The town was first chartered under the name
Burnet in 1752 after William Burnet, colonial Governor of Massachusetts
and New Hampshire in 1728. However, no settlements occurred under the
original charter, so the town was re-granted in 1766 with the name
Acworth, in honor of Sir Jacob Acworth, a British Admiral who had
Portsmouth shipping interests.
the New Hampshire Gazetteer published in 1817, ACWORTH - a post-township of Cheshire county, bounded on the N. by Unity, E. by
Lempster, S. by Alstead and Marlow, W. by Charleston and Langdon, containing 24,846
acres. It was incorporated in 1776, and has 1523 inhabitants. Cold-pond, extending
about a mile on the line of Unity, from 60 to 100 rods in width, and Mitchell’s pond, 120
rods long and 80 wide, are its only ponds of note.
Cold river takes its rise and name from
one of the above mentioned pools in the N.E. corner of this town. Acworth has two
religious societies; 1 meeting-house for the congregational order, 1
grain mill, 5 saw-mills, 2 mills for dressing cloth, 2 carding machines, and 1 trading store. Rev. Thomas Archibald was settled in the ministry here in 1789. Rev. Phinehas
Cook is the present minister of the gospel. The Charleston turnpike road passes through here.
Acworth is 73 miles N.W. by W. from Portsmouth.