534 GAGE COUNTY
and was the second of nine children, seven sons and two daughters, the offspring of Jeremiah and Susannah (Cross) Carpenter, the former born and reared in Lancaster County, Pa., and the latter a native of Boonesboro, Md. Of their children eight are still living. The maternal grandfather, Robert Cross, was a marble cutter by trade, and carried on a prosperous business. He spent his last days in Maryland. The parents of our subject emigrated to Illinois, and from there in 1884 to Nebraska, settling in this county, where they still live.
Jonathan Carpenter of this sketch was reared to manhood on the farm of his father, and attended the common school during his boyhood. He was still a resident of his native State upon the outbreak of the late war, and enlisted in Company B, 1st Maryland Cavalry, which was sent first to Webster, Va., and then down the Shenandoah Valley to Lynchburg, participating in the meantime in the battles of that campaign. Mr. Carpenter was with Sheridan in the memorable battle of Winchester, witnessing the defeat of Gilroy after the week's fighting, and later assisted in the battle of Gettysburg. At Mt. Jackson the Union boys captured 380 head of cattle, twelve wagons, and a quantity of car wheels from which to manufacture shells. At one time Mr. Carpenter was thrown from a horse upon a pile of railroad iron, near Flagg's Mills, Va., sustaining serious injuries, having four ribs broken, and his foot and head also badly hurt. Later a shell bursting near his head completed the sum of his afflictions, and for a time destroyed his hearing. This, however, he recovered from, but such was the shock to his system that he was glad to receive his honorable discharge, which was given him in September, 1864.
Mr. Carpenter now returned to his native county, and from there went to Lancaster County. Pa. He subsequently returned to Hagerstown, Md., and engaged in teaming in the employ of the Government about four months. His next location was Chambersburg, where he served an apprenticeship to the trades of stonemason and bricklayer, and where he spent two years. In the meantime, Jan. 5, 1866, he as united in marriage with Miss Maria Baughman. This lady was born in Franklin County, Pa., Jan. 14, 1846, and is the daughter of Jacob and Eliza Baughman, who were natives of Greencastle, Franklin Co., Pa.
After marriage Mr. and Mrs. Carpenter settled in Greencastle, Pa., where our subject engaged in farming, and where they lived until October of 1870. They then moved to Ogle County, Ill., settling on a farm, where they labored for a period of nine years. Mr. Carpenter, then desirous of seeking his fortune on the other side of the Mississippi, came to this county, and purchased 160 acres of land in Highland Township, about sixteen miles north of the city of Beatrice. Here he erected good buildings and brought about the improvements necessary to his comfort and convenience, and in 1880, feeling that he was entitled to retire, sold his farm and took up his residence in the city. He is a quiet, unobtrusive man, a peaceable and law-abiding citizen, rejoicing in the prosperity of his adopted State, and interested in the enterprises which will cause her to continue in her onward course. Mr. and Mrs. Carpenter had born to them three children, viz: Henry L., a resident of Beatrice; Elizabeth and Jeremiah, the two latter deceased.
LLET G. DRAKE, of Beatrice, owns a good property and has been largely instrumental in the advancement of the various interests tending to the growth and prosperity of the city. Upon coming here he purchased the drug stock of Dr. R. S. Albright, and continued the business at the old stand until June, 1888. He then sold, and since that time has found ample employment in looking after his property interests.
Our subject was born near the then modest town of Bradford, in McKean County, Pa., March 29, 1863, and was there reared to manhood. His parents, Joshua J. and Elizabeth (Hayter) Drake, were also natives of the Keystone State, and the father a farmer by occupation. He spent his entire life upon his native soil, and departed hence in the year 1875. The mother died in 1880. The parental family included only our subject.
The boyhood and youth of Mr. Drake were spent in a manner similar to that of most farmers' sons, his services being utilized about the homestead
GAGE COUNTY 535
during the seasons of sowing and reaping, while in winter he pursued his studies in the district school. When further advanced he became a student of Chamberlain Institute at Chamberlain, N. Y., and subsequently attended a commercial course in Eastman's Business College at Poughkeepsie, N. Y. Upon leaving college, his father having died, he was engaged in the settling up of the estate.
