CORNISH
  NEW HAMPSHIRE



Cornish - Windsor Covered Bridge

Established in 1763, the town was once known as Mast Camp, because it was the shipping point for the tall masts floated down the river by English settlers. Incorporated in 1765 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth, it was named for Sir Samuel Cornish, a distinguished admiral of the Royal Navy. Cornish has historically been and continues to be a well-known summer resort for artists and writers. Seeking a studio away from the summer heat of New York City, sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens began coming to Cornish in 1885. Artist friends followed him, including painter and illustrator Maxfield Parrish, who designed and built his estate, the Oaks, in the area. The surrounding area became the center of the popular Cornish Art Colony.

Cornish is the site of the longest wooden covered bridge in the United States, and the longest two-span covered bridge in the world. The Cornish-Windsor Covered Bridge, which spans the Connecticut River, was built in 1866 at an original cost of $9,000.

Cornish also gained notable attention on January 27, 2010 when American author J. D. Salinger died in the local hospital. He was 91 years old.


 


Resources
 

Official Town Web Site

George H. Stowell Free Library

A Brief History of Cornish 1763 - 1974

Archives and Records

New Hampshire Vital Records

Sullivan County
 


 

  

1996 - Present
All Rights Reserved