Part 2: County Seat Contests | Official Roster | County Buildings
Railroads | County Associations
Part 3: Storms and Other Calamities | Statistics of Progress
Harvard: Early History | Corporation
Part 4: Harvard (cont.): Official Roster | Educational | Religious
The Press | Post Office | Fires | Lodges and Societies
Part 5: Harvard (cont.): Hotels | Banks | Manufacturing
Part 6: Sutton: Population | Buildings | The Railroad War
Part 7: Sutton (cont.): Clark's Square | Official Roster
Educational | Religious | The Press | Post Office
Part 8: Sutton (cont.): Orders and Societies | Hotels | Banks
Professional | Manufactories | Progress
Part 9: Sutton (cont.): Biographical
Part 10: Edgar: Incorporation | Educational | Religious | The Press
Post Office | Societies | Hotels | Banks
Part 11: Edgar (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Fairfield: Incorporation | Educational | Religious
Part 12: Fairfield (cont.): The Press | Post Office
Lodges and Societies | Hotels | Banks | Progress
Part 13: Clay Center: Biographical Sketches
Glenville: Biographical Sketches
Sheridan Precinct: Biographical Sketch
List of Illustrations in Clay County Chapter
The first public house in the town of Harvard was erected in 1872, by E. W. Dimick and Bradford Stone, and was called the Harvard House, but has since changed to Commercial. The building, after its completion, was sold to Ira. F. Pearsall. The house now stands unoccupied, except by the myriad vermin which infest its walls.
Previous to the erection of this house, however, a sort of place of public accommodation was kept by F. M. Davis in one of the houses belonging to the railroad company.
In the winter of 1872-73, Jacob Goehring, erected a small house where the Metropolitan Hotel now stands, which he ran as a public house. This building was afterward moved from its location, and at present is occupied by a saloon belonging to Goehring.
On the ground occupied by this building, Goehring began the erection of a large hotel in the summer of 1879, which he completed that year and opened for the accommodation of guests. Goehring, after running it for a time, rented the building to J. B. Spafford, and he and the hotel were run in very good style by his wife, and most everything that guests of pliant associations desired were usually supplied. After Mrs. and Mr. Spafford gave up the house, possession was taken by E. P. Church, the present proprietor.
The next house built for public accommodation was the Grand Central Hotel, which was erected in the summer of 1881 by D. T. Phillips, and this house, although newly started, is fast growing into popularity for its excellent accommodations.
Harvard numbers among its monetary institutions two banks. The first of these was established in the city on February 1, 1878, by L. A. Payne and W. A. Farmer, under the firm style of L. A. Payne & Co. Farmer died in the fall of 1880, and on the 1st of April of the next year a new firm was organized, consisting of L. A. Payne, W. H. McBride and J. R. Penfield. The institution is private and has a cash paid-up capital of $20,000, with deposits of about the same amount. A banking building was erected in the fall of 1878, and is a two-story brick, substantially constructed. The building was remodeled in 1880, specially fitting it up for banking uses. In connection with a regular banking business, the firm are also engaged in general insurance, steamship agencies, and deal in general exchange, both foreign and domestic.
The Exchange Bank was established in December, 1881, by Edward Updyke and L. J. Titus. Previous to this the firm had been engaged in the broking business, which they abandoned for the purpose of banking. The cash capital of this institution is $35,000. This also is a private bank, and as a financial institution is on a solid basis and is conducted on fair and business principles.
As a manufacturing village, Harvard makes no pretensions. But, at so early a period in the existence of the place, little, or rather nothing, in this line could be, in justice, expected. Yet a start has been made in this direction in the establishing of the White Lion Flouring Mills. The mill was built in October, 1879, and was completed and ready for operation in December of that year. The capacity of the mills is forty-five barrels of flour per day, besides from 120 to 150 bushels of feed, and is engaged in a custom and merchant trade, making large shipments to Chicago, besides doing a general trade in the State. The mills have three run of stones and are run by steam power.
JOHN D. BAIN, of J. D. Bain & Co., dealers in lumber, coal, etc., was born in Scotland in 1844, emigrating with his parents to America at the age of two years, and resided on a farm in Ogle County, Ill., until he enlisted in September, 1861, in the Fifty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving until July 11, 1865. He then went to Inkster, Wayne Co., Mich., where he was employed in mercantile business with his uncle for some three years. Mr. Bain came to Nebraska in April, 1868, locating in Lincoln; was for two years engaged in mercantile business in company with his brother, R. A. Bain; then for a short time was employed in the lumber business. He came to Harvard, March 22, 1873, and engaged in the lumber business in company with E. H. Birdsall; two years later, Mr. Birdsall retired, and Bain conducted the business alone until December 12, 1879, when he was joined by his Uncle Robert Inkster, of Michigan. Mr. B. has also been engaged in mercantile business here in company with M. J. Pike since October, 1880. The subject of our sketch was married at Lincoln, Neb., in April, 1870, to America Jones, a native of Ohio; they have two children living--Ellen and Edith.
TRUMAN A. BARBOUR, attorney at law, Harvard, Clay County, Neb., was born in Norfolk, St. Lawrence County, N. Y., May 26, 1846. About the year 1848, his parents removed to Russell in said county, and some five years later to the adjoining town of Pierpont, where he remained with his parents on a farm until he became twenty-one years of age, surrounded by such associations, and enjoying the limited educational advantages incident to limited means and the early settlement of a timbered country. At the age of twenty-one, he learned the trade of carpenter and builder, and was employed in this capacity until he came to Lincoln, Neb., in the month of April, 1872, and the following June to Clay County, where he located at Harvard, and pre-empted 160 acres of land in Inland Precinct. Continuing his trade at Harvard, and, in the year 1874, opening out, in addition to his other business, an office for the general transactions of real estate, insurance and collection business; he devoted his leisure time to the reading of law under the direction of County Judge E. P. Burnett, and somewhat later with the Hon. John D. Hayes, until he was admitted to practice at the bar at the term of the District Court, commencing at Sutton May 21, 1878, since which time he has given up the pursuits of his trade and devoted his time to the business of his profession. Mr. B. was early identified with the organization of Harvard as a village, having held the offices of Treasurer, Assessor, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, and at the changing to an organization of a city of the second class in April, 1879, he was elected Police Judge, but soon resigned not wishing to perform the duties of this office. Having never married, we leave him to the glowing surroundings of a bachelor's life, and the pursuits of a profitable and well-merited business.
ROBERT G. BROWN, attorney at law, was born at Marshall, Clark County, Ill., October 4, 1848, and was reared on a farm. He began the study of law at eighteen years of age, and was admitted to practice May 23, 1870, at Marshall. He came to Nebraska in the spring of 1871, homesteading eighty acres in Sutton Precinct, Clay County, residing on the same for about a year. In the fall of 1871, he began the practice of his profession at Sutton. Mr. B. was elected Treasurer of Clay County at its organization, October 14, 1871, for a term of one year, and Mayor of Sutton in the spring of 1879. He was Delegate from the State to the Republican National Convention of 1876. Is a member of the Nebraska State Bar Association. Mr. B. was married in Marshall, Ill., May 4, 1881, to Ella B. Constable of that place; they have one daughter--Alice M.
WILLIAM D. COOK, proprietor of White Lion Flouring Mills, was born in Hertfordshire, England, in 1855; he learned the trade of carriage builder there, serving as an apprentice some five years. He emigrated to America in 1870, locating in Washington County, Wis., was for four months employed at his trade at the town of Young America; then millwrighting in various States, until he came to Nebraska in the spring of 1874, locating in Hamilton County. Has since engaged with his father, Charles S. Cook, in conducting a large sheep-breeding ranche. In October, 1879, he came to Harvard, built these mills and has, in connection with his ranche, carried them on since.
THOMAS J. DOWD, watchmaker and jeweler, was born in Ireland in 1839, immigrating with his parents to America in 1845. He resided for a short time in the city of New York, and afterward at Waterford, Racine Co., Wis. He learned the trade of watchmaker and also that of jeweler and engraver at New Orleans, serving some three years. On April 17, 1861, he enlisted in Company M, Third Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the battles of Winchester, Cedar Mountain, Gettysburg and many others, and was mustered out July 14, 1864. After this, he returned to Waterford, Wis., and engaged in business as a watchmaker and jeweler, carrying on business there some years. Mr. Dowd came to Nebraska in 1871, at which time he homesteaded 160 acres in Linn Precinct, Clay County, and in April, 1873, removed his family on to the same; they only resided in that precinct a short time, removing to Harvard. In April, 1873, Mr. D. established himself in his present business in a small way. In July, 1879, he opened a branch store at Aurora, Neb.; discontinuing this March 26, 1881, he, in the following October, opened a branch store at Hastings, Adams County, which he still continues, carrying a stock there and at this place of about $7,000; both of his stores are handsomely fitted up with fixtures that cost over $1000. He has had a practical experience in this business of about twenty-four years. Mr. Dowd has also been connected with many other business enterprises in this place. He was married at Waterford, Wis., in 1866, to Mary J. Malone, a native of Massachusetts; they have seven children--Thomas J., Jr., Andrew W., Annie, Ellen, James E., Richard and Joseph.
A. T. GILCHRIST, of the firm Gilchrist Bros., grocers, Harvard, was born in Washington County, N. Y., in 1850. He began business life at the age of fourteen years, being employed as a clerk in grocery business, for some years. He then conducted a grocery business, at Fort Edward, N. Y., for three years. He came to Harvard, Neb., and established present business, April 17, 1879, in company with his brother, O. F. Gilchrist. They carry a fine stock, worth about $5,000, and do a large and rapidly increasing business.
JOHN D. HAYES, attorney at law, was born in Livingston County, N. Y., August 24, 1842. He enlisted in November, 1861, in Company I, First Regiment Berdan Sharp Shooters; was wounded in the left foot, at the battle of White Oak Swamp, and mustered out in April, 1863, on account of disability. He read law for about two years at Genesee, N. Y., and was admitted to the bar in the Supreme Court, in Rochester, N. Y., December 4, 1865, and in February following began the practice of law, at Alma, Mich., removing to St. Louis, Gratiot Co., Mich., in the spring of 1868; continued to practice there until he came to Nebraska, July 10, 1870; locating in Grand Island, Hall County, at once began practicing in that place. He was admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of the United States, at Omaha, in 1872. In 1873, Mr. H. opened a branch office in Harvard, and February, 1878, closed out his business at Grand Island, and resolved to reside here. While residing in Grand Island, was elected Probate Judge of Hall County, entering upon the duties of his office in January, 1876, resigning the same in February, 1877. He was elected Superintendent of Public Instruction in November, 1872, holding the office until the end of 1875. Was appointed United States Commissioner in 1872, and still holds the office.
HENRY J. KELLER, manufacturer and dealer in boots and shoes, Harvard, was born in Switzerland in 1851, emigrating to America, with his parents, in 1855. Resided in Michigan, and learned the trade of shoe-maker in St. Clair County, serving an apprenticeship of two years, and followed the same for a living until he came to Harvard, in May, 1873, since which time he has been engaged in present business. This is the oldest establishment house in this line in the place. He also deals in sewing machines. Mr. K. was married in Harvard, January 14, 1877, to Antonia Rodner, a native of Germany. They have three children--Gertrude, Arthur and Susan.
DAVID T. PHILLIPS, proprietor of the Grand Central Hotel, Harvard, was born in Erie County, Ohio, March 7, 1838, and sixteen years later removed to Henderson County, Ill., and a few years later into Iowa, being employed in working on a farm, etc.; then in the same capacity in Warren County, Ill., for two years; after which he was for some years employed in the coal business in Clarion County, Penn. Returning to Illinois, he was engaged in merchandising in Jefferson County, until he came to Nebraska, in July, 1878, at which time he engaged in general merchandise at Harvard, retiring two years later on account of ill health. Early in 1881, he built his present hotel building, and opened the same for business in June of that year. He keeps a good hotel, and has accommodations for some thirty guests. In the fall of 1879, Mr. P. was elected Clerk of the District Court for a term of four years; he also held the office of Justice of the Peace for three years, and was Police Judge for one year.
LUCIEN A. PAYNE, banker, Harvard, was born in Perry County, Ill., in 1841, removing when quite young, with his parents, to Whiteside County, and was reared on a farm. His first business occupation was teaching school, after which he was employed as a clerk in mercantile and lumber business, on the Mississippi River for four years. In 1868, was appointed Deputy Clerk of Whiteside County, and filled the office for four years, subsequently removing to Texas; was for eighteen months engaged in the mercantile business. Returning East, he entered the employ of the Hall Safe and Lock Company. He had charge of their branch business, in St. Paul, Minn., some eight months; afterward was general agent for Nebraska. After leaving their employ, came to Harvard and engaged in the banking business, February 1, 1878, in company with W. A. Farmer. His partner died October 16, 1880, and after conducting the bank alone for six months, he associated with him W. H. McBride and J. R. Penfield, and the business is now conducted under the firm name of L. A. Payne & Co. Mr. P. was appointed Treasurer of the town of Harvard, in 1879, and still holds the office. His is also a Notary Public.
JAMES RICHARD, blacksmith and repair-shop, Harvard, was born in Scotland July 10, 1847. He learned the trade of blacksmith, serving an apprenticeship for some four years. He came to America in May, 1873, and resided in Paterson, N. J., employed two years at his trade; then followed his trade in Fort Henry, N. Y., and Whitehall and Joliet, Ill. He came to Harvard, Neb., in June, 1877, and at once engaged in the business, which has largely increased. In the fall of 1881, he erected his large, handsome shop and added machinery run by a wind-mill, with power equal to three horses, and is doing the largest trade in his line in this place.
JOHN F. SAWTELL, dealer in general merchandise, Harvard, was born in New Hampshire, August 24, 1834, residing on a farm until twenty years of age. He then went to Boston where he was for two and a half years employed in teaming, etc., and also for four years as warehouseman. Subsequently engaged in grocery business, at North Cambridge, Mass., for a year, and for four years in boot and shoe business in Boston. Afterward represented the Gold Medal Sewing Machine Company for six months in Michigan. Mr. S. then went to Lynnfield, Mass., and was engaged in the manufacture of boots and shoes, until he sold out to come to Nebraska in August, 1872. Locating in Harvard Precinct, on a homestead of eighty acres, he was, for some years, engaged in farming, and also for three years engaged in dealing in agriculture implements. In August, 1877, he engaged in mercantile business, and has continued it since. Mr. S. was married in Boston, December 31, 1865, to Addie A. Jamieson, a native of Bangor, Me. They have three children--John S., Addie K. and George C.
C. J. SCOTT, contractor and builder, was born in Canada March 1, 1846; removing to "Eau Claire, Wisconsin," he learned the trade of carpenter, with "S. M. Bangs," for whom he worked five years, and followed his trade there until he came to Nebraska, in November, 1877. Locating in Harvard, was for a few months employed as a journeyman carpenter. In July, 1878, he began business as a "contractor and builder." Among the many leading buildings he erected here, are the Congregational Church, a portion of "L. A. Payne & Co.'s" Bank, and a large number of dwelling houses--the Starkey store building; C. Forman's house; I. P. Howard's drug store; Gilchrist Bros.' store; finished up Methodist Episcopal Church and portion of L. A. Payne & Co.'s bank; J. D. Dowd's store; Congregational Church; McKinzie House; and a large number of other dwelling houses. Followed his trade there until he came to Nebraska, employed as foreman by N. B. Rundle; built the County Court House, which cost $85,000, and many other of the best buildings in Eau Claire. When Harvard became a city, he was elected Councilman of the Second Ward; served one year, and the city went back to a village.
SAMUEL C. SLOAT, Postmaster, was born in Mount Morris, Genesee County, N. Y., in 1840, and some years later removed with his parents to Clinton County, Mich., residing on a farm until he enlisted, in April, 1861, in the Eighth Ohio Infantry, serving three years and three months, after which he farmed in Clinton County for five years, and was variously engaged in that county until he came to Nebraska in April, 1871--homesteading 160 acres in Lincoln Precinct. Clay County; farmed the same for about five years. Came to Harvard in 1876, and was appointed Postmaster January 29, 1877, and about that time also engaged in book and stationery business, which he still conducts, in company with Ezra Brown. Mr. S. was married at Mapleton, Clinton County, Mich., April 22, 1866, to Lucetta S. Birmingham, a native of New York. They have one son--George R.
LOUIS STEIN, dealer in agriculture implements, was born in Germany in 1835, and served some years at the trade of harness-maker. Immigrating to America in 1852, he followed his trade in the Southern States for several years. In 1858, he settled in Bloomington, McLean Co., Ill., and was engaged in general merchandise business, afterward conducting a soda factory, and also a brewery. He came to Nebraska in 1872. Homesteading eighty acres in Lynn Precinct, Clay County, resided on the same for a short time. In 1873, he engaged in the grocery business in Harvard, carrying it on for about five years, during which time he also conducted a meat-market. In 1876, he was appointed agent for the McCormick Harvesting Machine Company at this place, and the year following engaged in his present business. He deals in all kinds of farming implements, machinery, etc. Mr. S. was married in Bloomington, Ill., in 1861, to Caroline Frey; she died in 1863, leaving two children--Herman and Clara. He was married a second time in Bloomington, Ill., to Katharine Schmidt. They have two children--Edmund and Otto.
LISCOME J. TITUS, of the firm Updike & Titus, proprietors of the Exchange Bank, was born at Princeton, N. J., November 18, 1841, and was reared on a farm. He enlisted, August 26, 1862, in the Fourteenth New Jersey Infantry, serving three years, after which he went to Hopewell, N. J., and was for seven years engaged in dealing in live stock, in company with Edward Updike and others, during which period he also conducted a farm, and for some years later. He came to Nebraska in April, 1879, locating in Harvard, engaged in brokerage and loan business, in company with Edward Updike, and on December 6, 1881, they organized the Exchange Bank, to which he now gives his attention. Mr. T. was married at Pennington, N. J., October 4, 1866, to Mary Updike. She died October 9, 1878, leaving two children--Edward G. and George H. Mr. T. was married again at Harvard, Neb., November 29, 1880, to Lelia A. DeHart. They have one son--Louis B.
EDWARD UPDIKE, of the firm of Updike & Titus, proprietors of Exchange Bank, was born at Dutch Neck, N. J., in 1840, and reared on a farm. He enlisted in June, 1862, in the Fourteenth New Jersey Infantry, and when mustered out three years, later held the rank of Second Lieutenant of Company C. After the war, he returned home and followed farming until 1876, when he engaged in the butchering business at Hopewell, N. J., remaining in that business until he sold out to come to Nebraska in April, 1879; locating in Harvard, he at once engaged in business with L. J. Titus as brokers and loan agents, and on December 6, 1881, they organized the Exchange Bank.
GEORGE H. WASHBURN, of the firm of "G. H. Washburn & Co.," agents of Spring Ranche Mills, was born in Franklin County, Vt., in 1832, removing to Wayne County, Penn., when quite young, and still later to Grant County, Wis. He learned the trade of miller, and was employed in that capacity six years. He enlisted August 4, 1862, in the Twenty-fifth Wisconsin Infantry, serving three years, after which he returned to Grant County, and was for four years engaged in mercantile business at Castle Rock; then farming for several years. He came to Nebraska, June 2, 1878, located in Hamilton County, and has since carried on a farm there. In August of that year, he entered the employ of the Spring Ranche Mills, as miller; was engaged in that capacity eighteen months, and came to Harvard in December, 1879, to represent the mills at this place, and in July, 1881, in company with F. M. Van Gliden, purchased the agency for Harvard.
HON. M. W. WILCOX, physician and surgeon, was born in Honeoye Falls, N. Y., in 1834, and educated at Ohio Medical College, and Chicago Medical College, graduating from the latter in 1864. He then practiced medicine at Carey, Wyandot County, Ohio, for two years, Granby, Mo., two years or more, and at Mattoon, Ill.; was also Postmaster at that place. He came to Nebraska in the fall of 1871, located in Lincoln for a short time, removing to Sutton, Neb., in the spring of 1872, where he practiced for four years, then at Fairbury, in Jefferson County, for eighteen months. He came to Harvard in the spring of 1879, and resided here since. The Doctor was a member of the State Constitutional Convention of 1875, and elected, in 1876, to represent the Twenty-second District in the State Senate.
REV. EDWARD WILKINSON, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church, was born in England January 6, 1822; he learned the trade of carpenter, and was employed at it as a journeyman and also as a builder for some years, during which period he also labored in the church as a local preacher, having studied for the ministry in his early years. Mr. W. emigrated to America in April, 1859, and entered at once the regular ministry as a "supply" at Worthington, in the Pittsburgh Annual Conference, and was ordained Deacon at Blairsville, Penn., by Bishop Janes, in the spring of 1860; he joined the Michigan Conference in the fall of the same year; was ordained Elder in 1864, at Niles, by Bishop Baker, and labored in Michigan until his removal to Nebraska in May, 1873, at which time he took charge of the M. E. Church, at Fairbury, where he remained for two and one-half years; afterward in charge of the church at Weeping Water, Neb., for three years; Valparaiso one year; and at Wahoo for two years; he came to Harvard October 1, 1881, and at once entered upon his present duties.
THOMAS R. WYCKOFF, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Brown County, Ohio, November 11, 1834, and three years later removed with his parents to Putnam County, Ill., where he was reared on a farm. He enlisted in August, 1862, in the One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Illinois Infantry, serving until June 23, 1865, after which he farmed in Livingston County, Ill., until he came to Nebraska in March, 1871, and was for two years engaged in farming in Fairmont. On August 23, 1872, he homesteaded 160 acres in Harvard Precinct; moving on the same in February, 1873, he has since farmed in this place; is also largely engaged in breeding horses and hogs. He has been for many years a member of the District School Board. Mr. W. was married in Livingston County, Ill., in September, 1860, to Margaret H. Wright; they have six children--Flora J., Jacob A., George B., Alphonso, Charles W. and Levina A.