496 GAGE COUNTY
family, in whom the parents entertain a pardonable pride.
Mr. Callan upon becoming a voter cast his first Presidential ballot for Seymour in 1867. Since that time he has been a uniform supporter of Democratic principles. He has held various local offices, among them that of Road Overseer, and School Director in Glenwood Township. Mrs. Callan is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
UGUST WOLF, a citizen of Paddock Township, post-office address Wymore, well represents the class of enterprising and capable young men who within the past few years have come to the front to aid the older farmers in developing the wonderful agricultural resources of Nebraska. Mr. Wolf is a general farmer, raising both grain and stock, and he has already made a success of his agricultural ventures, as is shown by the fine condition of the farm that he owns on section 4, with its comfortable dwelling and many other good improvements.
Our subject was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, Jan. 18, 1857, a son of Adolph and Wilhelmina (Beerhenke) Wolf. When August was three years old his parents took him to Freeport, Ill., and there he was reared to manhood, receiving meanwhile an excellent education in the public schools, he accompanied his parents to Nebraska in 1879, and has since been a resident here, he is an energetic and spirited young man, and desirous of becoming the owner of a farm on this rich and productive soil, he set to work with a will to earn the necessary money with which to buy it. In a few years he had labored to such purpose that he was enabled to purchase the eighty acres on section 4, Paddock Township, comprising his present well-cultivated farm. He immediately commenced its cultivation, and he has since erected a good and comfortable dwelling, and made many other substantial improvements, thus greatly increasing its original value.
Our subject has not been unaided in his arduous toils, for early in 1883 he returned to his old home in Illinois to claim as his bride Miss Wilhelmina Kracht, to whom he was united in marriage on the 8th of March, and to her he is greatly indebted for cheerful counsel and ever ready assistance in building up their cozy home; she was born in Germany. Her parents, Frederic and Fredricka Kracht, still reside in Freeport, Ill., where they are attendants of the Evangelical branch of the Lutheran Church, of which they are devoted members. Two weeks after his marriage Mr. Wolf returned with his young wife to this place, and that year he bought and located on his farm. In their pleasant home three sons have been born to them, who complete the household circle, of whom the following is the record: Albert H. was born Jan. 22, 1884; Frederic A. June 24, 1885, and Edward A., Nov. 15, 1886.
Mr. and Mrs. Wolf are members in good standing of the German Reformed Church, and they are highly esteemed in this community as kind and trusty neighbors, friends to be relied upon in an emergency. Mr. Wolf, while doing all that he can to promote the best interests of this township, does not aspire to office; politically, he strongly favors the policy of the Republican party.
AMIJEL RINAKER, junior member of the law firm of Griggs & Rinaker, at Beatrice, was born in the city of Carbinville, Ill., Sept. 14, 1860, and is therefore still a young man. His father, Gen. John I. Rinaker, Chairman of the Illinois Railroad and Warehouse Commission, is a prominent attorney of Macoupin County, Ill., and was born in the city of Baltimore, Md. He emigrated to Illinois early in life and married Miss Clarissa Keplinger, who was born in Morgan County, Ill. The parents are still living. Samuel was the second of their family of four sons, all of whom are still living.
Our subject pursued his early studies in the public schools of his native city, and upon approaching manhood became a student of Blackburn University at Carlinville, from which he was graduated in time class of '80, receiving the title of B. A. He entered upon the study of law under the instruction of his father and an elder brother, in their office at Carlinville, and after becoming duly prepared was
GAGE COUNTY 497
admitted to the law department of Yale College, New Haven, Conn., where he pursued his studies in 1882 and 1883. After examination in Chicago by the Appellate Court, he was admitted to practice in the fall of 1883 by the Supreme Court of the State of Illinois. and in January, 1884, coming to Nebraska, he chose the city of Beatrice as his future scene of operations. Soon afterward he formed a partnership with Hon. N. K. Griggs, and the firm is now in the enjoyment of an extensive and lucrative practice in all the courts of Southern Nebraska.
In 1886 Mr. Rinaker entered into a still closer partnership with one of the most estimable young ladies of the city of Carlinville, Miss Carrie Mayo, who was born and reared there. Her parents, Samuel T. and Elizabeth (Palmer) Mayo, were natives, the former of Virginia, the latter of Kentucky, and both are now living at Carlinville. Their family included eight children, four of whom are living.
To Mr. and Mrs. Rinaker there has been born one child, a son, Samuel M., Sept. 25, 1887. They own and occupy a neat and substantial residence in Fairview Addition in the eastern part of the city, and enjoy the society and friendship of its best people. Mr. Rinaker is a general favorite in social and business circles, and belongs to the K. of P. Politically, he is a Republican.
1ND NELSON. In the present sketch it is our pleasure to offer a succinct compendium of the more prominent features in the life of the well-known and popular Supervisor of Glenwood Township, a man of remarkable versatility, business energy and enterprise, possessing in a large measure the magnetism which attracts and holds many friends. He was born in Sweden on the 12th of July, 1849, and is a son of Mons Nelson, a native of the above country (see sketch).
Our subject lived in his native country until in the spring of 1868, when he emigrated to America. The nineteen years of his life had been spent in acquiring in the schools of his native place the more indispensable foundation subjects of an education, supplemented later by such instruction and work as would make him a first-class farmer. Upon his arrival in America our subject went almost at once to Chicago, and after some time spent in that city proceeded to Champaign County of the same State, where he was employed for about six months, and then went to Paxton, Ford Co., Ill., which was his home for about a year. The two years following he spent in Springfield of the same State, and at the close of that period he came to Nebraska in the year 1872, and continued to make his home in Nemaha County for six years, and then came to Gage County and settled in Glenwood Township, and has continued his residence here ever since.
The farm of our subject is some 240 acres in extent and well situated; the soil is admirably adapted to farming purposes, and owing to the good work bestowed, and attention given to it, is one of the most productive and well-cultivated in the township. In addition to the improvement in the state of the ground itself, our subject has added others in the shape of a complete and well-built set of farm buildings and a pleasant, comfortable dwelling, also the various shade and fruit-bearing trees that go so far in this section of country to make the summer pleasant.
At Tecumseh, Johnson County, of this State, Mr. Nelson became the husband of Anna Miller upon the 6th of March, 1875. This lady was born in Bedford County, Pa., on the 13th of August, 1850, and is the daughter of Simon and Elizabeth (Foster) Miller. Mr. and Mrs. Nelson are the parents of six children, whose names are recorded as follows: Bessie, Offie C., Linus E., John W., Austin H. and George W.
In beginning life our subject began with practically nothing, and whatever has been attained is the result of his earnest, manly efforts, which have, however, been supplemented by the faithful affection, counsel, sympathy and aid of his devoted wife. In the fall of 1887 the people of the township, recognizing the worth of our subject, elected him Supervisor, and are gratified to notice the efficiency with which he fills the position.
In addition to the work of the farm our subject has an extensive business as buyer and shipper of cattle and hogs. Socially, he is connected with the A. O. U. W., the I. O. O. F. and the Masonic fraternity, and in each is always welcomed as a true
498 GAGE COUNTY
and faithful brother. He takes a deep interest in political matters, and votes for and works with the Republican party. He is a friend to every project and enterprise of a practical nature that looks to the upbuilding and advancement of the county and community, and in every such matter is among the most energetic workers.
ILLIAM A. WAGNER, City Clerk of Beatrice, became a resident of Nebraska in July, 1867, settling with his parents on a farm in Midland Township, this county. He remained with them until 1868, in the meantime occupied in teaching, he took up his residence in Beatrice in April of 1868, entering the store of Blakely, Reynolds & Co., as clerk, and remained with them one year. At the expiration of that time he went into the law office of J. B. Weston, with whom, however, he remained but a short time. He was Deputy until 1876, a part of the time in the office of the County Treasurer and the balance of the time in the office of the County Clerk.
Upon leaving the Clerk's office our subject entered into partnership with L. T. Griggs, and engaged in the sale of farm implements until 1881, when he disposed of his interest in the business to his partner. He then opened a coal and wood yard and also dealt in baled hay until 1887, then sold out, having been elected for the second term to his present office.
Mr. Wagner was born at St. John, New Brunswick, Jan. 6,1845, and is the eldest son of a family of eleven children, the offspring of John W. and Ellen (Lane) Wagner, natives of the same Province. They came to Wisconsin in 1858, and to Nebraska in 1867, and both are still living, making their home on a farm two miles north of Beatrice. Of their large family of children eight are still living, six in Nebraska, one in Dakota and one in Missouri.
The subject of this sketch was a lad of thirteen years upon the removal of the family to Kenosha County, Wis., and lived with his parents on the farm there until reaching manhood. He was given a practical education in the common schools, completing his studies at Racine, and commenced his duties as instructor in Howard's Commercial College at Racine. He accompanied his parents to this county, settling with them on a farm in what is now Midland Township, and his subsequent course we have already indicated.
The marriage of our subject and Miss Mary L. Blodgett, of Somonauk, Ill., took place Oct. 27, 1870. Mrs. Wagner was born in 1844, in Ohio, and is the daughter of John E. and Nancy (Gillette) Blodgett, who were natives of New York, and are now deceased. Mr. Wagner was the first elected City Clerk of Beatrice under the new organization, which went into effect in October, 1871. He was re-elected the following year, holding the office until 1873, and in 1877 was again selected to fill the position, serving this term also acceptably. In 1885 he was again brought before the people for the office of City Clerk, and has since held it without opposition, running the last year far ahead of his ticket.
Mr. Wagner, in May, 1886, was appointed Water Commissioner, and still holds this office. Politically, he is conservative in his views, aiming to support the men whom he considers best qualified to serve the people. Socially, he is a member in good standing of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to Beatrice Lodge No. 26, and Chapter No. 10.
AMUEL N. TOBYNE is engaged in farming on his land on section 10, Blue Springs Township, in which vicinity he has made his home for about twenty years. He was born in Ogle County, Ill., on the 2d of October, 1859, and is a son of James N. Tobyne, a native of Canada, who came to Illinois when he was a young man, and thence brought his family to this county in April, 1868. He made his home on section 10, near the present home of our subject, and in the early day of his arrival there were but few settlers here, though Indians and wild animals were quite plentiful. Our subject has always lived on a farm, his father having been engaged in agricultural pursuits, and thus he has a thorough understanding of the vocation which is so essential to the country.
In his younger days our subject experienced in
GAGE COUNTY 499
common with the sons of other early settlers all the hardships and privations of pioneer life, being taught to work at an early age, that he might assist in the improvement of the family circumstances, and receiving but a limited education because of the absence of educational advantages. He has also, in common with the inhabitants of this section who have grown to manhood here, witnessed the vast changes that have been made in the past two decades, in religious and educational advantages, in the breaking and cultivating of wild prairie land, which has been transformed into smiling fields bearing abundant harvests, and in the organization and building of various towns and cities which have sprung up in an incredibly short time.
On the 29th of April, 1882, our subject was united in marriage with Miss Adelia S. Knapp, a daughter of Albert H. Knapp, of Thayer County, six miles from North Alexandria. She was born in Wyoming County, Pa., on the 27th of February, 1866, her father also being a native of the same State, whence he had moved to this State in the year 1880. By their marriage our subject and his wife are the parents of three children, named Wilson E., Roe A. and an infant daughter. Mr. Tobyne has been prominently identified with the educational affairs of his township, having served as School Treasurer for a period of four years, and being now the worthy incumbent of that office. He never seeks official honors, but his ability has been recognized and appreciated by the people of his community, who have conferred upon him unsought the public honors, he possesses the full confidence and esteem of his fellowmen, and is very popular in the township.
James N. Tobyne, the father of our subject, was born near Toronto, Canada, on the 21st of April, 1820, in which place he lived until he was twenty-one years old. In 1841 he left his native country for Winnebago County, Ill., whence after ten years' residence he moved to Ogle County. There he remained engaged in farming until 1868, when he came to this county with his family, and made his home on section 10, Blue Spring Township, near the home of his son Samuel. He married Mrs. Caroline Zeitz, who was a native of Germany, and had come to the United States when she was six years old. By her former marriage, with Mr. Strokey, she was the mother of three children, two of whom, named Frederick A. and George R. Strokey, are now living. Mr. and Mrs. Tobyne were the parents of seven children, five of whom are now living, and make their homes in the following places: Henrietta, in Gage County; Samuel N. and Seth E., in Blue Springs Township; Permelia C. and Ida A., in Gage County. One son, the oldest of the family, died at the age of seventeen years, and the other, William H.. died when a child. The parents of this family of children were well known as early pioneers of this county, and as such, and as an honorable man and woman, they possessed the esteem and friendship of the people of the community. The death of the father occurred on the 6th of April, 1882, at the age of sixty-two years, and that of the mother occurred in December, 1881, at the age of sixty-two years, the death of both being greatly regretted by their many friends and acquaintances.
Seth E. Tobyne, a son of James N. and a brother of Samuel N., above mentioned, makes his home on section 10, Blue Springs Township, where he has lived for many years. He was born in Ogle County. Ill., on the 27th of January, 1862, and with his father and the remainder of the family he came to this county in the spring of 1868. He has grown to manhood and has constantly been surrounded with the scenes adjacent to his present home, though there have been vast changes since his arrival when a young boy. He has always lived on a farm, and when he was a boy he herded cattle on an extensive range, the business at that time being largely engaged in and very lucrative. To describe the scenes and events of his life is but to repeat the description given in the sketch devoted to his brother, for in common they shared the trials and hardships of the pioneer life. On the 25th of February, 1883, he was united in marriage with Miss Ettie Early, a daughter of Marshall Early, who was born in Mercer County, Ohio, on the 28th of March, 1861. Her parents were from Ohio, and she made her home with them until the time of her marriage, receiving her education in the common schools of her native county, and perfecting herself in the graces and accomplishments of a true womanly sphere. By their marriage they are the parents of
500 GAGE COUNTY
four children, bearing the names Rolla, Ethel, Della and an infant daughter, Jessie.
Mr. Tobyne is the owner of 120 acres of good and well-improved farming land in Blue Springs Township, and 160 acres in the State of Colorado. On his home farm he has made many valuable improvements, having a good house, barn and other farm buildings, which are well kept and in good condition. By giving close attention to his occupation he has brought his land to a very fine state of cultivation, which makes it the source of a lucrative income to him. He affiliates with the Republican party, but does not take an active part in politics, and both he and his wife are well-known and highly respected members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, sustaining the reputation which they bear of being honest, industrious and intelligent citizens.
RANKLIN WALKER is a farmer, stock-raiser and banker, residing on section 25, Elm Township. He is a son of George P. and Polly (Countryman) Walker, his father having been born in Somerset County, Pa., where he died in the year 1876, at the age of seventy-nine years. The mother was also a native of the same county, and is still living. They were the parents of nine children, our subject being the fifth child, and his birth occurring on the 9th of November, 1828, in Somerset County. At that time the schools were conducted by subscription, or paying members, and it was in a school of this kind that our subject received his education. At the age of eighteen years he was apprenticed to learn the carpenter trade, and having learned the business he followed it until the year 1865.
On the 9th of November, 1851, our subject was married, in Ohio, to Miss Anna M. La Boiteaux. Her father was Samuel La Boiteaux, who was born at Mt. Pleasant, Hamilton Co., Ohio, where he followed the trade of a cooper, and where he died in 1887, at the age of eighty-one years. Her mother was Maria Louisa (Wright) La Boiteaux, who was born at Batavia, Ohio, on the 8th of February, 1811. They were the parents of nine children, Mrs. Walker being the third child.
To our subject and his wife have been given a family of five children, whose names we mention: Mary Louisa, Eliza Jane, George W., Lillian M. and Ella L. Mary L. was married to Aubert Z. Dennis, and is now living at Walker, Iowa; they have two children, Luella M .and Jay L. Eliza Jane was married to Edgar Bigsby, and is now living at Kirksville, Mo. ; they have four children--Emma L. (deceased), Frank L., Aura and Glen. George W. was united in marriage to Miss Rachel Bevins, and is living in Sicily Township, where he is engaged in farming; they have two children--Grace M. and Mary G. Lillian May was married to Dexter S. Lilly, residing at Gladstone, Kan., and has three children--Walter E., Lina P. and Golda I.; Ella is married to J. P. Squire, residing in Red Willow County, Neb., and has two children--Guy and Roy.
Besides carrying on the farm which he owns, our subject has an interest in the First Commercial Bank at Odell, of which he is the Vice President and one of the Directors. The bank was organized in 1884, and re-organized in Match, 1888. He was elected Treasurer of Elm Township in 1886, which office he still holds, and is also the Collector for the township. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., having his membership in the Woodbine Lodge No. 126, at Mt. Healthy, Hamilton Co., Ohio. He is a prominent and active business man, and takes a great interest in the advancement of his community, and the fostering of those institutions by which the social, educational and business interests can be improved. He is a member of the Democratic organization, and firmly believes that the prosperity of the country can be secured under its control and government.
ESSE COZINE. Among the honorable citizens of Paddock Township, Gage County, no one more worthily represents its farming interests than the gentleman whose name stands at the head of this sketch, he is a native of Indiana, born in Dearborn County, Dec. 11, 1822. When he was but six years old he had the
GAGE COUNTY 501
misfortune to lose his father, John Cozine, an honorable, intelligent and upright man. The mother of our subject, whose maiden name was Abigail Bruce, after the death of her first husband became the wife of Edmund Chisman. After his father's death our subject was reared in the home of his grandmother, Tabitha Bruce, with whom he lived until he grew to manhood. He was an active, enterprising young man, and at an early age was enabled to establish a comfortable home of his own, and June 30, 1845, was married to Miss Martha Clarke. She was to him indeed a helpmate in the truest sense of the word, and to her cheerful assistance and kind counsel he was much indebted for his success in life.
Mrs. Cozine was a devoted and valued member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and her earnestness and sterling worth secured her many warm friends, and her death April 23, 1876, at the age of forty-seven years, was felt to be a personal loss by many besides the bereaved family. To her and her husband were born eleven children, five of whom survive, and the following is their record: Samuel, born June 13, 1846; Nancy Q., born May 21, 1848, died Nov. 10, 1864; Abigail, born Oct. 19, 1850; William R., born March 29, 1853, died Nov. 17, 1879; John A., born July 27, 1856; Jacob C., born Feb. 28, 1858, died March 11, 1861; Chancy C., born May 11,1861; Robert D., May 10, 1863; Elizabeth R.. born June 23, 1865, died Oct. 4, 1879; Henry A. Newton, born March 7, 1867, died Sept. 17, 1879; Mary M., born April 17, 1869. Samuel Cozine married Emma McVicker, and they live at Iowa Falls; John married Eliza Smith, and they live in Barber County, Karl.; Robert married Elfa Bunnell, and they live in Washington County, Kan.; Abigail married Francis Parrott, and they live near Iowa City.
The paternal grandparents of our subject were Martin Cozine and Elizabeth Smith, of Indiana and Ohio respectively, the grandfather of Scotch ancestry and the grandmother of English. Mr. Cozine lost his life by the blowing up of a steamer on the Mississippi River between New Orleans and St. Louis. The grandmother died in Dearborn County, Ill.
In 1850 our subject removed with his family to Iowa, and they staid there until 1879, when they came to Nebraska. Mr. Cozine purchased 160 acres of unbroken prairie land on section 24, Paddock Township, from the Government, paying $3.50 an acre therefor. By persistent energy and well-directed toil he has reclaimed this wild bit of prairie, and improved it into one of the finest farms in this vicinity, its present value being $25 an acre, and he has it all under good cultivation and well fenced. He has erected a substantial, commodious dwelling, stable, and other necessary farm buildings.
Mr. Cozine is a man whose integrity is above reproach; his neighbors find in him a true and obliging friend. and to his family, of whom he has reason to be proud, he is the kindest and most indulgent of fathers. In his political views our subject is a strong adherent of the Republican patty, and he has reared his sons to be stalwart Republicans.
EORGE E. EMERY, County Clerk of Gage County, has been a resident of this State since 1862, having moved to Nebraska from Kansas with his parents when only three years old. He was born in the city of Lawrence, Kan., March 17, 1859, and is the elder of two children of Charles N. and Mary M. (Benson) Emery, the former a native of Maine, and the latter born in the city of Limerick, Ireland.
The mother of our subject crossed the Atlantic with two brothers early in life, and after living for some time in Brooklyn and Chicago, moved to Lawrence, Kan., where she met Mr. Emery, whom she married May 4, 1858. In 1864 the parents of our subject moved to Liberty Farm, in this State, where, on August 9, they were burned out by the Indians. The family then moved to Kearney, Neb., residing there a year or more, and in July, 1867, moved to Beatrice, where they have since lived.
The subject of this sketch was a little lad eight years of age when his parents took up their abode in Beatrice, and he obtained his early education in the imperfect public schools of the rising young town. About 1867 the family repaired to Shawnee County, Kan., settling in its capital city, Topeka. George E. there completed his education.
© 2004 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller