GAGE COUNTY 465
September, 1883, when he decided to cast his lot among the people of Southern Nebraska.
The marriage of Jacob Feese and Miss Mary Abbie Mains was celebrated March 23, 1863, at the home of the bride in Pleasant Grove Township, Des Moines Co., Iowa. Mrs. Feese is the daughter of Philip and Sarah (Eggleston) Mains, who were born and reared in the Buckeye State. They were marred in Indiana, and were residents of Des Moines County, Iowa, for sixteen year, also residents of Fremont County for the same length of time. From there they came to Nebraska, settling in Paddock Township, this county, in February, 1887, where they now live. They have been the parents of thirteen children, eight of whom are now living.
Mrs. Feese was the fifth child of the parental household, and was born in Clermont County, Ohio, March 23, 1846. She grew up amid the surroundings of a comfortable home, and acquired her education in the common school. She was carefully trained by an excellent mother to habits of industry and economy, and remained under the home shelter until her marriage. Of her union with our subject there have been born four children Cora E., the wife of Simeon Hogrefe, of Wymore, this State; Ida L., Mrs. Jacob Young, of Sicily Township, this county; Philip Jean and Edwin L., at home with their parents. While a resident of Iowa Mr. Feese held the various township offices, and has always been recognized as a public-spirited citizen wherever his lot in life has been cast. Both he, and his estimable wife are member in good standing of the Baptist Church. Mr. F. cast his first Presidential vote for Lincoln, but is independent in politics, reserving the right of the free American citizen to support the men whom he considers best qualified to serve the interests of the people.
ILLIAM CRAIG, Mayor of Blue Springs, and largely identified with its business affairs, represents considerable real estate in which he is largely interested, the greater portion being city property. He is also conducting a flourishing hardware business, and as a man and a citizen ranks among the most highly respected residents of this county, and we are pleased to present his portrait on the opposite page.
Our subject is of stanch Pennsylvania stock, his father, Thomas Craig, having been born in Carbon County, that State, in 1800. He received a common-school education, and upon reaching manhood engaged in farming for a time, and later for nearly a half-century occupied himself as m hotel-keeper successfully at Lehigh, Water Gap. He was also owner of the stage line running between Mauch Chunk and Easton, from which he derived a handsome income. In addition to this he was extensively engaged in rafting lumber from the Upper Lehigh to Easton, Mauch Chunk and other points, having his own boat and making considerable money in this enterprise. During the memorable freshet of 1841 he lost heavily in boats and lumber. He continued as a hotel-keeper until the time of his death. For a number of years he dealt largely in general merchandise.
The father of our subject was married in early manhood to Miss Kuntz, who died young, leaving two children. Subsequently, in 1828, he was married to Miss Catherine Hagenbuch, and they became the parents of six children, five of whom lived to mature years. The father died in 1859, at the hotel which had been his home for so many years. Mrs. Catherine Craig, the mother of our subject also a native of the Keystone State, was a daughter of a hotel-keeper at Lehighton, where he spent many years of his life, and where he entered upon his final rest. Mrs. Craig remained with her parents until her marriage, and survived her husband twelve years, her death taking place at Lehigh Gap in 1871.
The parents of our subject were members in good standing of the Lutheran Church, and the father was especially prominent and active in all those matters pertaining to moral and religious education. The paternal grandfather of our subject, Thomas Craig, Sr., a native of Northampton County, Pa., served as a General in the Revolutionary War, and after the independence of the Colonies had been established, returned to his native place, where he engaged in farming, and lived to the ripe old age of ninety years. He was a lifelong Democrat, and the father of six children.
466 GAGE COUNTY
The subject of this sketch was born at Lehigh Gap, Pa., April 22, 1841. His primary studies were conducted in the schools of his native town. Later he became a student at Allentown Seminary, and completed his education in the Agricultural College in Center County. He then began teaching, but subsequently, in company with his brother John, embarked in general merchandising at Lehigh Gap, to which he added the business of boat-builder and railroad contractor. These interests he operated extensively and successfully, and subsequently dealt largely in lumber and coal at the same place, where he continued to live until the fall of 1882. Socially and politically, he was prominent in this county and community, and in fact the entire family were widely and favorably known throughout that region as comprising a portion of its best element. Three of his brothers were in the Pennsylvania Legislature, and two were elected to the State Senate.
