GAGE COUNTY 715
can be achieved. The lumber for his house was hauled from Nebraska City, a distance of fifty miles, and for it he was obliged to pay $33, and has lumber in the structure for which he paid as high as $75 per 1,000 feet. He drew stone for the foundation nine miles, and was thus employed thirty-five days. After the completion of the dwelling and other necessary buildings, Mr. T. turned his attention largely to the planting of trees. He has a fine apple orchard of six acres, five acres planted in cottonwood, box elder, ash and walnut, and a goodly assortment of small fruit.
In 1874 Mr. Tinklepaugh rented his farm, and going to Pentwater, Mich., spent that year mostly in visiting. He returned the year following, but in 1882, on account of the health of his parents and sister, and the education of his children, went back, and this time remained until their family affairs were satisfactorily adjusted. He has always been distinguished as a public-spirited citizen, and in company with his brother-in-law, Mr. Gale, was one of the prime movers in the organization of the Farmers' Club. which has finally developed into the United Labor party in this State. This party most nearly represents his political ideas, although he votes independently. He was formerly a Republican.
Of the five children born to our subject and his wife, four are now living, namely: Delphine, the wife of John Andrew, a leading farmer of Filley Township; Charles G., also carrying on agriculture in this township; Leora A. and Joy D., at home with their parents. There is also in their family a little girl by the name of Grace, whom they are bringing up. A view of the homestead owned by Mr. Tinklepaugh is presented among numerous others in this ALBUM.
ILBERT C. FREEMAN is the enterprising editor and proprietor of the Liberty Journal, in which he sends out weekly his spicy editorials in behalf of the Republican party, and the newsy locals of that section of the county. The Journal is a well-printed eight-column folio, full of local and general items of information for the benefit of the reading public, and at present its circulation numbers about 600 copies, with an increasing subscription list. Topics of the day are freely discussed in an able manner on its pages, and the space devoted to general literature is filled by matter inferior to none.
Our subject was born in Clarion County, Pa., on the 1st of January, 1858, and is a son of Henry Freeman, of Table Rock, Pawnee Co., Neb., who settled there with his family in 1868. Our subject remained with his father until March, 1887, having received his education in the schools of Table Rock, and there also learned the printer's trade. He worked on the Table Rock Argus until the date just mentioned, when he came to Liberty, and worked for one year with B. F. Thomas, on the Liberty Journal. Here he received ample instruction in the management of a paper, and thoroughly understanding the editorial duties, he purchased from Mr. Thomas the office, paper and presses of the Journal, and has continued successfully to publish it.
If the editor of a country paper could be present in the homes of his patrons when the paper is received, especially on the farms where newspapers do not appear too frequently, and could see the gladness with which it is received and the eagerness with which it is perused, he would have cause for much inward gratification. Even the younger members of the family who would scarcely be supposed to have cultivated a taste for general reading, must have it in their, turn, and from it they gain much information concerning their acquaintances in the immediate neighborhood, and a general knowledge of what is going on in the world even in the most distant parts.
The power for good which a well-conducted newspaper exerts over the people of a community can hardly be over estimated, molding and shaping at will the opinions entertained by its readers, and by its exposition of science, art and learning, it becomes a rival to the more lengthy and thorough publications devoted to one special subject. The labors of an editor, however, are not always as fully appreciated as they should be, and he is criticized at times with much injustice by those who do not enter into the spirit of his work. The
716 GAGE COUNTY
field of journalism is a broad one, with some discouragements and many encouragements tending toward success. As a rule, the patrons of a paper are the best educated, most enterprising and active members of a community. Our subject may well be congratulated on the amount of success and the appreciation with which his labors have been rewarded.
EANDER J. CARPENTER. In the shadowy past, when Ohio was in its formative condition, when where the present proud city of Columbus and the State capitol now stand was unbroken, primitive forest, and the huntsman and woodman "blazed" their way through its trackless depths or wended their way across the plains, then there stood one little farm dwelling upon its somewhat diminutive clearing, and and (sic) there had settled, in 1806, a family of pioneers from Montpelier, Vt. In the family was a little boy, who at that time was six years of age, and bore the name Royal Carpenter. Amid these surroundings he was reared to manhood, married and settled, and on the 2d of February, 1834, became the parent of a son, Leander J., the subject of this sketch. The father of our subject died in the year 1882, but his mother, who was a native of Massachusetts, still survives.
Our subject received a common-school education, and from that gravitated in harmony with his surroundings to the farm and its employments, and continued in the same until the last two years. He went to Jo Daviess County, Ill., in the summer of 1845, from there the following year to LaFayette County, Wis., where he remained until 1864, when he removed to Montana and remained until the fall of 1865, and then returned East. In 1876 he leased a farm in Marshall County, Kan., and raised one crop; that accomplished he came in the fall of the same year to Pawnee County, and settled on Mission Creek. In 1884 he removed to Potter County, Dak., and was one to assist in the organization of that county. He was elected County Commissioner in the fall of that year, and built the court-house at Gettysburg. Twelve months later he returned East, and in the spring of 1886 came to Liberty and engaged in his present business. which is supplemented by his farm.
