County Down, and upon coming to
America likewise located in Huntingdon County,
settling at Yellow Springs. He did good service in the
Continental Army, receiving an officer's commission.
He was a man of high character, more than ordinarily
intelligent, and occupied many positions of trust and
responsibility, finally being chosen to represent his
district in the State Legislature. He departed this
life in 1842, at the age of seventy-six years. His
wife was Miss Deborah Cadwallader, a lady of Welsh
descent and of an excellent old Quaker family. Her
brothers served in the Revolutionary War, one of them
as a General.
William Walker was born in 1804, and
on approaching manhood occupied himself largely as a
hunter until his marriage. He then engaged in
mercantile business at Petersburg and other places in
Pennsylvania. He finally removed from Huntingdon to
Blair County, thence to Davenport, Iowa, in 1851,
purchasing land, in the vicinity of which that city
was afterward built up. He became the owner of 360
acres, which under his careful management became quite
valuable. Finally, selling out, he removed to Kellogg,
and made his home with a daughter there until his
death, which took place in 1885, when he was
eighty-one years old. The mother survived her husband
one year, dying in 18861 at the age of eighty. Mr.
Walker had been an Elder in the Presbyterian Church
for many years, and Superintendent of the
Sunday-school. He was indeed one of the pillars, ever
yielding to it a cheerful and liberal support.
To the parents of our subject there
were born eight children, namely: Eliza, who died when
about thirty-five years old; Maxwell K., our subject;
Catherine; Deborah; David, who died in infancy;
Charles, a resident of Decatur County, Kan.; Sally and
Howard, both deceased.
The subject of this sketch was born
in Blair's Gap, Blair Co., Pa., on the 4th of
December, 1841, and received a common-school
education. He was a lad ten years of age when his
parents removed to Ohio, and recalls the fact that
they made the trip mostly by water. He was reared amid
the quiet scenes of country life, and was taught at an
early age to make himself useful around the homestead.
When a youth of twenty years he attended school one
term at Vermillion, Ohio, then, returning to Iowa,
remained there a time, then repaired to Fulton, Ill.,
and entered the Western Union College, where he
pursued his studies also one year. At the expiration
of this time, the Civil War being in progress, he
enlisted in the service, in Company D, of the 20th
Iowa Infantry, and was under the command of Gen.
Schofield, going all through the Missouri campaign. He
met the enemy at Prairie Grove, and was in various
other skirmishes until the troops concentrated at
Vicksburg, and he engaged with his comrades in the
siege of the city. In July they proceeded to Yazoo,
and were thereafter at Jackson, wintering in Texas.
Mr. Walker entered the service as a private, and was
mustered out an Orderly Sergeant. He was proffered a
Lieutenant's commission, and declined. He received his
honorable discharge at the close, and was mustered out
of service at Clinton, Iowa, in July, 186.5, nearly
three years from the time of his enlistment.
Upon retiring from the army Mr.
Walker resumed farming in Iowa for three years. Then,
desirous of becoming further advanced in his studies,
he returned to Vermillion Institute, taking the
classical course of two years. Afterward he taught
school near Clarksville, Ark., one year. Later we find
him at Pittsburgh in the employ of the Pullman Palace
Car Company as a conductor, which post he held for a
period of three years. He then engaged in the grocery
trade at Davenport one year, when he was caught by the
panic of 1874, and withdrew.
Mr. Walker was married in Ashland,
Ohio. Jan. 8, 1874, to Miss Elizabeth J. Sloan. This
lady was born in Westmoreland County, Pa., and
received a good education, being graduated from
Vermillion Institute, afterward occuping (sic) herself
as a teacher in Ashland County, Ohio, for a number of
Mr, Walker in the spring of 1874
came to this State, locating at Beatrice, where he
lived for a time, and thence came to Mission Creek. He
purchased his stock of general merchandise, in which
he rapidly built up a good trade, and that same year
was appointed Postmaster, which office he held until
December, 1882. In 1882 he purchased 160 acres of land
on section 27, an uncultivated tract, from which he
has built up a good farm, ef-