692 GAGE COUNTY
Louisa, George M., Ella, Nellie and Paul. The five oldest of them are married, and have homes of their own not far from the old homestead.
Our subject has seen many ups and downs in life, and it has often seemed as though the difficulties presented were insurmountable, but courage and hard labor have presently devised a way and effected a method that left him the victor. He is connected with the membership of the United Brethren Church, and is considered by all worthy of entire confidence and respect. His life is an illustration of what may be done by those who will courageously utilize the powers they possess, and the opportunities that come within their reach, which are so many rounds in the ladder of success.
ACOB UPLINGER bears the distinction of being one of the oldest settlers of Highland Township, to which he came in the fall of the year 1871. His early home was in Luzerne County, Pa., where his birth took place Feb. 17, 1845. His parents, John and Elizabeth (Wood) Uplinger, are still living, and residents of DeKalb County, Ill. This branch of the Uplinger family is traced back through eight generations, and believed to have been of German origin. The mother of our subject traced her forefathers back to England. Jacob was one of a family of thirteen children, all of whom lived to mature years, and with one exception still survive. Mary, the eldest daughter, is the wife of Samuel Krisinger, of Minnesota; Susan married Stephen Santee, of that State; Sarah is the wife of H. H. Silver, of Highland Township, this county; Almina died at the age of twenty-five years; Amelia is the wife of P. Worthley, of Martin County, Minn.; Maggie, Mrs. Ida Vanderburg, lives in DeKalb County, Ill., of which Elizabeth, Amanda, Martha, Charles, John and Benjamin are also residents.
The subject of our sketch was reared to man's estate in his native county amid the quiet surroundings of farm life, and acquired his education in the common schools. When in the seventeenth year of his age he left home to learn the trade of harness-maker, being thus occupied eighteen months at Berwick, Pa. He subsequently returned to the farm, worked for his father a year, then engaged in lumbering on the west branch of the Susquehanna, in Center County. Eighteen months later he started with a team for Oil City, and continued traveling until reaching Sterling, Ill. There he disposed of his team, then proceeded across the Mississippi to Dubuque, Iowa. After a brief sojourn in the Hawkeye State he returned to the old homestead in Pennsylvania, and a few months later established himself as a butcher at the Lehigh mines in Luzerne County. This business he conducted about two years, and then moved to Illinois.
The marriage of Jacob Uplinger and Miss Sarah Woodring was celebrated at the home of the bride in Luzerne County, Pa., June 25, 1866. Mrs. Uplinger was born Dec. 2, 1844, in Luzerne County, Pa.. and of her union with our subject there have been born six children, namely: Charles was born April 3, 1868 Frank, Aug. 31, 1871; Edward, Nov. 9, 1873; William, Oct. 26, 1875; Rosa, Dec. 19, 1877, and Alfred. The latter died when six months old. Mr. and Mrs. U. after their marriage and the birth of one child, came in 1870 to Nemaha County, this State, whence the year following, they removed to their present homestead. The land upon which they settled bore little resemblance then to its present condition, being a wild and uncultivated tract with no improvements. Mr. Uplinger secured a homestead claim of eighty acres, and put up a very simple habitation, which they occupied until able to do better. They now possess a fine farm, 240 acres in extent, with admirable improvements and situated amid all the comforts and many of the luxuries of life. Aside from having no capital Mr. Uplinger was obliged to run in debt at the commencement, but it was soon found that he was a man industrious and persevering, and one whose word was as good as his bond. His property is now without incumbrance, and he is in possession of one of the finest homes in this region, a view of which the publishers take pleasure in presenting elsewhere in this volume. The farm stock and machinery are of first-class quality and condition, and everything about the premises indicates the thrift and intelligence which have traveled hand in
GAGE COUNTY 693
hand, and which have brought about such admirable results. Among the early pioneers of Highland Township none are more esteemed and honored, and none more deserving, than Jacob Uplinger.
EV. JEDIDIAH R. HOAG. One of the earliest pioneers, in relation to both its material and religious condition and growth, is the gentleman whose biography is herein briefly epitomized. Lyman Hong, the father of our subject, was born on Long Island, N. Y., in the year 1780, and received such education as was obtainable in the common schools of that time, after which he learned the trade of wheelwright, and throughout the greater part of his life followed the calling of a builder and contractor. When quite a young man he removed to Rensselaer County, and continued to make his home there for the greater part of his life, making one more removal quite late in life, and that to Lockport, Niagara County, where he purchased a farm and operated the same for about twenty years, and died at the age of seventy-eight years, in the month of September, 1858. His wife, the mother of our subject, was Mary Robinson, who was born in Rensselaer County, N. Y., in the year 1775, and was the daughter of Jedidiah Robinson, a farmer in that county. This lady was married when twenty years of age, and lived until the year 1860. She became the mother of eleven children, of whom nine grew to mature years. Their religious connection was with the Society of Friends. William Hoag, the grandfather of our subject, was a native of Quaker Hill, Dutchess Co., N. Y., and was very prominent among the Friends.
Our subject was born in Rensselaer County on the 26th of August, 1822. His education was received in the common schools of that place, until at the age of twelve years he removed with his parents to Orangeport, Niagara County, then considered the Far West. At twenty years of age he entered the Theological Seminary, of Meadville, Pa., and after taking the full course, was graduated, and entered the ministry, and followed it regularly for thirty-seven years, until his settlement in Wywore, in 1881. In the. discharge of his clerical duties he has held various charges in New York State, Canada, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana and Nebraska, coming to the latter State in 1880, and locating at Blue Springs, and the following year when Wymore was platted came to this city, and was identified with its founding. He was the owner of a homestead which was laid out in town lots. This circumstance associated him with prominent men engaged in the distribution and sale of real estate, and led to his connection, with the business. Since that time he has disposed of more than 530 lots in the city.
Our subject was a member of the first School Board, and before a school district was organized he, with his colleagues, ran a public school on their own credit, thus proving their faith in the future town by their works; our subject has always been enthusiastic in educational matters, and whatsoever looks toward the advancement of the young people. Upon the 3d of September, 1848, Mr. Hong was united in marriage with Electa E. Freeman, at Orangeport, and to them have been born eight children, five of whom are still living--Mary, Freeman, Eva, Clara and Olive. Mrs. E. E. Hoag is the daughter of William and Mary Freeman, natives of New York. Their daughter was born April 15, 1827.
Since Jan. 1, 1886, our subject has retired from active labor and business, and has now reached the advanced age of sixty-six years. He and his family enjoy the fullest confidence and respect of the community at large, and are held in highest esteem.
NDREW KERR. The name of this gentleman is prominently known throughout Sherman Township and vicinity as one of J its enterprising and successful farmers, and a leader in those projects tending to the moral and financial advancement of this community. He has built up one of the finest farms in this part of Gage County, and is one of the self-made men who have been instrumental in bringing it to its present enviable condition.
A native of the Dominion of Canada, our subject was born near the city of Kingston, Oct. 8,
694 GAGE COUNTY
1839. When about fourteen years of age he removed with his parents to Connecticut, they settling on a farm, where they remained about six years. Then, resolving to seek a home in the West, they emigrated to Ford County, Ill. From there six years later Andrew moved to Monroe County, Iowa, taking up his residence in Albia, the county seat, where he lived three years. He saved what he could of his earnings, and his first investment was in eighty acres of land in Ford County, Ill., upon which he brought about some improvements, then sold.
In the spring of 1869 Mr. Kerr came to Nebraska, at a time when this county was practically unsettled. Young Kerr was without capital, having only his willing hands and stout heart, and secured employment in breaking prairie by the acre. He first rented land a year, then purchased eighty acres in Sherman Township, which he improved, and in due time added to it 120 acres adjoining. He was prospered in his labors, and his next purchase was 320 acres adjoining his previous purchases, so that he became the owner of 520 acres in one body. Also he began dealing largely in live stock, buying, feeding and shipping to the Chicago market, increasing his operations each year until they included 300 or 400 hogs and 100 cattle annually. This industry he still pursues to quite an extent, although not so largely as in ears past. He also controls a section of land adjoining his farm, which is devoted to his stock interests.
The marriage of our subject with Miss Sarah R. Bain was celebrated at the home of the bride, in Albia, Iowa, Feb. 14, 1866. Mrs. Kerr was born near Zanesville, Ohio, and is the daughter of James and May (Sterett) Bain, who were also natives of the Buckeye State, and are now dead. Of this union there have been born six children, three sons and three daughters--Ida M., George W., Frank, Wilbur A., Laura and Pearl. Mr. Kerr has been quite prominent in local affairs, having served as School Director for a period of thirteen years, and filled the various township offices, including that of Supervisor. He gives his undivided support, politically, to the Republican party, and for a period of sixteen years has been chosen as the delegate from his township to the county convention. His whole career illustrates in a marked manner that of a self-made man, who has arisen through many difficulties to an enviable position, socially and financially, among his fellow-citizens.
The parents of our subject, James and Sarah (Gamble) Kerr, were most excellent and worthy people, the father of excellent Scotch ancestry and born in the "land of the thistle." His ancestors were driven from Scotland to the North of Ireland on account of their religious views during that hegira which has become a matter of history. James Kerr emigrated from Ireland to Canada and later to Illinois. His wife, the mother of our subject, died when the latter was quite small. Andrew received only the advantages of a limited education, but has made the most of his opportunities all through life, and there are few men who have a better knowledge of general business, or who are better posted upon matters of interest to every intelligent citizen.
