Organization | Public Schools | Population | Railroads
Indians | "The Logan War." | Hard Times | Omadi
Part 2: Towns
Dakota City: | Local Matters | Biographical Sketches
Part 3: St. Johns: Biographical Sketch
Jackson: Biographical Sketches
Homer | Hubbard: | Biographical Sketches
Covington: Biographical Sketch
The towns of Dakota County may be conveniently classified as paper, extinct and surviving towns. In the days of the first settlers, there seems to have been a general desire on their part to live in villages, as much perhaps from motives of companionship and protection as from speculation; although the latter motive played no inconsiderable part. In 1856 a mania for speculating in town lots took possession of the settlers along the Missouri, and a large part of the land in the county lying along its bank, was laid out in streets, alleys and blocks. In the southern part of the county was
Blyburg, named in honor of John Bly, one of the early settlers. It was laid out by Col. Pleyel, but never contained more than two cabins, and was soon deserted by its proprietor.
Verona was laid out in 1856, opposite the mouth of the Floyd, by Roberts and Kerr. This town never contained any houses.
Franklin City was located up the river about two miles above Dakota City. A large number of lots were sold in this city to eastern parties, but no building was ever erected here, and it soon ceased to exist, except in the memory of those who had invested their money in its real estate.
Logan.--This is also one of the extinct towns of the county. It was situated on the Missouri, about two miles northwest of Dakota, extending for one mile along its bank. In 1856 and 1857 it was the rival of Omadi, and contained at that time about twenty-five houses. Among its early settlers were Harry Lyon, S. Whitehorn, Leonard Bates, D. B. Dodson, J. Westcott and Col. Warner. In the year 1857, its inhabitants began to desert it, and by 1860, it was almost entirely deserted. A family by the name of Virden was the last to leave. At the present time there is little left to mark its former site.
Pacific City.--This is another of the deserted cities of Dakota County. Its site was one mile south of Covington, and was laid out by Hunt and Hollman. Afterwards an addition was made by Sanford and Martin. In 1857 it contained about ten good frame buildings, but its inhabitants soon became dissatisfied with the location and moved away. Mr. Sanborn's family was the last to leave.
Randolphwas a post office until 1877 but is now discontinued. It was named after the first mail-carrier between Sioux City and the Elkhorn Valley, Jasper Randolph. It is situated on Wigle Creek four miles west of Homer.
Homer was a post office until 1875, when it was discontinued. It is situated two miles north of Homer, on Omaha Creek, where is still located Oake's mill, the first mill built on this creek.
A preliminary survey of this city was made in 1855, and in September, 1856, it was surveyed under the direction of the Dakota City Company, of which Augustus Kountze, since then a wealthy banker of Omaha, was president. The first building erected in Dakota was a log cabin with a flat dirt roof, with the ground for a floor, by B. F. Chambers, in May, 1856. This building was afterwards improved and occupied as a hotel under the name of the "Chihuahua House," by Dr. J. D. M. Crockwell. Among the early settlers of Dakota city may be mentioned Joseph Hollman, who came in 1856, also W. G. Crawford, F. A. Robinson, John Naffziger, William H. James, who in 1871, became Secretary of State, and John Taffe, afterwards a member of Congress. In 1857 John Naffziger opened the first store, and Messrs. Hollman & Crawford opened a law office.
Probably no city in Nebraska ever entertained more sanguine hopes of becoming a metropolis than did Dakota in its early days. Through the influence of Dr. Crockwell the United States Land Office was established here in 1857.
The necessities and the prospects of the city were such as to warrant the building of a large three-story hotel, with a two-story wing, at a cost of $16,000 in gold. This hotel was called the Bates House. E. F. Mason, of Elyria, Ohio, was, on account of his experience and ability in that direction, engaged to manage it. The United States Court was held here twice a year, in spring and fall. William F. Lockwood having been in 1861, appointed by Abraham Lincoln, Judge of the Third Judicial District of the Territory, built a fine residence here. Speculation in town lots was active, and everything seemed to point to a bright and prosperous future.
Upon the admission of Nebraska as a State, however, the prospects changed. The United States Court ceased to hold its semi-annual sittings here. The business of the Land Office diminished, and in September, 1875, it was removed to Niobrara. The business and officers connected with Land Office and Court having departed, the grand hotel was no longer needed and was gradually going to decay, until in 1879, it was torn down and sold as old lumber. From 1867 to 1870 the improvement of the town was slow, but in this latter year it took a fresh start. A new court house was built, costing $15,000. It is a fine three story structure, two stories brick with a mansard roof, and a sufficient capacity to meet the wants of the county for many years. A two story brick schoolhouse had been built in 1866, at a cost of $4,500. The upper story of thit has been used by the Masons for a lodge room ever since. There is also a neat frame schoolhouse in which the high school is held.
There are in Dakota City three general stores, two drug stores, one hardware store, one blacksmith shop, one tin-shop, one millinery store, one hotel, two physicians, five lawyers, two church buildings and four church societies--Methodist, Lutheran, Presbyterian and Episcopalian. The Methodist church is of brick and was built in 1873, at a cost of $4,000.
There is a population of about 400 in the town, of whom 163 are children of school age. It is finely situated on a plateau sufficiently elevated to be out of reach of high floods of the Missouri, and is to some extent protected by the surrounding bluffs. The Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha R. R., has a neat station here; and being thus favorably situated, there is no good reason why it should not steadily increase in population and influence in the county.
The first birth in Dakota City was that of a son to Mrs. James W. Virtue, who a short time afterwards died, and hers was the first death.
The first marriage was that of John Naffziger to Miss Surinda Packard, who had previously taught the first school. Mr. William Adair, a local historian of Dakota County, came to Dakota City in 1856, and the same year L. Whitehorn opened a brick-yard--the first industrial enterprise started here. In October, 1881, the Rev. H. Wilson, the Presbyterian clergyman at Dakota, was elected to the presidency of a new educational institution at Oakdale, Antelope County.
Dakota City has two newspapers. The North Nebraska Eagle was started in 1876 by Atlee Hart and Will S. Jay, as a seven-column quarto. On October 11, Mr. Jay sold his interest to E. J. DeBell. Mr. DeBell, on October 30, 1877, sold to C. D. Martin, and on the 8th of March Messrs. Hart & Martin bought the Dakota County Mail, which had then been published six years at Dakota City. Mr. Martin sold on May 1, 1879, to George T. Woods, who almost immediately sold to Will S. Jay. The Eagle was then changed from a Democratic paper to an independent one, and it still continues to be published on that basis. On July 21, 1881, Mr. Atlee Hart bought out Mr. Jay's interest, and thus became sole proprietor. The Eagle has a large circulation among the people of the county, and is highly appreciated by them.
The North Nebraska Argus is also published in Dakota City. It was established on the 7th of May, 1880, by C. D. Martin, and in September his daughter, Miss E. C. Martin, became associate editor. It is Democratic in politics and is the official paper of the county. These are the only papers now published in the county.
Omadi Lodge No. 5, A., F. & A. M., was chartered June 2, 1858, with eight members. The names of the principal officers were as follows: Mahlon G. Wilkinson, W. M.; E. G. Lamson, S. W.; A. W. Puett, J. W. The lodge was moved to Dakota City in 1862. It now has forty-six members.
CONRAD AMBRECHT, farmer, Section 11 P. O. Dakota City, was born in Kor Hessen, Germany, August 6, 1818, came to Wheeling, W. Va., August 6, 1850, worked at various kinds of labor. In 1857 came to Dakota County, having no money he was obliged to borrow sufficient to reach here. He pre-empted a piece of land, after earning sufficient he bought a yoke of oxen and a cow, and for the first seven years had less than ten head of cattle. Now owns 200 acres of land, with sixty-five head of cattle and about forty hogs and two teams. Married in 1850 to Malesene Haase, of Hanover; she died in the fall of 1877; have four children--Anna, now Mrs. Beermann; William A., Louis H. and Mary C.
M. O. AYERS drugs, books and hardware, is a native of Lee County, Iowa. His father came to Fort Madison, Iowa, in about 1832, was one of the first settlers of the county. At about the age of sixteen he was employed as clerk in a drug store at Des Moines, Iowa, has followed this business the past eighteen years. In 1868 came to Dakota City, was employed a short time as clerk, he then bought out his employer and has since carried on the business. August, 1881, he added to his business a general line of hardware. Was appointed Postmaster July, 1880.
THOMAS C. BAIRD, Sheriff, was born in Butler County, Iowa, in 1855, came with his parents to Nebraska, located in Dakota County where they have since resided. His father made a claim of 160 acres; now owns over 400 acres. They are largely engaged in live stock. He was elected Sheriff of this county in the fall of 1881. At the breaking out of the war, his father raised a company and was commissioned Captain; in 1862 he was promoted to Major, and again promoted to Lieutenant Colonel, holding this rank when mustered out.
A. H. BAKER, live stock, was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., in 1854, came to McHenry County, Ill. In the fall he removed to Delaware County, Iowa. September, 1855, came to Dakota County, Neb. Is one of the first settlers of the county. He assisted in building a water saw mill at Omadi, which they afterwards sold, and bought a steam saw mill, ran it about seven years. In about 1863 he removed to Decatur, worked at the mason trade about two years, then returned to Dakota, run a saw mill about two years, then removed to the Winnebago Agency, run the mill there about two years, then returned to Dakota City, where he has since resided. Owns 160 acres of land and largely engaged in live stock. He was one of the first County Commissioners, served one term; has been a member of the Legislature, Probate Judge, and various other offices. He was one of the partners who built the Emmit Mill at Jackson, the only one now living in the county. Married September 20, 1857, to Rose Hallack, of Erie County, N. Y.; they have three daughters. Is steward of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
JOHN BLESSING, farmer, Section 34, P. O. Jackson, was born April 14, 1832, in Wurtemberg, Germany. In 1850 came to Erie County, N. Y., there learned the carpenter trade where he worked about five years. In the spring of 1857 came to Dakota County, located in Omadi Precinct in 1862; he enlisted in Company I Second Nebraska Calvary, served thirteen months, then returned and located in Dakota Precinct in 1874. Came to his present farm, now owns about 300 acres partly improved, also ninety-three head of cattle, five horses, about thirty-five hogs, etc., when first coming to the county they lived about eighteen months on corn bread, not being able to procure anything better. Married in 1856 to Mary Willyoung, of Elsace; they have ten children--four sons and six daughters.
DAVID BOALS, farmer, Section 3, P. O. Covington, was born in Center County, Pa.; raised in Venango County, there worked at the carpenter trade from 1840 to 1856; then came to Dakota County, pre-empted 160 acres of land. After years of hard struggles, he has finally succeeded in getting a very comfortable home. Has been twenty-one years School Director. Has been Treasurer of the School Board since the district organization. Married in 1847 to Hannah J. Boyd, of Mercer County, Pa; was raised in Ohio. They have four children--William H., George L., Marenda O. (now Mrs. Plank), and Lizzie. Sarah A. died July 4, 1856, in her fourth year; she was the first white child buried in this county. Mrs. B. walked from the river to Dakota City, where she remained over night, she being the first white woman remaining over night there; the following day they removed to this farm.
WILLIAM BOUTON, farmer, Section 36, P. O. Dakota City, is a native of Delaware County, N. Y. Came to Dakota County in 1856; located on this land, which he pre-empted. Owns 160 acres, which he has improved. Married in 1865 to Susan Biggerstaff, of Dakota County. They have five children, two sons and three daughters.
WILLIAM CHENEY, live stock, is a native of Chautauqua County, N. Y. February, 1855, came to Dakota County, where he has since resided, and is one of the first settlers of this county. He took a claim of 160 acres; now owns 452 acres, also property in Dakota City. In 1866 he went to the Winnebago Reservation; was engineer of the mill about ten years. He then returned to Dakota City; has since been engaged in live stock.
DR. E. J. DEBELL, physician and surgeon, is a native of Greene County, N. Y. In 1866 he commenced the study of medicine, graduated at the Albany, N. Y. Medical College in 1869. Then came to Illinois in 1870, practiced about one year. In 1871 went to Nebraska, located at the Winnebago Agency, was physician for the tribe four years in 1875, went to Dakota City, engaged in practice in 1879. He was appointed Agency Physician at Pine Ridge, D. T., held the position two years, then returned to Dakota City, following his profession.
D. C. DIBBLE, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Dakota City, is a native of Delaware County, N. Y. There taught a district school in all some seven years, also engaged in farming. In 1864 came to Adrian, Mich., engaged in merchandising about two years, then returned to his native State. In 1868 came to Dakota County; located on his farm. He now owns 360 acres under fence, and is one of the most successful farmers in this county; he is also largely engaged in live stock. When in Delaware County he was one of the original originators of the Town Insurance Co., at Meredith; was one of the directors. Since coming to Dakota County, has been County Commissioner one term. Married January, 1861, to Miss Jane M. Wood, of Delaware County, N. Y. They have two children--one son and one daughter. Their son is attending the institution in Delaware County, N. Y., preparing for a college course.
J. O. FISHER, farmer, Section 14, P. O. Dakota City, was born in Blackstone, Mass., raised in Connecticut. In 1852 went to California; returned to Connecticut in 1856. The year following, came to Nebraska; located in Dakota Precinct. Owns 400 acres land--about 160 acres in cultivation. He has an orchard of about 200 trees, and other improvements. Now wintering 108 head of cattle, about 100 hogs and three teams. Was County Commissioner three years. Represented this county in the Territorial Legislature during the winter of 1862-63. Has been six years School Director.
HON. KELLY W. FRAZER, County Judge, is a native of Holmes County, Ohio. In April, 1856, came to Madison County, Iowa. In 1858 he moved to Knox County, Neb.; made a claim of 160 acres of land, and started a blacksmith shop, this being the first in the county. This he ran, in connection with a hotel, till the spring of 1861. He then accepted a position on the Ponca Reservation, where he remained till the spring of 1865, then returned to Niobrara. In 1866 he represented that district in the first State Legislature. In 1867 came to Dakota City. Was elected County Judge in 1869 and, with the exception of one term, has held this office since. In 1873 he was admitted to practice in the District Court of Nebraska. He performed the three first marriage ceremonies in Knox County, Neb. The first was D. W. Dodson to Miss Mary Brookhart, May 30, 1861; second marriage was George Ligner to Miss Jenevive Belonja, a half-breed; the third was Henry Sturgis to Miss Maria Paxton.
AUGUST T. HAASE, carpenter and builder, was born in Hanover, Germany. In 1850 commenced to learn his trade in Wheeling, W. Va. In the spring of 1858 came to Dakota City, where he has followed this business. He built Lutheran Church, Court House, a number of schoolhouses, and many other buildings in town and surrounding country. In 1864 was married to Louisa Eckhart, of Dakota City, formerly of Canal Dover, Ohio, born in Philadelphia, Pa. They are both members of the Lutheran Church. Have three children--one daughter and two sons.
WILLIAM LAPSLEY, farmer, Section 13, P. O. Dakota City. Was born August 5, 1805, in Indiana County, Pa. In 1833 he engaged in merchandising. Continued about seven years, then engaged in woolen manufacturing. Continued at this business about twenty years. March, 1868, came to this farm. Owns 320 acres, is wintering about thirty head of cattle, about 100 hogs, and requires three teams to run this farm. When in Pennsylvania, was one of the Township Auditors. The first wheat raised in Dakota County was from this farm, and threshed by flails. Married in 1835 to Isabella Mathews, of Indiana County, Pa. They have eight children--four sons and four daughters.
GEORGE LEAMER, farmer, Section 7, P. O. Dakota City. Is a native of Blair County, Pa. In 1867 came to Dakota County and settled on this farm. He now owns 505 acres of land, all of which he has improved since coming here. His residence is of brick, built in 1872, cost about $4,000, and is one of the finest in the county. He has been for the past ten years a member of the school board. Married in 1852 to Margaret Geesey, of Blair County, Pa. Their family consists of eight sons.
W. C. MCBEATH, ex-County Clerk, is a native of Wayne County, Ky. In 1856 came to Dakota County. Was engaged in merchandising about three years. At the breaking out of the war he enlisted in Co. D, Fifth Iowa Cavalry. In 1862 was promoted to Second Lieutenant, afterwards First Lieutenant. Was mustered out September, 1865, with the rank of Captain. Remained South about three years, then returned to Dakota County, and has held the office of county clerk the past twelve years.
CHARLES D. MARTIN, of Dakota City, Neb., was born at Bath, Grafton Co. N. H., March 26, 1817. Came to Ohio when seventeen years of age, and attended a collegiate institute there four years. Taught school in Miami County. In 1844 was appointed Postmaster in Athens County, Ohio. In 1849 went to New Orleans and spent the winter. Spent the summer of 1850 in South Arkansas. On July 8, 1856, came to Dakota County, Neb., and on September 11 entered a pre-emption claim adjoining Covington, and built a cabin thereon. In 1858 was Justice of the Peace in Covington. In 1861 was appointed United States District Clerk for the Third Judicial District of Nebraska; served six and one-half years. In 1864 was appointed Receiver of the United States Land Office at Dakota City; served four years and seven months. In 1877 became editor of the Dakota City Eagle, and in 1880 became editor of the North Nebraska Argus, which paper he still publishes. He was married May 9, 1843, to Miss Nancy Dunlap, and has four children--one son and three daughters.
JOHN MITCHELL, blacksmith. Is a native of Westmoreland County, Pa. In 1850 came to Jefferson County, Iowa, with his parents. In 1865 removed to Richland, Keokuk Co., Iowa, there commenced to learn this trade, where he served four years. April 11, 1869, came to Dakota City, where he has since resided and carried on this trade. For the past fourteen years he has taken an active part in music, and has taught several terms. Married, September, 1877, to Miss Mattie Oesterling. She was born in Sioux City, Iowa. They have one daughter now three years old, who has also a natural talent for music. He is a member of the Lutheran Church.
JOHN NAFFZIGER, farmer, is a native of Bavaria. In 1826 came to Canada. In 1851 came to Lee County, Iowa. In 1856 he removed to Dakota County, Neb., where he has since resided. He entered a one-quarter section of land, which he improved; also engaged in merchandising, his being the first goods sold in Dakota City. After selling goods a few years, removed to his farm, where he remained till 1874, when he sold his farm and returned to Dakota City, where he has since resided. Has been Probate Judge one term, County Commissioner two terms, represented this county in the Legislature one regular and one special term, and has held various other minor offices. His son William has taught school several terms, is now engaged in farming.
PIUS NEFF, County Treasurer, was born in Baden, Germany, in 1848. Came to Canada with his parents in 1856. Came to Oswego County, N. Y., and worked at pottery trade six months. In 1857 came to Kansas; lived there and in Missouri till 1859, when he removed to Dakota City, Neb., worked at the pottery trade, and was here in all about six years. He then removed to Woodbury County, Iowa, carried on the business about three years. In the fall of 1868 returned to Nebraska and located on a farm in Dakota Precinct. He now owns 320 acres, all improved. In 1873 he was elected County Treasurer; held the office two terms; he was again elected to this office in the fall of 1881.
J. OESTERLING, proprietor Farmer's Hotel, Dakota City, was born in Hesse Darmstadt, Germany, March 24, 1821. In 1846 he came to Columbus, Ohio; in 1847, to Cincinnati; in 1849, to Indianapolis, Ind.; in 1854, to Des Moines, Iowa; in 1856, to Sioux City, Iowa; in 1858, to Frankfort, Knox Co., Neb.; there he was hotel-keeper and Postmaster two years. In 1860 he moved to Niobrara, where he kept a hotel, store and postoffice three years. In 1864, moved to Dakota City, Dakota County, where he carried on the fur trade two years; then moved to Covington, where he kept a hotel about nine months; returned to Dakota City, and built the hotel he now occupies. He has been Coroner in Dakota County two years. He now owns sixty acres in town lots in Frankfort, Knox Co., and forty-one acres adjoining the town; also 160 acres near Niobrara. He was married August 5, 1848, to Miss Mary E. Guyer, of Bavaria. They have seven children; three sons and four daughters.
HON. ISAAC POWERS, JR., attorney at law, was born in Lenawee County, Mich. In 1855 came with his parents to Iowa; two years later they removed to Kansas. In about 1866 he commenced to study of law. Came to Dakota in 1870; has since followed his profession. Was a member of the Constitutional Convention in 1875; was a member of the State Senate in 1877 and in 1881. November, 1881, he was elected a member of the Board of Regents of the State University.
ESTON RUSH, farmer, Section 28, P. O. Dakota City. Is a native of Somerset County, Pa. In 1851 came to Wapello County, Iowa; in 1857 came to Dakota County. Located on this farm. He owns 225 acres of land, all under fence. He built the first house covered with shingles in this precinct. Married, March 17, 1844, to Mary Ann Wirsing, of Somerset County, Pa.; have six children, one son and five daughters. Members of Methodist Episcopal Church.
JOHN T. SPENCER, attorney at law, Dakota City, was born in Crawford County, Pa., June 24, 1844, on a farm. After leaving the common school he prepared for college at the State Normal School, Edinboro, Pa., and graduated at Allegheny College, Meadville, Pa., June 23, 1870. He was then principal of the Union School, at Sherman, N. Y., one year (1870-71), in the mean time studying law. In September, 1871, came to Dakota City, Neb., and was admitted to the bar the same fall. Was elected County Superintendent in 1872, and appointed to the same position in 1874. This year he became editor of the Dakota City Mail; the duties of which position he performed four years. In 1874 he was appointed U. S. Circuit Court Commissioner, which position he still holds. In 1877 was appointed a member of the Board of Education of the State Normal School, which position he also retains. On July 1, 1879, he became Superintendent of the Industrial School at the Winnebago Agency; remaining in that position two years. April 1, 1882, he purchased one-half interest in the North Nebraska Eagle, becoming responsible editor of that paper. Mr. Spencer was married September 13, 1871, to Miss Ettie Mershon, a graduate of the State Normal School, Edinboro, Pa., who has been Principal of the Dakota City Schools five years. They have four children, two sons and two daughters.
HENRY STOTT, County Clerk, was born in Connecticut. When a child came with his parents to Wisconsin. In 1857 they removed to Nebraska. Located at Dakota City. His father held the office of Receiver of Government Lands, where he was employed several years. In the fall of 1881 he was elected County Clerk.
JAMES STOTT, retired. Is a native of England. Came to Massachusetts in 1852. Then to Connecticut. Soon after to Wisconsin. In 1856 came to Dakota County. Entered 120 acres of land by pre-emption. Engaged in farming in a small way. He now owns about 1,500 acres. He has been engaged also in the wood and shingle business. Was appointed Deputy Collector of Internal Revenue in which he served about five years. In the spring of 1865 was appointed by the Commissioners of the county as County Assessor. Also, in the fall of 1865, was elected County Clerk. Held the office two terms. He was appointed Receiver of the Government Land Office. Held this office about twelve years.
SAMUEL WHITEHORN, farmer, Section 23. P. O., Dakota City. Was born in Rutland County, Vt. At the age of seventeen came to Yates County. There commenced to learn the tailoring trade, where he worked several years. Then removed to Ontario County. Worked there one year. In the fall of 1837 came to Seneca Falls. Carried on this business about two years, then returned to Yates County where he carried on business till 1856, when he came to Dakota County. Located at Logan. Followed teaming. In 1857 came to Dakota City and engaged in making brick one season. Since then he has followed farming. In about 1872 removed to this farm, consisting of 132 acres. Has held the office of Probate Judge. Enlisted in 1862 in Company I, Second Nebraska Cavalry, and served thirteen months. Married October 17, 1837, to Mary Beach, of Seneca County, N. Y. She died June 11, 1846, aged thirty-four years. Have two sons. Second marriage to Sarah A. Evans, of Seneca County, N. Y., October 29, 1846. They have four children, three daughters and one son.
SUMNER WHITTIER, general merchandise. Is a native of Essex County, Mass. In 1869 he received a position as traveling salesman for shoe manufacturing goods from Boston. Held this position seven years, then came to Whiting, Iowa, and he, with his brother, carried on a general store. June, 1877, came to Dakota City and opened a general store which he has since continued, doing a business of about $30,000 a year. Is the only house carrying a general stock in Dakota City.
DR. G. W. WILKINSON, physician and surgeon. Is a native of Parke County, Indiana. In 1848 he attended the Indiana Asbury University. Finished his course of studies in 1852, then came to Peoria, Ill., where he studied medicine. Graduated at Rush Medical College, Chicago, in 1857. Then returned to Peoria and practiced medicine there one year. In the spring of 1858 came to Dakota County, Nebraska, and continued in the practice of medicine. At the breaking out of the war was commissioned Surgeon of the First Nebraska Cavalry. Served to the end of the war. Was surgeon for the Winnebago tribe of Indians two years. Was appointed Register of the United States Land Office at Dakota City, Nebraska, in 1870. Held that office five years. Was elected County Treasurer of Dakota County in 1877. Held that office four years. In the fall of 1871 was appointed Agent for the Omaha and Winnebago tribes of Indians which position he now holds.