to the prosecution of his calling in the most praiseworthy and profitable manner. In politics he is a Democrat.
IRAM HAUVER is a native of Canada, and was born on the 27th of November, 1822, in Stanbridge Township, situated about fifty-five miles from the city of Montreal. He is a son of John and Hannah (Solomon) Hauver, who were natives of Canada. Our subject grew to manhood in his native country, a loyal subject to his Queen, and there learned the trade of a millwright, which he followed for about seven years, at the end of which time he turned his attention to farming.
During his residence in Canada our subject made a visit to some of the States, spending one year in Hot Springs, Ark., and vicinity. In the year 1879 he bought a tract of land in this township of the Government, and in January of the year 1880 he came from his native country and settled in this county on section 5, Glenwood Township. He owns 160 acres of farming land, on which he is making improvements. It happened that during a severe windstorm in April, 1885, his house was blown down while the inmates were at home, but fortunately none of the family was killed, though our subject and his wife sustained some severe injuries from the falling timbers.
Mr. Hauver was married, Dec. 28, 1849, in Can-
450 GAGE COUNTY
ada, to Miss Elizabeth Douglas, who was born in Vermont on the 1st of March. 1823. She is a daughter of Robert and Jane (Hunter) Douglas. The father was a native of Scotland, and the mother of England. Our subject and his wife have reared a family of five children, who have grown to manhood and womanhood. Their names are: Jennie E., William H., Douglas H., Martha H. and L. Edith. Jennie is the wife of Weston W. Wyman, of Lowell, Mass.; William H. married Miss Matilda Lange, and resides in this township; he assists his father in farming the home place. Douglas married Miss Lucy Othet; Martha 5 the wife of Paul Rochelle, she and her brother Douglas also being residents of Glenwood Township; Edith is engaged in teaching school and resides with her parents. By their careful home training and a regard for the excellent principles instilled into their minds by their thoughtful parents, this family of children has been well equipped for useful and honorable positions in social and business life.
Our subject has acted in the capacity of Road Supervisor for two years, and has been Treasurer of the school funds for four years. He and his wife are prominent members of the Episcopal Church. He affiliates with the Democratic party and keeps himself well informed on all topics of the day.
ONATHAN S. GRABLE. The real-estate interests of Beatrice and vicinity find one of their most capable representatives in the subject of this sketch, who located in this county in October of 1877. A native of Licking County, Ohio, he was born near the town of Etna, March 10, 1850, and spent his early years amid the peaceful surroundings of country life.
Jonathan Grable, Sr., the father of our subject, was a native of Northern Virginia, but left the Old Dominion at an early period of his life to settle in the Buckeye State. He was there married to Miss Nancy Essex, who was the daughter of Isaac Essex, also a native of Virginia. Mrs. Nancy Grable was born in Licking County, Ohio, and by her union with the father of our subject became the mother of nine children, of whom Jonathan S., of this sketch, was next to the youngest born. Of these four are now living, The mother passed from earth at her home in Etna, Ohio, in 1871. The father died in 1865.
Young Grable acquired his early education in the district school, but when of suitable years and acquirements became a student at the Wesleyan College in Delaware, Ohio, where he remained under an excellent course of instruction for a period of two years. Then, his father having died, he returned to the farm, where he remained until the death of his mother, which occurred when he was about twenty-one years of age. He was not long afterward married, Oct. 10, 1871, to Miss Laura Manger, the wedding taking place at Columbus. Ohio. Mrs. Grable was born in May, 1854, in Licking County, Ohio, and is the daughter of Frederick and Hester Manger, who were natives of Pennsylvania. Her father is deceased, and her mother is living in Beatrice.