EV. DAVID EDWARDS. The principal events in the history of the present pastor of Wymore Presbyterian Church are mainly as follows. He was born in 1861 at Bangor, a city of Carnarvonshire, North Wales, at the head of Beaumaris Bay, and in the midst of a romantic valley. The town is traversed mainly by one narrow street, nearly a mile in length, and has a cathedral, an Episcopal palace, and a deanery founded in the reign of Elizabeth. The town is a popular resort for sea bathing. The first years of Mr. Edwards were spent at home and in attendance at the British schools and the grammar school.
When a lad of fourteen years Mr. Edwards was deprived by death of his mother, which melancholy occurrence left a deep impression upon his mind, and seemed to prove a turning point in his life. Three years later he left home and was employed as clerk in a woolen warehouse at Liverpool, England, where he staid nearly three years. He had always been a lad thoughtful and serious beyond his years, liking to be in the company of ministers, and conceived the idea that he would like to be a preacher. As he approached manhood this matter took a strong hold upon him, and he talked it over
GAGE COUNTY 695
with some of his friends, who advised him to speak in the pulpit as he had opportunity, to also enter a private school, and prepare himself for college. With this end in view young Edwards left Liverpool and entered a private school at Oswestry, in Shropshire, and during his stay there was admitted a regular member of the presbytery in 1882. Two years later he became a student of Edinburgh University, Scotland, where he pursued his studies faithfully for a period of three years, and then was advised to cross the Atlantic and visit America, before taking charge of any church.
In June, 1887, Mr. Edwards sailed from his native shores, arriving in New York City the latter part of the month, anticipating a stay of four months in the United States. The climate, however, proving greatly beneficial to his health, and the further fact that he received a unanimous call to become the pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Wymore, this county, were ready inducements for him to remain. Although having been but eighteen months in America he is becoming thoroughly accustomed to the ways of her people, and by his upright and Christian course has drawn around him many friends. He presides over a large congregation, and in connection with the church, through the efforts of Mr. Edwards, there has been built up a flourishing Sunday-school, which is conducted in the morning and mostly attended by children, while the afternoon is given to a sermon; there are also occasional week-day services, besides the ordinary meetings of the church, thus keeping the pastor fully employed.
AMES H. JOHNSON. Prominent among the pioneers of this county stands the name of James H. Johnson, late of Blue Springs Township, and although he has passed away to enjoy the recompense due his long and useful life, his memory still lives, and his honorable and successful career stands forth as a fitting example of what can be done by earnest and constant effort. He was a man of upright, honest character, who abhorred trickery and deceit, and in looking about over the long and useful life which he passed, he might well feel gratified at the position he had won in the esteem and confidence of honest men, and the respect of all good citizens. He was ever kind and hospitable in his home, to all new corners his house was open and a hearty welcome extended, free from cold formality. He was born in Logan County, Ohio, in March, 1818, and was a son of Larkin and Mary Johnson, who were natives of Ohio and North Carolina. The former is deceased.
In 1838 our subject moved to Iowa, whence he came to this county about thirty years ago, the same time that Nathan Blakely and other early setlers (sic) came. Throughout his life he had been engagd (sic) in the occupation of farming, and when he settled on his land on section 9, Blue Springs Township, the Indians lived all through this section. The early settlers had to go to St. Joseph, Mo., over 100 miles distant to trade and get their provisions, and in making those long journeys they had necessarily to undergo many hardships. The post-office from which they received their mail was on Turkey Creek in Pawnee County, about fifteen miles away, and after making the long journey to the post-office how glad they were to receive a letter from some of their distant friends. The Indians seemed very quarrelsome and threatening, and the settlers were often obliged to run for their lives to the fort at Blue Springs. The men would take their guns and scour through the country to drive off the intruders who had committed depredations and murder on the adjoining settlements.
At one time during the residence of our subject here the notorious rebel guerrilla, McCandless, planned an attack on the settlers, in which he and his allies expected to blot out from existence the thriving little colony, but the noted Wild Bill heard of it, and went to his house and shot the leader, when the band of McCandless' men being without a leader, disbanded and gave up their murderous intention, the lives of many of the Blue Springs settlers being saved by the courageous action of that one brave man. But Indians and guerrillas were not the only enemies with whom those early settlers had to contend, there being wild animals and serpents ever ready to increase the dangers, snakes being very plentiful and very troublesome. They often
696 GAGE COUNTY
crawled into the house, and even the deadly rattlesnakes would sometimes creep in unnoticed. The various hardships which were endured by those stout-hearted pioneers with so much fortitude cannot help but inspire others with a great respect for them. The wife of our subject grated corn on a grater in order to make bread, mills being then quite an unknown convenience in this part of the country, and sometimes she ground it on a hand-mill, often working at it all day out of doors in the rain.
In 1842 our subject was united in marriage with Martha M. Robinson, a daughter of Richard and Elizabeth Robinson, who also came to this country at an early day. The former is deceased. They were the parents of seven children, the five surviving members bearing the names of Mary. Thomas, James, Richard and Martha. One son named Allen R. was drowned in the Blue River, when he had lived here but one month. He was in his tenth year, and his death was the first one which occurred in this community, and a very sad one. Mrs. Johnson was the first white woman who made her home in this county, and the trials which she had to undergo have been various and many, but with true womanly courage and steadfastness of purpose she has passed through them all, and is now enjoying more comfortable surroundings.
Our subject was called from the scenes of his early labors in the fall of 1865, and in his death the family lost an affectionate husband and a tender parent, and the community a valuable member of society. He was a licensed minister, and exhorted in the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which his wife is an esteemed member, and was loved and respected by all and spent his life largely in doing good. He was always ready to comfort and help the widow and orphans in their affliction, and went about from place to place trying to lighten the burdens of his fellowmen and bring sunshine into lives that were otherwise dreary and desolate. When administering to the sick he contracted the typhoid fever, from which he never recovered, and we might say of him what was said long ago, "Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." He saved many wayward and dissolute men from going down to drunkards' graves, and countless other acts of love and charity marked his pathway through life. The reward which he receives shall be in proportion to his labor, and the crown of immortality which he is called to wear is surely a bright one.
OBERT PRETZER. one of the early pioneers of Clatonia Township, came to this section of country as early as 1870, and homesteaded eighty acres of land in Highland Township, this county. He lived there but a short time, however, thence coming to Clatonia Township, and on section 5 purchased 160 acres at $7 per acre. This he settled upon and operated until the spring of 1887, bringing about the improvements which enabled him to sell it at a good figure. With the proceeds he secured his present farm, which lies on section 36. Here he has 240 acres of fertile land, which under his careful management yields in abundance. He is a thorough and skillful agriculturist, and as a member of the community is numbered among its most reliable citizens.
The subject of our sketch, like many of the well-to-do farmers about him, was born in Germany, Jan. 30, 1844. His parents, Christian and Caroline Pretzer, were also of German birth and parentage, and continue upon their native soil. Robert was the eldest in the family, and, as is common with most of the German youth, acquired a good education in his native tongue. From the time he was seventeen until twenty-three years old, he was employed as a boat hand on one of the inland rivers. In the fall of 1867, determining to seek his fortune on another continent, he secured passage on a steamer at Hamburg, and after an ocean voyage of about two weeks landed safely in New York City. Thence he soon migrated to Cleveland, Ohio, where he spent his first winter.
Young Pretzer in the spring following made his way to Wabasha County, Minn., where he was employed for a time as a farm laborer, then took up the trade of carpenter, which he followed a number of months. About 1869 he crossed the Mississippi, and coming into Lancaster County, this State, sojourned there a brief time, then made his way to this county. He homesteaded in Highland Town
GAGE COUNTY 697
ship eighty acres of land, and his subsequent course we have already indicated. In 1874 he was united in marriage with Miss Louisa Struckmeier. This union resulted in the birth of six children, namely: Lena. Robert, Gustave, George, Albert and Louisa. They are all living and at home with their parents. Mr. Pretzer votes the straight Republican ticket, and is a member in good standing of the Methodist Episcopal Church, being prominent in its conference and one of its most liberal supporters. He has served as School Director in his district for the last two years, and is a man who seeks to make himself useful in his community. All his neighbors are his friends, and his record is one of which his children need never be ashamed.
RAY WARNER, well known among the leading business interests of Beatrice, represents the dry-goods and millinery trade, and commands a lucrative and steadily increasing patronage. A native of Illinois, he was born near Ottawa, the county seat of LaSalle County, Nov. 28, 1857, and is the seventh of a family of eight children, the offspring of Francis and Juliet P. (Back) Warner, who were natives respectively of Massachusetts and Vermont, and were of English ancestry.
The father of our subject followed farming during his early manhood in the Bay State, not far from the town of Waltham. About 1840 he resolved to emigrate, and starting for the West located in LaSalle County, Ill., and there carried on farming until 1852. In the meantime his intelligence and good business capacities brought him prominently before the public, and in the year mentioned he was elected Sheriff of LaSalle County, when he left the farm and removed to Ottawa to enter the duties of his office. Upon his retirement from the Sheriff's office he was for ten years engaged in the lumber business at Ottawa; then he moved to the city of Chicago, where, with his estimable wife, he still resides, and is now General Superintendent of the American Express Company, a position he has held for a period of five years.
Our subject in his boyhood attended the public schools of Ottawa, and upon the removal of his parents to Chicago he accompanied them, and secured a position with the late well-known firm of Field, Leiter & Co., as clerk in their wholesale house. With this he was connected until reaching his majority. Then going West he opened up a store in Georgetown, Col., where, during a period of seven years, he built up a successful trade in dry-goods and notions. In the fall of 1883, corning to Beatrice, he spent the winter preparing for his spring opening of dry-goods in this city, and associated himself with his brother-in-law, Henry B. Gates, which firm continued eighteen mouths under the style of Warner & Gates. Mr. W. then purchased the interest of his partner, and has since conducted the business alone. This store occupies No. 412 Court street, and embraces an area of 25x125 feet, being two stories in height. Here may be seen a full line of everything pertaining to the dry-goods and millinery trade, and the establishment gives employment to both young men and young women, and presents one of the busiest hives of industry in the city.
March 25, 1880, Mr. Warner led to the altar Miss Carrie L. Griswold, of Chicago. Mrs. Warner was born in Janesville, Wis.; her parents subsequently moved to Chicago; the latter, Lucien P. and Maria L. (Sweet) Griswold, were natives of New York. Of this union there are two children, both daughters--Ella and Isabelle. The family residence is a neat and substantial structure, located in the eastern portion of the city, with homelike surroundings and everything conducive to the comfort and happiness of the inmates. Our subject and his estimable lady number among their friends and acquaintances the cultivated people of Beatrice, for which their attractive home forms a pleasant and hospitable resort.
Mr. Warner purchased his first stock of goods from Field, Leiter & Co., who, on account of the fidelity with which he had discharged his duties while in their employ, became his personal friends. The business traits which were developed in him at an early age have continued to enlarge, and the fine trade which he now commands is due to his systematic methods of dealing with his patrons and his promptness in meeting his obligations. Although having little time to give to politics, he uniformly
698 GAGE COUNTY
supports the Republican party, and takes a genuine interest in the enterprises set on foot to increase the standing and importance of his adopted city. He was elected a member of the Common Council in 1886, serving with such acceptability that he was continued in the office by the election of 1888. Socially, he belongs to Beatrice Lodge No. 26, A. F. & A. M.. and to Livingston Chapter No. 10, being Secretary of the latter. He is also Secretary of the Beatrice Flaxseed Company. He is recognized as one of the most public-spirited citizens of his time, a representative man of inestimable value in his community.
R. CHARLES S. BOGGS, a graduate of the medical department of the Nebraska State University, and a son of one of the well-known early settlers of this county, is worthily filling his niche in the busy world of men and in his community. He has been located at Filley as a physician since the spring of 1884, and by his reliable qualities and faithful devotion to the duties of his profession, is fast assuming that place in the confidence of the people of this section which was so long and so worthily filled by his honored father.
From the sketch of the Boggs family found on another page in this volume, it will be found that nature endowed them with those qualities naturally leading to a worthy and successful career, among them being the self-reliance and perseverance especially needed by the settlers in a new country. Dr. Boggs, Sr., the father of our subject, a citizen as useful as he has been a physician, came to Southern Nebraska when spirits such as he were most needed, and met right admirably the demands made upon him. There was a new town to be built up, together with the reputation of this section as a desirable place of residence, and to these things Dr. Boggs, Sr., bent his energies, in common with the other intelligent men around him, contributing his full quota to the development of this part of Gage County.
The subject of this sketch was born in North Manchester, Ind., June 19, 1857, and began his education in the public schools of Bureau and Marshall Counties, Illinois and Indiana respectively. When a lad of thirteen years of age his parents came to Southern Nebraska, and from 1872 Charles assisted in the labors of the farm, and attended school at Beatrice alternately for a period of four years. Afterward he entered the High School in that city, and devoted his whole time to his books for a year, then commenced teaching, which profession he followed four years in succession in this county. At the expiration of this time he turned his attention seriously to the study of medicine under the instruction of his father three years, and in the latter part of 1882 became a student of the Iowa State University, leaving this institution a year later to enter the Nebraska State University. After receiving his diploma he practiced with his father two years, and since that time has gradually assumed the business of the latter as the elder physician retired.
Dr. Charles Boggs has inherited much of his father's natural adaptation to this important department of the professions, and has met with uniform success, building up for himself an enviable reputation, both among the people of this county, and among his professional brethren. He makes a specialty of surgery, and holds the position of Examiner for the Union Central Life Insurance Company of New York City, in this town. When twenty-five years of age he was married to a very estimable lady, Miss Mary C., daughter of David S. and Elizabeth (Snyder) Faulder, of Hanover, this county. Mr. Faulder is a native of Beaver Creek, Md., and was born Jan. 9, 1832. He continued a resident of his native place until 1875, then removed to Ogle County, Ill. From there three years later he migrated across the Mississippi into this State, and is now following farming in Hanover Township, this county. He had learned the cooper trade when a young man, but later abandoned this for the more congenial pursuits of agriculture.
Mrs. Elizabeth Faulder, the mother of Mrs. Boggs, was born in Washington County, Md., June 22, 1833, and is still living. The parental family included eleven children, six sons and five daughters. Nine of these are still living, namely: Jerome,
GAGE COUNTY 699
Charles E. and Ira E.. farmers of Hanover; Irvin E.. at home: Samuel R.. farming in Hanover; Laura E.. the wife of James F. Boggs, a farmer of Filley; Mary C.. the wife of our subject; Anna M., the wife of M. H. Blackburn, who is studying medicine in Filley, and Lucy E., who is at home with her parents.
Mrs. Mary C. Boggs was born in Beaver Creek, Md., Dec. 28, 1860, under the same roof where her father first opened his eyes to the light twenty-eight years before, in 1832. She received a common-school education and excellent home training, and lived with her parents until her marriage, which occurred Sept. 28, 1882. Of her union with our subject there has been born one child, a daughter, Mabel M., Nov. 15, 1885. The Doctor and his little family have a pleasant home in the southeastern part of the village, and number among their friends and acquaintances the best people of the township. Mrs. Boggs is a member of the Christian Church, while the Doctor finds religious consolation in the doctrines of the Methodist faith. Socially, he belongs to the Masonic fraternity, and the I. O. G. T. He is popular among his fellow-townsmen, and a useful factor in his community, both as a physician and a citizen.
DWIN B. HINDS is one of the leading merchants of Odell, where he is doing an extensive business as a dealer in hardware. He owns the fine building in which he conducts his business, and also the commodious house in which he dwells; and besides these he owns valuable farm property, one farm of forty acres on section 19, adjoining Odell, in Paddock Township, and another of eighty acres within a mile of Lanham, this county. He is well and favorably known in business circles throughout Gage County, having a good reputation both financially and as a gentleman.
Mr. Hinds is a native of Vermont, born amid the pleasant scenery of Windham County, Nov. 21, 1842. His parents, Charles C. and Lorena (Burke) Hinds, natives of Vermont, left their New England home in 1855 to take up their abode in Clayton County, Iowa. The father died in that State March 21, 1877, having rounded out sixty-eight years of a busy and honorable life, His estimable wife did not long survive the shock of his death, her own occurring on the 14th of the following August, at the age of sixty-two. These good people had but two children, our subject and his brother Charles. The latter heroically gave up his life for his country during the late war, dying May 14, 1863, at Grand Gulf, Miss., he having been a member of Company B, 21st Iowa Infantry.
Edwin Hinds, of whom we write, was a lad of thirteen years when he accompanied his parents from his native place to their new home in Iowa, and there he was reared to manhood, continuing his education begun in his native State in the Iowa public schools. When the war broke out he watched the course of events with intense interest and longed with ardent patriotism to join the "boys in blue" and march forth to fight for his country. At length his wish was granted, and he was permitted to enlist, although he had not attained his majority, and in August, 1862, he enrolled his name as a member of Company M, 1st Iowa Cavalry, and during the remainder of the war he faithfully served the Union cause on many a hard-fought battle-field, his military record as a brave and efficient soldier being one of which he may well he proud. He took part in the battles of Prairie Grove, Little Rock, Camden, and many others. He was through Teas with the gallant Gen. Custer, and received his discharge from the army in March, 1866, returning to his home without a scar, although he had taken an active part in every battle in which his regiment was engaged.
After his retirement from the service Mr. Hinds returned to his father's residence in Clayton County, Iowa, and subsequently made his home in that county until 1881. Wishing to supplement his education, he entered Eastman's College, Chicago, Ill., where he remained a student for one term, receiving a fine business training. He then engaged as a clerk in a store of general merchandise, but he afterward turned his attention to farming, and was very successfully engaged in agricultural pursuits for nine years. He began life without money, but by enterprise and close attention to business he secured a competency, and decided to wind up his
700 GAGE COUNTY
affairs in Iowa and make his home for the future in this part of the country. Accordingly, in May, 1881, he visited Washington County, Kan., and after staying there about three months came to Odell in August, and shortly after established himself in the hardware business, in which he has ever since engaged, with the exception of one year. He has a fine assortment and an extensive stock, and his trade is constantly increasing. His courteous and obliging manners win him the esteem of his patrons, and his strict attention to business and honorable dealings have gained him their full confidence.
Mr. Hinds was married to Miss Sarah Shaw, of Clayton County, Iowa, Dec. 1, 1870, and they have one son, Charles, who lives with them. Mrs. Hinds' father, John Shaw, is now living in Hanson County, Dak. Her mother died in Clayton County, Iowa, in 1858, when Mrs. Hinds was a small child.
When Mr. Hinds came here a few years ago Odell was an insignificant place, giving but little indication that it would ever reach its present importance as a lively trading city. The railway was just being built, and when Mr. Hinds commenced the erection of his present store building, the weeds were as high as a horse's back. Mr. Hinds has taken a prominent part in the administration of public affairs in Paddock Township, and has served as Township Clerk since its organization. Politically, he is a straight Republican, stanchly defending the principles of that party by voice and vote. Mr. and Mrs. Hinds are people of high social status in Odell. Mrs. Hinds is a member and an earnest worker in the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Hinds belongs to Reserve Post No. 148, G. A. R., Odell; also to Odell Lodge No. 97, I. O. O. F.
ILSON H. GALE. One of the chief points of attraction in Filley Township is the fine estate of the gentleman whose name stands at the head of this sketch. This property, a view of which we give in this ALBUM, consists of 640 acres of land, all in one body and forming a complete square. A beautiful residence was erected in 1885, and this, together with its numerous embellishments, its shade trees, grounds and buildings adjacent, forms one of the most pleasing pictures in the landscape of this section. Mr. Gale is principally interested in fine horses, of which he keeps a large number, breeding and training, having for this purpose ample barns, stables, and all the other conveniences, including a half-mile track for speeding.
Next in importance to any man's career is that of those to whom he owes his origin, and seldom are the deeds of a man spoken of without allusion to his ancestry. The father of our subject, Adolphus Gale, was born near the then infant city of Columbus, Ohio, in 1816, and was of Welsh and Irish ancestry on his father's side, while his mother traced her forefathers to Holland. They were an agricultural people, honest and industrious, and left a worthy record to their descendants.
The paternal grandfather of our subject died when his son Adolphus was a mere lad twelve years of age, and the boy then left his native State, and making his way to Sturgis, Mich., in company with his uncle, made his home with the latter for a period of four years. He then returned to his native State. and locating in Crawford County, was occupied there on a farm until his marriage. Soon afterward, with his young wife, he moved to Steuben County, Ind., where he followed farming until 1867, then changed his location to Story County, Iowa.
In the Hawkeye State Adolphus Gale experimented in merchandising two years, although retaining possession of his land in Indiana. In 1869, however, he exchanged this property for a tract of land 1,440 acres in extent, in Southern Nebraska, part lying in this county and part in Pawnee, the larger part, however, in Gage County. He located in Filley Township, landing here with others of the family Nov. 19, 1869. On section 14 was a house, where they boarded until they could put up a dwelling, having for this purpose to transport lumber from Brownville, fifty miles away. By New Year's Day the house was completed, and the three families moved in, nine persons in all, including Adolphus Gale and wife, his son, our subject and family, and Mrs. F. L. Tinklepaugh, with her husband and family.
The "men folks" were busy all that winter build-
GAGE COUNTY 701
ing stables, taking care of their stock, and providing fuel for family use. There had been broken 200 acres of the land, and in the spring of 1870 this was sowed to wheat. The father of our subject continued here until the summer of 1873, and in June of that year suffered a partial stroke of paralysis, although not wholly disabled. Two years later, however, he was stricken severely, and then sold off his stock and returned to Steuben County, Ind., where he remained nearly a year and until October, 1876. He then came back to this State, and in June, 1878, suffered the third stroke of paralysis, which rendered him nearly helpless, but under which he survived until Sept. 2, 1882, when be passed away at his home in Filley Township.
The mother of our subject was in her girlhood Miss Julia A. Miner, daughter of Andrew and Fanny (Dart) Miner, of Crawford County, Ohio, and was married to Adolphus Gale in 1837. Andrew Miner was born in Delaware County, N. Y., Aug. 29, 1793, his early home being near the Catskill Mountains. His wife was born in Connecticut. June 24, 1795, and when two years of age was taken by her parents to the Empire State, they settling in Delaware County, where she was married to Mr. Gale at the age of twenty-one years. From New York Mr. Miner removed to Ohio a few years after his marriage, where he carried on farming for ten years, and thence went into Crawford County, sojourning there a period of eight years. In 1838, still migrating westward, he sought the prairies of Illinois, making his home in Peoria County, and then crossing the Mississippi settled in Iowa, where, with his estimable wife, he spent the remainder of his days, he passing away in 1866. Seven children, three sons and four daughters, were born to them, of whom only three are now living, namely: Betsey Maria, the wife of Thomas Miller, of Crawford County, Ohio; Luman A., who is farming in Franklin County, Iowa; and Julia A., who is now living with her son, our subject. Miss Miner was born in Crawford County, Ohio, May 3, 1820, and by her marriage with Adolphus Gale became the mother of two children: Eliza R., the sister of our subject, is the wife of F. L. Tinklepaugh, a well-to-do farmer of Filley Township, this county, and represented elsewhere in this volume.
G. H. Gale was born June 29, 1846, in Steuben County, Ind., and until the age of eighteen years spent his early life on the farm of his father. Upon leaving home he engaged as clerk in a store of general merchandise in Waterloo, Ind. Subsequently he learned the trade of a barber. In 1866 he went to Story County, Iowa, and thence came to this county with his father. In November, 1869, he resumed the trade of a barber in Beatrice, but three years later returned to the farm. In 1875 he migrated eastward as far as Steuben County, Ind.. and there again resumed farming. The September of 1878 found him again in this county, where he has since been contented to remain, engaged in the peaceful pursuits of agriculture, and enjoying to the full the delights of rural life.
The father of our subject in 1878 gave him the section of land on which he now lives, and upon which he has labored to such good advantage. Previous to this, in 1870, he had set out a fine array of forest trees along the front boundary line of the farm, and perhaps no improvement which he has made has been the source of more genuine satisfaction or real use. Besides these trees there is a grove of three or four acres near the house, which is the admiration of the country around. In 1885 Mr. Gale erected the present fine residence of the family, and which, with its surroundings, indicates in a marked degree the tastes and means of the proprietor.
For over twenty years there has presided over the domestic affairs of Mr. Gale the amiable and excellent lady who became his wife Aug. 25, 1867, and who was formerly Miss Flora A. Potter. She was born in Fulton County. Ohio, Oct. 26, 1847, and they are now the parents of five children--Carl A., May, Mell, Roe and Frank, all at home with their parents. Mrs. Gale is the daughter of Joseph and Mary (Hartzell) Potter, natives respectively of New York and Pennsylvania. The father was born in 1815, and died in Ohio in 1857. Mrs. Potter was born April 6, 1821. The father was a wagon-maker by trade, and they had a family of five children, three of whom are living: Edward is a farmer of DeKalb County. Ind.; Charles is engaged on the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad there; Mrs. Gale is the youngest living.
702 GAGE COUNTY
She is a very pleasant and intelligent lady, and the suitable partner of such a man as her husband, adorning and keeping in order their inviting home, so that it forms an attractive spot both to her family and to strangers.
In 1878 Mr. Gale, in company with his brother-in-law, Mr. Tinklepaugh, and Mr. Welsh, of Filley Township, organized a Farmer's Club in the schoolhouse of their district, which met the approval of its best men, and in due time made the call for a State Alliance, which was duly honored. This little movement grew and flourished, and from it sprang the present Union Labor party, in which the political sentiments of Mr. Gale are the most nearly represented, and to which he gives his support. A workingman in the highest sense of the term, he believes in giving to the bone and sinew of the country its rightful representation and its rightful dues.
AMUEL I. TRIPP. Among the younger farmers of Glenwood Township there are none more industrious and enterprising than the subject of this sketch. He has 160 acres of finely cultivated land on section 20, and is gradually bringing about the improvements which will place it among the most desirable estates of the township. He took possession of it in 1879, and at once commenced the labors which are now plainly noticeable in their results and speak well for the proprietor.
Mr. Tripp was born in Ogle County, Ill., July 17, 1860. His father, William I. Tripp, was a native of Ohio, and born in Knox County, where he lived until twenty years of age. The mother, who in her girlhood was Miss Emily Balland, was a native of New York State, and they were married in 1838. They lived for the first few years in New York State, then in Illinois, thence went to Iowa, and in 1879 to Gage County, Neb., and in 1883 to Washington County, Kan., where they still reside, the father engaged in farming. Their family consisted of eight children, five boys and three girls, seven of whom are living and residents of Washington. Samuel, of our sketch, was the eldest, and was a little lad of five years when his parents changed their residence to Boone County, Iowa. They were among the pioneer settlers of that region; three years later they removed to Story County, and there the early education of our subject was carried on in the imperfect schools of that period. Subsequently he completed his studies in the High School at Allies, and in 1879 Samuel I., accompanied by his father, made his first venture into the State of Nebraska. The latter soon selected his location in Glenwood Township, and here has since remained.
Mr. Tripp, in the same year that he came here, took possession of the farm which he now owns and occupies. He was married, Nov. 5, 1882, in Story County. Iowa, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of William and Alvina Arrowsmith, the wedding taking place at the home of the bride in Franklin Township. The parents of Mrs. Tripp are natives of Indiana, and moved to Iowa about 1852, of which they are still residents, living on a farm. Their family consisted of thirteen children, all of whom are living.
To Mr. and Mrs. Tripp there have been born a daughter and son, Verna B. and Delbert J., five years and four months of age respectively. Mr. Tripp is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and Superintendent of the Union Sunday-school in Glen wood Township. Politically, he affiliates with the Republican party.
WEN JONES is a very prosperous farmer and stock-raiser residing on section 10, Barneston Township, where he owns 480 acres of well-improved land, and is busily engaged in its cultivation. He was born in the northern part of Wales, in April, 1834, of parents who were natives of the same country, and the father is now deceased. When of suitable age to engage in business, young Jones became a railroad contractor in his native country and was successful, but wishing a broader field in which to exercise his talents he decided to try his fortune in America. Accordingly, in 1868, he crossed the ocean to the United States, first making his home in LaFayette County, Wis., where he remained for about ten years.
In 1878 our subject came to this county, settling
© 2004 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller