Geographical and Physical Features | Early History|
Organization | County Statistics | Official Roster|
Schools | Railroads | Historical Incidents
David City: Schools | Religious | Societies | The Press|
Ulysses: Local Interests | Banks | Schools | Press | Societies | Religious | Biographical Sketches|
Rising City: Biographical Sketches|
Brainard: Biographical Sketches|
Bellwood: Biographical Sketches
Miscellaneous Biographical Sketches
List of Illustrations in Butler County Chapter
FOUNTAIN H. ANGLE, dealer in general merchandise, David City. He came to Nebraska in the fall of 1873, and located at David City, and opened the first general merchandise stock in that town, and has not only the pioneer store in David City, but the largest stock of general merchandise, and does more business per annum than any other store in Butler County. Mr. Angle has served as Postmaster of David City four years, and also member of village trustees for two terms. He was a soldier in the late war; enlisting at La Fayette, Ind. in the One Hundred and Fiftieth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Company H. in 1864, and served until the close of the war. He was born in Putnam County, Ind., May 31, 1845; was married in the State of Iowa to Miss Susan C Dale.
AYRES & McCOLLOM, dealers in drugs, books and news. This firm was established in November, 1880. They have a fine large store-room 80x25 feet, and well filled with all kinds of goods generally kept in a first class drug store, and everything being so neatly arranged as to compare with most of the drug stores in our large cities. These gentlemen are affable business men, and first class citizens. They have such pleasing manners, that when once a person goes there to trade, they are sure to give them a second call. John A. Ayers, Jr., of the above firm, was born in Henry County, Ill., April 28, 1848. Robert M. McCollom, of this firm, was born in Lee County, Ill., in 1854; is son of Robert S. and Elizabeth McCollom, who were among the first settlers in that county, came there as early as 1848.
WILLIAM G. BASTON, hardware dealer, David City. This gentleman came to Nebraska in August, 1877, and located at David City, and opened the first special hardware store in the county, where he has continued since, first starting with a small stock and in a small building, and has gradually grown with the town and county, and has now one of the largest stores in the county, and is one of the first merchants of David City. He has served as member of the Town Board two terms. Was born in the State of Pennsylvania November 7, 1847. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Fidelity Lodge, No. 51; also of Lincoln Chapter and Commandery. He is now chief of the Fire Department of David City, being elected to that position in the fall of 1881. Was married to Miss Anna L. Jordan, in the State of Iowa in the year 1876, she being of Illinois.
RILEY V. BEACH, Principal of David City Graded School and ex-County Superintendent of Public Schools. Came to Nebraska in the fall of 1870, and settled on homestead on Section 20, in Union Precinct, and was the first school teacher in that town. Was elected County Superintendent in the fall of 1879, and is now local preacher for the M. E. Church at David City. Was born in Delaware County, Ohio, November 29, 1842. Enlisted in the late war in August, 1862, in the One Hundred and Thirteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company B., and served nearly three years. Was captured at the battle of Guntown, Miss., and was prisoner of war nine months. He is a member of the G. A. R., and is now Senior Vice Commander of Lincoln Post, No. 10, at David City.
JAMES BELL, lumber, grain dealer and President of the Merchants' and Farmers' Bank, David City. Mr. B. was born in the county of Cavan, Ireland, in 1844. Was married to Miss Rachel McMillen in 1868, and emigrated to Nebraska the same year. Mr. B. took up a homestead on the Platte Valley in Polk County, his nearest neighbor being twelve miles distant. He tells some amusing stories of the bounding deer and antelope coming right into his door yard. Mr. B. opened up and ran a successful farm for six years, at the same time filling the office of School Superintendent for Polk County four years, during which period he organized thirty-seven school districts. Mr. B. moved to David City, Butler County, in 1876, and started the first lumber yard in the county, hauling forty-two car-loads of lumber from Schuyler by wagon, nearly all of which was consumed in building up the town. Mr. B. is about to commence the erection of a large steam elevator for grain and feed. Mr. B. good humoredly acknowledges himself the butt of a practical joke perpetrated upon him by an old ranchman whose love of "the make" corrupted his sense of honor somewhat. Mr. B., ignorant of the proper time to break up the prairie sod, sought information of his ranch host, who blandly but earnestly told him, that the first days of October was just the season to "break" for wheat sowing in the spring, and that he would be pleased to accommodate Mr. B. by doing the work for -- cash in advance. To all this Mr. B. agreed, getting his ten acres of virgin prairie sod turned over during the month of October. It is hardly necessary to state that Mr. B. did not sow his ten acres of wheat in the spring. Mr. B. is a wide-awake, intelligent Scotch Irishman, has experienced a good deal of pioneer life, living in and teaching school in sod houses, etc. Of his early associations with Nebraska and Polk County, especially, he feels justly proud, and his faith in the bright prospect of Nebraska's future is only excelled by his successful realization of the past.
EZRA BUFKIN, M. D., came to Nebraska in 1877; located at David City; was a graduate of Physio-Medical College of Indiana, February 12, 1874. Was born in Henry County, Ind., in 1847, June 15. He is a member of the Physio-Medical Society of Indiana, and is one of the leading physicians in Butler County, and has a very extensive practice in the county. He also practiced dentistry, and has an office in David City.
WILLIAM M. BUNTING, of the firm of Bunting & Runyon, real estate dealers, David City. Mr. B. came to Nebraska in June, 1870 and took up a homestead on Section 32, Franklin Precinct, Town 15, Range 3, and was one of the very first settlers on what is known as the Table Lands of Butler County. Here he resided until the fall of 1873, where he was elected to the office of County Treasurer, and then moved to David City. This office he held two terms, and in the spring of 1878 opened his present business. Mr. B. was a soldier in the late war of the rebellion, enlisting in August, 1862, at Mercer County, Ill., in the One Hundred and Second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company G. and served until the close of the war. He was wounded at the battle of Resaca, Ga., in the left side, which disabled him from active service about five months. He is a member of A., F. & A. M., Fidelity Lodge, No. 51; also a member of the G. A. R., and was charter member of Lincoln Post, No. 10. He is also a member of the Congregational Church. He is a native of Pennsylvania. Was born in Lancaster County November 25, 1838. Was married in Illinois, in the year 1871, to Miss Anna M. Maury, daughter of Dr. J. A. Maury, who was a very early settler of Mercer County, Ill. She is also a member of the Congregational Church, and is at present Clerk of that church society.
CAPT. ARCHABELL F. COON, postmaster at David City, came to Nebraska in the spring of 1870, and next spring came to Butler County; homesteaded a place on Section 30, Town 15, Range 3, in Franklin Precinct. Was the gentlemen that named the precinct after Hon. Benjamin Franklin, and was among the first settlers in Franklin Precinct. He was a member of the Second Board of County Commissioners, also the founder of the post office at David City, which was first located in Town 14, Range 3. Name of post office Ollie. This office was moved to David City in 1874. He remained on his farm until 1881, when he was appointed Postmaster again. He served as a soldier in the late war, enlisting at Pittsburgh, Penn., as Second Lieutenant in the Fourth Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry, Company E, in August, 1861, and was in active service until November, 1864, during which time he was commissioned to the office of Captain. He was born in Pennsylvania January 9, 1817. He was a charter member of the G. A. R., Lincoln Post, No. 10, and was one of the first in instigating the society at David City. He is also one of the organic members of the M. E. Church society of David City, which held their first meeting at his house, and was their Sunday-school Superintendent for a number of years. He also served as President of the Butler County Agricultural Society the first four years of its existence. Mr. Coon was married to his first wife, Miss Rebecca Meredith, in 1842, in the State of Pennsylvania, who died in 1862, by whom he had six children. Was married to his present wife, Rebecca Ross, of Pennsylvania, in 1866, by whom he has one son.
STEPHEN CLINGMAN, lawyer, abstracter and real estate agent, David City, came to Nebraska in 1879, and located at David City, where he completed the first set of abstract books in Butler County. He was admitted to the bar to practice law in Iowa in 1872 at Iowa City, where he was a graduate of the State University in the law department. Was born in Stephenson County, Ill., August 9, 1845. Enlisted in the late war in the One Hundred and Forty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, in 1864, and served until the close of the war. He is a member of the G. A. R., Lincoln Post, No. 10. He is also Justice of the Peace of Franklin Precinct.
FRANK DAVIS, County Treasurer of Butler County, came to Nebraska in 1870, and took up a homestead one mile south of the present town of David City, on Section 30, Town 15, Range 3, Franklin Precinct, and was one of the first settlers on what is known as the table lands of Butler County. Mr. D. followed farming until the year 1875, when he moved to David City and started clerking for Dean & Son in a general merchandise store, where he remained until 1877, when be was elected to his present office, which important office he has been elected for the third term. He is a member of the A., F. & A, M., and was one of the charter members of Fidelity Lodge, No. 51. He is also a member of the I. O. O. F., and also a charter member of Harmony Lodge, No. 31. He is also one of Nebraska's first citizens who served in the late war, enlisting in the Eighty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company F. at Maquon, Knox County, in August, 1862, and served three years. Is also a member of the G. A. R., Lincoln Post, No. 10. Mr. D. was born in Ohio, Highland County, May 10, 1845. Was married to Miss Jennie Walter, in Illinois, March 13, 1865.
SAMUEL N. DREW, dealer in dry goods, clothing, etc., came to David City in the fall of 1877, and started the store where he now is. Has a fine, large storeroom, 60x20, well filled with the very choicest goods in his line. Was born in Boston, Mass., September 23, 1849. Was engaged as traveling commercial agent in the New England States for ten years previous to coming West. He was one of the charter members of the Knights of Honor Lodge at David City.
JOHN W. EGGNER, grain dealer and proprietor of David City stone yard. This firm ships over 150 car loads of grain per annum, and receives about fifty cars of cut and building stone per annum from Roca, Neb. Mr. E. came to Nebraska in 1870, and took up a homestead on Section 26, Town 16, Range 1 east, Alexis Precinct. Here he resided until 1877, when he moved to David City and started to buy grain for J. C. Morrisey, of Columbus, and was the first grain buyer in the town. In the spring of 1879, started to buy for himself. Was born in the State of New York in March, 1845. Was married in Alexis Precinct, in 1873, to Miss Hattie Johnson; they were the first couple married in that town.
JAMES R. FENLON, Sheriff of Butler County, came to Nebraska in 1871 with his parents, Nicholas and Mary Fenlon, who opened a farm on Section 22, Town 15, Range 3 east, Franklin Precinct. Here James remained working on his father's farm until 1874, when he came to David City, and started to learn the blacksmith trade, and afterward ran a shop for himself up to the time of his election to the present office in the fall of 1881. He was also the first elected Marshal of David City when it had a city charter. Was born in Illinois April 10, 1854. He is a member of the Catholic Church of David City.
JOHN W. GROSS, cashier of Butler County Bank, David City, was born in Johnson County, Iowa, June 11, 1859. He was a student of Iowa College, Iowa City, and was a graduate in the commercial department in 1877;, and in April, 1878, came to Nebraska, locating at David City, and was soon afterward appointed Deputy County Clerk, under B. F. Rolph, where he was engaged from July, 1878, to November, 1879; since which time he has been connected with the Butler County Bank; was married, February 15, 1881, to Miss Mary Hermann, of Vandalia, Ill. Mr. G. is one of the pioneer young men of the State, and has always filled his responsible position with great respectability and trust.
ADAM HALL, livery and sale stable and stock-raiser, David City, came to Nebraska in 1870, and located first near Lincoln, but remained there but a short time, and in February. 1871, moved to Butler County and took up a homestead on Section 25, Township 14, Range 4, in Oak Creek Precinct, where he kept a stock ranch and farmed. Here he resided until 1880, when he moved to David City, and started in the business he is now in. He has served as a member of County Commissioners of Butler County two terms. He served one year in the late war in the Twenty eighth Iowa Volunteer Infantry. Company B. when he was discharged on account of disability of health; was married to his first wife in the State of Indiana, who died in 1859; was married to Miss Nannie Bozarth, who was a native of Virginia.
JOSEPH A. HARR, dealer in farm machinery, David City, came to Nebraska in 1871, and located in Schuyler, Colfax County, where he took up a homestead and lived there for five years, and in 1877 came to David City and started in his present business, and is one of the oldest firms in David City. He was born in the State of Maryland February 1, 1848.
CHARLES E. HEWETT, insurance agent, David City, came to Nebraska in March, 1872, and took a homestead in Furnas County. Soon afterward moved to Fremont, where he engaged in teaching school, which occupation he followed for twelve terms. In 1877, he moved to David City, and opened an office of insurance agency, which business he has continued since, and is now one of the pioneer agents of Butler County. Mr. H. was born in Maine January 30, 1853, has served as City Clerk of David City for two years; was married to Miss Mary Smith of Iowa, in 1878.
ALLEN JILLSON, jeweler, David City, was born in Schoharie County, N. Y., May 3, 1845; came to Nebraska in 1869; stayed but a short time, returned East, and then, in 1871, came back and took up a homestead on the same section where he now lives. His brother, Harvey, was also born in Schoharie County, N. Y. and is about twelve years Allen's senior; had preceded him three years and was one of the first Justices of the Peace in Butler County. Mr. J. has been engaged teaching school in Butler County during the winter and working at farming in the summer. He was the first to receive a second grade certificate for teaching in the county, and among the first to receive first grade; was married, at Fremont, Neb., in 1875, to Miss Maggie J. Porter. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.; now engaged in the jewelry business at David City, Neb.
HENRY W. KELLER, of the firm of Keller Brothers, family grocery store, David City, came to Nebraska, with his parents, in September, 1866, and took up a homestead on Section 18, Township 16, Range 1, in Alexis Precinct, then called Pepperville Precinct. Here he remained until 1877, when he moved to David City and started their present business, in company with his brother, which was among the first business in the town. He was born in Stephenson County, Ill., October 19, 1847; was married, November 2, 1872, to Miss Sarah J. Kent of Platte County. Mr. K. was one of the first settlers of Butler County.
EDWARD B. LEONARD, cashier of Merchants' and Farmers' Bank David City. Mr. L. came to Nebraska, and located at David City in 1877, when be engaged as book-keeper and assistant cashier of the Butler County Bank, which position he held until 1879, at which time he helped organize the above named bank, and has been the cashier since the bank was started. He is an old-time banker, having had over twelve years experience at the business. He was born in Cass County, Ill. November 11, 1852. Mr. L. is one of the leading business men of David City, and has the confidence of the entire public in all his business transactions. This bank has the indorsement of the well-known National Bank of Omaha, Murray Hill Bank of New York, and also of Preston, Kean & Co., Chicago.
JAMES S. MALOY, dealer in farm machinery and real estate, David City. He came to Nebraska in 1870, and first located in Lancaster County, on Section 2, in Highland Precinct, where he resided until he came to David City, which was in the spring of 1878, and has made his home there since; was born in Boston, Mass., February 18, 1817; was a sailor on the foreign seas for over twenty five years with merchant ships. In December, 1861, he enlisted in the war of the rebellion, in the Nineteenth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, at Milwaukee, and served until the close of the war; was in all of the principal engagements of the Army of the Potomac. He is a member of the G. A. R., Lincoln Post, No. 10.
ELI R. MANLEY carpenter and builder, David City, came to Nebraska in 1869, and located at Ashland, Saunders County. Here he worked at his trade until the fall of 1870, when he came to Butler County, and built the first dwelling-house in David City for J. C. Wunderlich, and has since been connected with building of most of the principal houses in the town, and superintended the building of the David City Schoolhouse. He is a member of A., F. & A. M.; was born in Pennsylvania July 27, 1823; was a soldier in the Mexican war, and served over three years in the war of the rebellion, enlisting in Putnam County, Ill., in Forty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Was married to Miss Mary J. Buckley, in 1850, in Pennsylvania.
MATT. MILLER, attorney at law and insurance agent, David City, came to Nebraska in the spring of 1870, and started farming in Savannah Precinct; followed it but a short time, when he failed in health, and went back East; but, being so pleased with the new and enterprising State, after his recovery, in about eight months, he returned to Nebraska, with the determination of making his home there, and commenced his farming again during the summer, and in winter he taught school, and reading law books, which he followed until the spring of 1879, when he moved to Schuyler, Neb., and, finishing reading law, was there admitted to practice March 23 1881, before Judge Gaslin, who was sitting in place of Hon. George W. Post. In June, this same year, he moved to David City, and opened his first office for practice. Mr. M. is a native of Scotland; born in the city of Glasgow February 9, 1850. Was graduate of Commercial College at Portage City, Wis., in 1867. Was married in Savannah Precinct, Butler Co., Neb., by Rev. Cyrus King, to Miss Sarah C. Whipps, June 24, 1873.
THOMAS J. MURPHY, M. D., David City, first came to Nebraska in 1868, and located in Pawnee County. He received a common school education in the city of Dubuque. Iowa, also started reading medicine in that State, but did not take a course of lectures until the winter of 1873-74, when he attended the Eclectic Medical Institute at Cincinnati, Ohio. He was graduate of St. Joseph, Mo., Northwestern Medical College in winter of 1881. He had commenced to practice at David City, in March, 1877, was born in Ireland, March 25, 1842. He is member of Northwestern Medical College Alumni Association, at St. Joseph, Mo., and is now Vice President. He is also a member of the Catholic Church, and was one of the original members of the society at David City. He was also a soldier in the late war of the rebellion, enlisting in 1862 at Lansing, Iowa, and was afterward commissioned to First and Second Lieutenant.
FRED W. PADDOCK, general merchandise, of the firm Paddock & Schweser, David City; came to Nebraska in 1877, and located at Columbus, where he clerked in general merchandise store for G. C. Morresey. Here he remained until November, 1877, then moved to David City, and went in partnership with Jacob Reinhardt. He continued with him until January, 1880, when the present firm was organized. They now do a business of about $25,000 per annum. Mr. Paddock is a native of Germany, being born November 11, 1840, and emigrated to the United States the same year he came to Nebraska. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at David City.
G. HIAL PEEBLES, M. D., came to Nebraska in 1870, and bought some land near where the present village of David City now is, and, in 1873, moved his family to David City, where they have resided since. He received his literary education at Milton, Wis., and graduated at Rush Medical College at Chicago, in January, 1864, and also at Medical College at St. Louis in 1868, also receiving ad eundem degree. He is a member of the State Medical College Society, and is Professor at the Omaha Medical College and Disease of Children, and adjunct of Diseases of Women, where he delivered two lectures every week. He is a member of A., F. & A. M., and one of the original members of Fidelity Lodge, No. 51, at David City, also of the Chapter, Council and Commandery. Was married at Edenburg, Ill., in 1877, to Miss Mary Halford. The Doctor was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., December 26, 1840. He is one of Butler County's first citizens, and has always worked for the best interest of his town and county.
HUBBELL PEPPER, general merchandise store at David City, Neb. He was one of the early settlers of Butler County, who came to Nebraska in 1865, and located in the northwest corner of Butler County. Took up a homestead on Section 10, Town 16, Range 1 east, in Pepperville Precinct, which was named after him. Mr. P. was elected the first County Clerk of Butler County in 1868, and served three terms. His first term he held his office at his house, as the county had not built a court house. The second term he moved to Savannah, as that was the first location of the county seat. In the fall of 1874, the county seat was removed to David City, the now present county seat of said county, Mr. P. being the first family to remove to David City that winter. Mr. P. went into partnership with F. H. Angel, and opened the first general merchandise store in the town. He enlisted in the late war, at West Union, Iowa, in 1862, in Company F, Thirty-eighth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war. Born in Luzerne County, Penn., August 11, 1841. Is a member of G. A. R., Lincoln, No. 10, at David City. He was married to Miss O. E. Boydston, at Lincoln, in the year 1865. Their family consists of three sons--Fred H., Arthur S. and Ray E.
HON. BENJAMIN O. PERKINS retired farmer, real estate dealer at David City. He came to Nebraska in the year 1869, and located in Butler County, Bone Creek Precinct, Section 4, near the village of Savannah, then the county seat of Butler County. Here he resided until the fall of 1870, when he was elected to the office of Probate Judge of Butler County, and was also the second Probate Judge-elect of Butler County. Upon taking his seat of office, he moved to Savannah, in which official duty he served two terms. In the fall of 1873, when the county seat was moved to David City, Mr. P. was compelled to move his family to the above office, and abandoned his farming, and has continued to take up his abode there since, and has always been an active worker in the general interest of the country and town. He also served as the first Mayor of David City, when the town received her city charter. which she held for two years, and then went back to the old town charter. Mr. P. is a native of Illinois, being born in Morgan County, January 3, 1825, but was raised and educated in Iowa. He was married, in Warren County, Iowa, to Miss Maggie A. Wilson, of that State, by whom he has brought up a family of three children--Minnie, Maggie and Bennie. Mr. P. is a member of I. O. O. F. Harmony Lodge, No. 31, of David City, and also the Temple of Honor.
SOLOMON PERKINS, farmer Section 18, Town 15, Range 3 east, Franklin Precinct, P. O. David City. This gentleman came to Nebraska in 1869, and located on Section 22, Town 16, Range 3 east, in Bone Creek Precinct, and was the first man to settle near what is known as the Platte Bluffs, in Butler County. Here he took up a homestead, where he continued to live, pursuing his farming for thirteen years, then moved to the place where he now lives, where he has a fine farm of 240 acres. Mr. P. was one of the original members of the First Baptist Church Society of Butler County. Was married in Warren County, Iowa to Miss Sarah M. Jackson, daughter of William Jackson, who was also one of the early settlers of Butler County. Mr. P. was born in Illinois November 6, 1846. He enlisted at Indianola, Iowa, in Company A, in the Forty-eighth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, in 1864, and served until the close of the war. They have three children, viz., William L., Elvannah, she being one of the first children born in Butler County, Ivan S., all of whom are now living. They also had one daughter, Mary. who died in March, 1874. This is one of the families that suffered as all settlers did at the time of the grasshopper plagues, droughts, etc.
JACOB REINHARDT, of the firm of Reinhardt & Son. dealer in general merchandise, David City, came to Nebraska in 1869, and located in Lancaster County, in Centerville Precinct, on the old Mormon trail. Here he followed farming until 1877, when he moved to Butler County and located at David City, and went in partnership with J. C. Wunderlich in the meat market, which was the first in the town. This he ran in company with Mr. W., when he sold out and went in the general merchandise trade with F. W. Paddock, and continued with him until January, 1880, when he sold out, and then in April, 1880 started up where he now is with his son John W. Jacob was born in Germany February 19, 1828. Emigrated to the United States in 1847. Was married at Muscatine, Iowa, to Miss Martha A. Mark in June, 1850, who was also born in Germany, by whom he has seven children, six sons and one daughter.
GEORGE W. REYNOLDS, Marshal and Deputy Sheriff of Butler County, came to David City in 1879 and started farming, which he followed for one year, then was appointed City Marshal, and, in November, 1880, was elected Constable, and, in January, 1882, was appointed Deputy Sheriff under James Fenlon. Was born in Oneida County, N. Y., June 19, 1854. Was married to Miss Josephine Henish, of Iowa, November 7, 1880.
JAKE C. ROBBERTS, attorney of David City, Butler Co., Neb., was born at Grinnell, Poweshiek Co., Iowa, October 2, 1850. He is the son of Rev. James Fletcher and Roxanna Robberts, who settled in Poweshiek County, Iowa, in 1848. He attended Western College, in Linn County, Iowa, one year, and Simpson Centenary College, at Indianola, Warren Co., Iowa, four years. After leaving college he settled on a farm in Decatur County, Iowa, in which county he was made Deputy Treasurer of the county; was twice elected to the office of County Superintendent of Schools for the county; was admitted to practice law in March, 1873, before Hon. James W. Hewett, Circuit Judge. He married Miss Sallie C. Martin, of Leon, Iowa, on December 23, 1873; moved to David City, Butler Co., Neb., in January, 1877, and commenced practicing law. In 1880, Mr. Robberts was elected to the Nebraska Legislature from Butler County, and served in the Sixteenth Session, in 1881, from the Fifty-first District, including Butler, Colfax and Platte Counties. He was Chairman of the Committee of Railroads. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of the A., F. & A. M., Fidelity Lodge, No. 51, David City, also a member of the I. O. O. F., at David City. Is also a member of the firm of W. J. Cordner & Co., who own a large cattle ranch two miles from David City, and breed Short-Horn Durham cattle.
WILLIS T. RICHARDSON, surveyor of David City, came to Nebraska in the spring of 1868, and took up a homestead on Section 27, Town 13, Range 4, Richardson Precinct, and was the first settler in the precinct and among the first in that part of the county. Mr. Richardson was the first County Surveyor of Butler County, and held that office for eight years. He surveyed out the town of David City in the spring of 1873. He was born in Durham, Conn., July 20, 1849; was married in Lincoln, Lancaster Co., Neb., in 1869, to Miss Mary E. White. They are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
LOUIS SMITH, harness and saddle manufacturer of David City, came to Nebraska in 1874; located in David City and started to work for Mr. H. T. Hawes in 1875; went in partnership with Mr. Hawes in 1876; in 1878, Mr. Henry Will bought out Mr. Hawes and went in partnership with L. Smith, and on January 1, 1880, Louis Smith bought out Henry Will, and has since run the shop himself, which is the pioneer shop in Butler County. His shop is 20x40; is well filled a with stock of ready-made horse clothing, etc. Besides, Mr. Smith is one of the general men of his trade; is always at his bench working to keep a supply on hand of the very best of work. Mr. Smith was born in Temsdorf, Meahren, Austria, September 8, 1854; emigrated to America in 1874. He was married, January 22, 1879, to Miss Velma Smithson, of Illinois.
FRANK A. SNOW, hardware dealer, came to David City in March, 1880, and opened business where he is now. Although Mr. Snow is but a recent settler in Nebraska, he has soon become one of its leading citizens, and has the largest stock of hardware in Butler County. He is also agent for the United States Express Company. He also does all kind of manufacturing in tin ware, and considerable jobbing trade throughout the county. He was born November 12, 1854; was married in Iowa, to Miss Hortense Cassett, daughter of E. R. Cassett, President of the First National Bank of Pella, Iowa.
EUGENE B. TAYLOR, District Clerk of Butler County, came to Nebraska in 1871, and took up a homestead in Summit Precinct. He worked at improving his farm, etc., until 1880, when he was elected to his present office, when he moved to David City. He served three years as a soldier in the late war, enlisting at Keokuk, Iowa, June 10, 1861 in Company K, Third Iowa Volunteer Infantry; received a slight wound in his left side, and was also a prisoner for a short time. He is now a member of the G. A. R., and was a charter member of A. Lincoln Post, No. 10, and has served as its Adjutant for six years. He was born in Jackson County, Mich., August 17, 1837; was married in Iowa, in 1866, to Miss Lela A. Thayer. Mr. Taylor passed through Nebraska in 1859, in a trip across the plains, and forming a favorable impression of the State at that time, it induced him to go there and settle in 1871.
WILSON A. WELLS, lumber merchant, David City, came to Nebraska in 1869, and first located at Omaha, where he engaged in a lumber yard as salesman, etc., for six years; then moved to David City in the fall of 1877, and opened a yard for himself; is now the oldest lumber merchant of David City, Mr. James Bell being the first to start a yard, but has been out of the business since September 19, 1877. Mr. Wells received the first cars of lumber over the Union Pacific Railroad to David City and is now receiving over one hundred cars of lumber per annum. Mr. Wells is a native of Michigan; was born February 24, 1847.
ALBERT WILDE, boot and shoe store, David City; came to Nebraska in May, 1875, and settled at the above place, and opened the first shoe store in the town, where he has continued business since. Was born in Germany December 25, 1852; emigrated to the United States with his parents, who first located in Wisconsin, where the subject of this sketch resided until he came to Nebraska. He is one of the original members of the Catholic Church society at David City. Was married, February 7, 1879, to Miss Fannie Mareck, who was born in Wisconsin.
[STOCK RANCH OF ROBBERTS, WESTOVER & WILLIAMS & W. J. GARDNER.]
WILLIAM H. WESTOVER, lawyer, of the firm of Robberts, Westover & Williams, at David City. Mr. Westover was admitted to the bar in May, 1879, before the Hon. George H. Post, in Butler County, is a native of the State of Iowa, being born March 19, 1858; came to Nebraska with his parents in the spring of 1870, who located at Lincoln. He was a student of the State University at Lincoln for five years. The above firm are also proprietors of one of the largest stock farms in Butler County, where they have a herd of nearly two hundred head of graded cows for breeding purposes.
LORENZO D. WILGUS, lawyer, Justice of the Peace and Police Judge, David City. Lorenzo D. Wilgus came to Nebraska in 1879, and located at David City, where he finished reading law, and was admitted to the bar in December, 1881. He enlisted in the One Hundredth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, Company A, generally known as the Round-Head Regiment, on March 4, 1862, and served over two years, when he was discharged on account of disability (of health) incurred while in the service. He is now Pension Agent, and prosecutes claims from several different States. He is a member of A., F. & A. M., Fidelity Lodge, No. 51, and I. O. O. F., Harmony Lodge, No. 31. Was born in Fayette City, Fayette Co., Penn., October 27, 1842. Is also a member of G. A. R., A. Lincoln Post, No. 10, and Corresponding Secretary of Butler County (Neb,) Immigration Society. Lorenzo D.'s grandfather was the original founder and instigator of the U. P. R. R., from Omaha to the Pacific Coast, and drew a chimney corner map of the same route, that is now the main line of the road, in 1844, which said map is still to be seen among the records of the United States Senate.
HENRY WILL, proprietor of Commercial Hotel, David City. The subject of this sketch came to David City, and the State of Nebraska, in 1877, and, in October, 1880, took charge of the Commercial Hotel, where he has remained since, and which is the largest and best hotel in Butler County; has full and complete compartments for the accommodation of the commercial travelers, and Mr. Will is well known as the popular landlord in the West. He was born in Prussia June 9, 1839; emigrated to the United States in 1866. Was a soldier in the Denmark and Prussian war. Was married, in Illinois in 1868, to Miss Fannie R. Wynt, who was born in New York City, by whom he has three children, viz., Martha M., Fannie R. and Annie M. He is a member of the Knights of Honor at David City.
EUGENE WRIGHT, bakery and confectioner, David City. Came to Nebraska in 1869, and took up a homestead in Alexis Precinct, then called Pepperville Precinct; then located on Section 28, Township 16, Range 1 east, and was among the first settlers in that town. He first came out and made his claim in August, 1869, then returned in November (same year), and has been a citizen of the county since, moving to David City in the fall of 1877, and started clerking for S. N. Drew, and, in 1879, started in the bakery trade, which was the second bakery in the town. Eugene is the son of O. W. and Salley S. Wright; the latter died at David City July 5, 1881. He was born in Michigan, Branch County, in 1849. Was married at Savannah, Butler County, in 1873, by Judge B. O. Perkins, the second Probate Judge of the county, to Miss Phoebe E. Wagoner.
JACOB C. WUNDERLICH, of the firm of J. C. Wunderlich & Co., furniture dealers, undertakers, etc., etc. Mr. W. came to Butler County in the spring of 1869, and first started at farming on Section 32, Town 14, Range 3, in Center Precinct, and moved to David City in 1874, and opened the first meat market in the town in the spring of 1876, which he ran about two years, when he sold out, and was then appointed agent, and sold lots in the winter of 1876. The present firm was organized in December, 1881. He enlisted, in 1862, in the late war of the rebellion with the Thirty-fifth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, Company C. He was born in Germany April 23, 1841. He is a member of the M. E. Church at David City, and is one of the active business men of the town. Mr. Daniel E. Coleman, of the above firm, came to Nebraska in 1871, and also took up a homestead on Section 20, Town 15, Range 2 east, Olive Precinct. Was born in St. Clair County, Ill., June 5, 1844, also serving three years in the late war in the Eighty-third Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company C, and is also a member of the M. E. Church.