Mr. Craig in 1882 disposed of his interests in the Keystone State, and coming west into Southern Nebraska located at once in Blue Springs, this county, establishing himself in his present business. Each year has added to his stock and his patronage, and he is rapidly approaching the point where, if he so wishes, he can retire, having already a competence. His promptness and reliability in his business transactions have made him a general favorite with the men of his community, while socially, together with his family, he occupies an enviable position. He takes a warm interest in the building up of the town, and does whatever lies in his power to further its moral and educational interests. He cast his first Presidential vote for McClellan, but changed his politics and sustained the Republican party until 1880, when his strong temperance proclivities led him to give his support to the Prohibitionists. He has been a member of the School Board almost from the time of coming here, and was elected to his present position of Mayor in the spring of 1888. The fact that the Republicans lead in this locality speaks well for his standing in the community. Religiously, he belongs to the Evangelical Association and is an energetic laborer in the Sunday-school.
Mr. Craig was married, Sept. 26, 1867, to Miss Mattie E. Gish, of Berlinsville, Pa., and they are now the parents of five children, viz: Annie E., William A., Frederick G., Jesse V. and Mattie F. They are all living at home with their parents, and being given the training and education winch will qualify them for useful and worthy members of society. Mrs. Craig was born Jan. 29, 1844, in Berlinsville, Northampton Co., Pa., and is the daughter of Abram and Elizabeth (Hummel) Gish, who were natives of Pennsylvania, and are now deceased. Her father was a man of prominence, farmer and merchant combined, and officiated as a Justice of the Peace for many years. He was, with his excellent wife, a member of the Evangelical Church, and departed this life at his home in Berlinsville in 1878. The mother was a member of the same church, and departed this life in June, 1884.
During the six years' residence of Mr. Craig in this county, he has fully established himself in the esteem and confidence of the people about him. He was nominated by the Prohibition convention of 1888 as candidate for Senator, an indication of the estimation in which he is held, and a great compliment to his worth and ability.
OHN P. WAGNER. The firm of G. W. Maurer & Co., dealers in farm implements, is recognized as one of the most enterprising and prosperous in the city of Beatrice, and is closely identified with the growth and prosperity of the city. Our subject was born in New Brunswick, March 15, 1848, where he lived until a lad ten years of age. His parents then removed to Kenosha County, Wis., and settled on a farm, remaining in the Badger State until coming to this county in April, 1867. They are now living on a farm one mile and a half northeast of Beatrice. The father, John W. Wagner, was born in Ireland, and married Miss Ellen Lane, who was a native of New Brunswick. They are the parents of eleven children. John P. was reared to farm pursuits, and acquired his education in the district school. He remained under the parental roof until about sixteen years of age, then repaired to Racine, Wis., where he learned the machinist trade, and worked two years. After-
GAGE COUNTY 467
ward he became traveling salesman for the Geiser Thrashing Machine Company, and in their interests compassed a large proportion of the Northwest, going through Wisconsin, Iowa and Michigan, and was thus employed for a period of four years. Subsequently he was engaged in the retail trade at Sylvania, Racine Co., Wis.
Mr. Wagner, in the spring of 1878, established his present business in Beatrice, in the building which he now occupies. The house carries a general line of everything pertaining to its branch of trade. Mr. Maurer became a partner in the business in February, 1888. Their square dealings and correct business methods have made the house one of the most popular in the city.
