SPRINGFIELD NEW HAMPSHIRE
Patsy Heath Caswell.
she is the current president of
the Springfield Historical Society.
The Society provides information about
town history, genealogy, as
well as the sale of
Patsy has agreed to HOST the Springfield web site.
She has retired from
teaching history in Newport, RI.,
Springfield, NH is her
native home, and she
is also related to many of
the old families!
We are fortunate to have her!!!
HISTORY OF SPRINGFIELD
Settlement began in 1772 by Israel Clifford, Ebenezer Lovering, and
Timothy Quimby. The
town was not incorporated until 1794 when it was renamed Springfield.
It is bounded on the north by Grafton, east by Wilmot and New
London, south by Sunapee and New London, West by Croydon, Grantham, and
Enfield. None of the
original grantees settled in town.
settlers made their living farming and lumbering. Mills were constructed along the streams.
There were mica mines in the area.
The summers saw the arrival of people from Washington, DC, and
Springfield has been claimed by three counties.
When George III granted the 1769
charter to John Fisher Esq. and fifty-nine others, it was named
Protectworth and in Grafton County. It
later became part of Cheshire County, and then Sullivan County where it
Springfield is made up of many hills.
There are several lakes and ponds.
The lake closest to the center of town is Lake Kolelemook, once
known as Station Pond. Both
branches of the Sugar and
Blackwater Rivers have their sources in Springfield. The former empties
into the Connecticut River and the latter into the Merrimac River.
The Fourth NH Turnpike, now known as 4A, goes through the eastern
part of town. Route 114
goes from south to west through Springfield village, and Route 89 goes
close to the western boundary of Springfield. Because of this, in 2005, most
people work out of town because Route 89 makes it possible.
Springfield has a growing population and new house construction
is very brisk.
Town Meeting House, built in 1797, has been restored and is still in
use. No church services are currently being held.
One of the few town kindergartens in the state is located
in the Town Offices Building.
The other students attend Kearsarge Regional Schools.
At present there is no country store.
The Libbie A. Cass Library, attached to the Town Offices
Building, is a source of pride. Their
e-mail address is the following: spfldlibrary@cyberportal
. The Town Offices
address is PO Box 22, Springfield, NH, 03284.
There is no e-mail communication available there.
Springfield Historical Society
available through the Springfield Historical Society founded in 1984. Meetings and programs are held quarterly, January, April,
July, and October at the Libbie Cass Library or the Springfield Meeting
House. A newsletter is also
published quarterly preceding the meeting.
The Springfield Historical Museum (former Center School) is open
Saturdays during the summer from 2-4pm.
Some of the research material is available in the New Hampshire
Room at the Libbie Cass Library during the winter.
Contact the library ahead of time.
If you need assistance, please contact me.
information: There is
limited information available for
those of you who are curious about your ancestors.
Volunteers are gathering information as time permits.
The PROJECT STATUS: Not yet started: New
Pleasant View Cemetery, Collins (Dutchman Pond) Cemetery. Over half completed: Old
Pleasant View Cemetery.
Star Lake, Fowlertown, Barden, Messer, and Davis Cemeteries.
Survey data includes inscriptions, and pictures of stones, if
Surname Information available through the Society for surnames :
Colby, Collins, Cross, Hardy, Heath, McDaniels,
Pillsbury, Putney, Sanborn, Severance, Waddell. There
are smaller articles on other families.
The Later Day Saints has made a microfilm of old town
records of births, deaths, etc.