NEGenWeb Project - Banner County
Who's Who in Nebraska, 1940
Mr. and Mrs. Mervin Snyder
HIS history of Banner County is an attempt to give a brief but accurate account of its early inhabitants and their activities: The division of Cheyenne County, from which Banner was created, and the half century following. It is written as a continuous narrative to appeal to both old and young.
In recording events that led to the birth of this county, it will be wise to deal briefly with conditions preceding the division. The land which later became our new county comprises 743 square miles, is divided by the Pumpkin Creek Valley and bounded on the north by the Wildcat range, so named because of the many wildcats which roamed the bluffs in early times.
These Bluffs were covered with an abundance of timber, cedar and pine which gave to the settlers not only fuel but also logs for building purposes, poles for corrals and posts for fences and for sale. It meant food, for hundreds of loads of stove wood were sold by the settlers for $3.00 to $3.50 per load at Kimball and Sidney. Many posts were also hauled to Cheyenne, Potter, Kimball and Sidney. Two men from Kirk are said to have cut and split 100 cedar posts for which they received only seven cents apiece after hauling them seventy five miles to Julesburg, Colo.
There were three or four sawmills in the county in 1888 and 1889 but now the remaining timber is protected. In the central part of Wildcat range is a game preserve extending into Scotts Bluff County.
Pumpkin Creek, fed solely by springs, flows at the foot of Wildcat range. It is fed by Willow Springs and Four J Springs. This is the only running water in Banner County. In 1885 Mr. and Mrs. Olaf Swartz settled near Gabe Springs and the Vance Cross family homesteaded near Long Springs in the bluffs bordering the valley on the south.
Pumpkin Creek, with its abundant good water and lush grass, was a mecca in the early seventies for the stockmen. The Wright ranch was established in 1877 at Northend of Wildcat mountain, where 1,100 head of cattle were wintered. In 1887, when the writers came, the ranch was managed by H. H. Robinson of Kimball; J. S. Robb was his foreman.
South of the southern rim of bluffs is a table land known as the Divide. The pastures were good on this highland but there was no water. The valley is characterized by a sandy soil while the Divide has a dark heavy loam.
The highest land in Nebraska is found in southwest Banner County, where the elevation reaches 5,350 feet. In the early days wells had to be dug by hand to a depth of 200 feet. Later this region was developed into some of the richest wheat fields of the state.
The winters of 1872-73 and 1883-84 were quite severe. Again there were deep snows and severe cold in 1890-91 when the snow was wet. Approximately eighteen inches fell on the level and froze, making it impossible for stock to graze and heavy loss resulted. Since the deep snows of 1898-99, winters have been milder.
The Ashford family came in 1885 and settled on Pumpkin Creek near the future Stage road. South of them in the hills was the Dooley family in Dooley Canyon, which also had a spring. On Willow Creek was the homestead of W. W. Everett who in 1889 had a brick kiln. The Airdale and Egleston ranches were established later east of the Bay State ranch while John Peters had a ranch on the creek further westward.
Prior to 1880 the only industry of the section was cattle raising, conducted by men schooled in the profession. The business required an unpopulated region and the ranchmen paid no rent but established ranches by "right of discovery." There were free ranges and an unwritten law giving each man land according to his needs.
These conditions were utterly changed with the coming of the homesteaders in the early eighties. Each year their number increased until in 1889 nearly every quarter section had been taken either by pre-emption or filing of tree claim rights.
Dugouts, log cabins and sod houses sprang up rapidly and this section of old Cheyenne County became thickly populated. Digging wells was the first step in planning new homes for water had to be hauled from Pumpkin Creek, Willow Creek or Four J Springs in the northern section or from the south range of bluffs with its Long Springs and Gabe Springs. Many settlers dug five or six holes before finding water, then had to draw water in two buckets by hand.
The first settlers began farming with a walking plow drawn by oxen or horses. Each family had a few cows and some chickens. Grass was heavy on the new lands and hopes ran high as sod was broken for a few acres of corn for feed. Many of the early homesteaders worked until the meager crops were harvested then left for Cheyenne
to earn money to tide them through the winter. A few failed to make a living and after the second winter left the country.
The first postoffice was established in the 80's at the home of Lee Livingston with Mrs. Livingston as postmaster. In August 1887 E. M. Cowen was postmaster at Freeport and Mrs. Harvey Ransier was Banner postmaster. In October of 1887 Ashford postoffice was established with Mrs. Ashford as postmaster. A. B. Hull was postmaster at Hull. The first rural stage route was from Redington.
Since there was no town in the region, several small stores were established which necessitated the freighting of supplies from Kimball, Potter and Sidney. Wagons drawn by oxen or horse teams provided transportation, The trip required two full days with the men walking part of the time to relieve their fatigue. The men spent their nights in the livery stables.
Soon after Ashford was started, Centropolis was established on the pre-emption which C. A. Schooley purchased from Pete Clausen. A frame building, the Red Front, was built on this land by Schooley, who with his nephew, C. H. Randall, had come from Harrisburg, Penn. Randall was first Centropolis postmaster.
This Red Front building provided quarters for the first store while in the rear was established the first newspaper office, The Centropolis World. On Aug. 12, 1889 a mortgage was recorded by Randall for a printing press and type. Not long afterward, Randall purchased a quarter of land north of his uncle's place and one evening moved the Red Front building along with its Centropolis postoffice to a site one-half a mile north. His personal belongings, printing press and the store of Fred Jirden were also taken. Considerable furore ensued but the first constable, Henry Gary, quickly moved everything back to the original location.
Almost every community had its postoffice served by a mail route. These included Hull, Epworth, Mingo, Dorrington, Kirk, Heath and Lorraine, in addition to four which were seeking the county seat: Centropolis, Ashford, Banner and Freeport. Aiding the Freeport campaign was the Freeport Gazette. Records show that on Feb. 9, 1888, Allison J. Shumway gave a $106 mortgage to J. J. Wilson for a half interest in the Gazette.
Beginning in 1887 there were three attempts to divide the county but it was not until the fall of 1888 that these met with success. In January of 1889 Banner County was organized.
H. R. Stevens surveyed and drew the plot for the county seat May 22, 1889. C. A. Schooley donated the land and had the courthouse built as a gift to the county. The name Centropolis was changed to Harrisburg in his honor and he dedicated the new town May 29. The dedication was signed by John A. Logan, the first county clerk.
The first mortgage in the. new county was recorded March 2, 1889: H. Dunlavy to L. D. Lee, one grey mare, one cow $22. Others:
March 8, 1889 F. M. and Grow Hall to Joe Gamble, $305 on two horses with harness.
April 4, 1889 A. S. Alexander to Bank of Gering, 1 wagon, 1 bull, 2 heifers for $45.
May 28, 1889 0. V. Bowker to Bank of Gering, 4 cows, 1 bull, 1 ox with yoke and chain.
Aug. 19, 1889 W. W. Everett to Bank of Kimball 50,000 burnt brick on Willow Creek for $200.
April 18, 1890 I. L. Yoey to C. J. Carlisle, 2 oxen for $34.35. Again on July 3 same year he borrowed $9.25 on 1 bureau and 1 mare.
Sept. 3, 1889 T. D. Viner to Enderly Bros., 30 acres corn for $15.00.
Cyrus Van Pelt was first county treasurer and the first tax receipts he issued and signed were:
Real estate tax receipts No, 1, year 1888, paid June 20, 1889 by Anna McCronan.
Personal tax receipt No. 1, to Lee D. Livingston, paid Dec. 9, 1891; personal taxes since 1886.
A. H. Dunlavy, the first county attorney, prosecuted his first case July 2, 1889: State of Nebraska versus J. W. Stranahan. Case dismissed on motion of County Attorney A. H. Dunlavy.
The same date, State of Nebraska versus L. E. Enderly selling liquor without a license, also dismissed.
Henry Walters was the first county judge. The first suit filed in district court, May 1, 1889 was that of C. H. Randall versus B. R. Lewis, case dismissed and cost charged equally against both.
W. W. Renfrow was the first sheriff and bond was filed Jan. 25, 1888. The first county superintendent of schools was Clara Shumway. During the preceding two years schools had been organized so rapidly that there were more than one hundred in the territory that was west Cheyenne County. Many of these were in Banner County now.
Lora Sirpliss was the first teacher of the first school organized. John Wright was the first director and the first schoolhouse was made of logs and had a dirt floor and roof. Gertrude Ashford held the first teacher's certificate issued by the new superintendent of schools. Jones Clapp was the first teacher in Harrisburg.
In the summer of 1890 was held the first teacher's institute, a two weeks training course. Among those attending were Ella Greeman, Veronica Gishwiller, Nettie Rosenfelt, Albert and William Hampton, Gertrude Ashford, Anna Urban, Byron Van Vleet, Lulu Callaham, Wealthy Downer, Ida and Eva Eckerson, Mrs. William McKee, Bell Shumway, Lillie Pierce and Mrs. L. U. Van Pelt.
The first county fair was held in the fall of 1889. Features were the agricultural display, a pa-
rade, a band, mule race, pony races and a barbecue, with Jacob Koenig and William Sauers in charge of the meat course. On the south side of the courthouse yard was dug a large square pit, in which a big fire was kept burning for two days. The pit was covered airtight and left for twenty-four hours after the meat had been put in on a rack over the live coals.
For the dance, poles and evergreen boughs were hauled by the young men and a shade provided. A floor was made of lumber. Another feature of the fair, which lasted three days, was a horse drawn merry-go-round. People from miles around came in covered wagons and with tents and camped during the celebration.
As soon as the location of the county seat had been determined, C. J. Carlisle opened the first Banner County bank, capitalizing it with $5,000. The first robbery occurred in the early nineties. Carlisle was in the bank when a man entered the back door and commanded the banker to throw up his hands. The robber's gun caught in the holster, however, allowing the banker time to flee from the bank, He mounted the robber's horse and dashed for help.
As the holdup man ran out with his loot, he was shot in the leg by C. L. Burgess. The money was recovered, Wes Graham was tried and convicted of the robbery but later escaped. No effort was made to apprehend him.
The Shumway history says the first white babies born in early times before the homesteaders were the two children of Mr. and Mrs. Dick Brown on Pumpkin Creek. The first twins in Banner County were Carol and Gladys, born Feb. 23, 1889 to Mr. and Mrs. Sam Kelly. The mother died in childbirth. Gladys is now Mrs. Ralph Darnell and Carol failed to survive the age of eighteen months.
The first hardware and implement store in the county was established by C. M. Moffit who with his family lived several years in Harrisburg. The first blacksmith shop was owned and operated by Week Snyder, Sr. The lot for the shop was donated by C. A. Schooley. The first photographer was G. P. Pierce.
Harrisburg became a thriving village in 1889 and 1890. A church had been organized and built and a new schoolhouse erected. Bill Cheeney had purchased the Fred Jirden grocery. L. E. Enderly had established a general merchandise store with Doc Wilson in charge of the drug department. The three newspapers soon became one, the Early Day, which subsequently became the Banner County News.
On April 5, 1889 the first marriage was recorded in the new county: Arthur M. Strum and Octava Strum at Freeport. James Murray and Bell .Huffman were married June 14, 1889.
First Banner County commissioners were E. M. Cowen, Ira Paver and. G. W. Rockafield. On Jan. 25, 1889 they approved bonds of the new officers: Sheriff Rentfray, County Attorney Dunlavy, County Clerk John A. Logan, County Judge Henry Walters and County Surveyor J. W. Thomas. Ashford was approved as a temporary county seat.
The first murder victim was Jim Walters, killed in 1895. The first body buried in Harrisburg cemetery was that of Art Elmwood. The first tombstone in this burial plot was erected in 1897 for Capt. Van Vleet. The first funeral among the pioneer families was that of Mary Rose, twenty-two, at the Livingston ranch, June 25, 1887.
Ed Wright of Minatare was the first baby born in Banner County. Among the children born near Harrisburg after organization of the county were Lew Van Pelt, Jessie Wyatt, Mabel Cross and Melissa Moritz early in 1889 and a baby to the Loman family.
The first Sunday school was organized in the spring of 1887 in the Hackberry neighborhood at the homestead of Cora Olivers. The first Sunday school picnic was held June 1888. About this time another Sunday school was started in the Big Horn neighborhood with Mr. and Mrs. G. A. Cashier and Mr. and Mrs. Randleman active in the organization. The first temperance lecture was delivered by John Muhr at the Sunday school picnic. As early as 1890 there was a strong Sunday school organization at Harrisburg. The church had a resident minister, young peoples activities, Epworth league and a large W. C. T. U. organization. Dr. H. S. Fletcher was the first resident physician at Harrisburg. In later years he had his own drug store.
In 1890 it was reported from various sources that Indians in the Wyoming territory were on the war path and coming toward Banner County. A few skirmishes ensued near the reservation, following which the tribe was divided and a part of their number sent to northern Montana. The remainder stayed with the Sioux at the Pine Ridge reservation.
The arrival of the homesteaders crowded the range cattle westward into Wyoming. During the severe winter of 1888-89, the grass became poor and the cattle were turned back toward Banner County. There were no fences and no herd law and the farmers soon had no feed remaining for their own cattle, which were few in number. Many Bay State cattle were killed for food by settlers and the shortage of winter feed caused a heavy loss among the small herds. A herd law was passed the following year for the protection of the small rancher.
The 1900 census for this county showed a population of 1,114. In 1910 it was 1,444 but since that time the number has diminished due to drouth, low farm prices and the development of large wheat farms of several hundred acres.
Today there is a star mail route from Kimball to Gering via Harrisburg and mail routes to every
neighborhood in the county. There is a county high school, a gymnasium and a dormitory in Harrisburg. Roads are carefully maintained. Until this year when a $7,000 bond was issued to repair the high school unit, there has been no bonded indebtedness. Credit for the county's wheat yield goes to Kimball or Scotts Bluff because it is all trucked to points in one of the two counties. Banner county has no railroad, necessitating the shipment of livestock and farm produce from other counties.
Points of interest in the county are Lovers Leap, Gabe Springs, Long Springs, Lost Park, Wildcat Range, Wildcat Game preserve, Bull Canyon and Big Horn mountain. The county now has seven voting precincts and one small village, the county seat.
In concluding this narrative, credit should be accorded the men and women who bravely faced the hardships and privations of a pioneer land. They left a heritage for their children, many of whom still live in Banner County. Following is a list of precincts and their early residents. This is not official but is drawn from the memory of the writers of this history. Friends and neighbors have also contributed to the list. Any omissions which may occur are unintentional.
Note: in assembling the foregoing material, the authors are indebted to Shumway's history for earliest dates in the prehistory of the county, to K. A. Asplund for his early newspaper files and to friends who verified various facts.
*indicates families which have descendants living in Banner County,
E. M. Cowen
DUNN, JOHN HOWARD: Rancher; b Mills Co, Ia May 28, 1879; s of William Edward Dunn-Elizabeth Owens; ed Banner Co; m Cecil Ogg Apr 1912 Kimball; s William B, Richard Warren, Ora Wayne; d Mildred H; family moved to Burt Co 1881, homesteaded in western Banner Co 1888; 1894- manager, opr ranch since father's death, raises Herefords also Belgian & Percheron horses; with two brothers co-owner 8000 A ranch western Banner Co; past regent Banner Co HS, Harrisburg; Rep; res LaGrange, Wyo.
JESSUP, FRANK P: County Clerk; b Palmyra, Neb Aug 23, 1885; s of James J Jessup-Adelia A Van Ostrand; ed Lincoln HS 1907; U of N 1910; Alpha Tau Omega; m Marie Barr June 28, 1910 Lincoln; s James B, Charles E; d Mary Alice (Mrs ___ Burchfield), Louise, Geraldine (dec); 1886-94 resided in Lincoln; 1894-1906 with parents farmed in Scotts Bluff Co; 1905-10 resided in Lincoln; 1910- homesteader & farmer in Banner Co, lived on original homestead until 1933; 1933-34 worked in AAA program, Banner Co; 1934- Banner Co clk; AF&AM 32o, Minatare; Neb Assn of Co Commrs, Co Clks, Co Registers of Deeds & Co Highway Commrs; Neb Conf of Social Work; secy & treas 85 Rifle Club, Harrisburg; Presby Ch, Rep; hobby, rifle marksmanship; off Courthouse; res Harrisburg.
JOHNSON, LEONARD HENRY: Farmer, Rancher; Banner Co, Neb Jan 7, 1894; s of Charles William Johnson-Ellen C Nelsen; ed Banner Co; Potter; m Edna Victoria Peterson June 24, 1915 Heath; s Elwood Leonard (dec), Billy Wayne; d Margaret Jean; 1915- farmer & rancher in Banner Co; assessor Lone Pine pct, now serving 2nd term; 1936 helped org Banner Co Fair, supt agrl dept since; mbr sch bd dist 19 several years; mbr Harrisburg HS bd 8 years; AF&AM 313; pres Farm Bur; Meth Ch, past trustee; Rep; hobby, travel; father (dec 1936) came to W Neb 1886, P M of Kirk several years, 1924 elec sen, served 6 years; res Potter.
JOHNSON, VICTOR JULIUS: Farmer, Rancher; b Banner Co, Neb May 4, 1891; s of C W Johnson-Ellen C Nelson; ed Kirk; Potter HS; m Mildred L Anderson June 22, 1927 Potter; s Clayton Dean, Rodney Dale, Kenneth Lee; 1906-19 with brother managed father's farm; 1919- owner & opr home farm; mbr sch bd several years; AF&AM 313; Meth Ch; hobby, baseball; res Banner Co.
LEAFDALE, GEORGE WILLIAM: County Treasurer; b Central City, Neb May 12, 1887; s of Martin Leafdale-Cecelia Monson; ed Cheyenne & Banner Cos; m Minnie Larson Dec 18, 1918 Lincoln; s Norris G; d Marjorie E, Maxine E; 1906- rancher 20 mi E Harrisburg; 1914-22 mail carrier Kirk to Harrisburg; 1939- Banner Co treas; past mbr sch bd dist 19 & dist 38 for 10 years; past Long Pine pct assessor 2 terms; hobby, travel; parents came to Merrick Co 1886, Cheyenne Co 1888, homesteaded, father was minister 16 years; off Courthouse; res, Harrisburg.
LEE, MRS KATHRYN K: County Superintendent of Schools; b Mason City, Neb Nov 3, 1888; d of Joseph K Green-Cyrenna E Lloyd; ed Gibbon HS 1908; PSTC; CSTC; m William L Lee Dec 24, 1911 Sidney; s William L Jr; d Georgia (Mrs Ralph Van Pelt); 1890-1908 resided in Gibbon; 1908-10 moved to Sidney, tchr in Cheyenne & Kimball Cos; filed and lived on own homestead in Kimball Co; 1911-22 with husband homesteaded Kimball Co; 1922-26 tchr Banner Co; 1926- Banner Co supt of schs: NSTA; Neb St Assn of Co Supts; Dist Assn of Co Supts; Community Meth Ch, ladies aid; Rep; hobbies, reading, travel; husband's family direct descendants of Abraham Lincoln; off Courthouse; res Harrisburg.
SHAFTO, MILTON ELY: County Judge; b Clinton, Ia Dec 23, 1859; s of Thomas Shafto-Anna B Forman; ed Lyons Ia Acad 1878; m Nellie R Dillon Apr 16, 1896 Cozad; s Clarence M, Paul D; 1878-80 tally
boy for Lamb Lbr Co, Clinton Ia; 1880-86 learned jewelry trade with E M Howes, Clinton Ia; 1886 came from Ia to Banner Co, homesteaded 1888, farmed until 1900; 1896-1900 Banner Co clk; 1900-05 owner & opr ranch 5 mi SE Harrisburg; 1905-07 held various jobs in Harrisburg; 1907-12, 1915- Banner Co judge; believed to have served longer than any living judge in Neb; also in abstract bus, Harrisburg; past mbr sch bd 20 years; past regent Banner Co HS 7 years; AF&AM, Kimball; KP, past chancellor comm, del to grand lodge several terms; Congl Ch; Rep; hobby, travel; off Courthouse; res Harrisburg.
SHAUL, JAMES G: County Sheriff; b Banner Co, Neb July 2, 1898; s of William Shaul-Mary Palmer; ed Banner Co; m Ethel G Clary Apr 4, 1919 Harrisburg; d Mildred Ruth, Phyllis Lorene; 1918- owner & mgr farm NE of Harrisburg; 1939- Banner Co sheriff; Neb Sheriffs & Peace Ofcrs Assn; Rep; off Courthouse; res Harrisburg.
SNYDER, MRS LULU CALLAHAM KOENIG: Homemaker; b Topeka, Kas Feb 8, 1876; d of Albert K Callaham-Ida W Powers; ed Banner Co; Kimball HS 1893-94; U of Wyo; Barnes Bus Course, Scottsbluff; m John A Koenig Jan 22, 1896 Harrisburg; s Afton Arthur Koenig, Winfred Myrl, Byron Paul, Clifton Fay; d Beulah Pauline (Mrs W C Fuerst); m Mervin Snyder Mar 3, 1934 Harrisburg; 1892-1917 tchr in Neb & Wyo, also taught art in connection with sch work & domestic science for 3 years; 1916-17 prin primary dept Lingle Wyo; 1917-22 supt of schs, Goshen Co Wyo; 1922-30 representative for Grolier Soc of Chicago, selling Book of Knowledge in Wyo, Ind, NE, Ia, Southern Ill; 1931-33 tchr in Hull pct Banner Co; 1933-34 art instr in Scottsbluff, 1934- homemaker, Banner Co; past pres Banner County Country Club; Rebekah, Scottsbluff, ch mbr, 1st noble grand; Presby Ch, SS supt; Dem; hobbies, horticulture, art, history, education; father came from Minn to Custer Co 1886, then in covered wagon to Cheyenne Co 1887, helped org 1st church in Harrisburg, instrumental in building Banner Co Courthouse; interested in bees, owner apiary. Res Harrisburg.
SNYDER, MERVIN RUDOLPH: Farmer, Rancher; b Scott Co, Ia May 27, 1872; s of Meck Snyder-Adlaid LaBarr; ed Hamilton Co Ia; m Mary Koenig Mar 25, 1897 Harrisburg; s Meck A, James J, Glen M, Arthur C, Herbert G; d Pink (Mrs W 0 Brown), Bessie (Mrs Bud Larsen), Ruby (Mrs Pete Hansen), Alice Susie M (Mrs Fred Eckland); m Lulu C Koenig Callaham Mar 3, 1934 Harrisburg; 1893 homesteaded 4 mi S, 6 mi E of Harrisburg, farmer & rancher; active in Jr baseball & young peoples affairs in comm; past pres Western Neb Tele Co, Harrisburg 4 years; moderator dist 16 sch bd 33 years; Dem; hobby, travel; father came from Ia to Neb 1886 settled in what is now Banner Co; his & wife's fathers helped divide old Cheyenne Co into Kimball, Banner & Scotts Bluff Counties; res RFD, Harrisburg.
VAN PELT, LESTER M: Farmer & Stockman; b Essex, Ia June 20, 1881; s of Thomas Van Pelt-Lotta Brookhart; m Nellie Noyes July 17, 1907 Hull (dec); s Ralph, Richard, Ronald; d Frances (Mrs Robert McKunnon), Gleana (dec); farmer & stock raiser, 1900 began raising livestock: past mbr sch bd 27 years; mbr Farmers Union 25 years; mbr Neb Farm Bur Fedn; mbr Banner Co Fair bd, past mbr Soil Conservation Com; AOUW; MWA; res Bushnell.
WILSON, JOHN MANSON: Merchant; b Tippecanoe, Ind Oct 18, 1862; s of James Wilson-Eliza 0 Pittinger; ed Cuming Co; m Ruby Fitzsimmons Jan 1, 1890 Harrisburg; s Elmer M; d Mabel (Mrs E E Thomas); 1882-83 clk Emily & Perrine Drug Co, Wisner; 1883-87 various vocations in W Neb; 1887-88 clk for Enderly Bros Drug Co Nonpareil; 1888-89 druggist & clk for same co at Gering; 1889-94 tsfrd to Harrisburg; 1894- owner & opr gen store, Harrisburg; pres Bank of Harrisburg 4 years; registered pharm since 1896; past mbr sch bd 20 years; past Banner Co treas 8 years; KP, past chancellor comm, del to grand lodge several terms; Dem, chmn Banner Co Central Com several terms; hobby, reading; father came from Ind to Neb 1867, homesteaded Cuming Co; res Harrisburg.
WYATT, HARVEY LAWSON: Rancher; b Wayne Co, Ia Jan 5, 1884; s of William E Wyatt-Susan C Duncan; ed Banner Co; m Bessie Waitman Jan 22, 1908 Gering; s Leo D; d Norma (Mrs Ralph Allen), Susan (Mrs Raymond Scheffler); family came in covered wagon from Ia, homesteaded in E Banner Co, farm still in possession of family; 1905-06 farmed with brother in E Banner Co; 1906-16 homesteaded NE of Harrisburg & also oprd father's farm; 1916- owner & opr farms near Harrisburg, raises feeder cattle, uses strip farming on 1300 A; past regent Banner Co HS at Harrisburg; past mbr sch bd dist 5 for 10 years; KP, past grand chancellor; BPOE 1367; Neb Stockgrowers Assn; Dem; res Harrisburg.
Who's Who in Nebraska (introduction & directory, list of abbreviations)
Visit Banner County website
© 1999, 2000, 2001 for the NEGenWeb Project by Ted & Carole Miller