Mr. Drake entered upon his business career in the oil regions of Pennsylvania, where he operated to good advantage until May of 1886. Resolved now upon a change of residence and occupation, he sold out, and coming to this State, located in Beatrice, of which he has since been a resident. In the meantime he has invested large sums of money in western lands in Nebraska and Kansas, besides considerable city property in Beatrice. He has a fine residence on the corner of Lincoln and Sixth streets. His family consists of his wife and one child only, the latter a son, Ellet B., who was born Aug. 20, 1886.
The marriage of our subject with Miss Nellie Bradley, of Friendship, N. Y., was celebrated at the home of the bride, June 11, 1884. Mrs. Drake is a native of the Empire State, having been born in Allegany County, in 1862. Her parents, Solomon J. and Elizabeth Bradley, were natives of England. Her father is deceased; her mother is living in Beatrice. Mr. Drake identified himself with the Masonic fraternity, and is a member of Beatrice Lodge No. 26, of Livingston Chapter, and Mt. Hermon Lodge No. 7. In politics he is a stanch Republican.
LVAH H. BRUBAKER. The firm of Brubaker & Remaly, merchants and bankers, occupies a leading position among the business interests of Lanham, where these gentlemen have been established together since March, 1888. The subject of our sketch bears the reputation of an energetic, reliable business man, one who is ambitious for the prosperity of his adopted town, and whose efforts to increase its prestige and standing have earned for him well-merited praise.
Mr. Brubaker is a native of Howard County, Ind., his birth taking place at the homestead of his parents, on the 16th of October, 1846. He is consequently in the prime of life, with a prospect of many years of usefulness and prosperity. He was reared as a farmer's boy, and acquired those habits of thrift and industry which have been the secret of his success in most of his undertakings. When about eight years of age his parents removed from Howard to Cass County, Ind., where Alvah sojourned until a youth of nineteen. Thence he changed his residence to Bourbon, and a year later we find him in Warren County, Ill., where he engaged as a carpenter and joiner, and where he operated for a period of six years. From Warren he next proceeded to Lee County in the same State, and securing a tract of land in the vicinity of Dixon, carried on farming until the spring of 1886.
The attention of Mr. Brubaker now being turned toward the young and rapidly growing State of Nebraska, he crossed the Father of Waters, and coming to this county, located in Lanham, which has since been the scene of his operations. He first embarked in general merchandising in partnership with Mr. H. M. Smethers, but three months later purchased the interest of his partner, and carried on the business alone until the spring of 1888, when he associated himself with Mr. Remaly. They carry a full stock of everything pertaining to their line of trade, and in their banking operations enjoy the patronage of the leading business men of this part of the county. The Lanham Exchange Bank is superseded by no institution of its age in the whole county.
Our subject occupies, with an interesting family, a handsome and well-appointed home in the northern part of the town. He was married in Lee County, Ill., Dec. 24, 1871, to Miss Anna M. Hill, a daughter of Nathan Hill. Mrs. Brubaker was born in Luzerne County, Pa., Feb. 28, 1850, and was reared to womanhood under the parental roof. Her mother was Miss Billhimer, and is now living in Lee County, Ill.
To our subject and his estimable lady there have been born eight children, two of whom are deceased, namely: Blanche, who died when two years old, and a babe who died unnamed. Those living are Nathan A., Lulu E., John L., Harlow E., Em-
536 GAGE COUNTY
met and Imogene. Mr. Brubaker, although having little time to devote to political matters, keeps himself posted in regard to matters of general interest, and uniformly supports Republican principles. He is a man whose opinions, deliberately formed, are held in general respect.
OHN W. WITH, one of the pioneer settlers of Paddock Township, with whose agricultural interests he is prominently identified, owning and occupying a farm on section 11, is honored and esteemed by all in the community as a thoroughly upright citizen, and as a man whose moral character and private life are irreproachable. He was born in Maryland, Caroline County, Jan. 29, 1827, his parents being George and Mary With, he was reared in his native State to a strong and noble manhood, and when about twenty-four years of age he went to Delaware, and in that State the succeeding eighteen years of his life were passed. There he secured a good and capable wife, who has actively assisted him in acquiring his property. She was a Miss Sarah E. Clark, of that State, and to her he was united in marriage June 3, 1852. Of this union six children have been born, as follows: William D., who married Miss Carrie Kear; Mary A., who married James Colgrove, whose biography appears in this volume; John H., who married Ella Colgrove, a sister of James; Martha J., who married George T. Mitchell; Charles F. and Charles H., who died in Delaware in 1865, at the age of three years.
In 1859 Mr. With removed with his family to Bureau County, Ill., but after living there a few years he returned to Delaware in 1863. In 1872 he again took up his residence in Illinois, whence he removed in the year 1876 to Cass County, Iowa. In 1880 he sought with his family a new home in Gage County, Neb., having decided to avail himself of the marvelous agricultural resources of this county. Paddock Township was not organized until the fall of the year in which he took up his residence in it, and the farm of eighty acres on section 11, on which he then located, was in a complete state of nature, forming a part of the unbroken prairie. With persistent and well-directed industry he has since toiled to get it under cultivation, and to make the numerous improvements that have so increased its value and added to the neatness and thrift of the place, the abundant harvests that result from his labors showing him to be a sagacious, practical man, employing none but the best methods in conducting his agricultural pursuits.
Mr. With is one of the most whole-souled and kind-hearted men in existence, and his frank, genial qualities, combined with true courtesy and tact, have gained him hosts of warm friends wherever he has lived. His home is in the center of that true hospitality wherein host and hostess vie with each other in entertaining and making comfortable the stranger who may happen within their gates. Mrs. With is a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and shares with her husband the respect in which he is held. Mr. With is a solid Republican in his political opinions, and uses his influence to promote the interests of his party.
OL. JAMES H. ODEN, formerly an officer of the Union Army, and late prominent among the farmers and stock-raisers of this county, retired in March of 1888 to his home in the city of Beatrice, where he is now numbered among its most highly esteemed citizens. He has for many years been identified with the most important interests of Southern Nebraska, and is a man whose worth and efficiency in the community are most properly appreciated by the people of this region.
The subject of this sketch was born in Nicholas County, Ky., Feb. 15, 1831, and is the son of William C. and Elizabeth (Darrel) Oden, the father a native of the southern part of Kentucky, and the mother of Tennessee. The parental family included nine children. James, the eldest of the family, was reared on the "old plantation," and attended school in Carlisle, making good use of his time, so that he eventually developed into a country school teacher, and was thus employed three terms. He, however, preferred farming as actual business,
GAGE COUNTY 537
and followed this mostly thereafter until the outbreak of the war, he then considered it his duty to lay aside his personal plans and interests, and enlisted in Company I, 7th Kentucky Cavalry, with which he did valiant service under the command of Gen. Nelson.
Young Oden participated with his comrades in many of the important battles of the war, being present at the seige and capture of Richmond, the battle of Big Hill, and shared in the fight at Donelson. On account of cold and exposure he suffered greatly in health, and was seized with rheumatism. He was taken to the hospital at Cynthiana, Ky., where he was confined until the fall of 1863, and then returned to his home. His father being County Clerk of Nicholas County, James received the appointment of Deputy, but on account of the Union sentiments of the elder Oden, he was ordered to leave the country. The family then fled to Monroe County, Ill., settling near Salem, where the father engaged in farming, which he followed in that section for a period of four years.
James H. Oden determined upon another change of residence, and removed to Knox County, Ill., and from there to Warren County in the same State, where he remained for a period of ten years, still continuing engaged in agricultural pursuits. In the spring of 1878 he crossed the Mississippi into this State, and settled on a farm four miles north of the city of Beatrice, in Logan Township. There he secured 160 acres of land, upon which he operated until in March, 1888, when he abandoned active labor and took up his abode in the city. He has always been a lover of fine horses, and is now considerably interested in stock, owning a very fast pacer which has made a good record among the roadsters of this county. He put up a neat and commodious residence in 1887, and is surrounded by all the comforts and many of the luxuries of life.
Our subject, under the tutelage of his honored father, became thoroughly imbued with Union principles, and after the outbreak of the Rebellion enlisted as a private. He was promoted to the rank of Major, and given charge of a wagon and ambulance department. Later he was permitted to return home and raise a company, of which he was made Captain, and which was constituted a home guard. He thus stood in readiness for action if called upon, but happily the emergency did not arise.
Upon reaching his majority Mr. Oden was united in marriage with Miss Sarah A. Berry, who became the mother of five sons, and departed this life at her home in Kentucky in 1860. Mr. Oden was married the second time, to Mrs. Sarah. F. Hardwick, a native of Kentucky, and at that time a resident of Abingdon, Ill. Of this union there has been born one child, a son, Charles V., who is now twenty-four years of age. There had been born to Mr. and Mrs. William Hardwick one child, a daughter, Mary J., who is now the wife of Silas Estes, of Beatrice. Mr. Hardwick died in 1857.
Mr. Oden, politically, is a solid Republican, and has been elected to the office of Justice of the Peace, but having no political aspirations refused to qualify. He has served as Clerk and Judge of Elections several times, and is always willing to give his services to the interests of his party. He has been uniformly prosperous in his business and farming transactions, although not escaping the common lot of man in meeting with some reverses. On the 17th of April, 1885, his dwelling was destroyed by fire, involving a total loss with all its contents, as he had no insurance. The clothing and personal effects of the family shared the same fate, and Mr. Oden had not even a coat to his back. The house was rebuilt, and from the proceeds of the farm he realizes a handsome income.
ILLIAM M. YOUNG, Postmaster of Blue Springs, and also following the profession of an auctioneer, operates likewise as "mine host" of the Central Hotel, which he owns, together with residence property, and other real estate in the city. He has built up the record of an honest man and a good citizen, and is widely and favorably known as one of the most useful and worthy residents of this county.
538 GAGE COUNTY
Our subject is of excellent Pennsylvania stock, his father, Joseph Young, having been born in that State in 1800. He removed with his brother at an early age to Trumbull County, Ohio, where he was educated and reared to manhood. Upon reaching his majority he took up his residence in Brown County, and followed boating on the river for a time, after which he engaged in farming. In the fall of 1828 he was united in marriage with Miss Mary Moore, and they removed to Johnson County, Ind., settling upon a tract of Government land. After some improvements the father sold out, secured other land, and repeated the experiment of buying, improving and selling, until he became owner of one of the best farms in that region, and where he lived until 1853.
The father of our subject in the year mentioned crossed the Mississippi, and purchased an improved farm of 220 acres, upon which he labored, adding to its value, until 1862. Then selling out once more he returned to his place in Indiana, of which he regained possession, and there spent the remainder of his life, passing away on the 8th of April, 1871. He was prominent and popular among the people of that region, an honest, hard-working man, ever ready to perform his duty, whether at home in his family or among his neighbors. A member of the Presbyterian Church at Shiloh since its organization, he continued its liberal supporter until the close of his life, and was foremost in the enterprises calculated to built up morality and religion. The parental household included ten children, nine of whom are still living, and residents mostly of the United States.
Mrs. Mary Young, the mother of our subject, was born in Brown County, Ohio, in 1807, and lived there until her marriage. She was a devoted wife, a tender mother and faithful friend. After a life spent in doing good she passed from earth at her home, Aug. 25, 1866. She was the daughter of Jonathan Moore, of Brown County, Ohio, where he settled in the pioneer days, engaged in farming and freighting, and from the uncultivated soil built up a good farm and provided a comfortable home for his family, which included sixteen children. The great-grandfather of William M. Young was one of three brothers who emigrated from Ireland, probably during the Colonial days. One went South and one settled in Maryland. The other settled in Pennsylvania, and from him sprang this branch of the family.
The subject of this sketch was born on the old Young homestead in Johnson County, Ind., Nov. 2, 1833, and there lived with his parents until reaching manhood. After the removal of the family to Iowa, William M. taught school winters, and farmed in summer, and when prepared to establish a home of his own was united in marriage with Miss Sarah E. Kirkpatrick, Jan. 5, 1855. This union was blessed by the birth of seven children, of whom only three are living--Alma Belle, George W. and Edgar H. Mr. Young continued farming upon a large tract of land which he purchased in Iowa, and where he lived until 1875. He was then employed in a hardware store a year, after which he went back to his farm and lived until 1881. In the winter of that year he sold out, and purchased 160 acres of land ill Sicily Township, Gage County, which he began to improve and later sold, investing a portion of his capital in real estate in Blue Springs.
One strong motive for the removal of Mr. Young to the town was that he might give to his children the advantages not to be obtained in the country. He kept hotel and was variously occupied until the spring of 1886, when he received the appointment of Postmaster, and assumed charge of the office on the 6th of February. He has discharged the duties connected therewith in a creditable and satisfactory manner, and manifested his usual courtesy of demeanor in his dealings with the public.
Mr. Young, politically, is a stanch Democrat, and in the Hawkeye State officiated as Deputy Sheriff, he has served as School Director twelve years in succession, and with his family belongs to the Presbyterian Church, of which he has been a member since a youth of eighteen years.Mrs. Sarah Young was born in Decatur County, Ind., Aug. 29, 1833, and lived there with her parents until a. young lady of twenty years. Thence she removed with them to Jefferson County, Iowa, where they settled on a farm and where she was married. She departed this life Sept.. 25, 1875. She was a woman of many amiable qualities,
GAGE COUNTY 541
loved by her family and respected by all who knew her.
John K. Kirkpatrick, the father of Mrs. Young, was a native of Kentucky, whence he removed to Indiana. He there married Miss Frances Tackett, and engaged in farming, continuing a resident of the Hoosier State until the fall of 1853. The household circle was completed by the birth of eight children, and the mother passed away at the homestead in Iowa, in 1862. The parents were members of the Presbyterian Church, in which the father officiated as Elder for many years.
The eldest daughter of our subject, Alma Belle, became the wife of J. M. Hinkle, a practicing attorney of Fairfield, Iowa, and is the mother of one child, a daughter Clara Dell. George Washington is a conductor on the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad, and makes his home at Wymore, this county; he married Miss Jennie Snook, of Fairfield, Iowa, and they have one child, a daughter, Vida. Edgar H., a conductor on the same road as his brother, married Miss Alice Bacon, of Blue Springs, and they are living at Wymore.
On the 17th of September, 1880, Mr. Young was the second time married, to Miss Elizabeth Job, then a resident of Fairfield, Iowa. She was born in Guilford County, N. C., Aug. 18, 1835, and lived there until the fall of 1878, when she removed alone to Iowa. Her father, Thomas Job, a very intelligent and capable man, was a farmer by occupation, and also taught school during his younger years. He died at his home in North Carolina, in March, 1881. The mother is still living, and makes her home with her daughter, Mrs. Young.
EV. THOMAS QUICK, Rector of St. Joseph's Church at Beatrice, and whose portrait is on the opposite page, was born in the county of Lancashire, England, Nov. 17, 1833. His education, begun in his native shire, was completed in one of the best schools of Belgium. Father Quick is the founder of the Boys' and Girls' Orphan Industrial School. This institution is located in Manchester, England; it is one of the largest schools of the kind in England, and is very popular, and the means of furnishing homes to thousands of orphans, giving to them that moral and religious training by which they grow up to be useful and worthy citizens.
Owing to excessive labor for a period of twenty years the health of Father Quick became seriously impaired, and he was advised by his friends and physician to seek the climate of the country on this side of the Atlantic. He reached New York City in the fall of 1885, and thence proceeded South to Georgia, whence, after a sojourn of three months, he came to this State by invitation of the Bishop of Omaha, and while in that city decided to settle in Beatrice. To the latter town he came in May, 1886, and assumed charge of St. Joseph's Church. This religious body now comprises about 180 families, and under the administration of the present pastor the church building has been enlarged to twice its former size, and a school has been opened numbering 100 pupils. In the meantime also Father Quick completed a church in Cortland twenty miles distant, and presented it to the Bishop free of debt. He is honored and revered by the Irish generally, on account of having been confessor to the three Manchester martyrs, Allen, Larkin and O'Brien, and stood on the scaffold with them when they died. His sympathies are warmly with the Irish cause, and when we say this it is sufficient recommendation of the broad and catholic spirit characteristic of the man. Not only in his own parish does he possess the universal friendship of his people, but in time community at large he is highly respected for his erudition and the higher traits of character which he has uniformly exhibited.
ERRY WALKER, the well-known Supervisor of Paddock Township, is the son of Peter Walker, who was born in Somerset County. Pa., in 1776. The maiden name of his mother was Charlotte Roamsperk, a native of Frederick County, Md. They settled in Somerset County, Pa., and there continued to make their
© 2004 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller