door neighbor is his brother Peter,
whose family comprises a like number. The political
sympathies of our subject are with the Republican
party, which finds an ever ready supporter in him.
Both he and his family are the recipients of the
entire confidence and high regard of their neighbors.
FINK, JR., a well-known and prosperous farmer of Buda
Precinct, is a native of Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany. He
was born to Philip and Gertrude Fink upon the 23d of
January, 1850. His parents emigrated to this country
in the year 1868, journeying from their home to
Antwerp, and thence to Liverpool, England, where
passage was taken upon one of the trans-Atlantic
steamers, which, after a voyage of fourteen days,
landed them in New York City. The mother is now
Our subject came on to Lancaster
County in the fall of 1878, and purchased eighty acres
of land, where he still resides, and which he has
brought to a very perfect state of agricultural
efficiency. While a resident of New York State, Mr.
Fink became the husband of Sarah E. Priest. They are
the parents of four children, whose names we record as
follows: Fayett, Mattie, Gertrude and William.
Mr. Fink has accorded to himself and
family the esteem and confidence of the community. He
is now serving his second term as School Moderator
with much satisfaction to all parties concerned. In
the United Brethren Church, of which they are old and
active members, they find that which is congenial to
their religious principles, and are held in high
R. SIZER, Clerk of the District Court of the Second
Judicial District, in and for Lancaster County, Neb.,
came to Lincoln in 1874, and soon afterward was
employed as Deputy District Clerk under R. M. Vedder,
now deceased. Filling that position acceptably until
1879, he, in 1883, was nominated by acclamation by the
Republican party for his present office, and elected
by a majority of over 3,000. In 1887 he was
renominated by acclamation, elected by an increased
majority, and has discharged the responsible duties of
his office in a manner highly creditable to himself
and satisfactory to his constituents. His present term
expires Jan. 1, 1891.
The city of Ottawa, Ill., was the
early home of our subject, where his birth took place
thirty-eight years ago on the 25th of August, 1850.
The eldest son of a family of four children, he is the
offspring of Randolph and Marinda (Hoot) Sizer, who
were natives of Massachusetts, and who emigrated to
Illinois in 1833, being, thus among its pioneer
settlers. His father carried on an extensive business
as a lumber merchant of Ottawa, and for many years
operated as a contractor and builder, continuing there
actively in business until his death, which occurred
Sept. 28, 1856. The mother continned a resident of
Ottawa, surviving her husband until Dec. 16, 1869,
when she too passed to the land of the hereafter.
Young Sizer spent his boyhood and
school days in Ottawa, Ill., and was graduated from
the High School of that city. He commenced his
business career at Princeton, Bureau County, in a
mercantile house, where he continued fifteen months.
His next removal was to this State. He was accompanied
hither by his wife and one child, having been married
in Ottawa, Ill., May 10, 1871, to Miss Elizabeth,
daughter of David and Mary H. (Armstrong) Atkinson,
who were natives of West Virginia. The father died in
1858; the mother is now living in Lincoln. To our
subject and his estimable wife there have been born
five children, three sons and two daughters: Maud V.
(now deceased), Edward R., Jr., Bessie L., William A.
and John A.
The tasteful home of our subject is
pleasantly located at No. 1740 D street, and, presided
over by a pleasing and intelligent wife, is the resort
of a large circle of friends and acquaintances. Mr.
Sizer has taken a genuine interest in the development
of his adopted city, and socially, belongs to Lincoln
Lodge No. 138, I. O. O. F. He is also a Knight of
Pythias, a member of A. D. Marshall Lodge No. 141, and
Marshall Division No. 10, U. R. K. P., also