NEGenWeb Project
Kansas Collection Books

Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska

Valley County
Produced by
Michelle Wiggins and Connie Snyder.


Natural Features and Productions | Early History | First Things
Organization and Elections | Progress of the County
Ord:   Early History | Later Improvements | Local Matters


Ord:  Biographical Sketches
North Loup:   Early History | Biographical Sketches

Part 2


   H. A. BABCOCK, County Clerk Valley County and dealer in real estate, B. & M. R. R. lands, etc., first came to Nebraska May 15, 1872. Located on a homestead nine miles southeast of Ord Village, Section 2, Town 18, Range 13, 160 acres, sixty-five of which are under cultivation. He farmed five years. Also owns 160 acres in Myra Valley, and one-half interest in 160 acres on Section 28, Town 19, Range 13; 160 acres one and a quarter miles from the village of Ord on the southwest quarter of Section 17, Town 19, Range 14; and forty acres on Section 2, northeast quarter of northeast quarter, Town 18, Range 13; also village property. Was elected County Clerk in the fall of 1866. Elected first Sheriff of Valley County March 18, 1873. He has been re-elected County Clerk three successive terms. Mr. B. is one of the first settlers in Ord. Born in Cattaraugus County, N. Y., May 19, 1842. Parents moved to Rock County, Wis., in 1845. Lived there until 1849, and moved to Waushara County, Wis. Enlisted in the spring of 1863, in Company G, Thirty-seventh Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. Was Sergeant Major. Mustered out in Washington, D. C., July 27, 1865. Went to Albert Lea, Minn., and engaged in photograping a year. Then farmed six years in Brookfield, Linn Co., after which he went to Nebraska. Married August 28, 1862, to Miss Retta O. Bristol, of Kenosha County, Wis. They have two children--Everett C. and Royal O. Mr. B. is a member of Commodore Foote Post, No. 40, of Ord, Neb.

   D. C. BELL, firm D. C. Bell & Co., dealers in all kinds of lumber and building material, opened the business in Ord November 1, 1880. F. O. Bell, of York, Neb., is the other member of the firm. D. C. Bell first located in Aurora, Neb., with a brother, J. H. Bell, for whom he clerked a year. Then clerked in York about eight months. Then went into the lumber business in Hampton until he came to Ord and opened the above. Born in Westmoreland County, Penn., July 19, 1855. Parents moved to Ohio when he was an infant, where they lived ten years; then to Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, and lived until he came to Nebraska. Married in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, January, 1879, to Miss Frances E. Day, of Wisconsin. They have one son--Clark E. Bell.

   JOHN CASE, Postmaster, took charge of the office August 11, 1881. He first came to Nebraska in the spring of 1872, and took a homestead in June of the same year, on Section 32, Town 20, consisting of 169 acres. In the spring of 1854, he moved from Columbia County, Wis., to Jones County, Iowa, and kept a grocery store, in company with Lafayette Scott, in Anamosa, the county seat of Jones County, where he lived about two years, when he moved to Olmsted County, Minn., and bought a farm five miles southeast of Rochester and three miles from Marion, on the direct road between the two towns, at which place the wife of Mr. Case died in July, 1857. Mr. Case remained on his farm until the fall of 1859, when, in company with several relatives and friends, he went to Johnson County, Kan., about forty miles from Kansas City, Mo., and fifteen miles from Lawrence, Douglas County. The summer of 1860 was the season of the hot winds and complete failure of crops in Kansas. It was also the summer of still hotter political strife, in which Lincoln was victorious and slavery received its death-knell. Combats were frequent between the pro-slavery and free State men, which frequently resulted fatally on one side. Thousands of people left Kansas, and among them Mr. Case, who went to Iowa, and settled in Jasper County early in the spring of 1861, where he remained six years, engaged in farming and making shingles. He moved from there to Harrison County, and in the spring of 1867, in company with a nephew, D. A. Post, put up a saw-mill, which he ran, in connection with farming, until the spring of 1872, when he moved to Ord, Neb. He was one of the first County Commissioners of Valley County. Served two terms. Was County Surveyor one term. Born in Ontario County, N. Y., November 19, 1819. Parents moved to Western Reserve, Huron County, Ohio, in 1824. Lived there ten years. Then moved nine miles east of Bloomington, McLean County, Ill., and lived there twelve years. Then to six miles east of Portage City, in Columbia County, Wis., and lived ten years. Then to Jasper County, Iowa, and lived there six years, following farming. Then to Harrison County, Iowa. Farmed and followed saw-milling until he came to Nebraska. Married in Columbia County, Wis., in 1854, to Miss Melissa A. Potter, of Huron County, Ohio. They have one son--Alexander B., now in Montana Territory.

   E. M. COFFIN, firm of Coffin & Grimes, attorneys at law, formed the copartnership in April, 1880. They do a general law and real estate collection and chattel loan business, fire insurance, etc. He first came to St. Paul, Neb., and located in 1878, and engaged in the study and practice of law with Mr. Thomas Darnall, where he continued until January 1, 1880, and located in Ord, Neb. Admitted to the bar of the District Court in Sherman County, by Judge George Gaslin, December 19, 1879. Born in Otsego, Allegan Co., Mich., August 20, 1859; lived in his native State until 1877, attending the Otsego (Mich.) Seminary, and began the study of law in the fall of 1877, in Rochester, Olmsted Co., Minn., in the law office of Judge J. W. Fulkerson, and continued until he came to Nebraska. Married, January 29, 1882, to Miss Olive McMahon, of Ord, Neb. Mr. C. is a member of I. O. O. F., of Ord, Neb.

   L. A. ELLIS, firm of L. A. Ellis & Co., dealers in hardware, stoves and tinware, and trapper's supplies, etc. Opened trade in September, 1881, carries a stock of $3,500. He first came to Omaha, Neb., in 1870, and was book-keeper for the firm of Irwin & Ellis, the latter of the firm was the brother; was in the employ of the above firm ten years; spent one year in the Eastern States. Came to Ord and opened trade. He was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, July 12, 1850.

   J. B. GILLESPIE, proprietor of livery, sale and feed stables, began the business in Ord in April, 1881; keeps about twenty head of horses; owns a barn 30x60 feet, and cost about $800. He operates Mail Route No. 34,144, between St. Paul and the Forks Post Office, sixty-five miles' run. He first located at Coatsfield, Howard Co., Neb., 1871; drove a team for the United States Government two seasons; then went with a surveying party 150 miles northwest of St. Paul, the season of 1873. Married in the fall of 1873, to Miss Anna Eliza Cook, of Dubuque County, Iowa. They have three sons--Harry A., Lewis C. and Raymond. Born in Dubuque County, Iowa, January 1, 1850. Is a member of I. O. O. F., Ord Lodge, No. 90. Was County Commissioner of Howard County three years. Is at present a member of the Village Board.

   H. M. GRIMES, firm of Coffin & Grimes, attorneys at law, collecting agents and dealers in real estate, insurance agents, etc. Mr. G. first came to Nebraska in April, 1880, locating in Ord; formed the above copartnership in May, 1880. Born in Russellville, Putnam Co., Ind., November 4, 1852; he lived in his native State until the fall of 1876. He began the study of law in July, 1875, in the law office of Thomas Hannah, of Greencastle, Ind., now Lieutenant Governor of Indiana. He continued in the latter office several months, and went to Iowa City, Iowa. Entered the State University of that city, and graduated from the Law Department in June, 1877. Began the practice of his chosen profession in Bedford, Iowa, where he continued until he came to Nebraska. Married in Bedford, in October, 1880, to Miss Mary McCracken, of the latter place. Mr. G. is a member of the I. O. O. F., of Ord, and a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, of Bedford, Iowa.

   DR. F. D. HALDEMAN, physician and surgeon, came to Omaha, Neb., in July, 1880. Attended the Omaha Medical College; was assistant to Dr. S. D. Mercer for U. P. R. R. Hospital; he continued in this labor until he came to Ord, and formed a copartnership with Dr. J. M. Klinker. Was born in Muscatine County, Iowa, October 2, 1859, and lived in his native State until he came to Nebraska. He began the study of medicine in 1877, entering the office of Dr. W. S. Gibbs, of Downey, Iowa, where he continued until the fall of 1878. He then entered the United States Medical College in Iowa City, Iowa; took one course; taught school, etc. Graduated from the Omaha Medical College in March, 1882; was chosen valedictorian of the class.

   FRED L. HARRIS, proprietor of the Valley County Bank, where a regular banking business is transacted; opened for business October 1, 1880, being the first bank opened in Valley County. Deposits equal $15,000. Mr. Harris located in Lincoln, Neb., with his parents in 1872. Attended school until 1876, and then went to Friend, Saline Co., Neb., and went into the banking business under the firm name of Fred L. Harris & Co.; this he continued until 1878, and then engaged in the stock business until the summer of 1880, when he came to Ord. He was born in Boston, Mass., October 11, 1857.

   DR. JOSEPH M. KLINKER, physican and surgeon, first came to Nebraska in 1872, and located in Dannebrog, Howard County. Practiced medicine until April, 1880, then came to Ord and continued his practice; born in Lancaster, Ohio, May 30, 1838; lived in native State until 1844; family then moved to Oskaloosa, Iowa. He lived on a farm until twenty-one years of age; began the study of medicine in 1862 with Dr. D. W. Robinson, of Montezuma, Iowa; enlisted August, 1862, in Company B, Fortieth Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry; participated in siege of Vicksburg, Satartia, Miss., and battles near Little Rock, and capture of latter city. All battles in campaigns of Trans-Mississippi, Indian Territory, etc. Mustered out August, 1865, then resumed the study of medicine, attending private medical schools; graduated from Oskaloosa Medical School of Iowa, and practiced in Mahaska County, Iowa, until he came to Nebraska; married in Oskaloosa in 1866, to Miss Cora J. Fry, of latter place. They have two children--Mable and John. He is a member Commodore Foote Post, No. 40, G. A. R., also Examining Surgeon for pensions.

   D. J. MARTZ, firm of Martz & Williams, attorneys at law. D. J. Martz first came to Valley County, Neb., and located at Ord in March, 1880, and continued the practice of law; was born in Somerset County, Penn., on Mason & Dixon's line, November 18, 1850; entered the University of Iowa, at Iowa City, in spring of 1871, attending nine months, then went to Butler County, Iowa; read and practiced law until 1880; admitted to the bar in 1872; admitted to the bar of the District Court at Ord in September, 1880; married in Butler County, Iowa, in 1873, to Miss Sarah Hart, of Butler County; have three children--Warren E., John M. and Lewis M. Mr. Martz is a member of Masonic Order, Alpha Lodge, No. 326. The above law firm have been employed in several important law cases, among which are Greeley County vs. B. & M. R. R., recovery delinquent taxes; Greeley County; United States, John Sheldon, etc.

   R. F. MILFORD, of the firm of R. F. Milford & Co., proprietors Ord City grist and flouring mills. The mills were erected in the summer of 1880; began operations January, 1881; size 20x30 feet, two and one-half stories high; built of wood. There are two runs of stone for grinding wheat and one for feed. The mill has a capacity of grinding 300 bushels of wheat in twenty-four hours, and 200 bushels of feed. There is seven feet fall; cost of the structure is somewhat over $6,000, and is located on North Loup River. Mr. Milford first located in Ord in 1880. He was born near Parker City, Penn., June 26, 1845; was raised on a farm and lived in his native State until coming to Nebraska. He was married in Pennsylvania December 5, 1872, to Miss Sarah A. Robb, of North Washington, Penn. They have three children--Ione, Ola and Lena D. The above mills are owned by R. F. & G. W. Milford, brothers, and operated by R. F. Milford.

   PETER MORTENSEN, County Treasurer, came to Valley County in April, 1872, and entered the northeast quarter of Section 8, Town 19, Range 14, where he erected the first house in the county, being one-half dug-out and one-half log. Said house served as Treasurer's office until the spring of 1876, as the first schoolhouse in Ord District, and the first trial held in the county being an assault and battery case of Sam. Hawthorne, vs. John McKeller, was held in the same house. Mr. Mortensen was elected County Treasurer in the fall of 1874, and by re-election has held the office since. He was born in Denmark October 8, 1844; came to America in June, 1870; was married February 16, 1878, to Miss Jennie H. Williams, of West Paw Paw, Lee Co., Ill.

   HENRY W. NELSON, dealer in general line household furniture, opened trade in January, 1882; carries a stock of $500. His parents located in Omaha in 1862, where he lived with them for twelve years. He learned to be pressman in the Omaha Bee office, and in 1874 he came to Valley County, Neb., and located a homestead and timber claim containing 320 acres, seven miles south of Ord, on Section 10, Town 18, Range 15, sixty acres of which are under cultivation. He was born in Sweden March 5, 1852; came to America with his parents in 1862. He was married in Ord, August 3,1879, to Miss Lura Abel, a native of Ohio. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. of Ord. He has been County Surveyor of Valley County for five years; edited the Valley County Courier one and a half years, beginning in 1878.

   A. M. ROBBINS, attorney at law, was born in McHenry County, Ill., in 1849. Shortly after this his folks moved to Boone County Ill., where he lived on a farm until the spring of 1866, when he struck out for himself. Going to De Kalb County in same State, he continued to work by the month as a farm hand until the spring of 1868, when he entered the Teacher's Institute and Classical Seminary of East Paw Paw, Ill., and commenced a course of studies. He continued his attendance at the institute (with the exception of winters when he was teaching) until July 4, 1873, when he graduated and had conferred upon him the degree of Bachelor of Science. A few weeks after he graduated, he commenced the study of law in the office of A. K. Truesdell, of Dixon, Ill., and was admitted to practice in the fall of 1875, before the Supreme Court of that State, and in December of the same year was admitted to practice at Omaha. On January 1, 1876. he opened an office at Papillion, Neb., and soon accumulated a successful and lucrative practice. He continued in practice there until April, 1881, when he moved to Ord. He now has a large and lucrative practice, and bids fair to make his influence felt throughout the State. He was married in 1872, to Miss Cyntha C. Haskell, a resident of De Kalb County, Ill., who also is a graduate of the Classical Institute, of Paw Paw, Ill. Mr. Robbins is largely interested in real estate in and around Ord. He being one of the original proprietors of the town. Any business intrusted to his care will receive prompt and safe adjustment.

   A. D. ROBINSON, general dealer in agricultural implements, began the business February 1,1882, and keeps all kinds of implements and machinery. He first located on a homestead in Howard County in April, 1878, and farmed two and a half years; then moved to St. Paul and engaged in the implement business during the season of 1881, then to Ord. He was born in Tekonsha, Mich., October 16, 1850; lived in his native State until he came to Nebraska. He was married in Marshall, Mich., 1872, to Miss Estella I. Bickford, of Honeoye Falls, N. Y. They have one daughter--Grace. Mr. R. is a member of St. Paul Lodge, No. 82, A., F. & A. M.

   H. G. ROGERS, dealer in general merchandise, opened business in April, 1881, and carries a stock of $7,000 in a general line of merchandise. He first came to Nebraska in the spring of 1876, and clerked in Seward a year; then began business in Aurora under the firm name of Rogers & Co., and continued three years. The firm was known as Rogers Bros., one and a half years of the time. He then located in Ord, Neb., and began business. He was born in Walden, Caledonia Co., Vt., February 2, 1852; lived in his native State until 1871, and went to Colorado, where he engaged in mining until he returned to Nebraska. He was married in Aurora, Neb., in 1880, to Miss Jessie Wheeler, a native of Pennsylvania. They have one son--Hollis Frank. Mr. R. is a member of Aurora Lodge, No. 68, A., F. & A. M.

   EDWARD D. SATTERLEE, was born in Ireland, and went to Brazil, South America, working as machinist. He came to the United States in 1868, and engaged in the drug business in Michigan for about two and a half years, then went back in South America, joining the army of Gen. Mitre, in Buenos Ayres, Argentine Republic; was promoted a Lieutenant in the French Argentine Regiment of Zouaves, and after the regiment was captured by Gen. Rosso, at Entre Rios, he escaped to Mendoza and from thence to Paraguay. He again came to the United States in 1875, enlisting in the regular army in Company K, Fourteenth United States Infantry; served five years on the frontier, over four years as a non-commissioned officer; was mustered out at Bear River, Colo., May 27, 1880; came to Ord and built a hotel--the Satterlee House. He engaged in the drug business in Ord in 1880 and the summer of 1881. He is now running one of the best hotels in Northwestern Nebraska.

   JOSEPH SLOBODNY, firm of Wacek & Slobodny, dealers in all kinds of farm implements, machinery, and dealers in grain. Opened business in Ord, January, 1882. Mr. S. first located in St. Paul, Howard County, in April, 1876; farmed and clerked in a store until he came to Ord and began the above business. Born in Bohemia, Europe, March 19, 1860; came to America in 1865, with his parents, and settled near Prague, Minn., where he lived until he came in Nebraska.

   G. H. STOVER, dealer in general merchandise, opened trade June 1, 1882; carries stock of $7,000 in general merchandise. He first located in Lincoln, Neb., in the spring of 1872; clerked in a grocery store for two years; farmed two years, and then worked as a carpenter for A. & N. R. R., in Atchison, Kan., a year; then returned to Lincoln, Neb., and clerked in a grocery store four years; then came to Ord and kept the Satterlee Hotel eight months, previous to entering into the above business. He was born in Newburg, Cumberland Co., Penn., October 11, 1856, and lived in his native State until he came to Nebraska.

   HERBERT THURSTON, Sheriff of Valley County, first settled three miles northeast of Ord on a pre-emption claim in May, 1873, and farmed three years; then moved into the village and opened the first blacksmith shop in Ord in 1876, which business he continued until he was elected Sheriff in the fall of 1879; was re-elected to the same in the fall of 1881. He was born in Franklin County, Me., August 14, 1850, and lived in his native State until 1853. His parents then moved to Waushara County, Wis. He was raised on a farm, and learned his trade in the village of Richford, Waushara County. He was married in Waushara County, Wis., in 1871, to Miss Almena A. Holcomb, a native of Steuben County, N. Y. They have two children--Mary and Ray L. Mr. T. is a member of the Ord Lodge, No. 90, I. O. O. F., and Treasurer of the same.

   HOMER A. WALKER, dealer in drugs, stationery, notions, etc., opened trade July 1, 1881; carries a stock of $2,000 in a general line of drugs, etc. He first located at Seward, Seward Co., Neb., in the fall of 1868, with his parents (his father, Dr. L. Walker, was engaged in the drug trade), and obtained a knowledge of pharmacy in the store of his father, remaining until March, 1877. Then opened business in the drug trade at Aurora, Hamilton Co., Neb., where he continued until he came to Ord. Was born near Mt. Vernon, Ohio, August 20, 1854, the family then moved to Illinois, and lived some time in that State; then to Monmouth, Iowa, and other places in the same State. Married in Lincoln, Neb., December 18, 1879, to Miss Kate E. Stover, of Newburg, Penn. They have one son--George Elmer. Mr. W. is a member of Aurora Lodge, No. 68, A., F. & A. M.

   B. C. WHITE, dealer in general merchandise, opened trade in Ord in June, 1881; carries a stock of $5,000. He came to Ord in the fall of 1880, and engaged in the live-stock business. Now owns a large stock ranch fifty miles above Ord on North Loup River, where he has at present 500 head of cattle. Owns 1,120 acres of fine, grazing lands. He began the latter business in the spring of 1879. He first came to Nebraska in 1859, and followed freighting from Plattsmouth, Neb., to Denver, Colo., and, in 1861, enlisted in the Indian volunteer service on the frontier; traveled extensively in Dakota, Colorado, Nebraska and Wyoming for five years, being a member of Company L, Seventh Regular Iowa Cavalry, and participated in many skirmishes; mustered out in June, 1866, and lived in Iowa City and Muscatine three years. Returned to Nebraska and located at Valley, Douglas County, and engaged in mercantile and stock business ten years. Born in Cincinnati, Ohio, February 8, 1840. Married in Muscatine, Iowa, in 1867, to Miss Louisa Gillis, a native of Tennessee. They have four daughters and one son--Cora M., Jennie B., George B., Lydia E. and Maggie E., the two latter by a second wife. He is a member and Adjutant of Commodore Foote Post, No. 40, G. A. R.; also I. O. O. F., No. 90, of Ord, Neb. First wife died in 1877; again married in 1879, to Miss Ella E. Patton, of Iowa City, Iowa.

   J. C. WHITE, dealer in general stock merchandise, opened trade January, 1, 1882; carries a stock of about $5,000, with an average cash trade of $2,000 per month; born in Bath, Steuben Co., N. Y., April 27, 1836; lived in native State seventeen years; parents then moved to Berlin, Wis.; the family were reared on a farm. Mr. J. C. White worked as a farm hand by the month; clerked in one general store in Berlin, Wis., thirteen years, then located in Independence, Kan.; dealt in real estate three years; kept a general store in Kaneyville, Kan., one and one-half years, then opened the first store in Jonesburg, Kan., which latter place he gave its name; kept store four years, after which he came to Ord; married in Berlin County, Wis, 1867, to Miss Mary Sorrenson, of Copenhagen, Denmark; have two children--Mary L. and Frank B.

   W. H. WILLIAMS, of the firm of Martz & Williams, attorneys at law, collecting, etc., first located in Ord in the spring of 1880 and formed the above copartnership. He was born in Henry County, Ky., September 6, 1840, and lived in his native State until October, 1855, when he moved to Manhattan, Kan.; was raised on a farm. He enlisted in the spring of 1861 in Company G, Eighth Regiment Illinois Volunteer infantry; participated in the battles of Fort Donelson, Magnolia Hill, Raymond, Champion Hill and the siege of Vicksburg; was Second Lieutenant of his company and was promoted to First Lieutenant; was appointed Brevet Captain and Brevet Major, holding the latter until he was mustered out May 20, 1866. He then engaged in horticulture in Kansas five years; then went to Santa Barbara, Cal., and prospected in many places on the Pacific coast; returned to Washington County, Iowa, and began the study of law in 1875; was admitted to the bar in 1877; began the practice of law in Monroe, Iowa; continued until he came to Clay County, Neb., practicing a few months, then to Ord; admitted to the bar in the District Court in Geneva, Neb., in the fall of 1879.


   This thriving village is situated on the level bottom lands in the valley of Mira Creek and North Loup River, on the west side of the river, and near where Mira Creek flows into it. Around North Loup is the most fertile land of the county. The town is settled by a moral and industrious class of people. The business men are enterprising, and are securing a large trade from the country naturally tributary to it.

   It was at and around this town that the Wisconsin colony of Seventh-Day Baptists selected a location in the fall of 1871, where they moved to in May, 1872. During the first two years of the settlement of the county, the North Loup settlement was the only settlement, except the small one on Dane Creek, in the county, and even since that time it has had the largest number of permanent settlers around it of any point in the county.

   The settlement was formed by the religious society above mentioned, for the purpose of separating themselves from those who celebrated the first day of the week as the Sabbath, and thus avoid the confusion that always exists where one portion of the people observe one day of the week for rest, and the other portion observe another. The leaders of this society thought that if they could select a home on the frontier and form a large colony of their own church people, they would escape the annoyance to which they had before been subjected. Among the leaders of this colony were Dr. Charles Badger, Rev. Oscar Babcock, A. H. Davis and C. P. Rood, whose names have since become closely identified with the progress of the county.


   The colony settled on the richest bottom lands of the Loup and Mira Valleys, and, during the first summer, they lived here without the advantage of a school, post office or store. In the fall of 1872, however, a post office called North Loup was established, and Rev. Oscar Babcock, the pastor and leader of the colony, appointed Postmaster. The following winter was spent in hauling logs. In the spring, a dug-out fourteen feet square was constructed for a schoolhouse, in which school was taught in the summer of 1873, by Miss Kate Badger, now Mrs. W. J. Holliday. The first schoolhouse was built of cedar logs, and finished about January 1, 1874. This was upon Mr. O. Babcock's homestead, near the present site of the town. The following fall, W. J. Holliday started a store on his homestead, within a quarter of a mile from the present town site.

   There was no desire on the part of the colonists to build up a town, but, as soon as the store, post office and schoolhouse were built, this naturally formed the center of attraction, and settlement was drawn around them. When the grasshoppers came, in 1874, there were prospects for North Loup soon making considerable of a village, but, from the destruction of crops, everything came to a standstill.

   When, in 1878, the immigration to the county began on quite a large scale, the village again began to grow, and increased steadily, until, in June, 1880, it had a population of sixty. During the next year, it continued to grow, and, in the fall of 1881, the railroad question was agitated. North Loup voted bonds to the amount of $4,000 to aid in the construction of the road, and the grade was at once begun, and, by the spring of 1882, had been completed from St. Paul to North Loup.

   As soon as work on the railroad commenced, there was a rush of settlers to North Loup, and soon a large number of buildings were being erected. The town has doubled in size, and the population may be estimated as a little more than two hundred.

   Though the Baptist colony did not become separated from other settlers, as they at first desired, their church has prospered here, and has a membership of nearly two hundred.

   The school which the early settlers labored so manfully to establish has always been well supported, and great care is taken to secure good instructors.

   All branches of business are well represented, and trade is good. The citizens are moral, intelligent and energetic. The town is fast building up, and, with the advent of the railroad, North Loup has certainly bright prospects of becoming one of the larger towns in the North Loup Valley.

   The first marriage in the county, that of Nels Andersen and Miss Martha Mortensen, occurred at North Loup in July, 1873. This couple were married in a cedar log house, without floor or doors, by the pioneer minister, Mr. Babcock. The bride was a sister of the present County Treasurer.

   The first death in North Loup was that of Jehiel Taylor, occurring in December, 1873.

   The first sermon preached in the town was by Elder Oscar Babcock, in May, 1872, in the open air, without tent or other shelter for his small congregation.

   This colony organized a Seventh-Day Baptist Church, in the winter of 1873. It has always been a thriving organization, and now has a membership of 150.


   CHARLES W. ALLEN, attorney at law and dealer in real estate, first came to Nebraska March 15, 1882, finally locating in North Loup in May, 1882, where he engaged in the practice of law and dealing in real estate. He was born in Lorain County, Ohio, December 3, 1854. He lived in his native state until 1860, when he, with his parents, moved to Franklin County, Ill. He lived there two years and then returned to his native State, where he resided until 1878. He entered Oberlin College in 1874; graduated, after taking a classical course in 1878. He studied law in the office of William A. Harris, a brother-in-law, then District Attorney of San Bernadino County, Cal. He was admitted to the bar of the District Court of said county in 1879, and to the Supreme Court of California in 1880, where he practiced until he came to Nebraska. He is a member of the K. of P. Valley Lodge, No. 27, of California, and the order of the Chosen Friends Council, No. 37, of California.

   OSCAR BABCOCK, Postmaster, farmer and stock-raiser, came to Valley County, Neb., and located on a homestead at what is now known as North Loup, in November, 1872. There is now a thriving village containing about five hundred people. The village was laid out by J. A. Green, under the supervision of Mr. Babcock, July 17, 1874, on the northeast quarter of Section 35, Town 18, Range 13, with an addition laid out in June, 1881, by Oscar Babcock; second addition made in May, 1882. Mr. Babcock was President of a Seventh-Day Baptist colony, which was organized in Waushara County, Wis., which colony settled in North Loup in May, 1872. Mr. B. arrived with his family in November of the same year. His wife died in Waushara, Wis., in the fall of 1872. They have four children--Edwin J., Arthur E., Myra and George J. Mr. B., with his small children settled in a dug-out fourteen feet square and lived until the summer of 1873, when he erected a red-cedar block-house. He was pastor of the Seventh-Day Baptist Church for more than five years, preaching the first sermon in a small grove on the bank of the North Loup River, in May, 1872, to a congregation of twenty-five pioneers. He was appointed agent of immigration for Valley County, and has been the means of locating over two hundred families in Valley County. He has been Postmaster since January, 1873. He now owns a timber claim of 160 acres and a one-half interest in the village site. He was born in Cattaraugus County, N. Y., March 15, 1834, and lived in his native State until 1849. His family then moved to Rock County, Wis., where he attended school for five years, then to Waushara County, Wis., being the first of the pioneers in the then wilds of Central Wisconsin. He is a self-educated and thoroughly practical business man. His first wife's maiden name was Metta A. Bristol, of New York State; was again married in 1877, to Miss Hattie E. Payn, of North Loup, who died in February, 1880. Mr. B. was a member of the Wisconsin Legislature in 1865-66; was elected Probate Judge of Valley County, holding the office one term; was County Superintendent of Schools one term; County Commissioner one term, and represented his district one term in the Nebraska State Legislature in 1879.

   DR. CHARLES BADGER was born in Kingsbury, Washington Co., N. Y., on the 21st of March, 1824. He lived in his native State until eighteen years of age, during the last three years of which he taught in the public schools of his native town. From this time until the age of twenty-two he studied theology. From twenty-two to twenty-seven years of age, he studied medicine and clerked in a store. On June 9, 1851, he went before Drs. Johnson and Bartlett, of Milwaukee, Censors of the State Medical Society of Wisconsin, and passed a medical examination, and by their recommendation received the society's diploma at the hands of Alfred L. Castleman, who was then President of the society. In the same month he commenced the practice of medicine with A. L. Castleman, at Delafield, Waukesha Co., Wis. On March 31, 1853, he was married to Samantha L. Maxson. They have two children--Katie M. and Hettie S. Badger. While living in Wisconsin, Katie married Mr. W. J. Holladay, railroad contractor. Hettie S. married James Vernon, an English gentleman. Dr. Badger graduated March 14, 1871, at the Chicago Medical College, the Medical Departmentof the Northwestern University receiving the College and University seals. He practiced medicine in Waukesha, Dodge, Dane and Rock Counties, Wis.; McHenry County, Ill., and Clinton County, Iowa. In the spring of 1872, he came to Valley County, Neb., and located on Section 26; broke 120 acres; took a timber claim and broke forty acres, and planted twenty trees. He practiced medicine in Valley, Sherman, Howard, Greeley and Taylor Counties for nearly eight years, when overwork and failing health compelled him to abandon it. He was appointed by the Governor to register votes of Valley County; was Coroner three terms; Justice of the Peace one term; first County Superintendent of Public Instruction for Valley County; fought through the first public highway; built the first bridge and gave to North Loup its name.

   NEHEMIAH BEE, dealer in dry goods, drugs and groceries, opened business in North Loup in May, 1879. He carries a stock of about $1,000 in goods. He first came to the above village in 1878, and engaged in farming until he began trade. He owns a farm on Section 36, Town 18, Range 13--160 acres, twenty of which are under cultivation. He also owns quite an amount of village property. He was born in Doddridge County, W. Va., June 17, 1838; moved to Freeborn County, Minn., in 1865; farmed until he came to Nebraska. He was married in West Virginia, December, 1863, to Miss Celia Lowther, of Ritchie County, latter State. They have three children--Emma C., Raymond N. and Jennie L.

   S. A. PARKS, dealer in real estate, wagon-maker, etc., first located in what is now known as North Loup; he bought some railroad land and engaged in farming two years, then settled in the village and kept a livery and feed stable a year, then kept a blacksmith and wagon shop. He now owns a fine stock farm on Section 14, Town 13, Range 18, containing 111 acres, forty of which are under cultivation, with ten acres of young timber. He also owns a part of the village plat. Was born in Pittsburgh, Penn., February 8, 1848; family moved to Ashland, Ohio, then to Cornwall, Canada, and from thence to St. Lawrence County, N. Y.; enlisted December, 1863, in Company H, Ninety-third Regiment New York Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the battles at Winchester and Harper's Ferry, and many skirmishes; was mustered out December, 1865; went to Appleton, Wis., and attended the Lawrence University, also taught several terms of school in Minnesota; went to Chicago, Ill., and engaged in the grocery trade some time, then to the Black Hills, and to Yankton, D. T., etc. He was married in Omaha, Neb., May 15, 1878, to Miss Mary Thomas, of Elvira, Iowa. They have one daughter, Breezie Ethel.

   THOMAS L. REDLON, attorney at law, first came to North Loup August 19, 1879, and taught the higher department of North Loup School, two winters and one summer, since which time he has been in the practice of law and dealing in real estate; also, Land Agent for the B. & M. R. R.; was born in Granger, Allegany Co., N. Y., October 5, 1846; lived in native State until 1853, and went with his parents to Waushara County, Wis.; lived in Plainfield until 1861; enlisted September 24, of same year, in Company E, First Regiment Wisconsin Cavalry; was on scouting duty two and a half years; re-enlisted in Eighth Wisconsin Battery; participated in the battle at Nashville in 1864; was head clerk in the office of Brig. Gen. Van Cleve; was mustered out at Milwaukee, Wis., August 10, 1865; attended school in Prairie du Chien, Wis., some time; began the study of law and was admitted to the bar of the Circuit Court June 3, 1868; elected County Superintendent of Public Instruction for Crawford County, Wis., and served one term; came to Nebraska in 1874; is a member of St. Paul Lodge, No. 82, A., F. & A. M. He was married in Crawford County, Wis., 1866, to Miss Edline Richardson, of the latter county. They have four daughters--Marcella J., Minnie E., Bertha A. and Serena A.

   JOHN SHELDON, dealer in general merchandise, opened business April 1, 1881; carries a stock of about $3,300; deals largely in agricultural implements. He first came to Nebraska in the fall of 1871, and located a claim three miles southeast of North Loup, consisting of 145 acres, ninety of which is now under cultivation. He also owns quite an amount of village property; moved into village in March, 1882. He first located in Scotia, Greeley County, in the spring of 1879, and engaged in the mercantile business three years; was County Treasurer of the latter county six years, being elected in the fall of 1876; was born in Germany August 31, 1848; came to America with his parents in 1854, settling in Waushara County, Wis., and lived until 1871, clerking for Oscar Babcock in a general store; came to Nebraska as one of a committee of four to locate the Dakota Colony, from Waushara County, Wis. He was married in Waushara County September 21, 1871, to Miss Mary A. Brown, of the latter county and place. They have three children--Ida L., Irving and Lewis. The names of the committee who came to find a location for the colony were Charles P. and Herman Rood, Mansel Davis and John Sheldon. There was only one house in what is now the village of St. Paul, and only one dug-out north of that place, which constituted all the settlers in North Loup Valley.

   S. C. TERRY, dealer in groceries and hardware, opened business April 3, 1882; carries a stock of about $1,200. He first located about two and a half miles southwest of North Loup on a homestead, in the spring of 1873, being the first man to locate permanently in Myra Creek Valley. He was born in Warren County, N. Y., October 17, 1852; lived in his native State until 1854; parents moved to Welton, Clinton Co., Iowa. He was raised on a farm; lived in Iowa until he came to Nebraska; was married in Valley County, Neb., in 1878, to Miss Emma Rood, of Waushara County, Wis. They have one son, Loyal Erwin. Mr. Terry and family are members of the Seven-Day Baptist Church of North Loup.

   CHARLES H. WELLMAN, dealer in general merchandise, opened business May 1, 1881, at North Loup. He first came to Greeley County in the spring of 1872, and took up a homestead on Sections 31 and 32, Town 18, Range 12, consisting of 160 acres; now has seventy under cultivation; followed farming until he came to the village of North Loup; was Coroner of Greeley County six years, and Justice of the Peace two years, and a member of the first locating committee. He was born in Peru, Berkshire Co., Mass., May 28, 1842. His parents (now deceased) moved to Newton, Marquette Co., Wis. He was married in May, 1868, to Miss Mary A. Francisco, of the latter county. They have three children--Loell C., Clarence E. and Clyde.

Top of Page   First Page

County Index