On the 31st of December, 1856. our subject entered into a matrimonial alliance with Miss Camelia Howe. This lady is a daughter of John and Polly (Johnson) Howe, who at present are residing a little to the east of Liberty. Her parents are natives of New York, and they have a family of seven children, of whom Mrs. Carpenter is the fifth. She was born in Morrow County, Ohio, July 9, 1841, and is, by the combined influence of her school and home training, eminently fitted and capable of sustaining the position in society she is called upon to fill. Five children have been born to her, three of whom are living. Their names are recorded as follows: Lorinda P., Lucien L. and Lura Myrtle. Lorinda is the wife of Peter Bowhay, of Liberty, and has two children.
While in the mountains engaged in mining operations our subject struck the famous Carpenter's Bar, and after working it for a time sold it. The purchasers became immensely rich, some of the nuggets found being worth $40 and $50. Mr. Carpenter is connected with the society of Odd Fellows, and is somewhat prominent in the order and highly esteemed. He has developed large capacity for business enterprise to go ahead, and energy to keep in the advance; like Galileo, he believes, that "the world moves," and will, if possible, move with it.
HARLES H. PALMER is amply qualified by his experience to judge of the comparative worth of the different States of the Union, being a man of "much travel and many States." He was born on the 18th of May, 1849, in Detroit, Mich., and is a son of Nathaniel Palmer, of Lockport, N. Y. When he was one and a half years old his parents moved to Corfu, Genesee Co., N. Y., in which place he grew up and received his education. In 1866 he went to Lexington, Mo., thence to the Rocky Mountain region in 1868, living for awhile at Trinidad, Col. In the following year he turned his footsteps toward the sunny South, and for a time made his home in Madison, N. M., thence to Corfu, N. Y., in 1875, where he
GAGE COUNTY 717
remained for three years. In 1881 he came to this county and settled at Liberty. where he has since remained.
On the 5th of March, 1878, during his last residence in New York, our subject was united in marriage to Frances A. Sisson, a daughter of Nelson Sisson, of Corfu. They have become the parents of four children, whom we name as follows: Walter L., Bessie L., Florence L. and Charles L.
Since his residence in this place our subject has been engaged in carrying on a grocery and provision store, the farms, gardens and orchards in the surrounding country furnishing a supply of fine fruits and vegetables. By his gentlemanly manner of supplying the wants of his customers, and the excellent quality of the stock on hand, Mr. Palmer has built up a large trade, and has well merited the patronage which he receives. He is strictly honest and honorable in his dealings, and numbers among his patrons the best people of the city.
Among the many fraternities and social orders with which men identify themselves, the Masonic fraternity takes a leading rank, both as to its early establishment, its policy, and the amount of benefits which it disburses. It comes promptly to the relief of injured or ailing members, and if the father of a family is taken from them, the society comes to the assistance of the widow and orphans, not neglecting the education of the latter. It binds men together by ties of brotherhood, and in every way it strives to counteract the force of "man's inhumanity to man." Of this society our subject is a member in good standing, and part of his success in life is due to his having followed the teachings and advice so freely bestowed within its halls.
UGUSTINE W. BRADT, Councilman from 4J the First Ward in Beatrice, is numbered among the prominent men of this section, and one who is closely identified with its most important interests. A native of the Dominion of Canada, he was born near Niagara Falls, April 1, 1844, and when a little lad six years of age removed with his parents to the vicinity of Buffalo, N. Y., where the father engaged in shipping grain from Chicago to Buffalo. He was the owner of several vessels. In Buffalo the family lived about four years. Thence they removed to Winnebago County. Ill., settling near Rockford. The father, William Bradt, was a manufacturer of woolen goods. but after his removal to the Prairie State turned his attention principally to agricultural pursuits. The family came to Nebraska in 1869, and the father passed away in April of 1876.
The mother of our subject before her marriage was Miss Rosana Hansler, also a native of Canada, and of German descent. The parental household included five children, four sons and one daughter, namely: Byron; Mary, the wife of C. W. Snure; William H., and Augustine W., our subject. James H. died in Beatrice when seventeen years old. Augustine was reared in Winnebago County, Ill., where he was mostly educated, but completed his studies in the commercial department of Eastman's Business College, at Chicago. Upon emerging from this institution he engaged in farming near the homestead in Winnebago County, remaining there until March of 1870, which witnessed his arrival in this county. His first business venture here was the opening of a meat-market at Beatrice, and he also engaged in the shipping of stock, which netted him excellent returns. A year later he disposed of the market and gave his whole attention to his stock business, adding thereto that of an ice dealer, and in due time handled annually 1,500 tons. Thus was formed the basis of the snug fortune which he to-day enjoys.
One of the most important events in the life of our subject was his marriage, Nov. 19, 1869, his bride being Miss Lottie Graham, of Ogle County, Ill. Mrs. B. is also a native of Canada, and was born near the city of Prescott, on the 12th of August, 1844. Her parents were William and Mary A. (McCullom) Graham. About 1868 she and her brother came to the States and located in Ogle County, Ill., where her marriage took place. Of this union there have been born three children--Mary, Gertie and Anna.
Mr. Bradt in 1876, having evinced more than ordinary capability and worth as a member of the community, was elected a member of the City Council, which position he has held continuously
© 2004 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, Ted & Carole Miller