The subject of this sketch was married, Jan. 16, 1880, to Miss Nettie D. Shear, who was born in Lockport, N. Y., and is the daughter of J. D. and Mary Ann (Spickerman) Shear, natives of New York State, and now living in Thomas County, Kan. Mr. and Mrs. Wagner occupy a snug home on North Eighth street, and are the parents of one child, a son, Lee E., born in July, 1882. The Wagner Block was put up by our subject in 1883. It is 50x100 in dimensions, and two stories in height with basement. The latter is occupied by other parties. Besides his town property Mr. Wagner owns two farms which are largely devoted to stock purposes. He makes a specialty of fine horses, principally trotting stock.
OBERT S. ALBRIGHT, physician and surgeon, holds a good position among the members of the profession in the city of Beatrice, where he enjoys a good practice, and numbers among his friends and patrons its best people. His earliest recollections are of a modest home in the vicinity of Martinsburg, Blair Co., Pa., where his birth took place Oct. 21, 1861, the youngest of a family of seven children, six of whom are living. His parents were John and Sarah (Hamm) Albright, who were also natives of the Keystone State, and traced their ancestry to Germany.
When our subject was a little lad five years of age. his parents removed to Ogle County. Ill., settling on a farm, where they lived until 1876, the father dying that year. In the Spring of 1884 the mother removed to Beatrice. A more extended record of their lives will be found in the sketch of Rev. G. H. Albright a brother of our subject, and which will be found elsewhere in this volume. Robert S. grew to manhood in Ogle County, Ill., where he attended the common schools, completing the scientific course at Polo. He began the study of medicine at Polo, under the instruction of Dr. J. B. Snyder, and subsequently took a course of lectures at Rush Medical College, Chicago, from which he was graduated in 1884. In the spring of that year he came to Beatrice, and unaided and alone made his way slowly upward to his present position. He is a close student, and keeps himself well posted upon modern theories and methods. Politically, he supports the Republican ticket, and is a member of the Nebraska State Medical Society. He is still single.
OHN SCHMUCK, of Beatrice, was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, near the beautiful blue Rhine, April 2, 1834, and is the son of Peter and Mary E. (Bader) Schmuck. His father was by occupation a shoemaker. He left his native country for the United States, and his family never after saw or heard from him. About six years after this event the mother emigrated to America with her children, and settled at Mendota, Ill., where she died in her sixtieth year. She was the mother of six children, three sons and three daughters, our subject being the second born. He commenced to lay the foundation of his education when he was six years of age, and continued with fair regularity until his fourteenth birthday. He was then apprenticed for the usual term of three years to learn his trade, after which he traveled as a journeyman shoemaker until he reached his twentieth year.
In the year 1854 our subject emigrated to America, thus being four years before his mother and the rest of the family came, and landed after an ocean voyage of thirty-seven days in New York; thence he
468 GAGE COUNTY
went to Lyons. N. Y.. and after a time on to Waterloo, in the same State, working at his trade in each place. From the latter place he transferred the sphere of his operations to Mendota, Ill., where he remained about three years, and then went to Bloomington in the same State, and from there he went to Tennessee, where he remained one winter, and then returned to Illinois, stopping at Peoria, in each of these places working at his trade. In 1873 he found his way to Nebraska, and went onto a farm which he purchased. This was just before the ever-memorable grasshopper visitation, and as they went to work and ate up every green blade and leaf upon the farm, he returned to the city, to the bench, lap-stone, awl and wax-end, and began again uniting upper to sole. In this he continued up to 1887, every year witnessing a marked increase in his sales and business.
In 1887, our subject having invested his savings from time to time in the purchase of city property, realized in the increased values quite a handsome profit, and from that time he has continued to be interested in real-estate transactions with a most unusually fortunate experience. In the same year he built what is known as the Schmuck Block, a very fine brick structure three stories in height, and covering a ground surface of 23x94 feet. The first floor of this building is occupied by Schmidt & Jones' store; the second is built into offices, and the third is used for dwelling purposes. Over against the present success, prosperity and ease of circumstances, must be placed in remembrance, in order to the full appreciation thereof, the practical nothingness possessed, excepting only his trade, at the time when he started in life for himself at the age of seventeen, and to-day he can look back and know that his life has been financially a perfect success. He has recently sold his farm.
