New Hampshire

     Langdon was formed from parts of Walpole and Charlestown and incorporated in 1787.
It is named for New Hampshire Governor John Langdon, who served in the Continental Congress and as a senator.
An agricultural town, it has been noted for its large handsome cattle farms.



Photo courtesy of Calvin Whitney, shows the Langdon class  of 1910 in a one room school house.
Can your identify any of these 1910 Langdon schoolchildren?
Miss May Barnes, teacher, is on the far left, she lived to be almost 100 years old.




History and Genealogical Register of the town of Langdon, Sullivan County, New Hampshire from the Date of its Severance from Walpole and Charlestown from 1787 to 1930 by Frank Burnside Kingsbury, 1930.
 Bicentennial Edition, History of the Town of LANGDON, New Hampshire from 1787 to 1987 with a Genealogical Register from 1930 to 1987 byFrank M. Sellers.
 The Willard Genealogy.  Sequel to Willard Memoir.  Boston, Mass,  Printed for the Willard Family Association, 1915
Materials Gathered Chiefly by Joseph Willard and Charles Wilkes Walker.  Edited and Completed by Charles Henry Pope.
 A Genealogy of the Descendants of Richard Porter and John Porter and Allied Families by Joseph W. Porter, Bangor, 1878.
 Book I and Book III of Virgil W. Huntley's, "John Huntley, Immigrant of Boston & Roxbury, Mass and Lyme, CT 1647 -1977.
William Ensign Lincoln's "Some Descendants of Stephen Lincoln of Wymondham, England; Edward Larkin from England; Thomas Oliver of Bristol, England, Michael Pearce of London, England, Robert Wheaton of Swansea, Wales; George Burrill of Boston, England; John Porter of Dorset, England; John Ayer of Norwich, England and Notes of Related Families", 1930.
The Referenced History of the Putnam Family in England and America, Vol 1 by Matthew H. Putnam and Rand M. Putnam, 2004.
The above books have history of many of the early families of Langdon. Scott Chipman's "Genealogical Abstracts from early New Hampshire Newspapers, Vol I

Langdon Information town and historical information can be obtained at the Shedd - Porter Library

If you are interested in covered bridges, there are two of them in or near Langdon.
McDermott Bridge    Prentiss Bridge



The Langdon Soldiers World War Two monument to boys of Langdon, who lost their lives:
James Benton Porter, Maurice Pelton, Leslie Kemp
The monument is at the entrance to the Village or "upper cemetery" next to the Town Hall.

Langdon Board of Selectmen:
 5 Walker Hill Road, Langdon, NH 03602.
      PH: (603) 835-2389

Langdon School information
Fall Mountain Regional High School  
134 Fall Mountain Road Langdon, NH  03602,         

Sarah Porter School 111 Village Rd,
 Langdon, NH 03602    


Langdon Town Facts

The building of the town hall was completed in 1803. This church and town hall has been known as the old meeting-house, the east meeting-house, the town hall and the Universalist church.  It required many years to select a "spot" for its erection and final completion.  The subject of erecting a meeting house, drawing plans and marking a spot for its erection were considered in town meeting, April 14, 1791, Sept 10, 1792 and March 5, 1793 but not much was accomplished.
Subsequently a petition to the State of NH for a special tax to build a meeting house was made. So far as discovered, no action was taken on the petition.
At a meeting on March 4, 1800 the town chose, Capt. Benjamin PALMER, Levi HOLDEN, Samuel PROUTY, Asa WALKER, John FRENCH, Joseph WILLARD and Jeremiah HOWARD a "Committee to find a Spot to Set a meeting House" and they reported April 1st that "the Best Spot for a meeting house near the Center of the town is on  a knoll Between Capt. [Elijah] Putnam's North Line and the Road where Stands a tall White Birch Stub from 20 to 30 rods west from Capt. Putnam's house".   From Kingsbury's History of Langdon.
The building was designed after the Rockingham, Vermont meeting house and the master builder was probably John CHANDLER of Alstead.  It is also the Universalist Church, but has not held church services there for many years, however, annual Old Home Day church services have been held there in recent decades.  The town offices are located on the ground floor.
Free Web Counter

2014 - Present