NEGenWeb Project - Redwillow County
Who's Who in Nebraska, 1940
Frank J. Hamilton
HEN Nebraska was admitted to the union in 1867 the legislature divided the western part of the state into counties and thus the stage was set for what has been called the greatest rush of white settlement of wilderness country the world has ever seen.
Nelson Buck's surveying party began to measure the homestead lands in Redwillow County in 1869, but never finished it, as they all were killed by Indians. There is no authentic chronicle of events thereafter until we find Royal Buck and ten men who outfitted at Nebraska City in the fall of 1871 and started west for the upper Republican river valley to look over the land with a view toward settlement. They were forced to return east however, because of severe weather, but not before they had decided on what land to file homestead claims.
In the spring of 1872, E. S. Hill, G. A. Hunter, L. B. Korn, William Weygint arrived and filed on land adjacent to where the town of Indianola now stands. Part of Indianola was once a part of Hill's and Hunter's homestead.
A few days later Royal Buck and his party returned and located near the mouth of Red Willow creek. When they arrived they found one man ahead of them. John S. King, a soldier of fortune, was already in the valley and was trapping in the extreme part of the county near the present town of Cambridge.
These men made the first permanent settlement in Redwillow County. A few other settlers arrived the same year. Some of the men remained to guard the log and sod houses and watch the claims while others returned to eastern Nebraska and Iowa to bring their families. On the return trip most of the filings were made, there being no land office nearer than Lowell or Nebraska City. The first filing, however, was made Jan. 10, 1872 by William W. W. Jones, who was superintendent of public instruction for the term 1884 to 1885.
During the summer of 1872, Washington Hinman of North Platte brought a portable sawmill from the Platte river and located it in a grove of timber about three miles southwest of where Indianola now stands. This mill, worked cooperatively, furnished a supply of rough green timber which furnished building material for the first homes.
House adornments, such as brick chimneys, paint, and plaster, were entirely lacking. Wood chinking for the cracks, daubed with mud, stove chimneys cemented together with more mud, rough boards, or more commonly earth, made floors at once practical and free from that daily care made necessary by the smooth and varnished variety in use today. Wall paper, draperies, and door and window screens would have been entirely out of place with early day manners and customs.
The inventor of the sod house is unknown, but, like the unknown soldier, he should have a monument to his memory. No one invention of man so nearly met the needs of early day settlers in a treeless country as did the sod house.
Strangly enough, however, log houses preceded the sod variety by at least one year. This is explained by the fact that the first settlements were confined to land along the streams where the only timber was to be found.
The scarcity of wood building material necessitated some substitute for the settlers who were forced to file on land away from the creek and some genius "invented" the sod house. At the same time they discovered boards and shingles were not indispensable for roofs. Brush, sunflower stalks, hay and acres of dirt were all at hand and proved to be excellent substitutes. In dry weather these roofs answered every purpose for protection against heat and cold. Rain did not come very often, and the chance of a leaky roof was one no homesteader hesitated taking. There are instances, however, where a wife was known to complain after an unusually heavy rain.
A greater problem than housing, in many instances, was the water supply. This was especially true on the high divides. Wells at first were few and water had to be hauled long distances. This was a real hardship and no homesteader felt himself entirely settled down until he had a well of his own.
In the summer of 1873, Governor Fumas appointed E. S. Hill, Washington Hinman, and Leslie Lawton, commissioners, to call for an election to locate the county seat. The election was held on May 27, 1873, in a log house near the mouth of the Red Willow creek. At this time the following county officers were elected: E. S. Hill, judge; I. J. Starbuck, clerk; George A. Hunter, sheriff; B. B. Duckworth, treasurer, G. B. Nettleton, county superintendent; William Berger, William S. Fitch and B. F. Bradbury, commissioners. The first meeting was held in a tent occupied by
Mr. Hill on the site where Indianola now stands. Indianola was named county seat and the townsite surveyed in November of the same year, by Myron Willsie acting for the Republican Valley Land Association. This same fall the Lincoln Land Company built a frame hotel. They also built another frame building 16x24 feet and loaned it to the county for a courthouse. Later in 1880 a courthouse was built from the proceeds of lots donated to the county for that purpose by the Republican Valley Land Association, of which D. N. Smith was president.
During the summer of 1873, quite a number of other settlers came in and settled on lauds adjoining Indianola and along the Willow and Beaver. Supplies had to be brought from Lowell, between sixty and seventy miles away. Mail was being brought in from the east by whomever chanced that way.
The fall of 1873 was noted for its Indian scares. A band of Indians crossed Beaver creek from Kansas and on the way killed Anton Stenner. The alarm was sent out that the Indians were on their way to Indianola and everyone who could get there came to town for protection. This turned out to be a false alarm so far as this part of the country was concerned.
Later that fall the battle between the Sioux and Pawnee took place near where Trenton now stands. Those of the Pawnee who were able to get away passed through this county on their way home. One squaw, badly hurt, was found in the brush by a hunter and brought to Indianola. Unable to go further, she was left at the home of L. B. Korns, where she died. A rude coffin was built for her and she was buried on the west side of Coon creek. This is the first grave known in Redwillow County.
On March 26, 1874 occurred the first wedding in the county. William S. Fitch and Anna E. Nettleton were married and went to live along the Driftwood a few miles southeast of where McCook stands. Theirs was the first frame house in the county. It is still standing, and is used by their son Carroll and his family.
The foundation of all that has been accomplished within the life span of this county was laid in those first ten years. The early and middle seventies were hard, lean years. Danger from Indian depredations, lack of supplies, except at the cost of long journeys to distant trading centers, continual drouths, grasshoppers and prairie fires, all made those early years a long and terrible nightmare of failures and distress.
Many could not endure the hardships and gave up their claims to seek more tolerable living conditions "back east." Others stayed, determined to win their bets with "Uncle Sam." Still others, too poor to leave, were compelled to stay and hope for better luck next year. By 1878 the worst was over.
Then the real rush of settlement started and the county began to fill up rapidly. The business of locating claims became the common employment of those who knew the land. Talk of a coming railroad accelerated the incoming tide and by 1880, when the B. & M., as it was then known, arrived in the valley, men began to take heart and plan great things. The railroad paused for a year at Indianola and then the terminal activities were transferred to Culbertson.
The coming of the railroad was a godsend to the settlers as it provided work at a time when jobs were badly needed. And it also brought up another problem, that of a division point for the roundhouse and shops that were needed for its operation.
Up to 1877, Indianola was the only town in the county, although postoffices had been opened at Valley Grange and on the Beaver creek. But in the spring of 1877, William Colbin became the owner of a tract of land bordering the Republican river, which he afterward conveyed to George Colbin. A sod house was built and the place appropriately named Fairview.
Here Squire Calvin set up a general merchandise store, hotel and feed station. In 1879, after traders had been induced to set their hands thereunto and the country far and near had been scoured for signers to a petition, a postoffice was established with V. L. Kennedy as postmaster.
It was known that the railroad would locate a division point somewhere near and Culbertson and Indianola made active overtures for this prize. Neither town was fast enough and with the assistance of H. C. Rider, one of the earliest McCook pioneers, the division point went to Fairview; the name was changed later to McCook, for General Alexander McDowell McCook.
Now the county began to be settled in earnest for with the building of shops, roundhouse, and other structures, and the large influx of railroad workers, McCook grew rapidly and soon became the largest town in the county.
County Clerk James Hetherington's notes of the trustees' proceedings showed V. Franklin, J. E. Berger, G. A. Daniels, H. C. Rider and G. L. Laws were appointed as trustees "until the next general election." That was Nov. 24, 1883. The oaths of office were administered Nov. 27, in the office of a Mr. Starbuck. Berger was elected chairman of the board, W. F. Wallace, treasurer, F. M. Kimmel "by unanimous vote" was elected clerk and the village of McCook was officially launched.
But the town had hardly been established before it had aspirations to become the county seat. Petitions were circulated among all the residents of McCook and the surrounding territory and on April 25, 1890, the petitions were presented to the county commissioners at Indianola for consideration. Indianola, however, had not been idle and on
the same day a large remonstrance petition was also presented to the commissioners. Thus more trouble was dumped into the hands of the commissioners--Henry Crabtree, Indianola; Stephen Bolles, McCook and Dr. Isaiah Bennett of Lebanon--than they had thought possible. Crabtree was a firm believer in Indianola, Bolles just as strong for McCook while Dr. Bennett was, presumably, neutral. Dr. Bennett's record shows he was always fair and demanded orderly procedure. He did not live to see the end of the fight.
The board had full power to call an election and was sole judge of the sufficiency and legality of the petition. Divided as it was and with an array of leading citizens and attorneys urging the various claims, the commissioners were forced to show their hand. After a stormy session lasting all day, they finally adjourned until April 30 for final decision. They then adjourned from day to day until on May 6, with the tide of battle so evenly divided neither side could claim an advantage, the board adjourned from sheer exhaustion and the impossibility of reaching an agreement on any question. The next step was filing a suit in the supreme court for a writ of mandamus, compelling the commissioners to call an election.
The situation remained unchanged during all of 1891 until June 30, 1892, when a new board, consisting of Samuel Young of Bartley, Samuel S. Graham of Danbury, and Stephen Bolles, who carried McCook, took over the county's affairs. When this board met on July 6 it had a supreme court order to bring the county seat issue before the voters. Election was called for August 1. That was the signal for the most intensive preparation for a battle of ballots the county had ever witnessed. Since a record breaking wheat crop had been harvested money was plentiful and both sides made the most of it. During the preliminary campaign and after the election, charges and counter charges of fraud and illegal practices were made by both sides.
McCook circulated a poster showing the recently completed courthouse at Beaver City, built for $13,200, and promising over the signature of 300 responsible citizens to donate to the county an equal sum in cash and a site for the courthouse, if the election should favor McCook. Indianola promised a like proposition should the seat of government remain there. Many other schemes were worked; ethical standards vanished.
When the vote was counted it stood 876 for Indianola and 1,339 for McCook, but McCook lacked a few votes of having the necessary three-fifths to elect. The result hinged on 31 ballots which had been thrown out. A four year court battle followed with McCook finally winning on April 15, 1896. McCook then built a courthouse and in 1926 the county built the magnificent structure its offices occupy today.
After the selection of Indianola as a county seat, the site chosen by Royal Buck and his party for a town called Redwillow continued to grow until McCook got a good start. Since the advent of good roads this village has dwindled until nothing much is left in the way of business places except an elevator and a consolidated school.
The town of Bartley was incorporated on June 7, 1887, with J. C. Scurr as chairman of the board and C. W. Beek village clerk. Rev. Allen Bartley had homesteaded just west of the present site of the village and laid out the townsite on land gotten from the Lincoln Land Company. His purpose was to establish a Methodist college. Lots were sold and a college started. In the forms of contract for each lot or parcel of land sold under 2,000 acres, were the words "No place of manufacturing or sale of intoxicating liquors or place of vice of any kind are allowed and the title to the property is at once forfeited if it be used for any such purpose." one of the buildings was to be called "Haddock Memorial Hall" in honor of Rev. George C. Haddock, a great temperance worker, who was killed at Sioux City, Iowa. The college flourished for a while but gradually dwindled away.
J. A. Curlee and R. G. Fidler built the first houses in the town.
Besides the Republican river valley, Redwillow County has another valley that is a very important part of the domain: the Beaver creek valley in the south part of the county. Three towns are located in this valley, Lebanon, Danbury and Marion.
In 1871 George Gilbert of Danbury, Conn., homesteaded in Section 275, Township 15, Range 28. He was one of the first permanent settlers in the Beaver valley. In 1872 Jesse C. and Barnett E. Ashton, J. B. and J. E. Dolph, William T. and Richard Henton, S. R. Messner and Perry Plumb arrived and homesteaded in this vicinity. A postoffice was established and named Danbury. The railroad survey came through in the spring of 1887 and the track was built that fall. It was a branch of the B. & M. Railroad company and extended from Oxford to St. Francis, Kas. As it missed the town of Danbury by three miles the entire town was moved over to the railroad. George B. Morgan had the first store in the new town. The village was incorporated in 1898 with Phillip Gleim as chairman of the board; F. P. Eno, T. E. McDonald, George B. Morgan and T. J. Van Pelt as trustees.
Marion Powell and Martin Nielson were partners in what was at that time the largest hog ranch in the world. Needing a closer shipping point for their stock, they started the town of Marion in 1901. It was never incorporated. There was a clause in the contract for the sale of each lot which made the town forever "dry." It was named after Marion Powell.
According to William Halsey--one of the first settlers, who died a year ago on his original homestead--Lebanon started in April, 1872. B. F. Bradbury, William Halsey, William and Harve Springer, N. S. West, Waterman Whitaker, George Zink, J. P. and George Kinne, R. P. High and Dr. I. Bennett all took homesteads and made their homes in the immediate vicinity of the present town of Lebanon in April, 1872. A postoffice was established in 1874 in the B. F. Bradbury home one-half mile west of the present postoffice. "Grandma" Bowers, mother of Mrs. B. F. Bradbury and first owner of the land now occupied by the village of Lebanon, is credited with naming the town. It was incorporated on Feb. 9, 1906, and the following men were appointed to act as trustees: Dan F. Hupp, Walter Devoe, H. E. Waugh, L. A. Thomas and J. C. Cuming.
The first newspaper we know about is the Redwillow County Gazette published by Royal Buck in 1872. It failed and the Indianola Courier started in 1880, later changed to the McCook Republican in 1902. The McCook Tribune started in June, 1882; Bartley Inter-Ocean in 1886. Lebanon's first paper was published on Dec. 8, 1887. The first paper in Danbury, the Danbury News, carried a dateline of Aug. 9, 1889. It lasted until the next summer. When it was found there would be no crop the last edition was mailed out with just two words in it "Dried out." The forerunner of the McCook Daily Gazette was the Redwillow County Gazette founded by H. D. Strunk July 7, 1911. The Indianola Reporter was started in the spring of 1891.
Since the days of the short grass country the county has developed into a farming community in which the principal crops are corn, wheat, alfalfa, barley, potatoes and livestock. Of late years sorgum and sugar beets have been added to the list. Statistics of the drouth years would be unfair, although the drouth was almost nationwide, but in 1930 Redwillow County produced corn on the uplands on an average of thirty-three bushels an acre; wheat averaging twenty bushels; barley, thirty-four bushels, and alfalfa 3.1 tons per acre. The 1930 records of ten acre yields for the corn contest of Nebraska gave C. L. Nelms first place with 86.1 bushels average per acre, Carol Fitch second place with 83.4 bushels and R. 0. DeMay third with 78.6 bushels average. All these records were made on non-irrigated land.
The county has suffered at various times from floods along the Republican river. The worst, however, was in 1935 when many lives were lost and much property damage was done.
ALLEN, EARL V: Pharmacist; b Redwillow Co, Neb Dec 6, 1887; s of William H Allen-Sarah Gewer; ed Indianola HS; Creighton U, PhG: m to Daisy M Hines Sept 19, 1911 Minden; d Clarissa, Margaret; 1906 clk Omaha drug store: 1908 pharm Copeland Drug Co, Minden; 1908- with Allen & Co, Indianola: firm now Allen-Knotwell Pharm; past mbr town bd; pres sch bd; pres Comml Club; Neb Pharm Assn; KC; Cath Ch; Rep; hobbies, fishing, hunting: father came to Redwillow Co & homesteaded 1880; res Indianola.
BAGLEY, REX ALBERT: Red Cross Secretary; b Denver, Colo Feb 18, 1894; s of Alfred Horace Bagley-Ollie N Cook; ed U of Cincinnati; Jan 1933- home service secy for ARC; aided by Senator George W Norris, sponsored original Amer Leg resolution which brought about publication of 1st & 2nd editions of fed laws benefitting U S war veterans; during World War in USN, ordnance dept inspector; Amer Leg; off Courthouse; res 907 1st West, McCook.
BARNES, THEODORE FREDERICK: Publisher; b McCook, Neb June 12, 1900; s of Charles Wood Barnes-Rose Lee; ed McCook HS; U of N 1918-19; West Point Acad 1920-21; m Belle Zurich Apr 5, 1931 McCook; printer's devil, McCook Republican until 1913; 1914-15 with CB&Q RR in Summers; 1915-18 again with McCook Republican; 1921-24 homesteaded in Colo, owns 640 A; 1924 in newspaper work, McCook; 1925-27 in newspaper work with various papers in NY state; 1927-33 war mgr & editor McCook Republican, 1933- owner & publisher; supvr 9th dist 1930 natl census; first adjt Amer Leg, past comm, mbr state publicity com; past trustee Episc Ch, lay reader; Rep; hobby, reading. Father came to Redwillow Co in 1887, pur Indianola Times 1888, pur McCook Democrat & consolidated both as Times-Democrat; moved to McCook in 1890 & 1894 changed name of paper to Republican; off 320 1/2 Main; res 602 3rd East, McCook.
BARNETT, MRS ELLEN: Clubwoman; b Earlville, Ill; d of Leonard Furbush-Mary Dudley; ed Grand Junction Ia HS; m Albert Barnett 1July 25, 1894 Grand Junction Ia; s Frank Frees; d Ethel (Mrs J R McCarl); 8 years tchr in Green Co Ia schs; 1892 moved to McCook & started millinery shop; past mbr OES; Federated Womens Club; C of C; Neb Lbr Mchts Assn; hobby, travel, has just completed a trip to West Indies; res 604 let Fast, McCook.
BASH, GARNETT ABBOTT: Supervisory Agent; b Beach City, 0 May 16, 1875; s of Josiah Bash-Elizabeth Deardorff; ed Beach City 0 & Strasburg 0; m Blanche Hunt June 22, 1898 Republican City; s Robert; 1893-95 CB&Q RR helper, Oberlin Kas; 1895-97 teleg opr at various points on McCook div; 1897-1900 agt, Atlanta; 1900-07 agt, Norcatur Kas; 1907-08 chief clk to chief dispatcher, McCook; 1908-09 station agt CB&Q; RR, Akron Colo; 1909-13 station agt, Oxford; 1913- supervisory agt in McCook; past master AF&AM; past high priest RAM; past comm KT; Sesostris Shrine; past patron & past grand patron OES: chaplain BPOE; Congl Ch; Rep; hobbies, hunting, fishing; off CB&Q RR; res 708 Main, McCook.
BOULWARE, MILTON TEVIS: Osteopath; b Owensboro, Ky Sept 29, 1887; s of Orville Boulware-Jennie Harwood; ed Kirksville MO; Western Ky St Tchrs Coll, Bowling Green, life state tchrs certificate; U of Kentucky, 1909-10; Kirksville Mo Coll of Osteopathy & Surg, DO 1917; grad work Chicago Osteopathic Coll; Kansas City Osteopathic Coll; Los Angeles Osteopathic Coll; Acacia; m to Bess Mary Ruby July 3, 1922 Denver; s John M; 1911-13 prin Utica Ky consolidated schs; 1917-18 osteopathic phys & surg, Nashville Tenn; 1918-19 during World War with AEF in 79th div med corps 315th inf; 1919-20 osteopathic phys, Nashville Tenn; 1920- osteopathic phys & surg, McCook; owns Chief Motor Courts, tourist camp; also owns real estate in McCook; past pres, chmn dist contact com, SW Neb Dist Osteopathic Assn; Neb & Amer Osteopathic Assns; YMCA: Amer Leg; VFW; AF&AM; Congl Ch; hobbies, fishing, hunting, travel; off 306 1/2 Main; res 1302 Main, McCook.
BOYINGTON, EARL D MILLS: Savings Firm Officer; b Osawatomie, Kas Sept 29, 1893; s of John J Boyington-Alda Syphrit; ed Kemper Mil Acad; Baker U, Baldwin Kas 1912-13; U of Kas 1913-14; m Essie McDonald Nov 29, 1916 Hutchinson Kas; 1915-22 clk & cash Bird City Kas State Bank, VP 1922-23; 1923-24 bkkpr First Natl Bank at McCook, 1924-32 asst cash; 1932- secy-
1Albert Barnett was president of the following organizations: Barnett Lbr Co & First Natl Bank of McCook, L W Cox & Co in Scottsbluff, J S Hatcher & Co in Curtis & the Warren Lbr Co in Fort Morgan Colo. He was a member of McCook sch bd 30 years & was former mayor of McCook. He also was chairman of the Good Roads promotional program, a member of Redwillow Co ARC bd & a YMCA director. He financed construction of Meth Memorial Church of McCook.
treas McCook Co-op Bldg & Savings Assn; mbr city coun 4 years in Bird City Kas; mbr McCook city coun; Rotary; treas & secy AF&AM; grand capt of host RAM; recorder KT; Scot Rite 32o; past patron OES; MWA; AOUW of Kas; Rep; hobby, stamp collecting; off First Natl Bank Bldg; res 811 1st East, McCook.
BRADY, EDWARD JOSEPH: Bank Director; b Fairbury, Ill Jan 17, 1881; s of James M Brady-Sarah Jane Murphy: ed McCook HS; m Mary C Fitzgerald June 19, 1912 McCook; 1901-03 with Denver Dry Goods Co; 1904-11 P 0 clk, McCook; 1912-20 P M. McCook; 1920-21 produce dlr; 1922-33 mgr Citizen's Gas Co; 1934- dir McCook Natl Bank; owns Redwillow Co farmland; dir McCook Co-op Bldg & Savings Assn; dir McCook C of C; dir Neb chapter U S 6 Roosevelt Highway Assn; trustee KC; Cath Ch; Dem; hobbies, motion picture shows; off McCook Natl Bank Bldg; res 1102 1st East, McCook.
BRADY, MRS MARY COLLETTE: Banker; b Beardstown, Ill Mar 29, 1881; d of Ed Fitzgerald-Bridget Walsh; ed Visitation Acad, Evanston Ill; m E J Brady June 19, 1912 McCook; 1900-07 supreme court opinion clk, Lincoln; 1907-12 bkkpr McCook Natl Bank; 1912-28 homemaker; 1928- VP & dir McCook Natl Bank; pres Keystone Hotel Co; 4-H Club leader; Womans Club; diocesan pres Lincoln Coun of Cath Women; Rosary Soc, Cath Ch; Dem; off McCook Natl Bank; res 1102 1st East, McCook.
BRELAND, ALLEN MERVIN: Funeral Director; b Mt Vernon, S D July 19, 1907; s of Ole Breland-Johanna Edwards; ed Mt Vernon S D HS; Boyles Bus Coll, Omaha; Worsham Sch of Embalming, Chicago; m Berneice Dealer June 10, 1938 Papillion; d Bette Louise; 1927-33 embalmer & asst funeral dir H K Burket & Son, Omaha; 1933-37 mgr & funeral dir Pade Funeral Home, McCook; 1937- with D B Frazey owner Pade FunI Home, now mgr, funeral dir & embalmer; Neb St & Natl Funeral Dirs Assn; past dir Jr C of C; C of C; mbr exec bd of BSA troop sponsored by Rotary Club; Country Club; exalted ruler BPOE: AF&AM; Congl Ch; hobbies. hunting; off 110 East C; res 806 West 4th, McCook.
BROOKS, DON F: Jeweler; b Greenfield, Ia Mar 12, 1894; s of J E Brooks-Sarah Purdy; ed HS in Ia; Mexico Mo Mil Acad; Tarkio Mo Coll; Tarbox & Gordon Watchmaking Sch, Omaha; m Nina Short June 2, 1915 Greenfield Ia; s Don A; d Mary, Barbara, Nina; 1914 mgr jewelry dept Cornell-Howe Store, Greenfield Ia; 1915 Pur Cornell-Howe Jewelry Store, sold 1916; 1917 estab jewelry store in Sibley Ia; 1919 with S H Avey Jewelry Co, Auburn; 1921 with Harry Dixon Jewelry Store, North Platte; 1927 with Michelson Jewelry, Grand Island; 1929 watchmaker in Sutton Jewelry Store, McCook; 1936-opr Don Brooks Jewelry Store; Neb St Jewelers Assn; C of C; 1918 during World War joined 321st machine gun battery 82nd div AEF, disch June 9, 1919; C of C; Amer Leg, comm post 302; chaplain VFW; AF&AM, Greenfield Ia; hobby, raising chickens; off 107 West B; res 607 4th East, McCook.
BROWN, CHARLES HENRY: Florist; b Springfield, Ill July 23, 1867; s of W A Brown-Martha A Thomason; m Ruby Ray Lawver May 20, 1905 Atwood Kas; farmed in Rawlins Co Kas until 1912; 1912 estab McCook Greenhouses & Nurseries, started with 3 lots & 3 greenhouses, enlarged to 8 lots, 6 greenhouses, has complete floral service & nursery stock; maintains 25 agencies in territory adjacent to McCook; ships to all points in Neb; TDS; C of C; Meth Ch; Dem; hobbies, greenhouse & floral work; off 811 4th East; res 801 East 4th, McCook.
BROWN, MRS C H: Florist; b Thomas Co, Kas Sept 2, 1890; d of Samuel H Lawver-Mary Kate Morland; ed Rawlins Ca Kas; m C H Brown May 20, 1905 Atwood Kas; 1912 with husband estab McCook Greenhouses & Nurseries; in chg of off & designs work for co; Womans Club; B&PW Club; Meth Ch, steward, secy Ladies Aid Soc; Rep; hobby, flowers; off 811 4th East; res 801 East 4th, McCook.
CALDWELL, LEWIS E: Railway Superintendent; b Somerset Co, Penn 1881; s of David Caldwell-Katharine Heffley; ed Hebron HS; m Mae Steele 1902 Norton Kas; s Lewis E Jr, Gene D, Max S; d Helen (Mrs J R Metzger); 1900 clk CB&Q RR at Lincoln, 1927 supt in Omaha; 1931- supt of 775 mi of RR Hastings to Denver, hdqrs McCook; past dir C of C; past mbr Rotary; AF&AM: Scot Rite; Shrine; C of C; CB&Q RR Veterans Assn; Episc Ch; Rep; res Keystone Hotel, McCook.
CAMPBELL, GEORGE A: Locomotive Engineer; b McCook, Neb Sept 19, 18851; s of A Campbell-Mary Vaughn; ed McCook HS; U of N; Delta Tau Delta; 1905 fireman for CB&Q RR, 1909- engineer; past mbr sch bd; C of C; CB&Q RR Veterans Assn; B of L E; AF&AM; York Rite; Shrine; BPOE; Episc Ch; Rep; hobby, golf; res 412 1st East, McCook.
1Died Aug 7, 1989.
CAMPBELL, MRS GRACE B: Homemaker; b Strong, Neb Mar 4, 1891; d of Thomas B Miller-Evalina L Pierce; ed Auburn HS; PSTC 1912; m Dr, M Campbell July 19, 1917 Trenton; s John M (dec), Alexander M; d Evalouise; 1910-11 tchr in Nemaha Co; 1912-14 tchr of math & science, Trenton HS; 1914-19 prin Trenton HS, coach of girls basketball team; substitute tchr McCook Jr HS: OES; McCook Mothers Club, pres 1932-33; Meth Ch; hobbies gardening & reading; res 801 West B, McCook.
CAMPBELL, MRS LOUIE P: Retired; b Greencastle, Penn June 15, 1949; d of Henry Pooling Prather-Elizabeth Hostetter; ed pub & priv schs, Greencastle Penn; m McFarland Campbell Mar 10, 1875 Auburn: s James E (dec), Rush P (dec), McFarland; with sister & brother-in-law Mr & Mrs Joseph Strickler came to Neb in 1872, settled near Auburn; 1885-1919 lived on ranch W of Trenton; lived in Trenton 1919-24 & has made home with Dr & Mrs M Campbell son & daughter-in-law in McCook since 1924; owner of first sewing machine in her community; ch mbr First Presby Ch of Auburn, ch mbr Congl Ch, Trenton; DAR; ch mbr Degree of Honor; hobbies, quilt making, reading; husband was rancher & later mgr of livestock company; in Neb before state was opened to homesteaders; Hitchcock Co treas 2 terms; res 601 West B, McCook.
CAMPBELL, MACFARLAND: Veterinarian; b Trenton, Neb Dec 22, 1890; s of McFarland Campbell-Louise Prather; ed Trenton HS; Kansas City Veterinary Coll, DVS 1911; m Grace B Miller July 19, 1917 Trenton; s John M (dec), Alexander M; d Evalouise; 1911-18 veterinarian in Trenton; 1919-24 veterinarian in Trenton, 1924- prac in McCook; 1932-35 mayor of McCook; mbr Neb bd of examiners in veterinary med; state inspector of livestock salesbarns; mbr Neb St & Amer Veterinary Med Assns; during World War June 1918-May 4, 1919 with AEF 1st lt base veterinary hosp 2 St Nazaire France; chmn flood control com C of C; mbr exec bd South Platte C of C; dir Imperial Power & Irrigation Dist; AF&AM; Rep; hobbies, hunting & fishing; Mrs Campbell taught science Trenton HS 1912-19, prin 1914-19; off & res 601 West B, McCook.
CAMPBELL, MRS MARY A: Retired; b Albion, N Y Mar 1, 1857; d of Patrick Vaughn-Margaret Hickey; ed Council Bluffs Ia; m Alexander Campbell July 1880 Lincoln; s Norman J, George A (dec Aug 7, 1939), Bruce (dec 1938), Walter; was tchr in Council Bluffs Ia short time; OES; hobbies, knitting, cards; res 412 1st East, McCook.
CAYA, EDWARD LOUIS: Chamber of Commerce Secretary; b Cedar Co, Neb Oct 28, 1883; S of Louis M Caya-Lydia C Ozbun; ed Bloomfield HS; Bellevue Coll, Bellevue 1899-1900; U of N 1900-02; m Gretchen M Henry June 26, 1907 Sioux City Ia; d Marion R (Mrs H W Fortner), Harriette L (Mrs Lou Strongin), Janet (Mrs Dave Koon); 1901-26 opr grain & milling bus in Bloomfield; 1926-32 life ins agt Sioux City Ia & Omaha; 1932-35 RFC field man in McCook in chg of 8 counties: 1935- secy McCook C of C; 1920-21 secy Bloomfield drainage dist; past mbr Bloomfield city coun & sch bd; secy Knox Co Fair Assn 1928-25; VP Neb chapter U S 6 Roosevelt Highway Assn; Neb Assn of Comml Orgn Secys; mbr Knox Co draft bd during World War: hobby, reading; off Keystone Hotel Bldg; res 1406 Main, McCook.
CHENEY, LUKE H: Attorney; b Randolph, N Y June 27 1864; s of Matthew B Cheney-Lucy Stanley; ed Latin Prep Sch, Lincoln; U of N, 1887; U of Mich, BA & LLB 1889; m Clara Vance Nov 14, 1894 Laurens Ia; s Newel S, Wendell P; d Dorothy (Mrs Ray F Powers); 1889 prac law in Lincoln; 1891 prac law in Frontier Co; 1899-1909 & 1918-22 Frontier Co atty; 1923- prac in McCook; McCook city atty 1926. 1932, 1939; l4th Judicial Dist Bar Assn; past VP Neb St Bar Assn; 1919-23 mbr Amer Bar Assn; past mbr Neb St bd of agr; past secy Frontier Co Agrl Assn; pres McCook bd of edn since 1932, mbr since 1924; C of C; past mbr BPOE; AF&AM; past high priest RAM; past mbr Sesostris Shrine; Neb St Hist Soc; past trustee Congl Ch; Rep, past mbr Neb St Central Com; hobby, lodge work; off Penney Bldg: res 1006 Main, McCook.
CLAPP, HIRAM CORNELL: Metchant; b Allegan, Mich May 11, 1878; s of Irving Fletcher Clapp-Delora Alvira Sherwood; ed Allegan Mich HS 1895; m Cora Earl Aug 22, 1900 Allegan Mich (dec June 30, 1924); m Bertha Asian Lussen Nov 10, 1927; s Hiram Cornell; d Elsie Asten, Patricia Ruth; 1895-1901 bkkpr & clk John Stein & Co, Allegan Mich; 1901-02 mgr Groves Dry Goods Co, Stewart Ia; 1902 mgr John Grannis Dept Store, McCook; 1905-26 owner & opr The Store for Women in McCook; 1926-29 ret & managed real est ints, for time silent ptr in F Johnson Co; 1929- owner & mgr M C Clapp Womens, Misses & Children's Ready-to-Wear; during World War active in drives for funds; mbr lib bd; McCook & Neb Sr Hist Socs; past pres C of C; YMCA; past pres Kiwanis; dir Country Club; AF&AM; Tehama Shrine; Congl Ch, dir choir 20 years, presented pipe organ to church; hobby, civic interests; off 214 Main; res 705 East 1st, McCook.
COLGAN, JOHN GILBERT: Dentist; b Alma, Neb May 7, 1900; s of Peter Edward Colgan-Margaret A Kinsella; ed Alma HS; Creighton U, DDS 1921: FACD 1938: Delta Sigma Delta; m Julia Frances Real Oct 1, 1924 McCook; s Gilbert; d Geraldine, Margaret, Janet; 1921- prac in McCook; SW Neb Dist Dental Soc, past pres; Neb St Dental Assn, chmn exec com; ADA; past pres Neb Soc for Promotion of Dentistry for Children; secy of staff St Catherine's Hosp; mbr Woodbury Study Club, which meets twice annually at Creighton U for training in operative dentistry under Dr Charles E Woodbury; during World War in SATC at Omaha; past VP & past dir C of C; past pres Kiwanis; YMCA; BPOE; Amer Leg; Country Club; past grand knight KC; Cath Ch; hobbies, photography, farming; off Penney Bldg; res 912 1st East, McCook.
COLSON, DAN W: Building & Loan President; b Plainfield, Ill Mar 7, 1867; s of Judson Colson-Ellen E Wyatt; ed New Hampton Ia; m Fannie M Percy Sept 1890 Fond du Lac Wis; s Paul P; d Elsie E (Mrs Paul T Howe); 1884 with J M Simmons store in Wis; 1891 estab soap factory Aberdeen SD; 1891 estab Variety store, Coopertown S D; 1893 weigher for Cal Fruit Growers Assn; 1895 estab variety store, McCook; 1909- opr D W Colson Ins Agcy; 1921 org Home B & L Assn, pres since; ch mbr Rotary; ch mbr BPOE; ch mbr IOOF in N D; C of C; Neb Assn of B & L Assns; hobby, tax study; res 305 1st East, CcCook (sic).
CURRAN, MRS MABEL LYON: County Clerk; b Skidmore, Mo Feb 8, 1900; d of Jesse F Beverlin-Ellen Jane Hunt; ed Wray Colo; m Harvey Lyon July 17, 1921 Denver Colo (dec 1932); m Floyd J Curran Nov 12, 1938 Holdrege; s Harvey Eugene; worked way thru HS as clk Webster & Mason Dept Store, Wray Colo; 1917-19 clk in Divoll's Dept Store, Trenton; 1919-21 Hitchcock Ca dep clk; 1921-33 clk for C L DeGraff's Ready-to-Wear, McCook; 1934- Redwillow Co clk, register of deeds & assessor; past secy S W Neb Assn of Commrs & Clks; past Neb Assn of Co Commrs, Co Clks, Co Registers of Deeds & Co Highway Commrs; Comml Club; Amer Leg aux; mbr of bd Meth Ch; Dem; hobbies, homework, collecting poetry; off Courthouse; res 510 3rd West, McCook.
DENNIS, BEN A: Dentist; b Trenton, Neb Oct 4, 1897; s of Frank Dennis-Fannie Hinkle; ed Holdrege HS; Neb Wes; U of N, DDS; Sigma Phi Epsilon; Xi Psi Psi; m Mildred Wyman Feb 29, 1936 Hastings; d Patsy T; 1926- prac in McCook; during World War Dec 1917 served in 678th airplane squad, Kelly Field Tex, also Dayton 0, disch Mar 1919; Amer Leg; pres Redwillow Co Dental Soc; Neb St & ADA; C of C; past mbr Kiwanis; past exalted ruler BPOE; Meth Ch; hobbies, fishing, hunting; off Penney Bldg; res 1101 1st West, McCook.
DILLMAN, F EARL: Insurance & Loan Agent; b Curtis, Neb Sept 8 1889; s of Clarence B Dillman-Maren Whitham; ed Curtis HS; m Blanche Taylor May 28, 1913 Curtis; s Forrest; d Dorothy E (Mrs R W Gray), Blanche Elinor; 1903 bkkpr for State Bank of Curtis, later asst cash; 1915 org First State Back of Traer Kas, 1915-20 cash; 1920-22 with Farmers Elevator in Curtis; 1922-30 asst cash, Farmers & Mchts Bank, McCook; 1930- org & mgr McCook Finance Co; C of C; dir & treas Kiwanis; Neb Assn of Personal Finance Cos; treas Kiwanis; AF&AM; Congl Ch; Rep; hobbies, fishing, hunting; off 101 West B; res 1201 1st West, McCook.
DORWART, YULE W: Dentist; b Friend, Neb Nov 23, 1894; s of D Y Dorwart-Mary Andrew; ed McCook HS; Lincoln Dental Coll, DDS; Delta Sigma Delta; m Theresa Gatewood May 16 1918 McCook; s Yule G, John L; 1916- prac in McCook; during World War joined army June 1918, in depot brigade of dental infirmary, disch Dec 1918; SW Neb Dist Dental Soc; Neb St & ADA; C of C; Amer Leg; Country Club; hobbies, archery, golf, fishing, huntIng; off Reed Bldg; res 508 3rd East, McCook.
DRAKE, ELMER: Hardware Dealer; b Haddam, Kas July 22, 1883; s of Joseph Drake-Annie Caroline Fisher; ed Manhattan Kas HS; m Minnie Worrell May 1905 Alma Kas; d Marjorie M (Mrs Lester Olson); 1905-10 CRI&P RR station agt, McFarland Kas; 1910-13 mgr Theo Smith & Sons Lbr Co, Phillipsburg Kas; 1913-28 mgr Barnett Lbr Co, McCook; 1924- owner & mgr McCook Hdw; Mar 1937-Jan 1939 weather observer for United Air Lines; owns ranch in Dundy Co; Neb Retail Hdw Assn; Kiwanis; AF&AM; RAM; hobbies, hunting, fishing; off 108 West B; res 1211 1st West, McCook.
DUCKWORTH, FRED BARBOUR: President Telephone Co; b Terre Haute, Ind July 11, 1867; s of Bradley B Duckworth-Sue Cletner; ed Redwillow Co; m Virginia Chinn Apr 20, 1898 Indianola; s Howard, Homer M; d Edith (Mrs I C Beep), Ena (Mrs Bernard Harsch); 1887-93 asst cash Bank of Benkelman; 1893-96 in milling bus, Indianola; 1896-1907 prop drug store, Indianola; 1907-10 farmed in Redwillow Co; 1910-12 opr 20 A fruit & lemon ranch in San Diego Co Cal; 1912-16 farmed in Redwillow Co; 1916-19 opr gen store, Indianola; 1919-21 mgr various ints; 1921-33 mgr & treas Havana Tele Co at Indianola, 1933- pres; mgr of land holdings; mbr city coun; C of C; Dem; hobbies, billiards, fishing; res Indianola.
DUNBAR, JOHN FRANKLIN: Merchant; b Grand Island, Neb Mar 17, 1889; s of William F Dumbar-Elizabeth Mangan; ed Hastings HS: m Zella Osborn Sept 6, 1911 McCook; s John F Jr, Robert 0, Donald; d Mary Ellen; clk in Stein Bros store in Hastings while in HS; 1906-09 shoe clk A E Petty store, McCook; 1909-11 mgr Shenandoah Ia Shoe CO; 1911-18 mgr shoe dept King-Swanson Men's Clothing Co, Omaha; 1913-34 ptr in Dunbar & Osborn Shoe Store, McCook; 1934- owner & mgr Dunbar & Osborn Shoe Co; mbr sch bd 6 years; past dir C of C; AF&AM; RAM; Episc Ch, past sr warden; Rep; hobbies, hunting, reading; off 201 Main; res 406 1st East, McCook.
ELDRED, CHARLES E: District Judge; b Argyle. Wis June 30, 1870; s of Charles C Eldred-Euphemia Bunnell; ed HS in Wis; m Jessie A Platt Aug 18, 1892 Phillipsburg Kas; s William C, Charles P, John E; 1890 adm to Kas bar; 1890 came to McCook; 1902 Redwillow Co judge; 1903-07 Redwillow Co atty; 1920- dist Judge; 1901-03 mayor of McCook; past mbr Rotary; past mbr city coun; Neb St & Amer Bar Assns; AF&AM; KT; off Courthouse; res 1002 Main, McCook.
GREEN, EDWARD CLARK: Dentist; b Irving, Ill July 28, 1883; s of Warren Green-Mary Weldon; ed Medina N Y HS; U of Penn, DDS 1904; m Laura V Shoberg Jan 1919 Omaha; m Edna Cummins Jan 10, 1936 McCook; s Clark Odell, Warren Edward; d Mildred Mae; 1904-18 dentist, Springfield Mo; 1908-17 dentist, Kansas City Mo; 1917-31 dentist, Omaha; 1931- dentist, McCook; C of C; past esteemed loyal knight BPOE; past pres Country Club; past sr warden St Alban's Episc Ch; Rep; hobbies, fishing, hunting, golf; off 218 1/2 Main; res 908 3rd West, McCook.
HAMILTON, FRANK JAMES: Manager Telephone Co; b St Edward, Neb Sept 27, 1886; s of Ira M Hamilton-Clara M Watson; ed Plainview HS; m Mabel Cart Feb 9, 1919 Kenmare N D; s Kenneth Frank, Fredric Dean; d Leonra Clare, Beryl Irene; 1904 collector for Neb Tele Co, also trouble shooter, installer & combination man, Norfolk; 1909 homesteaded in Belle Fourche S D, also mgr of Neb Tele Co; 1910 combination man, Neb Tele Co at Lexington, 1911 wire chief, Wood River; 1912 1st class lineman for Mountain States Tele & Teleg Co, Sheridan Wyo; worked on horse ranch, Buffalo Wyo; became installer for Mountain States Tele & Teleg Co at Denver & Elizabeth Colo, 1913 mgr at Golden & Yampa Colo; 1914 lineman, Lincoln Tele & Teleg Co; 1914 combination man for Neb Tele Co, Wayne & Norfolk; 1915-20 combination man Northern Tele Co, Minot N D & other towns; 1920-21 wire chief Ainsworth Tele Co, Ainsworth & Northwestern Bell Tele Co, O'Neill; 1922 mgr Northwestern Bell Tele Co at West Point; 1923- mgr, McCook; Tele Pioneers of Amer; C of C; recd 1938 Rotary community service award, past pres & secy
Rotary; mbr NNG, Cos B & D 1907; dir YMCA; AF&AM; Bapt Ch; Dem; hobbles, Rotary, yard work; off Tele Bldg; res 1107 tat East, McCook.
HANSON, FRED T: County Judge; b Wakefield, Neb Feb 25, 1902; s of Pete, H Hanson-Hannah Ulrike Anderson; ed Wakefield; Bertrand HS; U of N, LLB 1925; Delta Theta Phi; Order of Coif; omHelen E Haddock Nov 12, 1928 Tulsa Okla; 1925- prac in McCook; 1927-30 Redwillow Co atty; 1931- Redwillow Co judge; past pres 14th Judicial Dist Bar Assn; judicial counsel; Neb St Bar Assn; dir of probate div, Amer Bar Assn, mbr natl conf of commrs on uniform state laws of property acts section, chmn of com on uniform act concerning secured creditors dividends in liquidation proceedings; author of Effect of Insolvency Proceedings on Creditors Right to Interest, Mich Law Review, June 1934; The Secured Creditors Share of an Insolvent Estate, Mich Law Review, Jan 1936, reprinted in Current Legal Thought, Feb 1936; Nonsuit Pending Trial De Novo on Appeal, Ore Law Review, Feb 1986; Insolvency--the Co-debtor as a Factor in Distribution, Mich Law Review, May 1987, reprinted in Current Legal Thought, July-Aug 1937; Contribution Between Multiple Co-debtors, Penn Law Review, Nov 1937, reprinted in N J Law Journal, Dec 1937; Contractual Limitations of Suretyship Protection of Pub Deposits--Effect of Statutes, Brooklyn Law Review, Mar 1939: C of C; past exalted ruler BPOE; YMCA: hobby, writing; off Courthouse; res 1204 Main, McCook.
HASTY, MRS JESSE W: Clubwoman; b Arapahoe, Neb; d of J T Utterback-Rebecca Jane Carter; ed Arapahoe HS; summer schs Beaver City & Elwood; m Jesse W Hasty Nov 22, 1899 Arapahoe; s John D, Waite, Earl, D Stanley; d Jeanne Corinne (Mrs F D Hagins), E Lucille (Mrs George C Hattori); 1897-99 tchr, Arapahoe schs; 1st VP; past pres, past treas of CB&Q RR Veterans Assn aux; past pres PTA city coun, past pres of 5th dist, del from Neb to natl convs in Cincinnati, Miami & Minneapolis; past pres NFWC pres & dept jr VP of DUV; past secy & past Pres Matinee Music Club; past extn chmn Neb Fedn of Music Clubs; past pres McCook Delphian Soc; past pres & relief secy Prairie Queen div 496, ladies aux to B of L E; pres Redwillow Co WCTU; gen supt of domestic arts Redwillow Co Fair; chmn com of Better Homes & Gardens in Amer apptd thru Washington; dir McCook ch ARC, mbr exec bd; dir McCook Assoc Charities; sponsored tree planting program in one of McCook's new city parks & active in behalf of YMCA bldg of Jr Coll; music chmn for McCook memorial auditorium, dedicated Nov 12, 1939; mbr Comm Co-op Concert Assn: chmn Christmas seat com 1939: Meth Ch, mbr of choir: WFMS; Rep; past pres Redwillow Co Central Com; hobby, club work; res 809 West 1st, McCook.
HEGENBERGER, FLOYD M: Masseur; b Curtis, Neb July 16, 1890; s of Herman Hegenberger-Jennie Boyer; ed McCook; La Salle Extn U, Chicago; Chicago Sch of Hydrotherapy & Swedish Massage; m Myrtle F Rupp June 19, 1909 McCook; s Herman James (dec), Leroy (dec); d Jean Ruth (Mrs D R McDonald), Doris June; 1905 machinist appr CB&Q RR; 1906 barber appr in McCook; 1907 oprd farm in Glenwood Ia; 1907-08 emp by Fred Bums, barber in McCook; 1909-19 prop & ptr in barber shop, 1918- prop of shop; 1938 estab mineral vapor bath salon in connection with barber shop; helped org Home B & L Assn; past chmn city coun; mbr cemetery com; C of C; past master AF&AM, dir Temple Assn 20 years; York Rite; KT; Episc Ch; past chmn Redwillow Co Rep Central Com; hobbies, fishing, hunting, gardening; off 213 Main; res 902 1st West, McCook.
HERMAN, ROY ARTHUR: Funeral Director; b Osceola, Neb May 25, 1906; s of A J Herman-Hanna Timm; ed Osceola HS; U of N; U of Cincinnati Coll of Embalming; Sigma Phi Epsilon; to Leona Lenhart Aug 25, 1930 Beatrice; s John A; d Helen S; 1929 with Gene Bush-Herman Funeral Home, Tecumseh; 1930 with Herman-Simms Funeral Home, Beatrice; 1931-36 with Gregg-Herman Funeral Home, McCook; 1935- with Pade-Herman Funeral Home; C of C; Past Pres Kiwanis: BPOE: AF&AM: OES; UCT; Meth Ch; Rep: as 1104 West 1st, McCook.
HERTZ, CHARLES E: Freight & Passenger Agent: b Trenton, Neb Mar 13, 1890; s of John W Hertz-Delia E Maloney; ed Trenton HS; m Dollie E Hurst July 15, 1922 McCook; s Phillip D, Hale W; 1908-11 teleg opr, Trenton; 1911-12 teleg opr Platen, Colo; 1912-14 freight & passenger agt at Yuma Colo, 1914-16 agt at Trenton, 1916-20 agt at Traer Kas; 1920- freight & passenger agt, teleg opr in Indianola; 1930-32 mayor; treas sch bd 4 years: ORT; C of C; past finance secy KC; Cath Ch; Dem; hobby, hunting; res Indianola.
HODGKIN, JAY VERNE: Osteopath: b Bartley, Neb Oct 23, 1898; s of Harry P Hodgkin-Jessie E Stephens: ed McCook HS; Des Moines Still Coll of Osteopathy, DO: Phi Sigma Gamma; m Virginia M Bledsoe Dec 10, 1926 Des Moines; d Janet Ann: 1925-28 prac in Benkelman; 1928-36 prac with Dr F L Montgomery, McCook; 1936- prac indep; C of C: secy Rotary; S W Neb Dist Osteopathic Assn; Neb St & Amer Osteopathic Assns: AF&AM; York Rite; hobbies, fishing, hunting, amateur movies; off 201 1/2 West B; res 1310 2nd West, McCook.
HOLMES, FRANK L: Superintendent of Schools; b Chesterfield, England Aug 12, 1903; s of Simon Holmes-Rachel Cousins; ed Chesterfield England HS; Sheffield U; Graceland Coll, Lamont Ia, AA; Iowa Sr Coll: U of Kas, BA, BSc 1929; U of Cal; U of N; Northwestern U, MA; Lambda Delta Sigma; m Carol A Gillen Aug 29, 1927 Independence Mo; s Roland Gillen; d Frances Aileen, Janice Virginia, Carol Joan; 1925-28 prin & coach, Springfield: 1928-30 supt Bennet schs; 1932-36 supt Central City schs; 1939- Supt of McCook schs & pres McCook Jr Coll; Neb Schoolmasters Club; Rotary; Rep; res McCook.
HORMEL, BEN F JR: Auto Dealer; b Austin, Minn Jan 19, 1914; s of B F Hormel-Flora Kaufmann: ad Austin Minn HS: Principia, St Louis; Grinnell Ia Coll; U of Penn, BSc; past pres Phi Kappa Psi; m Thelma Lowe Feb 25, 1937 Plainview Tex; 1928 with father Ben F in Hormel Packing Co, Austin Minn while in sch; 1937 with Hulac Chevrolet Co of Omaha; 1938- owner & mgr Hormel Chevrolet Co, McCook; C of C; Omaha zone Chevrolet Dlrs Assn; Neb & Natl Auto Dlrs Assns; Rotary; BPOE, Omaha; hobby, golf; off Chevrolet Garage; res 1208 1st East. McCook.
HOYT, CHARLES EDWARD: Hardware Dealer; b Hitchcock Co, Neb June 3, 1900; s of James L Hoyt-Priscilla Bobinmyer; ed McCook HS; U of N, BSc 1921, mbr football team 1918, mbr wrestling team 1919-21, capt 1921; m Helen Edgecombe Aug 28, 1924 Estes Park Col.; s John Edgecombe; d Joan Priscilla; 1921-23 ranched in Hitchcock Co; 1923-25 athletic coach & history tchr, McCook HS; 1925- ptr of L W Jennings in Jennings & Hoyt Hdw Store; with mother opr 1720 A ranch in Hitchcock Co; Neb Retail Hdw Assn: VP city bd of edn; past pres C of C; pres Rotary; past exalted ruler BPOE; AF&AM; RAM; R&SM; KT; Country Club; mbr of bd, Meth Ch: Rep; hobbies, farming, livestock; off 117 Main; res 401 1st East, McCook.
JAGGER, LEE F: Railway Conductor; b Galesburg, Ill July 31, 1889; s of James Jagger-Frances Weidenhamer; ed Galesburg Ill HS; Browns Bus Coll, Ill; LaSalle Extn U; m Edna Glaze Sept 1913 Holdrege; s Eldon; d Harriett: m Lucy I Witham Apr 1938 McCook; 1906 helper on freight platform & timekeeper for construction gang CB&Q RR, 1907 yard checker in Galesburg Ill, 1907-15 brakeman at McCook, 1912 asst depot agt in Denver: 1915- conductor; ORC; CB&Q RR Veterans Assn; AF&AM; York Rite; RAM: KT; Shrine; Meth Ch: Rep; hobby, reading; res 509 2nd East, McCook.
JAMES, WALTER D: Attorney; b Council Bluffs Ia Apr 17, 1897; s of Walter D James-Minnie Mitchell; ed Brush Colo HS; U of Colo 1914-15; U of N, LLB 1919; Phi Alpha Delta; Order of Coif; m Louise B Weicher Sept 10, 1919 Denver Colo; s Walter D Jr, Vincent R, Phillip S; d Muriel L; 1915 chemist Great Western Sugar Co, Brush Colo; 1918 timekeeper CB&Q RR; adm to Neb bar May 26, 1919; 1918-20 secy to Hon James R Dean, justice of Supreme court of Neb; 1920-23 with Lambe & Butler, attys, Cambridge; 1923-39 in firm of Butler & James, McCook & Cambridge; Jan 1939- mbr firm Butler, James & McCort, McCook & Cambridge; past pres 14th Judicial Dist Bar Assn; mbr exec coun, past VP Neb St Bar Assn; past VP Amer Bar Assn; 1928-34 Cambridge city atty; 1932 Furnas Co atty; 1935-36 McCook city atty; C of C; past dir McCook Rotary; Past Pres Cambridge Rotary; McCook Tennis Club; Country Club; Presby Ch; Rep; hobby, tennis; off Reed Bldg 301 1/2 Main; res 1708 N Main, McCook.
JAQUET, JAMES RENE: Manager of Light & Power Co; b St Imier, Switzerland Jan 31, 1888; s of August Emile Jaquet-Adele Fete; ed Falls City HS; Iowa Sr Coll 1914-15; m Kate Falloon Aug 27, 1923 Falls City; s James R Jr, Edwin F; 1892 came to Amer; 1908-25 ptr of father
in A E Jaquet Jewelry Co; 1925 salesman Neb Light & Power CO, McCook; 1926-32 mgr Gothenburg Light & Power Co; 1932- gen mgr Neb Light & Power Co, McCook; gen mgr Gothenburg Light & Power Co, hdqrs McCook; during World War in SATC at U of N & Lafayette Ind; C of C; past pres Kiwanis; pres YMCA; Amer Leg; AF&AM, Falls City; RAM; past patron OES; dir Country Club; Meth Ch; Dem; hobby, photography; father was watchmaker in Horton Kas, 1898 established jewelry bus in Salem, 1899 moved to Falls City; off 412 Main; res 802 1st East, McCook.
JENNINGS, LOYD WOOD: Hardware Dealer; b McCook, Neb May 8, 1886; s of John Byron Jennings-Vina Beckstead; ed McCook HS; m Lorene Calhoon June 7, 1914 McCook; 1904-15 in supply dept CB&Q RR, McCook; 1915-20 in hdw bus, Wauneta; 1925- co-owner & opr Jennings-Hoyt Hdw Co, formerly H P Waite & Co; past pres Neb Retail Hdw Assn; past mbr city coun; mbr city bd of public works; past dir C of C; past master Wauneta AF&AM; RAM; KT; Episc Ch, trustee; Rep; hobbies, fishing, hunting; off 117 Main; res 1105 1st West, McCook.
JOHNSON, JAMES RICHARD: Junior College Dean; b Youngstown, Mo May 30, 1898; s of W L Johnson-Jennie Etella Henry; ed Kirksville Mo HS & St Tchrs Coll; Amer Extn U; U of Mo, BSc, LLB, MA; Kappa Delta Pi; Phi Lambda Epsilon; Sigma Tau Gamma; Phi Delta Kappa; m Cecile Ethel Croson May 15, 1921 Kirksville MO; s James Richard Jr; b Barbara Etella, Donna Elizabeth; 1921-23 prin, Unionville Mo HS; 1923-25 supt of schs, Granger Mo; 1926 org McCook Jr Coll, first pub jr coll in Neb; 1926- dean of Jr Coll; during World War enl May 20, 1917, co I 34th inf, 7th div, O/S Aug 1, 1918-June 1919, disch June 26, 1919; past reserve ofcr U S chemical warfare service; past mbr Amer Chemical Soc; past comm Amer Leg; past pres S W Neb Schoolmen's Assn; past secy dist 5 NSTA; NEA; pres Amer Colleges & Universities 1933-34; past pres Kiwanis; listed in Who's Who in Amer Edn, Nebraskana 1932; AF&AM; Congl Ch; hobbies, hunting, fishing, woodwork; off Jr Coll; res 1302 Main, McCook.
JOHNSON, WALLACE L: Music Teacher; b Lamartine, Wis June 11, 1868; s of Chilion F Johnson-Sarah Jenner; ed Fox Lake Wis HS; Downer Coll, Fox Lake Wis; Northwestern U Sch of Music, grad work 1890; m Florence A Sherwood July 1, 1903 Central City; d Mildred A (Mrs 0 M Berve); Margaret A (Mrs J C VanValin); 1891-1910 piano tchr, Blair & Omaha; supvr of music in Blair schs; 1910-26 instr in piano, pipeorgan, band in Holdrege, also dir Holdrege Comml Club Band, supvr of music Holdrege schs & organist at auditorium, music dir & organist Holdrege Meth Ch; org Music dept of Blair schs, past band dir, ent band 4 seasons in Ak-Sar-Ben Parade, band led parade 2 seasons; 1926- piano instr in McCook; AF&AM, Holdrege; RAM, Blair; OES, McCook; organist 12 years Kiwanis; organist Meth Ch; hobby, music; res 510 West 1st, McCook.
JONES, MRS BLANCHE: Insurance Agent; b McCook, Neb Dec 18, 1890; d of Benjamin F Bowen-Hattie Clark; ed McCook HS; m Bryce Quayle Jones June 6, 1917 McCook (dec Nov 28, 1918); s John Francis; 1933- owner & opr Blanche Jones & Son Ins Co, McCook; C of C; past pres Womans Club; treas & past regent DAR; past noble grand Rebekah; OES; treas of Dorcas Soc Congl Ch, treas missionary soc; ancestors came to Amer on Mayflower; off Penney Bldg; res 1012 2nd East, McCook.
JONES, DWIGHT S: Merchant; b Steilacoom, Wash Sept 21, 1891; s of Will Jones-Jessie Dwight; ed Fremont HS; Fremont Normal; m Corinne Schneider Dec 25, 1915 Fremont; 1911-16 clk with John Knowles Shoe Co, Fremont; 1916-17 with various shoe stores; 1918-23 with Scottsbluff Clothing Co; 1922-25 in Cal; 1925-32 with E C Chitwood enterprises, McCook; 1932- ptr of Earl Wheeler in Vogue Clothing Co; C of C; BPOE; Prot; hobby, gardening; off 124 Main; res 1311 2nd West, McCook.
KAY, ELMER: Clerk of District Court; b Sullivan Center, Ill Apr 18, 1878; s of Zachius L Kay-Sarah E Brown; ed McCook HS 1895; first person to complete course of McCook pub schs from 1st to 12th grades, halfback on 1st McCook HS football team, mbr first HS orchestra; m Zylpha Gunter Jan 1, 1903 Chicago Ill; s Elmer Jr; d Elizabeth P (Mrs E L Roraima), Lois V; 1896-1899 bkkpr, ore buyer, Picher Lead Co, Joplin Mo; 1900-02 teller, Miner Bank in Joplin; 1902-06 asst cash, paymaster & chief auditor WellsFargo Express Co, Chicago; 1907-11 mgr Comml Hotel & CB&Q RR eating house, McCook; 1912- clk of dist court, Redwillow Co; 1920- secy & managing ofcr Redwillow Co Fair Assn; 1920- dir McCook Co-op Bldg & Savings Assn; dep clk U S dist court, McCook div; U S commr dist court, dist of Neb; C of C; AF&AM; RAM: BPOE; Western Horse Breeders Assn; Rep; hobbies, breeding & training fine horses, breeder of Kent Bumpus, record 2.01 3/4, fastest harness horse ever bred in Neb; breeder of Jimmy Bumpus, record 2.03 1/2 winner of fastest 3 heat race ever paced in Kas; off Courthouse: res 310 2nd East, McCook.
KELLEY, JOHN ELMER: Attorney; b Birmingham, Ia Nov 12, 1862; s of William Kelley-Martha Davis; ed Ia; m Nora M Clark Apr 18, 1885 Phillipsburg Kas; s Charles William; clk U S land offs in Kirwin Kas & McCook until 1885; estab bus as land atty, abstractor & realtor; June 23, 1890 adm to bar in dist court of Redwillow Co; Apr 6, 1886 elec city clk of McCook; 1895-1925 served intermittently as mayor of McCook; 1924 del to Rep natl conv, Cleveland; exalted ruler BPOE; off 316 Main Ave; res 316 1/2 Main Ave, McCook.
KLEIN, JACOB L: Building Contractor; b McCook, Neb Aug 30, 1895; s of Jacob Klein-Anna Walker; ed McCook; m Anna Lazetta Seifert Mar 19, 1919 Norfolk; s Richard Allen; d Marian Frances, Jean Mildred; 1911-14 delivery boy & clk in J Wilcox Groc Store, McCook; 1914-19 carp in Casper Wyo, Norfolk & McCook; 1919- gen bldg contr, hdqrs in McCook, built approximately 275 homes in McCook, also business & public bldgs; during World War in U S N Aviation service 9 mos; C of C; past vice-comm Amer Leg; BPOE; Congl Ch; hobby, hunting; res 1502 Main, McCook.
KLEVEN, LEROY: Railroad Dispatcher; b Culbertson, Neb Feb 28, 1881; s of John E Kleven-Bertha Halverson. ed Culbertson HS; m Nina Doan Feb 18, 1903 McCook; s John E; 1897 teleg student with CB&Q RR at Culbertson, 1898 teleg opr Wray Colo & Culbertson, 1899 teleg opr at McCook, 1902- train dispatcher, McCook; mbr City coun since 1932; C of C; Amer Train Dispatchers Assn; CB&Q RR Veterans Alan; AF&AM; Shrine; Chris Sci Ch; Rep; hobbies, golf. fishing, hunting; res 911 East 1st, McCook.
KNOX, W E: Surgeon; b Attalla, Ala Nov 22, 1884; s of W E Knox-Anna Letitia Moore; ed Anniston Ala HS; Ala Polytechnic Inst, Anburn; Tulane U, New Orleans La, MD; Kappa Sigma; Alpha Kappa Kappa; m Lucy Frewen Jan 12, 1910 Norcatur Kas; s W E III, Arthur Manuel Hertzler; d Virginia Elizabeth, Mary Ann; 1909-21 prac Norcatur Kas, built & oprd Norcatur Hosp: 1921- prac in McCook, staff mbr St Catherine's Hosp: past pres S W Neb Med Soc; Neb St & AMA; past dir Rotary; AF&AM; York Rite; Shrine; BPOE; Presby Ch; Dem; hobby, dogs; off First Natl Bank Bldg; res 905 Main, McCook.
KOLER, A A: Railway Engineer; b Omaha Neb May 4, 1887; s of Joseph Koler-Mary Brush; ed Bellevue HS; Bus Coll, Red Cloud 1905; m Viola Jean Nielsen June 2, 1937 McCook; d Monta Irene, 1904-05 with L P Albright Furn & Undertaking Co, Red Cloud; 1906-11 CB&Q RR fireman, McCook; 1911-12 fireman CB&Q RR in Denver; 1913-19 engineer CB&Q RR at Denver, 1920- engineer, McCook; during World War joined U S army Apr 23, 1918, with 31st engineers Co A, O/S 13 mos, disch July 1919; Amer Leg; VFW; Past mbr CB&Q RR Veterans Assn: vice chmn gen com B of L F & E, legislature mbr; BPOE; AF&AM; Chris Ch; Dem; hobby, study of RR pension act; res 503 East 2nd, McCook.
KORF, LESTER J: Grocer; b Sigourney, Ia July 28, 1891; s of J H Korf-Matilda Kadel; ed Sigourney Ia HS; m Mabel E Hegenberger July 21, 1912 McCook; s Wayne J; 1939 clk C L DeGroff & CO, McCook; 1915- opr & mgr groc bus; past dir C of C, chmn retail com; VP McCook Co-op B & L Assn; AF&AM; KT; Maccabees; ARC; past steward Meth Ch; Dem; hobbies, collecting stamps & old money, woodwork; res 411 East 4th, McCook.
KROGH, HARRY M: Bank Cashier; b Howard Co, Neb Feb 26, 1898; s of C T Krogh-Chrlstine Hansen; ed Dannebrog HS; m Verda M Darby Aug 19, 1922 Chappell; s Harry M; d Jacqueline; 1916-18 clk Amer State Bank of Omaha, 1919-21 asst cash; 1922 with Fred E Bodie, Omaha; 1923-24 bkkpr Consumers Oil & Coal Co of Omaha; 1925 with Metropolitan Life Ins CO, Omaha; 1926-31 with Farmers & Mchts State Back, McCook; 1931 in Wash & Ore; 1932 with Lincoln Liberty Life Ins Co & Omar Baking Co, Omaha; 1932-
Second part (Larmon-Wood)
Who's Who in Nebraska (introduction & directory, list of abbreviations)
Visit Red Willow County website
© 1999, 2000, 2001 for the NEGenWeb Project by Ted & Carole Miller