After marriage Mr. and Mrs. Grable continued on the home farm until 1877, when Mr. Grable resolved to cast his lot among the people of Southern Nebraska. Coming to this county he located first on a farm in Logan Township, and which was situated about four miles east of the city of Beatrice. Here he effected considerable improvement, bringing to a fair state of cultivation 320 acres of fertile land, and continuing a practical agriculturist until 1880, when he changed his location and occupation, leaving the farm to engage in the harness business in the city, becoming the successor of Charles Everet, and carrying on this business three years. In 1884 he became interested in real-estate and abstract business, associating himself with J. L. Tait, with whom he operated until the fall of 1887, when the latter disposed of his interest in the business to Mr. S. K. Davis. A short time since Mr. Grable bought out Mr. Davis' interest. He occupies convenient offices and has all the facilities for the settlement of property matters, including a full set of abstract books, thus being able to adjust in a prompt and correct manner the various questions continually arising in the transfer of lands and lots.
Mr. Grable deals largely in city property, of which he has secured some valuable ground and a good residence. His family includes six children,
GAGE COUNTY 451
four boys and two girls: Harley C., Carlton F., Bertie M., Blanche, Ernest S. and Laura T. Mr. Grable has held the office of City Treasurer in Beatrice, and is regarded as one of its most prompt and reliable business men. He is a Director and stockholder in the Beatrice Street Railway in both the northern and southern portions of the city, and is identified in a similar manner with the Masonic Temple Building and the Beatrice Paper Mill Company. He is also one of the organizers of the Beatrice Inter-State Chautauqua Association, and one of its five owners. He is public spirited and liberal, and to the enterprises calculated for the progress and welfare of the city gives uniform and generous support.
ILLIAM D. NICHOLLS, a worthy representative of the real-estate interests of the city of Beatrice and vicinity, is a native of the Dominion of Canada, having been born in the Province of Ontario, near the county seat of Peterborough, on the 15th of June, 1841. He was next to the youngest of the four children comprising the family of William C. and Ann (Davie) Nicholls, who were of English ancestry and natives of Bristol, England.
Walter B. Nicholls, the paternal grandfather of our subject and a native of London, England, was a chandler, and spent his last years in Peterborough, Canada. His son William C. followed farming, and is still living in Canada, having now arrived at the advanced age of eighty-one years. The mother died in 1859. William D., of our sketch, spent his early years upon the farm, and acquired his earliest lessons in the common school. He assisted his father in the development of a tract of land, and later, with his brother John B., cleared 200 acres from heavy timber in his native Province. He continued a resident of the Dominion until twenty-six years of age, then coming over into the states, proceeded westward across the Mississippi, and changing his occupation, became a traveling salesman for the firm of Van Brunt & Sons, dealers in farm implements. In the pursuance of this business he compassed a large portion of the State of Iowa, and withdrew from it on the 1st of January, 1875.
Mr. Nicholls, while a resident of Atlantic, Iowa, was united in marriage, Dec. 18, 1874, to Miss Ada L. Pellett, who was born in Susquehanna County, Pa., July 21, 1851. She made her home with her brothers, and was the first lady teacher in Atlantic, Iowa. Her parents, Jason and Delia Pellett took up their residence near Atlantic, Iowa, about 1888, where the father follows farming and both parents now reside. Mr. and Mrs. Nicholls in January, 1875, moved to Beatrice, and Mr. N. became general agent and traveling salesman in the interests of the McCormick Reaper Company, of Chicago. He was thus occupied three years, and until the 1st of January, 1878, when he established in business on his own account in the sale of farm implements, in which he built up a good trade, and continued until Jan. 1, 1884. Then selling out, he first treated himself to a visit to his old home in Canada, and upon his return to Beatrice became interested in real estate, to which he has since devoted his time and attention. He has been largely interested in farming lands, having transactions throughout Nebraska, Kansas. Colorado and Dakota. His office is over Begole & Van Arsdale's dry-goods store, No. 505 Court street. Mr. Nicholls owns a fine three-story brick, which occupies No. 211 Court street, and in the transaction of his business is supplied with the abstracts and all the other appliances necessary for the adjustment of titles and other questions constantly arising.
To our subject and his wife there have been born seven children, viz: Walter J., William A., Mary L., Clara M., Lee E., Marjorie E. and Mona. The eldest is thirteen years of age, and the youngest two. They occupy a snug home on the corner of Allies and Seventh streets, and a good position among the cultivated people of the city. Mr. Nicholls is a member of the Board of Trade, is prompt and reliable in his business transactions, and, beginning in life without means and other resources than his own industry and perseverance, is au admirable illustration of the self-made man. Besides his city property, which comprises seventy-
452 GAGE COUNTY
three town lots and the business house already spoken of, he has about $8,000 worth of business and residence property in the city. In politics Mr. Nicholls is a member of the third party, or Prohibitionist.
HOMAS MAYBORN. The subject of this sketch, one of the most highly respected citizens of Glenwood Township, an ex-soldier of the Union army, and a farmer in good circumstances, is pleasantly located on section 31, where he has a fine homestead and is surrounded with all the comforts of life. A native of Dover, England, he was born Nov. 19, 1843, and emigrated to America with his parents when but a child. They first settled in Oneida County, N. Y., but a year and a half later changed their location to Stark County, Ill., where Thomas acquired his early education in the common schools and developed into manhood.
Young Mayborn was still in Illinois upon the outbreak of the late war, and on the 25th of September, 1861, while on a visit to New York State, enlisted in Company A, 14th New York Infantry. In the battle of Malvern Hill, Va., he was wounded in the right thigh by a minie ball, on account of which he was incapacitated from further service, and was compelled to accept his honorable discharge. In the meantime, while lying helpless, he was captured by the rebels, but fortunately released on parole twenty-seven days later. He left the service in December, 1862, and returned to Stark County. Ill., remaining there unable to do any labor for more than a year. With the exception of a year spent in the army. he was a resident of that part of the Prairie State until crossing the Mississippi into Page County, Iowa, where he was a sojourner until coming to Nebraska in the spring of 1881.
The homestead of our subject embraces 160 acres of land, upon which he has effected good improvemnents carefully cultivating the soil, setting out fruit and shade trees, and surrounding his family with the comforts and conveniences of modern life. He gives his attention largely to stock-raising, although the cereals form no unimportant part of the products of his labor.
The parents of our subject were Thomas and Caroline (Harding) Mayborn, also of English birth and parentage. The father was a farmer by occupation; his death took place in Stark County, Ill. The mother is yet living. and a resident of Washington County. Kan. The household circle included six children, five sons and one daughter, of whom our subject was the eldest. He was married in Stark County, Ill., April 9, 1865, to Miss Rebecca, daughter of James and Ann (Carter) Jerrems, who were natives of England, and emigrated to the United States about 1832. Mrs. Mayborn was born April 5, 1845, in Oneida County, N. Y., and was the fourth in a family of eight children, four sons and four daughters. Of these four are living, and residents of Nebraska, Kansas and Iowa. The mother died in Oneida County, N. V., about 1850. The father is still living, and a resident of Washington County, Kan.
To Mr. and Mrs. Mayborn there have been horn four children--Thomas W., James A., George H. and Charles H. The eldest is twenty-one years of age, and the youngest six. In politics Mr. Mayborn is a member of the Republican party, and has served in his township as School Treasurer and Road Supervisor.
ENRY J. RANDALL, of the firm of Randall & Sons, carrying on a prosperous business in paperhanging and house and sign painting. has been established in the city of Beatrice since the spring of 1880, and is now numbered among its well-to-do business men, he was born in Wiltshire, England, Feb. 14, 1840, and was the second child of Frederick and Ann (Rogers) Randall, whose family included five sons and two daughters. Of these five are living, and residing mostly in the United States.
The parents of our subject, in 1851, when Henry J. was a lad of eleven years, emigrated to America with their little family and settled on a farm in Sullivan County, N. Y. There the father died twelve years later, in 1863. The mother is still living,
Note: Page numbers 453 & 454 are missing but I don't believe any text is missing.
© 2004 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller