The First Murder | Early Justice
Part 2: Other Pioneer Events | Organization
County Agricultural Association
Schuyler: The Press | Fire Department | The Schools
Part 3: Schuyler (cont.): Societies | General Business
Part 4: Schuyler (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Part 5: Benton
Colfax Precinct | Wilson Precinct | Stanton Precinct
List of Illustrations in Colfax County Chapter
This is a station containing a postoffice and a few families, situated eight miles southwest of Schuyler. It was formerly called Richland, the town being laid out on the north side of the railroad track and comprising a tract of forty acres. A dozen years ago Richland had as good an outlook as Schuyler, but fortune passed her by. R. L. Payne, now a resident of Schuyler, was the first storekeeper. The station is now situated on the south side of the track.
NEIL BOLLONG, farmer. Section 14. P. O. Schuyler. Was born in Nova Scotia, June 4, 1818. He there married, February 6, 1840, Miss Eliza Shellnut. They have nine children-John, Mary C., Lucinda, Neil, William, Hector, Anna, Eva and Grace. He lived there until the early part of 1870, when he came to Nebraska, arriving at present residence in April of that year. He has a good farm of 240 acres, 160 in cultivation, the rest grass land. He is quite largely interested in live stock, having a large herd of cattle and feeding several cars for market annually. He also keeps 500 to 800 head of sheep and other stock.
JOHN CRAIG, farmer, Sec. 3. P. O. Schuyler. Was born in Harrison County, Ohio, December 15, 1851. Was there married March 10, 1870, to Miss Amanda Bower. They have one child--Stella. Soon after his marriage he came west, locating at his present residence in Colfax County. He has a large farm, consisting of 1,160 acres, 320 acres in cultivation, the rest grass land. His improvements are very good, his barn is probably the largest in the State, being 64 feet wide by 100 feet long and the posts twenty-seven feet high. It has a capacity of 300 ton of hay, 5,000 bushels of corn and 5,000 bushels of other grain and affording shelter for 2,000 head of sheep and twelve head of horses as now arranged. Mr. Craig is largely interested in live stock, having at present over 2,000 head of sheep. He receipts from this source alone in 1881 has been upward of $3,500. He is also preparing to engage in raising horses, his farm being well suited for raising live stock of all kinds. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.
FRANCIS DUNN, farmer, Section 13, Township 18, Range 4. P. O. Schuyler. Was born in County Derry, Ireland, August 11, 1831. He emigrated to America in 1856, living one year at Mapleville, Rhode Island. He then went to Philadelphia where he married, in February, 1858, Miss Jane McKee, who was born in County Antrim, Ireland. They have six children, William H. H., Elizabeth Jane, John, Abraham L. Annie and James A. He and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics he is a Republican and takes an active part in political matters. He came to Nebraska in 1864, locating at his present residence. He was the first settler on Maple Creek, in what is now Colfax County. He has 440 acres in his home farm, 225 acres in cultivation, the rest grass land. Has also 165 acres in Section 33, Township 19, Range 5, of which 100 acres are in cultivation. He farms over 325 acres, raising grain of all kinds. He keeps an average of eighty head of cattle, 100 head of hogs and some horses and sheep, but devotes his attention to cattle and hogs.
CHRISTIAN FUNK, farmer, Sec. 22, P. O. Schuyler. Was born in Rockingham County, Va., November 10, 1842, living there until the spring of 1862, when he went to Ford County, Ill, residing there two years. He then went to Henry County, Ill., where he resided until the spring of 1875. He married, in Henry County, Ill., November 29, 1866, Miss Lucy Ellen Jenkins, who was born in Rappahannock County, Va. They have eight children--Louis, Fannie, George, John Christian, Ira William, Oscar, Mina Eugenie and Charles. In the spring of 1875 he moved to Nebraska, locating at his present residence in Colfax County the next year. His farm, consisting of 440 acres, is finely located on the table land between the Platte Valley and Maple Creek; 200 acres are in cultivation, the rest grass land. He has a herd of 120 head of good grade cattle. He devotes his attention chiefly to raising and dealing in cattle and farming, though he keeps a considerable number of other stock.
JAMES JOHNS, retired, Section 15, P. O. Schuyler. Was born in Cornwell, England, June 17, 1817. He was married there, April 6, 1843, to Miss Louisa Martin. She died July 27, 1878, leaving one daughter, Elizabeth, who is still living. She is the wife of John Vincent, a farmer in Colfax County. Mr. Johns emigrated to America in 1847, locating in Grant County, Wis., where he engaged in lead mining. He went, in 1851, to California, where he was seven years engaged in gold mining, he then returned home, remaining two years. He then went to Montana, engaging in gold mining four years, when he returned to Grant County, again engaging very largely in lead mining until 1875. He is one of the early settlers in Grant County and is well known in that section. He moved to Nebraska in 1875, locating at the present residence. He has a large farm of 520 acres, well suited for farming and stock raising, 200 acres are in cultivation, twenty acres in pasture under fence, the rest grass land. His farm is operated by his son-in-law, John Vincent He is largely interested in live stock, having a heard of 150 head of cattle and some other stock.
HENRY G. KOON, proprietor of Colfax County Nursery, Section 32, Township 18, Range 4., P. O. Schuyler, was born in Steuben County, N. Y. May 17, 1810. He resided there until 1845 engaged in mercantile business. He married in Yates County, N. Y., May 12, 1837, Miss Susan Ann Hart. They have one child, Henry H. He moved to the West in 1845, living in Iowa and Illinois until 1878. He resided in Chicago twelve years, having a drug store a portion of the time; was there at the time of the great fire, losing all his property except his real estate. In August, 1878, he came to Nebraska, locating at his present residence and has since engaged in farming and nursery business. He has a farm of eighty acres, of which he is farming fifty acres, the rest being a nursery consisting of fruit, shade and forest trees, plants, flowers, etc. It was established twelve years ago and is now one of the best nurseries in the State. Mr. K. is a member of the order of I. O. O. F.
PATRICK MURPHY, farmer, Section 11, P. O. Schuyler, was born in Ballymore, County Galway, Ireland, August 16, 1840. He emigrated to America in 1865, living in Utica, N. Y., two years. He then went to Cleveland, O., remaining during the winter and in the spring of 1868 went to Sterling, Ill., where he married August 8, 1870, Miss Margaret Convoy, who is also a native of Ballymore. They have six children, John, Mary, Maggie, Annie, Bridget and Kittie. In February, 1871, he moved to Nebraska, locating in Colfax County. He is a Democrat and takes an active part in politics. He has held the office of Justice of the Peace of Colfax Precinct the past six years. He is a member of the Catholic Church. He has a good farm of 320 acres, 200 acres in cultivation, eighty acres in pasture under fence, the rest meadow; has good improvements. He devotes considerable attention to livestock raising, having seventy head of cattle, a large number of hogs and horses.
GEORGE F. STEVENS, farmer, Section 1, Township 18, Range 4, P. O. Schuyler, was born in Winthrop, Maine, December 28, 1830. When twenty-two years old he went to Ohio, working on what is now the C. Ft. W. & P. R'y, over three years, the last two years as assistant foreman. In the spring of 1856 he came to Omaha, working at the carpenter's trade one year; he then went to farming in Douglas County. He married at Omaha, July 3, 1858, Miss Mary Christina Kofoed, who was born in Denmark. They have seven children, John B., Vesta C., George L., Henry O., Quincy H., Melvina Bell, and Francis A. He lived in Douglas County until 1871, when he disposed of his farm and moved to his present place in Colfax County. His farm now consists of 200 acres, one half in cultivation. He is a Republican and while a resident of Douglas County, he took an active part in politics, and did much in connection with the early Territorial Government.
JOHN N. VINCENT, farmer, Section 15, Township 18, Range 4. P. O. Schuyler, Colfax Co., Neb. Was born in Cornwall, England. January 24, 1845. His father died in a few months and in 1847 his mother emigrated to America with her family, locating in Galena, Illinois. He resided there, working in the lead mines until 1871. He married at Hazlegreen, Grant Co., Wis., October 4, 1867. Miss Elizabeth A. Johns, who was born in that county. They have five children, Nettie Grace, William, Louisa (died October 7, 1876), and Emily. He moved to Nebraska, arriving in January, 1871, locating at his present residence soon afterwards. He has since that time been engaged in farming and stock raising. He has a good farm of 240 acres adjoining the farm of Mr. Johns, sixty acres in cultivation, the rest in grass land. The two farms make one of the finest stock ranges in Colfax County. He has also a herd of 125 head of cattle and keeps upward of fifty head of hogs.
WILLIAM M. WALKER, farmer, Section 4, Township 18, Range 4, P. O. Schuyler, was born at Rockland, Mass., March 9, 1845. When fifteen years old he went to sea, and on his return in 1863 he enlisted in Company G., Forty-third Massachusetts Volunteers, better known as the "Boston Tigers." He was a Corporal and served about a year. His time having expired, he was discharged and again went to sea as Third Lieutenant in the United States Revenue service. At the end of a year he resigned and returned to Boston. He was then employed as salesman in Boston. In 1867 he came to Nebraska, remaining at Omaha about two years. He married at Rockland, Mass., February 2, 1869., Miss Lydia M. Reed. They have three children living, Horace R., Lydia R., and Mercy A. In 1871 he moved to Colfax County, locating at his present residence. He there has a very large farm well suited for farming and live stock raising, of which he cultivated over three hundred acres. He has also a herd of over one hundred head of cattle and a large number of sheep and hogs, his stock all being of good grade. Mr. W. is a Republican and has held the office of County Commissioner, of Colfax County, one term. He is a member of Sheridan Post, No. 34, G. A. R. at Schuyler.
JOHN L. CUSHMAN, farmer, Section 18, Township 19, Range 2, P. O. Wilson was born in Lewis County, N. Y., July 29, 1834, living there until six years old, when his parents moved to Oneida County, in the same State, residing in that county until 1860. He then returned to Lewis County and there married April 11, 1860, Miss Helen Johnson who was born in Herkimer County, N. Y. They have five children, Minnie, George, Carl, Claude, and Lois. He enlisted in Company I, Fifth New York, Heavy Artillery, serving nearly three years in the Army of the Potomac. After his discharge he returned to Lewis County, engaging in farming until 1872, when he moved to Nebraska, arriving in February of that year and locating at the present residence. He has 280 acres, 200 in cultivation, the rest grass land. He devotes considerable attention to his stock-raising, having a good herd of cattle and other stock. He is a Republican. Is Postmaster at Wilson and has held the office of Justice of the Peace of Wilson Precinct.
JOSEPH SMITH, farmer, Section 2, Township 19, Range 2, P. O. Fulton, was born in Clarion County, Pa., April 12, 1834. He there enlisted in 1861 in Company K, Eleventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, serving nearly four years in the Army of the Potomac, was in many of the battles in which that army participated. He was wounded at the battle of Fredericksburg and was twice taken prisoner, once at Gaines Hill, being held in Libby prison forty days, and was afterward captured at the battle of the Wilderness, lying in Andersonville prison five months. While there his time expired. After his discharge he returned to Pennsylvania, living there two years. He then went to Boone County, Iowa where he resided four years. In 1871 he came to Nebraska, locating in Midland Precinct, Colfax County. He soon afterward moved to his present residence in Wilson Precinct. He married in Colfax County, Oct. 19, 1872, Miss Isabel Sayers. She died, leaving four children, William, John, Charles and Riley. He married in July, 1881, Miss Elizabeth Zartman, who was born in Ohio. He has 240 acres in his home farm, one-half in cultivation, the rest grass land. Has also 160 acres in Section 18, Township 19, Range 3, forty acres in cultivation. He operates both farms himself. Has on his home farm a thrifty grove of twenty acres. He raises a considerable number of live stock, keeping a good herd of cattle and marketing 100 head of hogs annually.
JEREMIAH HATCHER, farmer, Section 32, P. O. Leigh, was born at Wheeling, West Virginia, December 7, 1844, his parents moved to Belmont County, Ohio, the next year. He remained there until 1871. He enlisted in 1861, in Company A, Forty -third Ohio Infantry, serving in the Army of the Cumberland until July, 1865. He was with Sherman on his march to the sea. After his discharge he returned to Belmont County, Ohio. He was there married July 2, 1868, to Miss Mary E. Lindsey, they have six children, Orville, Annie, May, Lindsey, Emma and Gracie. Mr. Hatcher and his family left Ohio in the fall of 1871, stopping in Johnson County, Iowa, the following winter. The next spring they moved to Nebraska, locating at present residence in Stanton Precinct. He has 200 acres, eighty acres in cultivation, the rest grass land. He and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
HON. A. M. WALLING, farmer, Section 18, Township 20, Range 2, P. O. Leigh, was born in Scott County, Iowa, June 21, 1842. When he was three years old his parents moved to Linn County, Iowa, where he resided a number of years. He enlisted in 1861, in Company A; Eighth Iowa Infantry, serving nearly two and one-half years as a private. In 1863 he veteranized and was made Captain of a company in the colored regiment in Tennessee. When this regiment was disbanded, he was given the choice of a discharge or a First Lieutenancy in the Third United States Heavy Artillery. He accepted the latter and served in this position until the early part of 1866, when he was discharged. He was taken prisoner at the battle of Pittsburg Landing, April 6, 1862, and laid in Libby Prison nearly seven months. He had three brothers in the service, one being killed at Atlanta, Ga., in the same charge in which Gen. McPherson fell and the other two serving nearly five years each. He is a member of the Sheridan Post, No. 34, at Schuyler. After his discharge he returned to his home in Linn County, Iowa, where he was married December 25, 1867, to Miss Mary M. Leigh, who was born in Montgomery County, Ind. They have three children, Guy J., Maude E., and Minnie M. He continued to reside in Linn County, engaged in farming, until the spring of 1874, when he removed to Nebraska, locating in Colfax County. His residence is located at the town of Leigh, a thriving village in the northwest part of Colfax County. It has several dwellings, a store, post office, blacksmith shop, church and school house. Mr. Walling has there a good farm of 200 acres, one-half in cultivation, the rest grass land, a portion being in pasture under fence. His improvements are excellent, being fully equal to any other farm in Colfax County. He has also 160 acres on Section 8, which was his original homestead, of this, 100 acres are in cultivation. The farm is otherwise well improved. He devotes considerable attention to live stock, chiefly to cattle and hogs, marketing an average of 100 head of the latter per year. Mr. Walling is a staunch Republican, taking a very active interest in State and county politics. He is one of the most prominent leaders of the Republican party in Colfax County. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention in 1875, and was elected a member of the Legislature in 1880. He and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
L. K. WATTERS, farmer, Section 32, Township 20, Range 2, P. O. Leigh, was born in Belmont County, Ohio, February 8, 1843, living there until eleven years old, when his parents moved to Cedar County, Iowa. He then enlisted in 1862, in Company B, Thirty-fifth Iowa Infantry, serving until June, 1865. He was wounded in the year 1864, during the Red River Campaign under Gen. Banks; from that time until his discharge did camp duty chiefly. After his discharge he returned to his home and worked for his father on the farm one year. He then purchased a farm and farmed for himself. In the winter of 1868, he returned to Belmont County, Ohio, where he was married February 11, 1869, to Miss Catherine J. Lindsey. They have four children, Nellie Mabel, Joseph Earnest, Thomas Henry and Arthur Garfield. After his marriage he returned to Johnson County, Iowa, residing there engaging in farming until the spring of 1872. He then moved to Nebraska and located in Colfax County. They were the third family to settle in Stanton Precinct. He has a fine farm of 340 acres, well improved with a good frame house, barn and other conveniences; 140 acres are in cultivation, fifty acres pasture under fence and the rest meadow. He has a good herd of cattle and quite a large number of hogs, marketing an average of 100 head of the latter yearly. He and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a strong Republican and takes an active part in county politics, frequently being a Delegate from Stanton Precinct to Republican county conventions.