Cumberland County ...NJ

The Chronology of Millville Cemeteries and Reinterments.

    In 1801, Joseph Buck, Millville's founder, deeded to Millville Twp. the South  half of a city block to be used as a nondenominational burial ground. This  block was bounded by 2nd Street on the West, 3rd Street on the East,  Sassafras Street on the South, and Pine Street on the North. A small building occupied the Southwest corner and was used as a school house, for town meetings, and by all religious groups. Burial lots were to  the North and to the East of this building. Joseph Buck died in 1803, so was one of the first buried at this location. In later years other locations were established for burial. 

     The First Methodist Church was originally on the site of the present Trinity  Church. They used the area South of the Church for burial. The Presbyterian Church had no actual burial location prior to the building  of their Church in 1838. After the Church was finished they used the area to  the East of the Church for burial. This was the North half of the block mentioned previously as a Twp. burial ground. Prior to 1838 burials of some Presbyterians were on land owned by Nathaniel Foster, he being an original Elder of the Church. This area was along the  Northwest side of Hance's Bridge Road, which, at that time, went diagonally  through town to the bridge at Smith Street. It was bounded by what is today 5th and 6th Streets, and Pine and Mulberry Streets. The Baptist Church, built in 1843, was in the block immediately to the South  of the town burial lot. Their burial location was to the East of the Church. St. Mary's.

    Millville's Roman Catholic Church, took care of their own  reinterment to what is today named Holy Cross Cemetery. Mt. Pleasant Cemetery was established in 1866. From that time on no one was  buried at the original town lot. In 1867 the City of Millville reintered those from formerly Foster's lot to  Mt. Pleasant in order to expand the limits of the City. About 1880 the City of Millville reintered to Mt. Pleasant, some from the  original town lot. On this area was built a combination Fire House, City Hall  and Mayor's Office. About 1887 the Baptist's reintered several gravesites to Mt. Pleasant. 

    In 1893, after purchase of property from the City of Millville, the Board of  Education reintered to Mt. Pleasant, many more graves from the original town  lot. This area was used for the construction of Millville's first High  School, which was immediately North of the Fire House. In 1898, when the Trinity Church decided to expand, all located graves were  reintered to Mt. Pleasant. Many relatives of those to be reintered purchased their own lot at Mt. Pleasant for this purpose. Those with no located relatives, and who had headstones, were buried at the West end of Mt. Pleasant with their stones  abutting each other. This group is the only one firmly identified as to their original burial  location.

 Jack Kelley, Millville Historical Society

Jack was kind enough to provide this explanation to the participants in the NJ-Cumberland County discussion list. It really cleared up a lot of questions and he was kind enough to give me permission to post it here. If you would like to participate in the discussion list:

To subscribe from NJCUMBER-D, (this is the digest form) send a message to

that contains in the body of the message the command


and no other text.  No subject line is necessary, but if your software
requires one, just use unsubscribe in the subject, too.

For more information or to subscribe to the list and get individual messages, go to A good page for those of you mainly interested in Geneology. My focus is really on the general history of the county.

History ] Day Trips ] Waterways ] Cemeteries ] Local Links ]


Return to Cumberland County ALHN Homepage

"History Belongs to All of Us"
Help it come alive,  participate in your local Historic Society.

Site created and maintained by Susan Ditmire, comments & suggestions, always welcome.

The American Local History Network - This site generously hosted by USGenNet(tm)