shade trees, and in due time added
the other structures and embellishments which
increased the value of his property, while his land in
due time yielded bounteously, so that from the
proceeds he was enabled to make further purchases.
Mr. Lyman sheltered himself in a
dug-out the first few months of his residence here,
and then put up a log house, which served as a
dwelling until 1881. That year he completed his
present residence, a large and commodious frame
structure of imposing appearance and architectural
beauty, which would grace a village or a town. He has
availed himself of modern methods of agriculture, by
the purchase of improved machinery, including a
windmill, which conveys water to every point required,
and which is not only a matter of convenience, but the
object of general admiration. Adjacent to the farm
buildings is a fine apple orchard, and there is an
abundance of smaller fruit trees. The land is largely
enclosed with hedge fencing, and the residence grounds
are embellished with evergreens and shrubbery. Mr.
Lyman of late years has devoted his attention largely
to stock-raising, and feeds to cattle and swine most
of the grain raised on the farm. He began operations
in this county when a youth of nineteen years, and
with a capital of $800. He has been fortunate in his
investments, and able, like the man in the Scriptures,
to increase his talent fourfold.
The native place of our subject was
Stephenson County, Ill., where his birth took place
Dec. 12, 1847. He did not live there long enough,
however, to retain any recollections of the place, his
parents a few months later going to Joe Daviess
County. There young Lyman lived until approaching
man's estate, receiving a good practical education in
the common school, and becoming familiar with
agricultural pursuits. He migrated alone to Nebraska,
settling in Table Rock Precinct before the formation
of the school districts. A man of more than ordinary
intelligence, he was soon selected as the proper
incumbent of the local offices, and was selected as a
member of the School Board, Road Supervisor, and to
other positions of trust and responsibility. Aside
from these simple ditties, he has avoided official
preferment and political affairs, although interested
in the success of the Republican party, and giving his
vote uniformly in favor of its principles.
On the 5th of July, 1869, occurred
one of the most important events in the life of Mr.
Lyman, namely, his marriage with Miss Sophie L. Allen.
This lady was born in Green County, Ky., March 29,
1849, and when a child of four years was taken by her
parents to Sangamon County, Ill., where they sojourned
until 1865. The family then came to Nebraska
Territory, and the father secured a tract of land in
Table Rock Precinct, which is now the property of Mr.
O. D. Howe. She lived with her parents until her
marriage. Her father, Alexander Allen, a native of
Kentucky, in early manhood married Miss Mary E.
Barrett, by whom he became the father of eight
children. Of these seven are now living. Mr. Allen was
a lifelong farmer. After sojourning a few years in
Nebraska he changed his residence to Russell County,
Kan., where his accidental death took place, his
lifeless body having been found by the roadside, where
it was evident he had been thrown from his buggy. The
wife and mother had passed away some years prior to
the death of her husband. Mr. Allen was a
well-educated man, and had taught school considerably
during his younger years.
To Mr. and Mrs. Lyman there have
been born three children--Edwin, Rufus A. and Addie S.
They are all living at home with their parents, the
oldest being a member of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, and the youngest son belonging to the
Presbyterian Church. Of this latter Mrs. Lyman is also
a member, while our subject belongs to the Methodist.
The Lyman family is an emanation of New England,
William G. Lyman, Sr., the father of our subject,
having been born in Southampton, Mass., June 8, 1812.
He lived there until a young man twenty-two years old,
then removed to Ohio, and thereafter spent
considerable time traveling over different States,
finally visiting Oregon. His last days were spent in
Grant County, Ore., where his death took place Nov.
Mrs. Amity (Shaw) Lyman, the mother
of our subject, was the sister of the well-known J. W.
Shaw, of Table Rock Precinct, a history of whose
family will be found in a sketch of the latter on
another page of this work. To William G., Sr.,