482 GAGE COUNTY
in that county, and carried it on with good financial results for some years. It was in this period of his life that our subject obtained his war record, for while a resident of Illinois he volunteered to serve his adopted country in the fall of 1864, and was mustered into the ranks of the Federal army as a member of Company C, 99th Illinois Infantry, and did good service as a brave and loyal soldier until the close of the war.
On his retirement from the army Mr. Barry removed to Peoria County, Ill., and after staying there nearly seven years, he went to Livingston County, in the same State, where he resided about ten years. At the expiration of that time he came to Gage County, Neb., attracted hither by the reports of the richness and productiveness of the soil. With admirable judgment he selected a tract of 160 acres of wild prairie land on section 27, Paddock Township, which is still included in his present farm, he now has it all under a fine state of tillage; he has erected a fine house, a handsome, large structure, a good barn, granaries, corn cribs, and has made all the needed improvements to make it one of the show places of the township. He has also increased the acreage of his farm by purchases of other land from time to time; he bought eighty acres on section 34, joining the home place on the south, and he also owns 160 acres in Barneston Township. We have seen that Mr. Barry arrived in this country without money, and in all his prosperity he has not forgotten that many a day he has toiled hard for the paltry sum of fifty cents. Indeed, it is his pride that he is a self-made man, and that he owes his present financial standing solely to his own exertions. He now proposes to live at ease during his declining years, surrounded by all the comforts that money can buy, and he will be enabled to leave a legacy to his children.
During all these years of struggle and toil Mr. Barry has had the efficient aid of a capable wife, to whom he was married in New York City in 1853. Mrs. Barry is likewise a native of Ireland, and her maiden name was Catherine O'Brien. Their marriage has been blessed to our subject and his wife by the birth of ten children, eight of whom survive, namely: John W., William H., Dennis, Thomas S., George D., Mary E., Jane and James.
Three of their children are married; the remainder live at home with their parents. John married Anna Sheron; William married Lettie A. McAllister, Dennis married Hattie A., daughter of Marquis Spencer, whose biography appears in this work. The family are all members of the Roman Catholic Church, of Odell. Mr. Barry is a strong Democrat in his political views, but his sons are sturdy Republicans and Prohibitionists. Mr. Barry is a genial, generous, whole-souled gentleman, liberal and public-spirited, and is liked and respected throughout the community.
ON. ISAAC W. FUNCK. The subject of this sketch is the oldest resident dentist of the city of Beatrice, and a man holding a high position in the community. Intelligent, of good education, and self-made in the broadest sense of the term, his career has been one upon which he can reflect with pardonable satisfaction. At the county Republican Convention, held in Beatrice in August, 1888, he was chosen the candidate of his party for State Senator, and was elected by a handsome majority.
Dr. Funck was born in Huntingdon County, Pa., April 25, 1848, and was the third child in a family of three sons and one daughter, of whom only three are living. The parents, Abraham and Catherine (Winters) Funck, were born and reared in the State of Pennsylvania, where the father learned the trade of blacksmith, which he followed during early manhood. Later he engaged in farming, and spent his entire life in his native State, his death taking place in Huntingdon County, in August, 1883. The mother is still living, and continues at the old homestead. The parents on both sides of the house were of German descent.
The subject of this sketch was reared as a farmer's boy, and pursued his early studies first in the district school, later attended a select school, and finally entered upon an academic course at Kishacoquillas. Upon approaching manhood he began teaching during the winter season, and worked on the farm in summer. he commenced the study of dentistry at Huntingdon, under the instruction of
GAGE COUNTY 483
Dr. Thomas J. Gibson. He left his native State in 1871, crossing the Mississippi and coming to Nebraska, taking up his abode first in Falls City. In 1873 he became a resident of Beatrice. he now occupies offices in the Gage County National Bank Block, where he has all the modern appliances for his work, and of the latter has sufficient to keep him constantly employed, he has been quite prominent in public affairs, having been Road Supervisor of the city of Beatrice.
The Doctor was married, April 16, 1872, to Miss Susan Stump, of Falls City. Mrs. Funck was born March 3, 1853, in Wells County, Ind., and is the daughter of Samuel and Sarah (McFaddin) Stump, who were natives of Pennsylvania and Virginia respectively. The father is now deceased, but the mother is still living. Of this union there are four children, viz: Alice, Albert, Edith and Warren. Dr. Funck, politically, votes the Republican ticket, and socially, belongs to the I. O. O. F., being a member of Beatrice Lodge No. 19, in which he has passed all the Chairs.
HESTER H. CALKINS, an extensive landowner and breeder of blooded horses, has his headquarters in the city of Beatrice, to which he came in 1879. He is a man very capable and enterprising, one who is never idle, and his industry has been rewarded in the possession of a fine property accumulated mostly through his own efforts, He was born near the city of Springfield, in Sangamon County, Ill., April 24, 1841, being the second child of Daniel A. and Lavina (Innman) Calkins, who were the parents of three sons and one daughter.
Daniel A. Calkins was born in Vermont, and before his marriage left his native hills, settling in the State of New York. The mother was a native of the latter State, and there the parents were married. They took up their residence in that State for a time, and then Mr. Calkins, desirous of a larger field of operation, emigrated to Sangamon County, Ill., and engaged quite extensively in stock-raising. He is still living, and has arrived at the advanced age of eighty-five years; the mother is seventy-eight years old. Years ago they left Sangamon County, removing to Will County, Ill., and about 1874 to Iroqouis County, where they now live.
When the subject of this sketch was a lad about twelve years of age his parents removed from Sangamon County to Will County, Ill., where he completed his education in the district school, and developed into manhood, He continued with his parents, occupied mostly in farming pursuits, and left Will County in 1879, coming directly to Beatrice, this State. Shortly afterward he purchased a tract of new land in Filley Township, upon which he spent one year, effecting considerable improvements, then removed to Beatrice, where he has since lived, he added from time to time to his first purchase, and is now the owner of 640 acres, the greater part in a productive condition, provided with suitable farm buildings. Since coming to this county he has improved seven farms, one of them having been land upon which the town of Ellis now stands; another lies in Sicily Township. The farm in Filley Township is mainly devoted to his stock operations. Noticeable among his horses are three magnificent draft animals of Norman, Clydesdale and Morgan stock, respectively, and one of them, "Black Traveler," is in the habit of carrying off the blue ribbons, having taken first premium at the State Fair in Lincoln, where he was in competition with twenty-six others.
Mr. Calkins is also interested in the breeding of Holstein cattle and Poland-China hogs. and in this line also exhibits sonic of the finest animals to be found in the county. His career has been essentially that of a self-made man. He started out for himself at the age of thirteen years, with no capital but a pair of willing hands, and worked six years for one man on a farm in Will County. He was married, Oct. 7, 1867, to Miss Emma Boot, of Kane County, Ill., by whom he had three children --Ida, Cora and Alice. The present wife of our subject, to whom he was married Sept. 10, 1887, was formerly Mrs. Hattie L. Martin, nee Adams, daughter of Benjamin and Helen (Purcel) Adams; her parents are deceased. Of this union there has been born one child, a son, Chester H., Jr.
Mr. Calkins, politically, votes the straight Repub-
484 GAGE COUNTY
lican ticket. In addition to his landed interests he is the owner of valuable city property, including a good residence in Beatrice, which, with its surroundings, forms one of its most pleasant and attractive homes.
ENRY RICE. Among the intelligent and well-educated gentlemen who are identified with the farming interests of Gage County, the subject of this sketch occupies a prominent position, as he is the owner of one of the finest farms in Paddock Township. It comprises 240 acres of well fenced and highly cultivated land, pleasantly located on sections 20 and 29, Paddock Township, and with its handsome residence, commodious barn and other farm buildings, adds much to the scenic features of this locality.
Mr. Rice was born in Maryland, Sept. 20, 1842. He was early left an orphan, as his parents, Henry and Hannah (Friedly) Rice, natives of Maryland, died, the former before the birth of our subject, and the latter when he was but three years old. He then fell to the kindly care of his aunt, Catherine Rice, a sister-in-law of his father, and by her he was taken to Ogle County, Ill. He was there reared by his aunt and given the benefit of a superior education in Mt. Morris College, which excellent institution of learning is located in that county. He can scarcely have completed his collegiate education when he went forth as an untried and youthful soldier, to learn on Southern battlefields the bitter lessons of the hardships and dangers of war, as he was but twenty-one years old when he enlisted, Dec. 12, 1863, in Company D, 4th Illinois Cavalry. He served nearly three years with his company, taking part in fifty-eight engagements, among which were Vicksburg, Red River, etc., winning a record for coolness and efficiency in the hour of battle of which he may well be proud. In June, 1866, he was honorably discharged. Notwithstanding the many times he had been under fire he returned home unhurt and without a wound, except by a horse falling on him in a charge. He is now a member of the G. A. R., Reserve Post No. 148, of Odell.
When Mr. Rice began life for himself he had no money, but his education was his capital, and he adopted the profession of a teacher. He was engaged as a schoolmaster for eight years with marked success, and thus obtained the means to enable him to become a farmer, he first turned his attention to agriculture in 1874, and for some time farmed in the summer and in the winter season resumed his pedagogical duties. In March, 1883, Mr. Rice came to Gage County, and purchased his present farm, on which then stood a small house and barn. The replacement of these, and the numerous other splendid improvements that he has brought about, testify to his arduous labors and to the money that he has so judiciously expended in order to accomplish so much in a comparatively short time. Mr. Rice undoubtedly owes his success to his indomitable will, close attention to the details of his business, and to his financial ability.
Our subject was married in Ogle County, Ill., March 25, 1874, to Miss Mary J., daughter of Samuel and Janet Hitt. Their pleasant home circle is completed by the three children who have been born to them--Charles E.; George and Andrew, twins.
ARVIN F. WESTON. Among the most worthy citizens of Barneston Township is the subject of the present writing, whose residence and farming property is situated on section 5. He is the son of Charles and Delana (Brimmer) Weston, and was born at their home in Washington County. N. Y., on the 19th of April, 1843. His father was a native of Massachusetts, and prior to his removal to LaSable County, Ill., in 1847, he followed the trade of a shoemaker, but from that time until his death he operated his farm in that place. He died at the age of seventy-five years, in 1875.
Of the seven children born to the parents of our subject, only he and his sister Lydia survive. This lady is now the wife of William Evans, of Chicago, in which city they reside. Our subject received a fair education in the common branches in the usual institution of learning in LaSalle County, where he was brought up, and from earliest boyhood worked upon the farm, and has continued to
GAGE COUNTY 485
make husbandry the occupation of his life. Although but about four years of age when his parents removed from New York, the journey made such an impression upon the mental retina as to be retained, at least in outline, until the present. There were but two methods of travel used in that trip; from the East to Chicago they journeyed via the Lakes, and thence to Peru, their destination, by wagon.
In the late war our subject served for three mouths in Company G, 139th Illinois Infantry, and at the conclusion of that period for another three months in Company B, 68th Illinois Infantry. His military experience was not so startling, dangerous or terrible as many, because for the greater part of the time his regiment was either performing guard duty or was held in reserve. At the close of the war he returned to his home at LaSalle, and engaged in farming. In 1882 Mr. Weston came to this county, and settled where he now resides, and where he has been continuously engaged in farming and stock-raising.
In the Masonic fraternity our subject is recognized as a member in good standing; he is also connected with the Knights of Pythias, and usually meets with them in Wymore. In his political opinions and principles he is in harmony with the Republican party, of which for many years he has been a stanch friend and ardent supporter. In the community at large our subject is a recognized friend of good morals and every enterprise and organization that looks to that end, and is proportionately respected by his fellow-citizens.
EWIS E. WALKER, insurance and loan agent, has his office at the corner of Court and Sixth streets, in Beatrice, and occupies a good position among the business men of his community. His earliest recollections are of a modest home, comprising a log house on a farm in West Point, in the vicinity of Lodi, Wis., where he first opened his eyes to the light June 28, 1854. The eldest of four children, two sons and two daughters, He is the son of Isaac V. N. and Mary E. (Davis) Walker, who were natives of New York State, the father born in the town of Chatham, and the mother in the now flourishing city of Troy. After marriage they emigrated to Wisconsin, settling on a farm among the pioneers of Columbia County, where they still live.
The brothers and two sisters of our subject are residents of Wisconsin. The boyhood of Lewis E. was passed in the manner common to farmers' sons, he attending the district school and assisting in the lighter duties around the homestead. After attending the school at West Point, near his home, he entered the Lodi High School, from which he was graduated in the class of '74. Later he became a student of the University of Wisconsin, at Madison, from which he was again graduated in the class of '78. In the meantime he also officiated as teacher in the Madison Business College, and during his junior and senior years, in connection with R. M. Lafollette, a fellow student, now member of Congress from the Third Wisconsin Congressional District, he published and edited the University Press.
Upon leaving school our subject began the study of law in the office of Richard Lindsay, in Lodi, Wis., and after becoming duly advanced entered the law department of the State University at Madison, from which he was graduated in 1880. He commenced the practice of his profession in the city of Portage, Wis., and later became the associate of Baker & Walker, a law firm of that city, with which he continued about two years, and then, on account of failing health, retired from office business, and took up his residence on a farm near Lodi, Wis., which change proved very beneficial. In 1883 he came to Nebraska, establishing himself at Beatrice, where he has since remained.
For two years after taking up his residence in the above city our subject was connected with the firm of Thomas Yule & Son, in the abstract and loan business. In November, 1885, he established himself in his present business, and has met with uniform success. He was married, Sept. 25, 1878, to Miss Bessie J., daughter of Thomas Yule, a highly respected citizen of Beatrice, and of this union there are three children, two daughters and a son--Mary Grace, Louise E. and Robert Yule. The little family occupies a tasteful home in the northeastern part
486 GAGE COUNTY
of the city, and by the social circle in which they move are held in high esteem.
Mr. Walker represents the Second Ward in the City Council. and was one of the organizers of the Beatrice Building Association, of which he is Secretary and Treasurer. He is also a Director and Secretary of the Masonic Building Association. While attending the University at Madison. in 1876, he was appointed Superintendent of the Wisconsin Agricultural Department at the Centennial. Politically, he gives his support to Republican principles. He identified himself with the Congregational Church about 1864, was one of the first Superintendents of the Congregational Sunday-school, and was for a time Church Treasurer. He is a member of Beatrice Lodge No. 26, A. F. & A. M. He was a member of the Alpha Chapter of Wisconsin, of the Phi Kappa Psi, college fraternity.
AREY B. JAMES is a prominent farmer and stock-raiser of Gage County, and owns a farm which is one of the largest and best cultivated in Paddock Township, and, with its ample and substantial buildings, its fine residence of stone, the handsomest in the township, adds greatly to the attractiveness of the scenic features of the surrounding country. He is a pioneer of this township, and has taken a prominent part in developing its agricultural interests.
Mr. James is a native of Illinois, born in Marshall County, Aug. 4, 1837, to William and Jarusha A. (Bird) James, natives of Tennessee. In 1834 his parents removed to Marshall County, Ill., and thus became identified with its early settlers, taking an active part in promoting its growth, and living to see its development into a wealthy and populous county. The father died there in 1877, having rounded out a period of seventy-five years, wherein he had well performed the part of an honest man, a devoted citizen, a kind husband and a good father. His worthy wife, who shared with him the full respect of the community where they lived for so many years, died in 1850.
The subject of our sketch was reared in his native county, and at the age of twenty-one he started out in the world to make his own way, with no other capital than a sound mind in a sound body. With steady courage and persistent devotion to duty, he has now acquired wealth, and, what is better, the honor and respect of all with whom he associates. From his native place he went to Woodford County, Ill., and remained a resident of that county for many years. He was married in Marshall, Dec. 10, 1861, to Miss Susan Wienteer, a daughter of John and Fanny Wienteer, who still live in Woodford County. She was a woman whose many amiable qualities won for her the esteem of all. She led a true and consistent Christian life, and was a member of the Baptist Church. Her death, which took place Feb. 8, 1880, was a sad loss to time home circle and to society. To her and her husband had been born three children--John C., Frank E. and Fanny. The latter died July 10, 1880, aged six months. Mr. James was a second time married, Dec. 29, 1880, Mrs. Rebecca McClay, of Woodford County, Ill., becoming his wife. She is a native of Pennsylvania, and a daughter of William and Barbara Fehrman, who were likewise natives of that State. Her father died in Cowley County, Kan., aged about eighty, and her mother died in McLean County, Ill., Nov. 9, 1878, aged seventy-seven years. Mrs. James has been previously twice married, James O. Campbell, to whom she was united Sept. 8, 1857, being her first husband. By that marriage she had two children, William T., and Mary S., now Mrs. Leander C. Payne. Mr. Campbell died March 19, 1865, having been shot on the battle-field of Goldsboro, N. C. He enlisted Aug. 10, 1862, in Company E, 125th Illinois Infantry, serving faithfully until his death. He was a valued member of the Christian Church. Mrs. James was married to Wills E. McClay, Feb. 1, 1866. He died March 9, 1873. He was a devoted member of the Presbyterian Church.
On the 13th of August, 1862, Mr. James laid aside his work to go to the assistance of his country on Southern battle-fields, and his military record shows that he was a brave and efficient soldier. He was a member of Company H, 77th Illinois Infantry, and with his regiment took part in many battles, among which may be mentioned Chickasaw Bayou, Arkansas Post, Magnolia Hills and Vicks-
GAGE COUNTY 487
burg. He was mustered out of service July 10, 1865, and notwithstanding the many dangers that he encountered, he came home unscathed and in good health, except that he was suffering somewhat from the effects of a sunstroke received at Ft. Gibson, Miss. He is now a member of Coleman Post No. 115. G. A. R., of Wymore.
In February, 1881, Mr. James removed to Nebraska with his family and located on his present farm of 480 acres, on sections 1, 2, 11 and 12. There was then only a house and barn on the place, but he has since erected a fine stone house, and has otherwise greatly improved the value of his farm, so that it is one of the best improved farms in this township. He also owns 160 acres of land on sections 10 and 11, all the property that he has thus far acquired being the result of his untiring industry and good business ability. Mr. James has been particularly successful in raising cattle, the Shorthorns being his favorite breed, and he usually feeds about 100 head a year.
Mr. and Mrs. James occupy a high social position in this community, and their geniality, kindness and genuine hospitality make their pleasant home very attractive to the friends who have gathered around them since their residence here. They are active in every good work for promoting the material and moral interests of Paddock Township, and they contribute liberally to the support of the Baptist Church, of which they are members. In his views of the political questions of the day Mr. James finds himself in harmony with the Republican party.
LIVER NEWCOMER is a farmer residing on section 23, Glenwood Township, and is a son of Joel and Sarah (Adams) Newcomer, who are natives of Washington County, Md. They moved to Ogle County, Ill., in which place the mother died in the spring of 1857, and the father died about the year 1872. They had a family of five children, of whom four are living; their names are: Ann M., John Q., Oliver, Emurilla and Catherine. Ann M. was the wife of Milton McConley, and died in Ogle County, Ill.; John Q. died when he was quite young; Emmirilla is the wife of Joseph C. Moats, of Ogle County, Ill.; Catherine is a resident of Ogle County.
Our subject was born on the 20th of February, 1839, in Washington County, Md.. where he spent the first sixteen years of his life on a farm. At that age he went with his parents to Illinois and settled in Lincoln Township, Ogle County. He received his education from the common schools, and when he became old enough to devote himself to an occupation he chose that of agriculture, he remained in Ogle County until the spring of 1884, when he came to this county and settled on section 23, on which he owns 160 acres of land all under cultivation. He has made comfortable improvements, having erected good and convenient buildings and surrounded his fields with rows of fencing. He gives his attention to general farming and stock-raising, and makes a specialty of raising horses. In politics he is a Republican.
AMES F. COLGROVE is one of the substantial farmers who have been most active in developing the agricultural resources of Gage County, and his beautiful farm, with its broad, well-tilled acres and various valuable improvements, finely located in Paddock and Sicily Townships, indicates that he is a practical, wide-awake man, who has been decidedly successful in his chosen calling.
Mr. Colgrove is a son of Andrew and Almira (Baxter) Colgrove, natives of New York, and he was born in Steuben County, N. Y, July 31, 1853. When our subject was three years old his parents left their old home in New York to settle in Winchester, Ind. After living there about eight years they removed to Rochester, Ohio, and thence to Florida, Mo., in 1859. They subsequently lived in the State of Illinois for a period of twelve years, Then they came West again, and located in Marysville, Kan., where the father died on the anniversary of his birth, Jan. 27, 1881, when fifty-seven years old. He was in every way a worthy man,
488 GAGE COUNTY
an intelligent citizen, a trusty neighbor, and a tried friend. The respected mother of our subject came to make her home with him after his father's death, and is still a beloved member of his household.
He of whom we write received a fair education in the various States where his parents resided from time to time. He was the third of the nine children born to his parents, of whom six survive, two boys and four girls. His brother William lives in Marysville, Kan.; Mary, the eldest sister, is now Mrs. Randolph Robb, and lives in this county; she was previously married to Rola Hood, who died in 1865. Cintha married John Bell, and they both died in Southern Kansas; Emma is now Mrs. Thompson Richards, and lives in Smith County, Kan.; Ella is Mrs. John With, of this county. Three children died in infancy. Our subject came to Gage County from Marysville in 1878, and bought 160 acres of Government land, finely located on section 3, Paddock Township, and on section 35, Sicily Township, and in 1882 he purchased the farm where he now resides. This comprises 160 acres, eighty of which are on section 3, Paddock Township, and eighty on section 34, Sicily Township. The land is in a good state of cultivation, is well fenced, has ample and conveniently arranged farm buildings, a comfortable dwelling, substantial barn, etc. He pays attention chiefly to raising cattle and hogs, from which he makes good profits, and he feeds all the grain that he raises. Mr. Colgrove has acquired his property solely by his own exertions, and although he is still a young man he may be counted among the solid men of the township. When he went to Marysville he did not have a dollar, but notwithstanding the discouragements of drouths and grasshoppers in 1875, 1876 and 1877, he kept steadily at work, and by downright hard labor has accumulated a competency.
Mr. Colgrove was united in marriage, April 16, 1874, in Princeton, Ill., to Miss Mary, daughter of John W. and Elizabeth (Clark) With (of whom see sketch in another part of this ALBUM). The following is a record of the seven children born to this marriage: John W., born Sept. 6, 1875; Milla M., born Feb. 28, 1877, died Nov. 12, 1887; James A., born July 31, 1879; Charles H., Oct. 11, 1881; Edward F., March 25, 1884; Elizabeth A., born March 27, 1886, died Jan. 12, 1887; Elmer L, born Nov 16, 1887.
Mr. and Mrs. Colgrove are people of high repute whose sincerity and uprightness in the daily walk of life make them deservedly respected by all They are among the most active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and are never behind in any good work. Politically, Mr. Colgrove is true Republican, and never fails to cast his vote in the interests of his party.
AVID CHAMBERLIN is doing a thriving business as dealer in oil and gasoline and may during business hours be seen dealing out these fluids from his wagon on the streets of Wymore to his many customers. He also furnishes the dealers with what oil they sell in the city, thus making him a wholesale dealer as well. He was born in Macomb, Ill., on the 29th of October, 1859, and is a son of Isaac and Mary (Adair) Chamberlin, both of whom were natives of Adams County, Pa., the former born near Gettysburg, at the foot of the Alleghany Mountains, They were married in Macomb. in which place our subject was born, and spent the first twelve years of his life. His father died in 1881, and his mother in 1880. When our subject was twelve years old his parents moved on a farm about eight miles from his native town, where he lived for about seven years, and had an experience in common with young farmer boys in tilling the soil, sowing seed and gathering the harvests, and caring for the young and docile domestic animals.
In 1878 Mr. Chamberlin left the scenes of his early youth for those of the fertile and attractive West, and made his home in Blue Springs, this county, where he farmed with his brother one and one-half years, then engaging in the restaurant business until 1886, when he took charge of a boarding train on the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad, at the same time having a lunch counter at the Wymore depot one year of his residence in Blue Springs. In 1886 he removed to Wymore, where he continued in his former business until November of 1887, when he engaged in handling oil and gaso-
GAGE COUNTY 489
line, having now built up quite a large and lucrative trade, and conducting all his business in a perfectly honorable and straightforward way. He is but a young man, and the confidence with which he has inspired his customers, and the esteem in which he is held by them, give promise of a continuation of his success, and the building up of a reputation very gratifying to a young business man. He procures his goods in large quantities from Lincoln, selling at a fair price and on liberal terms.
On the 23d of June, 1887, our subject was united in marriage to Miss Alice L. Bacon, a daughter of William and Diana (Fairchild) Bacon, of Wymore, the former a native of Connecticut, and the latter of Ohio. Mrs. Chamberlin was born on the 29th of March, 1860, in McLean County, Ill., and remained with her parents until the time of her marriage. She received a good elementary education from the schools of her native town, and possesses the accomplishments and virtues of a true womanly heart and disposition, which fit her to make her home a most attractive one. Our subject affiliates with the Republican party in politics, and is a member in good standing of the A. F. & A. M.
ILLIAM S. WIKOFF. Among the representative men engaged in the stock interests of the city of Wymore might be mentioned the gentleman whose name appears at the head of this sketch, who was one of the early settlers on the Otoe Reservation and citizens of Wymore. The father of our subject, W. W. Wikoff, was born in New Jersey, in 1808. He was given a common school education, after which he went to farming. While yet quite a young man he bought a farm in Warren County, Ohio, and remained successfully operating the same until 1838-39, when he removed to Sangamon County, Ill., and bought a farm near Island Grove. This he improved and built upon and made his home until 1866. He then went to New Berlin and purchased a small place, and lived a quiet, retired life until February, 1880, when he died.
The father of our subject became the husband of Sarah C. Sinard, in Ohio. This union was cemented by the birth of eleven children, of whom seven lived to maturity, four of this number being sons. His wife was born in the same State in the year 1810. She was the daughter of William Sinard, and resided at home until her marriage. Throughout her life she manifested such traits of character and disposition as have made her a place in the hearts of her family and friends that can never be otherwise filled. They were devout members of the Christian Church, and most deeply interested in its obligations. Mr. Wikoff, Sr., filled the office of Road Commissioner, and was for many years School Trustee. His political sympathies were with the Democratic party, and he was continuously loyal to the same. Our subject was born in Warren County, Ohio, Feb. 13, 1832, was educated in the usual institution, and from that went onto the farm, continuing to operate the same until he attained his majority. After this he farmed for two years upon his own account, and then went into business at New Berlin with a full stock of merchandise, clothing and groceries. Then followed eight years of increasing prosperity and good success. In 1862 our subject sold his business and took a trip west through quite a number of States. He crossed the plains with a team from Illinois to Council Bluffs, Omaha, Ft. Laramie, crossed the Snake River above Ft. Hall, via Ft. Badger, prospecting throughout the mountains for gold, struck a mountain corral, and had to turn back, finally struck upon an old trail and followed it to Deer Lodge Valley, then going through to Sari Francisco, via Portland, Ore. Leaving San Francisco our subject proceeded to New York via the Isthmus of Panama, after an absence of a little over twelve months, in which time he had received only two letters from home.
The three years following the return of our subject from San Francisco were spent upon a farm which he purchased near New Berlin. At the close of that period he sold his property in order to go to Southern Kansas, and there bought 160 acres of excellent farming land, situated about four miles west of Humboldt. This was in the year 1867, and he continued for three years occupied in the various improvements of his farm, but was sick the greater part of the time, and therefore sold out and went to Hamburg, Fremont Co., Iowa, and for
490 GAGE COUNTY
eight years was engaged in shipping stock, and became the heaviest shipper at that point. In 1878, at the close of that period, Mr. Wikoff removed to his present home upon the Otoe Reservation, his property being situated on section 36 of Sicily Township. This includes 160 acres of splendid bottom land, upon which he has made many extensive improvements, including a house of considerable pretensions to beauty of adornment and comfort of arrangement, the usual farm buildings and stock houses in the same proportion, and forest and fruit trees of many varieties, he is still engaged in shipping stock, and rents the farm to one of his sons; another of his sons has been handling stock with his father for about five years, and they are the principal buyers of Wymore, the larger portion of their stock going to Kansas City.
Upon the 18th of September, 1853, our subject was united in marriage with Miss Mary E. Allen, of Berlin, Ill, There have been eleven children horn to them, and of these nine are still living, whose names are here appended: Laura F., Wesley W., James A., William W., Lee Cars, Horace D., Mary C., Minnie and Ella Belle. Mrs. Wikoff was born near Jacksonville, Ill., Sept. 14, 1835. She is the daughter of James Allen, a farmer of Sangamon County, Ill., and quite prominent among his fellow citizens. He was the husband of Rosaline Corington, and became the parent of three children. Mr. Allen died in 1864, his wife surviving until the 19th of May, 1888. Of the children of our subject the eldest daughter became the wife of Drew Ryan, a farmer of Comanche County, Kan., and has seven children; Wesley married Mary E. Mewhirter, of Cass County, Iowa, where he operates a good farm; James A. and Lee C. are unmarried and live at home; William is on a homestead in Hitchcock County; Horace married Alice Fink, and lives at Beatrice, Kan.; the remaining children are still at home. Our subject and wife are both members of the Christian Church, and among the most devout and consistent in that communion, he is a man who has brought his religion into continued practice, and has learned that it is well before engaging in any great undertaking to seek for guidance, and his trust being in God, he has advanced, fearing no danger, and this doubtless is largely the cause of his progress in life. In the fraternity of the A. F. & A. M. our subject is an honored and trusted frater and member, he has been School Director for two terms, and at present occupies the office of Supervisor, and in these and every other relation has so carried himself as to receive the highest esteem and confidence of his fellow-citizens, in which also every member of his family shares.
ILLIAM R. JONES has been a resident of this county since the year 1857, and consequently deserves the honor due to an early pioneer, and to an ever loyal and enterprising citizen. He was born in Lawrence County, Ohio, on the 9th of September, 1846, and is a son of Samuel and Rebecca (Pethoud) Jones, natives of Grayson County, Va., and Ohio, respectively. They were married in the last-named State, and at different times made their homes in Lawrence, Galha and Scioto Counties until 1855, when they came West, and established a new home in Platte County, Mo. After six months' residence in that State they moved to Jefferson County, Kan., whence in 1857 they came to Nebraska, and settled on Indian Creek, four miles north of Beatrice, on section 10, Midland Township, though at that time the flourishing little city was barely in existence, the organization of Gage County with Beatrice for its county seat occurring that same year.
The father of our subject, three years after his arrival in this place, went up the Little Blue River and kept a ranch on the overland stage route, in Nuckolls County. He remained there nearly one year, and then returned to his farm in this county, after which, in 1868, he went to Lincoln and kept a livery stable for a short time, but again returned to his farm. He died in 1872, and his bereaved wife now makes her home in Beatrice. Our subject is the eldest of a large family of children, and had reached the age of eleven years when his parents came to this county; having since made his home here, he has witnessed the vast changes which have taken place in the last quarter of a century.
© 2004 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller