Location and Physical Features | Primitive Occupants|
The First Settler | Indian Depredations | Pioneer Events
County Seat Contest | Burning of the Jail | Court House|
Legislative Representation | Statistical | The Press
Criminal | Schools | Railroads
Crete: Early History | Doane College | Religious|
Crete (cont.): Schools | Crete Public Library | The Press|
Secret Orders | Business Interests
Manufacturing Interests | Opera House
Crete (cont.): Biographical Sketches|
Crete (cont.): Biographical Sketches [cont.]|
Wilber: Early History | Banks | Manufactories | Schools|
Religious | Secret Societies | The Press
Wilber: Biographical Sketches [cont.]|
South Fork Precinct. [Biographical Sketch]
DeWitt: Local Matters | Biographical Sketches|
Dorchester: Early History | Local Matters|
Friend: Early History | Banks -- Schools and Churches|
Societies | Newspaper | Biographical Sketches
Pleasant Hill: Biographical Sketches
Swan City | Western | Atlanta Precinct [Biographical Sketch]
List of Illustrations in Saline County Chapter
E. S. ABBOTT, attorney at law, was born in Bradford County, PA., in 1836, remaining there until 1849, when he went to Illinois with his parents, who settled in Grundy County, remaining there four years, then removed to Iowa, settling in Hardin County. E. S., after remaining there two years, went to Wheaton, Ill., where he attended the Illinois Institute for two years; from there to Chicago, to the Law Department of "The University of the City of Chicago," where he graduated in 1861; then went to Leland, LaSalle Co., Ill., and commenced the practice of law, and continued the same until 1873, when he came West and located at Pleasant Hill, then the county seat of Saline County, where he engaged in the law practice until 1878, when, upon the removal of the county seat from Pleasant Hill, he removed to and located at Crete, where he continued the law practice. In May, 1878, Mr. Abbott went with Gen. Victor Vifquain and William T. Meads, to Lincoln, and founded the Da ly State Democrat. Mr. A. put in the entire capital, Vifquain was political editor, and Meads had charge of the printing. At the end of three months, Mr. A. sold the paper to Gen. Vifquain, and returned to his law practice at Crete, his family having remained at Crete during the time. Was married in 1862, to Miss E. Springstead, of LaSalle County, Ill. They have four children--Guy L., Lysle I., Raymond J., and Blanche.
S. L. ANDREWS, grain merchant, was born in Franklin County, Pa., in 1826; lived there until 1846, then settled in Knox County, Ill., and from there went to Henry County, remaining there until 1877, when he located in Nebraska, and engaged in buying and shipping grain. Previous to coming to Nebraska, was engaged in grain and lumber business, and for ten years was operating a large flouring mill in Henry County, Ill. From 1850 to 1855 was mining in California. In 1880, was elected Mayor of Crete, and re-elected in 1881. Was married in 1862, in Warren County, Ill., to Miss Frances Talbot; have four children--Albert, Carlos, Grace, and Maud. Is a member of Crete Lodge, No. 37, A., F. & A. M.; and also of Mount Zion Chapter No. 17.
JACOB BAHNER, flour-merchant, was born in Pennsylvania, in 1852, where he remained the most of the time until 1876, when he removed to Michigan, and remained there about two years. In 1878, settled in Nebraska, and located in Crete, and engaged in the livery business for the first eight months, after which he opened a grocery store. In 1880, was burned out, losing about $3,000, and soon after opened an exclusively flour and feed store. In 1868, was married to Miss Ella Schettley, of Michigan. Have two children, Ada May and Frank Earl.
A. J. BARRAGAR, druggist, was born near Toronto, Canada West, in 1850. When two years of age, moved with his parents to Fond du Lac, Wis., where he passed his early years in attending school, and graduated at Ripon College in 1868. The same year went to Pleasant Hill, Mo. and opened a livery stable, which he ran four years; when he went to Texas, and became a conductor on the H. & T. C. R. R. When he had been on the road eighteen months, he met with an accident by being caught between the car and water-tank, and was obliged to give up the business for a short time; was then given a passenger train, but had only been with that about six months when he was again smashed up, and came near losing his life. He concluded that railroading was not his calling, and when his health would permit opened a retail and wholesale tobacco and confectionery store at Austin, Texas, remaining one year. In 1877, settled in Crete, Neb., and was employed in the drug store of Joseph Band until January 1878, when he accepted the position of bookkeeper and foreman in S. L. Andrews' elevator, remaining with him four year; also kept four sets of books for other parties. In January, 1882, bought the drug business of Kerr & Burket; was elected City Treasurer in 1879 and in 1880, and was Tax Collector during this time. He is a member of Crete Lodge, I. O. O. F., No. 27. and Crete Lodge, No. 37. A., F. & A. M., and Mount Zion Chapter, No. 17; also of Saline Lodge, No. 1496, K. of H. Was married in 1876, at Austin, Texas, to Miss Lizzie Erwin, of that place.
BARRAGAR & MOORE, proprietors Crete Wind Mill Co. C. R. Barragar, the senior member of the firm, was born in Canada West, in 1838. In 1851, emigrated to Wisconsin, and located in Sheboygan County; then went to Fond du Lac County, where he lived on the farm with his father until 1858, when he went to Waupun and finished the carpenter trade, which he had worked at some time previous to coming from Canada. In 1861, enlisted with Third Wisconsin Infantry, in Company D. as private, but was rapidly promoted until he became Captain of his Company; received several wounds, and was discharged August 26, 1865. Returning to Waupun, he engaged in the building and contracting business, and remained until 1871, when he went to Chicago, where he engaged in contracting and building until the spring of 1874, when he located in Crete, Neb., and bought the right to manufacture the Raymond Vaneless Wind Mill, for the State of Nebraska and Dakota Territory, and also secured the State right for the sale of the Baker Vaneless Wind Mill of Nebraska, and has the north tier of counties in Kansas. Was married in 1861, at Ripon, Wis., to Miss Sarah Corbet. Have one daughter, Grace, born 1875. Is a member of Crete Lodge, I. O. O. F., No. 27, Saline Lodge, 1496, and of Holland Post. No. 75.
W. H. BARSTOW, stock dealer, was born in Alabama, in December, 1853, but was taken very soon thereafter to Newton Center, Mass., by his parents, where he lived until fall of 1861; from there moved to Haverhill, N. H., where he remained until fall of 1870, when he entered the Agricultural College at Amherst, Mass. In 1874, went to Boston, entering wholesale stationery house of Ward & Gay. In spring of 1876, removed to Crete, Neb.; engaged in grain business for a year and one-half. In spring of 1878, engaged in stock business with Col. Thomas Doane, but since summer of 1881, has been alone in business. For the past two or three winters has fed from two to three car-loads of steers, this year three cars; has in addition to that number about 270 stock cattle. His stock yards cover twenty acres of land, and are finely located in Big Blue River; has between 500 and 600 head of sheep. He married in September, 1880, in Crete, Neb., Emma C. Whittlesey. He is a member of the Knights of Honor; has been a member of the State Board of Agriculture for two years, and now on second term, and is Vice-President County Agricultural Society.
JOHN BATHEN, lumber dealer, was born in Germany in 1841, and in 1866 came to America and located at St. Louis, where he was employed by W. Ganahl in his lumber yard at that place. In 1879 he came to Nebraska, and went into the lumber business with Mr. Ganahl. In 1870, at St. Louis, was married to Miss Martha Kretzer. In 1870, he lost his wife, and was married again in 1879 to Miss Frances Kretzer of Crete. They have two children--George and Annie. Mr. B. was in the Prussian army three years previous to coming to America.
T. A. C. BEARD, Justice of the Peace, was born in Westminster, Worcester Co., Mass., in December, 1821. In 1843 he removed to Vermont, taking a contract on the Vermont Central Railroad. In 1849 he went to Canada, where he had a contract on the St. Johns & Lopuin. In the fall of 1851 he came to Winnebago County, Illinois, where he engaged in farming and handling grain and stock until 1872, when he came to Nebraska, locating in Crete, and went into the grain business until the winter of 1879-80, when he went into express and drayage. In November, 1881 he was elected Justice of the Peace, which office he now fills. He was married in 1840, in Danville, Vt., to Harriet Woodedge. They have two children--Maria and Salina. His wife died in 1846, and at Sharon, Vt., married Olive L. Smith. They have one child--George. Mr. B. is a member of Blue Lodge of Crete, No. 37, A., F. & A. M.
L. T. BENJAMIN was born in Allen, Allegany Co., N. Y., in 1849, remaining there until 1867, when he removed to Lima, N. Y., where he attended Genesee College until 1871. From there he removed to Nunda, N. Y., where he read law, but the following year he removed to Seward, Neb., where he ran theNebraska Atlas until 1874. In the latter year he was admitted to the bar. He removed to Crete in 1875, and engaged in loan and brokerage business. He is a member of Blue Lodge Chapter and Council, A., F. & A. M.
C. M. BURKET, manager of Cosmopolitan Hotel, was born in Dixon, Lee Co., Ill., in 1856, working at farming with his brother until 1877, when he settled in Nebraska and located at Crete, and opened a drug store in connection with B. C. Kerr. In June, 1881, he went into the hotel with his father-in-law, Mr. Code, and has had the management of the house since. In June, 1882, he sold his interest in the drug business to W. Barragar. Mr. Burket received a normal school education, finishing his studies at the college at Dixon. He was married March, 1879, to Miss Eliza Code of Crete. Mr. B. has a No. l hotel, and has made a host of friends among the traveling public during the short time he has been in the house.
PETER BUENGER was born in Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Germany; came to America in August, 1866, and stopped in New York four weeks; remained in Chicago fifteen months, and came to Cass County, Neb., where he remained six months. He then took up a homestead in Olive Branch Precinct, Lancaster County, in the spring of 1868, and gave his time to farming and stock raising. In the fall of 1876 he bought out in Crete a saloon and billiard hall, and has been engaged in the same since then. He keeps a first class bar, and runs three J. M. Brunswick, Balke & Co.'s first class billiard tables. He is putting up on West Thirteenth street one of the best business houses of the city, to be completed about the 1st of July, 1882.
ANTHONY H. CHLOUPEK, harness dealer, was born in Manitowoc, Wis., in 1852, where he remained until 1872, when he removed to Milwaukee, where he followed the trade of harness maker for two years. In 1874 he removed to Crete, Neb., and has followed for the most part of the time the harness trade. He was married in 1877, in California, to Fannie Axamite. They have one child--Arthur D. Mr. C. is a member of I. O. O. F., Knights of Honor and Camp 75, Caucassia.
J. P. CLAREY, cashier Citizens' Bank, was born in Caledonia, Livingston Co., N. Y., in 1851. He moved to Portage, Wis., shortly thereafter with his parents, where he remained until 1870, when he removed to Nebraska, settling at Plattsmouth, where he was with John Fitzgerald, railroad builder, until 1873. During this time there was built by Mr. Fitzgerald the Lake Superior Extension of the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad from Marinette to Escanaba, Mich., through the Peshtigo burnt district, the Creston and Chariton branches of the Burlington and Missouri River R.R., Iowa, and the Burlington and Missouri River R. R. in Nebraska from Dorchester to Kearney Junction. In 1873 he settled in Crete, Neb., where he held the position of bookkeeper of the State Bank, but shortly after was appointed assistant cashier, which position he held until 1876, and afterward until June, 1879, as cashier. In August, 1879, the Citizens' Bank was organised, and Mr. Clarey elected as cashier, which position he holds at the present time. He married in December, 1876, Louisa H. Davis. They have one child--Hugh. Mr. C. is a member of Blue Lodge and Chapter A., F. & A. M., and also of Knights of Honor.
A. CONRAD, M. D., physician and surgeon, Crete, was born in Germany. He came to America in 1876 and located at St. Louis, where he remained until 1880, when he located in Crete, Neb., and opened an office for the practice of medicine.
S. T. COREY, dealer in farm machinery was born in Pennsylvania, in 1844, going with his parents to Illinois in 1846, and in 1847 again went West, and located in Rock County, Wis., thence to Dodge County, where he remained until 1865, when he enlisted in the Forty-fourth Wisconsin Infantry, and was discharged in 1865; then went back to Dodge County, remaining until 1867. In the fall of 1866, in company with his brother-in-law, rented a saw and feed mill, and was with his brother-in-law in other enterprises until the spring of 1867. In the fall of 1867, he went to Iowa, remaining there until 1868, when he settled in Nebraska, taking a homestead on Section 32, Town 8, Range 4. Lancaster County. In 1870, opened a store with a general line of goods, in company with W. A. Harris, and, in the spring of 1873, his brother, J. K. Corey, bought an interest with them; and they also handle a line of farm machinery. In 1876, Mr. Harris withdrew from the firm, and they closed out the line of goods, and went into the machinery business exclusively, which they carried on until 1880, when Mr. Corey purchased his brother's interest, and continued alone in the business. Was married in 1867, at Kekoskee, Wis., to Miss Libbie Tepner, of that place, Is a member of the Crete Lodge, I. O. O. F., No. 27, Saline Lodge, 1496, K. of H., and Holland Post, G. A. R., No 75. In 1871, when the city was organized, he was appointed by the County Commissioners as one of the Town Board, and was made Councilman in 1872; re-elected in 1873; served as Councilman three years.
THOMAS L. DIXON was born in Jay, Maine, in 1849, where he lived until March, 1864, when he enlisted in Twelfth Maine Regiment, and served until close of war, being mustered out in summer of 1865. Returned to Maine, entering school. In February, 1866, removed to Mercer County, Ill., where he followed teaching until 1874, when he removed to Nebraska, settling at Pleasant Hill, at that time the county seat of Saline County; afterward removed to Crete, where he followed teaching and dealing in agricultural implements, etc. Was elected County Superintendent of Public Instruction in 1877, serving four years. Married, in 1871, in Muscatine, Iowa, to Mary A. McLaughlin. He is a member of Blue Lodge, A., F. & A. M.
D. T. DRAKE, furniture dealer, was born in Jefferson County, N. Y., in 1839. His early years were spent in attending school, and at work in his father's carpenter shop. In August, 1862, enlisted in the Eighteenth New York Heavy Artillery, but was transferred to the Second New York Artillery, and was promoted until he was commissioned a Lieutenant, and was discharged October, 1865. After returning from the army, engaged in farming until 1867, when he returned West and located in Iowa, remaining a short time. In the spring of 1879, located a homestead in Section 12, Crete Precinct, where he remained until 1874, when he located in Crete, and was engaged in several enterprises until 1880, when he engaged in the furniture business, and also handles a line of carriages manufactured at Racine, Wis. In 1864, was married to C. M. Tower, of Fayetteville, Jefferson Co., N. Y. They have have one son, D. J., born August, 1881. Is a member of Holland Post, No. 75. G. A. R; also of Crete Lodge, No. 27, I. O. O. F., and of Saline Lodge, No. 1496, K. of H., and is a Representative of the Grand Lodge, K. of H.; also Grand Lodge Member of I. O. O. F. In 1873, was elected as one of the State Agricultural Board, holding the same six years.
CENEK DURAS, ex-County Treasurer, Crete, was born in Bohemia, in 1846; came to America in 1866, settling in St. Louis, remaining there about a year, obtaining work in a printing office, going from there to Chicago, where he remained about one year; returning to St. Louis, remaining another year; returning again to Chicago, where he opened a job printing office, also published a Bohemian paper called the Papor Svobody, until 1873, when he came to Omaha, Neb.; thence to Crete, and published a part of the Saline County Post in the Bohemian language. From 1875 to '77, was engaged in buying and selling stock. In 1877, he was elected to the office of County Treasurer, and in 1879 was re-elected to the office of County Treasurer, Saline County, holding the office from January 1, 1880, to January 4, 1882. Mr. Duras is a member of the Blue Valley Lodge, No. 64, A., F. & A. M., Wilber, Neb. Was married in Chicago, 1871, to Miss Mary Spirk. They have four children--Ida, aged eleven; Charlie, seven; Victor, three, and Nora, one year old. Mr. D. is a thorough business man, and highly respected by his people, and in fact by all who know him.
DANIEL A. FERRIER, superintendent of F. I. Foss' stock yards. at Crete, was born in Ogle County, Ill., in 1853. In 1854 went with his parents to Williams County, Ohio, where he remained until 1871, when he came to Nebraska and located in Fillmore County, and took a homestead on Section 10, Township 7, Range 4, west, where he remained four years. Then he came to Crete and was employed by Bridges & Johnston, in the flouring mill, remaining with them two years, and was then employed by different stock men to take the management of their stock and shipments. Was with the Toogood Bros., then with J. C. Birney, and at last Mr. Foss secured his service, as he is a rapid penman and fine accountant. In 1874 was married to Miss Mary E. Bozarth, of Crete. They have three children, George E., Emma P. and L. A.
A. S. FLINT, broom manufacturer, was born in Rochester, N. Y., in 1839, going to Lockport soon after, remaining there about eight years. In 1856 went to Milwaukee, where he received his education and was employed as a salesman in a large grocery house for a number of years; then went to Michigan and was engaged in the mercantile trade; going from there to Nebraska in 1870. Locating at Saltillo, where he opened a store of general merchandise and was Postmaster five years, after which he went to farming and raising broom corn, and then into the manufacture of brooms. In 1880 moved to Crete and opened a broom factory, and will build an extensive factory some time during 1882. Enlisted in 1862, in Company K., Thirtienth Wisconsin Infantry, and served two years. In 1871, was married at Saltillo, Nebraska, to Rowena Corey. They have two children, Charles M. and Eddie F.
F. I. FOSS, attorney at law, and president of the State Bank. Was born in Grafton, N. H., in 1852. In 1864 moved to Lyndon, Vt., where he was educated, being a student of Dartmouth College. In 1871, went to Boston and was employed, commencing in the packing room of one of the large wholesale dry goods houses, of Boston, and at the same time commenced the study of law, and was soon after employed by Hardy, Brown, Goss & Co., as traveling agent to attend to their collections until 1879, when he devoted two years to the completion of his profession, and was admitted to the bar in 1877. In 1878, settled in Nebraska, locating at Crete and engaged in the banking business, in connection with some other parties bought out the State Bank. Mr. Foss was elected president in 1881 and again in January, 1882, with D. B. Perry, vice-president; George D. Stevens, cashier; C. A. Caldwell, assistant cashier. Board of directors: F. I. Foss, Thomas Doane, Charles W. Doane, D. B. Perry, and Charles Band. With paid capital of $35,000, and undivided profits $20,000. Organized under the Nebraska banking laws in 1872. Mr. Foss is associated with Mr. J. W. Dawes in the law business and also extensively engaged in the stock business. Has a stockyard about one mile from the center of Crete, of eighty acres, which cost, with the land, about $10,000, and has about 1,000 head of cattle. Also owns a stock farm three and one-half miles northwest of Crete, where he keeps from 300 to 400 cows. Mr. Foss, in company with E. M. Dawes, will open a bank at DeWitt, Saline Co., in May, 1882. Was married in 1879 to Miss Mary E. Adams, of Detroit. They have one child.
H. S. FULLER, lumberman, was born in Ohio in 1844, spending his younger days there. In 1862 enlisted in the three months service in the Seventh Indiana Cavalry. Enlisted again in 1863, and was mustered out in 1865. Was there detailed and went into the Adjutant General's office at Washington, and was in the First Comptroller's office of the treasury until 1866. In 1869 was admitted to the bar, and in 1871 emigrated to Nebraska, locating at Ashland, where he began the practice of law. In 1872, was employed as cashier of the State Bank at Crete, until 1874. His health failing, he went into the lumber trade in company with J. L. Tidball; they also have yards at Friendville, Exeter and Fairmount. In 1881 Mr. Fuller went into company with Mr. Tidball and others in the banking business, of which Mr. Fuller is vice-president. They have an incorporated company with cash capital of $50,000. In 1870 he was married to Miss L. A. Brown, of Warren, Ohio. They have four children: Emma, Horace S., Jr., Jessie and Robert. Mr. Fuller is a member of Crete Lodge No. 37, A., F. & A. M., and is also high priest of Mount Zion Chapter No. 17.
ISAAC GOODIN, was born in Perry County, Ohio, April, 1817. Lived there until 1828, when he removed to Delaware, now Morrow County, Ohio, living there until 1853. Engaged until 1842 in farming, after which, until 1853, followed blacksmithing, and served as Justice of the Peace for nine years. In latter year moved to Blackford County, Ind., where he followed farming for four years, after which he was elected Sheriff of the County, serving for four years. In 1861, enlisted in Thirty-fourth Indiana Regiment, and was elected First Lieutenant of Company I. On December 27, 1861, resigned from service owing to sickness contracted in the service. Was appointed in the fall of 1862 by Gov. Morton, Enrolling and Drafting Commissioner for Blackford County, for the draft of that year, in 1863, was appointed Provost Marshal of that county, serving until fall of 1864, when he removed to Iowa County, Iowa, where he followed farming for nearly two years, when he was elected County Judge, serving one year, when by terms of the law served balance of the term as County Auditor. In August, 1869, removed to Saline County, Neb., following farming and in fall of 1870, was elected Representative from Tenth Representative District to the State Legislature. In 1873 was Assistant Sergeant-at-Arms of the same body. In 1874, was elected Probate Judge of Saline County. In 1879-80 elected Sergeant-at-Arms of House of Representatives. Was admitted to the bar in 1875, in Saline County. In 1880 was elected Police Judge and Justice of the Peace, which position he now holds. Is a Notary Public, married in August, 1838, in Morrow County, Ohio to Fannie Gardner. They have eight children. Two have died. Mr. G. is a member of the G. A. R. Mr. Goodin was appointed Postmaster at Bennington, Ohio, in 1849, under President Zach. Taylor, and served four years, and also appointed Postmaster at Hartford City, Ind., in July, 1861, and served untill the fall of 1864.
GEORGE H. HASTINGS, attorney-at-law, was born in McHenry County, Ill., in 1848. Lived there until 1869. In 1869, came to Nebraska, settled in Lincoln, where he was admitted to the bar and commenced the practice of law. In 1871 removed to Pleasant Hill, then county seat of Saline County, where he remained until summer of 1876, then removed to Crete, Neb., and has remained there ever since. Was married in December, 1874, in Aurora, Ill., to Helen Richardson. Mr. H. is a member of Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery of A., F. & A. M. In 1875 was elected a member of the House of Representatives to the State Legislature from Saline County. Resigned position of County Judge, to which he had been elected in 1874 to take the same. Is a Notary Public for Saline County. He is a member of the firm of Hastings & McGintie, attorneys, since 1871.
FRANK JOHNSON, head miller Crete Mills, was born in Monticello, Fayette Co., Wis., in 1854, where he remained until 1861, dividing his time between going to school and working on a farm. Then moved to Iowa, settling in Fayette County, where he was employed in a flouring mill, where he served the most of his time for ten years, finishing his education at that place. In 1875 went to Minneapolis, where he served one year in one of the large flouring mills, and gaining many points in his trade, he then returned to Iowa, and in 1880 settled in Nebraska. In July, 1880, took the position with Bridges & Johnston, as head miller. In 1874 was married at West Union, Iowa, to Miss Ella Davis of that place. They have four children, Maud, Ray, Lyle, and Fay. Is a member of Standard Lodge, No. 351, A., F. & A. M., of Fayette County, Iowa.