Surface and Natural Products | Early Settlement | Events and Items|
War Record | County Organization | County Roster|
Court House and Jail | Railroads | Ferry and Transfer Companies|
Otoe County Fair Association | Otoe County Medical Society
The Old Settlers' Association | Assessments for Taxation
Nebraska City: Early Settlement | Selling Town Lots | A Judicial Joke|
An Incident of the Panic | An Era of Speculation
Nebraska City (cont.): Transportation and Telegraphs | Incorporation|
Official Roster | Criminal | Education
Nebraska City (cont.): Religion|
Nebraska City (cont.): The Press | Government Offices|
Fire Department | Fires | Societies | Wyuka Cemetery
Nebraska City (cont.): Public Buildings | Hotels | Banks|
Board of Trade | Elevators | Nebraska City Gaslight Company
9 - 14:
** Nebraska City Biographical Sketches **|
| ADLE~DILLON | DRAKE~KEES | KINNEY | KOHN~NEILSON |
| NORTHCUTT~SCHMITZ | SEYMOUR~ZIMMERS |
Syracuse: Education | Religion | Societies | Railroad Interests|
The Press | Biographical Sketches
Syracuse (cont.): Biographical Sketches (cont.)|
Palmyra: Education | Societies | Religion | Business|
Dunbar: Events and Items | Education | Religion | Societies|
Railroad Interests | Delaware Precinct (biographical sketches)
Unadilla: Religion | Societies | The Press | Events and Items|
Wyoming | Camp Creek | Other Towns|
Biographical Sketches: North Branch Precinct | Hendricks Precinct
Osage Precinct | McWilliams Precinct | Berlin Precinct | Minersville
List of Illustrations in Otoe County Chapter
A. P. GROUT, attorney at law and notary public, was born in Lamoille County, Vt., in 1848. Graduated from Dartmouth College in 1873, and removed to Illinois, and was principal of Winchester school for two years. Moved to Nebraska in 1876, and was Superintendent of the Nebraska City schools for one year. After being admitted to the bar in 1877, he engaged in the practice of his profession in Newton, Iowa. In 1878, he located in Syracuse, and engaged in the practice of his profession.
H. C. HANDY, farmer, Section 25. P. O. Syracuse; owns 280 acres. Was born in Franklin County, Mass., October 9, 1841. In 1857, moved to New York City and was engaged in baking until 1863. Went to Chicago and engaged in the wholesale notion business until the great fire of 1871, which whipped his business out. He then traveled a while for Wyley & Russell Manufacturing Co., of Greenfield, Mass., until 1877, and then for C. H. Fargo & Co., by whom he is still employed. He was married in 1866, to Miss Anna P. Deane, of Greenfield, Mass., the eldest daughter of the late Charles Deane, a steamboat Captain of the steamer Lucy Bertram, of St. Louis, and plied on the Mississippi River. Mr. H. is a staunch Republican in politics.
ROCHESTER HEDGES, farmer, P. O. Syracuse. Born in Pickaway County, Ohio, April 13,1827, where he remained until 1861, when he came to Nebraska and settled on Section 20, Township 8, Range 11, situated near the famed nursery hill, where Mr. H. was appointed Deputy Postmaster for a number of years. He was elected to the Legislature in 1864, and served one term. He was also elected Justice of the Peace in 1861, and served one term; then in 1863 re-elected and served one term there; and re-elected in 1874 and served four terms. He has been in public office ever since he has been in the State, and was married to Miss Catherine A. Lowe, a daughter of Jacob J. Lowe. She was born in Ulster County, N. Y., January 7, 1838, and came West with her father. Was a descendant of the French Huguenots.
ADDISON V. HARRIS, born in Rockbridge County, Va., November 11,1857, and remained there until 1878, when he moved to Boone County, Ind., and engaged in blacksmithing, which trade he learned near Lexington, Va., where he remained one year. Then went to Palmyra, Neb., in 1879, where he remained until March, 1882. He was engaged in the dairy business and rented a farm of eighty acres. Was married April 19, 1881, to Miss Mary M. Meacham, of Bennet, Neb., born in Iowa in 1854. M. H. is a staunch Democrat.
CHARLES W. HAYS, deceased, born in the village of Waldin, town of Montgomery, Orange Co., N. Y., December 4, 1844, and got a good common schooling, business college training, and engaged in business with his father for three years, and came West in 1868, and took a homestead north of Unadilla, where he was a successful farmer for several years; but owing to ill health went East and engaged in the paint and oil business for one year. Then went West again and engaged in farming until l877, when owing to an attack of the disease which carried him off, he was obliged to give up farming and he turned his attention to a lighter business. He erected a fine building and carried on a billiard hall successfully, until he was prostrated by his lingering but sure disease, which carried him to that country from whose bourne no traveler returns. He was married to Miss Etta Edsell, of Ellenville, Ulster Co., N. Y., the youngest daughter of Levi Edsell, on February 28, 1866, and left her and a widowed mother and four children to mourn his loss. Mr. Hays was a warm friend, a good husband, a kind father and obliging neighbor, charitable and generous to a fault.
GEORGE V. HILL, confectioner and preserved canned goods and restaurant, established February, 1882, takes boarders by the week or day. Was born in Charleston, W. Va., in 1858, and moved from there to Adams County, Ill., in 1861, with his parents, where he received a common school education arid remained until 1878, when they moved to Lyons County, Kas., and remained there a short time and then came to this State and engaged in farming until 1882, when he came to Syracuse and engaged in the above business. His father, Martin F. Hill, was born in West Virginia, and enlisted in the 118th Illinois, Company C, and served seven months and was discharged. On expiration of time, he came to Nebraska, and died with typhoid fever.
D. W. HOTCHKISS, farmer, P. O. Syracuse, was born in Venango County, Pa., March 18,1855 and came to Nebraska with his parents in 1878 and settled in Syracuse and ran a farm of eighty acres which he sold in lots. Then bought 160 acres on Section 10, Township 8, Range 11, which he now works and intends engaging in the cattle and hog business. Was married in 1877 to Miss Mattie Roach of Limaville, Ohio, who was born in 1855 in Ohio. They have two children, Luetta G., born February 25, 1878, Lura M., born January 2, 1881. Mr. H. is a staunch Republican in politics.
C. W. IRELAND, dealer in staple and fancy groceries, Syracuse, Neb. Born in Newburyport, Mass., January 3, 1848, and in 1869 moved to Iowa, to Cedar County, and engaged in general fire insurance for a short time. Then, in 1869, to Syracuse and built a store on the corner of Main and Mohawk streets now occupied by William Buckman, where he carried on a general store for six years and was very successful when he retired from business until 1880 when he started a grocery as above on the west side of Main street. Was married in 1873 to Miss E. B. Stickle, the only daughter of a prominent hotel and livery man at Syracuse. They have one child, Frank, born December 3, 1874.
J. W. JAMES, farmer, P. O. Syracuse, was born in Montgomery County, Ind., December 2,1834, where he remained until fourteen years of age, then came to Mahaska County, Iowa, with his parents, where he remained one year then went to Powesheik County, Iowa, where he remained until 1870, then moved to Nebraska and settled in Lincoln. From there to Saline County, and engaged in farming and milling until 1878 when he bought a farm of 160 acres on Section 17, Town 8, Range 11, Otoe County, and settled there. Was married in February, 1856, to Miss Sarah Jane Sutton, the second daughter of Hannibal Sutton, a prominent farmer, stock-raiser and dealer of Powesheik County, Iowa. They have one son and three daughters. Mr. J. is a prominent member of the K. of H., and of the Grand Army of the Republic.
ALBERT JOYCE, Syracuse, was born in New York City, September 11, 1853, and came to this State in February, 1868. Settled in Syracuse and started the Syracuse Journal, January 25, 1878. When he started the business he had neither funds nor subscriptions, on account of another paper that was about one year in existence and had suspended business and people had lost all confidence. Mr. Joyce being a live man and very ambitious, has succeeded in establishing a good circulation. The Journal is the official paper of Otoe County.
CHARLES A. LANDMESSER, manager for Slosson & Davis, was born in Schuylkill County, Pa., February 19, 1855, and raised in Luzerne County. Received his education in Wilkesbarre, Pa., and remained there until the age of twenty-two years. His father and mother both died, his father when he was eighteen years old and his mother when he was sixteen years old. His father was a foreman in the Delaware and Hudson coal mines at Wilkesbarre for many years. Mr. L. has been engaged in railroading for about five years on the Lehigh Valley R. R. and came to Nebraska in April, 1877, and engaged in farming until July12, 1881, when he engaged as above. Mr. L. is a staunch Republican in politics and a prominent member of the Equitable Aid Union Society, and is a sober, industrious young man.
G. H. LITTLEFIELD, M. D., was born at East Bridgewater, Plymouth Co., Mass., September 17, 1848, and was fitted for college at the Boys' Classical Academy at Bridgewater. He entered in 1865 and graduated in 1867. Being prepared for Dartmouth College, N. H., He entered in 1867 and graduated in 1871, after which he taught in the Boys' Classical College, corner Broadway and Eighth streets, Troy, N. Y., in 1872, for two terms. During the time he was ever mindful of his chosen profession and was often thrown in contact with the practice of surgery and medicine. From there he moved to Jacksonville, Ill., and was appointed principal of the Third Ward school and retained the position for three years. This time he had a thorough practice of his profession. In the winter of 1876 we find him installed in the Michigan State University, at Ann Arbor, where he finally graduated with high honors, and in 1878 we find him in Syracuse, Neb., practicing, and at this writing he has the best practice in this part of the county. The Doctor is a genial, good-natured gentleman, of temperate habits and rare practical knowledge, liberal in his views and charitable to the poor. We join with the citizens in wishing him success.
CHARLES MARSHALL, Syracuse P. O., dealer in boots and shoes, etc., also carries a full stock of men's gloves and hose. Born in Market Weighton, Yorkshire, England, September 8, 1854, and remained there and served an apprenticeship of six years and received a common school education and emigrated to New York City in February, 1871, and remained there one year and worked at his trade. From there to Archison for one month, then to Nebraska, locating at Weeping Water, and from there to Plattsmouth early in 1872 arid remained there until March, 1880, when he moved to Syracuse and entered into business as above, in which he has been very successful and now controls the entire trade of this flourishing village. Mr. Marshall was married October 8, 1876, to Miss Ellen J. Hollister, who was born in New York State, March 22, 1859. Mrs. Marshall came to Walworth County, Wis., with her parents when a child, but after landing at their destination her mother died, leaving her in the hands of her grandmother who adopted her and gave her an education. She moved to Webster City, Iowa, and from there to Plattsmouth, where she met and married her present husband, Mr. Marshall. They were married by the Rev. T. Baird, a Presbyterian minister. They have one child, a son. Mr. Marshall is a member of the Masonic order and Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
MARSELL BRO, farmer, P. O. Syracuse, born in Canada, Province of Quebec, in 1840, and went to Essex County, N. Y., with his father, and in 1870, left and came to Nebraska, and settled on Section 13, Town 8, Range 11, 320 acres bought from speculators. He was married to Miss Mary Hyme, who lived in New York State, on May 20, 1864, and have three children--William, born April 11, 1875; Jennie, November 3,1870; Lydia, March 27, 1865. Mr. Bro is one of the best farmers in this county, and has one of the finest situated farms.
THOMAS H. NUTT, farmer, P. O. Syracuse, was born in Allegheny County, Pa., February 13, 1841, and came to Jackson County, Ohio, 1852, and was engaged in farming at home until 1879, when he bought a small farm, and commenced on his own account. In 1861, enlisted in Company E, Twenty-seventh Ohio Infantry, and was captured in Jackson County, Mo., same year, and paroled, and then mustered out; then volunteered again in Seventh Ohio Cavalry, September 16, 1862, and was discharged July 8, 1865, and went home again. Was married May, 1868, to Minerva F. Dill, of Jackson County, Ohio, and moved to Nebraska, and settled at Syracuse, and bought eighty acres on Section 28, Town 8, Range 11, and have three children.
MRS. M. E. PATTERSON, P. O. Syracuse, wife of Mr. William Patterson, pattern-maker in the Marsh Harvester Company's works, at Minneapolis. He was born March 18, 1813, in Kent County, Canada, and went from there to friends in Michigan, then to Geneva, N. Y., and learned his trade, and from there to Albany, and married Miss M. E. Warner, the eldest daughter of Ebenezer C. Warner, of Onondaga County, N. Y. She was born September 22, 1822, and moved to Albany, N. Y., when a child, with her parents, and remained there until 1857, and was married, as above stated, in 1840. They engaged in the furniture business in Albany for a number of years, then moved to the town of New Lisbon, Columbiana Co., Ohio, where they engaged in the furniture business, and remained there for twenty years. Then removed to Otoe County, Neb., and settled on 200 acres given to Mrs. Patterson, by her father, on Section 7, Town 8, Range 11. Mrs. Patterson, nearly unaided, has managed to break and cultivate sixty-five acres, and has built a fine two story house 36x20, and all necessary out buildings. She has an orchard of 300 bearing trees, and 150 grapes, and an abundance of small fruit. During these years in Nebraska, they lost a son, who was killed in Texas, while serving as Marshal. They have one son, in the regular army, at present out among the Indians. They have a span of mules, and a fine young horse, eight cows, and twenty head of hogs.
HENRY PECK, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Syracuse, raiser of thorough bred Berkshire hogs and Short-horned cattle, has in stock now the best specimens in the State, and intends carrying on the branch of business extensively. Mr. P. was born in the town of Burland, Tolland Co., Conn., in 1846, and remained there until 1857, where he got a common school education, and learned the machinist trade, then moved to Harrison County, Iowa, and remained for two years, and from there went to Syracuse, where he turned his attention to the carpenters' trade, which proved successful, and remunerative, having been one of the first builders in this county, he has built some of the best buildings in Syracuse, and surrounding country; and is now an extensive farmer and stock raiser, as mentioned above. Was married at Council Bluffs, Iowa, to Miss Ellen A. Smith, of Harrison County, Iowa, who was born in Delaware County, N. Y., State, 1854, and came to Iowa with parents at the age of twelve years. Have five children--Giles H., born July 26, 1873; Phoebe K., December 4, 1874; Jessie M., September 7, 1879; Burton R., March 17, 1881; Laura A., August 24, 1877.
WILLIAM POWELL, carriage and wagon maker, P. O. Syracuse, was born in Stark County, Ohio, March 19, 1843, and moved to Helena, Neb., with his parents in May, 1857, being among the first settlers in Johnson County, then run over by Indians. His father took a claim of 160 acres, on which he lived until his death, in October, 1864. William's mother still lives on the same place. Mr. P. was Justice of the Peace for many years in his precinct. William learned his trade in Helena, Johnson County, and in 1874 started in business in Sterling, same county, and remained there one year. He then went on a farm, in South Branch Precinct, Otoe County, one year, and in 1876, moved to Syracuse, and started business as above. He was married September 26, 1869, to Miss Aurilla Stanley, who was born in Woodville, Ohio. They have three children--Joseph, born September 18, 1870; Angelia, February 13, 1878; Willie, April 5, 1879. He enlisted August 3, 1864, in Company A, First Nebraska Veteran Cavalry, and was discharged July 1, 1866.
H. F. PRICE, blacksmith, P. O. Syracuse. Established 1874; second shop built in Syracuse. Born in Franklin County, Ind., May 10, 1840, and learned his trade in the town of Plattsmouth, Cass Co., Neb., in 1864, and succeeded J. W. Johnston, his former employer, who gave up business on account of being elected Sheriff. Mr. Price ran the business successfully for six years, and then came to Syracuse, and built a shop, then sold out and built again. During the war, he was on the plains. He was married on April 7, 1864, to Miss Martha I. Randal, of Illinois. Have had three sons and one daughter--Charles, born August 7, 1866; Birdie, September 15, 1868; Georgie, March 12, 1872; Frankie, March 14, 1875.
L. B. PRICE, butcher and packer, of the firm of Hartman & Price. Was born in Shawnee, Monroe Co., Pa., October 4, 1832, remained there until 1840, when he moved with his parents to Henryville, same county where he got a common school education and remained there until 1854, then left home, and in 1862, enlisted in the Engineer Department and went to Tennessee and remained there for two years and was discharged in 1864, from there to Kewanee, Ill., and engaged as carpenter and joiner for one year, then to Colodon, Mo., and engaged in contracting and building for a short time, then was traveling for about two years, and settled in Nebraska City for two years, as carpenter, until October, 1881, when he entered into partnership with Mr. Hartman as butcher and packer. Married Miss Ellen Posten of Monroe County, Pa., in 1874, where she was born in 1834. Mr. Price is a prominent member of the K. of H.
E. C. REED, farmer, P. O. Syracuse. Born in Pickaway County, Ohio, July 29, 1857, and came to Otoe County and settled on Section 5, town 7, Range 12, with parents, and remained at home until December 12, 1871, when he was married to Miss Leona Dunbar, the third daughter of John Dunbar, Esq., the founder of the village of Dunbar.
HENRY ROSE, well sinker. Born near Fremont, Sandusky Co., Ohio, November 7, 1841, then removed to Morrow County with parents at the age of thirteen, and remained until 1861, when he enlisted April 7, and served a term of three months. Re-enlisted and served until August 28, 1865, when he was finally discharged. He was wounded at the battle of Kenesaw Mountain, June 18, 1864, and never done any more active work in the service. Came home and engaged in the sawmill business for five years, when he got married to miss Ella Utley, a sister of Mr. V. C. Utley, Esq., of Syracuse. She was born in Delaware County, Ohio, in 1844, and have two children; Howard, born March 7, 1872, Charles, born June 31, 1878. Mr. Rose engaged in sinking wells in Johnson, Cass and Otoe counties, about 1871, and has carried on the business very successfully ever since, his charges being reasonable, only sixty-five cents per foot for a thirty-five foot well for labor, and sixty-five cents extra for furnishing material for same kind of well, so the settler can see at a glance that it don't cost much for water.
BURTON H. SHOEMAKER, farmer and carpenter, P. O. Syracuse. Born in Wyoming County, Pa., in March 29, 1834, where he remained until 1842. After serving an apprenticeship at the carpenter trade he went to Delaware County, Ohio, where he engaged at his trade in partnership with a friend for four years, then to Jones County, Iowa, where he engaged at building two years, then back to Wyoming, Pa., where he remained six years, and enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Thirty-second Pennsylvania volunteer Infantry, and was discharged on account of disability and in the spring of 1863, came to Nebraska and settled on a homestead in Otoe County, 160 acres, Section 9, Township 8, Range 11, and has been engaged at his trade and farming since settling here. He was married in Delaware, Ohio, to Miss Martha J. Brownell, a daughter of Dr. Soloman Brownell of Otoe County, February 22, 1857. They have one daughter and two sons.
T. D. SLOSSON, P. O. Syracuse, of the firm of Barnes & Slosson, manufacturers of wagons, carriages, buggies, etc. Born in Kalamo, Eaton Co., Mich., February 13, 1857, where he received a common school education, and remained until March 13, 1879, and came to Syracuse, Neb., and has worked for Barnes Bros., at his trade as painter, until entered into partnership. Was married February 15, 1882, to Miss Celestia Babcock, who was born in Kalamo, Mich., December 25, 1857.
W. C. SLOSSON, of the firm of Slosson & Davis, dealers in agricultural implements. Highest market price paid for fat cattle and hogs, baled hay and ear corn. Born in Onondaga County, N. Y., February 13, 1841, where he received a common school education, and in February, 1871, he came to Nebraska and settled in Syracuse, Otoe Co., and engaged in farming until 1879, when he engaged in dealing in agricultural implements, and stock. He was married to Miss Mary F. Eastwood, January 24, 1865. They have three children; eldest named Cora, born October 30, 1867, Fred, born January, 1875, Harry, February, 1877.
PAMELLA G. SMITH, hotel keeper, Syracuse, second daughter of George and Phoebe Passmore, who were Quakers, born in Chester County, Pa., February 7, 1831, where she remained until May 2, 1850. She was married in Mahoning County, Ohio, to Mr. William Gaskill, and remained in Mahoning County four years. Then moved to Jennings County, Ind., where they remained until September 9, 1859, when Mr. Gaskill died. He was born in Salem, Columbiana Co., Ohio, May 25, 1827, and lived there until 1850, when he was married as above. He learned the carpenter's trade and was engaged in the building business until his death. He left a wife and three children. He was an affectionate husband, kind father and an obliging neighbor. His widow after remaining so for over a year, married Hiram Smith, September 11, 1858, in Jennings County, Ind., who was born in Fayette County, Pa., October 25, 1817, and at the age of sixteen took to earning his living by working at farming by the month. He enlisted August 6, 1861, in Company H, Twenty-sixth Indiana Infantry, and served during the war and was noted as a brave and true soldier. He was discharged December 1, 1866, for disability. Then came home and engaged in farming until 1879, when he sold his farm owing to ill health, and came to Syracuse, and is now engaged in keeping a grocery and restaurant. They have two children--Joseph Wilson Smith, was born August 6, 1857; Hiram Chester, born December 31, 1864. Mrs. Smith by her former husband had two children, still living, Charles Gaskill, born August 2, 1854; and George P. Gaskill, born October 3, 1856.
JACOB SOLLONBERGER, farmer, Syracuse P. O. Born in Montgomery County, Ohio, November 25, 1825, where he remained until 1856. Engaged in farming on a rented farm. From there he went to Rockland County, Wis., engaged in carpentering and building, and from there in July, 1857, came to Otoe County, Neb., and pre-empted 100 acres. He was elected to the Legislature in 1860, and served one term; then Justice of the Peace in 1870, and served two terms, and has been on the school board ever since coming to the State. He is a staunch Republican in politics and a prominent Odd Fellow. Married in 1844, to Miss Mary Dunlop, of Shelby County, Ohio, and have seven children.
WILLIAM STANBRO, carpenter, joiner and builder; business established in the spring of 1879, on Lower Fifth street. Then moved to Upper Fifth street. Mr. S. was born at Canal Dover, Tuscarawas Co., Ohio, October 20, 1849; moved with his parents to Winchester, Randolph Co., Ind., and remained there a short time, when he went to Union City, Ind., where he received a common school education. Left home and worked on the C. C. & I. C. R. R., between Columbus and Chicago, until the spring of 1871, when he moved to Nebraska City and worked on the Midland Pacific Railroad in Nebraska, for about two years. Then in September 11, 1873, came to Syracuse and engaged in farming and teaming for two years. Then learned the carpenter's trade, and with industry and perseverance has met with success since entering into business for himself. He was married August 20, 1877, to Miss Jennie Tudor, a native of Wales, who died January 1, 1877. He was married May 16, 1882, to Mrs. M. A. Evarts of this county, a native of Canada. They have one son, and one daughter. Mr. S. is a prominent member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Good Templars, and the T. of H., and has held the office of Constable for some time, to the entire satisfaction of those who elected him.
JONAS SUGDEN, farmer and stock raiser, was born in Keightley, Yorkshire, England, March 7, 1834, where he learned his trade as machinist, and emigrated to this continent in 1855, and traveled over Upper Canada but did not like the country and in 1865 we find him engaged at his trade in Buffalo, N. Y.; but not contented he, with very little money, turned his face westward in search of a location, but never struck anything of a paying nature until he turned his attention to tilling the rich soil of Nebraska. His means were nearly exhausted when he took up a homestead of 160 acres in the center of Otoe County, and had to husk corn on shares and chop wood to earn bread for himself and family. Since then he has worked steadily on, and never has lost a crop since he settled in the State; but had to work and save for the first five years of his settlement. He had to improve his land and to purchase necessaries on credit, but now he is entirely out of debt and contented with his position, which he could not be induced to change. He has an improved farm of 320 acres, 20 acres of planted timber, and an orchard of twenty acres; a good frame house costing $1000, and all necessary out buildings and farm implements of the latest and the best improvements. He ships all his stock to Chicago, which plan has proved successful. Mr. S. was married to Miss Jessie Butchard, of Aberdeen, Scotland. They have nine children. Although he is now able to retire from active life, we find him still in the harness attending to his farm, buying, selling and raising stock and as active as ever. He is ever ready to turn an honest penny. A short time ago he saw an opening for a harness shop, and did not hesitate to put money into the business, and now has a good remunerative business. At home we find him a good husband, a kind father and an obliging neighbor.
G. H. THORP, miller in Mohrman & Co.'s Mills, at Syracuse, Neb., was born in Cuyahoga, Ohio, on November 26, 1850. Moved with his parents to Marshall County, Iowa, in June, 1857; was engaged on a farm; went to Nebraska City in August 1869, where he learned his trade of E. F. Thorp now of Hamburgh, Iowa. Mr. Thorp took charge of the Nebraska City Mills in 1876, and continued until they were burned. Then moved to Syracuse, where he has had charge of the Otoe Mills ever since. These mills are built of stone, 27x37, three stories high, with basement; had two run of buhrs; were erected by Messrs. Boydston & Heth in 1868, and were operated by them until 1870, when G. W. McKee bought Boydston out. Messrs. McKee & Heth operated them until March, 1871, when they were burned. They were rebuilt the same year and operated by them until 1874, when James Wood bought Heth out. Messrs. McKee & Wood operated or leased them until November, 1881, when they were bought by Messrs. J. C. Mohrman & Co., and were rebuilt and fitted up with the latest improved machinery, under the supervision of Mr. Thorp. The mills are now known as the Syracuse Flouring Mils. Mr. Thorp was married in 1875 to Miss Elizabeth Decker.
TOMLIN, DUFF & CO., dealers in all kinds of grain. This business was established in 1872 under the firm name of N. A. Duff & Co., who carried it on until 1877, when Mr. Tomlin entered into partnership, and they built their elevator in 1879. They have three other elevators; one at Unadilla, one at Dunbar, and one at Nebraska City, all of which are doing a good business. They bought and shipped at this point in 1880, 950,000 bushels; in 1881 about 800,000. Mr. Duff was born in Lafayette County, Wis., September 15, 1852; was educated at Notre Dame, Ind., in 1869, and entered into the business as described above. Married Miss Mary Armstrong, of Nebraska City, in May, 1878, and they have one daughter.
UTLEY & BROWN, livery and sale stables, situated on east side of Mohawk street. Established October 20, 1881, with five horses and rigs, and now have increased to eight horses and rigs. Mr. Utley was born in Pagetown, Delaware County, February 16, 1854, and came to Syracuse with parents in 1864, where he was educated. Married to Miss Amelia A. Paterson, of Otoe County, third daughter of the late William Paterson; has one daughter, Adda May, born February 26, 1879.
H. T. VOSE, farmer, Section 13, Township 8, Range 10, and has a stone quarry covering twenty acres, which supplies the surrounding country with building stone, lintels, sills, etc. The stone of which the State Penitentiary is built is largely from this quarry. He has lithograph stone which has been highly recommended by eminent men from Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, and other leading cities. We give some of the recommendations received by Mr. Vose. Prof. James Dana, principal editor of Art and Science Journal, of New Haven, says in a recent letter: "The stone sent us by you surpasses anything produced from any quarry in the United States for lithographic purposes, and will come into general use if properly handled." Mr. Everetts, of Philadelphia, says: "My foreman reports that the stone to hand from Mr. Vose, of Syracuse, is hard enough to stand the pressure of lithographic printing, and does well for engraving." Mr. Vose has succeeded in quarrying some very fine and valuable specimens from seven to ten feet long. Mr. Vose settled and recorded the seventeenth entry in Otoe County. He was in the Mexican war, but has settled where he intends spending the remainder of his days. He is a Baptist minister, a good citizen, and moderate in politics.
EBERT J. WARNER, farmer, P. O. Syracuse. Born in Onondaga County, N. Y., June 4, 1852, and came to Nebraska in 1863 with mother and brothers and located here on Section 9, Township 8, Range 11, eighty acres, in 1873. Married in 1873 to Miss Sarah Still, of Otoe County, born in 1852 in Boone County, Ohio, and came here with mother and brothers; have three children, two sons and one daughter. Mr. W. is a staunch Republican in politics.
G. W. WARNER, farmer, Section 10, P. O. Syracuse, was born, February 22, 1831, in Onondaga County, N. Y. In 1856, he went to Black Hawk County, Iowa, for one year, and worked at his trade as carpenter and joiner. Then returned home, and in 1857 returned to Nebraska and pre-empted the old mill site at Nursery Hill, Otoe County, and sold it in 1863 to Samuel Master, Esq. Then bought 240 acres on Section 10, Township 8, Range 11, which is one of the finest farms in Otoe County, there being a large orchard of choice fruit trees, apple, peach, cherries, grapes and small fruit, all of which is in a very thrifty condition. He was elected Justice of the Peace in 1861, being the first justice elected in the seven surrounding precincts. He was one of the first settlers in this part of the State. He married Miss Elizabeth Brownell, of this county, who was born in Ohio. They were married in 1858, and have four children.
FERDINAND WITT, P. O. Syracuse, was born in Germany, April 28, 1832, and emigrated to Nebraska July 21, 1865, and rented a farm near Nebraska City for eight years. Then to Section 29, Township 9, Range 11, 160 acres railroad land. Was married in Germany in 1847, to Miss Wilhelmina Beckard, who was born August 24, 1824. they have three sons and three daughters, all living.
M. E. WOLKEN, born in Hanover, Germany, December 8, 1847, and emigrated October 13, 1869, and settled in Nebraska City, and engaged by the month on a farm as a general laborer until 1878, when he bought a farm of eighty acres on Section 5, Township 8, Range 11. He was married in 1873 to Miss Anna Schonheim, who was born in Oldenburg, Germany, February 25, 1855.
JOSIAH YOUNG, farmer, Section 1, P. O. Syracuse, was born in Schoharie County, N. Y., September 22, 1819, and moved to Onondaga with his parents at the age of two years, and lived at home until 1841. Bought sixty-four acres in Cicero, in Onondaga County, and farmed seven years, and then purchased a steam saw mill, which he ran five years, and then sold out. soon after selling the mill took fire and was burnt. Then Mr. Young bought the site and built again, adding a store, and ran it five years. Then came to Nebraska and engaged as salesman for the Spaulding & Co.'s Nursery, of Springfield Ill. Then worked at his trade for one year, and then went East again and superintended the erection of a steam grist mill and saw mill in Cicero, Onondaga Co., N. Y. Then returned to Nebraska and settled on Section 1, Township 8, Range 11, where he has 325 acres. He was married September 23, 1842, to Miss Mary Cook, of the same county. He is a staunch Republican, and a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity.
O. M. YOUNG, farmer, Section 1, Township 8, Range 11 east, P. O. Syracuse was born in Onondaga County, N. Y. August 27, 1849, and remained at home with his parents until 1872, when they came to Nebraska and settled on Section 1, Township 8, Range 11, for three years. Then settled on 110 acres in Section 1; Township 8, Range 11. He was married October 11, 1874, to Miss E. A. Pound. They have two children: Edith L. aged six years, and Josiah M., four year old. He is a staunch Republican, and a prominent member of the K. of H.