Washington 
New Hampshire
Includes Washington Center and E. Washington

Genealogy and History Information

Washington, New Hampshire is a rural, scenic small town in southwestern New Hampshire, with a scattered population of less than 1000. The landscape is hilly, rugged, rocky, forested -- and
lovely. (It is not near Mt. Washington, the state's highest mountain, which is located 100 miles north among the White Mountains.)  
In 1749 the first survey was made of towns bordering on Massachusetts. These towns were designated as South Monadnock (Jaffrey), North Monadnock (Dublin), Monadnock No. 4 (Fitzwilliam), Monadnock No. 5 (Marlboro), Monadnock No. 6 (Nelson), Monadnock No. 7 (Stoddard), and Monadnock No. 8 (Washington). 
When the 60 proprietors received their charter in 1751, the town was called New Concord. However, the town was never settled, and the grant was revoked.  Reuben Kidder, Esq., of New Ipswitch New Hampshire acquired the grant from the proprietors, he named the town Camden. In 1768 the first settlers arrived in May and camped at the outlet of Millen's Pond. Each was granted 100 acres of land with the privilege of choosing land from any part of the township. 
There were no traces of white man or Indians in the area. Game was plentiful and fish abounded in the streams and ponds. They first built log houses lived in a simple manner. In 1773 the first town census was taken, and there were 132 inhabitants.    
On December 9, 1776 the town was incorporated as Washington and was included in Cheshire County until July 5, 1827, when it became part of the newly incorporated Sullivan County. In 1830 the town population reached a peak of 1,135. 
Many mills were built along the streams and soon Washington was manufacturing lumber, barrel staves, shingles, chair parts, bobbins, whip sockets, hosiery, bricks and washboards. They grew crops and grist mills ground flour. Fifty three tons of maple sugar was being produced in 1886. Wool and mutton were important to the economy of the town. 
Then, like many rural New England towns, it experienced a long decline, as people moved to the cities for employment and to the Mid-West for serious farming. By 1960 the population was down to near 200. 

During the railroad era Washington became known for it's mountain air, healthy water and it's many hotels and tourist homes.  Today, Washington's still clear lakes and ponds, clear mountain air and beautiful scenery has enabled it to remain a tourist area and New Hampshire's best kept secret.  
In recent decades the population has been increasing, colonial homes have been restored, and the town appears to be prosperous; there is now a richly varied and growing mix of professional, working and retired people. The town has no major industry, but many folks travel to Hillsboro (14 miles) and beyond for their daily employment. Washington is rich in lakes and ponds and there are a number of settlements and
developments on their shores. 

Washington Vital Records - Contact Town Clerk  
Janice Philbrick.
Address:  PO Box 223, Washington, NH 03208
Phone: 603-495-3667   Fax: 603-495-3667

The Town Common in Washington Center is famous for its handsome arrangement of white civic buildings, including its classic Town Hall (1787)   Click Here for a Picture

Shed Free Library
46 North Main Street
Washington, New Hampshire, 03280-0288
Phone:  603-495-3592   Fax: 603- 495-0410

Hours: Tuesdays  10:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
Thursdays 1:00 P.M. to 7:00 P.M.
Saturdays 10:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M
July & August only Wednesdays 10:00 to 1:00P.M.

The Washington Historical Society
P.O. Box 90, Washington, NH 03280

The first organizational meeting for the Washington, New Hampshire Historical Society was held in October of 1982. On December 13th, of 1982, 55 people headed by Phil Barker signed the charter, which was registered by the State on January 7th, 1983. 
The Current President is Algrid Krygeris.   If you have a question pertaining to Washington history, or a specific surname,  he will do his best to answer your email.  Be aware, he is generously volunteering his time. Be sure to thank him.  (Click on his name)  
The WHS Maintains a History museum on Half moon Pond Road in Washington Center, and the District # 5 School, an 1849 one room schoolhouse in East Washington. 
WHS Past Presidents were: Philip Barker, Ron Jager,  Mary Yusko 
Harold Yeaton, Sally Krone, Philip Barker, Gwen Gaskell,

 

Washington Area Cemeteries & Burials

Access the Washington Municipal Town Page 

Return to Sullivan County Genealogy and History Page

  Sullivan County Genealogy Project - Founded 1 August 1996
This Town Page founded 14 August 1996
This site created by: Clifford L. Coy
© 1996-2009 The NHGenWeb Project

Updated 10/01/2009

 

                                                                  Powered by counter.bloke.com