Sarpy County: Reminiscences of Sarpy | The Story of the Diamond|
Early Settlements | The Claim Club | Early Towns | Early Events
County Roster | Moving the County Seat | Education
Bellevue: Early History | Gov. Burt | Education | The Press|
Religious | Societies | Brick Maufacturing | Biographical Sketches
Papillion: Early Settlement | The County Court House | Churches|
Education | Societies | The Press | Hotels | Business Interests
Papillion (cont.): Biographical Sketches|
Springfield: Biographical Sketches|
Plattsford Precinct | Richland Precinct | Forest City | La Platte
List of Illustrations in Sarpy County Chapter
GEORGE BECKER, farmer, Section 16, Town 13, Range 12, was born in Albany, N. Y., October 23, 1848. When four years of age, moved with his parents to Huntington County, Ind., where he lived till October 1861, when he enlisted in the Forty-seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry. The regiment, after being organized at Camp Sullivan, Indianapolis, was ordered to Gen. Buell's Department in Kentucky, in December, 1861. From here they were marched to Camp Wickliffe, Muldrough's Hill, in command of Gen. Nelson, and were brigaded with the Sixth Kentucky, Forty-sixth Indiana and Forty-first Ohio, under Col. Hasen. They took an active part in the storming of Fort Donelson, after the surrender of which they were transferred to Gen. Pope's command February 20, 1862, and marched to Commerce, Mo. On the 14th of March, the Forty-seventh, with the Thirty-fourth Indiana, marched at 3 A.M. with orders to advance on the rifle pits 500 yards in front of the enemy's fire and storm New Madrid. The rebels retreated. Col. Slack marched part of the forces, the men hauling the cannon in and planting them so as to command the river, all being done in thirty-five minutes, effectually blockading the river. On the 18th the regiment, with the aid of one cannon, had an engagement with seven gunboats at Riddel's Point. Three of the boats were disabled, and the remainder of the fleet retreated. The Forty-seventh was shortly after placed in command of Tiptonville and its approaches till the 12th of May, when they embarked for Memphis with the Thirty-fourth Indiana. Were the first Union troops to enter that city, where they for a time did provost duty. The Forty-seventh accompanied the White Pine expedition via Duvall's Bluffs and St. Charles. February 8, they were ordered through the Yazoo Pass to remove obstructions, and had a skirmish. On the 24th they went a second time to the Pass, and to Fort Pemberton to support the gunboats De Kalb and Chillicothe. April 12, they returned to Helena, and the same day set out for Vicksburg, landing at Milliken's Bend. On the 15th, at Grand Gulf, they stormed the works, where, after a brilliant fight, they silenced the rebel batteries. At Port Gibson on the 30th of May, after an all-night's march, on half rations, fought till sundown, losing forty-seven mine, taking the fort June 2, and the next day skirmishing with the enemy at Elwood Station. On the 15th, the division advanced on Champion Hills, and in that terrible fight the Forty-seventh lost in killed and wounded 143 men. On the 23d, they reached Vicksburg, and took part in the siege till its surrender, July 4. Mr. Becker took part in every battle and skirmish with his regiment till their discharge at Baton Rouge, La., October 3, 1865. He was married in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, in March, 1868, to Letha C. Graham, who was born in Des Moines, Iowa, September. 4, 1847. They have five children-- Albert, born February 26, 1869; Lillie, October 1871; Maggie B., September 3, 1875; John C., October 14, 1878, and Allen, November 18, 1881.
S. F. BURTCH, born in Zanesville, Ohio, August 10, 1828; came West to Iowa in 1853; landed in Omaha in January, 1855, and was a clerk in the first Legislature held in Nebraska, which convened at Omaha January 16, 1855. Moved to a farm near Bellevue, in Sarpy County, in July, 1855; was engaged in freighting from Omaha to Fort Kearney, Fort Laramie and other Western military posts from 1859 to 1864, since which time he has resided in Sarpy County. Was a member of the Constitutional Convention held in Lincoln in 1875, and also a member of the Legislature in 1877, and Treasurer of Sarpy County from 1879 to 1882. The parents of Mr. Burtch, John and Elizabeth Paisley Burtch, came to Nebraska in 1855, and both died in Sarpy County, the father dying in 1864 at the age of seventy-four years, and his mother at the advanced age of seventy-seven years, in 1874. His father was a native of Virginia, and his mother a native of Pennsylvania.
AUGUSTUS W. CLARKE, banker, merchant, live stock and grain dealer. Mr. Clarke was born in Greenwich, N. Y., April 28, 1841, where he lived till the age of seven years, when his parents removed to Erie County, Penn., where he spent his boyhood days, when, in 1864, he came West, locating at Bellevue, in Sarpy County, Neb., and there entered the mercantile business with his brothers, H. T. and A. M. Clarke. In 1876, he removed to Papillion, erected a large store, and alone engaged extensively in the mercantile trade the following spring. In 1876, he also erected a large grain elevator with a steam power for elevating grain. Mr. Clarke was married in Erie County, Penn., December 25, 1860, to Miss Adelia E. Bell, of that county, who was born February 18, 1843. They have six children-- Mattie L., born June 17, 1862; Isaac D., December 31, 1863; Jessie B., December 3, 1867, Augustus W., Jr., I. Edward, April 30,. 1874, and Grace Esther, born May 4, 1881. Mr. Clarke also owns a large amount of fine farming land in Sarpy County, and is largely identified with the business interests of the town and county. He is one of four brothers, three of whom are residing in Nebraska, and all holding a large business in the State; one brother is in Pennsylvania, owning considerable property in that State.
BYRON CLARK, lawyer. Mr. Clark was born in Pekin, Ill., April 24, 1856, where he lived till the age of fourteen, when with his parents he removed to Cass County, Neb. In 1870, he entered the Prairie Institute at Nebraska City, where he remained one year, then entered the Nebraska State University, attending classical lectures there nearly four years. He then entered the law office of George S. Smith, of Plattsmouth, Neb. Read two and one- half years, and was admitted to the bar at the September term of the District Court in Plattsmouth in 1880. In 1881, he located a law office in Papillion, and since then has been actively engaged in the practice of law; was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Bench in June, 1880. Mr. Clark was married in Plattsmouth, May 5, 1881, to Miss Minnie Murphy, of that place.
JAMES E. CAMPBELL, dealer in lumber. Mr. Campbell was born in Switzerland County, Ind., January 15, 1847. Lived there and in Madison County till nine years of age, living also one year in Edinburg. In 1857, the family moved to Champaign County, Ill., where he attended the graded school of his place, and there learned the blacksmith's trade, working at his trade several years. He lived in St. Louis a few months and came to Sarpy County in the spring of 1870, opening a blacksmith shop in La Platte, continuing in business a year and a half. Came to Papillion in the fall of 1872, and followed his trade one year. In 1873, was elected County Clerk for Sarpy, and was re-elected in 1875 and in 1877, his last term expiring in December, 1879. In 1881, was elected County Treasurer. Was married in Papillion December 30, 1874, to Miss Lucia R. Swain, of Bellevue. They have two children--Blanche A., born October 28, 1875, and George C., born February 22, 1877. Mr. Campbell's parents, John G. and Ruba Peabody Campbell, both live in Champaign, Ill.
DAVID L. CARPENTER, general merchandise, coal and lumber. Mr. Carpenter was born in Somerstown, Westchester County, N. Y., June 1, 1824. When quite young, moved with his widowed mother to Harrison, N. Y., where he lived up to the age of sixteen, when he removed to the city of New York, and there remained fourteen years. In 1854, he removed to Ithaca, Richland Co., Wis., where he was engaged in farming several years. In 1863, he enlisted in the Sixth Wisconsin Light Artillery. He campaigned in Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee chiefly, in active service, up to the close of the war, and was discharged with his battery in July, 1865. In July, 1864, Mr. Carpenter was placed on detached service on Gen. John E. Smith's staff, doing duty a clerk in the mustering office. Went through on the march to the sea, after which he joined his command at Chattanooga, Tenn., in March, 1865. In December, 1869, he removed to Omaha, where he lived one year, when he removed to Papillion and engaged in buying grain for the Western Grain Company. Was appointed Postmaster of Papillion in the spring of 1873, holding the office six years. In 1873, he erected a store and opened up a stock of general merchandise, and has since continued the trade in connection with the lumber, coal, and grain trade, doing a prosperous trade. Mr. Carpenter was married in Patterson, Putnam Co., N. Y., February 12, 1849, to Miss Emeline Lawrence, of Patterson. They have six children--Isaac L., born in New York May 27, 1852; James E, born in New York December 1, 1853; Henry L., born in Wisconsin August 15, 1858; Jennie C., born in Wisconsin February 25, 1861; David Lang, born in Wisconsin June 14, 1867.
HARRY L. CARPENTER, publisher. He was born in Lone Rock, Wis, August 15, 1858, where he lived till the age of twelve years. In 1870, with his father's family, moved to Papillion, where he finished his schooling. In 1872, he entered the Sarpy County Sentinel office on the first number of that journal, and continued there a little more than one year. He then entered the store of his father, remaining one year. In 1874, he went to Columbus, Neb., and there found employment on the Columbus Era, where he worked eight months. Returned to Papillion in the spring of 1875, and found employment on the Papillion Times, where he continued to work till December, 1880, when he purchased the Times of A. R. Kennedy, and has since continued the publication of that journal. The Times is a live local paper, independent in politics, with an increasing circulation. Mr. Carpenter was married in Binghamton, N. Y., December 13, 1879, to Miss Emma A. Balch of Binghamton. Had one child--Virgie, born May 30, 1881, died January 6, 1882.
FRANK M. CARSON, book-keeper and Notary Public, was born in Waterford, Erie Co., Penn., October 26, 1853. Was educated at the Waterford Academy, Waterford, Penn., graduating in the class of 1876, when he took a year's instruction in the commercial department of the National Seminary at Lebanon, Ohio. In September, 1878, he came West to Papillion to take the position of book-keeper in the banking, commercial and grain dealing establishment of A. W. Clarke, upon which duties he immediately entered, and where he has ever since remained, having entire supervision of the extensive business under the proprietor. His parents, Absalom M. and Harriet Lenox, were both natives of Erie County, Penn., where they still reside. Frank has one brother, Fred, and three sisters--Ella F., Etta Gertrude and Lena, who all still live under the parental roof, Frank being the oldest of the family.
I. CECIL CORNWELL was born in Lester, Livingston Co., N. Y., July 4, 1858. When six months of age, his father died, and his mother moved to Perry, Wyoming Co., N. Y., where they lived eleven years, Cecil attending public school. Lived in Auburn one year, the family afterward moving back to Lester. At the age of fifteen, Cecil entered the academic department of the Genesee State Normal School, where he remained two years. He then left home to hew out his own fortune, and went to Buffalo, N. Y., and entered the fancy goods store of J. J. Moissinac, where he remained until 1879, when he came to Papillion and engaged in the drug trade with A. H. Morris. His parents were both born and reared in the State of New York.
A. W. CRITCHFIELD, Papillion, blacksmith and carriage-making. He was born in Fremont, Ind., October 10, 1851, where he lived until the age of seventeen, attending the schools of that place. Came with his parents to Burt County, Neb., living there five years, where he learned his trade. He lived in Florence one and one-half years, and came to Papillion in the spring of 1875 and established himself in business, and is now doing a liberal business. Was married in Omaha, September 2, 1878, to Isabel A Reeves, of Florence, who was born in Iowa, January 20, 1853. The have one child--Lulu B., born in Papillion, December 7, 1879. His father, Jacob Critchfield, is living in Burt County. Served in the late rebellion, enlisting in the Twelfth Indiana Cavalry. Was detailed as Regimental Blacksmith, and received injuries which permanently crippled him. His mother, Harriet Critchfield, is living.
MICHAEL DUNN, farmer, P. O. Papillion, was born in Ireland in 1829. He emigrated to America, landing in New York August 10, 1852. In November following, he left New York for Illinois, arriving in Chicago on the 15th, and engaged work on the Illinois Central Railroad, where he labored nearly a year. After that, on the Burlington & Quincy Railroad, to Jefferson, Mo. In the summer of 1865, cholera was prevalent and very fatal in many places along the river bank and the railroad, and great numbers were buried along the river banks and the roads, many without coffins, in the most hasty manner. An entire railroad town, the present site of St. Aubert's, was burned down, with a large store of provisions, clothing, etc., to prevent a spread of the contagion. Michael turned his steps toward Kansas, as a refuge from contagion and possible death, to find that Territory in a state of riot. He tarried there but a short time, but took a steamer up the Missouri River and, between wind and sand-bars, was twenty days in making the trip from Jefferson, Mo., to Council Bluffs. He arrived in Omaha early in May, 1856, and immediately engaged with John Painter's surveying party as cook, and helped to survey nearly all of Sarpy County. The same season he pre-empted 160 acres on Section 23, Town 13, Range 12, in Fairview Precinct. The same year, he moved to Omaha, where he lived until 1866, when he moved on his farm and commenced improvements, and has since resided there. Mr. Dunn was married in Omaha, April 26, 1860, to Miss Mary McBride, of Omaha, who was born in Ireland in 1838. They have eight children--Thomas F., born February 9, 1861; Samuel J., May 14, 1862, Patrick, September 4, 1863, John C., December 21, 1864; Mary, June 10, 1866; Ignatius, February 1, 1868; Celetus, April 26, 1875; and Itia, March 10, 1877.
JAMES GOW, County Judge, was born in Argyle, Washington Co., N. Y., August 16, 1812. Moved to Michigan in 1839, where he resided till 1854, when he moved to Nebraska, with a train of four-horse teams, consuming about one month in making the transit. He settled in Bellevue on a farm, and is still owner of a fine farm in Sarpy County, consisting of 160 acres of land. In the fall of 1869, he was elected County Judge, which office he has held since, with the exception of one term of two years. Mr. Gow moved to Papillion in 1876, when the county seat of Sarpy was moved from Bellevue to Papillion. Judge Gow was married in Cambridge, Washington Co., N. Y., December 1, 1841, to Miss Lucy M. Cleveland, who was born in Salem, Washington Co., N. Y., August 24, 1820, and who died in Bellevue, April 28, 1860. Judge Gow has six children-- Elizabeth A., born November 24, 1842; William S., July 29, 1847, Frank F., July 29, 1849, in Oakland, Mich,; James H. and Lucy M., April 16, 1856, and Edward A., March 9, 1860, in Sarpy County, Neb. His son, Dr. Frank F., lives in Saratoga County, N. Y. All the other children reside in Sarpy County. Judge Gow was one of the very early settlers of Nebraska, becoming a settler before its Territorial organization, and endured many of the privations and hardships common to the frontier settlers, and is to-day a well-preserved and excellent representative specimen of early Western citizens.
CYRUS LATHAM, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 15, Town 13, Range 12, P. O. Papillion, was born in New London, Conn., February 12, 1836. When about two years of age, with his father's family, he moved to La Salle County, Ill., where he lived till 1859, when he came to Nebraska, landing in Omaha in February of that year. He located soon after in Fairview Precinct, and commenced farming, purchasing his present farm in 1866. He was a short time engaged in freighting. On his first trip out, he met the vanguard of the so-called returning goldseekers' "stampede," on their return from Colorado, though, in reality, most of them had not visited the auriferous fields. They were met near O'Fallon's Bluffs, and numbered about six hundred teams. They told the wildest stories about starvation, murder and the absence of gold. Besides farming, Mr. L. is somewhat extensively engaged in bee culture. At the end of the year 1881, he had sixty-eight swarms, that had produced upward of sixteen hundred pounds of honey, which, in favorable seasons, would produce nearly twice that much. It is both a source of pleasure and profit with him. He is also engaged in fruit culture, having himself planted and has now 550 thrifty bearing apple trees and 200 plum, cherry and peach trees. It is one of the finest orchards in the country. Mr. L. is a member of the Nebraska State Bee Keepers' Association. He was married in Fairview, February 13, 1862, to Miss Mary Jane Mitchell, of that place. They have four children-- Mary Augusta, born July 4, 1863; Benjamin Franklin, January 26, 1868; Charles Paul, May 7, 1874; and Agnes May, December 16, 1880.
GEORGE F. LAUBACH, M. D., deceased, was born in Allentown, Penn., June 9, 1852. After receiving an academical education, he began the study of medicine with his brother, Dr. A. J. Laubach, in Philadelphia; entered the University of Pennsylvania and graduated in the medical department in 1875. He practiced medicine a short time that year, and in the fall, received a Government appointment as surgeon in the Lower Brule Agency, Dakota, where he remained about two years, when he located in Watertown, Minn., and practiced two years. He located in Papillion in February, 1879, and soon after established a drug store. He died December 26, 1881. He was married, February 26, 1870, to Miss Martha A. Sexson; he left one child--Herbert George, born March 30, 1880. He was a member of the German Reformed Church, a young man of much culture and promise.
LOUIS LESIEUR, hotel keeper, Papillion. Mr. Lesieur was born near Paris, France, October 1, 1845. Came to America, with his grandmother, in 1855, living in Canton, Ohio, one year, when he removed to Chicago, where he resided six years. In 1863, at the age of seventeen years, he enlisted in the Sixteenth Illinois Cavalry, Company M, and did service in guarding forage trains in the vicinity of Cumberland Gap. January 3, 1864, four companies of the Sixteenth, including Mr. Lesieur's, were taken prisoners by Gen. Jones' brigade, where they had a severe engagement, which lasted all day. Mr. Lesieur was taken to Belle Isle, where he was kept six weeks. He was then removed to Andersonville, where he suffered all the horrors of that abode of cruelty for six months, when he was removed to Savannah, where he was kept in a prison pen for a month, when he was removed to Camp Lawton, where he was kept a month. He was then sent to Blackshear, Ga., where he took a short term, when he was transferred to Thomasville, Ga., where he remained about three weeks, then back to Andersonville, and enjoyed the hospitality of that institution again for three months, when he was paroled and sent to Thomasville. There, through some blunder in the exchange, he was, with others, transferred back to Andersonville the third time, making a march of fifty-two miles. They were kept there till late in April, when they were paroled, and the 30th day of April were set at liberty. He was also a few days imprisoned in Scotch and Pemberton's prisons. In all, he spent sixteen months in Southern prisons. He was discharged from the service in Springfield, Ill., in 1865. In 1866, he went to Kansas City, but remained but a short time. Came to Sarpy County and engaged as a farm laborer, and labored in that capacity for four years, and then farmed on his own account till 1876, when he came to Papillion, purchased a hotel, rebuilding it, and has since successfully conducted it, naming it the Papillion House. He was married February 20, 1875, to Miss Susan Dowd, of Iowa Co., Wis. He was elected County Clerk of Sarpy County in 1881.
WILLIAM CLARK McLEAN, Postmaster at Papillion. Mr. McLean was born in Greenwich, N. Y., April 8, 1842. Attended the public schools of Greenwich till he was sixteen years of age, when he entered the Cambridge Washington Academy, which he attended two years. In the summer of 1862, he enlisted in the One Hundred and Twenty-third New York Volunteer Infantry. Served under Gen. Joe Hooker in Virginia, taking part in the battles of Chancellorsville, Gettsyburg, etc. In 1863, he went, with the command, to the Western Department, and campaigned in Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee. Took part in the engagements at Resaca, Lookout Mountain, before Atlanta and others during the season. Mr. McLean and his regiment were with the first infantry to enter Atlanta after its fall. The command afterward went into camp in the city of Atlanta, and from there took up their march up through Georgia to the sea. After the capture of Savannah, they took up their march for Washington, through the Carolinas. There was, as is well known, a strife between the Seventeenth and Twentieth Corps as to which should first enter Washington, and it was one of the most rapid, prolonged marches on record. In 1864, Mr. McLean was promoted from Corporal to Sergeant Major. Was discharged at Albany in 1865, June 6. In the spring of 1867, he came to Nebraska, settling in Bellevue. In 1869, he was elected County Clerk of Sarpy County, and in 1871 was re-elected, serving four years. Was appointed Postmaster of Papillion in July, 1880. He is also representative for the Phoenix, Etna and Home Fire Insurance Companies. Mr. McLean was married in Bellevue November 27, 1869, to Miss Mary Osler. They have two children--Louisa A., born April 9, 1871; Mary E., born December 16, 1872. Mrs. McLean was born in England.
ELDRIDGE MESSENGER, teacher, is a native of Canton Center, Hartford Co., Conn. Was educated in the public schools of that place till the age of sixteen, when he entered the Canton Center Academy, where he attended about three years, finishing his education in the Connecticut State Normal School He entered the army in the summer of 1862, enlisting in the Twenty-fifth Regiment Connecticut Volunteers for nine months. The regiment campaigned chiefly in Louisiana, taking part in the battles of Irish Bend, Donaldsonville and the siege of Port Hudson, which lasted over seven weeks, the fort surrendering on the 8th of July, 1863. He was discharged from service at New Orleans in August, 1863. He then entered the employ of the Government, being placed in charge of a confiscated plantation in Parish St. Charles, La., where he remained till the spring of 1865, when he returned home. He attended the State Normal School for a time, and then commenced teaching, and, up to 1874, taught school and looked after the interests of his farm. He then came to Nebraska, with the view of improving his health, which was much impaired, and engaged in teaching at Florence, Douglas Co., Neb., where he taught for three years, and afterward at Millard, in the same county. On the 30th of August, 1879, he embarked in journalism, establishing the Waterloo Sentinel, at Waterloo, Neb., which he edited and published for nearly two years, teaching also during this period. His health, giving way from overwork, he gave up the paper. In the spring of 1881, he engaged as Principal in the graded school at Papillion, Sarpy Co., Neb., where he is still successfully following his vocation of teaching.
JONAS MITCHELL, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 22, Town 12, Range 13, was born near Manchester, England, April 1, 1814. At the age of fifteen, he was entered as an apprentice to learn the trade of blacksmith, which he followed till the age of twenty-seven. He was married, in Lancashire, England, March 7, 1836, to Mary Gravas, who was born in Lancashire, November 4, 1814. In 1840, Mr. Mitchell, with his family, emigrated to America, settling in Posey County, Ind., where he lived for six years. The next six years were spent in Kentucky, Missouri and Iowa. In 1852, he came to Nebraska, engaging as Government blacksmith, to work for the Pawnee Indians, then located at the mission at Bellevue, together with the Omahas and Otoes. His work was principally manufacturing and repairing the guns hoes and simple agricultural implements that were furnished by the Government. He worked at the agency till the organization of the Territory, when the agency was removed, in 1855, under the administration of President Pierce.. He then plied his trade a few months in Glenwood, Iowa, though connected by other interests in Nebraska. He then returned and worked a short time for the Government. As soon as the lands were surveyed, he pre-empted 160 acres of land, and , by subsequent purchase, owned 300 acres. Mr. Mitchell and his wife lived during the very exciting times of the very early pioneers, and endured many of the privations and hardships incident to that life. The Indians were very annoying in many ways, principally by begging and thieving, seldom offering personal injury. At one time, the Pawnees raided his stock-yard, driving off five oxen and a cow, leaving him one ox and one cow. They were about starting on their annual, and none of the stock was recovered. It was during Lincoln's administration that Mr. Mitchell recovered pay for his stock. After a life of toil and exposure, Mr. Mitchell and his wife, at nearly the age of threescore and ten , are still well preserved, mentally and physically, with an abundance of worldly goods, and has delegated his labors and his cares largely to his sons, James and Owen. Mr. Mitchell has eight children--William, born in England December 19, 1836; Catharine, born in England January 17, 1840; James, December, 1842; Jane, November 11, 1844; Martha Ellen, December 28, 1848; Emma Ann, January 7, 1851; Thomas I., March 16, 1853, Owen, February 29, 1856; and Fanny T., October 19, 1858-- the last six born in America, William being dead.
MORRIS & CORNWELL, druggists, Papillion. A. Horland Morris, born in Elma, Erie Co., N. Y., September 21, 1856, where he lived until the age of sixteen years. Mr. Morris attended the public schools of Elma until the age of fourteen, when he entered the Albion Academy, in Aurora, N. Y. There he took two years' tuition, and then engaged in the drug store of A. C. Anthony, Buffalo, N. Y., and continued in his employ five years.. In 1879, he removed to Papillion. In October, 1880, with Mr. Cornwell, purchased the drug stock of C. F. Goodman, enlarged the stock, and opened a full and select stock of drugs and fancy goods, and are now doing a thriving business. His parents, William and Caroline (Boyes) Morris, were both natives of Erie County, N. Y. His father died in Elma in 1868, aged forty-five years. His mother survives, and lives with her son.
J. D. PATTERSON, Superintendent of Public Instruction and County Surveyor, was born in Pennsylvania March 27, 1836. His parents died when he was quite young, and, at the age of seventeen, he commenced teaching school in Jefferson County, Ohio. Most of his time since has been spent in the schoolroom, although his health has often compelled him to seek some other occupation for a time. The winter of 1857, he spent among the Indians on the plains, and, in 1864-65, rambled among the mountains of Colorado, Montana and British Columbia. In 1867, he moved with his family to Brazil, in South America, with the intention of engaging in farming, but was employed by the Government as Civil Engineer to open a road from the sea coast to the table-lands of the interior, through an almost impenetrable forest, which the simple natives believed was guarded by spirits, who sent thunder and lightning to drive intruders back. He completed the work in sixty days, and was received with much demonstration by the people., who never expected to see his party emerge from the forest. After a varied experience there for about two years, during which he visited different parts of the Empire, he returned to the United States. In 1870, he opened a high school in Rock Bluffs, Cass Co., Neb., called Naomi Institute, but was burned out two years later. He became Principal of a public school in Plattsmouth in 1873, and the next year removed to Papillion, Sarpy County, where he served as Principal of the school for several years, and then abandoned the schoolroom for good on account of poor health. In 1877, he was elected County Surveyor, which office he has held ever since. In 1879, he was elected Superintendent of Schools for Sarpy County, and re-elected by a large majority in 1881. Mr. Patterson was educated in the public schools of Pennsylvania, and the Normal School at Hopedale, Ohio. He was married, in 1860, to Miss Clara Thompson, who died in 1867, and in 1868, he was married again to Maria de Miranda, a native of Brazil. He has seven children still living--Albert, Charles, Anna, Horace, William, Louisa and Nellie, and two-- Clara and Francisca--buried in Brazil.
HORACE ROGERS & SON, farmers, and stock-raisers, Papillion, Neb. Horace Rogers was born in Georgia, Franklin Co., Vt., March, 1812. On the 22d of October, 1835, he left his native State , and moved to the Territory of Michigan, locating in Freedom, Washtenaw County, where he lived about four years, when he moved to Calhoun County, living there five years, when he returned to Freedom, and engaged in the mercantile business, which he followed for three years, previously engaging in farming. In the spring of 1856, he, with his family, came to Nebraska, landing in Bellevue May 10. There he lived for about seventeen years, chiefly following his trade, that of stone mason, and farming to some extent. In 1861, he entered into a mail contract with the Government to carry the mail from Bellevue to Plattsford, now Xenia, a weekly service for four years, when the terminus was changed from Xenia to Forest City. At the end of eight years, the service was changed from weekly to semi-weekly service of thirty miles. He continued in the service twelve years, the last one year and a half being changed from Bellevue to Papillion. Mr. Rogers served three terms, of four years each, as Justice of the Peace in Michigan, and two terms in Nebraska. In the fall of 1865 he was elected County Judge of Sarpy County, and re-elected in 1867, holding the office for four years. For the last nine years, he, with his son, Delimer, have been engaged in farming and stock-raising in Fairview Precinct, Section 9, Town 12, Range 13, In 1879, Mr. R. retired from his farm and active life to Papillion; built a residence, and his son has had the active management of the farm. He was married, in Freedom, Mich., October 22, 1837, to Miss Eunice E. Cowell, of that place, who was born in Cambria, N. Y., February 9, 1818. They have four children--Wallace C., born in Freedom, Mich., September 14, 1838; Americus V., in Clarence, Mich., September 12, 1840; Clayton H., in Clarence, February 4, 1844; Deimer N., in Freedom, December 30, 1851. Delimer N. Rogers was educated in Bellevue and at Tabor College, attending at the latter place for one year. From that time, he taught school for several years, until 1875, when he and his father engaged in farming on their present farm, and is also engaged in bee culture. Mr. R. was married, in Ridgeley, Neb., June 14, 1876, to Miss Elda M. Holbrook, of Ridgely, who was born in Isle La Mott, Vt., March 6, 1856. They have two children--Gertrude Iola, born November 23, 1877, and Horace Augustus, October 10, 1880.
RAMSEY SALING, livery, was born in Paris, Mo., November 12, 1836. Most of his early life, up to 1855, was spent in Davis County, Iowa, living with his parents on a farm, and attending the public schools in that State. He came, in 1855, with his parents to what is now Sarpy County, Neb., taking up 320 acres of land, his father, Jefferson Saling, dying the same year; when the land was surveyed and placed in market, his mother entered the land. In 1860, Ramsey purchased of his mothers eighty acres of land, and commenced farming, which he followed until 1873, and here he was elected Sheriff of Sarpy County, being elected three successive terms, or until 1879, moving to Papillion in 1876, when the county seat was removed from Bellevue. His farm embraced a portion of the old Omaha Indian farm Mr. Saling was married, in Bellevue, December 18,1858, to Esther M. Sutley, of Bellevue. They have six children--Ellis H., Emma K., Florence A., Ida E., Delleux and Glenn. His father was a native of Tennessee, born November, 1808; his mother, Catherine (Hurst), was a native of Tennessee, and born November 1812. P. O. Papillion.
WILLIAM SANDER (deceased). Mr. William Sander was born in Stuttgardt, Germany, December 13, 1831, receiving his education in his native town. Came to America in 1852, locating in Philadelphia; engaged in the tobacco trade, manufacturing cigars. In 1869, came to Omaha, and engaged with A. H. Sander in the grocery trade, remaining there until 1876, opening a branch store in Papillion in 1870, which was managed by his partner, and was the first store opened in Papillion. In 1875, they erected the present large store, and stocked it up. In 1878, the brothers dissolved partnership, the senior partner continuing the business until his death, April 15, 1880. His wife continues the business, under the management of her son, William Sander. William Sander, Sr., was married in Philadelphia in 1857, to Miss Mary Fecht, of that city. She was born in Germany December 31, 1835. Mr. Sander left two sons--William and Herman.
WILLIAM B. SEXSON, farmer and dealer in agricultural implements, Section 3, Town 13, Range 12, Fairview, was born in Overton County, Tenn., May 23, 1819. When nine years of age, his father moved to Morgan County, Ill., then a wild country. He lived in Morgan and Sangamon Counties until 1834, when the family moved to Iowa, near Burlington. Here he engaged in farming until 1865. In March, 1866, Mr. Sexson moved to Sarpy County, Neb., and moved on his present place March 1, 1868. He has dealt in agricultural machinery since 1877, having a depot in Papillion, and established a liberal trade. He was married, near Burlington, Iowa, December 19, 1839, to Miss Lucretia Turley, of that place. She was born in Cumberland County, Ky., June 24, 1819. They have ten children--J. Howard, born September 19, 1840; Enoch A., November 2, 1841; Susan F., June 11, 1843; John T., November 8, 1844; Mary E., September 24, 1846; Andrew J., August 11, 1850; Charles B., December 15, 1856; Martha A., February 6, 1859, and Cornelius S., March 29, 1862.
ALLEN SMITH, farmer and stock-grower, Papillion, Section 2, Town 13, Range 12, was born in Gainesboro, Tenn, September 22, 1847. He left the parental roof at about the age of fourteen years. His father was a strong Union man, and during the rebellion, when he refused to swear allegiance to the Confederacy, was threatened with hanging. A noose was placed around his neck and he would have been hung but for the intervention of rebels who were his friends. Allen, at the age of fifteen, was conscripted, but managed to elude the officers. For many months, he hid himself in the mountain through the days, dodging the conscript officers and guerrillas that infested the country. He finally fell in with some Union troops, which he joined in 1863. He joined the Kentucky State Militia, and was chiefly engaged in Tennessee and Kentucky against the guerrilla warfare that constantly waged in those regions, frequently coming in contact with Morgan's raiders and other predatory bands. At the close of the war, his regiment disbanded, and Mr. Smith went home. He never drew any pay and never was discharged, being then about eighteen years of age, when he went to Appanoose County, Iowa, where he lived a year. He afterward moved to Confidence, Wayne Co., Iowa, and engaged in mercantile business, which he followed for four years. His health failing in 1871, he retired from mercantile business and went out on the frontier, in Nebraska; engaged in hunting and trading with the Indians, chiefly with the view of recovering his health. He was one of the pioneers in what is known at the South Republican River. He took up a claim, and, in company with Capt. Garber (afterward Governor of Nebraska) and a few others, lived in the stockade for mutual protection. The Red Cloud Agency was away to the northwest of the stockade; had got on their war-paint and were somewhat annoying. In 1873, Maj. S. returned to Confidence and again engaged in mercantile business, which he followed a year, when he moved to Sarpy County, Neb., Mr. Smith married, in Confidence, Iowa, March 6, 1873, to Miss Mary E. Ewing, of that place, who was born in Fulton County, Ill., January 17, 1854. They have two children--Nora E., born September 1, 1874, and Alexander C., born November 26, 1876. Mr. and Mrs. Smith are both members of the Christian Church.
JOHN I. SMITH, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Elizabethtown, Penn., July 30, 1818. At the age of seventeen, with his father's family, moved to Trumbull County, Ohio, where Mr. Smith, in Mesopotamia, in Trumbull County, December 31, 1844, was married to Marietta Sheldon, who was born September 15, 1822. Mr. Smith followed the occupation of farming in Ohio up to 1865, when he moved to Omaha, where he lived in all about three years. From Omaha they moved to Sarpy County, and engaged in farming on land (160 acres) which he had purchased previous to coming to the State, owning 160 acres of land in another portion of the county. He was elected Justice of the Peace in Papillion Precinct in 1871, serving two years. Both Mr. Smith and wife are members of the Congregational Church in Sarpy Center, and have been communicants of that church and society since 1844. They have eight children, the chain unbroken by death--Caroline E., born October 22, 1845; Mary G., December 20, 1847; Lois A., February 3, 1850; Sheldon F., April 11, 1852; Charles E., August 25, 1854; John C. Fremont, January 6, 1857; Charlotte E., July 30, 1860; Julia A., April 28, 1863; all born in Trumbull County, Ohio.
ANDREW J. SPEARMAN, Sheriff. Mr. Spearman was born in Jacksonville, Morgan Co., Ill., January 25, 1829. When seven years of age he moved with his parents to Eastern Iowa, near Burlington. In 1852, Mr. Spearman went to California, where he remained till 1864, when he went to Idaho, spending two years there, opening a ranch, and a portion of the time engaged in freighting; he then visited Montana and other places in the West, and then returned to Iowa. and soon afterward removed to Sarpy County, Neb., and engaged in farming. In 1879, Mr. Spearman was elected Sheriff of Sarpy County, and was re-elected in 1881. Mr. Spearman was married in Mount Pleasant, Iowa, July, 1856, to Miss Martha E. Lake, of that town. She was born in Mount Vernon, Knox Co., Ohio, in March, 1838. They have seven children--Flora E., born in Mount Pleasant, Iowa, in 1861; Mattie, born in the same town, 18--; Andrew J., born in Fort Boise, Idaho, August, 1865; James P., born in Mount Pleasant in 1868; Charles C., born in Sarpy County April, 1873; Ada, born in Sarpy County December, 1875; and Burt S., born in 1872. Mr. Spearman's parents, Ames D. and Cynthia A. Spearman, were natives of Cumberland County, Ky.
MYRON E. STORMER, farmer and stock-grower, Sec. 16, Town 12, Range 13; P. O. Papillion; born in Des Moines Co., Iowa, June 22, 1851; educated in public schools of his native county until the age of about eighteen years, when he took two years' instruction in the Baptist College of Burlington, Iowa. He taught school in the winter of 1871 and 1872, and in the fall of that year entered the Iowa Wesleyan University, where he remained one year, when he was forced to relinquish his studies on account of failing health. His health, somewhat improving, he commenced farming, which he has since followed, teaching some in the winter season. He moved to Nebraska, arriving in Papillion on the 26th of February, 1880, and on the 1st day of March moved on his present farm of 160 acres. Mr. Stormer was married in Burlington, Iowa, March 5, 1874, to Miss Jenny M. Walton, of Burlington. She was born in Greene County, Penn., October 24, 1854. They have three children-- Bell, born December 12, 1874; Clara, January 20, 1877; and Birdie, November 3, 1879.
JAMES W. THOMPSON, ex-County Clerk, was born in Florence, St. Joseph Co., Mich., March 13, 1838. Lived in Michigan till the age of twenty-four, when he enlisted in the Nineteenth Michigan Volunteer Infantry. In August, 1862, campaigned in the West under Gen. Sherman, in Georgia, Mississippi, Tennessee and the Carolinas, in active service all the time, taking part in the fights at Atlanta, Peach Tree Creek, Lovejoy Station, and many other engagements, going through to Atlanta with Sherman on his march to the sea. In May, 1863, was promoted to Corporal, and afterward, at Atlanta, Sergeant Major, and at Alexandria received a commission of First Lieutenant. Company D was discharged in Washington in June, 1865. Mr. Thompson was educated in the district school of his native town till about the age of twenty, when he entered the Albion Academy, and took two terms. He afterward entered Hillsdale College, and where he remained a little more than a year, when he left college and entered the service. In June, 1870, Mr. Thompson came West to Omaha, where he resided three years, when he moved to Sarpy County, where he engaged in buying grain for the "Western Grain Company," where he has since resided. In 1879, Mr. Thompson was elected Clerk of Sarpy County, and served his term of two years. He was candidate for re-election on the Republican ticket, and was beaten in a Democratic county by two votes. Mr. Thompson was married in Florence, Mich., October 16, 1868, to Miss Julia M. Ingerson, daughter of Dr. Cyrus Ingerson, of that place. She was born in Centerville, St. Joseph Co., Mich., October 16, 1842. They have three children--Lulu E., born in Florence August 16, 1869; Wirt J., born in Omaha December 26, 1872; Dean H., born in Papillion April 24, 1878. Mr. Thompson is a son of Giles and Rebecca Whited Thompson, both of whom died in Florence, Mich.
WILLIAM C. UPJOHN, M. D. Dr. Upjohn was born in Plainwell, Mich., March 24, 1854. In 1855, came with his mother to what is now Sarpy County, Neb. His father, Dr. E. N. Upjohn, preceding the family one year. Dr. Upjohn attended the public schools of Bellevue till the age of fourteen years, when he entered the Baptist College at Kalamazoo, Mich., remaining there a little over two years, when he came back to Nebraska, and entered the office where he remained one year, when he returned to Kalamazoo, and entered the office of his uncle, Dr. Uriah Upjohn, reading medicine till 1873, when he entered the University of Michigan, graduating in March, 1875. He was married in Toledo, Ohio, May 15, 1877, to Miss Mary L. Hoagland, who graduated in the Medical University of Michigan. In March, 1877, Dr. E. N. Upjohn was one of the very early settlers in what is now Sarpy County, only seven or eight settlers preceding him, in Douglas or Sarpy Counties. He died in Bellevue March 10, 1880.