The companion of our subject for the last twenty-eight years, one who has shared the trials, difficulties and hardships with him in the past, as she enjoys also the prosperity of the present, is Anna (Kemp) Schmuck, who was united to him in marriage on the 15th of February, 1860. This lady was born in Butler County, Ohio, near Cincinnati, June 7, 1839, and is the daughter of Christian and Mary (Somers) Kemp. Through all the years of her faithful wedded life she has considered at all times their interests and happiness one. This highly respected family might serve as an example and inspiration to many just starting in the path of life. In one especial feature is the success of our subject noticeable and worthy of thoughtful imitation--it is the fact that he began life with a thorough knowledge of a trade, and was from the beginning a skilled laborer. The world always has room for and will welcome such.
ENJAMIN F. HERTZLER is the youngest of a family of eight children born to Christian and Barbara (Myers) Hertzler, natives of Lancaster County, Pa. The father of out subject was a farmer by occupation, and upon his marriage settled in Cumberland County, and so managed his business that financially he was quite well-to-do. He was one of the most intelligent and efficient practical farmers in the county, and his advice was often sought and usually followed. He spent his last days, as did also his wife, on the Cumberland County farm, and died at a good old age. Their family included eight children: Mary, the wife of Jacob Eberly, of Mechanicsburg, Pa.; Christian, who is one of Cumberland County's prosperous farmers; Samuel; Elias; Barbara, wife of John Myers, of Cumberland County, Pa.; Jacob and our subject; all but the latter are residents of Pennsylvania. The second eldest child, Abram, died in the year 1871, aged thirty-three years.
Our subject grew up surrounded by all the work and worry, hush and rush, light and shadow, of farm life. At an early age he was given a place in the common school of the district, and from that went to farming, continuing to reside with his parents until he attained his majority. In Mechanicsburg, Pa., in 1874, he was united in marriage with Elizabeth Nisley, who was born in Cumberland County, Pa., to John and Rebecca Nisley, who were natives of that State. Their daughter was born at Mechanicsburg, Jan. 25, 1856.
After their marriage, which was celebrated at Mechanicsburg, our subject engaged in farming, and dealt more or less extensively in live stock
GAGE COUNTY 469
until the year 1884, when he came to Nebraska and purchased his present farm, which had been somewhat improved, but since that time our subject has largely remodeled everything and added not a few valuable improvements to those already made. He works his farm in the interest of general agriculture, to which is added some dealings in stock, although this is not extensively engaged in by Mr. Hertzler. Mr. and Mrs. Hertzler have a very interesting family of four children, who have received the names, Bertha, Joseph, Annie and Benjamin Franklin.
The life and home of Mr. and Mrs. Hertzler present some idea of the sentiment in the mind of Henry Payne when he wrote his world-renowned poem concerning "home.'' The underlying principle that makes their home so pleasant and their lives so cheerful and beautiful is the fact of their whole-hearted belief in the Christian religion, and their continued practice of its tenets, which it has been frequently remarked seem always to have that effect. They are members of the United Brethren Church, and have been from the time of their residence in Pennsylvania. In all matters of civic and political nature Mr. Hertzler is deeply interested, and is usually found to vote with the Republican party, of which he has been a stanch and firm supporter for many years, and upon all occasions of special interest he is found devoting even more than his usual energy to the advancement of its interests.
BER E. HILTON. The name of our subject is most intimately connected with the modern improvements along the line of engineering triumphs introduced into the city of Wymore, and without question he has had more to do with the efficiency of the appliances in use in the city than any other. He first came to the city in the year 1884, having previously been here and purchased property in the employ of the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad as civil engineer in charge of the work of that company at Diller, then of the finishing and examining of all the work from that place to Blue River. He has held the position of City Engineer for three consecutive terms, and while holding this office was also employed by Messrs. Reynolds Bros. to take charge of the engineering and laying down of the Wymore Street Railroad.
