Part 2: Political History
Part 3: County Roster | Seward County Schools
Death of a Pioneer
Seward: Incorporation | Societies | Religious
Part 4: Seward (cont.): Schools | Driving Park Association
Part 5: Seward: Biographical Sketches (cont.)
Part 6: Milford: Location and Natural Features
Early History | Churches
Societies | Biographical Sketches
Part 7: Utica: Biographical Sketches
Biographical Sketches:B Precinct | C Precinct
Part 8: Biographical Sketches: F Precinct | G Precinct
I Precinct | J Precinct
Part 9: Biographical Sketches: K Precinct | L Precinct
M Precinct | N Precinct | O Precinct | P Precinct
List of Illustrations in Seward County Chapter
LEMUEL L. ALLISON, farmer, Section 32, Town 10, Range 2 east, P. O. Beaver Crossing, was born in Pike County, Ohio, April 4, 1832. Lived in his native State until 1853, when he left there, and came West as far as Logan County, Ill., where he farmed until 1859, then going to the adjoining State of Indiana, where he lived till 1865, returning to Logan County, Ill.; made his home there until the fall of 1869, at which time he moved his family out to Nebraska, and took up the homestead where he now lives, and was among the first settlers in the precinct. Was married, in Illinois, in August, 1856, to Miss Margarette J. Pullin. Mr. Allison and wife are original members of the United Brethren Church Society at Beaver Crossing. They have a family of seven children--Benjamin A., Charley, Luvica B., William H., Alabama and Louisiana, who were twins, and the first white children born in K Precinct, and Mary J
THOMAS J. FOSTER, farmer, Section 22, Town 10, Range 1 east, P. O. Beaver Crossing, was born near Lancaster, Mo., June 23, 1843. When only a small child, his parents removed to Warren County, Ill., from there to Madison County, Iowa, in 1860, and, in 1863, returned to Illinois, where the subject of this sketch enlisted in the war of the rebellion, in the One Hundred and Thirty-eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company C, serving about six months. He then went to Iowa, and was married, in 1865, to Miss Rebecca E. Cummings, of that State. Here they resided until April, 1869, at that time coming to Nebraska, where he took up the homestead described at the head of this sketch, on which he has since lived, being among the very earliest settlers on the table-lands. He has a family of four children, viz., Sarah E., Charles O., Idella and Mary F.
ROLAND REED, farmer, Section 33, Town 10, Range 1 east, P. O. Beaver Crossing, was born in Chenango County, N. Y., on the 6th of February, 1818. Lived in his native State until 1838, and at that time went to Tioga, Penn., where he first followed the lumber business, and afterward pursued various occupations until his removal to Nebraska. He was married there May 29, 1843, to Miss Jane Wetherbee, who was born in December, 1818. They came to Nebraska in the spring of 1866, taking up a homestead on Section 34, near where they now live, and were among the very earliest settlers in the precinct, and in those early times, were obliged to go as far as Nebraska City for family supplies. He owns 240 acres of land, of which 150 acres are under cultivation, and has held the position of Postmaster of Beaver Crossing, being the second one in the county. Mrs. Reed was one of the original members of the Primitive Methodist Church at Beaver Crossing. They have a family of six children--S. Alice, Charles F., Amanda W., Eva J. and Horatio L., who are twins, and William A.
FREDERICK M. DIMERY, proprietor of the Pearl Flouring Mills, and member of the firm of Tidyman & Dimery, merchants at Beaver Crossing. He came to Nebraska in the fall of 1871, first farming on Section 4, Town 9, Range 1 east, M Precinct, Seward County, for one year, and then removed to Beaver Crossing, where he established a general merchandise store, which was the second store in the place, and at the same time opened a hotel, which he still is proprietor of. In May, 1881, Mr. Dimery purchased the Pearl Flouring Mills at Beaver Crossing, from W. J. Thomson, the building being 30 x 40, with an addition. It is three stories high, the material frame. The mill has four run of buhrs, operated by water-power, having a fall of 11 feet, being supplied by the West Blue River, and has a capacity for manufacturing fifty barrels of flour daily. The subject of this sketch was born in Herefordshire, Eng., on the 18th day of May, 1835, emigrating to the United States in 1864, and has since made two visits to his native country. He first settled in Dodge County, Wis., where he was married, in 1865, to Miss Ordelia Martin, residing there until his removal to Nebraska, as mentioned above. They are the parents of six children, all of whom are now living--Mary C., Jane E., Joseph F., Thomas H., Martin W. and Ordelia.
JOHN LEONARD, farmer, Section 14, Town 9, Range 1 east, P. O. Beaver Crossing, was born in Washington County, N. Y., April 19, 1838, and is the son of James and Mercy J. Leonard, his father being of Irish lineage, and his mother, whose maiden name was Seccomb, of English descent. His parents removing to Erie County, the subject of this sketch made that his home until 1860, which was the date of his coming to Nebraska. He first went to Nebraska City, and in the same year crossed the plains to Colorado, where he engaged at mining during the summer. This he repeated for three summers, and in 1862 located at Beaver Crossing, Neb., where he started a ranch, which he operated till 1864. His occupation from that time until 1868 was carrying freight across the plains to the mountains, and then he settled down on the farm where he now lives, now owning 680 acres, 400 of which are under cultivation. Mr. Leonard held the office of Assessor of M Precinct for one year, and was married to his first wife, Miss Alice Littler, in the fall of 1872, who died December 9, 1873. He was married to his present wife, Maria King, on the 11th of May, 1881.
ROSS NICHOLS, farmer, residence Beaver Crossing, was born in Tompkins County, N. Y., on the third of February, 1824, being the son of Uriah and Dolly Nichols, who were descendants of the old New England stock. The latter's maiden name was Gleason. He lived in his native State until 1867, when he came West, and lived first in Dodge County, Wis., until 1869, and then came to Nebraska, locating on the farm where he now lives, and on which the present village of Beaver Crossing is situated, Mr. Nichols being the original proprietor of the town. He was married in New York, in 1859, to Miss Mary E. Seymour, who was born in Clinton County of that State.
HIRAM A. BRISBIN, farmer and stock-raiser, on Section 2, Town 9, Range 2 east, P. O. Milford, came to Nebraska in October, 1869, locating in Seward County, and in the following June took up a homestead, which is the farm where he now lives. Was among the first settlers in N Precinct, and now has a farm of 160 acres, 140 acres of which are improved, and his old sod house has been replaced with a good, comfortable home. The subject of this sketch was born in Clinton, County, N. Y., on the 9th of February, 1847, and is the son of Ezekiel and Margaret Brisbin nee Luther, the former being of English descent, and the latter's parents were natives of Vermont. In 1855, he came West to Indiana, then to Illinois, his parents dying when he was quite young, and in 1863 went to Wisconsin, where he enlisted in the late war, in the First Wisconsin Volunteer Cavalry, Company K, and served till the close of the same. Then went to Iowa, where he remained till his removal to Nebraska, as mentioned above. Was married in Allamakee County, Iowa, in April, 1868, to Miss Susan J. Martin, and is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Blue River Lodge, No. 30, being a charter member of the same. Mr. Brisbin has always been connected with the public enterprises of his town and county, doing all he could for the advancement of the same.
JOSEPH W. BIVENS, farmer, Section 2, Town 9, Range 2 east, P. O. Milford, was born in Fulton County, Penn., on the 21st of October, 1829, being the son of John and Mary Bivens. His father died in Pennsylvania in 1865, and in the same year the subject of this sketch left his native State and came West, first locating in Warren County, Ill., where he lived till August, 1866, that being the date of his settlement in Nebraska. Homesteaded the place on which he now lives, and owns eighty acres of well improved farm land. Was married in Illinois in 1871, to Miss Mary E. Bivens, their family consisting of two sons--George W. and Joseph R.
JAMES T. PINKERTON, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 5, Town 9 Range 2 east, P. O. Beaver Crossing, was born in Lawrence County, Penn., Nov 28, 1835, and lived in his native State until the breaking-out of the war. In 1862, enlisted in the One Hundred and Thirty-fourth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, Company A, serving about one year, and then returned to Pennsylvania, and in October, 1865, came west to Jackson County, Iowa, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits until the spring of 1870, then removed to Nebraska and took up a homestead on Section 4, Town 9, Range 2 east, N Precinct, on which he lived until 1874, and then moved on the place where he now lives, and is at this writing Justice of the Peace in N Precinct. Mr. Pinkerton was married in Pennsylvania in 1859, to Miss Sarah A. Donley.
IRWIN STALL, farmer and stock raiser, Section 5, Town 9, Range 2 east, P. O. Beaver Crossing, was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, March 14, 1841, and is the son of John and Elizabeth Stall, who were among the early settlers of Ohio. The subject of this sketch remained here until 1865, when he came west to Monroe County, Iowa, and purchased a farm which he considered quite an improvement on the old farms of his native State. Here he resided until Nov. 28, 1868, when he removed to Grundy County, Mo., where he farmed for one year, and in the fall of 1870 came to Nebraska and purchased the Thomson ranch, situated on the old freight trail from Nebraska City to Fort Kearney, which he afterward converted into a stock farm and successfully operated since that time. Mr. S. has about thirty head of cattle and owns 240 acres of land in this section, nearly all under fence. Served as Assessor of the precinct for three terms, and was married in Ohio, March 14, 1867, to Miss Hannah Capper, of Harrison County, Ohio, who died in Nebraska, October 23, 1873. He was married to his present wife, Miss Sarah A. Lazenby, March 14, 1875, their family consisting of seven children, viz., Robert C., David J., Irwin C., Cash and John D., who are twins; Dock and Emma L., the only girl.
STEPHEN C. TREMPER, farmer on Section 8, Town 9, Range 2 east, P. O. Beaver Crossing, was born in Jefferson County, N. Y., on the 27th of November, 1826. Came West to Wisconsin in 1846, locating in Dodge County, where he commenced farming and was living here at the breaking-out of the war. In March, 1864, enlisted in the Fourth Wisconsin Cavalry, Company M, serving until the close of the rebellion, and was then sent to Mexico in Government service, being in the army nearly three years. Then returned to Wisconsin, where he lived till 1871, that being the time of his removal to Nebraska. Took up a homestead, which is the place where he now resides, and was among the early settlers of that precinct. He was married in Dodge County, Wis., in 1847, to Miss Maria J. Fisher, by whom he has seven children living, James C., Eugene H., Ella M., Edward, Dora, Cora and Elgar.
F. W. UPTON & BRO., P. O. Milford, proprietors of the West Blue Stock Farm, Sections 9, 15, 16 and 17, N precinct, Seward County. This farm is situated on the West Blue River, and is one of the largest farms in the county, containing 2300 acres. When purchased by the present owners two years ago, there were no improvements upon it with the exception of 110 acres of breaking. There are now 510 acres under the plow. The balance is used for grazing. One and a quarter sections of pasture is fenced. Their stock at present consists of 200 head of graded cattle, 400 hogs and 950 sheep. They estimate that their land, when fully stocked, will accommodate 2,500 sheep, 300 cattle and 500 to 1,000 hogs. The work upon the farm is done by eight teams. Their farm buildings consist of a barn 70 x 100, with stable-room for fifteen horses and thirty cattle, and a bay holding 100 tons of hay; one stock-shed, 45 x 100, which will accommodate 100 cattle and fifty tons of hay; one sheep-shed 24 x 100, the loft of which is used for hay; another sheep-shed, 30 x 300; a hay barn, 26 x 80; granary, 20 x 30, horse and carriage house, 16 x 20. Have a four-ton Fairbanks scale and two Eclipse Wind-mills for pumping water and grinding feed. They also have plans drawn for building one of the finest pig-pens in the State, 52 x 400, containing about eighty-five apartments. Each of the two brothers have a two-story residence. Frank W., of this firm, is a native of Massachusetts, having been born in Franklin County, January 16, 1849; Arthur E., of Michigan, born in Clinton County on the 17th of April, 1863.
CHARLES L .SMITH, farmer, Section 12, Town 9, Range 3 east, P. O. Milford, was born in Union County, Ohio, April 20, 1837, being the son of Alex. and Ann W. Smith née Lyon, his father being of German extraction. They removed to Washington County, Iowa, in 1850, Charles going with them, and here commenced farming. The subject of this sketch remained at home, going to school during the winter and working on the farm in the summer, until the fall of 1862, when he enlisted in the late war, in the Thirtieth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, Company E. He served nearly two years, and was then discharged on account of poor health, which rendered him unfit for active service. Then returned to Iowa, and, in the spring of 1866, came to Nebraska and took up a homestead on Section 4, Town 9, Range 3 east. In the fall of the same year, purchased a farm on Section 12, O Precinct, being the one where he now lives, containing 360 acres. His farm has fine improvements, consisting of a nice residence, one and one-half stories high, and 24 x 24 feet, with a large addition; his barn is 24 x 32 feet, and these improvements are quite a contrast to what he first lived in, which was a dug-out on the side of the river bank. Mr. Smith owns over one hundred head of cattle, of fine graded stock, and in addition to this has 200 hogs of the best breed. He was married, March 26, 1867, to Miss Sally M. Ecroid, of Keokuk County, Iowa. He has been a member of the Congregational Church at Milford for eight years, and his wife was one of the original members of that society. Mr. Smith is President of the State Bank at Milford.
THOMAS BAILEY, farmer, Section 2, Town 9, Range 4 east, P. O. Pleasant Dale. He came to Nebraska in the fall of 1869, and took up a homestead which forms a part of his farm on which he now lives. He owns a section of land, one-half being near Crete, his home farm containing the other half, 250 acres of which is under cultivation. Mr. Bailey keeps from seventy-five to one hundred head of cattle, and has the only stone residence in the precinct, which is 29 x 19 feet, two stories high, with an addition 12 x 16 feet. The subject of this sketch was born in Lincolnshire, England, on the 19th of July, 1846, and emigrated to the United States in 1865; stopped in Montgomery County, N. Y., but after living there a short time came West to Iowa, and located in Clinton County, where he was married, in 1869 to Miss Tilda Roberts, and the same year came to Nebraska.
HON. LUTHER CHADDOCK, farmer, Section 18, Town 9, Range 4 east, P. O. Milford, came to Nebraska in 1866, and purchased the farm on which he now lives, and was one of the first settlers in P Precinct. He owns 480 acres of land, 320 of which are in the place where he now lives. Mr. C. makes a specialty of stock-raising, keeping on hand from forty to seventy-five head of cattle and 150 hogs. He has improved his farm, until he now has one of the nicest farms in that part of the country, there being on it a large barn, 38 x 40 feet, a small orchard and a grove of timber. His residence is 22 x 16 feet, besides the addition, and is one and one-half stories high. Mr. C. was elected Representative from Seward County in the Assembly in the fall of 1880. He was born in Genesee County, N. Y., June 12, 1839, and was married, in 1876, to Miss Maud E. Lamson, daughter of Joseph Lamson, a very old settler of Seward County.
JOSEPH R. STAUFFER, farmer, Section 5, Town 9, Range 3 east, P. O. Milford, was born in Germany, on the 8th of June, 1852. Came with his parents to the United States in 1866, who first settled in McLean County, Ill., two years; then he moved with his parents to Livingston County, Ill., where the subject of this sketch lived until the spring of 1878, when he came to Nebraska and bought the farm on which he now lives, consisting of 160 acres. Mr. S. was married January 1, 1880, to Miss Mattie Bender, of Iowa. They are both members of the Amish Mennonite Church.
ABRAHAM STUTZMAN, farmer, Section 4, Town 9, Range 3 east, P. O. Milford, was born in Holmes County, Ohio, February 13, 1826, and in 1853 was married to Miss Magdaliana Trory, who was also a native of that State. Here he lived until 1873, when he came West to Nebraska, settling in Seward County, on the place where he now lives, his first house being made of sod. After getting comfortably established in his new home, he wrote letters back to his relations and former neighbors, giving them a description of the country and urging them to come to Nebraska, which a good many of them accordingly did, this being the cause of the present settlement of his people around him, consisting of about fifty families. In the spring of 1876, this society erected a church building, 48 x 35, on the southwest quarter of Section 9, the first pastor who officiated there being the Rev. Paul P Harshberger, and they now have a membership of over one hundred persons.
CHRISTIAN J. STUTZMAN, farmer, on Section 5, Town 9, Range 3 east, P. O. Milford, was born in Holmes County, Ohio, in April 1827. He remained on the old homestead in Ohio, and never moved till he came to Nebraska, which was in 1876. On his arrival here, he settled on the place where he now lives, and owns eighty acres of land. The subject of this sketch was married in Ohio, in 1852, to Miss Elizabeth Mast, by whom he has eight living children--Moses C., Sarah, Peter, Jonathan, Joas, Henry, Joseph and Malinda. Mr. Stutzman and wife are both members of the Amish Mennonite Church.
DAVID C. TIFT, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 2, Town 9, Range 3 east, P. O. Milford, was born in Chenango County, N. Y., on the 12th of May, 1815. After serving an apprenticeship at the shoemaker's trade, he left his native State in 1836, coming West to Trumbull County, Ohio. Lived here until 1861; then removed to McDonough County, Ill., and commenced farming, remaining there till 1866, that being the date of his removal to Nebraska. Took up a homestead, which is the land on which he now lives, and now has one of the finest orchards in that part of the county. Was married in October, 1837, in Trumbull County, Ohio, to Miss Diantha Kelley, of that State. They have had seven children, only four of whom are now living--Silas J., Semer B., William P. and Orlo S.