Eber Hilton, the father of our subject, was born in Ohio, in the year 1818. He was educated and reared in his native State, and after completing his schooling became a farmer, remaining with his mother, who was a widow, operating the home farm until he was almost of age. He then married Miss Elizabeth McMacken, when he took a farm in Defiance County, Ohio, where he spent the remainder of his life, dying at the age of thirty years, in 1848. To them were born three children, all of whom live, and one son, Joseph ,J., who met his death at the age of nineteen in the United States service.
Elizabeth McMacken, the mother of our subject, was the daughter of Judge Joseph McMacken, of Ft. Wayne, Ind., and was born about 1821, and resided with her parents until the time of her marriage. Upon the death of her husband she was left with three children, and in order to their support taught school for several years, and about 1854 married Judge W. D. Haymaker, after a widowhood of six years. Her children always had a home with her in this new relation, and found as near as such a thing is possible a second father in the second husband of their mother. Judge Haymaker has since been twice to the Legislature from Defiance County, in which district his home was made after his marriage.
The grandfather of our subject, Joshua Hilton, was born in Maine, and removed about the year 1812 to the Miami Valley, in the vicinity of the city of Dayton, Ohio, and afterward went to a farm upon the banks of the Maumee River in the northwestern part of the State. The condition of the country could not perhaps be better expressed than by stating the fact that between his house there and Ft. Wayne there was but one house, and between his home and where Toledo now stands only two houses. The first house erected by him was of the logs he had hewn in clearing his farm, but afterward he made brick sufficient, and put up a larger and more comfortable dwelling, winch still stands.
470 GAGE COUNTY
Our subject was born on the 9th of January, 1849, about three months after the time of his father's death. which occured in the above-mentioned brick house at Defiance. As soon as he came to a proper age he was given a good, practical, common-school education, gradually helping in the various duties of the farm until he was enabled largely to take control. His stepfather died when he was about ten years of age, and he remained at home thus employed as above until he was about twenty-one years of age. From there he went to the city of Washington, and spent one year as clerk in the agricultural department. The next eight years were spent in the office of the City Engineer of Toledo, in hard and diligent study in order to an intimate acquaintance with the details of his chosen calling. In the year 1879 he came West and worked for the Atchison & Nebraska Railroad Company, and upon the 1st of November of the same year engaged with the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad Company, and continued in their employ for two and a half years, and then went to Montana on the Northern Pacific Railroad for five months, when he returned home to his mother, who was lying very sick. He staid with her until the spring, and then returned to the employ of the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad Company, and continued in their employ until quite recently, whenever there was any work to do, and the value they set upon his services is shown in the fact that he has only been unemployed ten months in over seven years, and was engaged principally in charge of grading and bridging, he holding the position of Division Engineer of the company. For the last three years our subject has held the office of City Engineer, and had charge of everything pertaining thereto.
At Defiance, Ohio, Sept. 7, 1854, there was born to Herman and Ann Willerling a daughter, named Rillia. Her father was a native of Germany, and came to the United States about the year 1842, took up a tract of land and settled in Ohio. As their daughter grew she was given a practical education, and as she advanced to years of womanhood began to develop and manifest those traits of character and personal qualities which first attracted the attention of our subject, and have since encircled his life with a halo of happiness. This lady was married to our subject at Defiance, Ohio, Sept. 14, 1883.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Hilton are members in good standing of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and active in its enterprise, prominent in its Sunday-school work, and very efficient in any engagement of a similar nature. Our subject is one of the Trustees of the church, and discharges the duties connected therewith with that conscientious thoroughness that has marked his whole life, with the natural result that he and Mrs. Hilton are most highly esteemed, not so much on account of their profession as their practice.
SAAC N. McCONNELL. The real-estate business of Beatrice forms no unimportant portion of its transactions, and the subject of this sketch is one of its oldest representatives. He is a native of Ohio, and was born near Bucyrus, in Crawford County, April 21, 1846. He was the sixth child in a family of five sons and eight daughters, only two of whom are now living, our subject and his sister, Maria B., wife of Dr. O. O. Wells, of Beatrice. The parents were Alexander W. and Maria G. (Glassgow) McConnell, both of highly respectable families, and the descendants of substantial Scotch-Irish ancestry. The father was a carder and fuller by occupation; he also carried on a woolen-mill for several years. He departed this life at his home in Bucyrus, June 10, 1882. The mother is still living, and makes her home with our subject at Beatrice.
The boyhood of Mr. McConnell was spent in his native town, where he attended the public school during his earlier years; his business experience began when but a lad of thirteen, he entered a store of general merchandise as clerk. Later, when seventeen years old, he enlisted in the Union Army, becoming a member of Company E, 136th Ohio National Guards, and was mustered into the service of the United States May 2, 1864, and with his comrades was sent to Ft. Worth, Va., where they were assigned to garrison duty; he gained an insight into the methods of general warfare, but did not participate in any active engagement. He was mustered
GAGE COUNTY 471
out Aug. 21, 1864, and returning to his native town in the Buckeye State resumed his old position in the store where he had been employed formerly, continuing there for a period of five years and until coming to this county.
Mr. McConnell came to Beatrice in January, 1869. and at once opening a real-estate office began entering land for non-residents. When this began to change hands he operated on commission, and was thus actively employed until the city and country began to develop, when he handled city property, and to this kind of real estate has of late years given most of his attention. He has been considerably interested in farming lands, and has a business which extends 100 miles west of this point. He has a fine residence in the city besides his farm property. The grounds around the former are greatly admired, and are not only a matter of pride in the town but highly indicative of the taste and means of the proprietor.
Mr. McConnell, politically, votes the straight Republican ticket. and has been prominent in the political affairs of this locality, representing his party in the State Convention. Mr. McConnell was elected Mayor of the city of Beatrice for two terms.
HRISTIANNAS L. HIJTCHINSON is an enterprising farmer who has recently located on his fine farm, which he purchased some years ago on section 15, Paddock Township. He is a sagacious, clear-headed, wide-awake man, and it is his pride that he is classed among the self-made men of the country, he having acquired all his property by hard labor and judicious management while still a young man. He was born June 5, 1852, in Berks County, Pa., being a son of John S. and Sarah E. (Van Hart) Hutchinson, natives of Pennsylvania.
The parents of our subject moved from Pennsylvania to Macoupin County, Ill., in 1854, and staid there for about ten years, the father being engaged in agricultural pursuits. Thence they removed to Logan County in the same State. They subsequently, however, took up their abode in Champaign County, Ill., where they still reside. They are now enjoying the fruits of a well-spent life, and are held by all around them in respect and esteem for their many sterling qualities of mind and heart. They are faithful members of the Presbyterian Church, and are known to be true Christians by their work.
Christiannas Hutchinson, of whom we write, was reared on an Illinois farm and has made agriculture his business ever since he became a man. He remained an inmate of the parental household until he was twenty-three, rendering his father great assistance in the management of his farm, as he was strong, active, and knew how to work to the best advantage. At the age mentioned Mr. Hutchinson began life for himself without money, but with plenty of pluck and muscle, and to these he attributes his success. April 7, 1881, he took a very important step toward establishing the cozy home that he now enjoys by his marriage to Miss Anna C. Johnston. She is a daughter of Hale and Lucy Johnston, who live in Champaign County, Ill. They are members of the Presbyterian Church, and are highly esteemed people. The marriage of our subject and his wife has been blessed to them by the birth of two daughters--Ella and Anna B.
In February, 1884, Mr. Hutchinson set his face toward Nebraska with the intention of investing some of his hard-won cash in the wonderfully fertile farm lands of Gage County, and he then bought 160 acres on section 15, Paddock Township. Although he was well pleased with this locality he did not immediately locate here, but returned to his home in Illinois. In March, 1888, he came back here to settle on his land, having wound up his affairs in the Prairie State. He soon bought an additional eighty acres of land adjoining his first purchase, on which he has built corn cribs, wagon sheds, etc. Although he has been here but a short time, with characteristic energy he has already made many valuable improvements on his farm, all of which is under cultivation, except the part devoted to pasturage. He has set out a thrifty orchard of seventy-five apple and forty peach trees. From experience he has found hog-raising very remunerative, and he is going to give special attention to that branch of stock-raising, he having brought
472 GAGE COUNTY
some full-blooded Poland-China hogs with him from Illinois.
Mr. Hutchinson bears a fine reputation in his old home as being a practical man, of sound principles and stability of purpose, one whose word was never doubted, one in whom his neighbors put perfect confidence, and as such he may be regarded as a great acquisition to this community. He and his wife are stanch members of the Presbyterian Church, and their influence will always be found on the side of the right. Politically, Mr. Hutchinson belongs to the Republican party, and he is firm in his support of its policy.
HILLIP J. MYERS. The subject of this writing is among the most valuable citizens the country possesses. He is making it his chief business to provide the farmer as he goes about the work of producing material for the world's market, and the tradesman in the commercial world, with the highest class of animals, in harmony with the law of "the survival of the fittest." He is one of the most substantial farmers and horse-raisers of the county, and his beautiful farm is located on sections 20 and 21, Midland Township. He has been a resident of this county since 1873, and of the State since 1869. He was born on the 30th of May, 1835, in Prussia, and is the son of Jacob and Margaret (Julius) Myers. The family came to the United States in the spring of 1836, and settled first in Albany, N. Y., where for about four years the father of our subject followed the occupation of gardening. In September, 1840, they removed to Kenosha County, Wis., and entered land and engaged in farming and stock-raising. The journey from Albany was taken by way of the Erie Canal to Buffalo, and thence by way of the lake to Wisconsin. His family included at that time, besides himself and wife, five children. The boats at that time ran only about once in three months. He brought considerable property with him in the vessel, consisting of household and other goods, and as this was a day before the erection of freight houses, the goods upon being removed from the vessel were piled upon the beach, where, he was informed, they would be perfectly safe, but that night a storm arose and in the morning they found everything had been washed into the lake and lost, leaving them with only the few things they wore or had carried in their hands.
Left as above described, Mr. Myers. Sr., sought employment, and, for two years worked as hard as it was possible for him to do, and was successful in making a fresh start. He became the owner of an exceptionally fine and well equipped farm, and for many years prior to his death enjoyed the golden harvest of his success. He was called to his last rest at the age of seventy-nine years, in the year 1876. His widow survived him until the year 1885, and died at the good old age of ninety years. Their family of five children all grew up to years of maturity, and it was their pleasure to see them well started in life. Jacob, the eldest son, is one of California's "forty-niners," and is a resident of Colusa County, that State; Catherine, the second child (deceased), was the wife of Dr. Edward Hopkins, of California, in which State her brother Andrew resides; Francis G. went to California in 1849, and raised the first grain in that State, and thrashed it with the first machine used there; it was a one-horse tread power, open cylinder thrashing-machine, and was brought by way of Cape Horn, at a cost of $5,000; he is now a resident of Kenosha, Wis. The youngest. child was our subject. Phillip J.
At the time of the removal of the family to the United States our subject was less than a year old, and his early memories, therefore, center around the Kenosha homestead. Here he received his early education and training in farm work and care of stock, he continued to reside at home until he was twenty-two years of age, when he started for himself. In 1859 he was united in marriage with Mary Biehn. She was born in Bavaria, Germany, April 17, 1835, and was the daughter of Fred and Margaret Biehn. The family came to America in the year 1850, and settled in Kenosha County, not far from the family of Mr. Myers, Sr.
For several years after his marriage our subject continued farming in Wisconsin, but in the year 1869 determined to go West, and settled in Jefferson County, Neb., being accompanied by his brother-in-law, Zachariah Slater. They brought from Wis-
© 2004 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller